• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Klotera

Oct 27, 2017
I do get that some detail could be lost with DV, but overall I still enjoy it more. I'm still confused as to how DV could be brighter than HDR though. Especially if my backlight setting is so much more on HDR. I guess if they for some reason coded HDR to be very low and DV to be very high.

The actual per scene brightness will be adjusted based on the metadata. Those backlight/oled light levels allow you to adjust the "basline" (for lack of a better term). The actual brightness is defined by the content.

In the case of some TVs l, like the LG oleds and Sony's X1 extreme TVs, HDR10 will also use active HDR on HDR10 content to create dynamic metadata on the fly, reducing the gap between HDR10 and DV content. This could potentially bridge it enough to make HDR10 disc more appealing than streaming DV.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
The actual per scene brightness will be adjusted based on the metadata. Those backlight/oled light levels allow you to adjust the "basline" (for lack of a better term). The actual brightness is defined by the content.

In the case of some TVs l, like the LG oleds and Sony's X1 extreme TVs, HDR10 will also use active HDR on HDR10 content to create dynamic metadata on the fly, reducing the gap between HDR10 and DV content. This could potentially bridge it enough to make HDR10 disc more appealing than streaming DV.
Huh, I think I was told to turn active HDR off on my LG OLED. I should have that on so that it works with HDR? I need to double check

Klotera

Oct 27, 2017
Huh, I think I was told to turn active HDR off on my LG OLED. I should have that on so that it works with HDR? I need to double check

Yeah, most people think it's best to have it on (setting dynamic contrast to low in HDR mode does this). Without it, you may get clipped highlights and such.

OP
OP
KDash

KDash

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Finally got my copy of Wreck-It Ralph in the mail. Even though the seller said they were in Florida, it looks like it shipped from the UK...heh.
I7nsSdg.jpg

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Just saw the disc art for Infinity War. That's terrible. This is like their biggest film in ages and they barely put any effort into the home video release.

CandySTX

Mar 17, 2018
Scotland
Anyone here have experience with Atmos soundbars?
I really don't have the space for a proper fancy surround sound set up, so I've been looking into them to try and upgrade my current ok-ish 2.1 soundbar.

Do you need a receiver/decoder to use them? I've been reading guides, but nobody mentions if they need all the gear as well.
I've also seen that some have HDMI support, but can only do 4K SDR? I assume I wouldn't be able to do my current set up of HDMI to TV, then TV to soundbar via optical cable?

Perhaps I should just go for a good regular surround soundbar instead of the "compromised" version of the tech? Would certainly be cheaper, at least.

Westonian

Oct 27, 2017
Do you need a receiver/decoder to use them? I've been reading guides, but nobody mentions if they need all the gear as well.
I've also seen that some have HDMI support, but can only do 4K SDR? I assume I wouldn't be able to do my current set up of HDMI to TV, then TV to soundbar via optical cable?
You won't need a receiver, but you can't currently get Atmos from any TV. You'll need eARC, which I don't think any TV has yet.
However if you have a 4K Blu-ray player, or an AppleTV, Roku, etc. you can pass Atmos to the sound bar.
The lack of HDR pass-thru might be an issue. Some 4K Blu-ray players have separate audio out HDMI ports, so you pass the audio to the sound bar over that, and the video (with HDR intact) directly to the TV with the other Port.

17 Seconds

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
infinity war is the first target exclusive i've gotten, and it is so much nicer than the best buy steelbooks i've gotten.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
haha that is pretty bad

they have SO much stunning art they can use, too. just look at those "the art of _____" books they sell for literally every movie.

and yet the steelbook looks like garbage, the discs look like garbage, and the regular edition is a photoshopped mess of characters.

oh well i guess they know what catches joe walmart's eye

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
4K Steelbooks for the first two Avengers films are currently up for order at Best Buy. They've been going in and out of stock randomly throughout the day, so if you want them, now may be the time.

Avengers

AOU

vanmardigan

Oct 27, 2017
So with Microsoft joining movies anywhere does that change the equation in terms of where to redeem the 4k discs to get the 4k digital?

For whatever reason that Google spreadsheet never opens for me

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure where Target is keeping their exclusive version, but it's not on the store floor since I went earlier and couldn't find it but the in store pick up option online worked afterward.

Now I just need to decide which to keep and which to return...

NMmqm6R.jpg

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
You won't need a receiver, but you can't currently get Atmos from any TV. You'll need eARC, which I don't think any TV has yet.
However if you have a 4K Blu-ray player, or an AppleTV, Roku, etc. you can pass Atmos to the sound bar.
The lack of HDR pass-thru might be an issue. Some 4K Blu-ray players have separate audio out HDMI ports, so you pass the audio to the sound bar over that, and the video (with HDR intact) directly to the TV with the other Port.
I thought my LG OLED can output Atmos...

OP
OP
KDash

KDash

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Took some pictures of my current Blu-ray collection...plus some DVDs that are in the same drawers.
Next things to get will be Deadpool 2 Super Duper Cut next week, the Back to the Future and Indiana Jones movies, and more Disney and Pixar movies. Might pick up some random 4K discs like Starship Troopers and Serenity at some point. Not sure what else to get until more of this years movies start coming out like Mission: Impossible - Fallout and Incredibles 2.

A new anniversary edition of Nightmare Before Christmas is coming out on the first Tuesday of next month, so I'll probably get that. There's a Target edition that's only $12.99.

Velasco

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Matrix Trilogy 4K along with the 4K Blu-ray releases of The Matrix Reloaded and The Matrix Revolutions 30/10 (U.S.A). From the press release
New scan of the original camera negative supervised by director of photography Bill Pope (The Matrix Trilogy, Spider-Man 2, Spider-Man 3, Baby Driver).

The 4K Blu-ray discs of The Matrix Trilogy, The Matrix Reloaded and The Matrix Revolutions will feature Dolby Vision.They will also feature a Dolby Atmos.

Hook 4K Blu-ray 9/10 (U.S.A)
From the press release
HOOK is fully restored in 4K from the original camera negative, with approval on the 4K High Dynamic Range master from director Steven Spielberg. In addition, the film features Dolby Atmos.
ALL-NEW: 11 Never-Before-Seen Deleted Scenes

Sicario: Day of the Soldado 4K Blu-ray 2/10 (U.S.A) (Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos)

Added The Matrix Reloaded, The Matrix Revolutions, and Sicario: Day of the Soldado to the 4K Blu-rays with DV list (post #41).

Last edited:

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017
oh, okay. so why dont they offer it? is there any explanation?

Your average consumer doesn't care (or know) about lossless audio and is likely using TV speakers where it wouldn't be a factor anyway. All they care about is what is marketed to them (i.e. 1080p and 4K). It's only recently with Apple TV 4K getting Dolby Atmos soon that streaming audio is really improving. Even then, the Apple TV 4K-provided Dolby Atmos isn't the same you'll get on a Blu-ray/UHD Blu-ray, it's still the Dolby Digital Plus codec (384-768 Kb/s).

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
thanks for the replies, i really appreciate it.

I guess if anything starts to move any streaming audio towards lossless it would be closer to when we have hdmi 2.1 as a norm in sets?

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
thanks for the replies, i really appreciate it.

I guess if anything starts to move any streaming audio towards lossless it would be closer to when we have hdmi 2.1 as a norm in sets?
The HDMI eARC feature of HDMI 2.1 would help but it still comes down to not wanting to allocate the bandwidth when most won't notice or care. You also need an eARC compatible audio reciever too.

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
The HDMI eARC feature of HDMI 2.1 would help but it still comes down to not wanting to allocate the bandwidth when most won't notice or care. You also need an eARC compatible audio reciever too.
oh damn, i forgot about the receivers LOL

well atleast i now know that it will be something in the future with eARC.

i really need to sit down and watch some scenes with some movies i have in 4k disc and 4k vudu to hear the difference. edit .. wow i just realized the only disc that transferred to uhd on vudu for me is thor:ragnarok .... everything else i have redeemed in hdx .. -_- ...

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
I'm not sure where Target is keeping their exclusive version, but it's not on the store floor since I went earlier and couldn't find it but the in store pick up option online worked afterward.

Now I just need to decide which to keep and which to return...

NMmqm6R.jpg
Usually they're in a cardboard stand near checklanes. They might also put them in the "new movies" end cap on one of the check lanes as well. They don't carry the exclusives too long, so they usually don't make their way to electronics.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
Usually they're in a cardboard stand near checklanes. They might also put them in the "new movies" end cap on one of the check lanes as well. They don't carry the exclusives too long, so they usually don't make their way to electronics.

Ya, I checked in the four usual spots at Target. The stand dedicated to Infinity War, the stand at the checkout, the main UHD movie section, and the new release section. It wasn't at any of those four locations. I even checked again when I went to pick it up. I just checked now and in store pick up is still available.

OP
OP
KDash

KDash

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Testing out the LG UP875 4K player on my 1080p HDTV with Avengers: Infinity War 4K, and comparing it directly to the 1080p Blu-ray running on my standard Blu-ray player.

Let me say...this 4K player, despite only being $80 when I got it, does a fantastic job of converting HDR to SDR. Everything looks great. Surprisingly close to how it looked on my younger brother's 4K TV when we watched the movie on Tuesday.

I noticed in this one shot that you can see the clouds over New York in this shot clearly on the 4K disc, and they almost disappear on the standard Blu-ray.

4K:
GTavgch.jpg

Blu-ray:
c8U7aOB.jpg

Overall, I'd say the 4K dsic looks more "natural" while the Blu-ray looks more "vivid" when viewed on my 1080p. Either way, both look great.

Last edited:

Westonian

Oct 27, 2017
FYI - Best Buy is selling the Jack Ryan 5-film UHD collection for $49.99. You have to search for it, but I was able to add it to my cart and check out. At $10 a disc, I'm in.

Zeusy

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
WA
Hello, I just had a quick question. I have both RP1 and IW in 4k and I want to redeem them for digital copies, will those be in 4k or just HD from MA?

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
I can't get the ATV (on latest beta) to output Atmos. I know the ATV decodes it internally, but it's only sending out 5 discrete channels.
I must be missing something.