• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
It might not have been rendered in 4K.

Tangled wasn't traditional animation (which could be scanned), which means it would have to be re-rendered to be an improvement.

None of the CG movies were rendered in 4K but Pixar is putting practically everything else out on UHD though. I'm pretty sure Frozen wasn't rendered in 4K either too and that's getting released. I think the tangible gains are having it upscaled in the mastering process rather than having your TV/player do it, and the added benefit of HDR. What I'm curious though is how they achieve adding the HDR to it.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
10963.jpg

PaKino in 4K out on October 15th

Link for details

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
10960_tn.jpg

"Paramount spent over a year painstakingly restoring this treasured film, using the original nitrate negative along with two fine grain masters made in the 1940s. Each element was carefully scanned using the very latest technology to both preserve the delicate negative and create the best possible digital image. Fortunately, 13 of the 14 reels of the original negative survived, but portions had begun to deteriorate so the best image was selected from one of the three original sources on a shot-by-shot basis. The result is a more vibrant and detail-rich picture that brings this classic to life like never before."

Is this the first classic black and white film on the format?

Deleted member 22585

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
Just watched Alita Battle Angel UHD yesterday.

Generally rather soft image due to the 2k source and a lot of CGI. But it has some nice contrast and is generally a visually pleasing movie. But mostly due to the good character design and well done action scenes.
It was longer than expected and Alita felt way less weird and creepy than I expected. Very good movie. The strongest part for me were the action scenes. I love how it was cut it a way you can see everything, how Alita evolved her fighting style and that it felt somehow grounded despite it's CG nature.
That cliffhanger ending though.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I couldn't find any definitive source, so was hoping that the film was actually finished at 3.4k like it was shot. I should receive my steelbook tomorrow, very excited to rewatch the film again! Got myself The Foreigner and Bleeding Steel (both Jackie Chan films). It's really, really annoying that these types of films are rarely released here with English subtitles, but apparently the UK release dropped the original audio on Bleeding Steel and this one doesn't, but has only Dutch subtitles, and the US release apparently cut a bunch of the scenes so...

It's bloody 2019, and still we can not have decent, unaltered and feature complete releases of Asian films in the west:

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Deleted member 22585

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
Just watched Kingsman The Golden Circle UHD. What an awful, AWFUL looking movie!

The first one was visually fine, only 2k but still good looking. Nothing special, but a good 4k HDR TV produced a good image.
But this one is just ugly as hell. I don't even want to start with stuff like the orange skin tones and weird color grading. This movie is FULL of god awful looking CGI. Jesus christ, bad CGI all over the place, it all looks incredibly distracting and low poly. From the car chase in the beginning to the unbelievably bad villain jungle "lair". My first thought when they showed the area in front of the villain base, I was literally thinking "rendering dude forgot to turn on anisotropic filtering".
It's that bad.
The movie itself was worse than the first one but would still be kinda tolerable. But the CGI kills it. Worst UHD I've seen to date.
Avoid this flick at all costs if you care even just the slightest bit about the visuals of a movie.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
Ratatouille shall be mine.
Yeah I'm definitely grabbing that one right away.
Probably gonna have to spread out buying some of the others I likely will want though since Disney kind of overloaded these two months lol. With both Aladdins, all that Marvel, and all this Pixar so close together, not to mention other brand new movies coming around the same time like John Wick 3.

Just watched Alita Battle Angel UHD yesterday.

Generally rather soft image due to the 2k source and a lot of CGI. But it has some nice contrast and is generally a visually pleasing movie. But mostly due to the good character design and well done action scenes.
It was longer than expected and Alita felt way less weird and creepy than I expected. Very good movie. The strongest part for me were the action scenes. I love how it was cut it a way you can see everything, how Alita evolved her fighting style and that it felt somehow grounded despite it's CG nature.
That cliffhanger ending though.
Yup, I loved this movie so much and would want that unlikely sequel so bad (not to mention the stopping point makes me want another as well especially since there's supposed to be a lot of great stuff to come, though I haven't read the manga yet), also in addition to the stuff that was great that you mentioned I also really liked the character stuff with Alita and Ido, those two stars worked really well together setting up and developing her character.

Last edited:

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Just received my (purple) 4k steelbook of Alita Battle Angel. Very excited to rewatch it again, even if it's not the 4k disc I will watch.

Deleted member 22585

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
Yeah I'm definitely grabbing that one right away.
Probably gonna have to spread out buying some of the others I likely will want though since Disney kind of overloaded these two months lol. With both Aladdins, all that Marvel, and all this Pixar so close together, not to mention other brand new movies coming around the same time like John Wick 3.

Yup, I loved this movie so much and would want that unlikely sequel so bad (not to mention the stopping point makes me want another as well especially since there's supposed to be a lot of great stuff to come, though I haven't read the manga yet), also in addition to the stuff that was great that you mentioned I also really liked the character stuff with Alita and Ido, those two stars worked really well together setting up and developing her character.

Agree. The relationship and interactions between Alita and Ido were great, especially in the first half.
They did a great job with Alita, even her reaction to chocolate was very emotional hehe.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone here who can confirm what the audio on the Ash VS Evil Dead blu-rays is in the UK? The casing and the actual discs say Dolby TrueHD 7.1, but it seems my receiver gets a 5.1 signal, one that's done over optical fiber, which shouldn't be able to send the TrueHD signal without down sampling to 2.0.

All other discs I have that have TrueHD or other high resolution audio, they always down sample, so I have a bit of a suspicious this might not actually be HD audio on the UK release.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Sounds like End Game is another fairly mediocre release. On paper these films should be the absolute cream of the crop for AV quality but Disney just doesn't care enough.

Dave_6

Oct 25, 2017
Also sounds like Thor is DNR'd quite badly. :( Unfortunately mine are already on the way so hopefully the rest of these MCU releases are treated better.

Branson

Oct 27, 2017
Also sounds like Thor is DNR'd quite badly. :( Unfortunately mine are already on the way so hopefully the rest of these MCU releases are treated better.
I guess I don't understand why companies still do this. People buying these 4K releases care about this shit. I didn't think it was bad or even that noticeable in Winter Soldier so Im waiting on picking it up. I thought the regular BR looked pretty good still after watching it again this year.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
I guess I don't understand why companies still do this. People buying these 4K releases care about this shit. I didn't think it was bad or even that noticeable in Winter Soldier so Im waiting on picking it up. I thought the regular BR looked pretty good still after watching it again this year.

These are clearly being rushed out ahead of D+, where most films will live in 4K with download capability to subbers. The niche audience that demands physical will go for that option regardless, but the potential for 'other' impulse buyers is something to capitalize on quickly before promotion shifts hard to D+ subs.

Hence we get a big dump of next week and a smaller one in Oct. Shame though, as Disney has dropped the ball on all the 4K and Atmos disc releases regardless really. I mean I was shocked at how poor The Last Jedi sounded in Atmos(poor movie too if you ask me), but I held off seeing it until I could on my HT setup and whew...the remaster of Blade Runner Final Cut I watched right beforehand was like night and day stronger in terms of technical quality.

Oct 26, 2017
10960_tn.jpg

"Paramount spent over a year painstakingly restoring this treasured film, using the original nitrate negative along with two fine grain masters made in the 1940s. Each element was carefully scanned using the very latest technology to both preserve the delicate negative and create the best possible digital image. Fortunately, 13 of the 14 reels of the original negative survived, but portions had begun to deteriorate so the best image was selected from one of the three original sources on a shot-by-shot basis. The result is a more vibrant and detail-rich picture that brings this classic to life like never before."

Is this the first classic black and white film on the format?

Been waiting for this and Casablanca for so long. Glad to see this around the corner and in time ahead of the holidays. Awesome.

Branson

Oct 27, 2017
These are clearly being rushed out ahead of D+, where most films will live in 4K with download capability to subbers. The niche audience that demands physical will go for that option regardless, but the potential for 'other' impulse buyers is something to capitalize on quickly before promotion shifts hard to D+ subs.

Hence we get a big dump of next week and a smaller one in Oct. Shame though, as Disney has dropped the ball on all the 4K and Atmos disc releases regardless really. I mean I was shocked at how poor The Last Jedi sounded in Atmos(poor movie too if you ask me), but I held off seeing it until I could on my HT setup and whew...the remaster of Blade Runner Final Cut I watched right beforehand was like night and day stronger in terms of technical quality.
Yeah I know they are dumping everything and it's expensive as a marvel fan right now, but people over at Bluray.com are saying the regular BR has these issues too so it could just be baked in at the source and not something they added but more noticeable in 4K, and Disney being cheap and not doing much work to it at all. As usual I guess.

I don't really mind the rushed schedule except for the money part, as I'm sure it will still look better than streaming anyway. I don't see them doing different masters for D+. Except maybe Endgame not having a huge difference because they decided to use a god damn BD66. I'm still undecided on D+ because I don't need another sub.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
It's just weird (or maybe not) to watch Disney burn their most dedicated customers on the eve of asking everyone for a monthly sub.

Oct 26, 2017
Think I'll just cancel my steelbook Endgame for now then and just watch all this stuff on D+. I just need to stop buying stuff that do nothing but sit on shelves and collect dust period anyways

Branson

Oct 27, 2017
My BRs came in handy last week when I was out of internet for 3 days. I'm still going to support it as long as i can. I like looking at my collection on the shelf and picking out a movie.

OP
OP
KDash

KDash

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
New Star Wars Blu-ray + Digital releases are out September 22nd. There will also be DVD-only versions. No 4K versions as of yet. But these should be the first releases with digital codes for the original and prequel trilogies.

ZIQ3AYW.jpg

5DqUCBP.jpg

LLWHD8Q.jpg

ptGrff3.jpg

ZmscU5b.jpg

C3z9ldP.jpg

sjX8an2.jpg

RmOaPQ5.jpg

XmNFMNR.jpg

JB3j8mR.jpg

Deleted member 22585

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
Just watched Mission Impossible Fallout UHD.
Some very nice looking scenes like in the climax, and sometimes very detailled faces. Often looks kinda soft, which I believe was an artistic choice because there are some very sharp and impressive scenes that show it's possible.
Movie itself was fine, but I just didn't connect that much with the characters and found it rather bland - regarding the character interactions. The action scenes are great, but the story didn't grab me. Enjoyable watch, but forgettable.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I have the previous blu-ray set so I can live without the digital for now, so I think I'm just going to wait for the eventual 4K HDR versions since I know I'm definitely going to want to upgrade.

Agree. The relationship and interactions between Alita and Ido were great, especially in the first half.
They did a great job with Alita, even her reaction to chocolate was very emotional hehe.
Oh yeah lol, that was a great little moment thanks to both her and the great animation.

Also, I completely agree with how you highlighted how well you could really see all the action and fighting moves in the action scenes in this, that was so well done.

Dave_6

Oct 25, 2017
My copies of 4K Thor, Iron Man etc are actually showing up today so I'll check each one out ASAP. Hopefully Thor isn't as bad as I've read and the others aren't messed up either.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The Alita (regular) blu-ray looks absolutely terrific. I can't comment on the 3D and 4k transfers, doubt I'll ever will regarding the 3D transfer unfortunately, but I hope to see the 4k version in a few weeks. This film is way better than it unfortunately got. Because lord, I need that sequel.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
The Alita (regular) blu-ray looks absolutely terrific. I can't comment on the 3D and 4k transfers, doubt I'll ever will regarding the 3D transfer unfortunately, but I hope to see the 4k version in a few weeks. This film is way better than it unfortunately got. Because lord, I need that sequel.
Nice, I thought the 4K HDR disc looked pretty fantastic too so I think you'll enjoy seeing it again whenever the time comes.
Yup, I really want that sequel. Wish it had done better because those who did go I think, for the most part, came away pretty impressed even if it's not perfect. Which was cool to see and it felt like it had decent legs even if it mostly just pulled even probably.

Haven't gotten the chance to try the 3D disc yet on my other set since my main TV doesn't have 3D anymore ever since my oled upgrade, but the 3D and 3D IMAX back in the theater was awesome so I expect it to be good if/whenever I ever get around to it.

Last edited:

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I saw the film in 3D in theater and thought the 3D was terrific, it was really natural which helped a ton. But the home experience isn't in the cards, especially now that 3D isn't really a thing anymore at home. At least, not being sold as part of 4k sets, which look so much better with 3D than normal HDTV's did. But oh well, that's the market for ya. The 4k I've heard mixed things about, but if it managed to resolve some of the contrasty parts midway, I'll be sound as a pound.

I believe the overall budget was around ~175 million total and it managed ~$405 million world wide, so the film most likely scraped by making a profit (double original production cost to consider marketing). Maybe ever so slightly enough to make a sequel at Fox, but now that it's Disney, there's not nearly enough reason for them to every consider it when compared to their other works which rake in billions each release.

Chances of a sequel now are mostly likely linked to the success of the Avatar sequels and if Jim is up to flex his muscles around at Disney to force a sequel if they proof to be successful. Considering it was his passion project for so ridiculously long, I do think he might try it still. But I'm so afraid of what the Avatar sequels will do. Especially considering he's pumping four of them out in such a short while and I doubt anyone still cares so much about them.

Eggiem

Oct 27, 2017
I know this is a long shot, but:

What are some US exclusive 4k blurays you would recommend getting? My friend is in the US and could take some of them back to Germany.

ATM I found:
COCO,
Hereditary,
Hell Or High Water

are there some others?

OP
OP
KDash

KDash

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Got Enchanted on Saturday, and Avengers: Endgame and the Pirates of the Caribbean movies today. Also have Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales and The Jungle Book (live-action) coming in the mail from Disney Movie Rewards.

4vzGK98.jpg

Westonian

Oct 27, 2017
Watched the last act of End Game 4K disc last night. Happy to report it seems like Disney has finally stopped muting their audio mixes. Visually I thought it looked fine. Great HDR, and as sharp as a 2K upscale is going to look. Glad I bought it for the audio alone. Still a long way before streaming catches up on that front.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
I despise the day I bought my first steelbook.

Thinking I'm out with them but I'll finish up the Marvel run. All the new stuff arrived and Iron man, Iron Man 2, and Thor were all either dented or had a weird crease in the front. Naturally I couldn't tell until I opened them.

Branson

Oct 27, 2017
They should put the Pirates movies in 4K. Also the 2004 Hellboy was finally announced recently for UHD with both cuts. Going to pick up Endgame after work today.

Oct 26, 2017
My steelbook copy of Endgame is waiting for me at bestbuy but I don't know if I have it in me to fork $40ish dollars for something that will spend more time sitting on a shelf than not

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Would be nice to see them finally upgraded, even if it'll just be an HDR pass most likely. I'm not seeing them scanning the film in again.

I'm curious if we'll ever get 4k transfers that are a mix match of 2k and 4k elements, but from the same (re)mastering. The Mummy (Returns) was made in the time they still physically printed the CG stuff on film and straight into the camera negative reels, and while a dip in quality absolutely occurs during the CG shots, it all still looks absolutely terrific. But I don't think a film with a (2k) digital intermediate has had the luxury of getting the rescan treatment and have it be (partially) reconstructed.

So far that seems to only be done on TV shows which were edited on tape and brought to HD. The X-Files is a crazy good upgrades despite some really low quality stuff on occasion. Something similar for films would be great imo.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Don't think I'll get the End Game steel, artwork is not particularly good. That's the problem with a lot of steels actually, seems like a lot of people just buy them for the sake of it even if they're ugly.

The Detective Pikachu steelbook looks fantastic however.

Branson

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah the standard is actually fine to me. I only accidentally bought the steel of Law Abiding Citizen because it was cheap.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
My steelbook copy of Endgame is waiting for me at bestbuy but I don't know if I have it in me to fork $40ish dollars for something that will spend more time sitting on a shelf than not
Don't think I'll get the End Game steel, artwork is not particularly good. That's the problem with a lot of steels actually, seems like a lot of people just buy them for the sake of it even if they're ugly.

The Detective Pikachu steelbook looks fantastic however.
Yeah it's a weak cover, but I couldn't not have considering I have the IW steelbook already lol

Too bad the cover for the Winter Soldier 4K steelbook is lame too

LinkSlayer64

One Winged Slayer
Jun 6, 2018
Hi all, sorry if this sort of thing has been answered, but with 4K/Blu Ray bundles, do both discs typically have the special features, or is it a per movie determination?
I don't have a 4K player, and I'm not looking to upgrade, but the Detective Pikachu steelbook just has me too enamored lol, however, my girlfriend and I definitely want to check out all the special features, and if they're not on the bluray, that would be quite sad.

Thanks!

Branson

Oct 27, 2017
Hi all, sorry if this sort of thing has been answered, but with 4K/Blu Ray bundles, do both discs typically have the special features, or is it a per movie determination?
I don't have a 4K player, and I'm not looking to upgrade, but the Detective Pikachu steelbook just has me too enamored lol, however, my girlfriend and I definitely want to check out all the special features, and if they're not on the bluray, that would be quite sad.

Thanks!
Usually the 4K disk only has the movie as it takes up most of it and doesn't leave room for special features. The BR usually has it. I don't know specifically about DP though but that's how it usually is.

You can check Blu-ray.com for the specs of a certain disk.