• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

convo

Oct 25, 2017
I think their first explanation was about them not finding a way to please everyone, does the digital deluxe edition include all the dlc?
Jeff Gerstmann always suggested to give the upgrade to all who bought all the dlc, and that seems reasonable. Their explanation rather sounded like "if we can't please a subset of people we won't offer anything to anyone", and that seems like a flimsy excuse to get more money out of people by not allowing to buy cheaper last gen versions and forcing people to get the shiny new version. Perhaps they'll say that saves aren't compatible between versions but i doubt it will help them now.

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
I think their first explanation was about them not finding a way to please everyone, does the digital deluxe edition include all the dlc?
Standard edition:

Screen_Shot_2019_08_20_at_9.49.46_AM.png

Digital deluxe edition:

Screen_Shot_2019_08_20_at_9.18.25_AM.png

People who had the season pass also couldn't get the ultimate edition for free until they had redeemed the "free" version of The Foundation and AWE expansions (a requirement to access them in game). Just having those two as "purchased" seemed to be the trigger for the PSN to read the UE as being owned by the user rather than purchasable rather than the outfit DLC or the extra side mission impacting it but who knows what's going on in this big pile of fuck up.

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
Jeff Gerstmann always suggested to give the upgrade to all who bought all the dlc, and that seems reasonable. Their explanation rather sounded like "if we can't please a subset of people we won't offer anything to anyone", and that seems like a flimsy excuse to get more money out of people by not allowing to buy cheaper last gen versions and forcing people to get the shiny new version. Perhaps they'll say that saves aren't compatible between versions but i doubt it will help them now.
Basically anyone that bought the Digital Deluxe edition could be easily upgraded. Anyone that bought Digitial + Season Pass could be upgraded. The problem would be folks that only bought the Digital or Disc alone and the People that bought Disc plus season pass. They would be harder to upgrade since they are not making a Next Gen version without the DLC built in. However it is doable and any excuse saying it is a technical problem is silly.

convo

Oct 25, 2017
Basically anyone that bought the Digital Deluxe edition could be easily upgraded. Anyone that bought Digitial + Season Pass could be upgraded. The problem would be folks that only bought the Digital or Disc alone and the People that bought Disc plus season pass. They would be harder to upgrade since they are not making a Next Gen version without the DLC built in. However it is doable and any excuse saying it is a technical problem is silly.
For the people that bought only digital version, they could just tell them to buy the dlc to get the next gen upgrade. Disc people might have a problem since the Series S doesn't have one, can't do much than buy digital again.

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
For the people that bought only digital version, they could just tell them to buy the dlc to get the next gen upgrade. Disc people might have a problem since the Series S doesn't have one, can't do much then buy digital again.
Discounting the UE for people that already own a piece of the game seems like the best compromise but they clearly have no interest in doing that.

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
I own the disc and bought Season Pass separately because I wanted the Steelbook, which there as no option to get Season Pass with it. I'd be fine with a tiny MTX ($5-10) to upgrade and use the disc as a key. If they stick to their guns of having to buy the new version, I'll finish up the DLC and be done with the game and 505 since it doesn't seem like they are even trying.

What's more funny is that on PSN, the regular game is $60 but the Ultimate Edition if $40.

hrœrekr

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 3, 2019
I bought this game on PS4, and after not able to play with the abysmal performance I waited and bought for PC.
I wanted to support the game and didn't bother the double-dip. But after this shitshow with next-gen versions I regret. Will skip their games entirely from now.

Justice_DP

Jan 28, 2020
Isn't the problem Microsoft's policy? (see also COD situation, where olny the disc for XSX comes with the XBO version)
As far as we know 505 wanted to charge players for the upgrade. Sony allows for this. MS told them no, you have to use Smart Delivery and that's that.
So theoretically it would be possible on PS4 to 5 in the way the publisher intened (charge for upgrade), but not for Xbox. And thus they decided to go with the strategy to charge all.

Theecliff

Oct 28, 2017
of all the hills to die on over this stupid decision, why did 505 games have to make it on Control's? played through it for the first time a few months ago and despite the terrible performance issues on PS4 it's a legitimately great game, so it's a shame to see it embroiled in this silly mess. if 505 really wanted squeeze a bit more juice out of this lemon then they should have just asked for a upgrade fee upfront for all versions and been done with it. instead they just created this PR gaff.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure what Remedy being a public company has to do with anything.

And I'm not sure that this decision is going to make them more money either even if they get a cut of every game sold. The backlash to this has been real. A lot of people have said they aren't buying the game because of it. Does that lost revenue negate the people rebuying the game at $40 to get the upgrade? I'm not going to pretend to know. Sure doesn't look like it's been good for Remedy, from my perspective. Sure looks to have damaged their reputation significantly.
You being not sure is exactly my point but you've been sure enough to shield them from any criticism or backlash which is silly to me given what we know at this point. They should feel it as much as 505 unless they state otherwise.

zer0_X

Alt-Account
Banned
Apr 23, 2020
Isn't the problem Microsoft's policy? (see also COD situation, where olny the disc for XSX comes with the XBO version)
As far as we know 505 wanted to charge players for the upgrade. Sony allows for this. MS told them no, you have to use Smart Delivery and that's that.
So theoretically it would be possible on PS4 to 5 in the way the publisher intened (charge for upgrade), but not for Xbox. And thus they decided to go with the strategy to charge all.
Calling a pro-consumer policy a problem make you seem like a greedy white collar (or someone who wants to please devs bc you either worked for them or you want leaks to keep on coming)

jesterkap2

Oct 28, 2017
Absolute bullshit. I can't believe they are doing my game of the generation so dirty. Fuck 505 (and I guess Remedy). How many possible extra sells can this lead to that overwhelms this horrible word of mouth? This game only succeeded on word of mouth as far as I can tell. The critical praise and glowing reviews pushed me to look into it whereas I was initially turned off because it seemed so generic. I ended up loving it and then playing Quantum Break and Alan Wake American's Nightmare off the strength of Control. It's anecdotal of course, but I feel like this was a mistake. Maybe it only matters in communities like this though. In general people probably don't give a damn about it.

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
I think this is the default way that PSN handles bundles when you own all of the content in it, so they do have to go out of their way to make that ownership not transfer over.

Otnopolit

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not going to hold my breath, but as a fan/owner of Control's season pass on PS4, and a hopeful future PS5 owner, I really hope Remedy says to 505 "Get your shit together and release the free upgrade."

And they almost have me too, because ever since this game came out I wanted to experience it with Ray Tracing. Must hold strong.

Last edited:

KepperC

Jul 17, 2020
The exact reason why they couldn't do the upgrade likely wasn't a technical limitation, and more that 505 needs to push this Ultimate Edition as it has new remuneration terms for Remedy. Well, I think that's the case.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
You being not sure is exactly my point but you've been sure enough to shield them from any criticism or backlash which is silly to me given what we know at this point. They should feel it as much as 505 unless they state otherwise.
I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt because they appear to have dropped 505 like a brick and these decisions are made by the publisher. We don't know that this decision by the publisher benefits them at all. All we know is that they haven't given a comment on it, and there are lots of contractual reasons why that might be. They don't appear to have promoted the release of the Ultimate edition on consoles and EGS this week on their official twitter for example, which strikes me as pretty telling.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
And I'm not sure that this decision is going to make them more money either even if they get a cut of every game sold. The backlash to this has been real. A lot of people have said they aren't buying the game because of it. Does that lost revenue negate the people rebuying the game at $40 to get the upgrade? I'm not going to pretend to know. Sure doesn't look like it's been good for Remedy, from my perspective. Sure looks to have damaged their reputation significantly.

I had bought the Season Pass after the AWE reveal at the Sony event, and was lucky enough with my timing to get a refund. My original plan was to buy the Ultimate Edition either on the Epic Store (w/ my -$10 coupon) or on Xbox with some freebie credit that would bring the total price down to about $25. My exact rationale was that I had been happy buying the full-price Season Pass @ $25, so this wasn't so different.

Now? No. I just don't want anything to do with them. That will almost definitely change with time, but I know how I feel about it right now, and I have no shortage of other games I'd rather spend my time on.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt because they appear to have dropped 505 like a brick and these decisions are made by the publisher. We don't know that this decision by the publisher benefits them at all. All we know is that they haven't given a comment on it, and there are lots of contractual reasons why that might be. They don't appear to have promoted the release of the Ultimate edition on consoles and EGS this week on their official twitter for example, which strikes me as pretty telling.
LOL @ "appeared to have dropped 505 like a brick." It appears they're deal has simply ran it's course unless you know something more than I do. It appears you suffer from confirmation bias and are looking at everything in such a way to give Remedy the benefit of the doubt at every turn based on nothing and actively shielding them from any criticism and backlash because I can only assume you like them as a development studio but fail to acknowledge them as a public company, that owns the IP, financed a significant amount of this game before choosing and negotiating a deal with 505 that likely includes a percentage of the profits that this decision made by their publisher has made that is intended to generate more revenue.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
LOL @ "appeared to have dropped 505 like a brick." It appears they're deal has simply ran it's course unless you know something more than I do. It appears you suffer from confirmation bias and are looking at everything in such a way to give Remedy the benefit of the doubt at every turn based on nothing and actively shielding them from any criticism and backlash because I can only assume you like them as a development studio but fail to acknowledge them as a public company, that owns the IP, financed a significant amount of this game before choosing and negotiating a deal with 505 that likely includes a percentage of the profits that this decision made by their publisher has made that is intended to generate more revenue.
You still haven't explained why it matters that they're a public company.

And again, I think that their official twitter hasn't promoted the release of the Ultimate edition this week is *pretty telling*. If they're all about the bottom line and onboard with 505's decision, as you presume... why wouldn't they promote the release?

Yes, I like Remedy's games, but I would give any development studio in their position the benefit of the doubt.

The gaming press reports the story

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
"A lack of Control around the whole situation." - Android Central
"505 Games Contradicts Themselves With Control Ultimate Edition Blunder" - LordsofGaming
"505 & Remedy Under Fire After A Mistake With Deploying Control Upgrades Digital Deluxe To Ultimate Edition" - HappyGamer
"Control Deluxe Edition owners accidentally get upgraded to Ultimate Edition after 505 said it wasn't possible." - VG247
"Control PS5 Upgrade Controversy Worsens as Owners Accidentally Get Free Access to Ultimate Edition" - PushSquare
"505 Games expose themselves after accidentally giving Control owners Ultimate Edition" - AltChar
"505 Games Accidently Gives Control Owners Ultimate Edition Games After Claiming it Was Impossible" - Glitched.online

" Control Deluxe Edition owners are abruptly upgraded and then downgraded, which stands in opposition to an earlier statement from 505 and Remedy. " - GameRant
" The impossible turned out to be quite possible, just a pity that the "bug" was quickly fixed. " - Gram.pl (polish)
"Control's cross-gen controversy reignites after some PS4 owners accidentally upgraded free" - Eurogamer
"505 Games makes a blunder; Upgrade to PS5 edition of Control that was not possible turns out to be possible" - PSX Sense (Dutch)
"Control: Ultimate Edition was temporarily shown as being owned by Digital Deluxe owners on PS4" - TheSixthAxis
"News received very favorably by the community which already imagined a change of course on the part of 505 Games... So it would seem that this was just a mistake, to the chagrin of users" - JeuxVideo (French)
"CONTROL - 505 GAMES SWORE IT WAS IMPOSSIBLE, BUT OWNERS OF THE DELUXE EDITION WERE ABLE TO GRAB THE ULTIMATE EDITION" - WarLegend (French)
"Paid next-gen upgrade Control reveals lies and deceptions" - Gamesite (Slovak)
"Control : 505 Games enables free Ultimate Upgrade and takes it away from players" - XboxDynasty (German)
"Although the publisher claimed this was impossible, for countless Control owners, the Deluxe version has changed to Ultimate" IGN Hungary
"Control's PS4 owners get — then lose — Ultimate Edition granting next-gen upgrade" - ReportDoor
"Control's Deluxe Edition accidentally upgrades to Ultimate Edition, despite Remedy claiming it was impossible" - TheDigitalFix
"Control Players Accidentally Upgraded to Ultimate Edition Before Having Access Revoked" - XboxAchievements
"This is getting absurd: 505 Games has accidentally upgraded owners of the Digital Deluxe edition of Control to the Ultimate Edition (which includes next-gen compatibility) - and then reversed it" - SportsGaming
"At this point, it seems increasingly and incredibly unlikely 505 Games is actually restricted from providing players an upgrade. " - TechTelegraph
"What has happened in the past few hours, however, shows that there are no such problems and it will be interesting to understand if the company wants to intervene on the issue to explain what really happened." - Aroged
" Launch date gaffe on PlayStation Store makes a fishy explanation even fishier " - Polygon
"The Mystery Around Control's Next-Gen Upgrade Restrictions Takes Another Weird Turn" - Kotaku
"Control snafu shows how one publisher is struggling with next-gen upgrades" - ArsTechnica
"Control Deluxe Edition Owners Accidentally Upgraded to Ultimate Edition After 505 Claimed It's Impossible" - Playstation LifeStyle

"Control publisher 505 Games offered an explanation of sorts for why upgrades wouldn't be available unless you purchased the Ultimate Edition, but that explanation hasn't sat well with fans." - Comicbook
"While Remedy and 505 Games scramble to justify charging a near-full retail price for players to upgrade Control to next-gen specifications, everyone else is happy to let you trade up for free." - TheDigitalFix
"After saying it was impossible, 505 Games accidentally releases free Control upgrade to PS5" - Adrenaline (Portugese)
"505 Games does the "miracle" and performs a free upgrade to the Ultimate version for all owners of the Deluxe Edition of Control - which is not possible according to the statements of the publisher -, but it all turns out to be a sensational mistake." - DrCommodore (Italian)
"Control Deluxe Edition Players Get Ultimate Edition Upgrade, Then Have It Removed" - Gamespot
"New chapter in the controversy with 505 Games, the publisher of Control" - Somag News
"505 Games claimed it was impossible to provide the upgrade to non-Ultimate Edition owners. This has now proven to be a lie." - KitGuru
"Control: Digital Deluxe becomes Ultimate Edition, but this is a mistake" - Asapland
"Control's Accidental Ultimate Upgrade Contradicts 505's Next-Gen Excuse" - ScreenRant
"Control is updated to the Ultimate Edition by mistake although 505 Games said it was impossible, making the controversy worse." - IGN Spain
"The upgrade path that 505 Games said wasn't possible has this week been granted and revoked from players on PS4." - GameReactor
"505 Games has accidentally upgraded deluxe editions of Control, despite having previously said that doing so wasn't possible." - TheGamer
"REMEDY UNDER FIRE FOR ACCIDENTAL CONTROL EDITIONS DEBACLE" - KeenGamer
"Remedy accidentally upgrades, then downgrades, Control Deluxe Edition after saying it wasn't possible" - GamesRadar
"Control Ultimate Edition upgrades were mysteriously given away & then revoked on PS4" - ShackNews
"Control's Free PS5 Upgrade Appears After 505 Games Said Was Impossible" - SegmentNext
"CONTROL DELUXE EDITION OWNERS ON PSN "ACCIDENTALLY" GETS UPGRADED TO ULTIMATE EDITION" - SirusGaming
"Control Digital Deluxe Edition Players Briefly Able to Upgrade to Ultimate Edition for Free; Lose Access 24 Hours Later and Asked to Pay" - NicheGamer
"It was previously stated that a free upgrade would not be possible " - NME
"505 Games accidentally provides free upgrade for Control Ultimate Edition before withdrawing it. A lack of Control around the whole situation." - Windows Central
"Control owners get 'impossible' free upgrade, then have it taken away" - MetroUK
"An already angered fan base for the game now has more reasons to be legitimately upset with 505 and developer Remedy, as it seems clear that the deluxe version of Control and its Ultimate Edition are the same product but with different names. " - DualShockers
"Despite Claims it Was Impossible, Control: Ultimate Edition Was Briefly Available to Season Pass Owners. Well, this is awkward." - FanByte
"Control PS4 Owners Suddenly Get Ultimate Upgrade, Then Lose It. Looks like a switch got flipped somewhere." - USGamer
"Control Next-Gen Upgrade Paywall Is Just Wrong and Tarnishes the Franchise" - SP1st
"505 Games Is Triple Dipping with Control Ultimate Edition" - Console Creatures

How much bad publicity DO you take before you make amends?

... The day is still young.

Last edited:

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Alright, lets stop with any question of "technical" limitations to offering an upgrade:

There aren't any, period.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
The lie was obvious from the start, but it's nice to have it so blatantly confirmed.

@505, listen, you wanna do some damage control? I got just the thing for ya. Upgrade every Deluxe owner for free, and lie through your teeth that while you were WORKING on a solution to do JUST that, it glitched and launched prematurely.

Anything else and you're just digging the hole deeper.

I don't own Control nor do I ever plan to, so I'm not in it for myself. :P

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You still haven't explained why it matters that they're a public company.

And again, I think that their official twitter hasn't promoted the release of the Ultimate edition this week is *pretty telling*. If they're all about the bottom line and onboard with 505's decision, as you presume... why wouldn't they promote the release?
As a public company, they're beholden to their shareholders in revenue growth.

We have no idea why they're not promoting the release of the Ultimate edition on their official twitter. However if I'm biased in wanting to give Remedy the benefit of the doubt at any turn and actively shield and protect them from any criticism and backlash that this decision their publisher, they chose to make deal with using their IP, had made, then perhaps I will read more into it and interpret it to reinforce my bias.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
As a public company, they're beholden to their shareholders in revenue growth.

We have no idea why they're not promoting the release of the Ultimate edition on their official twitter. However if I'm biased in wanting to give Remedy the benefit of the doubt at any turn and actively shield and protect them from any criticism and backlash that this decision their publisher, they chose to make deal with using their IP, had made, then perhaps I will read more into it and interpret it to reinforce my bias.
Look, we disagree on how much blame we should *presume* Remedy should face given all the things we don't know. That's it. You think they should get equal blame to the publisher. I don't.

I'm not convinced this move is going to make them money. So again, I don't see the relevance of them being a public company. It might make them money. It might cost them money. Hard to say really if you ask me.

I have no idea why you think I'm 'actively shielding them from any criticism and backlash'. There's plenty of both in this thread that I haven't responded to or argued with. I haven't told anyone not to boycott Remedy games over this, and there are people in this thread who feel that way. If I'm some kind of Remedy defense force, I'm pretty terrible at it.

psionotic

May 29, 2019
Obviously not.

Upgrade to ultimate edition for 9.99 would have gone down far better, probably made them more money.

Yeah, and I wouldn't have even been mad. AC: Black Flag did the same thing between the previous generation and this one, and I didn't blink.

But this bullshit? No, f--- 505 for their greedy, dissembling bullshit.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Look, we disagree on how much blame we should *presume* Remedy should face given all the things we don't know. That's it. You think they should get equal blame to the publisher. I don't.
I never said they deserve equal blame to the publisher. However they shouldn't be completely absolved from any of it either.
I'm not convinced this move is going to make them money. So again, I don't see the relevance of them being a public company. It might make them money. It might cost them money. Hard to say really if you ask me.
I said this move is INTENDED to generate more revenue. Whether it succeeds or fails is another issue. I'm just highly doubtful that a public company would be against or have an issue by this decision made from their publisher, that they chose to make a deal with their IP. As a consumer getting fucked over by this decision, I think it's safer to assume they don't, until they state otherwise, and Remedy should feel the full backlash and criticism as much as 505.
I have no idea why you think I'm 'actively shielding them from any criticism and backlash'. There's plenty of both in this thread that I haven't responded to or argued with. I haven't told anyone not to boycott Remedy games over this, and there are people in this thread who feel that way. If I'm some kind of Remedy defense force, I'm pretty terrible at it.
A poster asked who they should be mad at: Remedy or 505; and you told them 505.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
I never said they deserve equal blame to the publisher.

This reads that way to me:
They should feel it as much as 505 unless they state otherwise.

Moving on.

I said this move is INTENDED to generate more revenue. Whether it succeeds or fails is another issue. I'm just highly doubtful that a public company would be against or have an issue by this decision made from their publisher, that they chose to make a deal with their IP. As a consumer getting fucked over by this decision, I think it's safer to assume they don't, until they state otherwise, and Remedy should feel the backlash and criticism as much as 505.
505 clearly think it will generate revenue. We have no idea if Remedy think it will. There's evidence they don't (not proof!) so I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt. Of course, I could be wrong, but like I say, that would be my stance in any situation like this regardless of the dev.

A poster asked who they should be mad at: Remedy or 505; and you told them 505.
Yes, I answered a question with my opinion. That's not shielding them from any criticism or backlash. There is plenty of both in this thread that I haven't even responded to, let alone challenged or 'shielded' Remedy from.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, I answered a question with my opinion. That's not shielding them from any criticism or backlash. There is plenty of both in this thread that I haven't even responded to, let alone challenged or 'shielded' Remedy from.
It started our interaction and you giving them the benefit of the doubt at any turn and continuing shielding and protecting of Remedy which you continue to do. Sure it's your opinion but it's all based on nothing you're sure about and neither am I, hence all the more reason they shouldn't be getting the benefit of the doubt especially as a customer who's getting fucked over by this deal.

SirNick

Aug 26, 2020
I'm disappointed in a lot of those so-called news sites, they haven't even confirmed anything.

I already posted an explanation of what is very likely to be the case with Control but everyone's ignoring it conveniently. It's a lot easier to just pretend that this was some nefarious plan to deny people something they perceive to be entitled to instead of discussing it.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'm disappointed in a lot of those so-called news sites, they haven't even confirmed anything.

I already posted an explanation of what is very likely to be the case with Control but everyone's ignoring it conveniently. It's a lot easier to just pretend that this was some nefarious plan to deny people something they perceive to be entitled to instead of discussing it.
The vast majority of them have reached out to 505 and Remedy for explanation and clarification and haven't heard back.

The initial excuse given was clear as mud in the first place.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
It started our interaction and you giving them the benefit of the doubt at any turn and continuing shielding and protecting of Remedy which you continue to do. Sure it's your opinion but it's all based on nothing you're sure about and neither am I, hence all the more reason they shouldn't be getting the benefit of the doubt especially as a customer who's getting fucked over by this deal.
'Exactly because we don't know stuff, is why we shouldn't give them benefit of the doubt' is still a really weird take to me. Like, the less we know, the more reason to give the party that isn't usually responsible for decisions like this the benefit of the doubt. We're going in circles at this point, so I'm happy to leave it here.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
'Exactly because we don't know stuff, is why we shouldn't give them benefit of the doubt' is still a really weird take to me. Like, the less we know, the more reason to give the party that isn't usually responsible for decisions like this the benefit of the doubt. We're going in circles at this point, so I'm happy to leave it here.
I've pointed out the stuff that we do know though but you let your bias completely cloud everything to give them the benefit of the doubt no matter what. Must be nice for Remedy.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
I'll never understand posts like this in these kinds of threads. You're a consumer - if you want to let cash hungry publishers bend you over then just carry on with your business and don't bother posting?

I agree. People need to stop being corporate apologists & thinking that they're their friends.

They couldn't care less about anyone but money.

SirNick

Aug 26, 2020
The vast majority of them have reached out to 505 and Remedy for explanation and clarification and haven't heard back.

The initial excuse given was clear as mud in the first place.
They aren't going to have a statement ready that quick. Not to mention that an average player like myself already has a plausible explanation of what likely happened. All of this occurred during the wee hours of the morning, and this exact situation has happened with other games. No one wants to be reasonable and objective and talk about possibilities. The majority of people just want to assume that they got a free upgrade and someone flipped the switch and revoked it.

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
So why do they think they can get away with charging $40 for the upgrade? It's not like the game sold a crap load for them to be like "yeah, the game was so popular that people are going to spend $40 for sure!" As far as I know the game didn't light up the charts so this is just a bizarre move.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
They aren't going to have a statement ready that quick. Not to mention that an average player like myself already has a plausible explanation of what likely happened. All of this occurred during the wee hours of the morning, and this exact situation has happened with other games. No one wants to be reasonable and objective and talk about possibilities. The majority of people just want to assume that they got a free upgrade and someone flipped the switch and revoked it.
Which, again, you might have a point if Overwatch, for instance, claimed that what happened was "impossible" to do, but that's not what happened. Even divorced from the actual "did they flip the wrong switch?" excuse, we have had actual developers talking about how 505's excuse was nonsense and many publishers doing the exact thing 505 said wasn't possible and providing upgrades for everyone. Journalists asked for clarification weeks ago and got no answer.

Hell, many Mafia owners got the new upgrade and that game was over 10 years old. CD Projekt RED outright gave the upgrade to every owner of Witcher 3 - across consoles, even to vanilla owners.

So 505's initial argument is being called into question, and when suddenly it can be done by accident (and I do believe it was a mistake; few people now believe it was intentional), it really strains their limp excuse even further.

Of course this was a mistake, but it's one they themselves stated couldn't be feasibly done while players, storeowners, and other developers all have discredited that explanation. The fact they just did it so easily by mistake is just embarrassing.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
So why do they think they can get away with charging $40 for the upgrade? It's not like the game sold a crap load for them to be like "yeah, the game was so popular that people are going to spend $40 for sure!" As far as I know the game didn't light up the charts so this is just a bizarre move.

To me it feels like a small publisher trying to make the most of their highest profile title... and consistently fucking it up because they're out of their league.

Uhyve

Oct 25, 2017
The idea that the assumption of a publisher making the publishing decisions is equal to the assumption that they've worked out some bizarre publishing arrangement is absurd.

It's quite common for a games developer to spend a large amount of money on a project before finding a publisher. This is probably the reason that they retained ownership of the IP, any suggestion that there is a deal further this is what requires evidence, as you are the one making the claim of an abnormal arrangement.

Also, public and private companies both have the same financial obligations toward their shareholders. The main difference between the two is that publicly traded companies trade publicly and also have to report certain information publicly.

Last edited: