• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I've never been a fan of how that movie looks even on normal blu-ray. The saturation is pumped so high that it just looks ugly. The Chrome Edition on the other hand looks amazing.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Seeing the color transition scene In Wizard of Oz is mind blowing how an 80 year old movie can still look great. Dolby really brings out all the colors.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Finished Scarface and wow they did a great job on the this transfer too.
It's not 2001 or Oz good, but it looks fantastic still.

Great movie too!

meadowdrone

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Can someone with a 4K Netflix sub check if The Crown S3 is in UHD, please? Looking to re-up for it and wanna choose the right tier before I get billed. I believe the other seasons are, but can't find any info on it for S3.

NealMcCauley

Oct 27, 2017
OUATIH released digitally today. Vudu has a 4k disc+digital option, but it's the collector's edition that's ~$60 with tax.

OneThirtyEight

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Ok, 4KTV-owners, so i'm upgrading from my 1080p to a 4K and i have just one question: How does 1080p-stuff like blu-rays(and even SD dvd's) and regular PS4-games look on a 4K TV. Does it like scale it or whatever so you don't notice it's stretched out or whatever it's called.

Sincerely: Someone who don't know shit about this.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Ok, 4KTV-owners, so i'm upgrading from my 1080p to a 4K and i have just one question: How does 1080p-stuff like blu-rays(and even SD dvd's) and regular PS4-games look on a 4K TV. Does it like scale it or whatever so you don't notice it's stretched out or whatever it's called.

Sincerely: Someone who don't know shit about this.
1080p content scales well with 4K. Blu Rays look fantastic on my C9 :D

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
The better Blu ray transfers still look great on a 4K TV, though obviously slightly softer. The main downgrade is the lack of HDR.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Eagerly awaiting reviews for the UHD Space Adventure Cobra Blu-Ray releasing tomorrow. I'm hoping this is the sign of many more classic anime remasters to come (Akira is already confirmed for UHD next year.)

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So we're most likely upgrading soon to 4k here, is a TV with HD10+ support decent enough, or would you really recommend Dolby Vision? I'd prefer both, but I've seen a lot don't support both, but rather one or the other.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
So we're most likely upgrading soon to 4k here, is a TV with HD10+ support decent enough, or would you really recommend Dolby Vision? I'd prefer both, but I've seen a lot don't support both, but rather one or the other.

I honestly can't tell if there's much of a difference, and the quality of HDR color grading can be all over the map as yet. But I'd still get a DV set for future-proofing.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2018
Just ordered my first UHD disc player, a Panasonic UB420. I'm excited but also terrified that I won't be able to tell the difference from 4k streaming.

demon326

Nov 3, 2017
Just ordered my first UHD disc player, a Panasonic UB420. I'm excited but also terrified that I won't be able to tell the difference from 4k streaming.

Make sure to connect the player the first time direct to the tv, so it can readout the tv and configures itself. Also make use of the 'hdr optimizer' and disable dynamic tonemapping on the tv when using the player with hdr optimizer set to ON. It will make HDR10 content dynamic and brightens only the bright parts in a scene, but not the full scene itself..

Jan 29, 2018
Make sure to connect the player the first time direct to the tv, so it can readout the tv and configures itself. Also make use of the 'hdr optimizer' and disable dynamic tonemapping on the tv when using the player with hdr optimizer set to ON. It will make HDR10 content dynamic and brightens only the bright parts in a scene, but not the full scene itself..

Thanks for the tips. It's hooked up through my soundbar right now, though the soundbar explicitly supports 4k/HDR10 passthrough. I did turn on the HDR optimizer on the player but didn't touch the dynamic tone mapping. That sounds like the Local Dimming feature on my TV (Samsung Q70R) which I have enabled but set to 'Low'.

I watched John Wick 3 last night and was impressed but not blown away. Maybe I need to put the regular blu-ray in my PS4 and do some back and forth comparisons.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
I assume you're aware, but if not, just be aware that the UB420 doesn't support Dolby Vision, but with your Samsung that won't matter, just thought it was worth mentioning if anyone was thinking about picking it up that does have a DV TV.

Jan 29, 2018
I assume you're aware, but if not, just be aware that the UB420 doesn't support Dolby Vision, but with your Samsung that won't matter, just thought it was worth mentioning if anyone was thinking about picking it up that does have a DV TV.

Yep, no Dolby Vision. But if anyone ever puts out a disc with HDR10+ I'll be covered.

Honestly I've still got some anxiety about all the settings. Everything looks great, but I'm constantly worried I don't have something configured correctly. I think I've settled on Dynamic for the picture mode on the TV, but I've barely fiddled with the individual picture settings, and I'm not entirely sure if I need to set it up differently for HDR vs non HDR sources, or the TV can largely figure it out.

demon326

Nov 3, 2017
Thanks for the tips. It's hooked up through my soundbar right now, though the soundbar explicitly supports 4k/HDR10 passthrough. I did turn on the HDR optimizer on the player but didn't touch the dynamic tone mapping. That sounds like the Local Dimming feature on my TV (Samsung Q70R) which I have enabled but set to 'Low'.

I watched John Wick 3 last night and was impressed but not blown away. Maybe I need to put the regular blu-ray in my PS4 and do some back and forth comparisons.

Local Dimming is the setting for the backlight :).

I have the UB820, the bigger brother. Older BR player was 9 years old and was showing its age. Next step for me is : 4K HDR OLED in a month or three.

This YT channel hase some very good information:

Westonian

Oct 27, 2017
There are a handful of HDR10+ discs out there: https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=300877

But honestly, I think higher mid-range and up sets (like your Q70) will look just fine because they already have sufficient peak brightness and contrast ratios to handle static HDR metadata. Any differences between HDR10 and DV and 10+ are going to be very minimal and subtle, and nearly impossible to notice without doing a ton of A/B tests.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Am I wasting my money upgrading to the Panasonic ub820 from a LG up970? I originally wanted to upgrade to a Sony x800m2, but the manual switching to Dolby Vision sounds like that would annoy me enough comming from the LG which does it automatically.

The HDR optimizer feature at least seems like it would be useful for an OLED.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Some Walmart stuff is up too. It looks like they're a few bucks more than their in store prices though. The easiest way to find stuff is to go to the TV and Movies section, select the 4K UHD section and then sort all from low to high. You'll get a bunch listed as in store purchase only but after that you'll see the lower priced discs. Wizard of Oz is $12.96 for example.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
haha, the hunt for motion smoothing on my tv has been quite annoying. I've looked online for guides about finding/turning off motion smoothing for TCL sets, and they all point to the same way of going into Advanced Picture Settings and then turning off the setting there. Except my TV doesn't have an Advanced Picture Settings menu or a Motion Smoothing setting anywhere. And I've seen people elsewhere say that 50 inch and under models don't support motion smoothing, so I assume mine doesn't have it. But there are times when watching 4K content (especially Fleabag for some reason, not exactly an fx heavy show...) that video will sporadically feel sped up. It's not full on motion smoothing, it doesn't affect the whole show or even whole shots, but like certain elements within a shot will feel like it's moving a little too fast. But far as I can tell my TV doesn't support motion smoothing so I'm not sure what that would be.

Maybe I just need to mess around with the other settings though. As I said, I've played around with them a lot but can never find the sweet spot and just end up reverting to the default settings, which look great for everything other than DV/HDR content.

edit - fwiw, this is my tv: https://www.tclusa.com/products/hom...-4k-uhd-dolby-vision-hdr-roku-smart-tv-50s525

The setting for motion smoothing doesn't appear unless you're running an input. Load Netflix, bring up the settings menu, then you can disable it if it is there. Took me a few minutes to find on a 6 series.

Sounds like the Xbox One would be a good fit for you. Buy a remote with it!
Personally I wasn't a fan and replaced my Xbox X for a proper standalone player.

Admittedly I mostly loathed the UI. I was not prepared for how sluggish, bloated, and kind of closed off it feels(plus the time it takes to actually load into the player and disc wasn't great). Just using the XBX in general was not enjoyable. Also the system didn't interact with my TV or HT at all, so as a dedicated player I needed to go through a few extra steps just to launch everything and get it going. Finally being forced to use the controller exclusively to interact I didn't love.

Switched to a dedicated BR player and everything is now synced with my entire system and I can jump right into a loaded disc almost instantly with like a single button from everything in a powered-off state. Its night and day superior.

Although admittedly I have a gaming PC capable of playing available MS titles, so the XBX gaming perk wasn't a factor for me, but i did get a kick out of seeing some old BC titles enhanced in 4K HDR that are only on XBX. I suppose if you want a player and the game option...well, just be prepared for that awful dashboard is all.

No need for an additional remote if he has a Samsung Q70. The Samsung and Xbox will talk and the Samsung TV remote will double as an Xbox One remote when the system is connected to the TV.

Dolby Vision is of more use on lower end TVs with limited brightness range. On a set with solid peak brightness it's not really a bug difference from HDR10, doubly so if the disc isn't manually mastered.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Bought all the John Wick movies and Rambo First Blood.Wanted to get Dark Knight too, but it was sold out on Best Buy so I went with Dunkirk instead. I'll check later if they have it in stock again. :P

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a meaningful difference in playback quality between the Xbox 1S and 1X? I have a 1S but trying to weigh up whether to upgrade or not

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
Any recommendations for a Blu-Ray player?

My old Sony Blu-Ray player is going to be incompatible with Netflix starting on December 1st, so need a new Blu-Ray player that can stream Netflix, Amazon, etc. Don't really need more bells and whistles than that

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Any recommendations for a Blu-Ray player?

My old Sony Blu-Ray player is going to be incompatible with Netflix starting on December 1st, so need a new Blu-Ray player that can stream Netflix, Amazon, etc. Don't really need more bells and whistles than that
Sony x700 is only $130 for Black Friday and it's a solid player with HDR + Dolby Vision.
If you want something with a little bit better build quality the Sony x800m2 is also a good choice. Keep in mind you have to manually enable dolby vision when you want to watch Dolby Vision content on both players.

If you want something high end go for the Panasonic ub820. Automatically detects Dolby content.

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
Sony x700 is only $130 for Black Friday and it's a solid player with HDR + Dolby Vision.
If you want something with a little bit better build quality the Sony x800m2 is also a good choice. Keep in mind you have to manually enable dolby vision when you want to watch Dolby Vision content on both players.

If you want something high end go for the Panasonic ub820. Automatically detects Dolby content.
Thank you!

Antoo

May 1, 2019
Man, the people at Lionsgate are assholes. Not only are they not on Movies Anywhere but also they require you to opt in for their emails in order to get your digital copy. Add on to that they want you to download their garbage app.

Westonian

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, their stupid app is just an entirely unnecessary layer to their already non-consumer friendly digital copies.

Finally scored a copy of The Dark Knight 4K thanks to my when hitting Best Buy while she was out shopping.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Man, the people at Lionsgate are assholes. Not only are they not on Movies Anywhere but also they require you to opt in for their emails in order to get your digital copy. Add on to that they want you to download their garbage app.

You can avoid the email sign up if you use the unbranded OEM app, IIRC.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
All the Dark Knight, Batman Begins and Dark Knight Rises are back on stock again at Best Buy. Bought all 3 and now i'm officially done with Black Friday. Can't wait for the Joker to come out next year.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah disk sales are suffering and the experience of buying a Lionsgate disk is terrible.

OP
OP
KDash

KDash

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
My only Black Friday pick up.

7PLiknn.jpg

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Just FYI The Black Friday deals are still up on bestbuy if you want to pick up anything before they refert back to normal prices. Apocalypse Now for $10...

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Got a Sony Bravia TV, soundbar and 4K blu-ray UBP-X800M2. Watching The Mummy at the moment, and hot damn, that's one mighty find transfer and stellar colours. Never seen anything HDR related, but the colours on here are terrific, and that for only regular HDR10. Very curious how Dolby ends up looking on this set.