• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

NSA

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Apologies as I know this isn't the right thread but for the life of me I can't find the AV/Home theater thread and didn't want to make a new one just for my question.

Anyway.. a relative dropped off some home theater gear and I was wonder what is useful (and not) and how to best make use of it.

I got:

(2) Boston T930 Tower Speakers
(2) Boston Micro 80x rear(?) Speakers
(1) Boston CR2 Center Channel Speaker
(1) JBL PB12 Subwoofer

Also a 5 disk DVD changer (component only) and a Denon AVR-2801 reciever that looks really old.

I currently have an Onkyo "Atmos" Soundbar with Subwoofer, but would like to upgrade to a real soundsystem if possible. The AVR seems like it's useless, likewise for the DVD player. Could I get a new Atmos receiver and save some money by repurposing the speakers? Do they make speakers for just the upfiring portion of the 5.4 or whatever? Or are the speakers not worth bothering with?

Thanks! And point me to the AV thread if you know where it is.

Westonian

Oct 27, 2017
Apologies as I know this isn't the right thread but for the life of me I can't find the AV/Home theater thread and didn't want to make a new one just for my question.

Anyway.. a relative dropped off some home theater gear and I was wonder what is useful (and not) and how to best make use of it.

I got:

(2) Boston T930 Tower Speakers
(2) Boston Micro 80x rear(?) Speakers
(1) Boston CR2 Center Channel Speaker
(1) JBL PB12 Subwoofer

Also a 5 disk DVD changer (component only) and a Denon AVR-2801 reciever that looks really old.

I currently have an Onkyo "Atmos" Soundbar with Subwoofer, but would like to upgrade to a real soundsystem if possible. The AVR seems like it's useless, likewise for the DVD player. Could I get a new Atmos receiver and save some money by repurposing the speakers? Do they make speakers for just the upfiring portion of the 5.4 or whatever? Or are the speakers not worth bothering with?

Thanks! And point me to the AV thread if you know where it is.
You can definitely reuse those speakers and they will should better than your Atmos soundbar. You can get up firing Atmos speakers or height speakers (like SVS Elevate) that will give you the Atmos channels you're looking for.

Whitemex

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I don't know why i didn't notice this but the Best Buy Steelbook is regular Blu Ray and I already opened the wrap.
Will Best buy accept the return so I can get the actual 4k version?

OP
OP
KDash

KDash

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
7W4DRSo.jpg

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Just learned that most PC blu-ray drives support 4K blu-ray discs just fine and the difference with actual UHD supporting drives is just a DRM difference... This would've been nice to know earlier.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Just learned that most PC blu-ray drives support 4K blu-ray discs just fine and the difference with actual UHD supporting drives is just a DRM difference... This would've been nice to know earlier.
Most? Unless something has changed, it's only a few and now they have to be firmware downgraded

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Most? Unless something has changed, it's only a few and now they have to be firmware downgraded
Wouldn't that only apply to BD XL drives?
Yeah I should've added those are the ones mostly here in the market. Also seems if they've been updated that a firmware downgrade seems relatively simple. That's honestly no problem, though if I had known this earlier, I would've replaced my faulty one way earlier, would've been a bit easier.

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
I am dying to get home tonight after work to pop in the Aquaman 4K UHD Blu-Ray! The reviews I've been reading have all been echoing it's a reference disc, not in terms of video quality, but also the Atmos mix. I am vehemently opposed to watching movies in IMAX, so I'm curious to see how those IMAX scenes translate into the home theater environment, as this will be my first IMAX home video release.

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017
So last night I watched Pacific Rim on iTunes and some episodes of Love, Death And Robots on Netflix.. probably two of the best showcases I've seen for OLED and Dolby Vision.

Pacific Rim blew me away, especially the night time kaiju/jaeger fights. Contrast was incredible even streaming.

What are some things you guys have watched recently that had great HDR implementation?

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
So last night I watched Pacific Rim on iTunes and some episodes of Love, Death And Robots on Netflix.. probably two of the best showcases I've seen for OLED and Dolby Vision.

Pacific Rim blew me away, especially the night time kaiju/jaeger fights. Contrast was incredible even streaming.

What are some things you guys have watched recently that had great HDR implementation?
I made this post back last October; I factored in Atmos/DTSX in my ratings, too. Since then, I'd add the following titles, for both their HDR and object-oriented sound implementations.

Aquaman (just watched it last night and it's a reference disc through and through, no doubt.)
Ready Player One
The Greatest Showman

I can't vouch for Blue Planet II, and Planet Earth II is outstanding, but during episodes the film resolution sometimes changes. Of course, due to the source material, but it's not 100% eye love the whole time.

In my opinion, of the discs I've seen, these would be my picks to really showcase 4K UHD and Atmos/DTS:X. I give bonus points to titles in Dolby Vision.
  • Atomic Blonde
    I love this movie in its own right and enjoy every repeat viewing like it was the first. The movies uses color to great effect contrasted against a dreary 1989 Germany, all in Dolby Vision. Its DTS:X surround track is a great showcase that Atmos isn't the only game in town. The sound stage gives space and breadth to the amazing music soundtrack and the action is as ferocious as Lorraine. This movie does come from a 2K DI.
  • Blade Runner
    Seeing Blade Runner this way is damned near the second coming of Christ. The filmic clarity 4K offers so much detail and the futuristic world Deckard lives in is displayed with such an outstanding HDR10 mastering. Nothing is lost in the dark scenes and upper end of the contrast spectrum is marvelously displayed in the city lights, neons, and colorful displays. To say nothing of its Atmos track would be criminal. This is the Atmos track to showcase (though see my next entry). Overhead channels are used to fill space, but also excellently implemented to bring the viewer into the scene.
  • Blade Runner 2049
    Seeing Blade Runner 2049 this way is damned near the second coming of Christ. The filmic clarity 4K offers so much detail and the futuristic world K lives in is displayed with such an outstanding HDR10 mastering. Nothing is lost in the dark scenes and upper end of the contrast spectrum is marvelously displayed in the city lights, neons, and colorful displays. To say nothing of its Atmos track would be criminal. This is the Atmos track to showcase. Overhead channels are used to fill space, but also excellently implemented to bring the viewer into the scene. The soundtrack is integral to this movie (also see: Atomic Blonde) and I simply can't imagine hearing it any other way. Not to overuse the faith-based metaphors, but each of my repeat viewings (oh, and there will be more) are practically a religious experience for me.
  • The Fifth Element
    A true showcase of 4K bringing film to our screens without compromise. The HDR10 mastering really brings forth the brighter elements of the film (Leeloo's hair, the Opera scene, etc.). It's not an overly dark film, but details are never lost in the lower end of the spectrum, either. The Atmos track is superb. The action scenes are great showcases, as debris, bullets, and flying cars surround the viewer in all axes and sound graciously fills the room. And, of course, the Opera scene is just breathtaking rendered in Dolby Atmos.
  • IT
    Another 2K DI, but the Dolby Vision mastering of the film, whether it's the color seemingly drawn from Pennywise's home, the dark sewers, or the bright shades of Penneywise's makeup, they are all rendered clearly. Yet this movie does not exist on my list for picture quality, as there are much better uses of HDR elsewhere, but, rather, for the Dolby Atmos mix. Literally from the moment the movie opens the additional overhead channels are used excellently and there are many more scenes throughout the film that exhibits the same philosophy, using the entirety of the space to a nearly fun house effect.
  • The Matrix
    Anyone that saw The Matrix when it first came out will likely utter a similar sentiment, but I walked out of the theater changed. So, what other movie to showcase the great technological changes this new format brings? Coming from a true 4K scan of the film and mastered in HDR by the Director of Photography, Bill Pope, I don't know how I've watched this movie throughout the years in any other format. The Dolby Vision contrast is outstanding, with gracefully reproduced tones, but it is the darker elements of The Matrix that are the true showcase. The blacks are black and all the darker scenes have an outstanding depth to them, allowing nothing to be lost in the various contrasts of the scenes. The Dolby Atmos track is not of the funhouse variety that It is, but its each element in the scene that is heard distinctly, clearly, and with oomph. Bullets, cracking wood or concrete, a haunting quiet as the Nebuchadnezzar is powered down, or a minigun all have never been heard like this. The Lobby scene was always a great surround sound showcase and it carries that title with it into Dolby Atmos.
  • Pacific Rim
    I got too passionate about this post and it's time for bed, so I'm gonna cop out on these last two. A beautiful picture with excellent use of HDR10 and a Dolby Atmos soundtrack that outstanding, both in its channel usage, but also in its range. High squeals, thunderous roars, and everything in between highlights what Atmos can do.
  • Saving Private Ryan
    Dolby Vision, war scenes rendered in exquisite detail and channel usage in Atmos, and a gorgeous reproduction of film transferred to 4K.

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017
I made this post back last October; I factored in Atmos/DTSX in my ratings, too. Since then, I'd add the following titles, for both their HDR and object-oriented sound implementations.

Aquaman (just watched it last night and it's a reference disc through and through, no doubt.)
Ready Player One
The Greatest Showman
Great list. I have never seen The Fifth Element but I bought it on an iTunes sale so I'm excited to check it out.

I need to scope out my Family Video and see if they're consistently getting new releases on 4K.

The One X still doesn't have DV support for discs, does it?

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
The One X still doesn't have DV support for discs, does it?
Correct, the Xbox One only does Dolby Vision for streaming. I don't know what the roadblock is that is keeping Microsoft from implementing it, but that would be a nice upgrade.

Just saw that the 4K 40th anniversary release of Alien is is up for preorder a Amazon for $14.96.
That's the cheapest I've seen it! I'm a sucker for Best Buy's steelbooks, else I'd jump on that.

My biggest gripe about the Alien release, though, is there's no Atmos or DTS:X mix.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Everest is a low key contender for one of the best all round discs. The Atmos in particular is insane, ant the colours of the tents really pop during the day scenes.

Scently

Oct 27, 2017
I think you guys should check out Triple Frontier on Netflix. Amazing looking movie. The movie is really sharp, clean and vibrant. The HDR implementation is lovely.

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
There's a spreadsheet floating around the internet that lists what a movie's included digital code is. I have a tendency to find it, then completely lose its location again for an extended period of time. Can anyone help me locate it again?

I always get so paranoid redeeming movie codes now; I just can't get it out of my head that Movies Anywhere would always give the inferior version of a movie.

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017
There's a spreadsheet floating around the internet that lists what a movie's included digital code is. I have a tendency to find it, then completely lose its location again for an extended period of time. Can anyone help me locate it again?

I always get so paranoid redeeming movie codes now; I just can't get it out of my head that Movies Anywhere would always give the inferior version of a movie.
Is it this one perhaps? https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1gIDEYKfpuPcnOBHrvKs80WAjYv0h7htdu0V7KUHMggw/edit#gid=0

Found it on this thread on the blu-ray.com forums: https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=236721

fick

Alt-Account
Banned
Nov 24, 2018
Don't know if this product exists...but are there any BR players that can stream over network to other TVs, or would I have to buy a fancy receiver?

If not, what is the best cheap player? Is a XB1s on sale a good option?

rashbeep

Oct 27, 2017

mortal engines is one of the best looking uhd's i've ever seen. the movie itself is... not memorable

Deleted member 18742

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seems like a good thread to ask this question instead of making a new one.

So I want to get some Marvel movies through digital codes since its super cheap. But to clarify, if I redeem the codes, the movies I am acquiring aren't actually for 4K but rather HD?

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Managed to snag a blu-ray drive that can rip 4k discs.Very happy with the purchase.

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
Ayy, received my first batch of 4K titles. Will hopefully get around watching them soon.

IMG_20190329_191410_2.jpg
I can't speak for any of the titles in the Christopher Nolan collection, but The Matrix, Blade Runner, and Max Max: Fury Road are all outstanding Atmos movies. If you have an Atmos setup be prepared for a wild ride!

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Which one? Did you have to downgrade it?
I purchased a second hand ASUS BW-16D1HT, produced in 2016 before they apparently fixed the 'security flaw' regarding the 4k content. It's on firmware 3.0.0, which I can still upgrade to 3.0.1 or 3.0.2, but I'm not taking that risk. Apparently the newer ones of this model can still read them after a firmware downgrade.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
I purchased a second hand ASUS BW-16D1HT, produced in 2016 before they apparently fixed the 'security flaw' regarding the 4k content. It's on firmware 3.0.0, which I can still upgrade to 3.0.1 or 3.0.2, but I'm not taking that risk. Apparently the newer ones of this model can still read them after a firmware downgrade.

Ah, I have that one. I was hoping a new one was found and didn't have to be downgraded. I was hoping to pick up a backup.

man, aint that shit like 80gbs each? Its been hard enough ripping blus and compressing them to a quality im satisfied with.

A lot of the movies I've looked at are closer to 50 to 60GB. Some certainly do go 80 but a lot are less. Why bother compressing though? You're wasting some of the advantage of having physical discs. With an 8TB drive, you can fit over 300 Blurays on it and a 10TB drive will be close to 400. At the cost of a single drive, you're spending like a 35 to 40 cent premium per movie to store it. That's not much per movie, so why bother wasting the time to compress them and lose visual quality in the process?

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
man, aint that shit like 80gbs each? Its been hard enough ripping blus and compressing them to a quality im satisfied with.
Nah, most films still only use 50GB discs actually, there's a bunch that use 66GB and a handful of titles actually using 100GB discs, let alone the full 100GB of storage space actually available. And as said above, with a bunch of TB, you can store a lot of content easily. I'll be looking into a 5TB drive myself to backup my discs.

Ah, I have that one. I was hoping a new one was found and didn't have to be downgraded. I was hoping to pick up a backup.
Sorry man for bringing your hopes up in this case. I'll probably update the firmware to 3.0.1 and stop there, don't want to risk accidentally updating to the wrong 3.0.2 update and losing the 4k access.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If it's the same ''''''''''''''''''''remaster'''''''''''''''''''' that they used previously, I'll just stick to my VHS copy. Good lord what a hot mess that one was.

Also, I ripped my Blade Runner 4k copy, even without the HDR, that quality:

giphy.gif

BdoUK

Oct 27, 2017
Louisville, KY
Anyone picked up Bumblebee on 4K UHD? Last night while watching I noticed that the audio and video was slightly out of sync on the 4K disc (Dolby Atmos track). The included BD and streaming versions do not appear to be impacted.

Can someone else check their copy (Chapter 2 will show it as Cena begins to talk)?

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone picked up Bumblebee on 4K UHD? Last night while watching I noticed that the audio and video was slightly out of sync on the 4K disc (Dolby Atmos track). The included BD and streaming versions do not appear to be impacted.

Can someone else check their copy (Chapter 2 will show it as Cena begins to talk)?
I'm picking up my copy tonight. I may not be able to watch it until tomorrow night, but if no one else has chimes in by then I'll be sure to relay what I find.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like a new steelbook is coming out on June 11th for the 35th anniversary of Ghostbusters with new bonus content.

ALL-NEW & RARE ARCHIVAL SPECIAL FEATURES:

GHOSTBUSTERS
  • Fan Commentary featuring Troy Benjamin and Chris Stewart (Interdimensional Crossrip podcast), Ashley Victoria Robinson (Geek History Lesson podcast) and Sean Bishop (Ghostbusters prop replica expert), moderated by Ghost Corps' Eric Reich
    • 6 Rare & Newly Unearthed Deleted Scenes, including the long-requested Fort Detmerring scenes!
    • Also includes Raw Takes for the Central Park Bums sequence
  • 1984 ShoWest Exhibitor Reel, featuring Bill Murray and Dan Aykroyd pitching an early reel of footage to theatrical exhibitors!
  • Full Ghostbusters TV Commercial from the film
  • Ghostbusters TV Commercial Outtakes
  • "A Moment With the Stars" – Original EPK Featurette
  • Original Domestic Teaser Trailer
  • Original Stereo Audio for the Feature (Blu-ray only)
GHOSTBUSTERS II
  • Commentary featuring Director Ivan Reitman, Star/Co-Writer Dan Aykroyd and Executive Producer Joe Medjuck
  • "The Oprah Winfrey Show: Cast of Ghostbusters II" – June 1989
  • Full Ghostbusters II Theatrical EPK
  • Rare Unfinished Teaser Trailer – featuring the full commercial from the film!
  • Original Stereo Audio for the Feature (Blu-ray only)
THE REAL GHOSTBUSTERS
  • "The Real Ghostbusters - Pitch Concept Pilot" - A Fan Restoration by Robert Barbieri
ALSO INCLUDES:

GHOSTBUSTERS
  • Commentary featuring Ivan Reitman, Harold Ramis and Joe Medjuck
  • Slimer Mode Picture-in-Picture Track
  • "Tricks and Trivia" Text Commentary
  • 10 Deleted Scenes
  • Who You Gonna Call: A Ghostbusters Retrospective
  • 1984 Featurette
  • SFX Featurette
  • Cast and Crew Featurette
  • Ecto-1: Resurrecting the Classic Car
  • Multi-Angle Explorations
  • Storyboard Comparison
  • Alternate TV Version Takes
  • "Ghostbusters" Music Video by Ray Parker, Jr.
  • Photo Galleries
  • Trailers
    • International Teaser Trailer
    • Domestic Theatrical Trailer
    • 30th Anniversary Theatrical Trailer
GHOSTBUSTERS II
  • 7 Deleted Scenes
  • Time Is But A Window: Ghostbusters II and Beyond
  • "On Our Own" Music Video by Bobby Brown
  • Photo Galleries
  • Trailers
    • Domestic Teaser Trailer
    • Domestic Theatrical Trailer
    • International Theatrical Trailer
10564_tn.jpg

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

How bad is it? Are there people saying they don't have the issue, or does it seem like every copy is fucked?

I picked it up but my wife hasn't been free enough for us to watch it yet.

BdoUK

Oct 27, 2017
Louisville, KY
How bad is it? Are there people saying they don't have the issue, or does it seem like every copy is fucked?

I picked it up but my wife hasn't been free enough for us to watch it yet.

Yes some owners at Blu-ray.com are indicating they aren't seeing the sync issue. I'd say it's about a 50/50 split based on those currently active in the thread.

For me the sync issue was immediately noticeable in Chapter 2 and was present throughout the whole film. That sort of thing distracts me but others may not find it that bad. I should also note I've tried the same UHD disc on three different players (Panasonic 820, Sony X800 and the Xbox One X) and all exhibit the sync issue.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Yes some owners at Blu-ray.com are indicating they aren't seeing the sync issue. I'd say it's about a 50/50 split based on those currently active in the thread.

For me the sync issue was immediately noticeable in Chapter 2 and was present throughout the whole film. That sort of thing distracts me but others may not find it that bad. I should also note I've tried the same UHD disc on three different players (Panasonic 820, Sony X800 and the Xbox One X) and all exhibit the sync issue.

Hopefully I'll be lucky enough to avoid it. Does your receiver have an audio sync setting? Kind of a pain to have to fuck with it for a single movie, but it'd be something.

BdoUK

Oct 27, 2017
Louisville, KY
Hopefully I'll be lucky enough to avoid it. Does your receiver have an audio sync setting? Kind of a pain to have to fuck with it for a single movie, but it'd be something.

Yeah it does but honestly I'm not going to change it for one movie (it's set to auto sync at the moment). Hopefully I'll get some traction with Paramount next week. I've also contacted the reviewer at Blu-ray.com to see if he can take another look at his disc and possibly update his review if he notices the issue.