• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Horo

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
A bit off topic but has the company ever revealed where they got the name 505 from? seems like such a random number.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
Marketing is expensive for sure. But many publishers and developers are wasting money on marketing that has no effect. I don't know how many times I saw indie developer say how paying "bigger" streamer to play the game resulted very low amounts of sales.

They have to know their audience, most don't or don't care.

A Dev who makes strategy games and does a sponsored stream with Quill18 to 1000 viewers will see more return of investment than sponsoring a stream with the Ninja's/Shroud's or DrDisrespect's who will stream to 10.000 to 100.000 viewers. Maybe even more total number of sales from Quill18's streams because those who watch him, are interested in strategy games.

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
Should've been on steam. They had no confidence in the sales of the game. It would've sold more than the bit they got from Epic.

denpanosekai

Oct 28, 2017
I wonder why people didn't buy Control, it seemed like a very mass market game (at least for the SP genre).

Personally as a ps4 player I was turned off by the various framerate issues. Which may have been patched by now, so I'm waiting for a deep discount since other games made it to the backlog.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
On the money distribution between Remedy and 505/Digital Bros, it sounds like Remedy wont get their 45% cut until 505/Digital Bros has their investment (manufacturing, distribution and marketing) out of it. https://newsclient.omxgroup.com/cdsPublic/viewDisclosure.action?disclosureId=911342&lang=en
Clarification regarding the Control game sales revenue recognition

Remedy Entertainment Plc | Company announcement 4:30 pm (EET) 14 November 2019

Clarification regarding the Control game sales revenue recognition

On Wednesday 13th November 2019, Digital Bros S.p.A. – the publishing partner of Remedy Entertainment Plc – released their first quarterly report of the financial year that started in July 2019. The report also covered the revenue recognition regarding sales of the Remedy-developed game Control, which was released on 27th August 2019. Digital Bros S.p.A. disclosed €17.7M of Control game sales recognition during 1.7.–30.9.2019. Also prior to this, Digital Bros S.p.A. had reported a revenue recognition of €9.5M during the financial year 1.7.2018–30.6.2019 based on the exclusive agreement regarding the distribution of Control's PC version on Epic Games Store.

On May 3rd 2017, Remedy announced the signing of a publishing agreement with Digital Bros S.p.A. regarding the Control game, and disclosed Remedy to receive 45% of game sales net revenue. The revenue share is calculated from net sales, which takes into account deductions such as retail and marketing costs of the game. Once the game starts to sell and before paying the game developer, the publisher is typically allowed to deduct upfront specific costs, such as manufacturing and distribution costs of physical game copies as well as marketing costs.

Additionally, revenue recognition practices differ between Remedy and Digital Bros S.p.A., as Remedy reports based on FAS and Digital Bros S.p.A. reports based on IFRS. Therefore, the figures reported by the companies are not comparable. Based on the aforementioned reasons and especially during the early phases of the game's sales, Control's revenue recognition to Remedy takes place with a delay and no direct conclusions can be drawn as to the recognition of net sales share based on the figures reported by Digital Bros S.p.A.

Remedy is commenting this matter with a company announcement as publicly available reports regarding the estimates of Control game sales revenue recognition do not – for the reasons described above – reflect the actual amount or timing of the 45 % net sales revenue to be recognised by Remedy.

Remedy's outlook remains unchanged as the company expects its revenue and profit to grow during 2019, as mentioned in the half-year report released on August 13th 2019.

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
That means Remedy definitely didn't yet make their money back. Before those deductions Remedy would've been in black. (or at least very near).
I did some quick basic math on page 2 (I'll link it below) which got me to Remedy's investment being €12.25mil to €22.25mil with at 45% them making €12.24mil, but didn't take those deductions for 505/Digital Bros into account. At this stage I don't see how Remedy will make their money back unless Microsoft and Sony pay a pretty penny to have the game on their services.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
I did some quick basic math on page 2 (I'll link it below) which got me to Remedy's investment being €12.25mil to €22.25mil with at 45% them making €12.24mil, but didn't take those deductions for 505/Digital Bros into account. At this stage I don't see how Remedy will make their money back unless Microsoft and Sony pay a pretty penny to have the game on their services.

And they get zero income from EGS until the sales guarantee is over. Best thing to do would be to bury the EGS release and drum up the Marketing again when it rereleases on Steam and other PC Stores.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Bumping this thread because it probably doesn't deserve it's own: Remedy will be publishing its full-year 2019 financial statements on 14 February 2020 at 9am
Remedy Entertainment Plc | Company announcement 2.00 pm (EET) 17 December 2019

Financial reporting and Annual General Meeting in 2020

Remedy publishes its full-year 2019 financial statements release on Friday, 14 February 2020 at 9.00.

The company's half-year review of January–June 2020 period will be published on 14 August 2020.

Annual report 2019 will be published during week 13 on Remedy's redesigned investor website at investors.remedygames.com

The Annual General Meeting is planned to be held on 6 April, 2020. The Board of Directors will give an official notice to the Annual General Meeting later.
Should hopefully give us a better insight in how Control has done for them financially this year

Last edited:
New Numbers

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
I'll just bump this thread instead of making a new one, but Digital Bros released their numbers for half year ending December 31st (so July 1st 2019 through December 31st 2019): https://www.digitalbros.com/wp-cont...the-half-year-report-at-31-December-2019-.pdf

Some numbers for how their games performed:
  • Control brought in €23.9mil in revenue. Seeing how it brought in €17.7mil between July 1st and September 30th it made €6.2mil between October 1st and December 31st. We also know from earlier reporting (year ending June 30th 2019) that Epic paid €9.49mil for the Epic Game Store exclusivity, so Control's revenue as of December 31st 2019 is now at €33.39mil
  • Bloodstained brought in €8.6mil in revenue. Seeing how it brought in €5.5mil between July 1st and September 30th it made €3.1mil between October 1st and December 31st
Control is also expected to contribute to the company's revenue growth in the coming quarters due to upcoming paid DLC and the upcoming Steam release.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I'll just bump this thread instead of making a new one, but Digital Bros released their numbers for half year ending December 31st (so July 1st 2019 through December 31st 2019): https://www.digitalbros.com/wp-cont...the-half-year-report-at-31-December-2019-.pdf

Some numbers for how their games performed:
  • Control brought in €23.9mil in revenue. Seeing how it brought in €17.7mil between July 1st and September 30th it made €6.2mil between October 1st and December 31st. We also know from earlier reporting (year ending June 30th 2019) that Epic paid €9.49mil for the Epic Game Store exclusivity, so Control's revenue as of December 31st 2019 is now at €33.39mil
  • Bloodstained brought in €8.6mil in revenue. Seeing how it brought in €5.5mil between July 1st and September 30th it made €3.1mil between October 1st and December 31st
Control is also expected to contribute to the company's revenue growth in the coming quarters due to upcoming paid DLC and the upcoming Steam release.
Can Shard Shinjuku threadmark this post? Folks might wander in here thinking the old numbers are current.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
I hope Sony paid a good amount for Control (PSNow) because despite the performance issues it's a phenomenal game.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Half the posts I see on GamePass Twitter are people saying they are waiting for control to show up

Phil's little gaf probably cost Remedy a few thousand sales at least.

Oct 26, 2017
Control brought in €23.9mil in revenue. Seeing how it brought in €17.7mil between July 1st and September 30th it made €6.2mil between October 1st and December 31st. We also know from earlier reporting (year ending June 30th 2019) that Epic paid €9.49mil for the Epic Game Store exclusivity, so Control's revenue as of December 31st 2019 is now at €33.39mil

Control budget was estimated to be around €20-30 million, with 505 Games contributing with €7 million as well.

They will probably start making some profits in the coming months

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Control budget was estimated to be around €20-30 million, with 505 Games contributing with €7 million as well.

They will probably start making some profits in the coming months
Yeah, the Steam release should push the project past the break-even point, if it hasn't already crossed it by then.

Fadewise

Nov 5, 2017

I thought that it was revealed that the majority (if not all?) of those EGS deals were minimum revenue guarantees and not necessarily additional payments. Was that ever confirmed either way?

Edit: This article from a bit a go would imply that it is indeed a revenue guarantee, and not a lump sum additional payment of 9.49m

Last edited:

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
I thought that it was revealed that the majority (if not all?) of those EGS deals were minimum revenue guarantees and not necessarily additional payments. Was that ever confirmed either way?

Edit: This article from a bit a go would imply that it is indeed a revenue guarantee, and not a lump sum additional payment of 9.49m
Digital Bros' Consolidated and separate financial statements for the year ended 30 June 2019 (so before Control's release) simply states that the game had already generated €9.49mil in revenue by then, which is what Epic paid them for the exclusivity https://www.digitalbros.com/wp-cont...tements-for-the-year-ended-30-June-2019-1.pdf
29pmrpu.png

Fadewise

Nov 5, 2017
Digital Bros' Consolidated and separate financial statements for the year ended 30 June 2019 (so before Control's release) simply states that the game had already generated €9.49mil in revenue by then, which is what Epic paid them for the exclusivity https://www.digitalbros.com/wp-cont...tements-for-the-year-ended-30-June-2019-1.pdf

Right, but it doesn't follow from there that the 9.49 is in ADDITION to the total stated revenue of
23.9, only that that latter is inclusive of the former. The point being, the EGS money allowed them to book that up front, but a developer really only realizes a net benefit from the deal if they otherwise wouldn't have naturally sold the amount of the revenue guarantee.

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Right, but it doesn't follow from there that the 9.49 is in ADDITION to the total stated revenue of
23.9, only that that latter is inclusive of the former. The point being, the EGS money allowed them to book that up front, but a developer really only realizes a net benefit from the deal if they otherwise wouldn't have naturally sold the amount of the revenue guarantee.
Digital Bros. received €9.49m from Epic before 30 June. That's a fact.
If it was a revenue guarantee, then it would mean that Epic would hold back the first €9.49m of royalties to Digital Bros., and only start sending them money afterward, which would increase Control's H2 2019 revenue for Epic, but not for Digital Bros. It's safe to say that €23.9m does not include a sum of €9.49m from Epic that Digital Bros. needed to return to Epic due to the earlier payout of that revenue guarantee. That makes no sense.

Fadewise

Nov 5, 2017
Digital Bros. received €9.49m from Epic before 30 June. That's a fact.
If it was a revenue guarantee, then it would mean that Epic would hold back the first €9.49m of royalties to Digital Bros., and only start sending them money afterward, which would increase Control's H2 2019 revenue for Epic, but not for Digital Bros. It's safe to say that €23.9m does not include a sum of €9.49m from Epic that Digital Bros. needed to return to Epic due to the earlier payout of that revenue guarantee. That makes no sense.

Why would they have to return it? it was a revenue guarantee TO Digital Bros , so they booked that initial lump sum up front, and then EGS would not have paid out any additional revenue to them until they met 9.49 worth of sales (less the Epic cut)

D.Dragoon

Mar 2, 2018
Half the posts I see on GamePass Twitter are people saying they are waiting for control to show up

Phil's little gaf probably cost Remedy a few thousand sales at least.
Didn't he make that comment months after the initial release? Not that many games that suddenly start selling well out of their launch window.

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Why would they have to return it? it was a revenue guarantee TO Digital Bros , so they booked that initial lump sum up front, and then EGS would not have paid out any additional revenue to them until they met 9.49 worth of sales (less the Epic cut)
That's exactly my point. It would be stupid.
And since EGS wouldn't have paid out any additional money to Digital Bros., it can't be counted as revenue for them. And since the €23.9m only covers the current fiscal year (which started on July 1st), it means the €9.49m and the €23.9m should be added together. The total LTD revenue of Digital Bros. from Control is therefore €33.4m, and not only €23.9m.

Fadewise

Nov 5, 2017
That's exactly my point. It would be stupid.
And since EGS wouldn't have paid out any additional money to Digital Bros., it can't be counted as revenue for them. And since the €23.9m only covers the current fiscal year (which started on July 1st), it means the €9.49m and the €23.9m should be added together. The total LTD revenue of Digital Bros. from Control is therefore €33.4m, and not only €23.9m.

I see now, ok. i was misinterpreting the timeframe of the original referenced report. Still worth reiterating though, that 9.49m is not new revenue that they would have realized outside of the EGS exclusivity agreement, since it's just pre-booked revenue that would have otherwise been reported the FY20 figures.