• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if this will help, but something similar happened to me as well with my B8 and a soundbar.

What helped me was entering the audio menu of the TV, and then fiddling around with settings such as "uncompressed" and the like.

I simply tried random things there until I got sound.
Bingo! That did it. I switched the HDMI Input Audio Format from Bitstream to PCM. That seemed to have solved it.

Did any of the other discs use DTS HD? Maybe it has an issue with it? The ones you mentioned are all Dolby Atmos.

I'm wondering if this was the underlying issue. The switch to PCM seems to have solved it. I'm gunna go back and test the other discs I've already played. I only say this may have been the issue because I also tested the other Nolan flick I have currently, Inception, and it didn't work while using Bitstream, but works with PCM.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if this is the right community to post this but, I got my C9 and i'm looking to upgrade my soundbar setup.

Is Samsung HW-Q90R good with C9? Is an eARC update gonna come to that? Or any other soundbar, on the same price range, have eARC support?

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's odd that some studios just drop the Atmos altogether for the regular Blu-ray. There's no reason not too, yet here we are. Especially looking at you Disney.

ɣGammaɣ

Oct 26, 2017
the middle of the woods
Watched the first three episodes of Seven Worlds BBC Doc. in 4k. It looks damn amazing and it should get more praise here.
South America Episode was great, Asia too, but personal preference. Also the shots possible with drones now, incredible. Only some minimal reuse - same topics - frogs as in Life.

Sagadego17

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
made my last trip to fye for 2019 spiderman was 13$ new

Nw486Ze.jpg

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So, not entire made out of films, but my latest purchases from the UK:

I do think I need to explain the two small Blade Runner coasters on the bottom. So in Greenwich there's a guy selling fully custom made coasters with a mini poster inside of it, but more interesting, actual pieces of film reel. I can't make a good photo of them now, but one is five frames of the opening title sequence showing the place/year and the second one of Roy Battey jumping from the roof towards the end. I wanted the frames of the speech he gives, but unfortunately he had also sold those. He also had Star Wars, Mary Poppins, Gone With The Wind and a ton more. For anyone near in London or near Greenwich in general, I absolutely recommend going to that market, these coasters are absolutely amazing!

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Happy to report that the Space Adventure Cobra UHD release has a fantastic transfer. There are still flaws with the source (like some softer shots and weird halo'ing around the characters at certain moments) but the movie has never looked this clean and vibrant. There's also a featurette comparing the SDR and HDR videos, and while they surely make the SDR look worse than necessary, this is a movie that can really take advantage of a wide color gamut.

Classic hand-drawn anime and 4K remasters: two great tastes that taste great together!

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
I swear if Joker and Lighthouse from Best Buy don't come with the slip cover, I'm going to rise up

golem

Oct 25, 2017
Just watched my Solo 4k disc and it's still the best movie of the new Era. Have to say Ron Howard did a good job. I actually kind of wish we got a sequel to that... oh well maybe in the comics.

Need to rewatch the space scenes in 3D... guess i'll order it off Amazon.

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
Just watched my Solo 4k disc and it's still the best movie of the new Era. Have to say Ron Howard did a good job. I actually kind of wish we got a sequel to that... oh well maybe in the comics.
It's a criminally underrated movie; glad to hear I'm not the only person on the internet who thinks so haha.

How's the HDR presentation, worth picking up the disc for?

golem

Oct 25, 2017
It's a criminally underrated movie; glad to hear I'm not the only person on the internet who thinks so haha.

How's the HDR presentation, worth picking up the disc for?
Hmm I think the 4k presentation is just so so. The movie is pretty muted overall and while it looks pretty solid on my OLED, the lack of brightness really brings down the resolution you can actually make out with your eyes. I don't really remember any standout HDR scenes either. There are a number of scenes that I think might benefit from 3D however so i'm interested in checking out version of the movie.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Hmm I think the 4k presentation is just so so. The movie is pretty muted overall and while it looks pretty solid on my OLED, the lack of brightness really brings down the resolution you can actually make out with your eyes. I don't really remember any standout HDR scenes either. There are a number of scenes that I think might benefit from 3D however so i'm interested in checking out version of the movie.

Yeah, the High Def Digest review wasn't exactly glowing, but the disc is most likely better than the Disney+ picture quality will be, so I was going to pick it up eventually.

Any cool special features?

Hexxen-panda

Oct 25, 2017
1 month into my Sony X900F and 4k Blurays, and seeing HDR on discs like Planet Earth II, Life of Pi, and The Martian makes the $2000 really worth it. One big pet peeve is that Netflix Dolby Vision makes The Irishman and The Witcher practically unwatchable unless it's pitch black in the room with the Gamma set to +2.

I've also learned to adjust viewing in a warmer colour temperature (Expert 1 or ~6500K), which lessens the saturation a bit, but makes colours look more natural and pleasing.

Is it normal that I perceive some 4K bluray discs (Skyfall, It's A Wonderful Life, Schindler's List, Terminator 2) to be really dim? I have to set my picture settings to maximize Live Colour and dynamic contrast to make it look less flat.
The image looks so flat that it's difficult to perceive detail upticks from the 4K resolution.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Yeah I'll be getting the Joker steelbook next week. Guess it's time to start praying it isn't get damaged in some way.

Westonian

Oct 27, 2017
I got Joker 4K today from Vudu disc+digital. They usually arrive early. Benefits off ordering it that way, plus an extra digital code to sell to lower my overall costs.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
I didn't like the cover art. Also I wanted to show Best Buy that they can't fool me 100 times with those smashed steelbooks.

I'm in Aus and we got the Zavvi one. Still not a fan of all the text of the front. I pick mine up in person but you can't even tell half the time until you take the jay card off.

Westonian

Oct 27, 2017
I finally broke down and bought the James Bond 24-film set. I had all of the Craig films individually, and the first 3 volumes of the randomly selected over-priced sets Sony originally released. With a gift card and $20 selling the old discs, I was able to upgrade for $15.
It takes up so much less space on the shelf too.

Also picked up All About Eve and Until the End of the World from Criterion.

Can't wait to watch the 5 hour cut of UtEotW later this week!

Monkeylord

Nov 8, 2017
UK
I finally broke down and bought the James Bond 24-film set. I had all of the Craig films individually, and the first 3 volumes of the randomly selected over-priced sets Sony originally released. With a gift card and $20 selling the old discs, I was able to upgrade for $15.
It takes up so much less space on the shelf too.

Ha! I just did the same (kinda). Had the Daniel Craig films on Blu Ray, and saw the 23 film boxset in CEX for £32. I already had a £15 voucher leftover from a previous cull, so thought I'd go for it. It has all films up to Spectre, plus a blank space so you can add it yourself. Whoever sold it to CeX had included it. So I got all the bond movies, plus duplicates of the 4 Daniel Craig films for £17. Was in perfect condition too.

Small world.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Damn missed out on Joker. Should have known it was going to be one of those random steels that sell out in like 2 days. Oh well didn't like the artwork that much anyway.

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
And it's a beaut in my opinion. I'll be getting this one too. I liked the movie, saw it in HFR 3D. Shame these are going to continue being available either in 3D or HFR.
Yeah, it's a shame that there's no definitive way of ever viewing it and Gemini Man at home. Even if there was a 3D/4k/60 option, because of polarised glasses, you'd be cutting HDR out.

I was fortunate enough to have seen Gemini Man in 3D/120, and while I don't think it's a great movie, it was worth seeing for the technical aspect alone.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Yeah, it's a shame that there's no definitive way of ever viewing it and Gemini Man at home. Even if there was a 3D/4k/60 option, because of polarised glasses, you'd be cutting HDR out.

I was fortunate enough to have seen Gemini Man in 3D/120, and while I don't think it's a great movie, it was worth seeing for the technical aspect alone.
My screening was 60 fps 3D. It wasn't advertised as HFR though. I almost missed it, and would have if I hadn't stuck my head into a screening when we were there to see something else. Went and saw it the next day.

Ramble

Sep 21, 2019
I wish I'd never bought The Matrix Trilogy in 4K.

It was amazing.

Now I'm going to have to re-buy all my movies in 4K.

What has been seen, cannot be unseen.

Westonian

Oct 27, 2017
They're not all that amazing, and I think it helps that the OG Blu-ray master was getting a little long in the tooth. You should check out some of the Sony/Columbia 4K catalog titles. They're nearly all reference quality.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Can anyone here vouch for a the VIZIO SB3621n-F8M Soundbar?

I'm in the market for a decent soundbar to match my new TCL TV, which is gorgeous, but weak in the audio department

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can anyone here vouch for a the VIZIO SB3621n-F8M Soundbar?

I'm in the market for a decent soundbar to match my new TCL TV, which is gorgeous, but weak in the audio department
This is actually the exact sound bar I have for my TCL 6 as well 😎

just like the TV, it's hard to beat for the price. Whether I'm playing something loud as Fury Road or whisper quiet as Silence, the sound is very clear, distinct, immersive. And the little subwoofer is actually quite good, too. I don't have too many complaints outside the little LED screen on the bar being useless, but I haven't used it outside of initial set up over a year ago.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
This is actually the exact sound bar I have for my TCL 6 as well 😎

just like the TV, it's hard to beat for the price. Whether I'm playing something loud as Fury Road or whisper quiet as Silence, the sound is very clear, distinct, immersive. And the little subwoofer is actually quite good, too. I don't have too many complaints outside the little LED screen on the bar being useless, but I haven't used it outside of initial set up over a year ago.
Great to hear! Thanks for the impressions!

I'll definitely go for it