• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I started playing Epic Tavern. It's early access but already pretty playable for hours. Really fascinating simulation game. I was looking for a game in which one just runs a restaurant or tavern, this takes it to another level.

OP
OP
Hella

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Right now all I can think of is Age of Wonders: Planetfall. It hit me recently that it's actually really close to release.

And speaking of AoW... Age of Wonders 3 is free via Steam! Claim it & save 10% on a Planetfall preorder. Kinda an interesting promotion.
store.steampowered.com

Age of Wonders III on Steam

Age of Wonders III is the long anticipated sequel to the award-winning strategy series. Delivering a unique mix of Empire Building, Role Playing and Warfare, Age of Wonders III offers the ultimate in turn-based fantasy strategy for veterans of the series and new players alike!
To celebrate the upcoming release of Planetfall, we're giving Age of Wonders 3 away for free on Steam! As an added bonus, anyone who downloads Age of Wonders 3 for free during this time will get a 10% discount on Age of Wonders: Planetfall Premium Edition. The offer is valid from 11-15th of July, so get it while you can!
https://steamcommunity.com/games/226840/announcements/detail/1606013667721315334
Age of Wonders 3 is hands down my favourite fantasy 4X. The mix of 4X, RPG, with tactical combat, is a fantastic match. If you like 4Xes at all, AoW3 is for you.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Found another good one, Chef: A Restaurant Tycoon Game. You basically run a restaurant. Level up staff, improve the menu, advertise, etc. Charming little early access sim. It still has some way to go in the UI department but it's a fully fledged game thus far. Really tough, kind of like running an actual restaurant, but fun.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I keep staring at this one on my wishlist but haven't pulled the trigger. Is there a decent variety of missions to do?

I only played three-ish hours. It seems like there's a decent variety, but it's all text based. Don't expect lots of animations or any voice acting. If you want I can see about firing up a session so you can watch on Steam later.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
I only played three-ish hours. It seems like there's a decent variety, but it's all text based. Don't expect lots of animations or any voice acting. If you want I can see about firing up a session so you can watch on Steam later.
It's all good. I will keep the thing on the wishlist. Already added enough to the backlog on the latest Steam sale.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
I noticed the newly released Field of Glory: Empires has positive reviews on Steam. The game looks pretty decent and an interesting contrast to the recent Imperator: Rome.

OP
OP
Hella

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
I noticed the newly released Field of Glory: Empires has positive reviews on Steam. The game looks pretty decent and an interesting contrast to the recent Imperator: Rome.
Rock, Paper, Shotgun's article made me do a double-take. It sounds really good... sort of Imperator: Rome x Total War

I'm kinda shocked I've never heard of the series before, lol. It's sooo up my alley.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Rock, Paper, Shotgun's article made me do a double-take. It sounds really good... sort of Imperator: Rome x Total War

I'm kinda shocked I've never heard of the series before, lol. It's sooo up my alley.

I got Field of Glory 2 during last year's Steam sale, but haven't played it yet. Empire's optional battle system sounds interesting in how it boots up FoG2, though it's a bit clunky from what I've seen in Let's Plays what with the loading times. I think when I get round to playing Empires I'll just autoresolve them.

OP
OP
Hella

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Man, I forgot that Wargaming made a Master of Orion game. What a weird thing.

Seductivpancakes

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
I got Endless Space 2. Liked the first one and I'm liking this one as well.

I love the world building in this game. Makes me wish it was more than just a 4X game.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
Tangentially relevant here. I was listening to some quality music as I do and ran across this comment. How badass are you that you can just casually drop this into YouTube comments?

SAJKdux.png

OP
OP
Hella

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
BABA

YETU

If it was any other video game composer, I'd feel compelled to ask if that pic was real. But with Tin, I believe.

Matttimeo

Oct 26, 2017
Yegads that is an amazing deal. I guess I am suddenly owning a lot of Crusader Kings content (previously I just had the base game from some bundle somewhere). Just for my own curiosity really I ran the numbers and the top tier is £158.94 of CK content.

OP
OP
Hella

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone else picking up Planetfall?
it gud
60A59019615A62B46D99B02C28F070B9FEDE99F4

I've only been dabbling in the tutorial and commander creator so far, though.

For some reason I doubted it would be like a "AoW4" but that's exactly what it is--the systems are deeper, the game is bigger, and it just feels like a better product overall. (Of course, I'm veeeery early in, but the familiarity is strong.)

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
Cool cool. I'm glad they worked on making the strategic side a little deeper, even if it's ultimately still a war game. If the game gets as much support as AoW3 it should be really special by the end. Hopefully it gets a workshop soon, too.

OP
OP
Hella

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
One big thing you notice even in the tutorial is how much more active combat is. Many units have active abilities and unique tactics vs. it being largely a game of positioning as in AoW3. It really does feel more like XCOM, as some reviews have noted (and not just because of overwatch/cover).
Cool cool. I'm glad they worked on making the strategic side a little deeper, even if it's ultimately still a war game. If the game gets as much support as AoW3 it should be really special by the end. Hopefully it gets a workshop soon, too.
I never thought to check the Workshop, but the launcher mentions mods and (IIRC) Steam so it has to be coming.

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Caved in and got it even if i cant play it until Thursday >.<
it gud
60A59019615A62B46D99B02C28F070B9FEDE99F4

I've only been dabbling in the tutorial and commander creator so far, though.

For some reason I doubted it would be like a "AoW4" but that's exactly what it is--the systems are deeper, the game is bigger, and it just feels like a better product overall. (Of course, I'm veeeery early in, but the familiarity is strong.)
I was thinking of not buying yet it because
  • I haven't played age of wonders 3 despite having it for a while
  • 3k DLC is releasing this week
  • I'm really enjoying valkirie chronicle 4
Am I making a mistake?

OP
OP
Hella

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
I was thinking of not buying yet it because
  • I haven't played age of wonders 3 despite having it for a while
  • 3k DLC is releasing this week
  • I'm really enjoying valkirie chronicle 4
Am I making a mistake?
I've spent a few hours with it now and I feel comfortable recommending Planetfall; as a 4X it seems magnifique. (Obviously that can change late-game, but it certainly feels like it can follow through rn.) It's got some rough edges and takes a while to grasp, due to the sheer number of systems in it... but honestly that's my favourite part of a 4X. It feels very well realised overall, the sort of game that gives you an ocean of depth and invites you to dive as deep as you can.

Now, although Planetfall has a lot of great ideas packed in, I'd call it evolutionary rather than revolutionary. I don't want to just say Planetfall is "for fans of the genre" but that really fits.

If you haven't played AoW3, jumping into that would be a good way to prime yourself for Planetfall while also getting an idea if it's something you'd like. So ultimately, unless you want to be part of the zeitgeist, you would be fine waiting a bit.

Ayato_Kanzaki

Nov 22, 2017
4X games are among my favorites, but after spending an ungodly amount of hours on Stellaris, I have somewhat lost my motivation to try others. I loved endless Space 1, but the sequel bore me after 15 minutes. Loved Sword Of The Stars, but the second was an outrageous mass of glitches. Same for the Master of Orion series.

I may try Planetfall, since you guys are praising it.

OP
OP
Hella

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
I made the Age of Wonders: Planetfall OT!
4X games are among my favorites, but after spending an ungodly amount of hours on Stellaris, I have somewhat lost my motivation to try others. I loved endless Space 1, but the sequel bore me after 15 minutes. Loved Sword Of The Stars, but the second was an outrageous mass of glitches. Same for the Master of Orion series.

I may try Planetfall, since you guys are praising it.
Just note that it's not actually set in space. I think everything in Planetfall is done in-atmosphere, unless I've missed some wild biomes. The different 'planets' are just new maps, with the campaign tying them into a coherent narrative.

I'm having a blast with it, but it's pretty different from any of the space 4Xes. It's closer to Endless Legend, or maybe Civilization: Beyond Earth. (Or, y'know, Age of Wonders 3.)

Deleted member 18857

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Me: "I miss HoMM, there's no game like that and 6 and 7 were trash"
My friends: "Have you tried Age of Wonders? It's quite similar and very good"
Me: "Nah, I don't think I'd like it"
---a few years later, after getting AoW3 for free and finally installing it because everyone is hyped about Planetfall--
Me: "Holy shit AoW3 is so great! It's like a natural evolution of HoMM! I can't believe I didn't know about it!"
My friends: "..................."

Bregor

Oct 27, 2017
Good, I have been disappointed for some time that there is no Civ competition. Not that I dislike what Firaxis is doing, I just think that there is room for alternate ideas in the "all of history" 4x.

Deleted member 18857

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really like that this looks like a very different take on the concept, and not "Endless Legends but the Broken Lords are now called Rome". Their problem was always that their design concept only allows for a limited amount of factions, and a Civ-like needs dozens upon dozens of similar factions. Instead of devolving into Civ1-2 where the only difference between civs was the name, they seem to be trying something really different with the whole "faction" concept:

Create your own civilization by combining 60 historical cultures from the Bronze to the Modern Age.
Begin as Ancient Egypt, then evolve into the Romans, the Khmers, or perhaps the Vikings.
Each culture brings its own special gameplay layer, leading to near-endless outcomes.
I hope it's good, 60 cultures is appetizing!
Also, they're abandonning the traditional victory conditions (supremacy/diplomatic/economic/Science victory) to have only one victory condition, "Fame". What does it all mean? I'm super intrigued.

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Political/cultural fluidity seems like a natural focus for a game that's meant to cover the history of civilisation. It wasn't an informative trailer so I'm keen to hear more about other unique features that Amplitude plan to implement. I'm hoping it's less "game-y" than Civilization, as much as I enjoy those games.

Oct 25, 2017
Quite intrigued by Humankind. I could use another take on Civ, and I feel like Amplitude certainly have the ability to deliver a good one.

OP
OP
Hella

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds hella rad. I've always wanted a "dynamic" Civilization like that, so it's great to see Amplitude tackling Civ.

Now they're on my wavelength.

Morfeo

Oct 25, 2017
Looks really cool! Civ went downhill with 5 and 6, and really need competition in this genre.

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal

Amplitude's actual take on Civ, not just Civ-adjacent. Could be pretty exciting.

I have always wanted someone to take on the idea of CIV and give it a change of pace. I'm really glad it is amplitude because they have the ability to really push the boundaries of the genre. IMO both endless legend and endless space are really good 4x games.
I'd like it if all games like this start moving away from having victory conditions at all, tbh.
Me too. I find it really restrictive and it kidna forces to "min-max" instead of playing sub-optimal for roleplaying.

IMO victory conditions should only exist in games with storyline/levels where reaching a defined target is important to advance something. In open ended games like 4xs and grand strategy games it seems a bit short-sighted to have these objectives.

spiritfox

Oct 26, 2017
I don't mind victory conditions in Civ since I view it more as a strategy game than a world simulator. I don't play for victory in GSGs though, it's more fun simulating a country/empire/noble there.

Oct 25, 2017
Me too. I find it really restrictive and it kidna forces to "min-max" instead of playing sub-optimal for roleplaying.

IMO victory conditions should only exist in games with storyline/levels where reaching a defined target is important to advance something. In open ended games like 4xs and grand strategy games it seems a bit short-sighted to have these objectives.

I'm not opposed to the idea of victory conditions, but I think they can be restrictive because they're often completely static. I've thought for the past couple of years that I'd like to see Civ give each Civ their own unique victory condition, for example (based around that Civ's unique qualities and how they were acting in the world at their historical peak). Different conditions for different types of maps could also be an idea worth exploring, as well as just having victory conditions that evolve over the course of the game depending on how the different factions are playing. I think 4x games definitely need to rethink victory conditions, but I don't think they need to throw them out entirely.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017

Amplitude's actual take on Civ, not just Civ-adjacent. Could be pretty exciting.

I'm on board. Civ scratches an itch unlike any other 4X, and Amplitude has shown they've got the chops.

Edit: man, they're really leaning into the expanded cities thing, huh? Curious how they'll handle the possibility to totally shift cultures from an aesthetic standpoint.

Last edited:

johancruijff

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
from reddit

So I thought I'd make a temporary list of all the currently known civs.

-Nomadic Tribe

BRONZE AGE:

-Assyrians

-Babylonians

-Egyptians

-Harappans

-Hittites

-Olmecs (online article)

-Nubians? (city of Kerma in screenshot)

LATER ERAS:

-Romans

-Greeks

-French

-Germans

-Khmers

-Vikings (Khmers and Vikings are mentioned on the steam store page)

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
I'm not opposed to the idea of victory conditions, but I think they can be restrictive because they're often completely static. I've thought for the past couple of years that I'd like to see Civ give each Civ their own unique victory condition, for example (based around that Civ's unique qualities and how they were acting in the world at their historical peak). Different conditions for different types of maps could also be an idea worth exploring, as well as just having victory conditions that evolve over the course of the game depending on how the different factions are playing. I think 4x games definitely need to rethink victory conditions, but I don't think they need to throw them out entirely.
An interesting take. I think it would be easier to not have those victory conditions and instead have an end game screen that summarizes your campaign.
If a dev manages what you say I think it would transform 4x games as we know it.