• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 26, 2017
Looks like a new steelbook is coming out on June 11th for the 35th anniversary of Ghostbusters with new bonus content.

ALL-NEW & RARE ARCHIVAL SPECIAL FEATURES:

GHOSTBUSTERS
  • Fan Commentary featuring Troy Benjamin and Chris Stewart (Interdimensional Crossrip podcast), Ashley Victoria Robinson (Geek History Lesson podcast) and Sean Bishop (Ghostbusters prop replica expert), moderated by Ghost Corps' Eric Reich
    • 6 Rare & Newly Unearthed Deleted Scenes, including the long-requested Fort Detmerring scenes!
    • Also includes Raw Takes for the Central Park Bums sequence
  • 1984 ShoWest Exhibitor Reel, featuring Bill Murray and Dan Aykroyd pitching an early reel of footage to theatrical exhibitors!
  • Full Ghostbusters TV Commercial from the film
  • Ghostbusters TV Commercial Outtakes
  • "A Moment With the Stars" – Original EPK Featurette
  • Original Domestic Teaser Trailer
  • Original Stereo Audio for the Feature (Blu-ray only)
GHOSTBUSTERS II
  • Commentary featuring Director Ivan Reitman, Star/Co-Writer Dan Aykroyd and Executive Producer Joe Medjuck
  • "The Oprah Winfrey Show: Cast of Ghostbusters II" – June 1989
  • Full Ghostbusters II Theatrical EPK
  • Rare Unfinished Teaser Trailer – featuring the full commercial from the film!
  • Original Stereo Audio for the Feature (Blu-ray only)
THE REAL GHOSTBUSTERS
  • "The Real Ghostbusters - Pitch Concept Pilot" - A Fan Restoration by Robert Barbieri
ALSO INCLUDES:

GHOSTBUSTERS
  • Commentary featuring Ivan Reitman, Harold Ramis and Joe Medjuck
  • Slimer Mode Picture-in-Picture Track
  • "Tricks and Trivia" Text Commentary
  • 10 Deleted Scenes
  • Who You Gonna Call: A Ghostbusters Retrospective
  • 1984 Featurette
  • SFX Featurette
  • Cast and Crew Featurette
  • Ecto-1: Resurrecting the Classic Car
  • Multi-Angle Explorations
  • Storyboard Comparison
  • Alternate TV Version Takes
  • "Ghostbusters" Music Video by Ray Parker, Jr.
  • Photo Galleries
  • Trailers
    • International Teaser Trailer
    • Domestic Theatrical Trailer
    • 30th Anniversary Theatrical Trailer
GHOSTBUSTERS II
  • 7 Deleted Scenes
  • Time Is But A Window: Ghostbusters II and Beyond
  • "On Our Own" Music Video by Bobby Brown
  • Photo Galleries
  • Trailers
    • Domestic Teaser Trailer
    • Domestic Theatrical Trailer
    • International Theatrical Trailer
10564_tn.jpg

So freaking stoked for this. Been wanting this on 4K for awhile but kept forgetting to buy what's out already. This is good enough to keep me waiting until June

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Oh goddamnit. I was waiting to pre-order Winter Soldier and Civil War steelbooks this week due to some gift cards coming in. But of course the pre-orders are now sold out at Best Buy.

What are the odds of getting these at a store on release day now?

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah it does but honestly I'm not going to change it for one movie (it's set to auto sync at the moment). Hopefully I'll get some traction with Paramount next week. I've also contacted the reviewer at Blu-ray.com to see if he can take another look at his disc and possibly update his review if he notices the issue.

Finally got around to watching my copy last night. No issues at all, luckily.

Man, the Transformers look insane in this movie. The stuff on Cybertron has to be the best looking CGI I have ever seen in a movie. Movie itself was definitely the best Transformers movie. Nothing amazing, but a good simple story.

gsrjedi

Oct 26, 2017
Oh goddamnit. I was waiting to pre-order Winter Soldier and Civil War steelbooks this week due to some gift cards coming in. But of course the pre-orders are now sold out at Best Buy.

What are the odds of getting these at a store on release day now?

Probably pretty good. First Avenger was available pretty easily here.

Also, I've been lucky with BB steelbooks by ordering them on Monday night for store pickup. I think by then the stores know their stock and they make them available again.

NealMcCauley

Oct 27, 2017
Got a "review your pre-order info" email from Best Buy for my Alien steelbook since I apparently ordered it "a long time ago." Never gotten one before. Hoping it arrives early even though I'm out of town this weekend for Easter. Also ordered a regular copy for my parents as a contingency last week.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Got a "review your pre-order info" email from Best Buy for my Alien steelbook since I apparently ordered it "a long time ago." Never gotten one before. Hoping it arrives early even though I'm out of town this weekend for Easter. Also ordered a regular copy for my parents as a contingency last week.

I got that too and then a couple hours later a shipping notice. I'm surprised it shipped this early.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Recently got the Avatar The Last Airbender blu-ray boxset. Even if it's just an upscale, the upgrade compared to the DVDs is absolutely amazing! The original DVDs were so terrible, that any upgrade would've been welcome, but the blu-rays are absolutely terrific for what they are.

Deleted member 22585

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
Finally had time to watch a couple movies:

Tomb Raider
Nearly native 4k resolution. This movie is very close to reference material. Incredible details in some scenes and great colors. Looks rather impressive I must say. But there are multiple very bad CGI scenes, those drag it a bit down from a visual standpoint. Still, I was surprised how good it looks. The movie itself was fine, not special but watchable. Some stupid decisions being made by Lara. Still, I enjoyed it.

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies
2k master but rather good image quality and the HDR really adds to the overall picture. liked the movie a lot, good cheesy fun. I had to buy it from the US because the 4k isn't available here in Europe.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
I got a good laugh out of this lmao

Well now I'm wondering if someone noticed it was smashed because it was scheduled for delivery today and just never happened.

Edit: Good grief.. I have UPS My Choice set to automatically upgrade UPS Surepost to UPS Ground. Well they didn't do it.. and it's been handed off to the USPS for further smashing.

If you check back on the website Tuesday morning of release (before the store opens) it should allow an ISP order to be placed. This is what I typically do if I forget to preorder and it's never let me down.

I'll be testing this Tuesday. I snoozed on the Captain America steelbooks.

Last edited:

Dave_6

Oct 25, 2017
The Winter Soldier and Civil War 4Ks arrived today; quite excited to watch them both tonight. WS is still possibly my favorite MCU film.

Deleted member 22585

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
Watched the Sabans Power Rangers UHD yesterday.
You can immediately see that it's a native 4k disc. Very good details and sharp image. Also deep blacks and great colors, this is a really good movie from a technical and visual point of view.
The movie itself is very predictable and the action was kinda lame tbh.
But everything outside of the combat scenes was actually pretty good! The chemistry between the group and the personal stories were engaging. Didn't expect that from a freaking Powers Rangers movie.
Overall a very watchable cheesy movie, especially in 4k.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
I bought an extra Alien steelbook when I picked up Captain America x2 so naturally they didn't smash the one that arrived in the mail.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Karate Kid really is a wonderful transfer. I feel like UHD is really starting to hit its stride especially with film scanned 4K titles. Alien is on deck next.
Old titles impress me the most honestly, Karate Kid, Saving Private Ryan, Schindler List even Pet Sematary and Die Hard looked great on UHD. I just wish the prices were lower. Just above the "impulse buy" territory for me. :/ $20 and under for titles would be perfect...

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Bought the Planet of the Apes 4K trilogy off Amazon. The trilogy bundle was $25 so I caved. I heard they were great films but have never seen them.

Only watched the first movie(Rise) so far and quite enjoyed it. Though it's best audio track is DTS 5.1 only(no Atmos) but it looked like a solid transfer. Much of the film is quiet and not exactly filled with rich visuals to highlight any HDR or a wide soundscape, at least until the final sequence which looked and sounded great. Though any closeup on the Apes or especially Serkis as Caesar in mocap, particularly his facial expressions during a tense muted standoff looked brilliant.

Looking forward to watching the next two films. I always heard good things and so far I am quite pleased.

Oh and was also able to finally get an order in for the Steelbooks of Cap 2 and 3 that just released. Decided to have BB ship them, so praying for a safe undamaged arrival.

Lotto

Oct 28, 2017
Earth
Watched Alien in 4K last night on my LG OLED and it was glorious, the inside of the derelict was seriously impressive.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Watching Alien right now and it's definitely one of the most impressive transfers I've seen so far. The blacks and contrast levels have a taken a huge boost compared to previous releases. Watching on LG B7A

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Unsure if I should get it now or just wait for a complete collection. I need that Aliens disc!

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
Were the plans only to do the first Alien in 4k? I need to hold on to my regular Blu-Ray Anthology for the rest of the movies (well, only really care about Aliens)?

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
My Captain America 2/3 Steelbooks are waiting for me at home.

I expect the cases to have not survived the shipping...

Deleted member 2085

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hi everyone!
I recently got a 4K UHD TV (Vizio V505-G9 to be exact) and I was wondering what kind of 4K blu-ray player would be great to purchase. I don't really mind price so money is not much of an object. And ever since I sampled a sound bar that showcased Dolby Atmos, I was floored. But since my TV does not support Dolby Atmos, I figured I would have to get a sound bar and physical content that supported that audio codec (format?) as well as a blu-ray player.
Of course, I could always use Vudu to stream movies and shows but my parents like their content in Spanish since their English isn't very good. And I'm currently using Plex (which is free but it's getting increasingly frustrating to use). Even so, I'm leaning towards using physical media like 4K blu-rays.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

ɣGammaɣ

Oct 26, 2017
the middle of the woods
I bought that SPIDER-MAN: Into the SPIDER-VERSE UHD.

How good is it? I intend to give it a watch this weekend.

Watched it yesterday, visually it was a great experience. Sound was true hd audio spectacle. Loved it.

psychbat have the panasonic ub820/824, best player on the market for the money and don't know if your TV is Dolby Vision capable, if not HDR optimizer is more useful to you. Just one thing dont plan on using Netflix with the player, has a Dolby Vision bug. Everything is Dolby Vision even SDR when activated in the player menu. TV can only HDR, App is fine. Or you deactivate Dolby Vision, Netflix uses HDR and SDR as it should, and you let the HDR optimizer work his magic and change it when playing a disc with Dolby Vision - still have to test D.V vs HDR + optimizer.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Hi everyone!
I recently got a 4K UHD TV (Vizio V505-G9 to be exact) and I was wondering what kind of 4K blu-ray player would be great to purchase. I don't really mind price so money is not much of an object. And ever since I sampled a sound bar that showcased Dolby Atmos, I was floored. But since my TV does not support Dolby Atmos, I figured I would have to get a sound bar and physical content that supported that audio codec (format?) as well as a blu-ray player.
Of course, I could always use Vudu to stream movies and shows but my parents like their content in Spanish since their English isn't very good. And I'm currently using Plex (which is free but it's getting increasingly frustrating to use). Even so, I'm leaning towards using physical media like 4K blu-rays.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Most physical BR players support Dolby Atmos, the biggest differences usually differ in video codec support. Some support Dolby Vision, others do not.

The Sony line is considered quite good. The X700 player is cheap but is notable for supporting everything so it's quite popular. Includes lots of streaming apps too and a media server I think so any media on a USB stick or other means can be played. I think it suffers by having a cheap build quality and occasionally it freezes. The X800M2(waiting on this one myself) and ES1100(top of the line) I think are arriving this summer. Both should have be similar to the X700 in support options but are more $$ and should feel more premium.

I hear the Panasonic players are also very good, but I know less about them.

You can also look at the Xbox One X or S. Notably everything you play on it is capable of Atmos, including games(though it's virtual so don't expect the quality to be as great as real Atmos like on BR discs or streaming). It doesn't support Dolby Vision HDR except on Netflix, so if your TV supports that, you'll only get HDR10 from discs. Very few discs support DV anyway though. Still, it's a very popular option for a player.

Keep in mind if you subscribe to Netflix, you get lots of content with Atmos support too. No need to get a player if you have soundbar or audio system capable of Atmos. It's not a codec exclusive to BR discs.

Deleted member 2834

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I watched Ready Player One and Three Billboards in the last couple of days and both were OK. Any suggestions for recently released UHDs that look good? I'd help if the movie wasn't shit too.

By the way, how is Blue Planet II? I loved Planet Earth II.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The scenes on Cybertron in Bumblebee are without a doubt the most amazing CGI I have ever seen. Looks absolutely nuts on the UHD release. Unfortunately that is like three minutes of screen time.

The rest of the movie is enjoyable, though.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Watched the first Avengers 4K disc last night. It looked quite good and the visual transfer is great, but the audio was real weak. Like way too soft at default levels and the soundstage felt tinny. I've heard this is an issue with Disney transfers, but yikes. Felt like there was barely any wide sound at all, the music was jacked way up and all the effects far too low. I'd have to turn up the audio wayyyyy up just to feel like my speakers were on so I can hear surround stuff, but this meant the score was annoyingly loud and still muffled everything. Audio mix is bad and its such a goddamn shame. But again, at least the video looked real good.

I watched Ready Player One and Three Billboards in the last couple of days and both were OK. Any suggestions for recently released UHDs that look good? I'd help if the movie wasn't shit too.

Both Blade Runner films are like reference quality in both visuals and audio(Atmos) transfers. A lot of the discs I've watched haven't come as close I've felt.

John Wick 1+2 looks great as well.
Planet of the Apes Trilogy is solid too, but the audio doesn't support Atmos on the first two films(maybe third which I have yet to watch). Still, they look and sound good all the same. Also good films.

Oh and Spider-Verse and Aquaman are supposedly astounding transfers, but I've yet to watch either in 4K myself.

sora bora

Oct 27, 2017
Most physical BR players support Dolby Atmos, the biggest differences usually differ in video codec support. Some support Dolby Vision, others do not.

[snip]

Keep in mind if you subscribe to Netflix, you get lots of content with Atmos support too. No need to get a player if you have soundbar or audio system capable of Atmos. It's not a codec exclusive to BR discs.

Is there a benefit to using bitstream/atmos over uncompressed audio when you have a soundbar or traditional 5.1 + AVR setup? For example, the X1X allows you to choose either bitstream/atmos or uncompressed audio (2.0/5.1/7.1). I have a 5.1 setup + Atmos-enabled Yamaha AVR: which selection would you suggest?

Thank you!

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Well now I'm wondering if someone noticed it was smashed because it was scheduled for delivery today and just never happened.

Edit: Good grief.. I have UPS My Choice set to automatically upgrade UPS Surepost to UPS Ground. Well they didn't do it.. and it's been handed off to the USPS for further smashing.

UnluckyBelatedBaleenwhale-small.gif

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Info about Apocalypse Now 4K. All three cuts(theaterical, redux, final cut) are gonna be remastered, looks like

"
SANTA MONICA, CA (April 28, 2019) – Celebrate the 40th Anniversary of Francis Ford Coppola's visionary Vietnam War epic when the newly restored Apocalypse Now Final Cut arrives on 4K Ultra HD™ Combo Pack (4K disc, plus three Blu-ray discs and Digital copy) and on Digital 4K Ultra HD for the first time ever August 27 from Lionsgate. A special NAGRA myCinema theatrical release of Apocalypse Now Final Cut can be experienced on the giant screen in select theaters nationwide on August 15.

Restored from the original negative for the first time ever, Apocalypse Now Final Cut is Coppola's most realized version of the film, which was nominated for eight Academy Awards®, won three Golden Globes® (Best Original Score, Best Director, and Best Supporting Actor – Motion Picture, 1980), and is one of AFI's top 100 films. Starring Academy Award® winner Marlon Brando (1972, Best Actor, The Godfather), Academy Award® winner Robert Duvall (1983, Best Actor, Tender Mercies), Golden Globe® winner Martin Sheen (2001, Best Actor – TV Series, "The West Wing"), Academy Award® nominee Dennis Hopper (1986, Best Supporting Actor, Hoosiers), Academy Award® nominee Laurence Fishburne (1993, Best Actor, What's Love Got to Do with It), and Academy Award® nominee Harrison Ford (1985, Best Actor, Witness), experience Coppola's spectacular cinematic masterpiece the way it was intended.

Francis Ford Coppola's stunning vision of "The Heart of Darkness" in all of us remains a classic and compelling Vietnam War epic. Martin Sheen stars as Army Captain Willard, a troubled man sent on a dangerous and mesmerizing odyssey into Cambodia to assassinate a renegade American colonel named Kurtz (Marlon Brando), who has succumbed to the horrors of war and barricaded himself in a remote outpost.

The Apocalypse Now Final Cut restoration will be brought to life with Dolby*Vision® HDR, bringing entertainment to life through ultra-vivid picture quality. When compared to a standard picture, Dolby Vision can deliver spectacular colors never before seen on a screen, highlights that are up to 40 times brighter, and blacks that are 10 times darker. The 4K Combo Pack and Digital 4K release also feature Dolby Atmos® audio mixed specifically for the home, to place and move audio anywhere in the room, including overhead. In addition, the film has been enhanced with Meyer Sound Laboratories' newly developed Sensual Sound™, a technology engineered to output audio below the limits of human hearing. All of these technologies work together to present Coppola's true vision of the film, one that delivers deep, visceral visual and auditory impact. Coppola believes Apocalypse Now Final Cut "looks better than it has ever looked, and sounds better than it has ever sounded," and he is "thrilled beyond measure to present the best version of the film to the world."

In addition to the restoration, this 4-disc Apocalypse Now Final Cut anniversary set also includes the film's Theatrical Cut and Extended Cut (Redux), as well as the acclaimed Hearts of Darkness documentary. Loaded with hours of in-depth special features, the set will also feature tonight's fascinating Tribeca Film Festival Q&A with Coppola and the prolific Steven Soderbergh (Sex, Lies, and Videotape), which has not been seen or heard outside of the festival until now, and newly discovered behind-the-scenes footage. The Apocalypse Now Final Cut 4K Ultra HD Combo Pack features new, collectable Mondo artwork and will be available for the suggested retail price of $34.99.

4K UHD SPECIAL FEATURES
⦁ Audio Commentary by Director Francis Ford Coppola

BLU-RAY SPECIAL FEATURES
⦁ Disc One
⦁ Disc Two
⦁ An Interview with John Milius
⦁ A Conversation with Martin Sheen and Francis Ford Coppola
⦁ "Fred Roos: Casting Apocalypse" Featurette
⦁ The Mercury Theatre on the Air: Heart of Darkness – November 6, 1938
⦁ "The Hollow Men" Featurette
⦁ Monkey Sampan "Lost Scene"
⦁ Additional Scenes
⦁ "Destruction of the Kurtz Compound" End Credits (with Non-Optional Audio Commentary by Francis Ford Coppola)
⦁ "The Birth of 5.1 Sound" Featurette
⦁ "Ghost Helicopter Flyover" Sound Effects Demonstration
⦁ "The Synthesizer Soundtrack" Article by Bob Moog
⦁ "A Million Feet of Film: The Editing of Apocalypse Now" Featurette
⦁ "Heard Any Good Movies Lately? The Sound Design of Apocalypse Now" Featurette
⦁ "The Final Mix" Featurette
⦁ "2001 Cannes Film Festival: Francis Ford Coppola" Featurette
⦁ "PBR Streetgang" Featurette
⦁ "The Color Palette of Apocalypse Now" Featurette
⦁ Disc Credits
⦁ Disc Three
⦁ Hearts of Darkness: A Filmmaker's Apocalypse (with Optional Audio Commentary by Francis and Eleanor Coppola)
⦁ NEW: Tribeca Film Festival Q&A with Francis Ford Coppola and Steven Soderbergh
⦁ NEW: Never-Before-Seen B-Roll Footage
⦁ John Milius Script Excerpt with Francis Coppola Notes (Still Gallery)
⦁ Storyboard Collection
⦁ Photo Archive
⦁ Unit Photography
⦁ Mary Ellen Mark Photography
⦁ Marketing Archive
⦁ 1979 Teaser Trailer
⦁ 1979 Theatrical Trailer
⦁ 1979 Radio Spots
⦁ 1979 Theatrical Program
⦁ Lobby Card and Press Kit Photos
⦁ Poster Gallery
⦁ Apocalypse Now Redux Trailer

DIGITAL SPECIAL FEATURES

APOCALYPSE NOW FINAL CUT PROGRAM INFORMATION
Year of Production: 1978
Title Copyright: Apocalypse Now Final Cut © 2019 Zoetrope Corp. Package Design and Summary © 2019 Lions Gate Entertainment Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Type: Theatrical Release
Rating: R
Genre: War, Action, Drama
Closed-Captioned: N/A
4K Subtitles: English, Spanish, French, English SDH
BD Subtitles: English, Spanish, French, English SDH
Feature Run Time: 183 Minutes
4K Ultra HD™ Format: Dolby Vision, 2160p Ultra High Definition, 16x9 (2.35:1)
BD Format: 1080p High Definition, 16x9 (2.35:1) Presentation
4K Audio: English Dolby Atmos
BD Audio: English 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio™

APOCALYPSE NOW THEATRICAL CUT PROGRAM INFORMATION
Year of Production: 1978
Title Copyright: Apocalypse Now © 1979 Omni Zoetrope. Package Design and Summary © 2019 Lions Gate Entertainment Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Rating: R
Feature Run Time: 153 Minutes
BD Audio: English 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio™

APOCALYPSE NOW REDUX EXTENDED CUT PROGRAM INFORMATION
Year of Production: 2001
Title Copyright: Apocalypse Now © 2000 Zoetrope Corporation. Package Design and Summary © 2019 Lions Gate Entertainment Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Rating: R for disturbing violent images, language, sexual content and some drug use.
Feature Run Time: 202 Minutes
BD Audio: English 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio™"