• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lozjam

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
So.... Let's talk about something I am sure we have all erased from existence from our minds as this occurs.

Mighty No. 9.

It is one of the most infamous of Kickstarter games ever conceived, and it certainly was a disappointment for all. After mishap after mishap, bad trailers after bad trailers, delay after delay, broken codes after broken codes, non shipped physical goods to non shipped physical goods, Mighty No. 9 continued to screw up. It seemed like Mighty No. 9 will never stop its ludicrous, logistical train wreck.

However, this story is not even over. During the kickstarter campaign, they promised they would bring Mighty No. 9 to both the 3DS and Vita. Mighty No. 9 released in June of 2016 on all of the other consoles. It was a disappointing, broken mess, no matter what console it was played on. However, Comcept has remained silent ever since. The 3DS and Vita versions have never been seen. Apparently , Comcept claimed that these 2 versions of the game were still on the way last June. However, we still have not seen a singe screenshot.

We have not seen a single screenshot of either of these ports, however, that's not the only ironic thing here.
Within the time that Mighty No. 9 released and now, Intie Creates had the time to create a brand new Mighty No. 9 game from the ground up, for both the 3DS and Nintendo Switch.
e1J8b7zJ-PbLhD00KjUd8ffX3L8sCiRw.png

Yes. You heard that right. Another developer had the time to make a brand new game(one that is far better than the original) before we have even seen a screenshot for a port of this game. And for 3DS, the same console they wanted to port it too as well(with some extra Switch goodness).

Not only this, but Capcom, the company of which Comcept was supposed to spite, created a brand new Megaman Game and has showed it off.
MegaMan11_screen02.jpeg

Which, I must admit, is a tad hilarious. Everybody backed No. 9 to replace Megaman and Capcom. Only for it to be the opposite. And yet the developers at Comcept have not given any concrete information on ports they announced 5 years ago.

The other thing that is interesting, is that the Vita is completely dead at this point. The Nintendo Switch has replaced the mindshare of the vita, within many hardcore communities, and the 3DS is pretty much on its way off. Even if these games release, we know it won't do well. It's a port of one of the most widely despised games, on consoles with dwindling and numbered support..

So, I suppose for this thread. I just wanted to let you know. Never forget! The Vita and 3DS ports of Mighty No. 9 that never surfaced. And I suppose you should all get a sensible chuckle from this whole debacle as well. Especially as we sit on the horizon of every Megaman game being on modern consoles, the X games on their way, and a brand new megaman game as well. I just also find it hilarious that a brand new, through the ground up game was conceived, made, and was polished to a sheen was made in the time it took for Comcept to come up with 2 ports. So Era, I hope you have received a sensible chuckle from all of this.
giphy.gif

And never forget!

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
And we never will

For fear of this being a drive buy post I'll also add the 3DS version was being developed by Renegade kid before they went belly it. It wouldn't surprise me if they never found another company to work on it.

Dooble

Oct 28, 2017
infafune talked so much shit only to have it backfire it so much. i have never seen a japanese be so unmodest.

Tagg

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The 3DS and Vita are practically dead at this point. They could release it for Switch and reimburse the Vita backers (if they have the money!).

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah they are canceled. I don't think anyone really cares anymore though, except as a means to point out how botched Mighty No. 9 was in general

Adam802

Banned
Feb 12, 2018
It's dead. Even the devs/creators have surely abandoned it, and rightfully so imo.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't they announce half a year ago that now that Level 5 absorbed Comcept that the 3DS and Vita versions were on the way soon?

Don't forget that this week we're getting MN9 for free for PS3 and PS4 to PS+ subscribers before there's one screenshot of the handheld version they promised in 2013.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Will never forget Inafune talking about Okamoto after he left Capcom.

1UP: OK, a couple quick one: Onimusha, what's going on with that, and how do you feel about Genji, the Onimusha rip-off made by former Capcom employee Yoshiki Okamoto's Game Republic?

KI: First of all, please don't group Onimusha and that Genji game together. Personally I'd wonder about someone who says "I don't want to make an Onimusha sequel" and then leaves the company and goes off and makes a rip-off of Onimusha.

Always comes to my mind when thinking about MN9. At least Genji was a actual good game.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sony had nothing to do with this game
Why would they do that
I know, I mean they should force the developer to make up for their promise or refund the people who bought it.
Lol. Why? Sony didn't make this game. May I remind you it's also on XB1, X360, WiiU, Windows, Linux and Mac too? That's besides PS3, PS4 and the promised Vita and 3DS.
I don't mean Sony it self.

OP
OP
Lozjam

Lozjam

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
Didn't they announce half a year ago that now that Level 5 absorbed Comcept that the 3DS and Vita versions were on the way soon?

Don't forget that this week we're getting MN9 for free for PS3 and PS4 to PS+ subscribers before there's one screenshot of the handheld version they promised in 2013.
However, this story is not even over. During the kickstarter campaign, they promised they would bring Mighty No. 9 to both the 3DS and Vita. Mighty No. 9 released in June of 2016 on all of the other consoles. It was a disappointing, broken mess, no matter what console it was played on. However, Comcept has remained silent ever since. The 3DS and Vita versions have never been seen. Apparently , Comcept claimed that these 2 versions of the game were still on the way last June. However, we still have not seen a singe screenshot.

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
We should be happy with what we got, as a wise man once said:

"It's better than nothing"

Rhete

Oct 27, 2017
On the physical PS4 version it claims the game is cross-buy with PS3 and Vita and contains download codes. So there is still some false advertising going on

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But again, why Sony? This was a kickstarter campaign, this is part of the risk of backing something.
I don't mean that Sony should be the one to refund it. The developer should be the one to pay back the people who got it if they can't do what they promised. I just mean that if somebody at Sony could tell them to do so.

Or you know what, fuck it. People have surely learned because of it so it was not a waste.

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
Scam of the decade? everything about this game was such a trainwreck. i can't imagine how bad the backers must feel.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't mean that Sony should be the one to refund it. The developer should be the one to pay back the people who got it if they can't do what they promised. I just mean that if somebody at Sony could tell them to do so.

Or you know what, fuck it. People have surely learned because of it so it was not a waste.

No, we know you're saying Sony shouldn't refund. We're asking why should Sony put pressure on the developer?

osnameless

Jan 13, 2018
I wonder what happened to Red Ash? The game I mean, I don't give a crap about the anime.

It didn't reach its Kickstarter goal but they said the game will be made regardless after it was funded by some Chinese company. Of course that was before the studio was acquired by Level-5

This hardly pertains to your post. But there this good recap video about the downfall of Mighty No.9, and it actually cast a light on some interesting aspects to the failure of that game. The video is made by Stop Skeletons from Fighting as port of their Post Mortem series.

Hellraider

Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
I want a huge, elaborate to the last detail for every single yen spent, every single person that was directly or indirectly connected to this project, post mortem so damn much. I didn't back the original kickstarter, but I sure as hell would patreon that investigation.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Which, I must admit, is a tad hilarious. Everybody backed No. 9 to replace Megaman and Capcom. Only for it to be the opposite. And yet the developers at Comcept have not given any concrete information on ports they announced 5 years ago.

I'll always remember those comics as long as I live

c0c.jpg

mighty_no__9_vs_mega_man_by_mikematei-d6luqz2.jpg

passthetorch_by_suzur4glt8.jpg

PIMPBYBLUD

Oct 27, 2017
Insert "Conman.jpg"

Wasn't this game horrible or bland when it came out? I remember it didn't review well but can't remember why.

LuigiMario

Oct 28, 2017
Though in their best interest to follow through, or at least formally cancel, you aren't guaranteed anything with Kickstarter and let mighty no. 9 be a setpiece example of that.

I don't really get why so many people feel so screwed over when they weren't preordering anything, just funding a studio to create a new IP across a goal of 8 different platforms for a relatively small amount of money. Sure, comcepts communication sucked, and they definitely bit off way more than they could chew (why did they target so many platforms?), but I think it's kind of stupid that people are still so hung up on this games failure. Also, the game was poorly received... is there anyone yearning for a late port of it beyond the fact it was something targeted they failed to deliver?

Mighty No. 9 flopped, just move on lol.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
One of the few Kickstarter projects I backed and by far the worst.

I remember when they showed a mock-up and then shattered people's hopes and dreams with the first in-game footage.

Fucking Inafune tho. What does this motherfucker even do?