• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
img_20190601_010208zhj7m.jpg

Because companies in the Netherlands are bloody cheapskates, most 4k releases do not include anything other than the 4k versions and are priced the exact same/more than in Germany or the UK. But in this case, the two trilogy sets were actually cheaper (€35 and third copy was free, so seven films with seventh one being free) than most other stores I could see online and I already owned the Robert Langdon regular blu-rays, so why not.

Can't wait to finally see Lost Highway, this will be one hell of an odd ride!

BdoUK

Oct 27, 2017
Louisville, KY
Below are the full details on the Bumblebee UHD replacement process:

Thank you for your continued patience while we address the audio issue you have been experiencing.

In response to Bumblebee UHD's picture and audio sync issues being observed on some playback platforms, we have determined we can tighten their alignment to remedy the audio sync lag issue. Audio sync lag was observed primarily with the English ATMOS track, but we are addressing all the audio tracks on the disc regardless.

The majority of consumers may never notice the sync issue, but unfortunately, the audio sync lag is exacerbated by viewing the film via the "ARC" (Audio Return Channel) port on TVs that output to a sound-bar or receiver. Compliance amongst TV manufacturer ARC implementation is not standardized, thus different set-ups will exhibit different and varying playback behavior, even if played back on the same set-up multiple times.

A replacement disc is already ready that will align the picture and audio sync better, but do note, it still may not remedy all the ARC playback set-ups in the market – we suggest consulting your manufacturer's documentation on how to align picture and audio sync if still experiencing lag.

Please mail your UHD Disc to the address below and include your shipping information.

Paramount Pictures
5555 Melrose Ave
Los Angeles, CA 90038
Attn: Customer Service
Re: Bumblebee

NealMcCauley

Oct 27, 2017
Had a moment of weakness and bought all four Batman 4k's tonight. About 3/4 through the first. Looks great. Gonna go straight to Robin after this to see what that looks like.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Amazon UK just shipped my order for the Mummy trilogy in 4k. Can't wait to rewatch the film's like that. The old blu-rays are ancient transfers. First one even released on HD-DVD.

SliChillax

Oct 30, 2017
Tirana, Albania
Digital Bits says Thor and Thor Dark World (don't laugh) are being released in August/September on UHD discs. Iron man 1-3 in August.

That just leaves the first Ant Man. I really want a phase 1 and 2 MCU UHD set rather than getting the one by one (as I have for the Phase 3 films).
I wonder if the iron man movies will be any different to the already existing 4k german version that I own

Praetorpwj

Nov 21, 2017
Had a moment of weakness and bought all four Batman 4k's tonight. About 3/4 through the first. Looks great. Gonna go straight to Robin after this to see what that looks like.
Batman 89 UHD is a must have. In addition to vastly improved picture they have re-recorded a lot of the sound effects as part of the Atmos mix mainly gun shots, melee impact and The Batmobile. It sounds miles better than the original. The new Batmobile and Batwing Gatling cannons sound is brutal.

Apparently originally they ran out of time and had to copy over a lot of sound effects from Dirty Harry which is why a lot of it sounds samey.

Branson

Oct 27, 2017
Picked up the Fast and Furious 8 movie collection and wow the first movie is a big upgrade. It looks great.

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
they have re-recorded a lot of the sound effects as part of the Atmos mix mainly gun shots, melee impact and The Batmobile. It sounds miles better than the original. The new Batmobile and Batwing Gatling cannons sound is brutal.

Apparently originally they ran out of time and had to copy over a lot of sound effects from Dirty Harry which is why a lot of it sounds samey.
I don't know how I feel about this. I hadn't watched Batman in a very very long time, so I was instantly transformed into my 8 year-old self, watching the movie for the first time again (nearly).

Though I cannot agree more about the disc being a "must have." The picture quality and Atmos mix are simply outstanding!

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I was going to wait for the X-MEN to hit the MCU before I got my first taste, but I was told these three are at least decent, so I gave it a purchase.
image0.jpg

OP
OP
KDash

KDash

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
1 is decent/good. 2 is very good. 3 is...a thing that exists.

I still own all of the X-Men movies, though. But I did get them all super cheap on Blu-ray a while back.

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Has anybody heard anything about Aliens (1986) coming to UHD? I was considering buying the blu-ray, but then I read that it came from a 4K master, so a 4K release seems like a no-brainer

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Fifteen minutes into the Alien UHD-BD, and the picture quality is unbelievable. Inky blacks and bright glowing lights all over the Nostromo, and the best combination of film grain and razor-sharp details I've ever seen. I've watched this movie at least 20 times in as many years, and it's never looked this good.

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017
Fifteen minutes into the Alien UHD-BD, and the picture quality is unbelievable. Inky blacks and bright glowing lights all over the Nostromo, and the best combination of film grain and razor-sharp details I've ever seen. I've watched this movie at least 20 times in as many years, and it's never looked this good.
Definitely agree, it blew me away. Glad I bought it (again.. again).

Deleted member 22585

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU

Tempted. It's such a classic and I somehow don't own it yet.

woo

Nov 11, 2017

How did you get on with
the chestburster scene? That had me partially turning my head away in horror with a hand over my mouth at the utter horror of it.
Given that I have watched Alien innumerable times I think that is quite an achievement!

I found the odd optical effect jarring but fortunately, they are few and far between as it is almost all practical effects. Apart from that, it is an excellent release.

Definitely agree, it blew me away. Glad I bought it (again.. again).

Heh, after watching this in 4K I fired up my DVD Alien Quadrilogy to watch Aliens. I was disappointed with how crappy it looked so just bought the Blu Ray Alien Anthology so now have Alien on DVD, Blu Ray and 4K.

It's a classic, landmark film! You owe it to yourself to have it in your collection *firm stare*.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
How did you get on with
the chestburster scene? That had me partially turning my head away in horror with a hand over my mouth at the utter horror of it.
Given that I have watched Alien innumerable times I think that is quite an achievement!

I found the odd optical effect jarring but fortunately, they are few and far between as it is almost all practical effects. Apart from that, it is an excellent release.

Yeah, it was pretty damn vivid 😝

I'll be rewatching this copy *a lot*, but some standout moments were the lights inside MU-TH-UR, the pores on Ian Holm's face, the individual twinkling points of the fiber optic cables in that "interrogation" scene, and the sense of depth in the space jockey scene, not to mention an insane degree of detail in the darkest shots.

While it still looks great, I didn't quite get the same WOW factor from 4K Blade Runner that I did from Alien.

For fifteen bucks at Best Buy it was a freaking steal. They also have the Blu-Ray Quadrilogy for the same price, and the suite of special features across all movies is peerless (the inside story of Alien 3 is especially fascinating.)

IMO it's the best horror movie ever made. Swift pacing, GOAT production design, and great performances from a stacked cast.

woo

Nov 11, 2017
Yeah, it was pretty damn vivid 😝

I'll be rewatching this copy *a lot*, but some standout moments were the lights inside MU-TH-UR, the pores on Ian Holm's face, the individual twinkling points of the fiber optic cables in that "interrogation" scene, and the sense of depth in the space jockey scene, not to mention an insane degree of detail in the darkest shots.

While it still looks great, I didn't quite get the same WOW factor from 4K Blade Runner that I did from Alien.

For fifteen bucks at Best Buy it was a freaking steal. They also have the Blu-Ray Quadrilogy for the same price, and the suite of special features across all movies is peerless (the inside story of Alien 3 is especially fascinating.)

IMO it's the best horror movie ever made. Swift pacing, GOAT production design, and great performances from a stacked cast.

:D

Yeah, I'm going to hold onto my DVD Quadrilogy just for the extras. Besides, there's a perverse pleasure in having the movie on 3 different formats.

I just love Ian Holm's acting in this movie. He is just so deliciously shifty and untrustworthy but in a delightfully understated way. I love the shifty little look he makes to see if anyone is watching him before he pumps his arms and legs for a second before going to his observation seat when
Dallas, Lambert and Kane head out to the beacon.
and also
his dispassionate observation of Kane at the dinner table before all hell breaks lose.

Deleted member 420

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone import a Christopher Nolan 4k set from Europe? Are they the same exact discs as the US release, just a couple box arts are in Italian?

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Recently purchased the 4k release of The Lego Batman film, I already owned it on regular blu-ray, but it was only €10, so figured why not, I paid more for the normal blu-ray. It was weird, because the same store sold the normal blu-ray for €15 and the 3D release for €33, not that I'm complaining, it's just... Odd...

Oozer

Oct 25, 2017
From The Earth To The Moon is being released on Blu-ray with re-done effects.

All 12 episodes of Tom Hanks' From the Earth to the Moon miniseries have been fully remastered in HD. It's also worth mentioning that the "standard definition visual effects have been replaced with brand-new [HD] CG effects that are based on reference models from NASA" and the Blu-ray will feature a remixed soundtrack in Dolby Atmos.

These remastered episodes will also air on HBO.

CollectSpace has also reported: "On July 15, all 12 digitally-remastered episodes will be available to watch on HBO Go, HBO Now and HBO On Demand. Then, on July 20—the 50th anniversary of the first moon landing—HBO2 will air a marathon of the complete series, starting at 8:45 a.m. (ET/PT)."

KZGCEVO.jpg

The Blu-ray will be released on July 16th, the 50th anniversary of the launch of Apollo 11.

Deleted member 22585

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
Finally watched Aquaman and Cptn. Marvel.

Aquaman
Only a 2k upscale and it is noticably softer than a native disk. But it is still a visually appealing disc. The colors are amazing and some of the scenes are breathtaking. Amazing camera work at times, especially in the last fight against Mantis.
Some costumes are so cheesy and cheap looking that I was taken out of the movie sometimes.
The movie itself was a lot of fun, doesn't take itself too serious and knows what kind of movie it is.
I was very well entertained, even if it has some cringey scenes.

Captain Marvel
Again a 2k upscale. It's a shame that most CGI is still rendered in 2k and movie makers chose this resolution for their movies most of the time.
Some visually stunning scenes and nice bright highlights. Not a spectacular movie but it looks good.
The movie is very good, interesting story and Caroline is a well done character. Fury is more cheesy than I thought. Fun ending, I totally recommend the movie.

BdoUK

Oct 27, 2017
Louisville, KY
Finally watched Aquaman and Cptn. Marvel.

Captain Marvel
Again a 2k upscale. It's a shame that most CGI is still rendered in 2k and movie makers chose this resolution for their movies most of the time.
Some visually stunning scenes and nice bright highlights. Not a spectacular movie but it looks good.
The movie is very good, interesting story and Caroline is a well done character. Fury is more cheesy than I thought. Fun ending, I totally recommend the movie.

Captain Marvel was all over the place from a look perspective. A lot of the scenes looked really flat and dark but then a lot of the CG scenes looked amazing, especially with the usage of HDR. I was really impressed with the Atmos track especially after cranking it up a few DBs as is necessary with most Disney UHD discs.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Received my copy of Ash VS Evil Dead earlier today on blu-ray, really enjoyed the first episode and really solid transfer. Now I just need the films and whatever Bruce and Sam were teasing.

Deleted member 22585

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
Captain Marvel was all over the place from a look perspective. A lot of the scenes looked really flat and dark but then a lot of the CG scenes looked amazing, especially with the usage of HDR. I was really impressed with the Atmos track especially after cranking it up a few DBs as is necessary with most Disney UHD discs.

I agree. Many different locations, times, styles etc. It felt kinda uneven. I also compared it to the Blu-Ray (just some scenes) and the UHD seems to be mastered significantly darker. But the skin tones look more natural on the UHD. Though especially the faces seem rather soft and not very detailed for a UHD disc. I bet it's because the made Sam Jacksons face younger with CGI in 2k, the shape-shifter faces are in 2k and it would look weird if the other people would have sharp 4k faces.

Westonian

Oct 27, 2017
The near eternally delayed Blu-ray of Mamet's The Spanish Prisoner is finally shipping from Amazon. Should have my copy by Wednesday. Just in time for me to be out of town.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So, Lawrence of Arabia is getting a 4k release. This is going to be good!
Fathom events is showing this again in Sept

"This digital print of Lawrence of Arabia is presented in 4K. Utilizing 8K scans of the 65mm original negative, the picture was painstakingly restored, removing the damage, deterioration and fading it had experienced over 50 years. Accompanied by remastered 5.1 audio, the film is presented in its original 2.20 aspect ratio, along with the original overture and intermission. "

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The film got a 8k remaster now? Holy hell, the previous blu-ray at 4k was already absolutely crazy!

Edit: of was that also scanned at 8k? I thought it was 4k, but now I'm doubting myself.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The film got a 8k remaster now? Holy hell, the previous blu-ray at 4k was already absolutely crazy!

Edit: of was that also scanned at 8k? I thought it was 4k, but now I'm doubting myself.
I think it was scanned from 8K and then presented in 4K.

Honestly I kinda question the diminishing returns of doing an 8K scan, but this is Sony. Ever since the superbit DVD days they've been at the front of the line with big studio remasters for their classics. I guess they got the time and money to do something like that.

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor

Honestly I kinda question the diminishing returns of doing an 8K scan, but this is Sony. Ever since the superbit DVD days they've been at the front of the line with big studio remasters for their classics. I guess they got the time and money to do something like that.
When you're also in the business of manufacturing AV electronics, you best make it seem that your products are top of the line.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

I must admit, that some 2k remasters that are made recently, notably the Jackie Chan remasters like City Hunter and Project A & Project A Part 2 look absolutely crazy good despite being 'low' resolution. I honestly prefer those than some 4k remasters I've seen. So it's not a tell all about the remaster, but still, it'll be crazy sharp.

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
I must admit, that some 2k remasters that are made recently, notably the Jackie Chan remasters like City Hunter and Project A & Project A Part 2 look absolutely crazy good despite being 'low' resolution. I honestly prefer those than some 4k remasters I've seen. So it's not a tell all about the remaster, but still, it'll be crazy sharp.
Imagine what they would look like with a HDR layer applied to them.

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
Probably still a better film than Dark Phoenix. 😁
I'm in the odd group of people that considers 1 and 2 to not really be all that good. I...I just don't see what people liked about those. If anything they're barely better than 3, which considering how mediocre those first two were, just...doesn't seem so bad by comparison.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
I'm in the odd group of people that considers 1 and 2 to not really be all that good. I...I just don't see what people liked about those. If anything they're barely better than 3, which considering how mediocre those first two were, just...doesn't seem so bad by comparison.

Dark Phoenix is reviewing below Fant4stic.

That takes effort.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Below are the full details on the Bumblebee UHD replacement process:

Thank you for your continued patience while we address the audio issue you have been experiencing.

In response to Bumblebee UHD's picture and audio sync issues being observed on some playback platforms, we have determined we can tighten their alignment to remedy the audio sync lag issue. Audio sync lag was observed primarily with the English ATMOS track, but we are addressing all the audio tracks on the disc regardless.

The majority of consumers may never notice the sync issue, but unfortunately, the audio sync lag is exacerbated by viewing the film via the "ARC" (Audio Return Channel) port on TVs that output to a sound-bar or receiver. Compliance amongst TV manufacturer ARC implementation is not standardized, thus different set-ups will exhibit different and varying playback behavior, even if played back on the same set-up multiple times.

A replacement disc is already ready that will align the picture and audio sync better, but do note, it still may not remedy all the ARC playback set-ups in the market – we suggest consulting your manufacturer's documentation on how to align picture and audio sync if still experiencing lag.

Please mail your UHD Disc to the address below and include your shipping information.

Paramount Pictures
5555 Melrose Ave
Los Angeles, CA 90038
Attn: Customer Service
Re: Bumblebee

You just send them a disc in the mail with an address? Do you send the whole case or just the disc?

I didn't notice the issue on my disc, but I kind of want to send it in to be sure I don't have a defective one any way.