• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jangowuzhere

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
"Some Hideo Kojima fans were not happy that the story takes a back seat. But this was done very consciously." Just sounds to me like exactly why the game's story being the way it is and making us feel a real "phantom pain" was "done very consciously".
"the player has the greatest possible freedom in an open world. Therefore, you are never really sure what the player will do. In this context, storytelling in an open-world game is the biggest challenge. As there is more and more freedom, it means that the story sometimes gets in the way of a distraction."

Sounds like to me he put the story in the back seat because he didn't want to hurt the player's enjoyment and freedom of playing his game. That's always the impression I've gotten from playing TPP. The game was designed to get you back into the action as fast as possible, and so that's why the cutscenes are sparse and half the story is in tapes. I don't think Kojima wanted that phantom pain feel to come through with the story. He simply put it in the background instead of making it the star like the rest of his games.

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
That's what I like about Kojima, just cool games and no politics. He worked his apolitical magic with Metal Gear and he's gonna repeat with death stranding

Electro

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vienna
Can't wait for a unique sci fi experience by Kojima :D

No need for more informations and I will probably not watch the TGS trailer.

FlashbladeERA

Oct 27, 2017
I like to hear it because it proves Kojima indeed tried to get us the feeling of a phantom pain and it wasn't all just Konami, the Konami situation just added a very small part to it with Mission 51 and Chapter 3 being cut but the game would have given the same general feeling either way and it was intentional.
That being said he still wasn't able to finish his game.
The game was going great until you hit chapter 2 and Konami started having you replaying previous missions to unlock cutscenes.

Jesus honestly I hate reading interviews with Kojima, he just sounds like he's so full of himself.

For all the talk of being full of himself, I have yet to read an interview where Kojima puts blame on others for MGS5's short comings.

Why can't "full of himself" just be intelligent.
He's earned the spot light, and should show be allowed to show some swagger for being in it for 30 years.

If he was flipping tables and banning twitter followers or even taking funding to make an Aliens game only to produce a shitty version while using the money taken to make his own IP, then I could understand the ill will

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
The discourse around this game is becoming facinating......I could do without quite so much snark.....but it's getting people talking,which is great.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
Good interview. I was most stoked about this part:

"So in Phantom Pain I started with a kind of experiment by starting linear. And once the world opens, the story fades in one way. Some Hideo Kojima fans were not happy that the story takes a back seat. But this was done very consciously. This time was the biggest challenge and the biggest obstacle: It's an open world, but at the same time we do not want to reduce the importance of the story, so fans of Hideo Kojima games will not be disappointed."

His growing pains of making his 1st openworld games are gone. He can now safely balance story with other elements.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Good interview. I was most stoked about this part:

"So in Phantom Pain I started with a kind of experiment by starting linear. And once the world opens, the story fades in one way. Some Hideo Kojima fans were not happy that the story takes a back seat. But this was done very consciously. This time was the biggest challenge and the biggest obstacle: It's an open world, but at the same time we do not want to reduce the importance of the story, so fans of Hideo Kojima games will not be disappointed."

His growing pains of making his 1st openworld games are gone. He can now safely balance story with other elements.
I wouldn't go that far, story-telling in an open world game is still a massive challenge with a very low success rate. Hopefully he can pull it off.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
Well, MGSV really went to the extremes with almost silent protagonist and very segmented mission/chapter approach. In this game, Sam is willing to talk, to learn new things by meeting interesting characters, and we have a big mystery with this supernatural DS force, post-apocalyptic world, crazy antagonist, etc.

I'm hoping that we will get good final package, that mixes well story, exploration and combat [or stealth].

Supreme Leader Galahad

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
The part of combining the freedom of the open world gameplay with a kind of story we expect from Kojima games makes me happy. This was a nice Q&A, shows his mind is on the right path.

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Kojima also did a constructive critique on Trump before he even ran for office.

source.gif

Poor Raiden, getting confused with Olga by POTUS

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I'm in, NieR:Automata was the last game that had me looking on the outside and i feel this one will be the same.

Venuslulu

Oct 28, 2017
It's an open world, but at the same time we do not want to reduce the importance of the story, so fans of Hideo Kojima games will not be disappointed.

Thank you base Kojima for giving me back my Anime esque story. Honestly, MGS isn't what it is when his writing takes a back seat, and Death Stranding seems the luckily be a spiritual successor to that.

People keep saying DS is weird, but I mean if you watch popular animes they have insane concepts like this all the time. If anything, I'm just happy we can somehow live in this world where a weird Japan/USA film production hybrid that's also a videogame can exist.

Kindekuma

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm honestly super stoked about the story for this one because there was only so much canon space you could shoe horn shit in. This new IP is a whole fresh start.

My man Hideo on some big brain 200 IQ level of development here. Genuinely excited for what he has going on even though much of it is in the dark detail wise.

Oct 26, 2017
Mushroom Kingdom
Imagine catching a ban in 2019 because you're feelings got hurt that a game got too political in a Kojima thread where the guy has been making games with political messages for like 30 years

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Wondering if this is like a translation thing?

if not what in the heck is this game going to be lol
Its just a way to make sure ppl understand that this game is not going to be a normal action game based on shooting or stealth. Even if thers elements of gameplay that use stealth and shooting, that will not be the main focus of the game. He call it Strand Game because the idea is to connect ppl, thats the main objective in the game, is to connect this pockets of isolated civilisation with eachother.

The strand system might extend to the online portion of the game that we still dont know everething about it.

Kinda like Yu Suzuki also said Shenmue would be a new genre that he called F.R.E.E. (Full Reactive Eyes Entertainment)

Deleted member 4372

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As a person who has never played a Kojima game in his life, I cant help but feel compelled to play this game. Im sold

Oct 26, 2017
Mushroom Kingdom
Its just a way to make sure ppl understand that this game is not going to be a normal action game based on shooting or stealth. Even if thers elements of gameplay that use stealth and shooting, that will not be the main focus of the game. He call it Strand Game because the idea is to connect ppl, thats the main objective in the game, is to connect this pockets of isolated civilisation with eachother.

The strand system might extend to the online portion of the game that we still dont know everething about it.

Kinda like Yu Suzuki also said Shenmue would be a new genre that he called F.R.E.E. (Full Reactive Eyes Entertainment)

Ahh gotcha. Makes sense.

Intrigue and curiosity have me at full hype. All the people who have seen the game have said in interviews how new, different, and ambitious the game is attempting to be

I still have this feeling the game is going to be some kind of survival game at its core.
Kojima fingerprint in still definitely in there too.. Stealth, Shooting, Horror, Action, etc.

Last edited:

Voke

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I really wonder why so many of you dislike this man and this game. He's making a brand new IP, based on a brand new genre. We don't get this often in the AAA business anymore. Like it or not I think we should appreciate how much this game confuses us, because a lot of the shit we see these days is familiar territory. I'm for sure gonna avoid the launch trailers and reviews because this is a mystery I'm very interested in uncovering myself!

Electro

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vienna
I really wonder why so many of you dislike this man and this game. He's making a brand new IP, based on a brand new genre. We don't get this often in the AAA business anymore. Like it or not I think we should appreciate how much this game confuses us, because a lot of the shit we see these days is familiar territory. I'm for sure gonna avoid the launch trailers and reviews because this is a mystery I'm very interested in uncovering myself!

Well spoken :)

Last time I was so curious for a game like for DS is long ago...

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I liked his answers and I'm interested to see how his premise for the game pans out.

John Frost

Oct 27, 2017
Canada

Yup, same.

I'll check the scores but I ain't reading any reviews, it's gonna be a special one for sure^^

saiko

Nov 4, 2017
All the political stuff is part of the reason why I loved the story in MGS. Can't wait to see what he does with DS.