• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MauroNL

What Are Ya' Buying?
Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands

img_20211130_1545500rklu.jpg

Multiplatform third person action RPG set in a dark fantasy world. 505 Games to invest an initial €27m.

Mumford

Oct 25, 2017
Oh no...
What about Metroid? 😔

Edit: in all seriousness though, I hope this enables them to better their working conditions.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Pretty large budget there. Too 27 million euro = 30 million dollars. Curious to see what they make.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
27 million euros is a lot of money, people should keep in mind that MS is based in Spain and the wages are way lower than your average american game developer.

Rogote

Oct 25, 2017
Oh? This could be a very cool setting game then?
Combined with the fact that 27 million euros propably buys a lot more labor hours in spain than it does in many other countries in europe, they should at least theoretically have some pretty heavy duty resources to do whatever they're doing here.

Mex_Exile

Alt account
Banned
Nov 23, 2021
Combined with the fact that 27 million euros propably buys a lot more labor hours in spain than it does in many other countries in europe, they should at least theoretically have some pretty heavy duty resources to do whatever they're doing here.
This has me hyped. Dread was my first MS game, i liked it :)

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Third person action RPG. Hrm.

Well I wish them luck, at least. But I haven't had much fun with action RPGs in this gen so far so I'm not expecting this to be much better than the kind of "mediocre action game, but with stats!!!!!!!" that we usually get nowadays.

Keyser S

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I was hoping for some Dread DLC….too naive?

They can still work with Nintendo. In the past they have worked on two games at the same time. They ported a game called Spacelords to PS5 And Xbox Series S|X when working on Dread. And they also initially developed Spacelords when working on Samus Returns a few years back.

I am not sure but I guess this game would have different leads, and maybe a different core team. That would give them the capacity to tackle multiple projects - and maybe even hire more talent.

This is good news all around; for them and for consumers

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
It would be fun if they are the ones to come up with an actually decent high budget soulslike, of all places. Because yeah, that's what I read too, even if that isn't necessarily what the text means.

They once had pretty fucking good concept artists (LoS 1 times particularly), don't know about now.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
They made an awesome dark fantasy game in the first Lords of Shadow game, and those two games also really showed that they know how to do great combat as well which is exciting as well

Jan 11, 2018
Cool theure working together. I can wait for Dread 2

You mean Samus Returns 3.

Yeah, that's what I'm hoping for. I like souls-likes, but I don't want every action game out there to have a stamina bar.

If they make something like Lords of Shadow, or the upcoming Soulstice, that's be cool as well.

Ironically, Darksiders 3 was very Soulslike haha.

They made an awesome dark fantasy game in the first Lords of Shadow game, and those two games also really showed that they know how to do great combat as well which is exciting as well

I wasn't a fan of the combat at all in the first game. The second game was a bit better though, and had great boss battles... I guess I shouldn't have been surprised at how good Dread's bosses were.

Last edited:

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
I am one of the few people it seems who loved the first Lords of Shadow(second was abysmal). If they did something similar I would be happy with that. Maybe this time though they can credit everyone properly.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
You mean Samus Returns 3.

Ironically, Darksiders 3 was very Soulslike haha.

I wasn't a fan of the combat at all in the first game. The second game was a bit better though, and had great boss battles... I guess I shouldn't have been surprised at how good Dread's bosses were.

Darksiders 3 cribbed some of the least essential mechanics from Dark Souls. Considering the original game had "souls" as currency, and the combat wasn't stamina-based, the similarities aren't all that major. If anything, Darksiders III was the best Soul Reaver game we've had since 1999., imho.

Jan 11, 2018
Darksiders 3 cribbed some of the least essential mechanics from Dark Souls. Considering the original game had "souls" as currency, and the combat wasn't stamina-based, the similarities aren't all that major. If anything, Darksiders III was the best Soul Reaver game we've had since 1999., imho.

What I mean about Darksiders 3 being like Dark Souls (1 in particular) is that after you die, you go back to your bonfire of sorts. In that sense the checkpoint system was much less generous than 1 and 2. The overall difficulty of enemies was much higher, you had to pick your spots more and couldn't power your way through (whereas DS 2 combat was much more fast paced and more akin to traditional hack n slash action games). The level and world design was much more open as well, allowing you to tackle the objectives in your desired order, where the first two Darksiders games were mostly linear.

Obviously on their own, Dark Souls didn't invent any of those individual things, but the way it combined them all together set up a template that many games follow, and I believe Darksiders 3 was pretty close to it. I've never played Soul Reaver though.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
What I mean about Darksiders 3 being like Dark Souls (1 in particular) is that after you die, you go back to your bonfire of sorts. In that sense the checkpoint system was much less generous than 1 and 2. The overall difficulty of enemies was much higher, you had to pick your spots more and couldn't power your way through (whereas DS 2 combat was much more fast paced and more akin to traditional hack n slash action games). The level and world design was much more open as well, allowing you to tackle the objectives in your desired order, where the first two Darksiders games were mostly linear.

Obviously on their own, Dark Souls didn't invent any of those individual things, but the way it combined them all together set up a template that many games follow, and I believe Darksiders 3 was pretty close to it. I've never played Soul Reaver though.
I replayed the first 2 Darksiders right before III came out, on high difficulty. Darksiders II is one of my top 10 favourite games of all time. You cannot wade in and just hack away on hard difficulty, especially in the beginning. The giant rat enemies that have the AoE rage attack will 1-shot you, in a way that's similar to Darksiders III. Darksiders II is actually tougher, because you need to really spec your gear and focus on bonus damage and life-steal/HP recovery, because Act IV enemies will wreck you otherwise- not to mention The Crucible.

Darksiders III took the concept of bonfires from FromSoft; and the weapon upgrades (via upgradium bits/chunks/shards). The combat was much more inspired by Bayonetta's Witch Time (literally, to play good you need to chain perfect counters- the last weapon you unlock specifically slows the enemies down to make this easier. You can literally chain some bosses like that taking 0 damage), and level design was more open and interconnected and featured shortcuts- but also relied on the Hollows' elemental traversal abilities, making it much more Metroid than Dark Souls. Respawning enemies and grinding exp to unlock additional moves was a series' staple- though DSIII simplified your levelling to 3 base stats, the mere fact that "monsters spawn whenever you rest and save" doesn't make it "souls" either.

People keep saying that Gunfire tried to ape Souls as if Darksiders wasn't always a series that experimented with game mechanics taken from other genres; yes, there are elements of a souls-like in Darksiders III; but at its core, it was still a Darksiders game with a unique identity, first and foremost.