• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Amazon has a bunch of UHDs at 3 for $40 or less. That makes them $13.33 each.

Amory

Oct 27, 2017
I've already picked up far too many UHDs in the last few days with all the sales, but I ended up springing for Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk today ($10 on Amazon)

I'm not interested in the movie (beyond Kristen Stewart being in it, who I've had a forever crush on) but apparently it's the only disk that plays at 60 FPS and it's completely unique in that regard. I'm interested in checking that out.

NealMcCauley

Oct 27, 2017
I've already picked up far too many UHDs in the last few days with all the sales, but I ended up springing for Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk today ($10 on Amazon)

I'm not interested in the movie (beyond Kristen Stewart being in it, who I've had a forever crush on) but apparently it's the only disk that plays at 60 FPS and it's completely unique in that regard. I'm interested in checking that out.

It's a pretty unique experience. Took a bit for my eyes to adjust to the motion at first. The movie is shot in a way that it often looks like characters are talking to Billy's POV/the camera, and the higher frame rate makes it look like they really are talking to you.

I went in blind and thought it was an okay movie IMO. Besides the combat scene and halftime show it's small scale. It's pretty much a day in the life of a soldier on leave.

Amory

Oct 27, 2017
It's a pretty unique experience. Took a bit for my eyes to adjust to the motion at first. The movie is shot in a way that it often looks like characters are talking to Billy's POV/the camera, and the higher frame rate makes it look like they really are talking to you.

I went in blind and thought it was an okay movie IMO. Besides the combat scene and halftime show it's small scale. It's pretty much a day in the life of a soldier on leave.
Thanks for the impressions! I'm looking forward to seeing what a 60 fps movie is like, though I've heard other people say it's jarring and they actually prefer the current standard (24 fps or so?)

The film itself I'm sure will be alright, I just already have a bunch of war/soldier movies in my collection and don't particularly need another one. But the tech is enough of a draw for me.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA

What can play it at 60hz? Can the Xbox One X?

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So, I got Logan from Best Buy for Black Friday. Was the 4K Blu-ray supposed to come with a dust jacket? Mine doesn't have one, but I also don't have the special edition with Logan noir so maybe it never came with one.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
The Incredibles 2 Steelbook is beautiful (the EU one at least). Watched about half of it last night and it's one of the best sounding Disney BD/UHD mixes I've heard in ages. You still have to turn the volume up as usual but in this case it doesn't seem like the dynamics are gimped much, if it at all.

NealMcCauley

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the impressions! I'm looking forward to seeing what a 60 fps movie is like, though I've heard other people say it's jarring and they actually prefer the current standard (24 fps or so?)

The film itself I'm sure will be alright, I just already have a bunch of war/soldier movies in my collection and don't particularly need another one. But the tech is enough of a draw for me.

Yeah it can be jarring until your eyes get used to it. For me the hfr in Billy was not as in your face or weird looking as the Hobbit trilogy.

What can play it at 60hz? Can the Xbox One X?

I'd assume so. I think any 4k player should be able to play the disc.

So, I got Logan from Best Buy for Black Friday. Was the 4K Blu-ray supposed to come with a dust jacket? Mine doesn't have one, but I also don't have the special edition with Logan noir so maybe it never came with one.

Fox drops slipcovers the quickest of the studios from what I've noticed. I think the Noir discs were only included with the first batch or two of discs.

Amory

Oct 27, 2017
My copy doesn't either, fwiw, (also non special edition) but obviously it can be hit or miss even if the original release did include one. I'd guess it probably did.

Personally I stopped worrying about slips even though it's annoying not to get one. If I get one, great, and I prefer to have one, but if I don't eh whatever. I likely waited until the disk was heavily discounted so I get what I get.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
I'd assume so. I think any 4k player should be able to play the disc.

Saw some differing stuff about the One S, but no confirmation. X is a different matter anyways. I grabbed it for $10 cause why the heck not. Somehow it had completely slipped me by that this was shot in 120hz and 3D. I'd have loved to get a chance to see that, but this will have to do.

NealMcCauley

Oct 27, 2017
Saw some differing stuff about the One S, but no confirmation. X is a different matter anyways. I grabbed it for $10 cause why the heck not. Somehow it had completely slipped me by that this was shot in 120hz and 3D. I'd have loved to get a chance to see that, but this will have to do.

Yeah I wouldn't know about the x1's unfortunately. I have an x800 and it played the movie fine.

The movie's worth watching at least once IMO. Good atmos mix too. The halftime show is kinda intense if you have a decent system.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Yeah I wouldn't know about the x1's unfortunately. I have an x800 and it played the movie fine.

The movie's worth watching at least once IMO. Good atmos mix too. The halftime show is kinda intense if you have a decent system.
I've *technically* got an ATMOS setup, but I haven't been fucked to wire presence speakers, so it's really just a 7.1 setup.

I am in love with 4K film grain. These Carpenter releases have been exactly what I want.

Liquidsnake

Oct 27, 2017
Can someone help me, 4k version of the original blade runner. The audio is weird. Its very loud for effects and music, but spoken word is very low. Especially during the first time we see Deckard at night at the noodle bar................

Amory

Oct 27, 2017
Ok can someone explain this to me like I'm 5? I just bought a condo which has surround sound speakers built into the walls in the living room.

There's 3 speakers built in around where the TV is mounted, one on each side and one above it, and then 2 speakers behind the couch one on the left one on the right. So that's a 5.1 setup yeah?

Ok, how do I make the sound come out of the damn things? There's an input below the tv:

20181126_202943_zpsyrxpchiz.jpg

Is that just where a receiver goes?? So I'd just need to buy one and voila? What's a decent cheap 5.1 receiver? I have a B6P oled if that matters.

I know this is real dumb but I've never had a system before so I don't know what I'm looking at.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
Ok can someone explain this to me like I'm 5? I just bought a condo which has surround sound speakers built into the walls in the living room.

There's 3 speakers built in around where the TV is mounted, one on each side and one above it, and then 2 speakers behind the couch one on the left one on the right. So that's a 5.1 setup yeah?

Ok, how do I make the sound come out of the damn things? There's an input below the tv:

Is that just where a receiver goes?? So I'd just need to buy one and voila? What's a decent cheap 5.1 receiver? I have a B6P oled if that matters.

I know this is real dumb but I've never had a system before so I don't know what I'm looking at.

Umm, are those the only ports? There should be more. Do you know where those L and R RCA ports lead to for sure?

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017

That is the OUTPUT (as labeled) from an in-wall iPod dock. You put the iPod in the dock and then those plugs go to the aux input on your receiver.

http://channelvision.com/product/ibus-on-wall-dock-made-for-ipod/

That is not hooked up to any speakers.

Look harder. :)

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
That is the OUTPUT (as labeled) from an in-wall iPod dock. You put the iPod in the dock and then those plugs go to the aux input on your receiver.

http://channelvision.com/product/ibus-on-wall-dock-made-for-ipod/

That is not hooked up to any speakers.

Look harder. :)

Well technically it could be input despite what the label says. Most likely you're right but without knowing where it terminates on the other end, it's hard to say what they exactly are.

Amory

Oct 27, 2017
And yes it makes sense that that would be for an iPod, as there's an iPod dock built into the wall as well

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Well technically it could be input despite what the label says. Most likely you're right but without knowing where it terminates on the other end, it's hard to say what they exactly are.

It is literally one half of an iPod dock system. Unless the previous owner did some crazy custom wiring, it's an output. From an iPod.

Hm. What about these?

20181126_214057_zpsnfslkmfb.jpg

There's like 4 cables coming out of the wall. Is that something? No idea why they're all stripped

The red/black wires in the grey outer shell are likely speaker wire. Each one should go to one speaker.

They're "stripped" because most consumer level receivers have the wire clip in directly, or if you have a higher end receiver, you put banana plugs on the wires and then plug those into your receiver.

The black wires on the left with the silver ends are coax (antenna or cable or an in-home distro), as is the clipped black wire with the white center and single wire inside.

I can't make out the black wires covered by masking tape in the center bottom because the photo doesn't show the ends.

Amory

Oct 27, 2017
It is literally one half of an iPod dock system. Unless the previous owner did some crazy custom wiring, it's an output. From an iPod.

The red/black wires in the grey outer shell are likely speaker wire. Each one should go to one speaker.

They're "stripped" because most consumer level receivers have the wire clip in directly, or if you have a higher end receiver, you put banana plugs on the wires and then plug those into your receiver.

The black wires on the left with the silver ends are coax (antenna or cable or an in-home distro), as is the clipped black wire with the white center and single wire inside.

I can't make out the black wires covered by masking tape in the center bottom because the photo doesn't show the ends.
The black cables with the tape are component cables. I don't know why they're there.

The setup is a TV mounted above a mantle, with a gas fireplace directly below and then an indent below that where the outlets and cables are in the pictures. I found a 4th stereo wire but no 5th. I'll dig around some more. These stereo wires don't seem nearly long enough to connect to a receiver though even if I find the 5th.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
The black cables with the tape are component cables. I don't know why they're there.

The setup is a TV mounted above a mantle, with a gas fireplace directly below and then an indent below that where the outlets and cables are in the pictures. I found a 4th stereo wire but no 5th. I'll dig around some more. These stereo wires don't seem nearly long enough to connect to a receiver though even if I find the 5th.

If it is three wire component, the other end likely terminates at the TV. That is very likely how the previous owner got video from the receiver to the TV. If you have a surround setup the TV is usually just a dumb monitor. Doubly so if the old TV was not a smart TV.

You can use the component wires to pull a HDMI cable thru the wall if you want to upgrade.

As for the short speaker wire, it was probably cut to fit the existing receiver at the time. No need to have excess wire length. Your fifth wire is probably hiding in the wall receptacle.

Amory

Oct 27, 2017
If it is three wire component, the other end likely terminates at the TV. That is very likely how the previous owner got video from the receiver to the TV. If you have a surround setup the TV is usually just a dumb monitor. Doubly so if the old TV was not a smart TV.

You can use the component wires to pull a HDMI cable thru the wall if you want to upgrade.

As for the short speaker wire, it was probably cut to fit the existing receiver at the time. No need to have excess wire length. Your fifth wire is probably hiding in the wall receptacle.
Ok, that makes sense. Weirdly there's an HDMI cable up by the tv that I haven't been able to figure out what it connects to. There's no HDMI at the bottom. Maybe it got lost in the wall, or I guess it might even be possible that the receiver didn't have HDMI and they have a converter connecting the HDMI to the component cables.

Seems I've got a bit of a project on my hands. Thanks a lot for your help

OP
OP
KDash

KDash

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Does anyone have the TCL 55S405? If so, how is the HDR on it?
We have two at my house. The HDR is not great. Passable in movies, but super washed out looking for games. Though it's also my only experience with HDR...but I haven't been impressed.

Everything else about it is pretty nice, though. SDR looks great, 1080p and lower upscales nicely, and the response time in game mode is exceptional.

zetsubou

Oct 25, 2017
United States
We have two at my house. The HDR is not great. Passable in movies, but super washed out looking for games. Though it's also my only experience with HDR...but I haven't been impressed.

Everything else about it is pretty nice, though. SDR looks great, 1080p and lower upscales nicely, and the response time in game mode is exceptional.
Thanks!

zetsubou

Oct 25, 2017
United States
I'd recommend the TCL 6 series if you have the money. It's HDR is actually quite good and a noticeable improvement from the five.

CNET had a more thorough review

https://www.cnet.com/reviews/tcl-65r617-2018-roku-tv-review/

Yeah, but we don't carry it at my store and we're getting an extra 15% off discount for working Thanksgiving/black Friday so I was thinking about that. I'm aware of the 6s improvements in hdr.

Anyone know anything about the sharp aquos LC-55Q7030U

OP
OP
KDash

KDash

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Just got The Muppets in the mail. I was going to order it from Disney Movie Rewards, but then I found out there was a version with my more stuff, and so I ordered it from Amazon for $1.20 after I used a $5 gift card.

vCvjTZF.jpg

I did order some other stuff from Disney Movie Rewards, which used up most of my points, so it worked out. I'm waiting on a copy of the Walt Disney Animation Studios Short Films Collection and a figure of Moana from Ralph Breaks the Internet. After I activate the codes from these, I'm gonna order Toy Story That Time Forgot.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Just got The Muppets in the mail. I was going to order it from Disney Movie Rewards, but then I found out there was a version with my more stuff, and so I ordered it from Amazon for $1.20 after I used a $5 gift card.

vCvjTZF.jpg

I did order some other stuff from Disney Movie Rewards, which used up most of my points, so it worked out. I'm waiting on a copy of the Walt Disney Animation Studios Short Films Collection and a figure of Moana from Ralph Breaks the Internet. After I activate the codes from these, I'm gonna order Toy Story That Time Forgot.
That Muppets movie is so effing good. Both of them are, Most Wanted was great too.

OP
OP
KDash

KDash

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
That Muppets movie is so effing good. Both of them are, Most Wanted was great too.
Hell yeah!

I got Most Wanted's extended version from Disney Movie Rewards a few months back but haven't watched it yet, so I bought The Muppets so I could watch both soon. Haven't watched them since they were in theaters. Might watch The Muppets tonight if nothing else comes up.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Watched Prince of Darkness 4K (Studio Canal release) last night on my Xbox One X. Looked rather nice, other than some compression artifacting on some of the matte shots of skies. Just like, three or so shots. I'd have loved them to punch the green of the evil goo up a bit more, but original vision and all that. Definitely the best the film has looked and sounded by far. It's not one of Carpenter's most respected, but I've always been a big fan of the pseudo science/religious stuff.

Also, it has an upper Carpenter tier ending which is the highest tier of movie endings there are by the way. I mean that shouldn't be too surprising for a Carpenter movie, but they don't all reach the level that Halloween, The Thing and In The Mouth of Madness do (all of which have endings that are absolutely perfect in every way). This one does, even if the rest of the film doesn't meet his best.

If you're a Carpenter fan and you've overlooked this one, nows probably as good a time to get onboard as there will ever be. I doubt future formats can squeeze much more of the movie than this beautiful transfer (that went back to the camera negatives) does.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Scored The Lego Batman Film and this amazing Blade Runner 2049 steelbook for €10. One of the few actually good deals I've got in the Netherlands.
Lego Batman is probably the film I've watched the most in UHD because it's such an HDR showcase and it's hugely rewatchable. It's almost always what I grab when I want to show off the format. Sure, it's not a 4K DI etc etc, but the contrast of bright colours and moody environments is an eye pleaser.

I'm really hoping Into The Spider-Verse will be the same.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I still don't have access to a 4k screen or player, so I still purchase on standard blu-ray since most of the 4K stuff seems mostly unscaled anyway. I am most curious about the HDR, but I guess that will have to wait a bit until prices come way down.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
Star Trek Discovery is $30.84 at Walmart. That's kind of bordering my impulse buy price on that.

Velasco

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New 4K Blu-ray discs with HDR10+

Bad Times at El Royale (20th Century Fox) (mentioned in AVSForum and Blu-ray.com, can't find the source for this info)
We, the Marines (Documentary-Shout Factory)

The German 4K release of Sicario: Day of the Soldado includes Dolby Vision.

Last edited:

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
New 4K Blu-ray discs with HDR10+

Bad Times at El Royale (20th Century Fox)
We, the Marines (Documentary-Shout Factory)

The German 4K release of Sicario: Day of the Soldado includes Dolby Vision.
Ooh, interesting. So what can actually play them?

My copy of Billy Lynn 4K came in today. Just want to confirm that the X plays it back at 60fps without issue. It looks beautiful. I'll definitely be watching this soon.

Velasco

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ooh, interesting. So what can actually play them?
Panasonic DP-UB420, DP-UB820, DP-UB9000 (this player supports HDR10, HLG, HDR10+ and Dolby Vision).Possibly Samsung 2017-2018 4K players.Don't know if HDR10+ support applies to both discs and streaming.There are two more (announced) HDR10+ discs: A Beautiful Planet and Journey to the South Pacific.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017

Ya, it's sad that there is no one best way to watch that show.

US Streaming = No 5.1, no HDR, lower bitrate
International = 5.1, HDR, lower bitrate
Blu-ray = 5.1, high bitrate, no HDR

I was really shocked when I learned there wasn't a 4K version of it at all when it first started airing.