• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Does that come with a 4k movies anywhere redemption?

That looks like a US release, so yes it does.

The 4K redemption will only sync to Vudu and Amazon US at this time, as I believe those are the only two digital retailers with it in 4K. Everyone else (including Google) will only sync HD from MA.

Paganmoon

Oct 26, 2017
I've read a lot of people saying Disney UHD's have got really poor soundmix. Just watched TLJ (geez this movie looks gorgeous), and I really liked the sound mix. I live in an apartment so even though I do like some bass, I don't want my neighbors to hate me, so I've even gone as far as even removing my sub, so the soundmix was perfectly "muffled" when it came to the low frequencies, still had some bass, but not overpowering.

Pitchfork

Oct 28, 2017
England
I haven't gotten around to watching them yet but I recently picked up The Fog UHD Collectors edition and Evil Dead 2 UHD Steelbook (Zavvi exclusive - UK). Two of my favourite horror movies of all time so couldn't resist, and this starts my first transition into 4K remasters, having up until now only picked up modern releases

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't gotten around to watching them yet but I recently picked up The Fog UHD Collectors edition and Evil Dead 2 UHD Steelbook (Zavvi exclusive - UK). Two of my favourite horror movies of all time so couldn't resist, and this starts my first transition into 4K remasters, having up until now only picked up modern releases

Interestingly enough, the included Blu-rays are lower bitrate encodes than the previous US steelbook releases. It isn't by a lot, and I haven't compared them since I was after the UHD, but I thought it was interesting.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017

I'll update this post with some screen caps later. I'm not sure what is the preferred app to look at this but got a recommendation to use MediaInfo so have that handy.

Here's They Live. Of course bitrate isn't everything. The new BD (Studiocanal) that ships with Prince of Darkness UHD is lower bitrate, but a better transfer than the old SF version. The new transfer is softer but lacks all the artificial sharpening that plagued the SF release. This could be the same.

US Best Buy Steelbook (2018) (Left) From Zavvi UHD Steelbook (2018) (Right)

buzwHa6l.jpg

I'm ripping the UHD disk just for fun.

UHD, last of the image spam.

gqJ0uoUl.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
lmfao, I orderered a standard Blu-Ray copy of The Incredibles from Disney Movie Club, but they sent me a 4K copy. Not that I'm complaining.

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
I guess just most essential? Mix of best picture quality and quality of the film?
It's all awfully subjective, of course, but here's a post I made a while back in this thread about some discs that I hold to high regard:

I can't vouch for Blue Planet II, and Planet Earth II is outstanding, but during episodes the film resolution sometimes changes. Of course, due to the source material, but it's not 100% eye love the whole time.

In my opinion, of the discs I've seen, these would be my picks to really showcase 4K UHD and Atmos/DTS:X. I give bonus points to titles in Dolby Vision.
  • Atomic Blonde
    I love this movie in its own right and enjoy every repeat viewing like it was the first. The movies uses color to great effect contrasted against a dreary 1989 Germany, all in Dolby Vision. Its DTS:X surround track is a great showcase that Atmos isn't the only game in town. The sound stage gives space and breadth to the amazing music soundtrack and the action is as ferocious as Lorraine. This movie does come from a 2K DI.
  • Blade Runner
    Seeing Blade Runner this way is damned near the second coming of Christ. The filmic clarity 4K offers so much detail and the futuristic world Deckard lives in is displayed with such an outstanding HDR10 mastering. Nothing is lost in the dark scenes and upper end of the contrast spectrum is marvelously displayed in the city lights, neons, and colorful displays. To say nothing of its Atmos track would be criminal. This is the Atmos track to showcase (though see my next entry). Overhead channels are used to fill space, but also excellently implemented to bring the viewer into the scene.
  • Blade Runner 2049
    Seeing Blade Runner 2049 this way is damned near the second coming of Christ. The filmic clarity 4K offers so much detail and the futuristic world K lives in is displayed with such an outstanding HDR10 mastering. Nothing is lost in the dark scenes and upper end of the contrast spectrum is marvelously displayed in the city lights, neons, and colorful displays. To say nothing of its Atmos track would be criminal. This is the Atmos track to showcase. Overhead channels are used to fill space, but also excellently implemented to bring the viewer into the scene. The soundtrack is integral to this movie (also see: Atomic Blonde) and I simply can't imagine hearing it any other way. Not to overuse the faith-based metaphors, but each of my repeat viewings (oh, and there will be more) are practically a religious experience for me.
  • The Fifth Element
    A true showcase of 4K bringing film to our screens without compromise. The HDR10 mastering really brings forth the brighter elements of the film (Leeloo's hair, the Opera scene, etc.). It's not an overly dark film, but details are never lost in the lower end of the spectrum, either. The Atmos track is superb. The action scenes are great showcases, as debris, bullets, and flying cars surround the viewer in all axes and sound graciously fills the room. And, of course, the Opera scene is just breathtaking rendered in Dolby Atmos.
  • IT
    Another 2K DI, but the Dolby Vision mastering of the film, whether it's the color seemingly drawn from Pennywise's home, the dark sewers, or the bright shades of Penneywise's makeup, they are all rendered clearly. Yet this movie does not exist on my list for picture quality, as there are much better uses of HDR elsewhere, but, rather, for the Dolby Atmos mix. Literally from the moment the movie opens the additional overhead channels are used excellently and there are many more scenes throughout the film that exhibits the same philosophy, using the entirety of the space to a nearly fun house effect.
  • The Matrix
    Anyone that saw The Matrix when it first came out will likely utter a similar sentiment, but I walked out of the theater changed. So, what other movie to showcase the great technological changes this new format brings? Coming from a true 4K scan of the film and mastered in HDR by the Director of Photography, Bill Pope, I don't know how I've watched this movie throughout the years in any other format. The Dolby Vision contrast is outstanding, with gracefully reproduced tones, but it is the darker elements of The Matrix that are the true showcase. The blacks are black and all the darker scenes have an outstanding depth to them, allowing nothing to be lost in the various contrasts of the scenes. The Dolby Atmos track is not of the funhouse variety that It is, but its each element in the scene that is heard distinctly, clearly, and with oomph. Bullets, cracking wood or concrete, a haunting quiet as the Nebuchadnezzar is powered down, or a minigun all have never been heard like this. The Lobby scene was always a great surround sound showcase and it carries that title with it into Dolby Atmos.
  • Pacific Rim
    I got too passionate about this post and it's time for bed, so I'm gonna cop out on these last two. A beautiful picture with excellent use of HDR10 and a Dolby Atmos soundtrack that outstanding, both in its channel usage, but also in its range. High squeals, thunderous roars, and everything in between highlights what Atmos can do.
  • Saving Private Ryan
    Dolby Vision, war scenes rendered in exquisite detail and channel usage in Atmos, and a gorgeous reproduction of film transferred to 4K.

Paganmoon

Oct 26, 2017
It's all awfully subjective, of course, but here's a post I made a while back in this thread about some discs that I hold to high regard:

And here's my disagreement on The Fifth Element from last page :P

Not sure I agree with this, then again, maybe there's another transfer out there now, but the German import (only 4K of the fifth element I know of), felt like it did lose some detail on the lower end of the blacks, and the PQ with details, not sure if I thought it got any extra oomph compared to the first blu-ray printing I've got. I'll see about comparing the two back to back.

Also had the same problem with losing some detail in the lower end of the blacks on Batman v Superman, but Justice League had much better PQ overall, both in detail and in colors.

I guess just most essential? Mix of best picture quality and quality of the film?

As mentioned above Justice League has very good PQ, and good colors, specially compared to Batman V Superman. The Last Jedi is also another one with great PQ and colors (helps that it's a really beautifully shot movie to boot).

But as DJ Lushious says, it's very subjective, and regarding colors also has a lot to do with your display device, and settings.

checking for other lists online, there seems to be as many variations of the top 10 as there are movies, with a few regular mentions, like The Matrix (have yet to pop in my UHD of this), The Last Jedi and Blade Runner.

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
Not sure I agree with this, then again, maybe there's another transfer out there now, but the German import (only 4K of the fifth element I know of), felt like it did lose some detail on the lower end of the blacks, and the PQ with details, not sure if I thought it got any extra oomph compared to the first blu-ray printing I've got. I'll see about comparing the two back to back.
I meant to respond to this, but got sidetracked, then forgot. I won't agree to the loss of details in the 4K of Fifth Element, nor on losing detail in the lower end of the blacks, but I will say the image is a bit darker with its HDR grading. I'll have to cite some further examples, but Fifth Element is not the only 4K UHD disc where the film source darkened up a little with the introduction of an HDR grading. Martin Liebman at Blu-Ray.com alludes to the same thing in his Fifth Element review, actually.

Footnote, I have the US release.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
So I bought the Rambo series on iTunes thinking they'd all be upgraded to 4K now, but it seems only the first one has been upgraded

This whole upgrade system is so annoying lol

Velasco

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
2001: A Space Odyssey will be broadcast in 8K on December 1st (in Japan-BS8K NHK 8K channel).According to this article, an 8K SDR master provided by Warner Bros. will be used for the broadcast.
My Fair Lady will also be broadcast in 8K (March 2019)

BS4K (NHK 4K Channel)

December 8, "Rashomon 4K digital restoration version" (Akira Kurosawa, 1950)
December 15, "Ran 4K digital restoration version" (Akira Kurosawa, 1985)
December 22, "Ugetsumonogatari 4K digital restoration version" (Kenji Mizoguchi, 1953)
December 29, "Sansho the Bailiff 4K digital restoration version" ( Kenji Mizoguchi, 1954)
January 5, "The Crucified Lovers 4K digital restoration version" (Kenji Mizoguchi, 1954)
January 12, "A Story of Floating Weeds 4K digital restoration version" (Yasujiro Ozu, 1959)

BS8K & BS4K schedule (in Japanese)

Sources:
RapidTVNews
amass.jp
oricon.co.jp

Hail Satan

Oct 27, 2017
2001: A Space Odyssey will be broadcast in 8K on December 1st (in Japan-BS8K NHK 8K channel).According to this article, an 8K SDR master provided by Warner Bros. will be used for the broadcast.

BS4K (NHK 4K Channel)

December 22, "Ugetsumonogatari 4K digital restoration version" (Kenji Mizoguchi, 1953)
December 29, "Sansho the Bailiff 4K digital restoration version" ( Kenji Mizoguchi, 1954)
January 5, "The Crucified Lovers 4K digital restoration version" (Kenji Mizoguchi, 1954)
January 12, "A Story of Floating Weeds 4K digital restoration version" (Yasujiro Ozu, 1959)

Sources:
RapidTVNews
amass.jp
oricon.co.jp

Holy shit! Thanks for posting this. I'm going to have to find a stream or VPN for this. So many awesome films in 4K.

deafmedal

Oct 25, 2017
Well that is some garbage lol

Maybe I'll try to get a refund or something
You did get the Matrix Trilogy upgrade though right? I checked this past weekend and all three movies are now 4K/HDR for me...
Oddly enough, most of the movies in bundles I've bought have been upgraded (like the 10 action movies for $10). A very large chunk of my iTunes library is 4K now.

Velasco

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Rocky (1976) is now available in 4K Dolby Vision (iTunes).Also available on Vudu.Rocky/Creed bundle available for $14.99 (U.S iTunes)

Last edited:

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
You did get the Matrix Trilogy upgrade though right? I checked this past weekend and all three movies are now 4K/HDR for me...
Oddly enough, most of the movies in bundles I've bought have been upgraded (like the 10 action movies for $10). A very large chunk of my iTunes library is 4K now.
Actually forgot to buy that Matrix bundle lol

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017

BS4K (NHK 4K Channel)

Sources:
RapidTVNews
amass.jp
oricon.co.jp
8K 2001!? Crazy. Wish I could see that.

Paganmoon

Oct 26, 2017
Anyone got any good sites with high quality International/English covers? I've got a few UHD's from amazon.it, .es, and .de and the covers are starting to bug me :)

Velasco

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Last edited:

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Guess it's waiting for the inevitable remasters some day. Might take a while, but we'll see it eventually...

I hope.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
And to think that many thought that Nagini getting a backstory was going to be a problem.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Got a couple of 4K iTunes movies for cheap the last few days.

Source Code, RDJ Sherlock movies, Untouchables, and Deadpool 2.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
At Walmart trying decide what 4k movies I want. Here's what I've found
Deadpool 2
Blade runner 2049
Jumanji
Ready player one
Jurrasic world.

Which of these are worth picking up

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
I'm really tempted to grab Ready Player One on UHD for $15, even though that movie is hot garbage, JUST because it's such a good HDR showpiece apparently...

Last edited: