• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Kind of a bummer at how both the Best Buy and Target editions of Endgame have super lame covers

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Is there a benefit to using bitstream/atmos over uncompressed audio when you have a soundbar or traditional 5.1 + AVR setup? For example, the X1X allows you to choose either bitstream/atmos or uncompressed audio (2.0/5.1/7.1). I have a 5.1 setup + Atmos-enabled Yamaha AVR: which selection would you suggest?

Thank you!

I haven't experimented too much with going back and forth, nor am I super versed in the difference at a tech level. But I have left it on Atmos Bitstrean myself. Mostly because I don't want to forget to switch when I put in a BR disc, but I also don't play games on Xbox as often anyway.

The fake Atmos for other sources is ok but I can imagine it might be better to switch off Atmos for uncompressed audio when not using official Atmos sources. That way you avoid the Xbox adding in whatever virtualization it's doing on top of the source. Just my assumption.

captscience

Oct 25, 2017
Info about Apocalypse Now 4K. All three cuts(theaterical, redux, final cut) are gonna be remastered, looks like

Wow. What a great package. I've heard great things about the new cut and it's presented in the movie's proper aspect ratio (first time in HD?)!

The Q&A between FFC and Steven Soderbegh which will be included just happened and was apparently very good.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Very excited to see the new cut!
It screened at tribeca. Basically it's the Redux minus a couple scenes. The plantation scene is still there.

10640.jpg

I'm actually just noticing that's Kurtz in the reflection, which is dope

Zousi

Oct 31, 2017
Love that cover and love that we're getting these stone cold classics on 4K. The more the merrier.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
4k Ultra HD+3 Blurays+Digital. I don't like what that cover is implying.
The 4K disc has all three cuts. The three blu-rays are basically the Full Disclosure with a few added featurettes

"
4K BLU-RAY SPECIAL FEATURES AND TECHNICAL SPECS:
  • NEW 4K RESTORATION OF THE FILM FROM THE ORIGINAL CAMERA NEGATIVE
  • DOLBY VISION HDR PRESENTATION OF THE FILM
  • DOLBY ATMOS TRACK/Sensual Sound enhanced
  • Audio Commentary by Director Francis Ford Coppola
  • Optional English, Spanish, French, English SDH subtitles for the main feature
  • 4K Blu-ray includes:
    • The Final Cut (183 Minutes)
    • Redux Extended Cut (202 Minutes)
    • Theatrical Version (153 Minutes)
BLU-RAY SPECIAL FEATURES:

DISC ONE
DISC TWO
  • An Interview with John Milius
  • A Conversation with Martin Sheen and Francis Ford Coppola
  • "Fred Roos: Casting Apocalypse" Featurette
  • The Mercury Theatre on the Air: Heart of Darkness – November 6, 1938
  • "The Hollow Men" Featurette
  • Monkey Sampan "Lost Scene"
  • Additional Scenes
  • "Destruction of the Kurtz Compound" End Credits (with Non-Optional Audio Commentary by Francis Ford Coppola)
  • "The Birth of 5.1 Sound" Featurette
  • "Ghost Helicopter Flyover" Sound Effects Demonstration
  • "The Synthesizer Soundtrack" Article by Bob Moog
  • "A Million Feet of Film: The Editing of Apocalypse Now" Featurette
  • "Heard Any Good Movies Lately? The Sound Design of Apocalypse Now" Featurette
  • "The Final Mix" Featurette
  • "2001 Cannes Film Festival: Francis Ford Coppola" Featurette
  • "PBR Streetgang" Featurette
  • "The Color Palette of Apocalypse Now" Featurette
  • Disc Credits
DISC THREE
  • NEW: Tribeca Film Festival Q&A with Francis Ford Coppola and Steven Soderbergh
  • NEW: Never-Before-Seen B-Roll Footage
  • Hearts of Darkness: A Filmmaker's Apocalypse (with Optional Audio Commentary by Francis and Eleanor Coppola)
  • John Milius Script Excerpt with Francis Coppola Notes (Still Gallery)
  • Storyboard Collection
  • Photo Archive
  • Unit Photography
  • Mary Ellen Mark Photography
  • Marketing Archive
  • 1979 Teaser Trailer
  • 1979 Theatrical Trailer
  • 1979 Radio Spots
  • 1979 Theatrical Program
  • Lobby Card and Press Kit Photos
  • Poster Gallery
  • Apocalypse Now Redux Trailer

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
The 4K disc has all three cuts. The three blu-rays are basically the Full Disclosure with a few added featurettes

"
4K BLU-RAY SPECIAL FEATURES AND TECHNICAL SPECS:
  • NEW 4K RESTORATION OF THE FILM FROM THE ORIGINAL CAMERA NEGATIVE
  • DOLBY VISION HDR PRESENTATION OF THE FILM
  • DOLBY ATMOS TRACK/Sensual Sound enhanced
  • 4K Blu-ray includes:
    • The Final Cut (183 Minutes)
    • Redux Extended Cut (202 Minutes)
    • Theatrical Version (153 Minutes)
BLU-RAY SPECIAL FEATURES:

DISC ONE
DISC TWO
  • An Interview with John Milius
  • A Conversation with Martin Sheen and Francis Ford Coppola
  • "Fred Roos: Casting Apocalypse" Featurette
  • The Mercury Theatre on the Air: Heart of Darkness – November 6, 1938
  • "The Hollow Men" Featurette
  • Monkey Sampan "Lost Scene"
  • Additional Scenes
  • "Destruction of the Kurtz Compound" End Credits (with Non-Optional Audio Commentary by Francis Ford Coppola)
  • "The Birth of 5.1 Sound" Featurette
  • "Ghost Helicopter Flyover" Sound Effects Demonstration
  • "The Synthesizer Soundtrack" Article by Bob Moog
  • "A Million Feet of Film: The Editing of Apocalypse Now" Featurette
  • "Heard Any Good Movies Lately? The Sound Design of Apocalypse Now" Featurette
  • "The Final Mix" Featurette
  • "2001 Cannes Film Festival: Francis Ford Coppola" Featurette
  • "PBR Streetgang" Featurette
  • "The Color Palette of Apocalypse Now" Featurette
  • Disc Credits
DISC THREE
  • NEW: Tribeca Film Festival Q&A with Francis Ford Coppola and Steven Soderbergh
  • NEW: Never-Before-Seen B-Roll Footage
  • Hearts of Darkness: A Filmmaker's Apocalypse (with Optional Audio Commentary by Francis and Eleanor Coppola)
  • John Milius Script Excerpt with Francis Coppola Notes (Still Gallery)
  • Storyboard Collection
  • Photo Archive
  • Unit Photography
  • Mary Ellen Mark Photography
  • Marketing Archive
  • 1979 Teaser Trailer
  • 1979 Theatrical Trailer
  • 1979 Radio Spots
  • 1979 Theatrical Program
  • Lobby Card and Press Kit Photos
  • Poster Gallery
  • Apocalypse Now Redux Trailer
Oh good. I do wish they had Hearts of Darkness in 4k, but what are ya gonna do?

NealMcCauley

Oct 27, 2017
Got a "review your payment info" email from BB for my Black Hawk Down steelbook like I did for Alien. Hopefully it'll be shipped Thursday and in my mailbox Saturday.

NealMcCauley

Oct 27, 2017
Got my shipping email for Black Hawk Down! Saw a few screenshots on the blu-ray forum this morning. Looks fantastic. Hurry up Saturday!

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
I bought the LG B8 and the Audioquest Pearl hdmi cables https://www.audioquest.com/cables/digital-cables/hdmi/pearl

Are these hdmi cables the right ones for my TV?
Yes, this part is the key takeaway:

HIGH SPEED DATA CAPACITY

HDMI standards and capabilities have improved significantly since DVI first evolved into HDMI. All generations are backward compatible. However, not all previous HDMI cables can transmit the full 18Gbps of data required to optimize today's HDMI 2.0 equipment. While there is currently no 4K/60 4:4:4 software requiring the full 18Gbps capability of HDMI, some sources (UHD Blu-ray players) can be set to "up-sample", requiring 18Gbps capability. Up-sampling often should be done in the TV rather than in a previous component — but that's your decision. AudioQuest HDMI cables with "Exceeds 18 G bps" on the box front are guaranteed to exceed the requirements for all possible HDMI data streams.

woo

Nov 11, 2017
I bought the LG B8 and the Audioquest Pearl hdmi cables https://www.audioquest.com/cables/digital-cables/hdmi/pearl'

Are these hdmi cables the right ones for my TV?

They look like it. I presume you mean with regard to 4K content. If so then these appear to be 'high-speed' HDMI cables which are what are required for that. However, a cheap 'high-speed' Amazon Basics HDMI cable would do just as well. If these are pricey then you could save some pennies by returning these and buying one of those instead. I use one for my 4K disc player and 4K discs look amazing on my LG C8.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, this part is the key takeaway:

There were a lot of cables that didn't do what they advertised when 4K sources became common. They created a certification process so you can identify a logo on the product and know that it's been tested and certified.

https://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/premiumcable/faq.aspx

Of course that doesn't mean that non-certified cables don't work, just that they didn't go through the process. I will say that when the Oppo 203 launched it was a shitstorm on AVS daily when people's $200 HDMI cables didn't work.

Certified cables aren't expensive. I just use the slim ones from Monoprice.

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
There were a lot of cables that didn't do what they advertised when 4K sources became common. They created a certification process so you can identify a logo on the product and know that it's been tested and certified.

https://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/premiumcable/faq.aspx

Of course that doesn't mean that non-certified cables don't work, just that they didn't go through the process. I will say that when the Oppo 203 launched it was a shitstorm on AVS daily when people's $200 HDMI cables didn't work.

Certified cables aren't expensive. I just use the slim ones from Monoprice.
Ostinatto already purchased his/her HDMI cable and wanted reassurance that it would work. Even though AudioQuest cables don't have the shiny "Certified" logo and, barring price, are great cables backed by a lifetime warranty. MonoPrice and Amazon Basics cables have done me well over the years. Blue Jeans Cable are consistently praised over at AVSForum. Though something tells me I shouldn't be telling you this, 'cause you already know. 😉

NealMcCauley

Oct 27, 2017
Got BHD in the mail. Gonna watch later.

Saw Batman at the fathom screening earlier. Interested if anyone else saw it. The sound mix is completely different. If I didnt know any better every gunshot was new.

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
Got BHD in the mail. Gonna watch later.

Saw Batman at the fathom screening earlier. Interested if anyone else saw it. The sound mix is completely different. If I didnt know any better every gunshot was new.
I got Black Hawk Down in the mail today, as well, and was gonna watch it with the girlfriend. She bailed on it and we're now watching The ABC murders instead. I am most excited about the potential for Black Hawk Down's Atmos mix, though!

I also received Backdraft and Hellboy 2 in the mail today. Hellboy 2 is such a beautiful film, I hope it becomes even more so in this release. I guess I should say I look forward to the Atmos/DTS:X mix for every supported titles, because I am hoping both Hellboy 2 and Backdraft have great DTS:X soundtracks, as well.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Man I'm feeling the UHD curse lately. Best Buy didn't ship my Black Hawk Down and they'll cancel my order if they don't ship it by June 6...

TheKeyPit

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Bought both John Wick movies in UHD. Which one is real 4k? I found contradicting sources. One says the first movie is real 4k, another says it is the second movie?

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
I watched the 4K UHD Blu-Ray of Backdraft last night. In all the years since the movie has come out I'd never gotten around to watching it. By today's standards I think it's a good movie, but I could certainly see it as having been a great one when it came out. I'm not too fond of the ending, though.
I felt like all the heroics of Brian saving his brother, Stephen, from the fire at the end was wasted in letting Stephen die in the ambulance, anyway. A bit of a roller-coaster ride of drama that seemed to exist solely for drama's sake.

I thought the picture quality was excellent! The fire really comes alive on-screen, with an intensity that I can imagine only HDR and an increased color depth could bring. The DTS:X soundtrack didn't wow me with any discrete overhead effects, but did amaze me with everything else. My 7.2.4 system got a workout; low frequencies were punchy and exciting, and channel separation was divine as fire effects swirl and surround the viewer.

Hellboy 2: The Golden Army is next on my 4K UHD Blu-Ray viewing list, but I want to watch the first one beforehand. I really love those 2 movies; I am hopeful that Hellboy 2 makes the jump to 4K that really allows for the special effects to shine. And I can only hope the DTS:X soundtrack is as fun as the movie itself.

Anyone seen Black Hawk yet? tempted to pick a copy up, but would love to hear impressions first.
It's a really fantastic UHD presentation with a great Atmos mix. Definitely worth the purchase; moreso if you're a fan of the movie.

Damn Black Hawk Down looks pretty awesome.

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Oh hey, since I was singing the praises of it in the Captain Marvel thread, time to show off the five movies I got for $1 from the Disney Movie Club...

image0.jpg

Deleted member 22585

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
I'm in shock.

Just watched the Into The Spiderverse UHD, first time seeing the movie. It looks fucking GLORIOUS. The artstyle, the colors, the animation, it's incredible. Wow.

Oh, and the movie itself is also very good.

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
So, LG is refunding me my money since my UP875 4K Blu-Ray Player is total trash and tends to randomly skip/freeze, so now I am looking into another 4K Blu-Ray Player. Does anybody know of any good ones that are under $200-$250 that don't suck, or would it be best to just spend the $500 for the Panasonic?

Anyone seen Black Hawk yet? tempted to pick a copy up, but would love to hear impressions first.

Yep! It's a fantastic copy compared to the god-awful Blu-Ray version.

How is the 2001: Space Odyssey 4K disc?

Absolutely breathtaking.

Branson

Oct 27, 2017
So, LG is refunding me my money since my UP875 4K Blu-Ray Player is total trash and tends to randomly skip/freeze, so now I am looking into another 4K Blu-Ray Player. Does anybody know of any good ones that are under $200-$250 that don't suck, or would it be best to just spend the $500 for the Panasonic?

Absolutely breathtaking.
I like my Sony X700. The X800-2 is coming out soon I think also.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma

Absolutely breathtaking.
I would recommend the new Sony X-800 that has Dolby Vision support. The old player was perfect except it lacked DV. Right now i'm happy with my LG UP970 It's whisper quiet for movies.

Last edited:

ɣGammaɣ

Oct 26, 2017
the middle of the woods
Watched Aquaman yesterday, was pure entertainment, colours were vivid, sound was brutal, liked the movie overall too.

Full screen was fantastic to have, would like more movies to do so.

Last edited:

BdoUK

Oct 27, 2017
Louisville, KY
I would recommend the new Sony X-800 that has Dolby Vision support. The old player was perfect except it lacked DV. Right now i'm happy with my LG UP970 It's whisper quiet for movies.

My X800 was pretty good but I did have the occasional hard lock that required the plug to be pulled in order to get it to reboot. It is a great media player as well but I moved on to the Panasonic 820 as it pairs better with my projector (SDR 2020) and so far I've had no lock up issues with any UHD discs.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Discovered that the new Sony X800M2 player is out and so I grabbed one this morning as I have been dying to replace the XBX as my 4K disc player for awhile now.

The player is almost identical to the prior one, though I hear the front end is updated here, and the big advantage is the addition of Dolby Vision support(which needs to be manually switched on for discs that can support it...then turned off again to avoid potentially making non-DV discs look off. A minor annoyance).

Player also came bundled with Spider-Verse and Jumanji(2017) as a nice pack-in bonus. I already own Spiderman, but I've never seen Jumanji. I had heard that film was not only surprisingly entertaining, but also a reference quality disc. Watched about half of it and have to agree. It looks and sounds pretty incredible. Swapping DV on/off and I felt I could tell the slight difference too. I mean HDR looked fine but directly comparing it with DV and the clarity and colors did come across stronger. Kind of made the effort to manually turn on DV sort of worth it...or I'm just actually convincing myself of nonsense and its a big placebo effect. But regardless, in DV it looks pretty incredible. (Also the Atmos audio is great too, especially the loud overhead chime effect heard a few times in the film. Actually was looking up when those moments occurred).

Need to finish the second half this week, but its a fun movie so far. Actually now excited for the sequel, especially watching recent Jablinski vids with Jack Black and the rest back in their roles.

Aquaman and Mission Impossible Fallout also support DV, so they are next on my list to watch. Player is a huge upgrade over the XBX if only for usability(disc goes in and almost instantly the menu is up ready to play, whereas on Xbox...ugh.)

Deleted member 22585

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
Watched Aquaman yesterday, was pure entertainment, colours were vivid, sound was brutal, liked the movie overall too.

Full screen was fantastic to have, would like more movies to do so.

Mhm guess I really have to watch it. Bought it directly at release but just couldn't find the time yet. But I've heard from multiple sources that it's a visually stunning movie.

Will try to squeeze it in this week.

ɣGammaɣ

Oct 26, 2017
the middle of the woods
Mhm guess I really have to watch it. Bought it directly at release but just couldn't find the time yet. But I've heard from multiple sources that it's a visually stunning movie.

Will try to squeeze it in this week.

Do it, it looks and sounds great and it's also a fun movie. Funny that you bought it and not watched it. I went to buy it, was sold out, said they get some at the evening, I went again, was still in boxes, helped the nice lady from the shop to find it and watched it one hour later ^_^

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
I too have withheld my Aquaman watch until I had access to a DV capable player. Gonna give it a spin this weekend finally!