• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden
My condolences to everyone affected. :(

Fucking awful, I am glad at least they caught the bastard so he can be put on trial for this.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Uh... there are no cameras in bedrooms and bathrooms.

Haha, I know. What I was trying to say was I don't see how we stop events like this unless we put cameras in bedrooms and bathrooms. Literally everywhere.

Which would literally mean letting the terrorists win. So I don't agree with that step of course. Sorry for the confusion.

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
He thought he would be killed after he got out running around with the two fake guns.

He lived so now at least they can interrogate him

I doubt they find much. He likely had no connection to ISIS besides falling for their propaganda. Hopefully he was acting entirely alone, but if not, we can at best hope that we uncover any other connections/potential attacks. My guess is there's nothing to uncover really. RIP to the victims.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
I don't get how ISIS' radicalisation methods can be so effective. They don't turn good people into bad people, so I guess it's a matter of bad people existing, as it's normal...

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
I don't get how ISIS' radicalisation methods can be so effective. They don't turn good people into bad people, so I guess it's a matter of bad people existing, as it's normal...

Take disaffected and borderline unstable people, bombard them with propaganda. Show them images of suffering people, tell them it's America's fault and that they must pay. Keep doing that and some folks are very susceptible to that. Tell them to strike back and it's their duty...etc.

Oct 25, 2017
Take disaffected and borderline unstable people, bombard them with propaganda. Show them images of suffering people, tell them it's America's fault and that they must pay. Keep doing that and some folks are very susceptible to that. Tell them to strike back and it's their duty...etc.

Don't forget rampant xenophobia from commander in chief and how it further feeds into IS strategy

matimeo

UI/UX Game Industry Veteran
Verified
Oct 26, 2017

Yup, I remember looking into this awhile back. They use similar tactics to inner city gangs and if you think only "bad" people join gangs you're sadly mistaken. The difference is their recruiting is expertly done and makes great use of the internet to expand their reach and target many vulnerable people. I was amazed at how polished their design work was for all their propaganda as well. Scary how well thought out it is. Now I'm sure some are "bad" just to play devils avodocate but they don't target those people, they want ones who are lost , feel abandoned, want to belong, and are easily influenced.

disparate

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know why people bang the security drum in events like this; the guy drove a vehicle into a crowd, no security is going to get around that.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Trump's now saying he's gonna crack down on immigration and get rid of the immigration program this guy came in on. "We have to be much more politically incorrect!"

Predictable.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
Trump announced he's gonna terminate the diversity lottery program. Pretty amazing how swift he is with this but did nothing about gun laws after Las Vegas.

FeistyBoots

Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
I don't know. Maybe new cars, but converting old cars to be self driving would cost a huge amount of time and money. The government would probably need to subsidise the conversion like they did for digital TV.

There are aftermarket packages available *now* for like 7k. Considering the economic benefits to many travel-reliant industries, no way is it going to take that long.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
More reactionary than the Vegas shooting.

image.png

https://twitter.com/Acosta/status/925761759000002560
image.png

https://twitter.com/Acosta/status/925762123090841600
image.png

https://twitter.com/Acosta/status/925762753897345024
image.png

https://twitter.com/Acosta/status/925765267342417920
image.png

https://twitter.com/Acosta/status/925765585463541761

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I hate to be cynic but...Trump probably loves this for the fact that it's distracted from the Mueller stuff.

That sounds horrible but I can't help but feel that way given Trump using the nightclub shooting a few years back as a "gotcha!" moment against Obama.

Majukun

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is as vacuous an argument as "let's not have any gun restrictions". It's far easier to just drive a car into people now; if cars are automated, it will happen less, because not every terrorist is capable of hacking. It's like saying less guns wouldn't prevent gun deaths, when less that can be fired being available literally means less gun deaths.

not every terrorist is able to create bombs either,they learn.
everything is possible as long as you have infinite time and infinite will to hurt people.

Pbae

Oct 26, 2017
I'm going into the tin-foil minority here but this reeks of a false flag attack. So many things seem a bit...off about this. Hopefully he was just unnerved, or an idiot but the lack of planning, the lack of mayhem, and the lack of intentions from the information gathered so far is bizarre.

He even had a note that claimed his ISIS affiliation which reminded me of that "NO FOUL PLAY" suicide note of Paul W. Smith.

I hope I'm wrong.

Lo-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
New Yawk City!
I don't know why I'm astonished at what Trump and McCain are saying but I am. Trump has no basis saying what he is. Trump doesn't know that Saipov's relatives are a threat because Trump doesn't know shit about shit, and he's deliberately terrorizing them by implying they'll get the same treat he wants for Saipov himself. And McCain is already calling for the suspension of Miranda rights for Saipov; so much for standing up to the feckless president! Too bad for this offensive narrative that the suspect might have been radicalized in the U.S.; should we deport ourselves then? Might as well all of the country to Gitmo to be sure.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's chilling how Gitmo is just really the place you send brown dudes to just for the sake of torturing them. That's really what that quote reads like.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm going into the tin-foil minority here but this reeks of a false flag attack. So many things seem a bit...off about this. Hopefully he was just unnerved, or an idiot but the lack of planning, the lack of mayhem, and the lack of intentions from the information gathered so far is bizarre.

He even had a note that claimed his ISIS affiliation which reminded me of that "NO FOUL PLAY" suicide note of Paul W. Smith.

I hope I'm wrong.

Pretty sure it was revealed by authorities this morning that he had been planning for weeks. I also have no idea what you mean by lack of mayhem or lack of intentions.

Pbae

Oct 26, 2017
Pretty sure it was revealed by authorities this morning that he had been planning for weeks. I also have no idea what you mean by lack of mayhem or lack of intentions.

The purpose of most terrorist attacks is to sow as much chaos, doubt and confusion in the affected area. It's meant to show that no one is safe.

This individual, if planned for weeks, didn't really plan it all that well, which is a godsend but rather odd.

This was Halloween in Manhattan where there could have been many more pedestrian packed areas to choose. It was somewhat near the WTC area but with that type of vehicle, he could have gotten closer. He didn't have access to firearms even though ISIS propaganda recently suggested obtaining them due to there ease of access in America yet he had a paintball and a pellet gun. This and other things that seemed rather odd when you consider the previous terrorist acts carried out by ISIS or it's affiliates.

Once again, I hope this is more black and white but I can't shake the idea of conspiracy.

17 Seconds

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

I hope I'm wrong.

don't worry, you are.

Oct 27, 2017
The purpose of most terrorist attacks is to sow as much chaos, doubt and confusion in the affected area. It's meant to show that no one is safe.

This individual, if planned for weeks, didn't really plan it all that well, which is a godsend but rather odd.

This was Halloween in Manhattan where there could have been many more pedestrian packed areas to choose. It was somewhat near the WTC area but with that type of vehicle, he could have gotten closer. He didn't have access to firearms even though ISIS propaganda recently suggested obtaining them due to there ease of access in America yet he had a paintball and a pellet gun. This and other things that seemed rather odd when you consider the previous terrorist acts carried out by ISIS or it's affiliates.

Once again, I hope this is more black and white but I can't shake the idea of conspiracy.

Except authorities also said that he appeared to follow ISIS instructions distributed online on how to commit such an attack "to a T." I'm starting to suspect that you are willfully misinformed on this topic.

AaronB

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Did anyone else notice CNN's 36pt font banner across the bottom last evening:

"TRUCK DRIVES OVER CYCLISTS IN NYC"

Pbae

Oct 26, 2017
I understand that's what it looks like yes but I'm also referring to the analysis based from counter intelligence analyst like Malcolm Nance, and other contributors.

Pbae

Oct 26, 2017
No I want sources that state why they're very confident on their assessment of the acts with the knowledge available at the time.

I'm looking for reasons why he would be so inefficient at the attack when it's been reported that he wasn't an active terror suspect and had time to better prepare. I want to know why he chose that spot and why he would choose that time of day during Halloween.

The articles I've read state that it's an assumed terror attack as opposed to verified.

Pbae

Oct 26, 2017
Just admit you want it to be a false flag so you can place the blame on "right people"

Yes I do. It would make more sense to me than to think that a person who migrated here would want to harm us rather than creating a better life for themselves and their family. It's this lack of information that create assumptions like this that I believe could be a possibility due to the nature of the news, the timing the news hit and the actions of those in charge.

Oct 25, 2017

Randoms who decide to go off and kill innocent people usually aren't the most well adjusted people, it's silly to try and apply logic to them like you're picking plot holes in a Hollywood blockbuster.

Yes, it's politically convenient. Yes, Trump and his administration will try and milk every last drop of coverage out of this. No, that doesn't mean it was a false flag attack.

Hat22

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada

You could start by proving this quickly since your entire argument depends on this idea. The very idea itself is just mysticism as far as I'm concerned.

I seriously doubt that this was a false flag or that Trump orchestrated anything to propel himself to the role of dictator. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

I know they existed before him, but what I'm getting at is Trump's unfiltered approach to tweeting is the perfect kind of ammo IS needs to recruit.

Islam has been established since childhood to be the core of somebodies identity and they hold the Qu'ran to be fact. They're presented a fundamentalist view of Islam that rejects social democracy and calls for violent action and the text seems match the interpretation that they've been given. They take the the teachings to heart and block out everything else as their new interpretation demands fanaticism. Pretty much the story of any extremist.

These tweets are literally nothing compared to the decline of the Islamic world, the numerous atrocities committed against Muslims and the problematic nature of certain religious texts and fundamentalist clerics. Every western country is experiencing attacks and this trend towards fundamentalist extremism predates Trump, Bush and even the first world war. The US is a major power but it isn't responsible for everything.

The articles I've read state that it's an assumed terror attack as opposed to verified.

The person at the press event stated that they're investigating this as a terrorist attack based on the claims of people who saw the "attack" happen.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Yes I do. It would make more sense to me than to think that a person who migrated here would want to harm us rather than creating a better life for themselves and their family. It's this lack of information that create assumptions like this that I believe could be a possibility due to the nature of the news, the timing the news hit and the actions of those in charge.

Are you aware of how people are groomed and radicalized?

And do you believe the Edmonton attack in late September was also a false flag attack?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/terrorism-charges-edmonton-attacks-1.4316450

Oct 27, 2017
Trump announced he's gonna terminate the diversity lottery program. Pretty amazing how swift he is with this but did nothing about gun laws after Las Vegas.
I mean terrorists are brown and black.

/s

Trump is such a damn contradiction, talks about PC but he won't call out white radicals which have done the most domestic terrorism lol

Pbae

Oct 26, 2017
And do you believe the Edmonton attack in late September was also a false flag attack?

No I do not, but I think you're missing the point of my posts; it's a possibility, not the answer. I won't knock out the possibility of such a crazy scenario especially in the wake of what's been happening lately and the blatant lies and corruption coming directly from the top of the WH.

It's admittedly far fetched, but I won't deny the possibility. The suspect is alive, if he talks, we'll get more concrete information.