• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
UPDATE:

Kotakut updated the article:

https://kotaku.com/sources-nintendo-shutters-california-office-1847966405

Nintendo says that they closing more smaller offices and want to move more people to their headquarters

====================================================================================================

Nintendo closed its California office today, displacing roughly 100 employees, sources tell Kotaku.

The Redwood City location was one of three main offices for Nintendo of America, which is headquartered in Redmond, Washington. Sources tell Kotaku the closure included the resignation of the SVP of Sales and Marketing, Nick Chavez, who announced earlier on Friday via LinkedIn that he would be joining Kentucky Fried Chicken to help them continue to grow the Yum! Brands.

The SVP position was previously held by Doug Bowser, who was promoted to president of Nintendo of America after Reggie Fils-Aime stepped down in 2019.

kotaku.com

Nintendo Shutters California And Toronto Offices

Employees are displaced following the closure of two of Nintendo's few North American locations

Close if old.

Last edited:

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
is't a lot of their maketing coming out of California? Will this affect the youtube team such as The Nintendo Minute ?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
That's...an odd choice. I mean I know their HQ is in Washington but 100 people losing their jobs is pretty brutal.

mudron

Feb 13, 2020
Between this and all the terrible software/policy decisions the company has been making (in an insane boost in cost of the Switch's already threadbare online service which now includes horribly-emulated N64 games, making some digital game inexplicably available for a limited time, recent string of bad sports games, etc), what the hell is going on with Nintendo these days?

P-Bo

One Winged Slayer
Jun 17, 2019
Between this and all the terrible software/policy decisions the company has been making (in an insane boost in cost of the Switch's already threadbare online service which now includes horribly-emulated N64 games, making some digital game inexplicably available for a limited time, recent string of bad sports games, etc), what the hell is going on with Nintendo these days?

Arrogant Nintendo is back baby, that's what!

/s for the love of god.

_zoipi

One Winged Slayer
Nov 23, 2017
Madrid

Very sure that those aren't even remotely related.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
So...where are NOA's Sales and Marketing departments now? Redmond?

Faddy

Oct 25, 2017
I think we will see a lot more companies closing small offices like this if a decent number of employees are full time work from home.

That's...an odd choice. I mean I know their HQ is in Washington but 100 people losing their jobs is pretty brutal.

It doesn't say 100 people are losing their jobs.

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully this doesn't end up affecting game localizations/releases or something. Not sure what NoA's total employee count is but that sounds like a pretty decent chunk of the workforce.

It doesn't say 100 people are losing their jobs.

What else is "displacing 100 employees" supposed to mean?

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully this doesn't end up affecting game localizations/releases or something. Not sure what NoA's total employee count is but that sounds like a pretty decent chunk of the workforce.

What else is "displacing 100 employees" supposed to mean?

Offered relocation to Redmond.

OP
OP
delete12345

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
I guess that's possible though it's a weird choice of wording if that's the case. Why not just say "relocated" or "transferred."
"Job displacement" seems to be a human resource definition. It's different from "job relocation" and "job transfer".

What is Job displacement? HR Definitions & Examples | MightyRecruiter

Find out the true definition of the HR term: 'Job displacement' and learn the meaning of over 300 other important human resources phrases and concepts.

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
"Job displacement" seems to be a human resource definition. It's different from "job relocation" and "job transfer".

What is Job displacement? HR Definitions & Examples | MightyRecruiter

Find out the true definition of the HR term: 'Job displacement' and learn the meaning of over 300 other important human resources phrases and concepts.

Yea that's what I originally thought. Only ever heard about jobs being "displaced" in the context of layoffs.

Oct 27, 2017
This seems a bit much, none of these things are related at all. Havinga bad game, laying off someone ,messing up emulation is nothing new in the games industry and every publisher has done it before

tiebreaker

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, sad for the 100 employees. Hope they land on their feet quickly.

A friend of mine also lost their job recently because of restructuring.

stersauce

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
san jose, ca
From what I've heard, most if not everyone was offered relocation. Obviously not everyone is going to take that option because that is a pretty far move to uproot your family, so that might be why they used "displaced".

of course this is just from what I've heard

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Huh? Wow, I've lived in the Bay Area all my life and thought I knew every game company here but never had any idea that Nintendo had an office in Redwood City.

EloquentM

Oct 25, 2017
From what I've heard, most if not everyone was offered relocation. Obviously not everyone is going to take that option because that is a pretty far move to uproot your family, so that might be why they used "displaced".

of course this is just from what I've heard
It refers to the position at that specific location being closed. They could take a "new" position which would be the same title as their current and that would be a relocation/transfer but effectively still a new position.

Serenitynow

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine having the job of the guy who just became President & COO of NOA and then going somewhere else. Maybe there's something behind the scenes I don't know. Just seems like one position removed from a dream job.

Johnzyboi

Nov 10, 2018
Weird

Wonderrade

The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I follow Nintendos job listing twitter account and as a marketing guy I've noticed they have had marketing positions open up in WA instead of the usual CA within the last few months.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Imagine having the job of the guy who just became President & COO of NOA and then going somewhere else. Maybe there's something behind the scenes I don't know. Just seems like one position removed from a dream job.
That would entirely depend on personnel. Bowser was picked as Reggie's successor based on more than just his title. Holding an SVP position that the current NOA COO used to hold doesn't guarantee any sort of line of succession.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
It refers to the position at that specific location being closed. They could take a "new" position which would be the same title as their current and that would be a relocation/transfer but effectively still a new position.
Yep. Job's gone. Doesn't mean the employee isn't offered something else. Nor does it mean they are. All that can be inferred is that 100 people had the position they were occupying evaporate.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Kit tweeted nintendo stuff in the last half hour, so not sure what the deal is with this.
We just don't know and I feel gross just speculating about someone's work status like this, but assuming he worked out of the affected office, he may have been offered a new position/location transfer and took it.

slothrop

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Aug 28, 2019
USA
If you're a marketing guy why would you necessarily weight NoA over Yum Brands as a "dream job"??? You're a professional not a fanboy. Execs leave all the time for more money or just a different role.

YohraUtopia

Apr 1, 2021

Displacement is a bizarre term that in years and years of reading business discourse, econ, political econ, econ geography, etc. I've never encountered. It sounds shitty no matter what but I'm guessing people were offered some version of move to X or lose your job, or now you're perma-remote (and possibly, you're perma-remote and covering the home office costs.) As someone noted above, possibly not everyone and technically it could be like being shifted to a "new" job that is anything but.

Uh... what? I know Era sentiment is extremely anti-NSO but I bet it's doing well just one click outside the most hardcore of the hardcore, the Switch OLED is already sold out everywhere, and the software sales are great in general. This reads like standard corporate cost cutting or "re-engineering" to me which sucks but is common practice (weirdly more so in US than in Japan so I wonder where the call was made and by who.)

I hope the workers quickly get back on their feet. Sucks.

The real bottom line regardless if displaced means fired or really forced into a sticky wicket. Couldn't agree more.

Vyse

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
He figured the job experience was 40% of the reason for the promotion but he couldn't compete with the 60% being literally Bowser.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely nothing.

minimalism

Jan 9, 2018
Aw man, since I moved here I always had a pipe dream to work at the a Redwood City office (not that they much use for my type of engineering expertise). Sad to see them close!

I think displaced in this sense probably means they're deciding whether to move up to Redmond or move on to a other job.

Yoshimitsu126

The Fallen
Nov 11, 2017
United States
Were these the jobs where people drive to retailers with Nintendo marketing posters and set up kiosk for the consoles?

Oh yeah the field team. Wonder what that job was like. Met some of these workers at Best Buy when they were marketing smash bros for Wii U and at the Switch events in Los Angeles during launch week. Good times.