• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
KDash

KDash

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
More Disney Blu-rays. Close to owning all of the movies from Walt Disney Animation Studios and Pixar.

4PUSF7K.jpg

For Walt Disney Animation Studios, I need...
-Fantasia
-Dumbo
-Make Mine Music (DVD only)
-Fun and Fancy Free
-Melody Time (DVD only, have on VHS)
-The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad
-The Aristocats
-The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh (have on VHS)
-The Fox and the Hound
-The Black Cauldron (DVD only)
-Oliver and Company (have on VHS)
-Fantasia 2000
-Dinosaur
-Lilo & Stitch
-Home on the Range
-Chicken Little

For Pixar, I need...
-Up
-Toy Story 4

That's not counting movies I have on DVD and plan to upgrade to Blu-ray/4K Ultra HD Blu-ray.

The two Fantasia movies come bundled together. There are also bundles with The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad/Fun and Fancy Free and The Fox and the Hound/Oliver and Company, so I'll likely get those. Fun and Fancy Free is only available through the bundle on Blu-ray, but The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad is available on its own.

Blu-ray/DVD Disney collection so far...

vL3gMHj.jpg

Last edited:

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Atlantis and Treasure Planet are animated kino

Too bad about Far From Home's audio. Seeing as how it isn't a knock out of a disc, I'll just wait till it goes on sale digitally

OP
OP
KDash

KDash

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Yeah, I've been reading about the 4K disc's Atmos audio issues for the past few days on Blu-ray.com. It sucks, but oh well...still have it coming in the mail. We did the disc + digital from Vudu for the first time ever, so we got the digital copy now, and have the disc coming in the mail soon. I hear that the audio on the regular Blu-ray is much, much better. I mostly watch stuff on a 1080p HDTV with a 5.1 system anyway, so I'll just watch that version.

Last edited:

NealMcCauley

Oct 27, 2017
Seems like there was some kind of error when I pre-ordered the Shining steelbook last week. Never shipped or processed payment by yesterday so I cancelled the order. Found a copy in stores on lunch break so that worked out. Gonna watch tonight.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Seems like there was some kind of error when I pre-ordered the Shining steelbook last week. Never shipped or processed payment by yesterday so I cancelled the order. Found a copy in stores on lunch break so that worked out. Gonna watch tonight.
Going by caps-a-holic, the transfer is absolutely terrific, but ever so slightly zoomed in compared to the old release. Just a shame they skipped out on original audio.

Steelbooks are nothing but pain.
I absolutely love a lot of them, but yeah, absolutely. I usually just get the regular packaged one. Though on occasion I deliberately go for steelbooks. Alita Battle Angel had a lovely purple steelbook, though I really need to get that black one some day. They're so beautiful.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
I'm a hypocrite, bought JW3, Detective Pikachu and Godzilla steels in the last month. Two of the three were scratched before the bubble wrap was taken off, never in doubt.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Guys I bought 5 steelbooks today because I'm a stupid person that can't ever learn a lesson.

Don't feel bad; I picked up 8 steelbooks today.

Steelbooks are nothing but pain.

Agreed and fortunately in general their art sucks so it makes it easy to skip over. The artwork has to be either super amazing on the steelbook or super bad on the standard. Like all the recent Marvel and Disney catalog releases have been awful for the standard forcing me to pick up the steelbook version. Or other catalog titles like The Shini...

Then I saw The Shining which honestly isn't that great of a steelbook and it's in the bag. Ugh.

Nevermind...

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017

I think the Shining fits this. The steelbook art is ok.. and the standard is ugly. I might be misreading your darkknightesque sense of humor and subtlety.

Also I have to remember that Steelbooks take up a little bit more shelf space every time. Perhaps worst of the steelbook pain (other than physical damage) is when a foreign version has better art, or there is a Blu-ray only with fabulous art and an UHD that's in some way worse.

And while I'm ranting, the SUV entertainment center that I PAID $5000 EXTRA DOLLARS FOR HAS A DVD PLAYER.

Oh heck I'll just pile on. I think I also decided to spend ~$6000 on a new TV today while I was at Best Buy. My job is doing crappy and I'm gonna blow it up on a TV because we already established that I'm not a very smart person and my self control obviously doesn't exist.

Last edited:

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
They definitely take up more space, especially when it's basically mandatory SC protectors in them unless you want them scratched up from rubbing against each other.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
They definitely take up more space, especially when it's basically mandatory SC protectors in them unless you want them scratched up from rubbing against each other.

Let them scratch. If I start putting protectors on them my wife will have me committed and then they won't get protectors anyways because I will be locked up.

NealMcCauley

Oct 27, 2017
Going by caps-a-holic, the transfer is absolutely terrific, but ever so slightly zoomed in compared to the old release. Just a shame they skipped out on original audio.

About 40 minutes in and yeah the pq is a stunner. I never noticed the helicopter blades during the Overlook's establishing shot before haha.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Let them scratch. If I start putting protectors on them my wife will have me committed and then they won't get protectors anyways because I will be locked up.

Yeah I never had protectors on mine and they all look like crap now. I mean it kind of defeats the purpose when the whole point of getting the steel in the first place is for the looks. Not to mention they seem to be getting more and more expensive , and you can rarely get them for discount like regulars because they sell out before that happens.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
How about the TS4 steel when they literally just released their entire back catalog with a clear theme.

OP
OP
KDash

KDash

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
I only have four steelbooks. Back to the Future trilogy, Batman Begins, E.T. the Extra Terrestrial, and Top Gun. And I only bought one myself. Not really itching to get any more steelbooks.

I just stick to regular editions, and the occasional Target exclusive.

I have the Target versions of Aladdin (1992), The Lion King (1994), Sleeping Beauty, Ralph Breaks the Internet, Incredibles 2, Rogue One: A Star Wars Story, Star Wars: The Last Jedi, Justice League, Logan, Spider-Man: Homecoming, Thor: Ragnarok, Black Panther, Avengers: Infinity War, Captain Marvel, and Avengers: Endgame.

I'm currently debating whether to get the standard edition of Toy Story 4 (from Disney Movie Club with a free lithograph) or the Target version.

Oct 25, 2017
Well I went out and bought the Steel Book for the Shining. Wish they would have used the original poster art, but at least the steel book has the same coloring and a similar theme. I can't stand the regular versions cover art.

The movie is gorgeous and I'm glad to finally own it in 4K. Now I just need to get The Thing in 4K and I can die happy.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Doctor strange had a dent.. other 4 ok. Ugh.. do I replace it?

Last Marvel run it was like half so I said fuck it.

I also got no shelf space back b/c I had 3D Blu-rays of all the movies except Shining. And 3D actually looks go good on my LG OLED.

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
Guys I bought 5 steelbooks today because I'm a stupid person that can't ever learn a lesson.
Yeah, it's the same loophole I can't get out of. I know I can save $5 every movie, but I just can't help but put the steelbook version in my cart. No one appreciates the steelbook in my circle (nor do they care), but the studios appreciate the extra $5.

This may be the day I quit buying steelbooks (yeah, right).

For those that have watched Far From Home, is the Atmos mix as lame as Blu-Ray.com states it is? If so, that's a downright shame, 'cause Homecoming's mix is fantastic.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Unsure if I should get the 4k of The Shining. While I did get 2001, for reasons that are probably obvious. I just know that with a year or two, there'll most likely be a full 4k Kubrick set, and I'm honestly not that interested in having them double (nor the terrible new art, but that's besides the point).

OP
OP
KDash

KDash

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Audio on the 4K disc for Spider-Man: Far From Home seems fine on my system...but I only have a 5.1 setup (with a Sony STR-DH550 receiver). Didn't have to turn up the volume any above normal, which is one complaint I saw.

I only watched a few minutes throughout a few scenes, though.

BdoUK

Oct 27, 2017
Louisville, KY
Audio on the 4K disc for Spider-Man: Far From Home seems fine on my system...but I only have a 5.1 setup (with a Sony STR-DH550 receiver). Didn't have to turn up the volume any above normal, which is one complaint I saw.

I only watched a few minutes throughout a few scenes, though.

I also thought it sounded fine on my 5.4.2 Atmos setup. I didn't even really need to crank the volume that much.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
So it seems that Disney Movie Rewards became Disney Movie Insiders... and all my points are gone. There is zero disk redemption history also, and I just redeemed a disk super recently.

Anyone else?

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
So it seems that Disney Movie Rewards became Disney Movie Insiders... and all my points are gone. There is zero disk redemption history also, and I just redeemed a disk super recently.

Anyone else?

They sent an e-mail about this and the points are supposed to get migrated over at some point.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
They sent an e-mail about this and the points are supposed to get migrated over at some point.

It's so bizarre.. Even my Spider-man Far From Home points are gone.

Toy Story 4 code also didn't work, which was something I tried before I realized everything was gone. It also seems they eliminated phone support.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
It's so bizarre.. Even my Spider-man Far From Home points are gone.

Toy Story 4 code also didn't work, which was something I tried before I realized everything was gone.

I just logged in and noticed I have points on my account although I'm not sure if it's the right amount or not. I didn't pay attention to what my balance was before the change over. I have read people having issues with Toy Story 4 though so that might be a different issue.

Edit:

If you click in the upper left where your points should be, go to point history. Does it say anything there?

OP
OP
KDash

KDash

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
There have been a lot of complaints about Disney Movie Insiders online. Been keeping up with it on the Blu-ray.com forums.

All of my points transferred (all 38 points left after I used 2000+ on the final Rewards sale to get eight Blu-rays), but I haven't tried redeeming anything yet since there are no rewards I'm interested in at the moment, and there are just too many complaints about redemption issues. I'll wait a few weeks before I do anything, I think.

Anyway, I'm waiting on my recent order from Disney Movie Club to arrive. I got the Lilo & Stitch 2-Disc Big Wave Edition DVD along with the Blu-ray + Digital copy because the Blu-ray has zero special features from what I've read, and that 2-disc edition has several hours of features on each disc. Everything but Toy Story 4 was 50% off.

TUJFMgq.png

Also just ordered a cheap copy of Up from an Amazon seller I trust to complete my Pixar collection.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
I just logged in and noticed I have points on my account although I'm not sure if it's the right amount or not. I didn't pay attention to what my balance was before the change over. I have read people having issues with Toy Story 4 though so that might be a different issue.

Edit:

If you click in the upper left where your points should be, go to point history. Does it say anything there?

It's all totally blank. It just looks like I created a brand new account.

I had thousands of points, never redeemed anything b/c I'm dumb. Sent them an e-mail. Honestly it prob doesn't matter since the rewards are all garbage now.

Edit: Found a phone number and they are claiming I deleted my account. Fuckers. They acknowledge that it had 12,340 points on it but seem to believe I intentionally deleted it.

Also remembered Spider-Man was Sony so my last redemption was Endgame.. had some others but was waiting for the website to come up.

Edit #2: I spoke to DMR people and they indicated that the new DMI is totally separate, new resources. She is just sending me an e-mail instructing me to talk to the new regime. Also said not to expect things to move quickly so I'm guessing this new thing is all outsourced.

Last edited:

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
4k DI when they're rendering at 2k? I wouldn't be surprised if it used better colour range, but 4k seems a bit excessive since the render target isn't there. Doubt CG films will any time soon either.

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
normally animated movies don't show a big leap in image quality over their 1080p counterpart but Toy Story 4's 4k/HDR is getting excellent reviews...might be the best looking animated 4K movie...I previously considered HTTYD: Hidden World the best looking animated 4K disc but Toy Story 4 might top it