4X Strategy |OT| eXplore, eXpand, eXploit, eXterminate

FaceHugger

Oct 27, 2017
I started playing Epic Tavern. It's early access but already pretty playable for hours. Really fascinating simulation game. I was looking for a game in which one just runs a restaurant or tavern, this takes it to another level.

OP
OP
Hella

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Right now all I can think of is Age of Wonders: Planetfall. It hit me recently that it's actually really close to release.

And speaking of AoW... Age of Wonders 3 is free via Steam! Claim it & save 10% on a Planetfall preorder. Kinda an interesting promotion.
To celebrate the upcoming release of Planetfall, we're giving Age of Wonders 3 away for free on Steam! As an added bonus, anyone who downloads Age of Wonders 3 for free during this time will get a 10% discount on Age of Wonders: Planetfall Premium Edition. The offer is valid from 11-15th of July, so get it while you can!
https://steamcommunity.com/games/226840/announcements/detail/1606013667721315334
Age of Wonders 3 is hands down my favourite fantasy 4X. The mix of 4X, RPG, with tactical combat, is a fantastic match. If you like 4Xes at all, AoW3 is for you.

FaceHugger

Oct 27, 2017
Found another good one, Chef: A Restaurant Tycoon Game. You basically run a restaurant. Level up staff, improve the menu, advertise, etc. Charming little early access sim. It still has some way to go in the UI department but it's a fully fledged game thus far. Really tough, kind of like running an actual restaurant, but fun.

FaceHugger

Oct 27, 2017
I keep staring at this one on my wishlist but haven't pulled the trigger. Is there a decent variety of missions to do?
I only played three-ish hours. It seems like there's a decent variety, but it's all text based. Don't expect lots of animations or any voice acting. If you want I can see about firing up a session so you can watch on Steam later.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
I noticed the newly released Field of Glory: Empires has positive reviews on Steam. The game looks pretty decent and an interesting contrast to the recent Imperator: Rome.

OP
OP
Hella

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
I noticed the newly released Field of Glory: Empires has positive reviews on Steam. The game looks pretty decent and an interesting contrast to the recent Imperator: Rome.
Rock, Paper, Shotgun's article made me do a double-take. It sounds really good... sort of Imperator: Rome x Total War

I'm kinda shocked I've never heard of the series before, lol. It's sooo up my alley.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Rock, Paper, Shotgun's article made me do a double-take. It sounds really good... sort of Imperator: Rome x Total War

I'm kinda shocked I've never heard of the series before, lol. It's sooo up my alley.
I got Field of Glory 2 during last year's Steam sale, but haven't played it yet. Empire's optional battle system sounds interesting in how it boots up FoG2, though it's a bit clunky from what I've seen in Let's Plays what with the loading times. I think when I get round to playing Empires I'll just autoresolve them.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017

Field of Glory is good but jank personified as a series.