• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
So atm i use a 4k monitor. But i am moving apartments soon and want to switch back to gaming on my TV. I mostly will game on my TV. But will watch sports and Netflix also on it so it needs to be good for that also.
I have some budget but i am not really feeling to spend like 1000 euro on a TV atm.

HDR is not really needed but if there is a option it needs to be decent atleast.
I am will probably sit arround 2 meters from the TV. Not sure what is the best size for that distance? 40 to 43 probably?

But overall are there good options for that price. Or will i get a mediocre experience?

So i bought the RU8000, 49 inch btw.
Thanks for the help.

Last edited:

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
Someone posted this playing Witcher 3 on the Switch:

It's a Samsung Samsung 55NU7093. Looks like a great 4K TV, it's under £450 in the UK.

May 10, 2019
It's on the low end but is considered one of the best options for a 4k HDR TV under $400

TCL - 43" Class - LED - 4 Series - 2160p - Smart - 4K UHD TV with HDR Roku TV

5947248_sd.jpg;maxHeight=640;maxWidth=550

Link to Best Buy page just to give you an idea

Mack

Banned
May 30, 2019
For 2 meters from the TV, I would aim for 65 inches to really appreciate 4K.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
So atm i use a 4k monitor. But i am moving apartments soon and want to switch back to gaming on my TV. I mostly will game on my TV. But will watch sports and Netflix also on it so it needs to be good for that also.
I have some budget but i am not really feeling to spend like 1000 euro on a TV atm.

HDR is not really needed but if there is a option it needs to be decent atleast.
I am will probably sit arround 2 meters from the TV. Not sure what is the best size for that distance? 40 to 43 probably?

But overall are there good options for that price. Or will i get a mediocre experience?

1CSQEPEm.png

I'm personally sit around 1,8-1,9m from a 55.

The good TCLs everyone raves about are sadly US only.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Make hdr a requirement too. You will see way more of a difference through that than a resolution boost

TUFCfan

Oct 27, 2017
samsung-ue-50ru7400-4k-ultra-hd-50-127-ekran-uydu-alicili-smart-led-televizyon-z.jpg

Samsung 50RU7400.

Has the better Dynamic colour the earlier posted Samsung doesn't have. Can currently be bought for £404 from Crampton & Moore's ebay store with the current ebay discount offer. Plenty of apps, etc.

Mack

Banned
May 30, 2019
Theorry, mid-range Samsung is your way to go. Just get a 50-55 inch RU7xxx from this year and you'll be happy. Decent TVs for a very reasonable price.

Deleted member 4552

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I bought my TV a few years ago but when I was looking into it Sony had the best models for gaming.

Mine is 1080p in the early 4k set days but the input lag is on 12ms, while the picture and colour uniformity is great.

At that stage all the 4K had at best mediocre input lag.

All I can say is focus on input lag first then look towards general image quality.

Deleted member 49319

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 4, 2018
It probably won't be a worthy TV to buy today without decent HDR support.
Turn it off if you don't like it.

Deleted member 2834

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People who claim that HDR is a bigger upgrade than going from 1080p to 4K are taking the piss out of you. Unless you sit very far away from the TV (which you don't), you'll notice 4K a hell of a lot more virtually every single time. The only times I actually noticed HDR was when the implementation was worse than SDR, which happens rather often.

May 10, 2019
I bought my TV a few years ago but when I was looking into it Sony had the best models for gaming.

Mine is 1080p in the early 4k set days but the input lag is on 12ms, while the picture and colour uniformity is great.

At that stage all the 4K had at best mediocre input lag.

All I can say is focus on input lag first then look towards general image quality.

Agree, it's also why I recommend that TCL for it's input lag as it has one of the best in that price range.

Mack

Banned
May 30, 2019
TCL TVs for EU markets are much worse than those for US in terms of HDR and overall picture quality.

Last edited:

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
People who claim that HDR is a bigger upgrade than going from 1080p to 4K are taking the piss out of you. Unless you sit very far away from the TV (which you don't), you'll notice 4K a hell of a lot more virtually every single time. The only times I actually noticed HDR was when the implementation was worse than SDR, which happens rather often.

I honestly noticed HDR way more than 4K when I made the jump from my shitty 1080p TV, but thing is a lot of TVs that are supposed to have HDR has either a fake implementation of it or are not bright enought for showing it properly. You have to go up to almost 1K TVs to have a really good HDR implementation.

Last edited:

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
TCL R series in the US is sub $500 for 55". Not sure if it's comfortable in Europe.

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
I am looking atm at he Samsung UE49NU7170. Seems to have decent input lag also in game mode. 14ms.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
I am looking atm at he Samsung UE49NU7170. Seems to have decent input lag also in game mode. 14ms.

Rtings.com is a useful tool in helping you decide what TV makes sense for you. Not sure if it is still true today but avsforum is another useful tool to get real user feedback on specific TVs.

dedge

Sep 15, 2019
I honestly noticed HDR way more than 4K when I made the jump from my shitty 1080p TV, but thing is a lot of TVs that are supposed to have HDR has either a fake implementation of it or are not bright enought for showing it properly. You have to go up to almost 1K TVs to have a really good HDR implementation.
Yeah HDR stands out tremendously, I don't understand that post at all.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
You can't go wrong with TCL, though I'm not sure if those models are available in EU ?

I know for a fact they're not available in Asia.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
From what I understand about TCL, their US TVs are significantly different from other markets. For instance, I was trying to find a similar model to the recommended US TCL models in the Philippines and all the available ones seemed to be much more inferior at the same or higher price, with confusing model numbers that are hard to search info for.

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
From what I understand about TCL, their US TVs are significantly different from other markets. For instance, I was trying to find a similar model to the recommended US TCL models in the Philippines and all the available ones seemed to be much more inferior at the same or higher price, with confusing model numbers that are hard to search info for.
Yeah i cant seem to find them here either. What is the reason they are worse also?

Deleted member 57990

Banned
Jun 18, 2019
I cheaped out on an LG 4K TV a few years ago and really regretted it. In particular, I hated the local dimming solution, which, because the TV was edge-lit, would cause distracting bands of brightness across the screen.

I ended up selling that TV and buying a more expensive Sony XE90, which uses individual zones of brightness rather than being edge-lit, and am much, MUCH happier with it.

Javier23

Oct 28, 2017
Proper HDR is absolutely and immediately obvious. Even if you still somehow don't care for it, it's not something that is easily missed. Something is clearly wrong on your end, even if it's just the quality of your set. HDR could very easily be argued to be a bigger upgrade than 4K. Given the choice, I personally wouldn't know what I'd pick. I'm just honestly happy to have both.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
I bought a Samsung 49 TV 4k and hdr for a bit less than $600. So far it is great for watching movies and gaming. The wifi was a big bad tho, so I had to run an ethernet cable through the roof, lol.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
My plan was to buy a 4K HDR TV, but my dad bought me a 4K as a gift and I'm not complaining lol. Looks pretty good to me, a big upgrade from 1080p

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah i cant seem to find them here either. What is the reason they are worse also?
IIRC, the Philippines models that were available at the time I was looking had missing HDR-related features like lack of wide color gamut. The model names are also confusing since they sound somewhat similar to the US models, but are completely different, which made looking up reviews near impossible. The closest references I could find was some Australian forum where they seemed to be talking about the same asian models with the same problems (bad HDR, slow boot up times, missing dolby vision, lack of local dimming, etc)

Proper HDR is absolutely and immediately obvious. Even if you still somehow don't care for it, it's not something that is easily missed. Something is clearly wrong on your end, even if it's just the quality of your set. HDR could very easily be argued to be a bigger upgrade than 4K. Given the choice, I personally wouldn't know what I'd pick. I'm just honestly happy to have both.
I've had an HDR TV for a while now and I still think native 4k content has a bigger impact to PQ. Depending on the source, HDR can be very subtle, to the point where I sometimes forget about it.

Deleted member 27551

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Been looking myself at a tv for around 500 for my oldest son for xmas ready for ps5 next year and it needs to be around 43inch. Done alot of searching and I narrowed it down to a samsung ru7470 and an lg7500 with a hisense in there but a family member had one of them and didn't have anything good to say about it. Really dont think you could go wrong with an lg or samsung or maybe Philips 6700 series.

I'm going to get my son the samsung as its VA panel so blacks will be alot better and he doesn't want a Philip's as he wants better than my youngest son lol.

My younger son has a Philip's 6401 and despite what some people will tell you, you can see HDR benefits and its only 350 nits I think. I have an oled and a mu7000 (uk) downstairs so I've seen low/mid and high range HDR and yes mid and high is better mainly due to things like having that extra pop or handling dark scenes better but I really think the Philip's is ok.

The main benefits I like from HDR is you can see more detail. All I can describe it as is when I turn HDR off on a game like call of duty I have to raise the brightness to see in the corners and shadows better where someone maybe hiding which washes out the image but HDR helps you see that detail, but without washing out the image.

Thats just one example and sorry for the wall of txt but I hope it helps

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Been looking myself at a tv for around 500 for my oldest son for xmas ready for ps5 next year and it needs to be around 43inch. Done alot of searching and I narrowed it down to a samsung ru7470 and an lg7500 with a hisense in there but a family member had one of them and didn't have anything good to say about it. Really dont think you could go wrong with an lg or samsung or maybe Philips 6700 series.

I'm going to get my son the samsung as its VA panel so blacks will be alot better and he doesn't want a Philip's as he wants better than my youngest son lol.

My younger son has a Philip's 6401 and despite what some people will tell you, you can see HDR benefits and its only 350 nits I think. I have an oled and a mu7000 (uk) downstairs so I've seen low/mid and high range HDR and yes mid and high is better mainly due to things like having that extra pop or handling dark scenes better but I really think the Philip's is ok.

The main benefits I like from HDR is you can see more detail. All I can describe it as is when I turn HDR off on a game like call of duty I have to raise the brightness to see in the corners and shadows better where someone maybe hiding which washes out the image but HDR helps you see that detail, but without washing out the image.

Sorry for the wall of txt but I hope it helps

lol i was just looking at the ru7470 also. But the 50 inch version. Got some good reviews.
Hisense tv's also are getting good reviews. And i like the android stuff. But i read everywhere they have reliability problems.

Deleted member 27551

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
lol i was just looking at the ru7470 also. But the 50 inch version. Got some good reviews.
Hisense tv's also are getting good reviews. And i like the android stuff. But i read everywhere they have reliability problems.
I know 2 people with a hisense, both the same models just different sizes. One has issues with the wifi and the other person just didn't think much of the picture. They didn't have a dedicated game mode though I know a model up or 2 from theirs will have. The slightly higher up models I cant find much about but they have a 50ms input lag from the only info I have found.

I'd personally go with the samsung there isn't alot in it with the better tvs at that price range. LG is IPS which I personally wouldnt have but it has good response time though and Philip's is decent I think and ambilight is nice. Samsung just seems the better all rounder with what I think has the best contrast to and good low input lag.

Last edited:

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I've had an HDR TV for a while now and I still think native 4k content has a bigger impact to PQ. Depending on the source, HDR can be very subtle, to the point where I sometimes forget about it.

At the end 4K is basically the same for every TV, everyone will have the same resolution on their screen. HDR is more variable between TVs because it's very dependant on the nits of the panel

EffettoNotte

Alt Account
Banned
Mar 17, 2019
If I had to buy a TV I would choose one with freesync since we are "just" one year away from next gen.
Sadly I don't think there are freesync TVs under 500 euro. I know the samusung 55RU8000 has it (the 49inch model doesn't) and it's around 600 euro

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
Are you still looking Theorry ?
I was in the same situation a couple of years ago, went from a monitor to a brand new 4k TV and absolutely couldn't handle the input lag in fast-paced games like Rocket League and competitive shooters. In the end I had to switch back to my old monitor and my SO uses the TV for playing.

So if you're into these kind of games I suggest you pay close attention to that and get a model that has an input lag under 20ms. That'll really reduces your choices though, there ain't that many in the budget segment in Europe since TCL is basically a non-factor here.

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Are you still looking Theorry ?
I was in the same situation a couple of years ago, went from a monitor to a brand new 4k TV and absolutely couldn't handle the input lag in fast-paced games like Rocket League and competitive shooters. In the end I had to switch back to my old monitor and my SO uses the TV for playing.

So if you're into these kind of games I suggest you pay close attention to that and get a model that has an input lag under 20ms. That'll really reduces your choices though, there ain't that many in the budget segment in Europe since TCL is basically a non-factor here.
I have some ideas now but not decided yet. The samsung i posted above is in the top spot now. Also has 14 ms in gaming mode.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Do Samsung QLED justify the price increase?

QLED improves colour accuracy and Is an essential component of many LCD displays which are aiming for a higher colour volume and peak light output.
So in The mid range models I feel this is less important, unless you plan on having the display professionally calibrated, as the colours will be way off anyway.

I don't think that cheaper QLED or quantum dot models are perhaps worth the upgrade for that alone. By the time your are at 8/9 series QLED then it makes sense to use that technology.

As for the OPs post, I don't think you can go too wrong with with Samsung RU7000 series as they have really good input latency.

If you need a smaller set, take a look at some of the Panasonic and Phillips sets, they have a couple of models as smalll as 43inch which have VA panels, so offer better blacks.

I think at 2metres you could comfortably go to 49inch.

The Panasonic X800 is a nice alrounder in a smaller size (10.3ms latency in game mode too apparently)

Last edited:

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
I have some ideas now but not decided yet. The samsung i posted above is in the top spot now. Also has 14 ms in gaming mode.

Man seems like I really bought at the worst time. The 37ms Hisense I bought was pretty good by 2017 standards.
Will probably wait for black friday to change models. Like you I want the lowest price possible.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Thank you for the analysis and suggestion!

I'm looking for a 50-55 inch display, with freesyinc and good input lag, and, of course, can go a bit higher in my budget.

At first I was looking precisely at the RU7, but noticed Q70R and Q80R heavily discounted here https://www.elcorteingles.pt/search/?s=samsung+qled

Hence my question :)
The q70r and the RU7 are super similar, with the Q70r being the premium version.
You will get a slightly thinner set with a more premium feel
Better Anti Reflective finish

and the biggest difference is the inclusion of 50 dimming zones, which will help with the HDR impact and blacker bars on letterbox content.

I would personally choose the Q70r over the RU7 if there is only 200 euro diffrerence.

Nestunt

Oct 27, 2017
Porto, Portugal
The q70r and the RU7 are super similar, with the Q70r being the premium version.
You will get a slightly thinner set with a more premium feel
Better Anti Reflective finish

and the biggest difference is the inclusion of 50 dimming zones, which will help with the HDR impact and blacker bars on letterbox content.

I would personally choose the Q70r over the RU7 if there is only 200 euro diffrerence.

Thanks again :)

Are these good screens for movie watching also?

Nestunt

Oct 27, 2017
Porto, Portugal
If you are coming away from a TV any older than a couple of years old, I think you will be happy. I know it's a bit tricky With TV choice in Portugal, so you perhaps don't have access to the full range of pricing that others do here
Vincent's review is here

Exactly, I was doing my own research using Rtings.com but a lot of models were difficult to find. Additionally, consumer taxes are aggravated here. However, this weekend we'll have tons of price cuts in these products.

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
So i am deciding now between the Samsung RU8000 or the RU7470?
Anyone who has one of them or some other info on it? :)