• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dave_6

Oct 25, 2017
38113489372_1b139a5627_b.jpg

Loving the cover art for these!

Westonian

Oct 27, 2017
I will buy three of those! (Unless the trilogy is cheaper than buying two individually.) The more I've watched Rises, the less I like it.

I'm way more excited for the 4K release of Interstellar!

lupin23rd

Oct 27, 2017
Looking forward to that Westworld release but ive never been a fan of steelbook cases, I suppose we should see a non-limited regular case edition sometime soon?

Oct 25, 2017
I went to Best Buy yesterday, and me being the high-brow film connoisseur that I am, I grabbed the Blu-Rays for Beauty and the Beast and the Back to the Future trilogy as late birthday presents.

OP
OP
KDash

KDash

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Nice. I still need to pick up the Back to the Future trilogy on Blu-ray. I just have the old DVD trilogy. Which Beauty and the Beast, by the way? Animated or live-action?

I wonder if the Blu-rays on those Dark Knight trilogy 4K releases will be new or not...if yes, maybe I'll pick them up at some point. I already have the old releases, and don't have 4K equipment yet.

Oh, I picked up Scott Pilgrim vs. The World at Target today.

JdKlxUT.jpg

Westonian

Oct 27, 2017
Watching The Dark Tower 4K right now. This might be my new UHD reference disc. It's amazing! A real HDR showcase and the detail levels are stunning!

deafmedal

Oct 25, 2017
So in the old thread I believe there was talk of Movies Anywhere, at any rate there was talk on the old site about it. Basically what I am wondering is with regards to folks invested in the Apple ecosystem... I have several 4K discs but had put off redeeming any codes until the 4K Apple TV was released. Now, I'm finally ready to redeem those codes but here is my issue- Sony and WB movies do not redeem to iTunes. Using Movies Anywhere can I get these in my iTunes library (I reckon yes) and will I have access to the 4K versions? Or should I not bother? I am not too concerned about the access to the 4K files (I would like to do comparisons from time to time) but I would like to make the Sony and WB movies available in iTunes for my wife on her iPad. I reckon we could use a separate app or something but we'd prefer everything in one place...

Atraveller

Oct 25, 2017
So in the old thread I believe there was talk of Movies Anywhere, at any rate there was talk on the old site about it. Basically what I am wondering is with regards to folks invested in the Apple ecosystem... I have several 4K discs but had put off redeeming any codes until the 4K Apple TV was released. Now, I'm finally ready to redeem those codes but here is my issue- Sony and WB movies do not redeem to iTunes. Using Movies Anywhere can I get these in my iTunes library (I reckon yes) and will I have access to the 4K versions? Or should I not bother? I am not too concerned about the access to the 4K files (I would like to do comparisons from time to time) but I would like to make the Sony and WB movies available in iTunes for my wife on her iPad. I reckon we could use a separate app or something but we'd prefer everything in one place...
Movies bought on iTunes and digital codes will get you 4K HDR on iTunes. 4K copies transferred from other services will get you HDR and a slight resolution boost but not true 4K. I wonder if Apple has made them regular HD yet. Also, 4K HDR on iTunes is streaming only.

Deleted member 9330

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Movies bought on iTunes and digital codes will get you 4K HDR on iTunes. 4K copies transferred from other services will get you HDR and a slight resolution boost but not true 4K. I wonder if Apple has made them regular HD yet. Also, 4K HDR on iTunes is streaming only.

Yeah they're down to regular HD.

I was under the impression that if you got it in 4K on another service (AKA VUDU) it'll play in 4K in iTunes as well. Just not vice versa, since no one else is doing free upgrades

Velasco

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
These titles have been listed for pre-order on a European store (cdon) source: blu-ray.com

The Big Lebowski (1998) 4K UHD

Straight Outta Compton (2015) 4K UHD

A Touch of Zen (1971) 4K UHD

Dragon Inn (1967) 4K UHD

The Dark Crystal (1982) 4K UHD

Robin Hood (2010) 4K UHD

Mamma Mia! The Movie (2008) 4K UHD

Pitch Perfect 2 (2015) 4K UHD

Westonian

Oct 27, 2017
Target Black Friday scan leaked today. It's pretty ugly for movies. Disney DVDs are being advertised for $15, like that's some amazing price. Not a single 4K disc in sight.

Blu-ray "highlights":

$4
Peanuts Movie
Every Thing
Creed
Me Before You
Storks
Pitch Perfect 2

$6
Fantastic Beasts
Minions
Lego Movie
Despicable Me 2
Kubo
Secret Life of Pets
Passengers
Smurfs Lost Village
Suicide Squad
X-Men Apocalypse
Lego Batman
Trolls
Girl on the Train
Sing
How to be Single
Baywatch
Edge of Seventeen
CHIPs

$9
Kong Skull Island
Wonder Woman
Spiderman Homecoming
La La Land
House
Logan
War for the Planet of the Apes

Edit: I missed two titles on the first page:

$10
Stranger Things (VHS packaging)
Cars 3

Last edited:

Okii

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
^miss me with all that, I'm hoping Best Buy has some deals on some Steelbooks, but so far all the movie deals I've seen have been bad. Basically a bunch of already over priced stuff coming down to what I would consider a normal price.

Westonian

Oct 27, 2017
Picked this up during my break:
X6CpDJ3.jpg

Pro tip: If you want the 4K digital version; on the redeemcars.com site, choose to redeem directly to Vudu. If you redeem it on MoviesAnywhere, you'll only get the HDX version.

MrPink

Oct 27, 2017
Greetings 4K community. I have a Dolby Vision compatible TV, but no 4K player as of yet and I'm kinda itching to get one but the Oppo that can play DV titles is out of my price range. Should I go for the x800 UHD player that's on sale now (is there any hope it will get a firmware update?), or go for the LG UHD player that's supposed to get one, or wait till next year? I'd like to future proof myself but not sure if it's really worth the wait/effort

Markitron

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
Greetings 4K community. I have a Dolby Vision compatible TV, but no 4K player as of yet and I'm kinda itching to get one but the Oppo that can play DV titles is out of my price range. Should I go for the x800 UHD player that's on sale now (is there any hope it will get a firmware update?), or go for the LG UHD player that's supposed to get one, or wait till next year? I'd like to future proof myself but not sure if it's really worth the wait/effort
Maybe just go for last years Samsung player, it should be pretty cheap now, and you could sell it on when you are getting a Dolby Vision player. I have the Samsung and that's my plan.

Failing that you could pick up a cheap Xbox One S in the sales and sell that on next year.

MrPink

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe just go for last years Samsung player, it should be pretty cheap now, and you could sell it on when you are getting a Dolby Vision player. I have the Samsung and that's my plan.

Failing that you could pick up a cheap Xbox One S in the sales and sell that on next year.

It looks like right now, the x800 is the cheapest player (or tied for it). There's a Samsung player on Black Friday though that will be around $128. I'm focusing more on dedicated players this time around, otherwise I'd consider the Xbox One.

SoleSurvivor

Oct 27, 2017
The x800 will be $150 too.

Actually, the x800 IS $150 today! Early Black Friday pricing in effect. I think now is the time to jump on it. Been watching it for months and waiting for this moment. Are there any advertised better deals?

And is there any indication that this new format is under-performing and in danger of going the HD-DVD route? I just feel like in the streaming era where physical formats are dying AND not many people owning 4K TVs yet makes the longevity of this new format questionable.

NealMcCauley

Oct 27, 2017
I'm kinda thinking about returning my Denon receiver and getting another model. After fiddling with the receiver enough the sound is good but not great. My old Sony sounds more natural even with a failing left front out. The Sony 770 is $200 so I may just get that. It's the same one I got may parents two Black Fridays ago so I know it sounds good. Only problem is it can't play real atmos or dts:x. I have until Sunday before the return policy ends so there's still time to decide.

Actually, the x800 IS $150 today! Early Black Friday pricing in effect. I think now is the time to jump on it. Been watching it for months and waiting for this moment. Are there any advertised better deals?

It's awesome they're starting deals this early. Amazon has it at the same price so I imagine that's as low as it will go.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
You could grab the LG UP970 for $199 and get Dolby Vision. No stop gap needed.

I'd rather wait for that to reach $150, actually. So the DV patch *was* released for that model? Finding info for these players online outside of AVSforum is a fool's errand.

Westonian

Oct 27, 2017
Here's my thought process: Dolby Vision is a modest and at times negligible upgrade over standard HDR10. Most discs don't currently support it.

So is it worth waiting another year or so before DV players hit the budget prices you're looking for? If you care enough to buy 4K physical discs, I would say just buy the budget player today and upgrade to a DV capable player in the future and move the budget player into the bedroom when that happens.

OP
OP
KDash

KDash

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Looked through the Best Buy Black Friday deals. Might pick up Fate of the Furious...maybe Valerian. Not sure what else. Most of the stuff I'd want I already have.

The Sony 770 is $200 so I may just get that. It's the same one I got may parents two Black Fridays ago so I know it sounds good.
I have the 550, and the sound quality is phenomenal to me. I got it back in March for $115 open box at Best Buy. I'm using some 17 or so year old Sony speakers with it, and difference using them with STR-DH550 was immediately noticeable and pretty huge. I just really love the thing.

Last edited:

NealMcCauley

Oct 27, 2017
Looked through the Best Buy Black Friday deals. Might pick up Fate of the Furious...maybe Valerian. Not sure what else. Most of the stuff I'd want I already have.

I have the 550, and the sound quality is phenomenal to me. I got it back in March for $115 open box at Best Buy. I'm using some 17 or so year old Sony speakers with it, and difference using them with STR-DH550 was immediately noticeable and pretty huge. I just really love the thing.

I gave the Denon one final test via fury road and it just sounds off. Low end is great but mids and highs are muddled. Heading to BB now. Back to Sony it is.

MrPink

Oct 27, 2017
I'd rather wait for that to reach $150, actually. So the DV patch *was* released for that model? Finding info for these players online outside of AVSforum is a fool's errand.

My understanding was it was released, and then pulled. It will be brought back before end of year. My hesitance with getting the player is that the build quality apparently isn't great.

Here's my thought process: Dolby Vision is a modest and at times negligible upgrade over standard HDR10. Most discs don't currently support it.

So is it worth waiting another year or so before DV players hit the budget prices you're looking for? If you care enough to buy 4K physical discs, I would say just buy the budget player today and upgrade to a DV capable player in the future and move the budget player into the bedroom when that happens.

I'm leaning towards the x800 player for now from Sony for $150 and then upgrade a couple years from now if Dolby Vision takes off.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
...do we know if the BR 2049 blu ray will be Dolby Vision-graded? Because if not...

Okii

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is the Sony x800 the go to UHD player, I'm debating between that, an Xbox One S or even an Xbox One X, is there any real difference in 4K/HDR quality between the x800 drive and Xbox drive.

Westonian

Oct 27, 2017
Is the Sony x800 the go to UHD player, I'm debating between that, an Xbox One S or even an Xbox One X, is there any real difference in 4K/HDR quality between the x800 drive and Xbox drive.
If UHD Blu-ray is your primary concern I would definitely get a stand alone player over the Xbox. I've heard far too many complaints and issues about stuttering playback and other issues to ever recommend it. I think the Sony is a great mid-range player and at $150 on sale it seems like a good time to pick one up.

Deleted member 8136

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If UHD Blu-ray is your primary concern I would definitely get a stand alone player over the Xbox. I've heard far too many complaints and issues about stuttering playback and other issues to ever recommend it. I think the Sony is a great mid-range player and at $150 on sale it seems like a good time to pick one up.

I think these complaints are overblown. By now I'm over 50 UHDs and use exclusively an Xbox as a player, first an S and now an X. No problems whatsoever. I think it is a good choice, because MS constantly improves the player app, while getting a fw update on a standalone player is like a lottery.
And if you really buy a standalone player, I would not go for Sony - why gratificate them for their shitty decision to not include one in the PS4 Pro?

Westonian

Oct 27, 2017
I would say the odds of running into playback issues on a reliable stand-alone player like the Sony, Samsung, Panasonic or Oppo are substantially lower than the Xbox.

Granted, it's anecdotal, but based on complaints we saw in the thread back on the old site and larger AV forums like AVS, I would say this:

If you want an Xbox because you want the games first and the UHD playback second, do it.
If your primary goal is reliable UHD playback, and games are a 'nice bonus' stick with a stand-alone player. (Stand-alone player is going have zero fan noise, better 4K upscaler, more supported audio formats, and in some cases better picture quality).

And I appreciate the idea of not rewarding companies for bad behavior, but my primary concern is a great home theater experience, so unless Sony murdered my grandparents, quality alone is going to inform my opinion on what I'm buying.

Westonian

Oct 27, 2017
Wal-mart Black Friday has been posted. Looks very similar to Best Buy for Blu-rays (and it's even more DVD heavy).

One 4K title shown: Cars 3 for $20 (I just bought this on Tuesday for $27!)

Deleted member 8136

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I would say the odds of running into playback issues on a reliable stand-alone player like the Sony, Samsung, Panasonic or Oppo are substantially lower than the Xbox.

Granted, it's anecdotal, but based on complaints we saw in the thread back on the old site and larger AV forums like AVS, I would say this:

If you want an Xbox because you want the games first and the UHD playback second, do it.
If your primary goal is reliable UHD playback, and games are a 'nice bonus' stick with a stand-alone player. (Stand-alone player is going have zero fan noise, better 4K upscaler, more supported audio formats, and in some cases better picture quality).

And I appreciate the idea of not rewarding companies for bad behavior, but my primary concern is a great home theater experience, so unless Sony murdered my grandparents, quality alone is going to inform my opinion on what I'm buying.

I absolutely agree, for the absolute best and no compromise solution, go for a standalone player. Yet I would still argue, that the difference in drive noise is bigger than the difference in picture quality.
But if you really want the no compromise, go for the Oppo. In my humble opinion it is clearly the best of the standalones.

Deleted member 11426

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Greensboro NC
I just never expected Criterion to release more Godzilla films.

The US only has 8 films not on bluray, with the two pictured above being long out of print and expensive on DVD. I kind of doubt they'll release all of them, but I'll take any.

SoleSurvivor

Oct 27, 2017
Just ordered my X800! So excited. Been deal hunting for months, and now I'm glad I waited! Also picked up a few movies in the 2 for $30 deal Best Buy is running.

I have a Sony X930C, so no Dolby Vision, and don't have Oppo money so I think I made the right decision. :)

OP
OP
KDash

KDash

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Nice! Enjoy!

Just picked up The James Bond Collection from Walmart with some gift cards my dad gave me.
E0BQ1vt.jpg