• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
I picked up Apollo 11 yesterday and man it's such a damn shame there isn't a 4K UHD release. Even digitally it's not 4K. Picture quality is stunning and I'm kind of surprised given how it's only about 16.6 GB in size from ripping it and yet over 90 min. I figured the bitrate wouldn't be up to par, but it still looked great. Reviews seem to feel the same way too. I saw it in IMAX originally and while even projected at home it doesn't match up, it's still great to watch again.

ɣGammaɣ

Oct 26, 2017
the middle of the woods
Official: Shining comes out October 1. WB just sent out an email.

Regular version:

Think i will pick it up at release day, have not seen it before.

Think it's great with that a lot of old/classic movies get a rerelease, some also get improved as for example colour correction of matrix. Alien was also great to see in HDR. Tomorrow I get the Big Lebowski uhd, shamefully also never seen before.

This German site is great with the sliders to see the diffrence between Blu Rays and UHDs
https://blu-ray-rezensionen.net/ali...s-einer-anderen-welt-40th-anniversary-4k-uhd/

Son of Liberty

Production
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
California
Just pre-ordered Apocalypse Now and Shining in 4K.
I bought a ton of blu-rays over the years but now I'm only getting 4K discs of movies I absolutely love, everything else will be digital.
Speaking of which, does anyone know what I should do with my old blu-ray collection?
I have 200+ blu-rays that I don't watch anymore. I'm thinking about donating them to a local library.

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
I too have withheld my Aquaman watch until I had access to a DV capable player. Gonna give it a spin this weekend finally!
Oh, you are in for a treat! The Atmos mix is a showcase, too.

I also find the movie a ton of fun, but that's beside the point. 😜

Speaking of which, does anyone know what I should do with my old blu-ray collection?
I have 200+ blu-rays that I don't watch anymore. I'm thinking about donating them to a local library.
That's a super noble and awesome donation in support of your local library, if you go that route.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
So I had a bad thing happen that affects Movies Anywhere.

My "forever" e-mail account that I've had for decades was deleted without warning a couple of weeks back (the whole domain was killed off). Naturally this is the address that I used with Movies Anywhere (and every other streaming thing).

It seems fine for most services but Movies Anywhere actually will not allow any e-mail address updates/changes. Is there a work-around for this? I know that people cheat the system in various ways with syncing but I may be forced to do this if I wish to keep my 827 movies.

What a bunch of amateurs.. How can you launch a huge service like this with no way for updates?

Thanks!

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
So I had a bad thing happen that affects Movies Anywhere.

My "forever" e-mail account that I've had for decades was deleted without warning a couple of weeks back (the whole domain was killed off). Naturally this is the address that I used with Movies Anywhere (and every other streaming thing).

It seems fine for most services but Movies Anywhere actually will not allow any e-mail address updates/changes. Is there a work-around for this? I know that people cheat the system in various ways with syncing but I may be forced to do this if I wish to keep my 827 movies.

What a bunch of amateurs.. How can you launch a huge service like this with no way for updates?

Thanks!

I'm in the same boat. From Googling it, it sounds like some people have had luck having it merged into a new address, but I haven't tried it yet. Having to move everything from one e-mail address to another has been a huge eye opening experience for me, especially how widely different everyone handles the process. Kind of scary in some cases. I'd be curious what the answer to this is too.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
I'm in the same boat. From Googling it, it sounds like some people have had luck having it merged into a new address, but I haven't tried it yet. Having to move everything from one e-mail address to another has been a huge eye opening experience for me, especially how widely different everyone handles the process. Kind of scary in some cases. I'd be curious what the answer to this is too.

Yeah the whole thing is nuts. My university (way back) provided a "forever" e-mail account for alumni so it seemed a safe choice. Then they decided to switch from a paid hosting to in-house and they switched domains. They alerted some people and missed others so it just went poof overnight. It's been pretty painful.

Movies Anywhere responded that this is a future feature they plan to support. It's astounding that they launched without it.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Surprisingly we keep getting some amazing UHD deals in Australia, JB and Amazon are currently doing a buy one get one free promo this weekend. JB also gives you a $10 coupon top every time you ask them to send a digital receipt to your phone and I've got a bunch left over from last time. Haul came out as:

Aquaman - $15
Venom - $15
A Star is Born - $10
A Quiet Place - $10
Bad Boys 1 & 2 - $10 each
Captain America Trilogy - $7.50 each
Avengers Infinite War - $7.50

Only watched Aquman so far. Entertaining and up there with the best PQ and AQ I've ever seen.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the whole thing is nuts. My university (way back) provided a "forever" e-mail account for alumni so it seemed a safe choice. Then they decided to switch from a paid hosting to in-house and they switched domains. They alerted some people and missed others so it just went poof overnight. It's been pretty painful.

Movies Anywhere responded that this is a future feature they plan to support. It's astounding that they launched without it.

I'm curious what future means on a timeline and if you're required to have access to the old e-mail address to do the transfer as a part of their process? Because the latter is going to suck if true.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious what future means on a timeline and if you're required to have access to the old e-mail address to do the transfer as a part of their process? Because the latter is going to suck if true.

Yeah me too. If they try to deny anything because I don't have access to the old address then I'd probably consider it lawyer territory for 800+ movies.

Deleted member 7130

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For years, every once in a while, I search for A Very Long Engagement on US Blu to no avail. Importing a copy wont be very cheap... 😔

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Whats the source for that? I'm pretty sure that the new master used for blu-ray was only redone at 2k.

ClivePwned

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Digital Bits says Thor and Thor Dark World (don't laugh) are being released in August/September on UHD discs. Iron man 1-3 in August.

That just leaves the first Ant Man. I really want a phase 1 and 2 MCU UHD set rather than getting the one by one (as I have for the Phase 3 films).

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Alita Battle Angel is finally up for pre-order with a release date of 22 July. Seems there's only three versions available: DVD, Blu-ray + DVD and 4K + 3D + Blu-ray and add a Digital Copy to the later two for the US, they seem to skip that for Europe, though I personally prefer to just rip the disc anyway. I'm so excited to watch the film again!

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
John Wick 2 is a reference level disc. I mean fuck that movie was beautifully shot(even if I didn't love it as much as the first). The opening scenes with the neon reflecting in the darkness and the rain puddles, just stunning. Then you have the rooftop conversation during spring in NYC and the skyline and colors are everywhere.

The first film looked great but a bit muted, but damn at Wick 2...

Velasco

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
John Wick 2 is a reference level disc. I mean fuck that movie was beautifully shot(even if I didn't love it as much as the first). The opening scenes with the neon reflecting in the darkness and the rain puddles, just stunning. Then you have the rooftop conversation during spring in NYC and the skyline and colors are everywhere.

If the threatical presentation is any indication, John Wick Chapter 3 will be another reference disc.

Scently

Oct 27, 2017

Yep. Its an icredible demo disc. The first one is native 4k yet the second looks a lot better.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
Is there a good guide for setting up hdr. From everything I've tried all it seemed to do is make the screen dark and looks terrible.

woo

Nov 11, 2017
Doctor Strange is coming. No word on Guardians 1 yet. I was speaking personally- I'm waiting for box sets of Phase 1 and 2 movies and picking up the Phase 3 films ad hoc (so for me its Doctor Strange and Civil War are the ones I haven't gotten yet)

Ah, okay. Is Doctor Strange definite? The last I heard the rumour was found to be based on a mistake by an online retailer.

ClivePwned

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
i guess we'll see. So right now, only Stange and the first Antman don't have a release date. I would be surprised if we didn't have them both by Christmas

Fox1304

Oct 26, 2017
Just got a 4k HDR projector to replace my 1080p one. Even though it's "'fake" 4K by wobbulation, it's pretty damn impressive. Looking forward to watching all my 4K content again !

Oct 29, 2017
Digital Bits says Thor and Thor Dark World (don't laugh) are being released in August/September on UHD discs. Iron man 1-3 in August.

That just leaves the first Ant Man. I really want a phase 1 and 2 MCU UHD set rather than getting the one by one (as I have for the Phase 3 films).
Weird that Zavvi are already popping up pre-orders for the Iron Man steelbooks but not the Thor ones.

gsrjedi

Oct 26, 2017
I'm pretty sure on Apple TV, if you select the TV app and scroll over to library it has a category for 4K & HDR

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017

Seconded. It's just crazy how good it looks. I still use that opening to look in awe at my set sometimes. Also the part at John Wick's house with the full glass walls in the pouring rain is another.

Possum Armada

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Greenville, SC
After years of being anti-physical media, my wife got me this as a present:

1205.jpg

And it rekindled my love of the weird and niche stuff that just isn't going to exist in our streaming-only future. Now I am hooked. Just ordered a few more discs from Arrow and spent a bit at the big sale from Vinegar Syndrome. :D

Does anyone have a good recommendation for a vendor to get region unlocked blu ray players?

OP
OP
KDash

KDash

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
My younger brother got me How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World. I didn't get to watch it in theaters, so I'm looking forward to finally watching it. Might do that tonight.

vVJ2tIz.jpg

BdoUK

Oct 27, 2017
Louisville, KY
Heads up for those of us that had audio sync issues with the Atmos track on the UHD version of Bumblebee. PHE finally got back to me and has pressed a new disc that should resolve the issue. I'll post full details once I get home.