• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
KDash

KDash

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Finally got my Disney Movie Club order in. I love their selection and deals, but their shipping is so slow...I ordered it all on the 4th.

nRJp17c.jpg

I also got Up last week, so now that Toy Story 4 finally arrived, I have the full Pixar movie collection (plus the two Toy Story specials) on Blu-ray/DVD! I do plan to upgrade A Bug's Life and Monsters, Inc. sometime soon.

PjAhTzI.jpg

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
Did Netflix seriously release "Haunting of Hill House" on regular Blu-Ray but not UHD Blu-Ray? Ugh, so damn annoying.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
I don't think Netflix even releases their movies in 4K, let alone their shows. Stranger Things is an exception, but it's also by far their most marketable and retail friendly production. And IIRC they massively overproduced season 1 sets.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Netflix really don't care about this stuff. I mean they don't even have 4K streaming on a bunch of Android devices and most TVs/UHD can't even stream Atmos because they can't be botheref making it a standard feature across their app. That's why I use my Xbox 1X for it because it's the only thing I have that streams Atmos.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Arrow re-releasing Exorcist 3 - Legion in the UK will include even more extras than on the Shout! release. Sweet lord, this is going to be so good!

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Finally got my Disney Movie Club order in. I love their selection and deals, but their shipping is so slow...I ordered it all on the 4th.

nRJp17c.jpg

I also got Up last week, so now that Toy Story 4 finally arrived, I have the full Pixar movie collection (plus the two Toy Story specials) on Blu-ray/DVD! I do plan to upgrade A Bug's Life and Monsters, Inc. sometime soon.

You need to spring for The Black Cauldron on digital HD. There's no disc release, so it's the only way to get it in 1080p.

Just re-watched it last week. Still holds up.

Speaking of movies, has anyone seen The Dead Don't Die?

Worth a rent?

OP
OP
KDash

KDash

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
I'm aware of the Black Cauldron situation, I'm just trying to complete a physical collection of all of the movies.

No point in buying it on digital if I can watch the same HD transfer on Disney+ in a few weeks.

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
Just watched Toy Story 4 on my LG B7 and hot damn that might be the best looking 4K disc I've watched yet. Super crisp, really fantastic use of HDR, just an all-around incredible movie to look at.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I will never understand why there isn't a release of some of the lesser known classics. The Blu-ray boxset released in the UK has everything on that format except for a handful of titles on DVD because they simply do not exist yet. It's so odd they never bothered whatsoever. And now we're getting some classics already in 4k...

OP
OP
KDash

KDash

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Only Black Cauldron, Melody Time, and Make Mine Music didn't release on Blu-ray. Still hoping they release eventually, even if it's just for the Disney Movie Club like Saludos Amigos and Three Caballeros.

I would also like a new release of Sword in the Stone that doesn't look horrible. I bought an older DVD release instead.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Ordered through Arrow (UK): The People Under The Stairs, The Abominable Dr. Phibes, Dr. Phibes Rises Again and The Exorcist 3 (Legion). Won't arrive until mid December, but man I needed that Exorcist blu-ray and the others were on a nice sale!

Deleted member 22585

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
Just watched the Mortal Engines UHD. That movie looks gorgeous. Very sharp, detailed, great colors and effects. One of the best looking movies at the moment.

Unfortunately the movie itself is incredibly disappointing. In the beginning, there was a lot of potential and the setting was intriguing. But man. So much stupid, forced and cliche story beats. It feels like every thought went into the visuals and cinematography instead of the story or dialogues.

It's a real shame.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Just watched the Mortal Engines UHD. That movie looks gorgeous. Very sharp, detailed, great colors and effects. One of the best looking movies at the moment.

Unfortunately the movie itself is incredibly disappointing. In the beginning, there was a lot of potential and the setting was intriguing. But man. So much stupid, forced and cliche story beats. It feels like every thought went into the visuals and cinematography instead of the story or dialogues.

It's a real shame.
Its basically a young adult Star Wars.

It even feels like they crammed a trilogies worth of content into one movie.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Received my 3D copy of Titanic today, very excited to watch the film again. Haven't seen it since the anniversary of the disaster.

Honestly it looks like the exact same transfer from the 75th anniversary blu ray just with the contrast adjusted.
They're based on the same 8k remaster, so that's not very odd. Curious what it looks with HDR, the old transfer looks crazy good, the new one is bit flat with colour. But that's the unfortunate side of HDR on SDR screen...

Westonian

Oct 27, 2017
My old 2016 Vizio M70-D3 died. The good news is the Costco CitiCard extends the warranty an additional 2 years. So they just refunded me the original $2K. I spent a little more and got the 82" Samsung Q70.

It's nice to finally have a TV that matches the volume of my sound system.

I just hit 999 Blu-rays. I think number 1,000 should be something special. Decisions, decisions...

Westonian

Oct 27, 2017
Here's my current setup.

The main movie shelf. Mostly Blu/4K, with a few DVDs (old stuff, kid stuff, MST3K stuff).
TH7JKvz.jpg

The upstairs closet collection (rated R stuff).
Kp9JudZ.jpg

(Whole collection here: https://www.blu-ray.com/community/collection.php?u=62140

The home theater setup:
TV: Samsung 82Q7D
Speakers: Axiom M60s, V100
Sub: SVS SB-12-NSD
AVR: Denon X3300
Blu-ray Player: Oppo UDP-203 (w/ region free mod)
Games: Analogue Super NT and Mega SG, PS4 Pro w/VR, Switch, GameCube w/GCHD Mk II
(Sorry for the dim photo)

PDZOPBs.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
KDash

KDash

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Got some more Disney movies in the mail. Just need a few more to complete the collection.

dhxelWF.jpg

The Fantasia 2-Movie Collection is the UK release. New copies of the UK version are cheaper than the average price for a used copy of the US release, and they're region-free. They also come with their own cases.
2Ode2xh.jpg

Westonian

Oct 27, 2017
The Fantasia 2-Movie Collection is the UK release. New copies of the UK version are cheaper than the average price for a used copy of the US release, and they're region-free. They also come with their own cases.

The space saver in me appreciates both in a single case, but the collector in me would enjoy the separate cover art of the UK release.

Oozer

Oct 25, 2017
Got Tangled and Moana in 4K from Best Buy. I already have both on 3D Blu-ray, but I adore both movies so I had no qualms about double dipping. I got the Steelbook for Tangled. The picture on the inside, of Rapunzel and Eugene on the river during the lantern festival, should have been the art on the cover, though.

OP
OP
KDash

KDash

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
The space saver in me appreciates both in a single case, but the collector in me would enjoy the separate cover art of the UK release.
The space saver part would probably not like how really thick those UK cases are. They only have a single disc inside of them, but they are as thick (thicker?) than a 5-disc case!
Got Tangled and Moana in 4K from Best Buy. I already have both on 3D Blu-ray, but I adore both movies so I had no qualms about double dipping. I got the Steelbook for Tangled. The picture on the inside, of Rapunzel and Eugene on the river during the lantern festival, should have been the art on the cover, though.
If it wasn't for my poor wallet, I would definitely get at least the Tangled 4K steelbook.

Westonian

Oct 27, 2017
The space saver part would probably not like how really thick those UK cases are. They only have a single disc inside of them, but they are as thick (thicker?) than a 5-disc case!

Oh I know it! I have quite a few UK imports and the case sizes make my eye twitch. So many Disney 3D releases were UK exclusive... So... Many...

Monkeylord

Nov 8, 2017
UK

I'm in the UK, and the massive cases is the main reason I've now recycled the cases on my Blu Ray collection, and just shoved them all in wallets. Finding space for 1650 Blu's (not including bonus discs, additional DVD's, etc) is NO JOKE!

I have kept the inserts safe in a box, though. I'm stupid, not mad.

Last edited:

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I grabbed tangled, moana, and spiderman far from home from best buy yesterday in 4k. I didnt get around to the other two yesterday but Moana makes my LG Oled c8's HDR capabilities sing. From a color and vibrancy perspective, its drop dead gorgeous and the hdr boost makes it even more beautiful. Frozen looked great too but its comparatively less vibrant color palet made it less impressive than moana. Cant wait to watch tangled tonight, and i hear the spider-man release is a fantastic conversion. Hopefully this month ill be able to grab the legacy mcu 4k's im missing so all the iron man movies, thor 1 and 2, dr strange, gotg, and antman. Its gonna be expensive af. My total collection now though is at about 42 4k movies

Last edited:

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
KDash are the fantasia blu rays really region free? some say no on amazon

Disney is surprisingly usually region free with Blu. Of all the companies you would expect to lock it down, most Disney Blus are region ABC.

Now the Disney DVDs in the combo packs are always single region, but as a company it is a lot less anal about the HD discs.

Sagadego17

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
good now don't have to pay for a price of a console game to own these, edit sees lion king set and a Aladdin set as well too on amazon

Sagadego17

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm probably the only one on era that collects disaster films that are low budget junkfood pic in spoilers cause too big, just a sample of my movie collection

HDexmNO.jpg

lQMAOd9.jpg

Deleted member 11479

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Had one last crazy shopping spree before Brexit. Got like over 40 films ordered. I need help.
It's almost all here now, almost... Stuff I bought in October:

20191107_153731_3.jpg

Combination of different sales, pre-orders, etc.

Criterions:
Do the Right Thing
The Emigrants / The New Land
Dazed and Confused
The Magnificent Ambersons
Jabberwocky
The Last Temptation of Christ
The Fisher King
L'avventura
Tokyo Drifter
Grey Gardens
Only Angels Have Wings
La verite
The Life of Oharu
The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou
F for Fake
It Happened One Night
The Ininvited
The Naked Kiss
Shock Corridor
The Tree of Life
Carnival of Souls
The Blob
Othello
Bottle Rocket

Random (mostly) contemporary films:
The Big Short
Midnight Express
Midnight Special
The Way Back
The Impossible
Molly's Game
Side Effects
Lady Bird
Theory of Everything
Mud
Prisoners
12 Years a Slave
I, Tonya
I, Daniel Blake
The Death of Stalin
Drive

Eureka/Masters of Cinema:
Troll: The Complete Collection (Troll, Troll 2, Best Worst Movie)
White Dog
Kuroneko
Wake in Fright
House
Onibaba
Westfront 1918 / Kameradschaft
Variete
Wooden Crosses
Les miserables
The Last Command

Czechoslovakian stuff from Second Run:
The Ear
Journey to the Beginning of Time

4K UHD stuff:
John Carpenter collection (They Live, Escape from New York, Prince of Darkness, The Fog)
Moon
BlackKklansman
Arrival
Jurassic Park collection (the original, The Lost World, III)

Two Fritz Langs from France:
House by the River
Scarlet Street

Actual French films from France:
Boudu Saved from Drowning
Two films by Jean Epstein (Finis Terrae / La Femme du bout du monde)

Indicator / Powerhouse stuff:
Marlene Dietrich and Josef von Sternberg at Paramount 1930-1935 (Morocco, Dishonored, Shanghai Express, Blonee Venus, Scarlet Empress, The Devil is a Woman)
Samuel Fuller at Columbia 1937-1961 (It Happened In Hollywood, Adventure in Sahara, Power of the Press, Shockproof, Scandal Sheet, The Crimson Kimono, Underworld U.S.A.)

Two other boxsets:
Early Woman Filmmakers 1911-1940 (The BFI one from UK, I still need to pick up the Flicker Alley and Kino Lorber sets from the USA as they have different/exclusive contents)
Monty Python's Flying Circus

The lone local pick up:
Truth and Justice (the "fanciest" film made in modern Estonia, our Oscar submission this year, check if out if you can)

Still to arrive as it was delayed by two weeks but dispatched earlier this week:
Samuel Fuller at Fox 1951-1957 (Fixed Bayonets, Pickup on South Street, Hell and High Water, House of Bamboo, Forty Guns)

That should keep me busy for the next six months or so.