4K UHD/Blu-ray/DVD Community Thread: Bringing the Theater Home!

BdoUK

Oct 27, 2017
Louisville, KY
You just send them a disc in the mail with an address? Do you send the whole case or just the disc?

I didn't notice the issue on my disc, but I kind of want to send it in to be sure I don't have a defective one any way.
I just sent the disc with my return address inside. I also corresponded with them ahead of time and sent the tracking number to them which was probably overkill. Happy to report I have the corrected disc now and the sync issue has been fully resolved.

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017
I think it was scanned from 8K and then presented in 4K.

Honestly I kinda question the diminishing returns of doing an 8K scan, but this is Sony. Ever since the superbit DVD days they’ve been at the front of the line with big studio remasters for their classics. I guess they got the time and money to do something like that.
Sony is so consistent with their releases, it’s great. I think an 8K scan is definitely worth it over a 4K scan when you’re using 65mm. It’s a lot more information than a normal 35mm frame. Baraka was also given an 8K scan when it was remastered I believe.

-shadow-

Oct 25, 2017
Got myself the blu-rays of The Sarah Connor Chronicles. I've never watched it, but I adore The Terminator, so I was all over it when I saw it at the price I paid. But it's shockingly bizarre that the audio is only Dolby Digital. Now the upside is, I finally have another blu-ray with surround sound on my outdated setup, but still. Why the hell is it only Dolby Digital, it's insane.

DJ Lushious

Oct 27, 2017
Why the hell is it only Dolby Digital, it's insane.
Assuredly that's because it was broadcast in Dolby Digital when it was on TV. No extra work needed to re-author or re-encode the audio, meaning a cost-savings to the studio.

Star Wars Rebels is another series I just finished watching, where all the audio across the seasons is Dolby Digital on the Blu-Rays.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Got myself the blu-rays of The Sarah Connor Chronicles. I've never watched it, but I adore The Terminator, so I was all over it when I saw it at the price I paid. But it's shockingly bizarre that the audio is only Dolby Digital. Now the upside is, I finally have another blu-ray with surround sound on my outdated setup, but still. Why the hell is it only Dolby Digital, it's insane.
I don’t think the series is popular enough to warrant the expense needed to undergo adopting and translating the audio to much higher standard beyond the original masters.

-shadow-

Oct 25, 2017
It's not that I mind, with my setup I'm not hearing the difference anyway. But it's so odd to see Dolby Digital still on blu-ray, last one I had with it was Pirates Curse of the Black Pearl back in... 2007?