• Introducing Image Options for ResetEra 2.0! Check the left side navigation bar to show or hide images, avatars, covers, and embedded media. More details at the link.

4K UHD/Blu-ray/DVD Community Thread: Bringing the Theater Home!

NSA

Oct 27, 2017
California
Apologies as I know this isn't the right thread but for the life of me I can't find the AV/Home theater thread and didn't want to make a new one just for my question.

Anyway.. a relative dropped off some home theater gear and I was wonder what is useful (and not) and how to best make use of it.

I got:

(2) Boston T930 Tower Speakers
(2) Boston Micro 80x rear(?) Speakers
(1) Boston CR2 Center Channel Speaker
(1) JBL PB12 Subwoofer

Also a 5 disk DVD changer (component only) and a Denon AVR-2801 reciever that looks really old.

I currently have an Onkyo "Atmos" Soundbar with Subwoofer, but would like to upgrade to a real soundsystem if possible. The AVR seems like it's useless, likewise for the DVD player. Could I get a new Atmos receiver and save some money by repurposing the speakers? Do they make speakers for just the upfiring portion of the 5.4 or whatever? Or are the speakers not worth bothering with?

Thanks! And point me to the AV thread if you know where it is.

Oct 27, 2017
Apologies as I know this isn't the right thread but for the life of me I can't find the AV/Home theater thread and didn't want to make a new one just for my question.

Anyway.. a relative dropped off some home theater gear and I was wonder what is useful (and not) and how to best make use of it.

I got:

(2) Boston T930 Tower Speakers
(2) Boston Micro 80x rear(?) Speakers
(1) Boston CR2 Center Channel Speaker
(1) JBL PB12 Subwoofer

Also a 5 disk DVD changer (component only) and a Denon AVR-2801 reciever that looks really old.

I currently have an Onkyo "Atmos" Soundbar with Subwoofer, but would like to upgrade to a real soundsystem if possible. The AVR seems like it's useless, likewise for the DVD player. Could I get a new Atmos receiver and save some money by repurposing the speakers? Do they make speakers for just the upfiring portion of the 5.4 or whatever? Or are the speakers not worth bothering with?

Thanks! And point me to the AV thread if you know where it is.
You can definitely reuse those speakers and they will should better than your Atmos soundbar. You can get up firing Atmos speakers or height speakers (like SVS Elevate) that will give you the Atmos channels you're looking for.

Oct 25, 2017
Most? Unless something has changed, it's only a few and now they have to be firmware downgraded
Wouldn't that only apply to BD XL drives?
Yeah I should've added those are the ones mostly here in the market. Also seems if they've been updated that a firmware downgrade seems relatively simple. That's honestly no problem, though if I had known this earlier, I would've replaced my faulty one way earlier, would've been a bit easier.