• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Joint venture with MercurySteam Entertainment

S.L. Digital Bros S.p.A. announces the contract between its subsidiary 505 Games and MercurySteam Entertainment S.L. for development and the world-wide publishing of a brand-new videogame to be released on both PC and consoles.

MercurySteam Entertainment is the award-winning development studio behind the bestselling Castlevania: Lords of Shadow series, the critically acclaimed Metroid: Samus Returns, and the self-published co-op shooter Spacelords.
Mercury-Steam.png

2021.05.10-PR-Digital-Bros-The-BoD-approves-the-Third-Quarterly-Report-for-the-period-ended-March-31st-2021-def-v1-criptato.pdf (digitalbros.com)

Last edited:

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Metroid goes third party!

how long has it been since that game they had to rename for whatever reason?

EDIT: Raiders of a Broken Planet, renamed to the much worse, Space Lords. from 2017

Adulfzen

Oct 29, 2017
I'd imagine it has no bearing whether or not the rumored 2D Metroid is coming this year but it might suggest Nintendo is not interested in working with them in the future (assuming they couldn't just work on multiple projects).

Oct 25, 2017
For some reason i thought it was the studio behind Bloodstained. I wonder what will they do next. It seems they collaboration with Sakamoto didn't bore more than the Metroid Remake.

Koivusilta

Oct 30, 2017
Finland
I really hope they get to do a single-player game set in the Spacelords universe in the future. The lore, world building and art design they made for it was fantastic, even if the game itself started going downhill long before they turned it F2P.

Metroid goes third party!

how long has it been since that game they had to rename for whatever reason?
Raiders of the Broken Planet was released in 2017 and was relaunched as Spacelords a year later, I think? I hear that while the game is still online, they abandoned it's road map and have seemingly stopped working on major updates. Kind of impressive it has managed to struggle on for this long, honestly.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Here's hoping it's something good. I absolutely loved how Broken Raiders of a Space Lord Planet looked, but I didn't like the structure of the game at all.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Oh.

Well, that's not good news for those of us like me who were sure they were working on metroid.

;(

salromano

Mr. Gematsu
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Source btw: https://www.digitalbros.com/wp-cont...iod-ended-March-31st-2021-def-v1-criptato.pdf

Digital Bros. said:
Joint venture with MercurySteam Entertainment S.L.

Digital Bros S.p.A. announces the contract between its subsidiary 505 Games and MercurySteam Entertainment S.L. for development and the world-wide publishing of a brand-new videogame to be released on both PC and consoles.

MercurySteam Entertainment is the award-winning development studio behind the bestselling Castlevania: Lords of Shadow series, the critically acclaimed Metroid: Samus Returns, and the self-published co-op shooter Spacelords.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
They did Spacelords at the same time as Samus Returns.

Literally 0 reason to assume this means they can't work on Metroid at the same time.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
I guess the only hope is that they've got a 2D Metroid locked and loaded for this fall and that this deal is for their next project…. But that feels like wishful thinking in the absence of more information :/

I'd imagine it has no bearing whether or not the rumored 2D Metroid is coming this year but it might suggest Nintendo is not interested in working with them in the future (assuming they couldn't just work on multiple projects).
I'm not sure how much bearing this would have on any future collaborations with Nintendo, seeing as a company like Platinum has a PS4-exclusive title that's being published by Square-Enix, all while working on Bayonetta 3 and having already shipped the likes of Astral Chain. Nintendo really isn't the type to get allergic to third party partners signing deals elsewhere if they have the manpower to support it.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
I really hope they get to do a single-player game set in the Spacelords universe in the future. The lore, world building and art design they made for it was fantastic, even if the game itself started going downhill long before they turned it F2P.

Raiders of the Broken Planet was released in 2017 and was relaunched as Spacelords a year later, I think? I hear that while the game is still online, they abandoned it's road map and have seemingly stopped working on major updates. Kind of impressive it has managed to struggle on for this long, honestly.

I had no clue that game had it's name changed... I thought I had previously downloaded it, then when I actually got around to playing it (way waaaay later), I couldn't find it. Thought I was going crazy and imagined it. lmao

Adulfzen

Oct 29, 2017
I'm not sure how much bearing this would have on any future collaborations with Nintendo, seeing as a company like Platinum has a PS4-exclusive title that's being published by Square-Enix, all while working on Bayonetta 3 and having already shipped the likes of Astral Chain. Nintendo really isn't the type to get allergic to third party partners signing deals elsewhere if they have the manpower to support it.

It's less about Nintendo refusing to work with MercurySteam and more about MercurySteam looking for a publisher because Nintendo wouldn't renew their contract After that rumored Metroid game comes out this year.

Granted they've developed both Samus Returns and Spacelords at the same time so it's entirely possible they have one team dedicated to Metroid while the other works on multiplatform games.