• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BdoUK

Oct 27, 2017
Louisville, KY
You just send them a disc in the mail with an address? Do you send the whole case or just the disc?

I didn't notice the issue on my disc, but I kind of want to send it in to be sure I don't have a defective one any way.

I just sent the disc with my return address inside. I also corresponded with them ahead of time and sent the tracking number to them which was probably overkill. Happy to report I have the corrected disc now and the sync issue has been fully resolved.

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017
I think it was scanned from 8K and then presented in 4K.

Honestly I kinda question the diminishing returns of doing an 8K scan, but this is Sony. Ever since the superbit DVD days they've been at the front of the line with big studio remasters for their classics. I guess they got the time and money to do something like that.
Sony is so consistent with their releases, it's great. I think an 8K scan is definitely worth it over a 4K scan when you're using 65mm. It's a lot more information than a normal 35mm frame. Baraka was also given an 8K scan when it was remastered I believe.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
il98lwti4u731.jpg

Holy shit that FFH cover is so bad

What a shame, since the Homecoming steelbook is damn good

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Got myself the blu-rays of The Sarah Connor Chronicles. I've never watched it, but I adore The Terminator, so I was all over it when I saw it at the price I paid. But it's shockingly bizarre that the audio is only Dolby Digital. Now the upside is, I finally have another blu-ray with surround sound on my outdated setup, but still. Why the hell is it only Dolby Digital, it's insane.

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
Why the hell is it only Dolby Digital, it's insane.
Assuredly that's because it was broadcast in Dolby Digital when it was on TV. No extra work needed to re-author or re-encode the audio, meaning a cost-savings to the studio.

Star Wars Rebels is another series I just finished watching, where all the audio across the seasons is Dolby Digital on the Blu-Rays.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Got myself the blu-rays of The Sarah Connor Chronicles. I've never watched it, but I adore The Terminator, so I was all over it when I saw it at the price I paid. But it's shockingly bizarre that the audio is only Dolby Digital. Now the upside is, I finally have another blu-ray with surround sound on my outdated setup, but still. Why the hell is it only Dolby Digital, it's insane.

I don't think the series is popular enough to warrant the expense needed to undergo adopting and translating the audio to much higher standard beyond the original masters.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's not that I mind, with my setup I'm not hearing the difference anyway. But it's so odd to see Dolby Digital still on blu-ray, last one I had with it was Pirates Curse of the Black Pearl back in... 2007?

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I received the blu-ray of Batman Ninja from a friend today and ordered the 4k releases of Blade Runner 2049 and 2001 A Space Odyssey. The old blu-ray of 2001 is already stunning, so very excited to see the new remaster.

Deleted member 11479

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Mmmm... look at these things.

Criterion showing some love for silents on Blu-ray, and four films in in one month! That's more than their usual yearly output!

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I received 2001 A Space Odyssey and Blade Runner 2049 two earlier today, should be a fun watch in Dolby Vision!

Häxan is finally getting a blu-ray treatment? Bloody finally!

Tanuki-Go

One Winged Slayer
Jul 21, 2018
US
Shout! Factory announced a ton of titles at their panel last night.

First up, their Scream Factory titles:

*** MAJOR ANNOUNCEMENT OF UPCOMING TITLES ***

We just revealed a whopping 20+ upcoming films in person at our San Diego Comic Con panel! The following list are the exciting Blu-rays in progress and all the details we have at the moment.

THE ABOMINABLE SNOWMAN (1957) – Early '50s chiller starring Peter Cushing (in his first film for Hammer Films). Expected release: Nov 2019.

BIG TROUBLE IN LITTLE CHINA (1986) – We aim to create the definitive release of one of John Carpenter's biggest and most beloved films in a 2-disc set. To raise the stakes, we'll be releasing a Collector's Edition and a Steelbook™ (both with the same content) simultaneously on the same date. Expected release: Nov or Dec 2019.

BODY PARTS (1991) – After losing his arm in a car accident, a criminal psychologist has it replaced with a limb that belonged to a serial killer. Jeff Fahey (The Lawnmower Man) stars in Eric Red's (Bad Moon) underrated flick. Expected Release: Jan 2020.

DR JEKYLL AND SISTER HYDE (1971) – This gender-bending excursion from Hammer Films is quite the trip! Ralph Bates stars in this thriller directed by Roy Ward Baker (The Vampire Lovers). Expected Release: Dec 2019.

DRACULA (1979) (Collector's Edition) – John Badham's slick and sophisticated telling of the legendary story flies into our midst in a 2-disc set. Includes a new transfer of the theatrical version as seen in theaters in 1979 with full color as well as the alternate director-approved version of the film created in 1991 for home video with a muted color palette. Expected Release: Nov 2019.

THE FAN (1981) – This often-overlooked '80s slasher film (which originally came out in theaters the same month as The Burning, Friday the 13th Part 2, Graduation Day and Happy Birthday to Me) stars Michael Biehn (Aliens) playing a deranged admirer who sets his sights on a Broadway star (screen legend Lauren Bacall). Score by Pino Donaggio (Dressed to Kill). Expected Release: Nov 2019.

THE FLY COLLECTION – The insect-morphing franchise buzzes into town in a complete set that includes the original terrors The Fly (1958), Return of the Fly (1959), Curse of the Fly (1965) as well as the horrifying reboots The Fly (1986) and The Fly II (1989). We're setting this packaging up just like we did recently for Critters and The Omen collections (Rigid slipcase, individual cases). Expected Release: Dec 2019.

LET'S SCARE JESSICA TO DEATH (1971) – This creepy, atmospheric and very underrated psychological cult classic from the early '70s makes its long-awaited Blu-ray format debut! Expected Release: Jan 2020.

MY BLOODY VALENTINE (1981) (Collector's Edition) – Don't have a heart attack but "Harry Warden" is back!! ❤ The original '80s slasher film receives more love and attention from us with a planned 2-Disc set. Expected Release: Feb 2020 — before Valentine's Day.

PET SEMATARY II (1992) (Collector's Edition) – Mary Lambert's entertaining follow up to her 1989 original film based on the Stephen King novel stars Edward Furlong (Brainscan), Anthony Edwards (Revenge of the Nerds) and Clancy Brown (The Shawshank Redemption). Expected Release: Feb 2020.

PROPHECY (1979) – Writer David Seltzer (The Omen) and Director John Frankenheimer (The Manchurian Candidate) spin a monstrous yarn about the dangers of environmental pollution in the deep woods of Maine. Robert Foxworth (Damien: Omen II) and Talia Shire (Rocky) star with horrifying monster makeup effects by Thomas Burman (Invasion of the Body Snatchers). Expected Release: Nov 2019.

ROAD GAMES (1981) (Collector's Edition) – Legendary Scream Queen Jamie Lee Curtis hits the roads with Stacy Keach (The New Mike Hammer) and a serial killer against a deserted Australian backdrop. From Director Richard Franklin (Psycho II, Patrick). Expected Release: Nov 2019.

SILVER BULLET (1985) (Collector's Edition) – A werewolf terrorizes a small New England town in this fang-baring film written by Stephen King. Stars Corey Haim (The Lost Boys), Everett McGill (Twin Peaks) and Gary Busey (The Buddy Holly Story). Expected Release: Dec 2019.

UNIVERSAL HORROR COLLECTION VOLUME III – Another round of early classic horror films are on tap with Tower of London (1939), Man Made Monster (1941), The Black Cat (1941) and Horror Island (1941). Expected Release: Dec 2019.

All releases are Region A for U.S. and Canadian Territories.

Also announced tonight: More Exclusive-to-Scream Factory NECA© action figures are coming soon!

NIGHT OF THE DEMONS – Last year we unleashed the limited-edition "Angela" character… but we all know she needs her friends to party with! Terrifying "Suzanne" and "Stooge" demons are ready to let loose and will be sold as a 2-pack with an expected release before Halloween 2019.

THE SLUMBER PARTY MASSACRE – The 1982 driller-killer slasher classic will see its central villain "Russ Thorn" getting the toy treatment. New Steelbook packaging plus a new 4K scan of the film is also in the works. Expected release date: Jan 2020.

Be the first to know when these become available to pre-order @ https://www.shoutfactory.com/blog/ne...omic-con-2019/

And if that weren't enough good news, we'll add some more! We have even more titles and deals in the works that should take us through the end of 2020 if all goes accordingly to plan. So if you didn't see one of your favorites here, it may very well be in progress for near year and announced in the future.

If you've made it this far, we definitely want to take this moment to sincerely thank you guys for the support and love during the last 7 seven years of Scream Factory. It's a rollercoaster of a brand as you know…and we couldn't do it without you! ❤

Then their Shout Select titles:

TWINS (1988) – Arnold Schwarzenegger and Danny DeVito star in this buddy comedy classic from producer and director Ivan Reitman. Expected release date: 2020.
THE WIZARD (1989) – Fred Savage stars in this family adventure that features the excitement and thrills of video game competition. Expected release date: 2020.
VERY BAD THINGS (1998) – Christian Slater, Cameron Diaz, and Jon Favreau star in this dark comedy from screenwriter and director Peter Berg. Expected release date: December 2019.
BREWSTER'S MILLIONS (1985) – Richard Pryor is Montgomery Brewster, a minor league baseball pitcher who discovers he has to blow $30 million in 30 days as a condition to inherit a much greater fortune. Expected release date: 2020
Super pumped for some of their horror offerings but I'm really interested how their release of The Wizard will go. That's a hugely nostalgic movie for me. lol

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I want those Universal horror films, but as far as I'm aware, they always region lock those releases :(

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Someone just needs to release Super Mario Bros in the US.

A movie that glorious shouldn't have the HD love limited to the UK.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
I'm actually a bit surprised that a boutique publisher like Shout hasn't picked it up for a North American run, esp given that the current release has a decent amount of special features and isn't just a barebones film print.

Region B is winning in this case. Esp with that steelbook.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't we just get a release of The Wizard? What's different about this one?

Tanuki-Go

One Winged Slayer
Jul 21, 2018
US
Didn't we just get a release of The Wizard? What's different about this one?

It will most likely have a far better transfer than the previous disc (of which I've heard is a pretty poor, bare-bones disc) and will have a good chunk of new bonus features if the other Shout Select titles are anything to go by.

OP
OP
KDash

KDash

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Picked up Shazam!. Can't wait to rewatch it. Haven't watched it since that Fandango fan event back in March. My older brother and dad haven't seen it yet, so I look forward to them finally watching it soon, too.

Obq1tZq.jpg

Word is that Disney is dumping three new Signature Collection Blu-Rays in September.

Aladdin is also 4K.
Guess it's finally time to upgrade those old DVDs I have of them.

Also just saw that a lot of Pixar movies are releasing in 4K soon. Also September 10th, apparently.
I'll definitely pick up Ratatouille and Finding Nemo, and I'll probably upgrade Brave since the copy I got from Goodwill has issues with two scenes.

Might also get Finding Dory and the Good Dinosaur, both of which I haven't watched yet. I'm happy with the free Blu-ray copy of Inside Out that I got from Disney Movie Rewards. Not sure I'll get the Cars movies. I remember liking them, but I don't know that I'd want to pay $30 each for them. Maybe during a good sale or something...

Last edited:

Deleted member 22585

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
I'm currently hunting for the Free Solo UHD. Native 4k with great image quality and the movie itself is highly praised. Can't wait to see it.

Oct 26, 2017
Netherlands
I need to track this down as well. It looks like Amazon has it in Germany. Need to keep digging. Let me know if you can find a source.
Got my copy in from Amazon earlier this week and gave it a watch. Some impressions:

Video
Comparing it to the included Blu-ray, the 4K HDR disc is definitely a significant upgrade. Colors pop a lot more (this is especially apparent in the sky and often the forest in the background. The detail is significantly improved, with close-ups really benefitting the most in the grand scheme of things. It really benefits from being shot in 4K and the actual DCP being presented in 4K as well.

The foremost thing to keep in mind with the presentation is that it's not gonna be a Planet Earth kind of presentation, due to both the material and the fact that most of the film is obviously produced with smaller-scale consumer cameras during the more complicated sequences. It's still a great looking film, but obviously, a Canon 1DX (which is a really great camera, don't get me wrong), is going to have much less of a dynamic range, but it's never something that really bothers you as you go through the film. The night scenes benefit from that bit of extra range and contrast, whilst the outdoor shots in the day are the biggest stars of the presentation.
____________________________________________________________________________________
Audio
On the audio front, Free Solo doesn't sport a fancy Atmos/DTS-X track, but it has a pretty strong DTS-HD 5.1 mix (English and German) that provides a good balance between the music, dialogue and subtle sounds throughout the film. Dialogue is clear and the music is well placed and balanced where it needs to be. An Atmos track probably wouldn't have done much for this film to begin with, but its 5.1 presentation is pretty much the best way to present the film.
____________________________________________________________________________________
Extras
The disc includes a featurette, interviews with the cast/crew, the theatrical trailer and the included booklet (which is in German).
Drawbacks
The only drawbacks I could really note in the grand scheme of things are the German text elements. The menus are in German (though this isn't much of an issue), but there's forced German subtitles when the names and titles of people are shown on screen (pretty largely I might add). These are on screen for a few seconds, so it didn't bother me too much, but it's a drawback none the less.
Verdict
If you want the best quality presentation, the German 4K release (or the digital 4K/HDR stream) are pretty much the way to go. It's not the most amazing presentation, but it's a notable improvement none the less.

Deleted member 22585

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
Got my copy in from Amazon earlier this week and gave it a watch. Some impressions:

Video
Comparing it to the included Blu-ray, the 4K HDR disc is definitely a significant upgrade. Colors pop a lot more (this is especially apparent in the sky and often the forest in the background. The detail is significantly improved, with close-ups really benefitting the most in the grand scheme of things. It really benefits from being shot in 4K and the actual DCP being presented in 4K as well.

The foremost thing to keep in mind with the presentation is that it's not gonna be a Planet Earth kind of presentation, due to both the material and the fact that most of the film is obviously produced with smaller-scale consumer cameras during the more complicated sequences. It's still a great looking film, but obviously, a Canon 1DX (which is a really great camera, don't get me wrong), is going to have much less of a dynamic range, but it's never something that really bothers you as you go through the film. The night scenes benefit from that bit of extra range and contrast, whilst the outdoor shots in the day are the biggest stars of the presentation.
Audio
On the audio front, Free Solo doesn't sport a fancy Atmos/DTS-X track, but it has a pretty strong DTS-HD 5.1 mix (English and German) that provides a good balance between the music, dialogue and subtle sounds throughout the film. Dialogue is clear and the music is well placed and balanced where it needs to be. An Atmos track probably wouldn't have done much for this film to begin with, but its 5.1 presentation is pretty much the best way to present the film.
Extras
The disc includes a featurette, interviews with the cast/crew, the theatrical trailer and the included booklet (which is in German).
Drawbacks
The only drawbacks I could really note in the grand scheme of things are the German text elements. The menus are in German (though this isn't much of an issue), but there's forced German subtitles when the names and titles of people are shown on screen (pretty largely I might add). These are on screen for a few seconds, so it didn't bother me too much, but it's a drawback none the less.
Verdict
If you want the best quality presentation, the German 4K release (or the digital 4K/HDR stream) are pretty much the way to go. It's not the most amazing presentation, but it's a notable improvement none the less.

Thanks for the impressions, my copy will arrive tomorrow and I'll watch it on the weekend.
I'm glad they went for native 4k, because there are soooo many 2k upscales out there.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
My dad really wants to watch Endgame and doesn't want to wait for the disc I ordered to come in, so I might have to get it digital for now but damn, last time I tried Vudu UHD on Apple TV, it looked like garbage

Anyone know what's up with Vudu streaming quality?

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
My dad really wants to watch Endgame and doesn't want to wait for the disc I ordered to come in, so I might have to get it digital for now but damn, last time I tried Vudu UHD on Apple TV, it looked like garbage

Anyone know what's up with Vudu streaming quality?

Vudu is usually considered one of the best streaming options. Have you tried another player? TV app, Xbox app, Roku app, cast to Chromecast Ultra?

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Vudu is usually considered one of the best streaming options. Have you tried another player? TV app, Xbox app, Roku app, cast to Chromecast Ultra?
That's so strange

When I stream 4k through iTunes, it looks great, but of course that option isn't available for Marvel flicks

EDIT: deleted, then reinstalled Vudu, and now it works as intended. I should have tried that the first time

Last edited:

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Just watched both Wreck it Ralph UHDs. They definitely have seriously disneyfied Atmos tracks, had to turn both p way past normal volumes.

OP
OP
KDash

KDash

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Tangled is getting a new release on September 10th along with all of those other Disney and Pixar movies previously posted, but sadly not in 4K. Just a Blu-ray + DVD + Digital combo pack, at least as far as I've seen. But the old release didn't include a digital copy (except the 3D version, which had a digital copy disc), so I guess that's something, at least.

7p6Amsv.jpg

Frozen 4K should be out on October 1st.
InRf4EK.png

XoMcr5h.jpg

mANEfBn.png

Last edited:

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
That's a nice steelbook for Frozen. Pretty abnormal to have a nice looking steelbook.