• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BdoUK

Oct 27, 2017
Louisville, KY
I bought a Sony UBP-X700 UHD (UK) player a few weeks ago since it's a well reviewed player with Dolby Vision.
I've watched three UHDs (2001, Superman and MI:Fallout) and some random blurays on it, but 2 out of the 3 UHDs freeze at a point in the film (2001 and Fallout) and freeze every time. I have to reboot the player to get the disc out. The same discs play fine (without DolbyVision) in my Xbox One, which I used as my player before, and never had an issue with any movie freezing and being unplayable. The blurays I played on the Sony have played without issue.

Has anyone else had an issue with the Sony players or was I just really unlucky with those 2 discs ? I've left a bunch of other discs playing in the background and none have frozen yet.

I've got a week left to return it but just wondering whether to swap for another DV player or just get a refund (I got it from Argos and this was the only Dolby Vision capable player they had for the price).

The past few Sony players I've had, including the slightly beefier X800 all had hard locking issues from time to time. It was very annoying. The only way I could get the player to respond was by unplugging and plugging back in. It was a real shame too because the Sony players did a great job of playing a lot of different media content, including Dolby Atmos from MKV files.

I'm now using the Panasonic 820 and it has been rock solid playing anything I've thrown at it. The downside is that it isn't quite the all around media player the Sony is.

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017
I bought a Sony UBP-X700 UHD (UK) player a few weeks ago since it's a well reviewed player with Dolby Vision.
I've watched three UHDs (2001, Superman and MI:Fallout) and some random blurays on it, but 2 out of the 3 UHDs freeze at a point in the film (2001 and Fallout) and freeze every time. I have to reboot the player to get the disc out. The same discs play fine (without DolbyVision) in my Xbox One, which I used as my player before, and never had an issue with any movie freezing and being unplayable. The blurays I played on the Sony have played without issue.

Has anyone else had an issue with the Sony players or was I just really unlucky with those 2 discs ? I've left a bunch of other discs playing in the background and none have frozen yet.

I've got a week left to return it but just wondering whether to swap for another DV player or just get a refund (I got it from Argos and this was the only Dolby Vision capable player they had for the price).
I don't have that Sony, but my Phillips 4K player (7502) had a hell of a time on the Stargate sequence for the 2001 4K disc. Straight up crashed the player twice. Unforgiven also gave me fits in the beginning of the movie. Nothing physically looks wrong with the discs, but they're both Warner Bros so I'm thinking it's something to do with them? A few posts I read online said it might be due to some clear residue left on the disc that needs to be cleaned off. It didn't seem to help Unforgiven and I haven't tried it yet on 2001.

ClivePwned

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
The past few Sony players I've had, including the slightly beefier X800 all had hard locking issues from time to time. It was very annoying. The only way I could get the player to respond was by unplugging and plugging back in. It was a real shame too because the Sony players did a great job of playing a lot of different media content, including Dolby Atmos from MKV files.

I'm now using the Panasonic 820 and it has been rock solid playing anything I've thrown at it. The downside is that it isn't quite the all around media player the Sony is.

So if I get a replacement, strong chance it will have the same issue. Kind of sucks the same discs have no problem in an xbox

I don't have that Sony, but my Phillips 4K player (7502) had a hell of a time on the Stargate sequence for the 2001 4K disc. Straight up crashed the player twice. Unforgiven also gave me fits in the beginning of the movie. Nothing physically looks wrong with the discs, but they're both Warner Bros so I'm thinking it's something to do with them? A few posts I read online said it might be due to some clear residue left on the disc that needs to be cleaned off. It didn't seem to help Unforgiven and I haven't tried it yet on 2001.

start of the Stargate sequence (Discovery against stars just before the lightshow) was where the same thing happened on mine. wasn't a hard lock as was able to get past after a bit. will try again.

Mission Impossible Fallout was around the 45 minute mark just before the sequence on the river (which shouldn't spoil anything)

I've played with no issue: Superman, Saving Private Ryan, Thor Ragnorok, Mission Impossible 1. Skipped through a few others (since they usually hang on picture search) like The Incredibles, Justice League. Will try a few more tonight.

I may as well exchange the player for another. If it does the same thing, its certain discs + cheap player. I guess I'd watch those problem discs in the Xbox without DV.

Paganmoon

Oct 26, 2017

the UBP-X700 is notorious for freezes, some people have blamed the discs, but I got tons of freezes with Netflix as well. FWIW after a full reset, it's not frozen once that I recall in the past few months.

OP
OP
KDash

KDash

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
The Little Mermaid 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray review: https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Little-Mermaid-4K-Blu-ray/227169/#Review

Ralph Breaks the Internet 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray review: https://www.avsforum.com/ralph-breaks-internet-ultra-hd-blu-ray-review/

Both are out on February 26th.

tenor.gif

NealMcCauley

Oct 27, 2017
It hasn't even been officially announced yet (hurry up Fox!), but it seems Alien was pushed back to April 23 from the rumored April 2. Pre-ordered BB's steelbook just now.

FuturusX

Oct 28, 2017
the UBP-X700 is notorious for freezes, some people have blamed the discs, but I got tons of freezes with Netflix as well. FWIW after a full reset, it's not frozen once that I recall in the past few months.

I have the same player and have experienced freezes also, recently I had issues with a regular DVD. I'll try a full reset, good idea.

Definitely thinking about dumping it for something better / high end. I hate the lack of Dolby Vision / HDR detection, whereby you have to toggle depending on the type.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Amazon AU has been having some great deals on UHD lately. Got Patriots day for $5, Get Out for $12, Fury for $15 and Orient Express for $10.

Had no idea what Get Out was about and wowee...

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
There are some solid deals on iTunes right now

Got a $20 bundle with Gladiator, Braveheart, Forest Gump, and American Beauty, with the first three in 4K

LoTR is also $20. I wonder if that would be upgraded to 4K versions when they inevitably hit

NealMcCauley

Oct 27, 2017
Black Hawk Down officially announced!

BLACK HAWK DOWN

Debuts on 4K Ultra HD™ May 7

CULVER CITY, Calif. (February 22, 2019) – Josh Hartnett (Pearl Harbor), Ewan McGregor (Star Wars franchise) and Eric Bana (Star Trek) star in BLACK HAWK DOWN, the acclaimed and gripping war epic from Director Ridley Scott, debuting on 4K Ultra HD™ May 7 from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment. The film will also be available digitally in 4K day and date with the physical release on participating platforms. Based on a true story and nominated for four Academy Awards®, winning two,* the film follows the 160 elite U.S. soldiers dropped into Somalia on a mission to capture two top lieutenants of a renegade warlord, but instead find themselves in a desperate battle with a large force of heavily-armed Somalis. The release includes the Theatrical and Extended versions on the 4K Ultra HD disc with both versions newly remastered in 4K from the original camera negative and featuring High Dynamic Range. This new 4K HDR transfer was approved by Ridley Scott. Both versions also include an all-new immersive Dolby Atmos audio mix, along with the original 5.1 audio.

In addition to the Theatrical and Extended versions of the film, BLACK HAWK DOWN includes hours of archival special features making their return, including deleted & alternate scenes, documentaries and much more delving into the creation of this modern classic.

Synopsis:
From acclaimed director Ridley Scott (The Martian) and renowned producer Jerry Bruckheimer (Pearl Harbor) comes the gripping true story about bravery, camaraderie and the complex reality of war.
BLACK HAWK DOWN stars an exceptional cast including Josh Hartnett, Ewan McGregor and Eric Bana. In 1993, an elite group of American Rangers and Delta Force soldiers are sent to Somalia on a critical mission to capture a violent warlord whose corrupt regime has led to the starvation of hundreds of thousands of Somalis. When the mission goes quickly and terribly wrong, the men find themselves outnumbered and literally fighting for their lives.

Bonus Materials Include:

4K ULTRA HD:
  • Both Theatrical and Extended Versions of the Film
  • High Dynamic Range, Dolby Atmos and original 5.1 audio on both versions
BLU-RAY:
  • Theatrical Version of the Film
  • Audio Commentary by Director / Producer Ridley Scott & Producer Jerry Bruckheimer
  • Audio Commentary by Author Mark Bowden & Screenwriter Ken Nolan
  • Audio Commentary by Task Force Ranger Veterans
  • "The Essence of Combat: Making Black Hawk Down" Documentary
  • The History Channel® Presents: "The True Story of Black Hawk Down"
  • PBS Presents: "Frontline: Ambush in Mogadishu"
  • 8 Deleted & Alternate Scenes with Optional Commentary
  • "Designing Mogadishu" Featurette
  • Production Design Archive
  • Storyboards with Optional Commentary
  • Ridleygrams with Optional Commentary
  • Target Building Insertion: Multi-Angle Sequence with Optional Commentary
  • Q&A Forums: BAFTA. Motion Picture Editor's Guild & American Cinematheque
  • Jerry Bruckheimer's BHD Photo Album
  • Title Design Explorations with Optional Commentary
  • "Gortoz A Ran – J'Attends" Music Video performed by Denez Prigent & Lisa Gerrard
  • Photo Galleries
  • Theatrical Poster Concepts
  • Trailer & TV Spots
BLACK HAWK DOWN has a run time of approximately 144 minutes and is rated R for intense, realistic, graphic war violence, and for language.
Academy Award® and Oscar® are the registered trademarks and service markets of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.

attachment.php

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Best Buy ignored my 2 day shipping for Ralph Breaks the Internet 4k Steelbook. They used UPS Surepost instead...

Then UPS ignored my UPS My Choice membership, which automatically upgrades all Surepost packages to Ground. Tracking shows that it got upgraded properly, then downgraded by my local UPS hub.

I'm sure the Post Office will be delivering a smashed steelbook in a week or so.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know what you're talking about, although I'm seeing some folks online saying that this version gave Ariel the wrong tail color.

When they released the Blu ray the first time, they somehow changed the order of a scene. Here's what it should be:

https://youtu.be/SXKlJuO07eM?t=152

and here's what was originally released before it got fixed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Kg57ivgvFE

I'm also now reading how the colors are different so this is actually a completely different BR disc which is surprising.

Oct 25, 2017
When they released the Blu ray the first time, they somehow changed the order of a scene. Here's what it should be:

https://youtu.be/SXKlJuO07eM?t=152

and here's what was originally released before it got fixed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Kg57ivgvFE

I'm also now reading how the colors are different so this is actually a completely different BR disc which is surprising.

Signature Collection releases are always new discs with new special features, usually with most of the Diamond Edition features digital-only. The transfer used is usually the same, though, with minimal corrections.

And yeah, that scene is edited correctly on this disc.

NealMcCauley

Oct 27, 2017
Alien announcement

To celebrate four decades of this incredible and influential classic, 20th Century Fox is releasing the film with an all-new 4K Ultra HD master, available April 23. A limited edition 4K UHD steelbook of Alien 40th Anniversary Edition will also be available exclusively at Best Buy.

The new 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray will contain the 1979 Theatrical Version, as well as the 2003 Director's Cut, with the 2003 audio commentary by Ridley Scott and the Cast & Crew. In addition, the 1999 Audio Commentary by Ridley Scott for the original 1979 Theatrical Version will also be included. This disc will also feature the Final Theatrical Isolated Score in Dolby Digital 5.1, for the 1979 Theatrical Version only, as well as the composer's original Isolated Score, also in Dolby Digital 5.1, and again for the 1979 Theatrical Version Only. Also included are several deleted scenes.

Standard
1-1.jpg

BB Steel
1.jpg

NealMcCauley

Oct 27, 2017
Alien's official press release

In space no one can hear you scream. The terrifying sci-fi adventure, ALIEN, celebrates 40 years with an all-new 4K Ultra HD™ master, available April 23. A limited edition 4K UHD™ steelbook of ALIEN 40th Anniversary Edition will also be available exclusively at Best Buy.

In the film that birthed the wildly successful ALIEN franchise, the crew of the deep space tug Nostromo awaken from stasis during a voyage home to Earth when their ship's computer detects what is believed to be an alien distress signal coming from the desolate nearby moon, LV-426. While investigating, one of the crew, Kane (John Hurt), is attacked by an alien creature that latches to his face and he is rushed back to the Nostromo to receive medical treatment. Ripley (Sigourney Weaver), the ship's warrant officer, advises against Kane's return due to quarantine regulations – but her orders are ignored by Ash (Ian Holm), bringing the Nostromo under threat from a mysterious, extraterrestrial apex predator with violent and lethal survival instincts.

The film was restored in 4K in 2018 by 20th Century Fox at Company 3/Deluxe Entertainment Services Group, supervised by Ridley Scott and Pam Dery, with the 4K scans were done at EFilm.

ALIEN 40th Anniversary Bonus Features:
  • 1979 Theatrical Version
  • 2003 Director's Cut
  • 2003 Audio Commentary by Ridley Scott and the Cast & Crew
  • 1999 Audio Commentary by Ridley Scott (1979 Theatrical Version Only)
  • Final Theatrical Isolated Score – Dolby Digital 5.1 (1979 Theatrical Version Only)
  • Composer's Original Isolated Score – Dolby Digital 5.1 (1979 Theatrical Version Only)
  • Deleted Scenes
ALIEN 40th Anniversary 4K ULTRA HD™ & Blu-ray Specs
Street Date: April 23, 2019
Screen Format: Widescreen 16:9 (2.40:1)
Audio (4K Ultra HD™): English DTS-HD-MA 5.1 / English DTS-HD-MA 4.1 (Theatrical Version Only) /
English Surround DTS-HD-MA2 2.0 / Spanish DD 5.1 / French DTS 5.1
Audio (Blu-ray): English DTS-HD-MA 5.1 / English Dolby Digital 4.1 (Theatrical Version Only) /
English Surround Dolby Digital 2.0 / Spanish DD 5.1 / French DTS 5.1
Subtitles: English / Spanish / French
U.S. Rating: R for sci-fi violence, gore and Language

OP
OP
KDash

KDash

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Target didn't have the exclusive version of The Little Mermaid, and only had one copy of the regular 4K release. They had like three copies of the exclusive version of Ralph Breaks the Internet, though, and I don't think they had a single copy of the regular 4K release.

PLMvr3j.jpg

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
Is there pricing on Alien yet? Best Buy has the preorder up for the steelbook for only $22.99

zetsubou

Oct 25, 2017
United States
Are there some movies that do not transfer across movies anywhere services? I redeemed copies of John wick 1 and 2 and Ghost in the Shell in iTunes and don't see them in Google play, vudu or the MA app

Westonian

Oct 27, 2017
Just read over on Digital Bits that we might, possibly, maybe, hopefully, finally get The Abyss on Blu-ray and maybe even 4K! If Cameron runs through the finished True Lies remaster at the same time we could see both before the end of the year!

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Might wait for sale on The Little Mermaid. Tempted to buy the Harry Potter UHD boxset. JBHIFi has it for $103 today which works out at roughly $12.50 which is pretty good. DTS:X instead of Atmos is kind of disappointing but the reviews all rave about the sound regardless so it's not a big deal. Looks like the first two films are massive upgrades picture quality wise which is no suprise since they look really muddy on BD. Sounds like the rest after that are 2K upscales and don't look quite as good.

Realyst

Oct 27, 2017
Just read over on Digital Bits that we might, possibly, maybe, hopefully, finally get The Abyss on Blu-ray and maybe even 4K! If Cameron runs through the finished True Lies remaster at the same time we could see both before the end of the year!
I was once like you, my sweet summer child. So full of hope and innocence. Sigh.

This will never happen. It just won't. If Cameron didn't even bother to grace us with an anamorphic DVD of True Lies, what makes you think he will go the extra mile by giving us a blu-Ray release, let alone a 4K HDR one?

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tribeca Film Festival announced they have Apocslypse Now: Final Cut For it's 40th anniversary. A 4K remaster with Dolby Atmos object audio, the whole nine yards. No details of what's included in the Final Cut with theatrical vs redux, but I'm sure the UHD will release later this year.

Funny, I was gonna watch the old VC-1 coded blu Ray this weekend...think imma wait for then UHD lol

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
I keep wanting to pick up Little Mermaid 4K, but then part of me knows the odds of me bothering to sit down and rewatch it before having kids are basically zero.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone here seen the Tomb Raider duology in 4K? I can currently get both for €22, which is a good price for 4K films.

Looks like Wal-Mart/Vudu shipped my copy of Spider-verse just now. Should get it by Tuesday. When I did the disc+digital option the delivery estimate was all the way on the 26th.

Take this with a small grain of salt but The Shining 4k may be out in October.

To this day, I still haven't bothered importing the US cut of the film. Though I can import a special release from the UK, but if this is the full film, I'll just import this down the line.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The regular Blu-ray section at my nearest Fry's is down to half of the shelf space that HD-DVD had there at its peak. And those shelves are only about 15% as full as they were with HD-DVD.
Overall home video stock in that store is 2-3% of what it was a decade ago.
On the plus side they were having a major sale on Arrow titles.

Last edited:

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
The regular Blu-ray section at my nearest Fry's is down to half of the shelf space that HD-DVD had there at its peak. And those shelves are only about 15% as full as they were with HD-DVD.
Overall home video stock in that store is 2-3% of what it was a decade ago.
Which area?