• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Hello, I just had a quick question. I have both RP1 and IW in 4k and I want to redeem them for digital copies, will those be in 4k or just HD from MA?

Always redeem MA codes directly in MA to ensure you get the correct entitlement.

The MA website and app only support HD playback but MA supports 4k/UHD entitlements and will pass that to any linked storefront which hosts a 4k/UHD copy of your film.

NR1

Oct 25, 2017
Dallas, TX
ez3gVEI.jpg

3wgfRJo.jpg

SCORE!!!

My patience has finally paid off! I snagged a used copy of ZAAT at Movie Trading Company in Fort Worth for $10!!! These go for $100+!

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
I was very disappointed by the 4K disc of Mad Max :( Garish color grading, very noisy skies, and detail was all over the map. Pretty bummed, tbh.

Infinity War (the UHD Blu Ray) on the other hand, is the best thing I've watched in 4K: the colors of everyone's costumes pop like crazy, all the golden armor has an incredible sheen to it, and Thanos himself is extremely detailed. Big fan of the bright glowing lights on Iron Man and Spider-Man's armor, as well as Star Lord's red goggles; very striking highlights. Can anyone compare the disc copy with the Dolby Vision version?

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, that people keep calling out Fury Road as a must have 4K disc is crazy to me. The colors are overblown to hideous levels at point (especially some shots of explosions/fire), the whole thing just feels super oversaturated.

Smokey

Oct 25, 2017
I was very disappointed by the 4K disc of Mad Max :( Garish color grading, very noisy skies, and detail was all over the map. Pretty bummed, tbh.

Infinity War (the UHD Blu Ray) on the other hand, is the best thing I've watched in 4K: the colors of everyone's costumes pop like crazy, all the golden armor has an incredible sheen to it, and Thanos himself is extremely detailed. Big fan of the bright glowing lights on Iron Man and Spider-Man's armor, as well as Star Lord's red goggles; very striking highlights. Can anyone compare the disc copy with the Dolby Vision version?

Watched the disc version last night as well. I had seen the move in Dolby Cinema which has Dolby Vision, but on my OLED, it really stood out. Amazing looking movie.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, that people keep calling out Fury Road as a must have 4K disc is crazy to me. The colors are overblown to hideous levels at point (especially some shots of explosions/fire), the whole thing just feels super oversaturated.
I watched this recently for the first time, absolutely amazing film, but even on regular blu-ray I felt the colours were pushed to ridiculous levels.

Westonian

Oct 27, 2017
This past week's Blu-ray pickups:

Pawn store finds:
Robin Hood Prince of Thieves
Enemy at the Gates
RoboCop (still had digital copy!)
Seven Psycopaths (w/ digital copy)
Fargo

Imports:
Intolerable Cruelty (UK)
Willow (UK) (Finally broke down and ordered in import copy. With shipping it was $35, which sure as heck beats current prices for the US disc).

Coming in the mail this week:
Deadpool 2 4K
Jack Ryan collection 4K

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone here just collect a specific genre when it comes to 4K movies? I'm finding myself only picking up action movies and a few favorites here and there. Been satisfied with regular Blu-ray for everything else.

swimming

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
cool thanks. one more thing

i don't understand the diff between dolby vision and hdr10. i don't remember getting the option to choose between the two? i have a X1X and a KS8000 but i don't get tha diff between the two

Westonian

Oct 27, 2017
cool thanks. one more thing

i don't understand the diff between dolby vision and hdr10. i don't remember getting the option to choose between the two? i have a X1X and a KS8000 but i don't get tha diff between the two
X1X doesn't currently support DV. The difference is that DV can theoretically adjust peak brightness and contrast on a scene by scene basis based on the capability of your TV.

In practice the differences are pretty subtle and I doubt most people could tell the difference in a blind test. So I wouldn't let lack of DV rustle your jimmies.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
So Deadpool isn't Disney is it? Just want to make sure so I don't pay full price for another dodgy audio track.

Deleted member 22585

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
Anyone here just collect a specific genre when it comes to 4K movies? I'm finding myself only picking up action movies and a few favorites here and there. Been satisfied with regular Blu-ray for everything else.

I don't, I buy everything in 4k. I mean I watched some BDs and they looked fine, but all future purchases will be 4k because I don't want to buy normal BDs anymore.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To me Ready Player One is the best audio visual experience on 4k. the sound is absolutely stunning and the VR scenes are gorgeous. spielberg is truly the best director of our gen, if not all time, and he shows what he can do when not limited by real world lighting. the colors are so brilliant during the opening montage and the final battle scene on planet doom. the sound design during the chase scene and that movie theater sequence which i wont spoil are some of the best ever. Dunkirk has great sound mixing but this was something else.

IW has awful sound effects. its almost muted. i dont remember the movie sounding this muted in the theaters. the movie looks gorgeous though. the opening scene in thor's ship is incredible and the titan sequence looks gorgeous.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To me Ready Player One is the best audio visual experience on 4k. the sound is absolutely stunning and the VR scenes are gorgeous. spielberg is truly the best director of our gen, if not all time, and he shows what he can do when not limited by real world lighting. the colors are so brilliant during the opening montage and the final battle scene on planet doom. the sound design during the chase scene and that movie theater sequence which i wont spoil are some of the best ever. Dunkirk has great sound mixing but this was something else.

IW has awful sound effects. its almost muted. i dont remember the movie sounding this muted in the theaters. the movie looks gorgeous though. the opening scene in thor's ship is incredible and the titan sequence looks gorgeous.

Ready Player One is certainly a sight to behold. Also proves that a 2K DI can do wonders.

I'd still put Blade Runner 2049, Saving Private Ryan, The Matrix, Blade Runner, The Revenant, and a few others ahead of it though.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Are there receivers with eARC support or stated to be upgradeable? I may accept no othe hdmi 2.1 features if I can get hdr+eARC. That's enough for me as right now i'm stuck with 5.1 via normal ARC because my receiver doesn't support HDR

Westonian

Oct 27, 2017
Are there receivers with eARC support or stated to be upgradeable? I may accept no othe hdmi 2.1 features if I can get hdr+eARC. That's enough for me as right now i'm stuck with 5.1 via normal ARC because my receiver doesn't support HDR
You're looking to upgrade to a receiver that supports eARC because your current receiver doesn't support HDR?

Just upgrade to an HDR capable receiver, because a) nearly all of them do that these days and b) your TV most definitely doesn't support eARC, so you're still on the upgrade path.

On a slightly related note my 2015 Denon X3200W finally got the Dolby Vision upgrade yesterday. No more audio splitting from my Oppo!

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I've waited this long thinking HDMI2.1 wasn't far off. But it now seems to be. I don't want to upgrade twice in a couple of years so I want to wait for at least eARC for future TV compatibility

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
What is with UHD discs selling out? Predator was hard to find a week or so ago when I was looking. And now Infinity War is sold out on Amazon, and only available for pickup at best buy.

Westonian

Oct 27, 2017
What is with UHD discs selling out? Predator was hard to find a week or so ago when I was looking. And now Infinity War is sold out on Amazon, and only available for pickup at best buy.
Amazon never has large quantities of new Disney releases. They're been in a fight for a couple of years now.

I also think many studios under-ship their 4K discs.

I've waited this long thinking HDMI2.1 wasn't far off. But it now seems to be. I don't want to upgrade twice in a couple of years so I want to wait for at least eARC for future TV compatibility

I guess I still want to know why you need eARC? Do you only stream directly from your TV? Because if you're using any other device than directly from the TV, you don't need eARC. And eARC still requires streaming platforms to actually adopt and support HD audio, and then your TV apps might not actually support it.

Oct 27, 2017
I have Mad Max: Fury Road on Blu Ray, but Vudu has the UHD stream for 14.99

Is this a good upgrade for someone with the BR physical/ digital

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone know what's up with the Hereditary 4K release? It's not available on any Canadian retailer, and iTunes looks like it will just have the HD release for digital. I know a UHD was announced, not sure why it would be so hard to find.

Aygomyownroad

Oct 27, 2017
Matrix Trilogy is getting a 4K release.. May make the jump as I never upgraded to Bluray.

I expect it to be stunning but not looking forward to that Burly Brawl scene. That was awful on VHS!!!

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
I got the Deadpool steel. I'm not sure why I still buy steelbooks to be honest. I swear at least 50% of the time they are already scratched when you take the shrink wrap off.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I guess I still want to know why you need eARC? Do you only stream directly from your TV? Because if you're using any other device than directly from the TV, you don't need eARC. And eARC still requires streaming platforms to actually adopt and support HD audio, and then your TV apps might not actually support it.

well currently I have most devices attached to my TV because my receiver doesn't support HDR. I guess if I buy a HDR receiver then all devices would go through that and therefore my need for eARC would be much less :D

I'd still have built-in apps (although perhaps less likely they'll ever do atmos/lossless), and in the future I might need more inputs so the TV would help there.

rashbeep

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone know what's up with the Hereditary 4K release? It's not available on any Canadian retailer, and iTunes looks like it will just have the HD release for digital. I know a UHD was announced, not sure why it would be so hard to find.

it's out sept 4 so i guess we'll just have to wait and see

huge shame it's only a 5.1 track though

NealMcCauley

Oct 27, 2017
Jack Ryan 5-film collection is out on 4k. Word is copies are even more limited than typical 4k catalog releases. No solo releases at the moment either. Shame because I would have bought Red October in a heartbeat.

Flip flopping between picking up Deadpool 2 today or waiting.

Westonian

Oct 27, 2017
Jack Ryan 5-film collection is out on 4k. Word is copies are even more limited than typical 4k catalog releases.
I heard there was a last minute issue with the cover art and that is the reason for the limited supply. They essentially stopped shipments and are redoing the cover, so there might be a few in the wild, but those will likely be collectors items.

My guess is they wanted to remove Morgan Freeman from the cover.

Velasco

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I heard there was a last minute issue with the cover art and that is the reason for the limited supply. They essentially stopped shipments and are redoing the cover, so there might be a few in the wild, but those will likely be collectors items.

My guess is they wanted to remove Morgan Freeman from the cover.
They haven't removed him from the cover of the digital version.

Velasco

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Fog 4K Blu-ray cover

DWC625F.jpg

They Live 4K Blu-ray cover

O8I3jXW.jpg

Maybe there's an issue with the Canadian distributor of the movie.The 4K HDR (Dolby Vision) version is now available on iTunes (U.S.), and the 4K Blu-ray is still scheduled for release in September (U.S. 4/9).

Last edited: