• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
hey any fellow rippers in here? Recently i've gotten a couple of blu-rays that have DTS-HD HRA on them. I've ripped almost 500 movies and TV shows and never seen this one. A cursory google search didnt reveal much other than a few threads from 2013 talking about it.

Huh? I haven't seen this or didn't notice before. Which discs?

OP
OP
KDash

KDash

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Got these from Disney Movie Rewards. Toy Story That Time Forgot came in last Friday, and the Walt Disney Animation Studios Short Films Collection arrived today (even though I ordered it well before the other).

aQOLUNg.jpg

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
I'm giving away iTunes UHD codes for all the Mission Impossible movies in the "Free to a Good Home" thread. The Gift Bot isn't working so I'll drop them out there one at a time.

First one is up.

Edit: I moved this to the proper UV/MA code giveaway thread.

Last edited:

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
i cant remember the first one, maybe the good dinosaur, but the second i ripped today the Incredibles 2.

I just checked out my rip of The Good Dinosaur and sure enough, there was a DTS-HD HRA track. I just never noticed it before. I typically set MakeMKV to automatically select all English tracks and every now and then skim the track selection to make sure it's working. I guess I simply didn't pay attention that there was a track I didn't recognize.

Oct 25, 2017
Just bought the 4K Mission Impossible 6 movie collection as I didn't have them all, haven't seen Fallout yet and Walmart had a good price ($87).

However, I need to stop buying movies because I'm buying them a lot faster than I'm watching them.

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017
I couldn't find a general home theater thread so thought I'd ask here..

I've got an LGB7. Fantastic TV. 7-8 years ago I bought an Onkyo home theater in a box. Receiver, 5.1 speakers. I loved it at the time, but after multiple moves and having two kids it just kind of sat there collecting dust after not setting it up from moving.

I recently set it up for my B7. Just 2.1 right now. Audio from optical on the TV to the receiver, so no HDMI is going to the TV or from the receiver.

However.. it sounds kind of flat compared to the TV speakers. Is it possible that the B7 has better built in speakers than these standalone over optical? I've always thought standalone were almost always better than built in.

Oct 25, 2017
However.. it sounds kind of flat compared to the TV speakers. Is it possible that the B7 has better built in speakers than these standalone over optical? I've always thought standalone were almost always better than built in.

Generally speaking, stand-alone speakers are always better than TV speakers due to the limitations that TV speakers have. Are there some stand-alone speakers that are just crap? Sure, but I would expect the speakers that Onkyo boxed in to be better. Have you tried any of the calibrations on the receiver? Is the sub working? Also, any other reason you haven't connected the other speakers? Regarding Optical, while you can only do 5.1 and can't get lossless audio with optical, it should still sound better than stereo speakers.

For me, surround sound is important. More so than video, but I know most don't agree. Surround Sound, when done right (i.e. Dolby Atmos) adds so much to both movies and games.

Oct 25, 2017
That's great! And weren't they also doing one for Aladdin (probably due to the live-action movie coming soon? The Little Mermaid and Aladdin are the two Disney Renaissance-era films not available on digital platforms due to being in the dreaded vault.

We know it's coming, but they've been saying that a whole bunch of vaulted movies are gonna be part of the Signature Collection, and a bunch of them haven't popped up yet.

I'm still waiting for Fantasia.

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017
Generally speaking, stand-alone speakers are always better than TV speakers due to the limitations that TV speakers have. Are there some stand-alone speakers that are just crap? Sure, but I would expect the speakers that Onkyo boxed in to be better. Have you tried any of the calibrations on the receiver? Is the sub working? Also, any other reason you haven't connected the other speakers? Regarding Optical, while you can only do 5.1 and can't get lossless audio with optical, it should still sound better than stereo speakers.

For me, surround sound is important. More so than video, but I know most don't agree. Surround Sound, when done right (i.e. Dolby Atmos) adds so much to both movies and games.
Haven't connected the rear speakers because I haven't figured out a decent way to wire them to the receiver that's kid friendly. That's on the todo list after the holidays.

I didn't know optical couldn't do lossless. Is lossless only possible through HDMI? The receiver is 7-8 years old so obviously it doesn't have HDMI pass through. Is that what the ARC HDMI port is for on my TV? To pass all of the audio from the TV to receiver but keep the video inputs on the TV? Assuming the receiver has to be ARC compatible..

I'll mess with settings when I have some time today.

For reference, I don't remember it ever sounding this flat on my old Panasonic plasma, but that was all through HDMI since it was only 1080p.

Son Goku

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Hey guys I have a Sony HTNT5 soundbar and have been really happy with the sound but it doesn't work with the lg magic remote which is quite annoying as it's the only part of my setup that doesn't. I was looking at switching to something that might have more dialogue clarity and would be more compatible. Thought about sonos but then some people say it's not worth it without the sub which makes things pretty expensive and have been looking at Bose but reviews have been hit or miss with those. Any suggestions? It's going with a 4K 65" LG OLED if that makes any difference

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys I have a Sony HTNT5 soundbar and have been really happy with the sound but it doesn't work with the lg magic remote which is quite annoying as it's the only part of my setup that doesn't. I was looking at switching to something that might have more dialogue clarity and would be more compatible. Thought about sonos but then some people say it's not worth it without the sub which makes things pretty expensive and have been looking at Bose but reviews have been hit or miss with those. Any suggestions? It's going with a 4K 65" LG OLED if that makes any difference
I recently bought this VIZIO 2.1 Sound Bar and have been very happy with it. The dialogue is especially clear, and the little subwoofer has a pretty nice bass when you put it in the corner of your room. I had a great experience watching Fury Road again on my new set-up. The soundtrack roars, but you can hear with perfect clarity those whispers that haunt Max's head, or the soft spoken conversation between him and Furiosa when wondering what to do next. Best of all, you can get it for $180, which for the quality of the product is remarkable. If you done research on soundbars/soundbases/surround sound systems/etc you know how crazy expensive they could be, so this is a great budget option. You can read more about it here.

Oozer

Oct 25, 2017
I am all over The Little Mermaid in 4K. Considering how stingy Disney has been with putting legacy movies out in the format, I'm a little surprised they didn't wait for the release of the live action version.

That's great! And weren't they also doing one for Aladdin (probably due to the live-action movie coming soon? The Little Mermaid and Aladdin are the two Disney Renaissance-era films not available on digital platforms due to being in the dreaded vault.

I have both of them in my VUDU library for some reason. At some point, Disney must have converted my Disney Movie Rewards codes to digital copies.

EdReedFan20

Oct 25, 2017
I am all over The Little Mermaid in 4K. Considering how stingy Disney has been with putting legacy movies out in the format, I'm a little surprised they didn't wait for the release of the live action version.

I have both of them in my VUDU library for some reason. At some point, Disney must have converted my Disney Movie Rewards codes to digital copies.

That means you acquired them before they went into the vault. For a while, you couldn't buy the Lion King digitally (until it got the Signature release last year), but because I bought the Platinum 3D version, I had access to the movie. In Movies Anywhere, The Little Mermaid and Aladdin are there, they're just behind a lock. You can see all the bonus features and everything. It's like a tease.

OP
OP
KDash

KDash

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
I have both The Little Mermaid and Aladdin on Movies Anywhere because of some old codes my older brother never used and gave to me a few months ago.

I don't own either on Blu-ray, just some old DVDs. I was debating buying some used copies online, but with them releasing the movies on 4K Blu-ray, I might as well wait.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017

Not currently available for sale in the US, but both were released on Blu previously, and both have digital codes, and can be played back on digital storefronts in the US if you own them (or redeem a code).

We know it's coming, but they've been saying that a whole bunch of vaulted movies are gonna be part of the Signature Collection, and a bunch of them haven't popped up yet.

I'm still waiting for Fantasia.

Fantasia has never been officially released in the US outside of Disney's prior (now shuttered) digital service. If you had it there, you got it moved to DMA and then to MA, but otherwise, no way to get.

If you had them on Blu, the DMR codes doubled as DMA codes.

That said, ALL of this only pertains to the US. Swap your Google Play or Microsoft Movies region to Oz or Europe, and you can buy any Disney animated film. The "Vault" doesn't exist overseas.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
Ugh, I bought the Westworld S2 UHD without realizing it didn't include the regular Blu-Rays. Guess I really need to get on the ball of actually getting a UHD player and a 4K TV, lol!!!

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017

So to followup on this..

I played around some more on Saturday and discovered that my receiver supports ARC. That was surprising since it was a relatively budget priced receiver in 2011. I was under the impression that was a newer technology.

Anyway, plugged the receiver into the ARC port of my TV, and everything works perfectly. The TV even turns the receiver on/and off when the power to the TV is toggled. That's a win for the wife/kids.

And it may be placebo, but I think it sounds better too.

Oct 25, 2017
So to followup on this..

I played around some more on Saturday and discovered that my receiver supports ARC. That was surprising since it was a relatively budget priced receiver in 2011. I was under the impression that was a newer technology.

Anyway, plugged the receiver into the ARC port of my TV, and everything works perfectly. The TV even turns the receiver on/and off when the power to the TV is toggled. That's a win for the wife/kids.

And it may be placebo, but I think it sounds better too.

I don't know a ton about ARC, but it stands for Audio Return channel. It basically allows audio produced by the TV (i.e. smart tv apps) to return audio to a receiver or sound bar without an additional cable. It also allows the components to be turned on/off based on signals sent. I also believe there is a limit on the audio formats it can pass so it just might be a placebo effect depending on what you were testing for your audio source.

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know a ton about ARC, but it stands for Audio Return channel. It basically allows audio produced by the TV (i.e. smart tv apps) to return audio to a receiver or sound bar without an additional cable. It also allows the components to be turned on/off based on signals sent. I also believe there is a limit on the audio formats it can pass so it just might be a placebo effect depending on what you were testing for your audio source.
Yeah I am by no means an audiophile but it definitely sounds better and not as tinny as my TV speakers. I'm going to roll with this setup for now and hook the sub up after the holidays.

Kaiken

Oct 25, 2017
Brother just scored a 4K TV with HDR (budget LG). He's more old fashioned kinda guy but can't wait for his retinas to see what its got for Christmas. Scored an LG 4K Blu-Ray player with 4K versions of Planet Earth II/Blue Planet II, Blade Runner 2049, IT and Ready Player One for under $215.00.

Westonian

Oct 27, 2017
I just want to say to everyone that you're welcome. Because I bought the UK import of Willow earlier this year, of COURSE Disney announces a 30th anniversary re-release:

https://www.amazon.com/WILLOW-Blu-ray-Val-Kilmer/dp/B07JYQTLWF

Might pick this one up for the digital code (if it's a new transfer), and give my import copy to a friend.

Tomorrow is going to hurt:
The House with a Clock in its Walls 4K
Venom 4K
Predator 4K
A Simple Favor 4K

splash wave

Oct 25, 2017
Bay Area, CA
About how many UHDs are out there now? As an arthouse/independent/foreign cinema guy, will the format mostly be wasted on me? I'm tempted to get a 4K player, if only because the upscaling on some of the better ones is fantastic.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Ugh, I bought the Westworld S2 UHD without realizing it didn't include the regular Blu-Rays. Guess I really need to get on the ball of actually getting a UHD player and a 4K TV, lol!!!

You bought the Best Buy steelbook, didn't you?

The regular UHD release does include the standard discs. The steelbook does not.

81tkKCXs0dL._SL1500_.jpg

NealMcCauley

Oct 27, 2017
Went to BB right as they opened and picked up Schindler's List and 2001. Seems like they're only carrying the 2001 steelbook in stores in limited quantities.

Also got Gladiator and Dunkirk for my parents.

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
I just want to say how bad it annoys me when 4K UHD Blu-Ray movies default to DTS-HD or Dolby TrueHD surround tracks. I've gotten into the habit of going into every disc's audio menu before starting a movie, just as a precaution.

Rampage was the most recent disc I watched with this "issue."

Haven't connected the rear speakers because I haven't figured out a decent way to wire them to the receiver that's kid friendly. That's on the todo list after the holidays.
They make wireless transmitters for people in your situation, if you're willing to spend the money.

Is there no way to run the cables under carpeting, base boards, or through the wall?

4K version of The Little Mermaid confirmed! Rumored release date is February 26th, 2019.
Day. One. I have yet to watch the 4K UHD Blu-Ray of The Lion King, but that's definitely gonna happen this week or next, when I am on vacation. I haven't watched that movie in over 20 years now.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
I just want to say how bad it annoys me when 4K UHD Blu-Ray movies default to DTS-HD or Dolby TrueHD surround tracks. I've gotten into the habit of going into every disc's audio menu before starting a movie, just as a precaution.

What is wrong with defaulting to a surround track? If you have a UHD display, you probably also invested in a decent sound setup. No need to default to stereo.

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017

TheKeyPit

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Finally got around to watch the recent Tomb Raider movie in UHD. The movie was okay, not great, not bad. Picture quality was very nice, and the Atmos was good with my headphones. This even supported Atmos for my native language.

I really want Microsoft to add Dolby Vision support for the Blu-ray app.

Westonian

Oct 27, 2017
I really want Microsoft to add Dolby Vision support for the Blu-ray app.

If it happens, I bet it will be an extra app you have to buy to unlock the license, as DV ain't cheap. They might be waiting to see if HDR10+ catches on, as that provides pretty much every benefit of DV over vanilla HDR at a fraction of the licensing costs.

NealMcCauley

Oct 27, 2017
2001's Star Gate is an hdr showcase when the visuals go nuts.

Listening to the "original" 5.1 mix and love how old school the track sounds.

Westonian

Oct 27, 2017
Watched The Predator 4K last night.

HDR was really nice on this, and the soundtrack is great. Lots of good spacial sound effects mixing. Movie was great too. Love Shane Black, and I'm glad he didn't try to take the story too seriously.