• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

woo

Nov 11, 2017
Yeah I am definitely getting that, day one, can't say I am a fan of the box art though tbh.

I was thinking more along the lines of Nightmare On Elm Street, Scream 1-4, Friday etc.

I am not a fan of the box art either. Fingers crossed they change it prior to release. They won't :(.

I can't help you with the other movies though. They are far too scary for me. Alien is bad enough for my tastes. I have seen it numerous times so know it very well but it still sucks me in every time.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I just want the original cut of Forever instead of the theatrical cut. Though I doubt we'll ever get that at this point.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
You should check out what was originally planned or watch the included deleted scenes (even if one in particular is terrible) with the film. Apparently the entire first act and middle were reshuffled to fit with the current style. Yes, there was still a very bright and family friendly tone, but there was also a lot more stuff going on that never happened in the end.

Westonian

Oct 27, 2017
Watched the "new" Last Action Hero release last night and it is rough. Not a great transfer (not terrible, and no unnecessary DNR or edge enhancements), but the sound mix is awful. Way too heavy on the surrounds with the music score drowning out the dialog and other sounds effects. Also disappointed that the VHS art is just a slip cover and not on the actual Blu-ray case. Still, it was $7, so I wasn't exactly expecting a Criterion level effort.

Additional pickups this week:
Once Upon a Deadpool - It was funny. Glad it was cheap.
Notorious (Criterion) - My favorite Hitchcock finally gets its CC Blu-ray release!
Matilda - Forgot this finally got a Blu-ray release. So happy to finally retire my old pan/scan DVD!
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid - Been meaning to upgrade my DVD copy for a long time. Picked this up a few $ at a thrift store.
Walk the Line - Same as Sundance
Matrix Reloaded (4K) - Finally grabbed the last of the trilogy in 4K (Picked up 1 & 3 cheap).

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
Watched the "new" Last Action Hero release last night and it is rough. Not a great transfer (not terrible, and no unnecessary DNR or edge enhancements), but the sound mix is awful. Way too heavy on the surrounds with the music score drowning out the dialog and other sounds effects. Also disappointed that the VHS art is just a slip cover and not on the actual Blu-ray case. Still, it was $7, so I wasn't exactly expecting a Criterion level effort.
I haven't gotten to it yet, but from the slip cover I thought it said there was only a Dolby Digital surround mix. Blu-Ray.com corroborates this. I'd have happily glossed over this release and gotten the older one with the DTS-HD MA mix.

I'd love to get that Arrow Crimson Peak release, but that price is way too rich for my blood.

NealMcCauley

Oct 27, 2017
Looks like the VHS cover of LAH was released by Mill Creek. You're pretty much playing Russian Roulette with anything distributed by them. I think they're the same people who released 1080i 16:9 cable masters in blu's early days.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
I should just stop Steelbooks. I picked up Halloween at Best Buy today and it looked perfect... until I unwrapped it. There's a small but noticeable dent on the front.

Edit: Wow, 2 for 2 today. The new Predator movie arrived today and it was dented right behind the top where the back cover slip bends over the steelbook.

Last edited:

Westonian

Oct 27, 2017
Looks like the VHS cover of LAH was released by Mill Creek. You're pretty much playing Russian Roulette with anything distributed by them. I think they're the same people who released 1080i 16:9 cable masters in blu's early days.
That's what I get for not doing my research on this one. Maybe I can find the Sony release somewhere cheap and put the Sony disc in my Mill Creek case.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
I should just stop Steelbooks. I picked up Halloween at Best Buy today and it looked perfect... until I unwrapped it. There's a small but noticeable dent on the front.

Edit: Wow, 2 for 2 today. The new Predator movie arrived today and it was dented right behind the top where the back cover slip bends over the steelbook.

I've complained about this forever but I still get sucked in occasionally. I think it's literally a 50% chance you have a scratch or dent in a Steelbook before you even take off the plastic.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
My experience with steelbooks is that half the time one the disc itself has popped out of it's connector and is just rattling around inside.
Has happened to me twice which is when I decided to stop getting them all together.

Only reason I got the second steelbook (Guardians of the Galaxy 2) was because it included the regular Bluray, 4k bluray, and 3D bluray.

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like the dr. Strange 4k listing was an error and it's just a reprint. Ugh, I don't want to buy the blu ray just for the 4k to come out in may or something stupid. God dammit.

woo

Nov 11, 2017
Looks like the dr. Strange 4k listing was an error and it's just a reprint. Ugh, I don't want to buy the blu ray just for the 4k to come out in may or something stupid. God dammit.

That is very disappointing :'(. Love this movie. I already have it on Blu Ray but would happily double dip for the upgrade. Oh well, hopefully it is still coming. Marvel seems to be working their way through them so perhaps it will be delayed until just before the theatrical release of its sequel.

Shrennin

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know if there's a Deadpool 2 combo pack that has both Deadpool 2 super duper cut and Once Upon a Deadpool?

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone got a tip for a good (and hopefully cheap) region free blu-ray player? It doesn't need to be able to do much except to play any region. But I can't really find many that are, and some seem rather expensive.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Finally got around to watching Men In Black on UHD. Man the audio is pretty damn good for an old movie.

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
Finally got around to watching Men In Black on UHD. Man the audio is pretty damn good for an old movie.
The Atmos mix is stellar! It was one of the first Atmos titles I watched and Ihad a lot of fun. It uses the ambience well and there's some fun overhead effects in there, too.

How it the picture quality?
I thought it was fantastic, but I'd say that your opinion will be heavily influenced on whether or not you want film grain in your home viewing experience.

Oct 26, 2017
I had willow pre-ordered since Jan 7th and it says its scheduled to be here today but there is no tracking or shipping movement yet. New date for new orders say first week of feb

Westonian

Oct 27, 2017
I had willow pre-ordered since Jan 7th and it says its scheduled to be here today but there is no tracking or shipping movement yet. New date for new orders say first week of feb
I was at Best Buy today and they had like 20 copies. I assume you ordered from Amazon, because Willow is now a Disney release and Disney never gives Amazon inventory prior to release dates on their titles. Those two will never stop fighting I swear.

Oct 26, 2017
I was at Best Buy today and they had like 20 copies. I assume you ordered from Amazon, because Willow is now a Disney release and Disney never gives Amazon inventory prior to release dates on their titles. Those two will never stop fighting I swear.

Gotcha. Anyway yeah, they finally shipped it and it'll get here tomorrow. Have tracking ID on it now

mehm

Oct 27, 2017
Got this Beauty today.

p.jpeg

LatteToGo

Oct 28, 2017
I've seen the light! I've just seen Planet Earth II, just blow my eyes out. Just damn. Just kinda wish my dad would've watch it with me, he love this kind of show :(

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
Sorry i cant find this on google, but isnt there a location that details the digital releases for new movies? I know i can find when they come out for purchase/rent at the stores, but Vudu and other digital stores have them available earlier sometimes.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Australia somehow only gets the BD version of the A Star is Born steelbook. Probably for the best because I end up being pissed 50% of the time when my steelbook is damaged.

Pitchfork

Oct 28, 2017
England
Pre Ordered the Alien 40th anniversary 4k steelbook from Zavvi (UK). One of my all time favourite movies, can't wait to see how it looks in UHD!

woo

Nov 11, 2017
Pre Ordered the Alien 40th anniversary 4k steelbook from Zavvi (UK). One of my all time favourite movies, can't wait to see how it looks in UHD!

I expect it shall look pretty stunning. I am tempted but I am not a fan of the cover although I dislike it less than the regular cover.

NealMcCauley

Oct 27, 2017
Best Buy just put up listings for a regular 4k and a steelbook of Alien in the last few minutes. No item page, just search "alien 4k" and they'll be part of the results. April 2.

NeoBob688

Oct 27, 2017
This has likely been asked a lot, but...

What are some of the best 4K Blu-rays of good movies, either newer films or great remasters of older ones. I hear some 4K remasters are not great.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
any fellow rippers ripped Split?

trying to rip it on two different blu-ray drives with MakeMKV and its failing. Of course i can't find anything on google about it because 'split' is too generic.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
any fellow rippers ripped Split?

trying to rip it on two different blu-ray drives with MakeMKV and its failing. Of course i can't find anything on google about it because 'split' is too generic.

Hmm, I just checked and I did indeed rip it. I don't recall there being a problem. Want me to try to rip it again? I've noticed on rare occasions, newer versions of MakeMKV have broken some compatibility before. We're talking BR and not UHD right?

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Hmm, I just checked and I did indeed rip it. I don't recall there being a problem. Want me to try to rip it again? I've noticed on rare occasions, newer versions of MakeMKV have broken some compatibility before. We're talking BR and not UHD right?
Yea the regular blu ray. It did say no Java found on my computers but I thought Java was typically just for the menus.

I've been buying the 4k version of movies but haven't bothered with trying to rip any of them as I don't have a 4k theater yet.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Yea the regular blu ray. It did say no Java found on my computers but I thought Java was typically just for the menus.

I've been buying the 4k version of movies but haven't bothered with trying to rip any of them as I don't have a 4k theater yet.

I just ripped the BR that came with the UHD and it completed just fine. I got the complaint about Java too but that didn't have any impact. I'm going to assume you did the typical clean wipe of the disc to make sure there's nothing on it. No visible scratches on the surface? The one thing I've noticed when I do have a problem is that disc will skip during playback in a real BR player. I had that problem on a few TV shows and noticed that behavior. Scratches weren't always obvious either but I got the disc replaced and then it ripped just fine. I'm not sure what else to suggest since you already tried another drive which I only learned recently can actually help when a rip fails. I'm using 1.12.2 64 bit Windows version if that helps as a reference point.

Oct 26, 2017
Netherlands
So what the fuck is up with The Prestige 4K UHD? It's basically been impossible to find at a reasonable price since release as far as I can tell.
It's because Warner made a deal for Disney to release it (they own the US rights), but Disney didn't really have any interest in catalogue releases, so the print run was incredibly small and it went oop at release basically.

If you don't mind getting the UK version, it's still up on Amazon.co.uk. Warner did the international release themselves so it's still easy to find.

woo

Nov 11, 2017
It's because Warner made a deal for Disney to release it (they own the US rights), but Disney didn't really have any interest in catalogue releases, so the print run was incredibly small and it went oop at release basically.

If you don't mind getting the UK version, it's still up on Amazon.co.uk. Warner did the international release themselves so it's still easy to find.

It's also on Zavvi if you don't want to use Amazon for some reason. Zavvi have it in their 2 for £30 offer too.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
I just ripped the BR that came with the UHD and it completed just fine. I got the complaint about Java too but that didn't have any impact. I'm going to assume you did the typical clean wipe of the disc to make sure there's nothing on it. No visible scratches on the surface? The one thing I've noticed when I do have a problem is that disc will skip during playback in a real BR player. I had that problem on a few TV shows and noticed that behavior. Scratches weren't always obvious either but I got the disc replaced and then it ripped just fine. I'm not sure what else to suggest since you already tried another drive which I only learned recently can actually help when a rip fails. I'm using 1.12.2 64 bit Windows version if that helps as a reference point.
Yea I checked the disc, but your right the errors are saying such and such sector is corrupt.

I have one more drive I can try that's probably got an older version of makemkv installed.

ClivePwned

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I bought a Sony UBP-X700 UHD (UK) player a few weeks ago since it's a well reviewed player with Dolby Vision.
I've watched three UHDs (2001, Superman and MI:Fallout) and some random blurays on it, but 2 out of the 3 UHDs freeze at a point in the film (2001 and Fallout) and freeze every time. I have to reboot the player to get the disc out. The same discs play fine (without DolbyVision) in my Xbox One, which I used as my player before, and never had an issue with any movie freezing and being unplayable. The blurays I played on the Sony have played without issue.

Has anyone else had an issue with the Sony players or was I just really unlucky with those 2 discs ? I've left a bunch of other discs playing in the background and none have frozen yet.

I've got a week left to return it but just wondering whether to swap for another DV player or just get a refund (I got it from Argos and this was the only Dolby Vision capable player they had for the price).