• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

sweetvar26

Oct 26, 2017
Milky Way Galaxy
Got a Sony Bravia TV, soundbar and 4K blu-ray UBP-X800M2. Watching The Mummy at the moment, and hot damn, that's one mighty find transfer and stellar colours. Never seen anything HDR related, but the colours on here are terrific, and that for only regular HDR10. Very curious how Dolby ends up looking on this set.

Which Mummy, the 90's one or the reboot with Cruise?

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't watched the newest reboot except that I heard it sucks. However I did buy the original trilogy 4K from Amazon yesterday for $20, waiting on that.
I've only watch the first one last night for about an hour, just after when the Mummy had been resurrected, before I was too tired to continue (three days of Black Friday retail will do that to you). But it looks absolutely gorgeous! There's absolutely some softer stuff throughout, especially establishing shot of Cairo early on, which I assume is because of the many, many, many effects used to create it. Also the CG looks a bit rough, but even that has some increased details and film grain. Absolutely a stunner, despite being an early title in the formats life. I honestly can't wait to watch some of the cream of the crop of the format, this is going to be absolutely amazing!

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Got a Sony Bravia TV, soundbar and 4K blu-ray UBP-X800M2. Watching The Mummy at the moment, and hot damn, that's one mighty find transfer and stellar colours. Never seen anything HDR related, but the colours on here are terrific, and that for only regular HDR10. Very curious how Dolby ends up looking on this set.

Grats! I too have a similar Sony setup with same player. Both Blade Runner films and the recent John Wick movies just look astounding. Reference quality material. Blade Runner with the new transfer on UHD especially looks unreal, especially given its age, you could hardly tell. The outdoor shots in neon-lit LA with heavy rain are a real treat with all the detail.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I was contemplating which one to watch first, but I had recently researched Blade Runner (21 November) and felt a bit too early to rewatch it. Guess soon with a couple of friends maybe!

sweetvar26

Oct 26, 2017
Milky Way Galaxy
I've only watch the first one last night for about an hour, just after when the Mummy had been resurrected, before I was too tired to continue (three days of Black Friday retail will do that to you). But it looks absolutely gorgeous! There's absolutely some softer stuff throughout, especially establishing shot of Cairo early on, which I assume is because of the many, many, many effects used to create it. Also the CG looks a bit rough, but even that has some increased details and film grain. Absolutely a stunner, despite being an early title in the formats life. I honestly can't wait to watch some of the cream of the crop of the format, this is going to be absolutely amazing!

Oh man, I just got home and I see that I already have Mummy Trilogy UHD and I repurchased it on Amazon yesterday. Time to see if I can return it.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
lol, that's amazing. Absolutely give it a watch, because hot dang does it look mighty fine!

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
I need to stop buying discs and actually buy some gifts for other people at some point. Just picked up Moana, Lion King (original), Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse, Batman, and Batman Returns from BB. Went with the Steelbooks for Moana and LK.

Building my library for when my C9 gets here!

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
My Black Friday/Cyber Monday haul
4UHD Blu Rays
Batman Begins
Batman Dark Knight
Batman Dark Knight Rises
Batman(1989)
Batman & Robin
Batman Forever
John Wick 1
John Wick 2
John wick 3
Dunkirk
Rambo First Blood
Rambo First Blood Part 2
Rambo 3
Rambo(2008)
Predator(1987)
A Quiet Place
Us
Apocalypse Now
Panasonic UB820 Blu Ray player
I have no shortage of movies to watch at least. lol It part 2 comming next week too I'm pumped!

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
The Collectorz monthly fee is pretty damn expensive, frankly. I'd rather just put my collection in a Google Sheet if I want to be able to search my collection to see if I already own a potential purchase in some format.

I like that kind of software, I used Delicious Library when I was still on MacOS, but that's when it's a flat software purchase and not a subscription.

Westonian

Oct 27, 2017
The Collectorz monthly fee is pretty damn expensive, frankly. I'd rather just put my collection in a Google Sheet if I want to be able to search my collection to see if I already own a potential purchase in some format.

I like that kind of software, I used Delicious Library when I was still on MacOS, but that's when it's a flat software purchase and not a subscription.
Yeah, I've had it forever, so I'm grandfathered into the no monthly fee. I don't know that I would pay what they're asking now.

You could also just use the Blu-ray.com collection feature. It works pretty well, it's just not quite as convenient as scanning barcodes.

EDIT: Looks like they're having a sale where you can get just the phone app for $10 a year. I think it's worth it at that price if you have a large collection and buy 1 Orr more movies a week.

woo

Nov 11, 2017

Monthly fee? Oh, sod that for a bunch of soldiers then.

sweetvar26

Oct 26, 2017
Milky Way Galaxy

Yeah I noticed they have a monthly fee.

As of right now I am building up the library on Blu-ray.com, I don't care about extensive details like where I bought it from, pricing etc. I just need to keep a track of the movies that I own and I think Blu-ray.com does just that for me.

Monkeylord

Nov 8, 2017
UK
I use a Memento database on my phone. Used a template for movies (edited slightly so I can track additional things, like if something's 3D, has bonus discs, digital copy, etc).

It has saved me from duplicate purchases many many times.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
OK what service has it? Apple does not.

EDIT: I think they literally changed this yesterday. I checked before and it was HD only.

Apple iTunes
Vudu

Apple had it first (before the discs came out), then Vudu got it after the discs came out.

Amazon used to have it on Prime, but I don't think it was ever available to buy on Amazon.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
In case anyone's interested Star Trek and Into Darkness 4K are back in stock at Best Buy for $8 each

SeroTyler

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I know I'm late to the party but this Apocalypse Now remaster is just breathtaking. Easily the best I've seen in the format yet, although my collection is tiny.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Seen 2001 A Space Odyssey with Dolby Vision. I must say, despite not having the most amazing HDR set (we tried to keep cost a tad lower than I would've preferred), the colours are stunning and that Stargate sequence is something else. The colours really pop, especially those reds are rendered in insane detail!

With HDR so far, I'm mostly Impressed by the insane increase in the colour red more than anything. It was always, and I mean always, the colour that had a lot of trouble, yet here it's rendered with pristine quality.

The Rocky Horror Picture Show is going to be an absolute stunner on the format once it's time. And dear lord, do I hope they'll bring Shock Treatment some day to the format.

Deleted member 22585

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
Watched the Spider-Man Far From Home UHD.
Really liked the movie overall. Though some of the teen stuff was cringey as hell, it was kinda charming. Good arc for Spidey and other characters, story with it's twist was interesting. The first post credit scene was crucial for the movie, strange that they made it that some viewers would miss it.

The whole movie, I felt like something was off about Nick Fury. Like he was not in control as much and not as smart as usual.
The second post credit scene then blew my mind. Very well crafted movie.

The presentation was nice with good effects and colors. Being a 2k upscale it's not as sharp as it could be, but it's still very visually pleasing.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
A couple days of use with the Panasonic ub820 and I I'm happy with it. HDR optimizer is a beat feature for plain HDR10 movies and they look even better than they did on the LG up970.

Disc tray is a little noisier when loading a disc, but when the movie is playing it's whisper quiet. Front Panel Display is a nice bonus too.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
The whole movie, I felt like something was off about Nick Fury. Like he was not in control as much and not as smart as usual.

Agreed, wasn't sure their intent to make Fury feel like a less imposing and somewhat jokey presence worked out very well. Just a lot of awkward choices made surrounding his character. Enjoyed the movie overall though.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
I know the first two are better movies, but Batman Forever and Batman & Robin really show off what the UHD format is capable of when done right.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Anything that's crazy colourful shows it great. The Stargate sequence at the end of 2001 is absolutely insane. I can't wait to see that some day on an OLED.

NealMcCauley

Oct 27, 2017
Hot damn fed ex just dropped off my copy of OUATIH. I ended up ordering Vudu's disc and digital option so I got the collector's edition. This thing looks nice and I haven't even opened it yet haha.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So Amazon (US) currently has the six disc edition of Apocalypse Now available for $13. I normally avoid Amazon as much as humanly possible for obvious reasons. But they never bothered releasing the film in 4k over here and the UK release is more expensive for half the discs. Curious what The Final Cut is like, I quite like the Redux, but it's overly long. So we'll see I guess.

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
A couple days of use with the Panasonic ub820 and I I'm happy with it. HDR optimizer is a beat feature for plain HDR10 movies and they look even better than they did on the LG up970.

Disc tray is a little noisier when loading a disc, but when the movie is playing it's whisper quiet. Front Panel Display is a nice bonus too.

If it wasn't $400 I would consider the upgrade but ouch at that price.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm waiting for the final boxset with all five films before picking the films up. But excited to hear it. I adore the fourth film!

Branson

Oct 27, 2017
I have never seen the Rambo movies but I think I'd love them so I picked them up for BF and these 4K transfers are pretty cool looking.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
I'm waiting for the final boxset with all five films before picking the films up. But excited to hear it. I adore the fourth film!
I have never seen the Rambo movies but I think I'd love them so I picked them up for BF and these 4K transfers are pretty cool looking.
Watched the first 3 last night and the transfers are really solid. Especially 1 and 2 with the lush greenery of the forests.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Watching Osamu Tezuka's Metropolis at the moment, and what a great film so far. I'm right now half hour into the film and the combination of the hand animation and the CG is really great for such an old film.

With Akira getting a 4k release soon, I'm hoping more anime will find its way onto the format. I can't wait to see how this film would benefit from the upgrade. Even if the CG won't look much better, but the hand animation is so good and the colour boost would be amazing.

Branson

Oct 27, 2017
Watching Osamu Tezuka's Metropolis at the moment, and what a great film so far. I'm right now half hour into the film and the combination of the hand animation and the CG is really great for such an old film.

With Akira getting a 4k release soon, I'm hoping more anime will find its way onto the format. I can't wait to see how this film would benefit from the upgrade. Even if the CG won't look much better, but the hand animation is so good and the colour boost would be amazing.
Hopefully it's a good transfer. No DNR bs with grain intact.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully it's a good transfer. No DNR bs with grain intact.
The last two releases were pretty solid, some DNR, but still a healthy layer of it. If anything,no hope they'll include the original audio fully remastered instead of the 90's remixed audio. In the current mix a lot of the audio gets muffled through each other. Quite the shame.

Branson

Oct 27, 2017
The last two releases were pretty solid, some DNR, but still a healthy layer of it. If anything,no hope they'll include the original audio fully remastered instead of the 90's remixed audio. In the current mix a lot of the audio gets muffled through each other. Quite the shame.

Yeah I like my BR of it. Didn't know that about the audio though.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Despite some of the flaws in either the negative or the transfer of Metropolis, the film looks absolutely stunning in the Eureka release. Absolutely recommend it to anyone who enjoy anime and hasn't seen it yet. Such an amazing ending as well.

Edit: figured I'd give Blade Runner a quick spin before The Game Awards. Seriously holy hell! This is amazing, I can't believe how crazy good this looks. Especially those special effect shots, just... How?! I always thought those screens with the Asian lady were beams, but you can extremely clearly make out that they're all individual bulbs. This is absolute crazy!
Oh man, I need to rewatch the entire thing soon from beginning to end again. I honestly can't believe how good this release looks!

Last edited:

Westonian

Oct 27, 2017
Missed Once Upon a Time in Hollywood in theaters due to being out of the country, but I finally got around to watching it tonight on the 4K disc. I loved it. The disc is great too. Not a showy HDR demo, but I really appreciated the level of detail still visible in the really dark night scenes at the end. Neon lights are cool and all, but this is where the real value of HDR lies.