• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

LinkSlayer64

One Winged Slayer
Jun 6, 2018
Usually the 4K disk only has the movie as it takes up most of it and doesn't leave room for special features. The BR usually has it. I don't know specifically about DP though but that's how it usually is.

You can check Blu-ray.com for the specs of a certain disk.
I see now, I just needed to dig deeper, being on different editions sent me for a spin, thank you so much! (You were correct by the way!)

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
They should put the Pirates movies in 4K. Also the 2004 Hellboy was finally announced recently for UHD with both cuts. Going to pick up Endgame after work today.
Yeah I have the 4K disc for the most recent one so I'd certainly double dip for the rest. Definitely picking up Hellboy when it finally comes.

I know this is a long shot, but:

What are some US exclusive 4k blurays you would recommend getting? My friend is in the US and could take some of them back to Germany.

ATM I found:
COCO,
Hereditary,
Hell Or High Water

are there some others?
I'm not really sure what's exclusive so I don't really know what to add, but COCO was a great-looking disc (maybe not as poppy HDR as some others but really great fleshed out color, I thought it looked awesome). Really good movie too.
Don't have the Hell or High Water 4K disc yet, since I'd gotten the regular blu-ray so soon before the 4K finally got announced, but the movie was very cool and I could see this kind of movie looking quite good in HDR/Dolby Vision HDR, which it seemingly has in addition to regular HDR10, so I may still eventually double dip.

Eggiem

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I have the 4K disc for the most recent one so I'd certainly double dip for the rest. Definitely picking up Hellboy when it finally comes.

I'm not really sure what's exclusive so I don't really know what to add, but COCO was a great-looking disc (maybe not as poppy HDR as some others but really great fleshed out color, I thought it looked awesome). Really good movie too.
Don't have the Hell or High Water 4K disc yet, since I'd gotten the regular blu-ray so soon before the 4K finally got announced, but the movie was very cool and I could see this kind of movie looking quite good in HDR/Dolby Vision HDR, which it seemingly has in addition to regular HDR10, so I may still eventually double dip.
Thanks for your recommendation!

I forget to edit my post. I found some more.

US exclusive 4K UHDs are:
Coco
Hereditary
Hell or high water
Love, Simon
The Witch
Moonlight
The 2 old Tomb Raider movies with Angelina Jolie

Maybe more. I just checked Amazon.com.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The two Tomb Raider 4k films are also in other regions. I know for a fact it's in the UK as well and am pretty sure that Germany also had it.

chairhome

Oct 27, 2017
Orlando
Was watching the 4k Detective Pikachu on Vudu and it seemed really grainy. I know some film grain is intentional but I wonder if my tv settings got screwed up...

OP
OP
KDash

KDash

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
So, I finally did it. I joined the Disney Movie Club.

I used a code to get five movies for $1, and then got two extra movies for $20. Two of them are 2-packs, so I should be getting nine movies in the mail. Nice.

I got the club exclusive Blu-rays of A Goofy Movie, An Extremely Goofy Movie, and the 2-pack of Saludos Amigos and Three Caballeros, plus The Rescuers movie 2-pack, and the Signature Edition of Pinocchio as the five movies for $1, and added Peter Pan Signature Edition and WALL-E as the two bonus movies.

I also see a lot of stuff I want to buy already in the store. Rest in peace, wallet...

Deleted member 22585

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
Finally watched the Logan UHD. Very sharp native 4k presentation and natural colors. Visually very appealing movie.
But it didn't grab me that much story wise. It has some good acting and is well made though. Was an ok watch.
Guess it would've had a greater impact if I'd remember the other movies but I didn't really pay attention, will rewatch them though.

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
1) which has the better 4K/HDR image quality, Black Hawk Down or Gladiator

2) same question, Lucy or Passengers?...Passengers was shot at 6.5K with a 4K DI so I thought it would easily beat Lucy but a lot of people seem to prefer Lucy

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
I despise the day I bought my first steelbook.

Thinking I'm out with them but I'll finish up the Marvel run. All the new stuff arrived and Iron man, Iron Man 2, and Thor were all either dented or had a weird crease in the front. Naturally I couldn't tell until I opened them.

Steelbook collecting is actually terrible, easily one of the most annoying hobbies I've tried to get into. No joke it feels like there's a 50% you're receive one with a scratch/scuff/dent even if you pick up from the store yourself and they're shrink wrapped. Then there's the price gouging, low stock and region specific versions. I really want to the new Toy Story and upcoming Ratatouille steels but the price to get them over to Australia is ridiculous and then there's a huge chance they'll arrive damaged in some way anyway. I mean even trying to stack them on a shelf next to each other without protection scratches them.

That said I just picked up the Detective Pikachu steelbook and it's in nice condition and looks incredible.

woo

Nov 11, 2017
1) which has the better 4K/HDR image quality, Black Hawk Down or Gladiator

2) same question, Lucy or Passengers?...Passengers was shot at 6.5K with a 4K DI so I thought it would easily beat Lucy but a lot of people seem to prefer Lucy

2) Passengers blew me away with how good it looked but I was rather disappointed in Lucy.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Steelbook collecting is actually terrible, easily one of the most annoying hobbies I've tried to get into. No joke it feels like there's a 50% you're receive one with a scratch/scuff/dent even if you pick up from the store yourself and they're shrink wrapped. Then there's the price gouging, low stock and region specific versions. I really want to the new Toy Story and upcoming Ratatouille steels but the price to get them over to Australia is ridiculous and then there's a huge chance they'll arrive damaged in some way anyway. I mean even trying to stack them on a shelf next to each other without protection scratches them.

That said I just picked up the Detective Pikachu steelbook and it's in nice condition and looks incredible.

Yea I got into it recently when the Winter Soldier 4K disc released. Figured I may as well grab the other MCU discs to match.

Ugh. I mean they are kind of neat, but are way overpriced and most now hard to locate without paying big money on eBay.

Plus you have the dent issue. I just grabbed the recent Ironman and Thor releases but have yet to open them and see if there are shipping scratches or such. My Captain Marvel disc arrived practically destroyed, both bent and scratched for whatever reason. At least BB was good about replacing, but it's one of my dumbest hobby choices for sure.

It's weird too, I have abandoned physical media for everything but these dumb discs. With D+ coming too I dunno what I'm even doing.

Branson

Oct 27, 2017
Yea I got into it recently when the Winter Soldier 4K disc released. Figured I may as well grab the other MCU discs to match.

Ugh. I mean they are kind of neat, but are way overpriced and most now hard to locate without paying big money on eBay.

Plus you have the dent issue. I just grabbed the recent Ironman and Thor releases but have yet to open them and see if there are shipping scratches or such. My Captain Marvel disc arrived practically destroyed, both bent and scratched for whatever reason. At least BB was good about replacing, but it's one of my dumbest hobby choices for sure.

It's weird too, I have abandoned physical media for everything but these dumb discs. With D+ coming too I dunno what I'm even doing.
Appreciating the quality of movies is what you're doing. It's easy to forget how good the format can help once you go streaming but it can be eye opening sometimes. Every time I pop in a disk I go "wow no wonder I invest" and sometimes buy more lol.

OP
OP
KDash

KDash

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Got these two free movies in the mail from Disney Movie Rewards. This completes my Pirates of the Caribbean collection.

cnlbeBZ.jpg

Now I'm just waiting for the stuff I ordered from Disney Movie Club...

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Got myself The Lego Movie in 4k today, I was still planning on purchasing the film, so it was a nice surprise when I came across it for ten euro.

Westonian

Oct 27, 2017
Just got an email from Disney Movie Club. They just released The Black Hole on Blu-ray! I have never ordered something so fast. I think this makes only two movies I'm still waiting for: Song of the South (will never happen) and The Black Cauldron.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Just got an email from Disney Movie Club. They just released The Black Hole on Blu-ray! I have never ordered something so fast. I think this makes only two movies I'm still waiting for: Song of the South (will never happen) and The Black Cauldron.

Black Cauldron has a 1080p encode for streaming so Disney must have it scanned.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I still have a hard time understanding how not all the Classics have even been released on Blu-ray yet, but they started pumping out 4k releases of the more beloved ones and to tie in with the new remakes. I get some don't have the same demand, but at least finish up the list. Having a couple of missing titles when you number the blu-rays is the absolute worst, because I can't fill them up.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Avengers end game in 4k looks brilliant on my oled, i bought the disc a few days ago. detective pikachu left me less impressed. The hdr was great on my oled, particularly with the neon signs set against rhyme cities dark streets, but the image quality left a lot to be desired. I plan on buying the iron man trilogy, and thor 1 and 2 next week to add to my 4k mcu collection

NealMcCauley

Oct 27, 2017
Just ordered my 4k copy of Apocalypse Now from BB. Had a $5 certificate so it was only $19 and change.

Also, best steelbook art ever:

10992_tn.jpg

woo

Nov 11, 2017
Avengers end game in 4k looks brilliant on my oled, i bought the disc a few days ago. detective pikachu left me less impressed. The hdr was great on my oled, particularly with the neon signs set against rhyme cities dark streets, but the image quality left a lot to be desired. I plan on buying the iron man trilogy, and thor 1 and 2 next week to add to my 4k mcu collection

I am re-watching all the Marvel movies from phase one onwards and really enjoyed the 3 Iron Man movies. IIRC IM3 4K had the best image quality of the three but that is not to say that the first two were bad by any means. I have Winter Soldier to finish tonight. I hadn't watched it in awhile and I had forgotten what a great movie it is. At current pace, I might not get through them all before Endgame releases in the UK in early September. I am pre-ordering that bad boy so hard though! :D

OP
OP
KDash

KDash

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Toy Story 4 is out October 8th. I've read that it was rendered in 4K, but I cannot confirm that. But it did look absolutely gorgeous in theaters.

MMJa12d.jpg

BONUS FEATURES (may vary by retailer)
Blu-ray & Digital:

• 'Toy Stories – The Toy Story 4 cast and crew share their love of toys!
  • Woody & Buzz – Take a look at the relationship between these two legendary characters.
  • Bo Rebooted – Discover how Team Bo reimagined all aspects of Bo Peep's identity to arrive at the fully realized character seen in the film.
  • Toy Box – Enjoy a collection of mini-docs on the film's memorable new characters, featuring the voice actors, director Josh Cooley and Pixar artists talking about the many elements that make these characters fun and lovable
  • Let's Ride With Ally Maki – Ally Maki, voice of Giggle McDimples, learns all about Pixar's dialogue recording process from director Josh Cooley and his team.
  • Deleted Scenes introduced by director Josh Cooley including:
  • Scamming Playtime
  • Bo Knows Hippos
  • Desperate Toys
  • Knock-Offs
  • Recruit Duke
  • She's The One
  • Audio Commentary, Trailers and more!
Digital Exclusive:

• Anatomy of a Scene: Prologue - Filmmakers and crew review key scenes of the movie and dissect the practical and technological methods used to bring them to life.
  • Additional Deleted scene – Bonnie's Playtime

Product Specifications
Product SKUs: Digital = 4K UHD, HD, SD
Physical = 4K Ultra HD Combo Pack (4K UHD+Blu-ray Feature+Blu-ray Bonus +Digital Code),
Multi-Screen Edition (Blu-ray Feature+Blu-ray Bonus+DVD+Digital Code) and DVD
Feature Run Time: Approximately 100 minutes
Rating: G in U.S. and Canada
Aspect Ratio: 2.39:1
Audio: 4K UHD Blu-ray = English Dolby Atmos, English, Spanish and French 7.1 Dolby Digital Plus, English
5.1 Dolby Digital, English 2.0 Dolby Digital, English 2.0 Descriptive Audio
Blu-ray = English 7.1 DTS-HDMA, English 5.1 DTS-HDHR, English 2.0 Dolby Digital, Spanish
and French 5.1 Dolby Digital, English 2.0 Descriptive Audio
DVD = English, Spanish and French 5.1 Dolby Digital, English 2.0 Dolby Digital,
English 2.0 Descriptive Audio
4K UHD Digital = English Dolby Atmos (platform dependent), English 7.1 (platform dependent),
English, Spanish & French 5.1, English, Spanish & French 2.0
HD Digital = English 7.1 (platform dependent), English, Spanish & French 5.1,
English, Spanish & French 2.0
Subtitles: 4K UHD Blu-ray = English SDH, Spanish and French Subtitles
Blu-ray = English SDH, Spanish and French Subtitles
DVD = English SDH, Spanish and French Subtitles (French subtitles are on Canadian DVD only)
Closed Captions: English (DVD and Digital)

Whitemex

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I ordered the John Wick 3 Steelbook combo from Best Buy with a digital code steelbook. Does anyone know if the regular Steelbook Will come with digital code as well? I'm thinking I could sell it to offset the cost

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Just ordered my 4k copy of Apocalypse Now from BB. Had a $5 certificate so it was only $19 and change.

Also, best steelbook art ever:

10992_tn.jpg
Oh my god. That is amazing.

On Toy Story 4:
Bo Rebooted – Discover how Team Bo reimagined all aspects of Bo Peep's identity to arrive at the fully realized character seen in the film.
More like, discover how Team Bo watched Mad Max Fury Road.

Last edited:
OP
OP
KDash

KDash

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Internet and cable are down at my house. Possibly the neighborhood.

It's time like these why having Blu-rays is great.

Plus the better video and audio...

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
First thing that struck me watching TS4 is how much better it looked than 3. If it's a 4K master then the UHD version is going to be insane.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017

I want The Black Hole but haven't done the club before and am struggling to pick through the movie selection.

Son of Liberty

Production
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
California
I got Apocalypse Now in the mail today.
I didn't know it was a 6-disc set and it included all three versions of the film in 4K.
I thought it was going to be like Blade Runner: Final Cut where we only got that version on 4K and not the rest.
But I'm not complaining, it was a nice surprise for sure.

The case itself is very nice, especially for a set that cost around $20.
I really love the artwork. I believe Mondo sold posters of it recently, I wish I would've gotten one of them.

I can't wait to watch it tonight, however I do wish I had an OLED TV already because I think a film like Apocalypse Now would benefit greatly from that type of screen. Right now I have a Samsung KS8000 and while it's a very solid TV, it does suffer a bit during dark scenes. I'm looking to upgrade in the near future though so I ain't too bothered.

Last edited:

NealMcCauley

Oct 27, 2017
As much as I love having AN on 4k I wish I hadn't seen it on imax less than a week ago. Now I want a bigger tv and new sound receiver haha.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Got myself the Johnny English trilogy in Germany yesterday, mostly as a present for my stepdad. Curious if anyone knows why the hell the first two have like 15 subtitle languages while the third two has English, German and Italian? It's so odd that all three discs are produced by the exact same company and what not. Yet the third one drops a ton of subs just because? It's so odd that they've seemingly gone out of their way for the first two, yet the third one?
It's a good thing the films are mostly physical comedy, since my stepdad doesn't understand much English and always has Dutch subs.

The Wizard of Oz is coming to 4K Blu-ray on October 29th!

srFOZvn.jpg
That's one ugly ass cover, but extremely excited to see this happen. Here's hoping that Gone With The Wind also comes this year for its 80th anniversary as well!

Last edited:

NealMcCauley

Oct 27, 2017
Just ordered John Wick 3 4k via Vudu's disc+digital. I think they might have run out of initial stock because the option was gone over the weekend.

OP
OP
KDash

KDash

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Watched part of Fantasia on VHS, since it's the only version I have. VHS tapes really do not hold up, even on a CRT where they don't look as bad. I really need to get the Blu-ray. Seems like the UK releases are cheaper and region-free, so I might get the 2-Movie Collection soon. Seems like a lot of the special features are only on the DVDs, though, which aren't included in the UK release...but there's some BD-live thing to watch them? Not even sure that works anymore.

I also watched a minute or two of Black Cauldron on VHS. I might order the DVD since it seems like they might never release it on Blu-ray...

In for Moana.

How is the Little Mermaid 4k Blu-Ray, worth it?
Blu-ray.com gave it a great review. I only popped my copy in for a moment to check it, so I can't make any real comments myself, but it seemed to look and sound good from what little I saw.