• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

KDash

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
DVoHPpv.png

PURPOSE OF THE THREAD

To help inform each other of the best ways to experience their discs, discuss the best and worst releases, share upcoming release info, to post recommendations, setups, and our latest pick ups and discs collections. This thread is a work in progress and will be updated as the community adds suggestions. While not the main subject of the thread, you may freely post about Apple TV and other such devices, as well as digital video services.

If you wish to give away digital codes, please do so in this other thread: I bought the DVD/Blu-Ray/4k and don't want the digital code give away |OT|

THE FORMATS

The oldest of the formats, DVD (Digital Video Disc), support up to 480i/p NTSC 576i/p PAL resolution, and Dolby Digital 5.1 or DTS 5.1 lossy audio. They were first offered in 1996 in Japan, and 1997 in other countries. Discs are usually 4.7 GB single-layer or 8.5 GB dual-layer discs, though they may go higher in some cases. After 20 years, this format still remains popular, and is still often sold separately, but are now also usually offered in bundles with Blu-rays for a few dollars more.

Blu-ray discs first arrived on the scene in 2006. These are usually 25 GB single-layer or 50 GB dual-layer discs. They offer stunning 1080p video and 5.1/7.1 lossless audio in PCM, Dolby True HD, and DTS HD Master Audio formats. Some older Blu-rays may use lossy Dolby Digital or DTS formats, and these are also what most alternate audio tracks are stored in. More recently, the Dolby Atmos and DTS X formats have made an appearance on newer releases, and contain height info for audio to further enhance the experience on compatible home theater audio systems. If Dolby Atmos/DTS X are not detected, then the audio will play as Dolby True HD/DTS HD tracks instead. Blu-rays are often bundled with DVD and digital download codes, and more recently, they are also included with most (if not all) 4K UHD releases.

4K Ultra HD Blu-rays are the latest and greatest in home video releases. They offer true 4K* video with High-Dynamic-Range (HDR) for enhanced colors, brightness, and resolution. Discs are usually stored in 50 GB dual-layer to 100 GB triple-layer discs. They offer the same great lossless audio options as regular Blu-ray discs. They will usually come bundled with regular 1080p Blu-rays and digital download codes. *Some 4K discs may be mastered from a 2K source and upscaled to 4K, though HDR is said to make a bigger difference overall.

HOW TO GET THE BEST PICTURE AND AUDIO

Calibrating your TV is an important step to getting the best possible picture quality out of your discs and players. It is recommended to turn off any post-process "enhancements" (noise reduction, auto contrast, motion interpolation, etc.) first. This will get you get the raw, unaltered intended image (and if you're playing video games, it'll also reduce input lag along with getting better picture). Sharpness should be turned down some for the best picture, and depending on the TV set, might have to be turned down completely.
If you're using a 4K TV, it is recommended to get one with proper HDR support for the best image quality. Recommendations will be added over time as the thread progresses.

You may use this for calibrating for non-HDR content: AVS HD 709 - Blu-ray & MP4 Calibration

For audio, it is recommended to use at least a 5.1 or greater home theater system with HDMI inputs and support for Dolby True HD and DTS HD Master Audio. Recommendations will be added over time as the thread progresses.

SUGGESTED LINKS

-Blu-ray.com: Tons of reviews and news for 4K and regular Blu-ray releases, as well as a collection tracker.
-High Def Digest: Another site for news and reviews.
-AVSForum.com
-AVForums
-caps-a-holic.com: Compares screenshots of different releases.

v9TZZPf.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I got Spider-man Homecoming on 4k earlier than release date and yet I havent even watched it yet. Girlfriend is out of town this week, will probably hit the big screen hard this weekend. How does it look?

Velasco

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Laserdisc isn't included in the formats, but a few days ago i managed to get my player working again, so i checked some of my discs.Three weeks ago, i found the LD of Mission Impossible in a vinyl market.On topic, i am waiting for the 4k Blu-Rays of Close Encounters, The Bridge on the River Kwai and Song to Song to arrive.

deafmedal

Oct 25, 2017
Glad we are back up over here, one of the few threads I subbed over *there*.
(clicks watch thread...)

OP
OP
KDash

KDash

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Laserdisc isn't included in the formats, but a few days ago i managed to get my player working again, so i checked some of my discs.Three weeks ago, i found the LD of Mission Impossible in a vinyl market.On topic, i am waiting for the 4k Blu-Rays of Close Encounters, The Bridge on the River Kwai and Song to Song to arrive.
I had considered adding laserdisc when I was making the original thread, but I decided to stick the different formats that are all compatible on the same players and easily found anywhere.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
I missed this thread, glad to have it back

This week's haul is Warrior, Raimi's Spider-Man Trilogy, and the Apes trilogy all on 4K. Can't wait to watch these films again, they're some of my all time favorites, though I may wait till I can upgrade my current 4K set

Disappointingly, none of the codes provided with those purchases grant a UHD digital version.

OP
OP
KDash

KDash

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Glad to see you're all happy to see this thread return! :)

Here's my setup.
-Insignia NS-43D420NA16 43 inch 1080p HDTV
-Sony STR-DH550 5.2 surround sound receiver
-Panasonic DMP-BD903P-K Smart Network Blu-ray/DVD Disc Player (I also have an Xbox One and PlayStation 3 if I want to watch Blu-rays on those instead)
EGlvesv.jpg

plaTBsL.jpg

hbUJQFh.jpg

And my current collection.
sxPhPn4.jpg

TLu4tRa.jpg

JZHkMZd.jpg

Aphotic

Oct 25, 2017
With the One X almost here it's finally time for me to grab a few 4K Blu-Rays. I was thinking of picking up Passengers and Alien Covenant as my first 2 since I can get them for a good price right now and I hear they look pretty great on 4K. After that I'd say Revenant and the John Wick duo are my top priorities.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I asked this on GAF but i think I never got an answer. Is it possible to rip your own 4K Blurays now? Earlier in the year i've seen they come with some new DRM that is hard to crack. Is there any straightforward tools for this yet?

Chessguy1

Oct 25, 2017
I stopped buying movies all together a few years ago, but then movies anywhere happened a month ago and I really liked buying blu-rays again, especially getting digital codes everywhere instead of the mish mash of services it was before. I also learned walmart has something called instawatch, where if you buy a blu-ray online (or instore) from walmart, they'll instantly deposit a movie into your vudu account which transfers everywhere right?. You also end up getting TWO(!) digital codes this way if it comes with a code inside a blu-ray right? I'm thinking about going HAM this black friday.

OP
OP
KDash

KDash

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
How is the xbox one s as a uhd player?
Some people have been having issues with it. I hear it's fine most of the time, but that certain discs have playback issues on it for some people. I don't have any personal experience, as I only have the original Xbox One model (which I never had any issues with for Blu-rays and DVDs). I've been using a dedicated player for a while now, and if you intend to watch a lot of discs, it's the best way to go.
Great set-up and collection Dash!

That pic made me sad that T2 is having issues with its 4K release. Hopefully they can figure it out soon.
Thanks! It's nothing fancy, but I love it. :) Sometimes I prefer it to theaters.

I saw some stuff about the Endo Arm Edition having production issues. One person said they got an email that it was cancelled. Not sure if that's the reason for the delays, or if it's just one several. There were also reports that it was the Blu-ray that was the problem..and some about the 4K disc. Who knows. There was also word that it didn't have Dolby Atmos or DTS:X, and that the special edition footage wouldn't be remastered.

I just hope that when it comes out, it's a quality release.

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks guys for the speedy responses.
No personal experience, but I hear mixed things

Maybe wait for the XboneX if you have the extra spending money
It's only because I might be able to get one super cheap. It's not even sure, so just wanted to know if it was even worth considering.

Some people have been having issues with it. I hear it's fine most of the time, but that certain discs have playback issues on it for some people. I don't have any personal experience, as I only have the original Xbox One model (which I never had any issues with for Blu-rays and DVDs). I've been using a dedicated player for a while now, and if you intend to watch a lot of discs, it's the best way to go.
Ah.. Early years of a media. Honestly my biggest potential issue was the lack of dolby vision since my TV probably won't get hdr10+ but playback problems doesn't sound too good. Only a few discs though? Know if the the there is a list anywhere?

OP
OP
KDash

KDash

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Thanks guys for the speedy responses.

It's only because I might be able to get one super cheap. It's not even sure, so just wanted to know if it was even worth considering.

Ah.. Early years of a media. Honestly my biggest potential issue was the lack of dolby vision since my TV probably won't get hdr10+ but playback problems doesn't sound too good. Only a few discs though? Know if the the there is a list anywhere?
The problems seemed to vary from person to person. Not sure if there any any specific discs that are problematic for most.

Velasco

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nice collection KDash!

My main setup is:

LG 65UH950V 4K TV
Panasonic SA-BT205
XBox One S (There is also a PS4).

Here is my collection of 4K Blu-Rays

26170874039_dd39f90347_k.jpg

26170865079_209665f91f_k.jpg

Last edited:

Dave_6

Oct 25, 2017
Watched War for the Planet of the Apes last night. Great looking disc and good film too.

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
How is the xbox one s as a uhd player?

It's great for regular Blu-rays, but I'm looking to replace mine with a dedicated player this Black Friday. I don't own many 4K Blu-rays, but when I watch them, I don't want stuttering. It's very irritating, because I bought the Sbone primarily as a 4K BD player. Looks like I can't have my cake and eat it too, although I'd bet the Xbone X won't have similar issues. I'm tempted to trade up, but I don't want to throw good money after bad.

I'm trying to decide between Samsung's M8500, the newer M9500 (more expensive with a bunch of features I'd find useless, but AVSforum suggests the picture quality is better), and the Sony X800 (which some swear is better than the Samsung, and some swear isn't). I went from "just give me the cheapest working player" to "I really don't want to be disappointed again".

Oct 25, 2017
My current setup is:
Vizio P55-C1
DENON AVR-S910W
Xbox 1S
Bic F12 Subwoofer
The rest of the 5.1 are from the Monoprice 10565 series.

The only peice I'm unhappy about is the X1S. I got it for its price, not its performance. I've encountered many of the same issues other people have. As prices go down I hope to replace it with a dolbyvision compatible 4k disc player. My TV is already compatible (which I put to use with streaming) and the Denon is supposed to receive a DV compatibility update by the end of the year. Right now for physical media my only choice is HDR10, but that's fine.

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
My setup:

TV I'm rocking is the Samsung 65" KS8000. Love it. A few quirks that make me raise an eyebrow and think twice about Samsung products, like the nasty ads they insert into the menus, but nothing I couldn't fix after some digging. Picture is superb, and has actually been improved via firmware updates. Would strongly recommend the TV to anyone not going OLED.

No receiver because I've always used work-arounds for device switching. Now I have all the HDMI ports I need on the TV, and it passes through 5.1 via optical to my Logitech Z5500 5.1 system.

These speakers have no right to sound as good as they do. Rich, crisp, and I couldn't be happier with them. They were super cheap, and have done me proud for years. No desire to upgrade any time soon.

...Unlike the Xbox One S. Amazing for games and Blu-rays, but a letdown when it comes to 4K BD playback. Sent it in to MS once to try and get the stuttering fixed, but it persists, and it happens often enough that I'm compelled to upgrade. Anyone with any doubts should view that as a testament to the superiority of 4K BD versus streaming. Netflix 4K HDR content looks superb; 4K BDs are next level. If you're bailing on physical media, know that you will never get to see the finest picture quality your 4K HDR TV is capable of producing.

Gaming-wise, the Sbone's great. PS4 Pro is my primary system, but I have no complaints about either console when it comes to gaming performance.

And lastly, I use a 1080p Apple TV for streaming media, and for apps like Shudder which aren't in the TV's app store. Not in a huge rush to upgrade it tor new 4K version because I stream everything available in UHD using the apps on the TV, but I love the remote and UI; and I've been very happy with its performance overall. The Air Video app is necessary to enable the box to stream every video file I throw at it, and with that installed it's a flawless media player that's a pleasure to use. Cheaper options will do the job for plenty of people, but I'm happy to pay the Apple Tax for the gorgeous dynamic aerial screensavers. They look magnificent in 1080p, and if my TV's idle, one of these dozen or so screensavers is always displayed. Turns the panel into a piece of art people can engage with rather than a black void, and they must be jaw-dropping in 4K.

Oct 26, 2017
Netherlands
Got my copy of Spider-Man Homecing in 4K today. Amazed it made its way to the Netherlands from the US in like 4 days. Pretty good looking in the PQ department, especially with the brighter color palette popping much more thanks to HDR.

Deleted member 9330

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hey everyone, again. Happy to be back in the mix.

Hey question that I've always had that isn't directly related to 4K stuff, but it's in the OP: what does anamorphic mean and how does it work with DVDs?

OP
OP
KDash

KDash

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Hey everyone, again. Happy to be back in the mix.

Hey question that I've always had that isn't directly related to 4K stuff, but it's in the OP: what does anamorphic mean and how does it work with DVDs?
Hello! Welcome! This thread isn't only for 4K. You can post about standard Blu-rays and DVDs, too, hence why they're in the title and OP. So your question is relevant to the thread.

Anamorphic means that the DVDs can transform into any animals they touch! ...okay, joking aside, it basically means that widescreen video is squished and stored in 4:3 on a DVD (or film reel) to use up as many pixels as the format allows and then stretched to display in the proper widescreen aspect ratio.
bwx8TIS.jpg

Without an anamorphic picture, you'd end up with this when viewing a DVD on a widescreen display (unless you zoom-in).
NDz4RFs.png

Last edited:

torontoml

Oct 25, 2017
My Collection:
hK5dXfW.jpg
vbjCjNA.jpg

To watch on a LG 65" B7
Blu-ray Player is a Pannasonic UB900
AVR: Marantz 5011
Speaker wise: 2 Paradigm Monitor 11 towers, Monitor Center 3, and the Monitor Sub 12". Whenever I finally get to a house of my own, I'll expand the speakers to a couple rears and probably a couple upfiring ATMOS speakers to complete it.

Oct 26, 2017
Just started collecting 4K to go with the 4K TV and the Xbox One X (which I hope is a better player than the S, as I've seen several issues with stuttering on the S).

Deleted member 9330

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hello! Welcome! This thread isn't only for 4K. You can post about standard Blu-rays and DVDs, too, hence why they're in the title and OP. So your question is relevant to the thread.

Anamorphic means that the DVDs can transform into any animals they touch! ...okay, joking aside, it basically means that widescreen video is squished and stored in 4:3 on a DVD (or film reel) to use up as many pixels as the format allows and then stretched to display in the proper widescreen aspect ratio.

Without an anamorphic picture, you'd end up with this when viewing a DVD on a widescreen display (unless you zoom-in).

Fascinating. So the DVD player/television knows how to receive an anamorphic signal and display it appropriately?

OP
OP
KDash

KDash

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
My Collection:
hK5dXfW.jpg
vbjCjNA.jpg

To watch on a LG 65" B7
Blu-ray Player is a Pannasonic UB900
AVR: Marantz 5011
Speaker wise: 2 Paradigm Monitor 11 towers, Monitor Center 3, and the Monitor Sub 12". Whenever I finally get to a house of my own, I'll expand the speakers to a couple rears and probably a couple upfiring ATMOS speakers to complete it.
Awesome collection! Setup sounds very impressive, too.
Just started collecting 4K to go with the 4K TV and the Xbox One X (which I hope is a better player than the S, as I've seen several issues with stuttering on the S).
Here's hoping it is!
Fascinating. So the DVD player/television knows how to receive an anamorphic signal and display it appropriately?
Yes, as long as the settings are correct on them.

zetsubou

Oct 25, 2017
United States
2 things: 1) is there a 4k Blu Ray player that will supersample (downsample?) A 4k disc to 1080?

2) best free or inexpensive calibration disc. I think the one I got was from avs forums, maybe?

3things actually. Is there anything the can act as a hub for your movies and put local movie rips and digital movies in one spot?

Last edited:

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017
Glad to see this thread return.

I'm trying to go fully digital with my Apple TV4K. It's a great little box. Movies Anywhere has helped push me in that direction even more so. I've been very very impressed with the quality of 4K content from the iTunes store so far. My only complaint is that it's still unclear which titles support both HDR10 and Dolby Vision.

I suspect that once I get a One X or a 4K player though that I'll buy disc versions of the price is right or it's something I really want a physical version of.

Okii

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
These are the only 4K Blu-rays that I currently have, any new movies I buy that has the option to get 4K I will be, most new release Steelbooks thankfully offer a 4K option so that's great for me!

HG1sjp3.jpg

HYy3RbI.png

oT6ingl.png

EdReedFan20

Oct 25, 2017
Not realizing there was a thread for 4K UHD, I'll cross post something from a thread I created:

I went on to Amazon to see when Christopher Nolan's Dunkirk was releasing on Blu-Ray (I thought it would have released by now). I saw what I was looking for. It's finally releasing on December 17th for $30.95. Then I noticed the 4K release was below it. As I don't have a 4KTV, I would probably not consider it, until I noticed its price was LESS than the Blu-Ray release at $29.99 (and this release includes everything the Blu-Ray release includes, it just also has the 4K disc). And as its Amazon, the pre-order prices are guaranteed.

Right now the only 4K release I have is the Best Buy exclusive steel book of Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol 2 which is the only way to get the 3D version of the movie. I now may be getting another. It will be interesting to see if this becomes a trend or the exception.

torontoml

Oct 25, 2017
Just watched my copy of Doctor Strange on my LG OLED B7, and loved the color. But it made me realize how much this movie would benefit from HDR, hopefully Disney re-releases it.

Deleted member 8136

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm now at over 40 4K BR - gotta say this format is the bee's knee's.

Something odd - bought a couple of them in a US Walmart. They all say languages: English/French/Spanish on the jacket. But when I put them in a German player, they give that as well. So... are there more languages on disc than it says on the jacket, or is the player downloading them?

Oct 25, 2017
So for folks like me who just want to buy 4k+3d Blu Ray bundles and not get them separately, Amazon France has a 4k+3d bundle for Spiderman Homecoming available so long as you're willing to wait a month or so for shipping.

Velasco

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My experience with Xbox One S as 4K player is that it performs well, with the exception of brief stuttering in some titles.If you want to get more technical, you can find more faults in the way it handles playback of the discs, but at the time i bought it, it was the cheapest player.I was hoping that it would get a Dolby Vision software update, even with a reasonable fee, but it seems that's not going to happen.We'll see if Xbox One X gets such an update.Anyway, it seems that, sometime in the future, i'll have to buy a standalone player that has DV, although there aren't many options.

List of UHDs that contain Dolby Vision (from Blu-Ray.com) (Updated regularly)

2001: A Space Odyssey
American Assassin
American Psycho
Annihilation
Atomic Blonde
BlacKkKlansman
Black Panther
Braveheart
Bumblebee
Cabin in the Woods
Clear and Present Danger
Cliffhanger (Studio Canal (European) release)
Cloverfield
10 Cloverfield Lane
Creed II
The Dark Tower
Daddy's Home 1-2
The Deer Hunter
Despicable Me 1-3
Dirty Grandpa
Downsizing
Early Man
Earth: One Amazing Day
Escape From New York
Escape Plan
The Evil Dead
Evil Dead 2
Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald
Fate of the Furious
The Fog
Forrest Gump
Game of Thrones (Season 1)
G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra
G.I. Joe: Retaliation
Gladiator
Grease
The Grinch
Halloween
Hannibal
Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters
Hell or High Water
Hellboy Animated (Sword of Storms, Blood & Iron)
Hereditary
The Hitman's Bodyguard
The Hunt For Red October
Hunter Killer
It
Jack Reacher
Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit
Jigsaw
Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle
Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom
Justice League
Kick Ass
Knowing
Law Abiding Citizen
Lord of War
Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again
Man On A Ledge
Mary Queen of Scots
The Matrix
The Matrix Reloaded
The Matrix Revolutions
The Meg
They Live
Mission: Impossible
Mission: Impossible 2
Mission: Impossible III
Mission: Impossible Ghost Protocol
Mission: Impossible Rogue Nation
Mission: Impossible Fallout
Mortal Engines
Mother!
Ocean's 8
Only The Brave
Overlord
Pacific Rim: Uprising
Paddington 2
Patriot Games
Pet Sematary
Power Rangers
Prince of Darkness
Punisher
Punisher: War Zone
Push
A Quiet Place
Rampage
Ready Player One
Red 1-2
Reign of the Supermen
Resident Evil Vendetta
Robin Hood (2018) (Dolby Vision and HDR10+)
Saving Private Ryan
Schindler's List
Shock Wave
Shutter Island
Sicario: Day of the Soldado (German release)
A Simple Favor
Skyscraper
Source Code
Spider Man Homecoming
The Spy Who Dumped Me
A Star Is Born
Starship Troopers: Traitor of Mars
Star Wars: The Last Jedi
The Sum of All Fears
Superman: The Movie
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Terminator Genisys
Lara Croft: Tomb Raider
Lara Croft Tomb Raider: The Cradle of Life
Tomb Raider (2018)
Transformers
Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen
Transformers: Dark of the Moon
Transformers: Age of Extinction
Transformers: The Last Knight
Transporter 3
Twilight
Uncle Drew
Valerian
Van Wilder
Venom
Warm Bodies
Westworld (Season 1,2)
The Witch
Wonder

Apple TV 4K seems to have more titles, but that's a topic for another thread.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
To get this straight, all HDR films are HDR10 compatible but only some are Dolby Vision compatible as well, right?

My tv isnt a Dolby compatible set so im hoping i dont get screwed by that in the long run : /

Velasco

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To get this straight, all HDR films are HDR10 compatible but only some are Dolby Vision compatible as well, right?

My tv isnt a Dolby compatible set so im hoping i dont get screwed by that in the long run : /

That's correct.HDR isn't required for 4k disc, but if the disc has HDR, HDR 10 is mandatory.Dolby Vision is an additional layer, available to those with the necessary equipment.In that case, DV will be displayed, not HDR 10 (although the OPPO players can force HDR 10).

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017
Apple TV 4K seems to have more titles, but that's a topic for another thread.

Not to derail the thread, but would it be for another thread? IMO it's 4K content just the same - as would Vudu, Amazon etc 4K content.

AppleTV is currently the lowest barrier to entry both upfront device cost and per title for 4K HDR content.

Velasco

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Since Apple TV talk is allowed, here's a list of available titles (U.S ITunes).Keep in mind that the list is not the same in every country, and in the previous weeks, the list kept changing (at least that's what users were reporting, maybe things have stabilized now).

Full list: 4K HDR & Dolby Vision movies on iTunes

Here's some interesting and informative videos

Apple TV 4K Dolby Vision vs HDR10 Picture Quality Comparison

Apple TV 4K iTunes Movies (Dolby Vision HDR) vs 4K Blu-ray

Dolby Vision vs HDR10 4K Blu-ray HDR Comparison

resident_UA

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Never though of asking, but is there a good place to ask for VUDU library sharing? I feel like this is the best time to ask someone to share a library with, considering that this forum is still relatively small and posters are more likely to be likeminded :)