• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

VFX_Veteran

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Here are my 5 games that have next-gen quality (what you should be seeing on consoles except the RTX) right now that you can play on PC. These are in no particular order or preference.

1. Control - Best use of ray-tracing in a game so far

Control-RTX-1212x682.jpg

2. Metro: Exodus - A close 2nd in the ray-tracing category. I just wish the art direction was different.

Metro-Exodus-Screenshot-2019.02.13-23.26.34.49.jpg

3. Red Dead Redemption 2 - the absolute maxed out current gen graphics features. An incredible display of technology and expertise in ALL areas! I am still wondering how they was able to get GI occlusion for smaller objects.

RDR-2-PC-6-1280x720.jpg

4. Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order - my favorite UE4 game to date. With the help of ILM, I'm seeing incredible asset quality across the board. Best hair shader in (gameplay) that I've seen in a game. Dual specular lobes with back scattering and very natural looking diffuse shading. All the assets, animation, lighting, art style, and environments look amazing. We finally got our SW:1313 game that was cancelled early this gen.

Force-Powers-1212x682.jpg

5. Gears 5 - my 2nd favorite UE4 game to date. They did a hell of a job with the colors, detailed characters/monsters and great art direction WITH smooth 60FPS. Gameplay is just as snappy and responsive as the previous versions. One big disappointment though -- I still see the same broken specular shading model though. I wished they would have taken the shader from the guys at Respawn/Lucasfilm. Their specular highlights are more natural and energy-conserving.

gears-5-versus-hero.jpg

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
I'd add Modern Warfare to this list (especially with RTX shadows).

I'd certainly put it above SW and Gears at the very least.

s y

Nov 8, 2017
You think the ingame hair in Jedi Fallen order is better than Dante or V from Devil May Cry 5 on PC? I find DMCV's hair more impressive:
Dantewind.gif

Out of the ones you've mentioned, JFO is definitely the least impressive looking, especially when you take the animation quality into consideration. Kind of shocked you have it there over star citizen, an RE engine game or FFXV.

Last edited:

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
I would find it very hard to believe that MW looks better than SW. The asset quality is through the roof.

Have you played it?

Aside from the cutscene issues and RTX shadow dithering at low resolutions, it's visually flawless. The production values are absurd, and the overall visual quality is certainly pushing into next gen territory. Personally, I found it far more impressive than Metro (on a 2070 Super). The volumetric lighting in particular is astounding.

On top of that, even without RTX the game runs at 60 FPS on consoles which is a marvel considering the visuals on display.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Aside from the fact that all these games run on current gen consoles, therefore making nothing about them next gen-like. Surely you realize you ruined your troll job by including Fallen Order in this list
Or... Maybe they just like how the game looks. Yikes.

luoapp

Oct 27, 2017
Jedi Fallen order looks worse than Tomb Raider games, especially the facial animation.

OP
OP
VFX_Veteran

VFX_Veteran

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
You think the ingame hair in Jedi Fallen order is better than Dante or V from Devil May Cry 5 on PC? I find DMCV's hair more impressive.

Yea it is (to me). I usually don't pinpoint something amazing unless it is staring me in the face. I cherry pick these games' graphics with a toothpick and gauge it with what I'm used to seeing in film. RDR2 even on X1X felt sort of like giving a 100% on a test. I tried looking for everything I could find to put it in the realm of "average" and I just couldn't.

Out of the ones you've mentioned, JFO is definitely the least impressive looking, especially when you take the animation quality into consideration.

Have you played it on a PC @ 4k? The production values in the game's graphics are very impressive. I knew looking at the first level that Respawn got help from Lucasfilm.. :D

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Aside from the fact that all these games run on current gen consoles, therefore making nothing about them next gen-like. Surely you realize you ruined your troll job by including Fallen Order in this list
Settle down lol, dude's just wanting to talk about how good games look. Go take a bath

Feb 10, 2018
I think the only game representive of next gen is star citizen because it does things only an SSD and powerful cpu/gpu enable.

All the games in the OP are made using 2012 tech, but with some pc extras which require rtx hardware.

OP
OP
VFX_Veteran

VFX_Veteran

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Oh my god. I didn't even see this part. He's definitely trolling.

Nope. Not trolling at all. I love it. Been trying to find a hair shader that had multiple diffuse colors from root to tip, with a little noise to make it more random and natural and it has 2 specular lobes with a back-scatter lobe. It flows naturally and the clump setting is impressive.

OP
OP
VFX_Veteran

VFX_Veteran

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
I think the only game representive of next gen is star citizen because it does things only an SSD and powerful cpu/gpu enable.

If that's your definition of next-gen, can't argue that. But that's not what devs call next-gen visuals.

All the games in the OP are made using 2012 tech, but with some pc extras which require rtx hardware.

I don't understand this. Can you describe to me what's 2012 tech mean?

Bad_Boy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like none of these titles feel next gen to me. Maybe one or two examples of what next gen is capable in these titles, but nothing screams full on next level consoles. None of these titles graphically "out-do" some titles that have been out for several years.

I think next gen will bring graphics that make a clear statement of being impossible to perform on current gen hardware.

s y

Nov 8, 2017
Have you played it on a PC @ 4k? The production values in the game's graphics are very impressive. I knew looking at the first level that Respawn got help from Lucasfilm.. :D
I mean, it's a decent looking game to me, but I was most surprised at you praising the animation, unless you were strictly talking about the cinematics. The traversal and combat animations can look very mediocre.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Nope. Not trolling at all. I love it. Been trying to find a hair shader that had multiple diffuse colors from root to tip, with a little noise to make it more random and natural and it has 2 specular lobes with a back-scatter lobe. It flows naturally and the clump setting is impressive.
Indeed, it looks amazing

star-wars-the-force-unleashed-ii-wallpaper-5.jpg

OP
OP
VFX_Veteran

VFX_Veteran

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
You think the ingame hair in Jedi Fallen order is better than Dante or V from Devil May Cry 5 on PC? I find DMCV's hair more impressive:
Dantewind.gif

Out of the ones you've mentioned, JFO is definitely the least impressive looking, especially when you take the animation quality into consideration. Kind of shocked you have it there over star citizen, an RE engine game or FFXV.

Yes! There is no variation in the color white other than blue. Only 1 highlight and no backscatter. And it's not styled naturally.

Oct 25, 2017
Star Wars looks really ropey in a lot of parts. The flashback training sections look like an uprezzed game from last gen.

Aug 13, 2019
Replace Fallen Order with Uncharted 4, and sure. Fallen Order is great, but the animations are kind of janky compared to some of the other AAA games. But even then I wouldn't say these are representative of what nextgen games can potentially offer.

Feb 10, 2018
If that's your definition of next-gen, can't argue that. But that's not what devs call next-gen visuals.

The hardware of the base x1 + ps4 is 2012 or maybe 2013 tech.

It's not my definition, in this case reality defines what is next gen or not, all the games you mentioned are by definition "current gen" with a few with more sophisticated effects on PC.

It's a hard thing to define though, these games u mention could be defined as "late gen" games which result in the the best the gen has to offer visually because the devs are more experienced and developer software has got better.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
What game isn't inconsistent graphically in your opinion?

There's some inconsistency in almost every game, I did specifically say very inconsistent. Some of animation work is very janky, jarringly so, and then you have the wookies, who look absolutely ridiculous, like close to unfinished. They look incredibly out of place considering how good most of the game looks.

All the other games in the OP are far more consistent.

flipswitch

Oct 25, 2017
So it's confirmed, bald space marines will be a thing of the past next-gen. ;)

They are all good pics, played only RDR2 on PS4 Pro, though standard PS4 looks just as good, but what a remarkable looking game. R* just showed what's possible with lots of time and money.

It's astonishing what they created. I'm blown away every time I see it. RDR2 remastered is next?

OP
OP
VFX_Veteran

VFX_Veteran

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
I feel like none of these titles feel next gen to me. Maybe one or two examples of what next gen is capable in these titles, but nothing screams full on next level consoles. None of these titles graphically "out-do" some titles that have been out for several years.

I think next gen will bring graphics that make a clear statement of being impossible to perform on current gen hardware.

Next gen (to me) is defined as: NONE of these games with the PC settings @ 4k will run on a current gen console. NONE.

Why?

1) They all have much higher resolution textures, shadow maps, and light maps
2) The rendered image is at 4k not rendered at 1080p or 1440p and upscaled
3) All of these games run with 16X anisotropic filtering making the textures crisp and clear
4) 2 of them use more complex lighting computations that can't be produced with the typical rasterizer
5) ALL of the normal maps in these games are of a higher resolution. Adding 1) on top requires enormous bandwidth that current gen doesn't have.
6) 2 of them use more than one shadow-casting light source
7) 2 of them use real area lights (again can't be done on current gen)
8) All use a more complex form of ambient occlusion than the typical SSAO

This is my professional opinion from having worked with even higher fidelity rendering for 19yrs along with some of the most talented artists from both industries. It's just an opinion. I'm not sure what you guys picture next-gen is going to look like but it's not going to be movie quality. If you want more opinions from artists that work in the industry on my picks, just ask them or call one of them out. I'm sure they'll see the logic and reasoning why I picked them whether they personally agree with it or not.

OP
OP
VFX_Veteran

VFX_Veteran

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Replace Fallen Order with Uncharted 4, and sure. Fallen Order is great, but the animations are kind of janky compared to some of the other AAA games. But even then I wouldn't say these are representative of what nextgen games can potentially offer.

How can a game that can be played on all consoles/PC if ported, be considered a next-gen game graphically? Uncharted 4 has amazing asset quality and production values, but it's not doing anything that current consoles wouldn't be able to run.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
RTX shadows/reflections and the near endless draw distance in RDR 2 along with the resolution of volumetric lighting s absolutely something that looks "next gen".

Not sure about Fallen Order though, outside of Cal's hair the game isn't that good looking.

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know about next-gen but the footage of JFO on PC that I've seen was stunning. Lot of variation in the texture work, nice particle effects (those light sabers in the rain!), beautiful set pieces and gameplay arenas, quality motion blur, running at 60fps... it's gorgeous.