• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kidou_rex

Oct 27, 2017
5. Adventures of Mana (Vita) - 02/02
Pretty fun remake of the first Seiken Densetsu game. Wanted to play through this before playing Secret of Mana on the SNES Classic and ended up playing to 100% completion. At times it reminded me a lot of the original Zelda with its overworld and dungeon design. As the game goes on, the mechanics get a bit repetitive, even though the game itself is only 10-15 hours long, and perhaps could have benefited a lot from a few new weapon types or spells during progression in the later stages of the game. Even without having played the original, this game made me feel nostalgic for RPGs of its original era which I appreciated a lot.

6. Monster Hunter World - 02/02
I'd dabbled with Monster Hunter Freedom 2 in the past, but hadn't really given it a fair shot so this game seemed like a good place to jump back in. The main story took me just under 60 hours to complete. While playing through the game I was surprised by how many different mechanics there were, particularly through the use of items. The combat itself is well done and each monster has its own behaviors and patterns that have to be learned to vanquish them efficiently. As fun as the game is while playing solo, the real treat is the multiplayer. I've had so much fun playing this game with friends and randoms online even when we fail the mission. Definitely one of the best cooperative games I've ever played.

Currently Playing:
Dragon Ball FigherZ

Up Next:
Looking to play something a bit less time consuming after Monster Hunter so I'm thinking about going through some FPS campaigns from the last few years that I've missed out on like Titanfall 2 and Doom.

Main Post

Oct 27, 2017
4. Octodad: Dadliest Catch- PS4
Completed 2/3/18
Score - 7/10

I waited a long time to pick this one up and was excited when I finally got to play it. I really enjoyed the quirky crazy story and enjoyed the ending. The controls were funny at times and infuriating at others. The arcade and jungle gym level really were more annoying to play than fun. The game was also really really short. Even after playing the DLC shorts I felt they could have added a little more to do. Overall, fun but too short.

octodad_dadliest_catch.jpg

Original Post

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
18. Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale
header.jpg

Capitalism, ho!
I quite enjoyed the game's shop mechanics and I found the light Action RPG aspect quite decent.
An overall solid game, and one I plan on replaying in the future now that I've gotten a hang on the proper mechanics.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Main post: https://www.resetera.com/posts/2784229/

23. boxlife / 30m - completed 05.02.18

header.jpg

A very short game, with ability based exploration. The objective is to get out of the box, i guess? There are secrets to be found and maybe you get an actual ending if you find these but i can't really be bothered to look for them. Not really much i can say here.

LonestarZues

Oct 27, 2017
https://www.resetera.com/posts/3243362

10. Gears of War - XBOX 1 - 2/5 - 11 hours: I haven't played Gears of War 4 yet so I figured let me replay the trilogy before I delve into that game and damn I forgot how good the original is. The level design and gameplay are so good and the story is good enough to keep me playing. 9/10

11. Bioshock Infinite - PS4 - 2/13 - 17 hours: Best gameplay in the series, but weakest plot as well. The ending was definitely not expected and now I want to play the dlc to see how it all ties into the other games. 8/10

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
8. Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (1 1/2 hours)
There's some obnoxious trial-and-error level design in here, and the final level is a pain in the ass with no rings, but this is a very fun platformer even in 2018.

Full list to date

Spyware

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Trying to mix the monster hunting with other types of game. Point and clicks felt like a good "contrasting" genre to play. Bought these games ages ago but never touched them for some reason. The age is sadly showing! Instead of repeating it in all three notes, I'll just state here that it was a total pain to get these to start and work all the way through. I had to play the first one in a tiny, tiny window taking up a tenth of my screen or less, and the others crashed quite a lot.

Vo5k8Uw.png

Game #27: Post Mortem
Started 31 Jan. 2018 - Completed 1 Feb. 2018
Verdict: A boring plot in a weak package.

The (few) puzzles in this first person point and click game make more sense than most P&C-puzzles, but since they are so few it doesn't really lift the game up from the mediocrity shelf where the dialogues put it. These lengthy so-so dialogues are quite open and you often have a lot of options, even some you shouldn't have! You can ask people for things you shouldn't know yet, followed by the option that gives you the information you apparently could sense beforhand. While that part is just buggy or an oversight, the game does feature some "supernatural" elements in visions and such but it isn't a big part of it. Mostly it's just the same old story about murdered and mutilated prositutes, which is a shame. I love good murder mysteries and crime games, but it seems half of them think that a man murdering women is the most interesting plot to ever have existed. It is not even close.​

RL8iVpO.png

Game #28: Still Life
Started 1 Feb. 2018 - Completed 2 Feb. 2018
Verdict: A sligthly improved sequel without an ending.

Still Life is a sequel to Post Mortem with a new protagonist that you thankfully play in third person. The main protagonist is a woman this time, which is refreshing. She's quite hot-headed and not easy to deal with which I like a lot. You don't get to play her all the time tho. Sadly, the plot is pretty much the same as the first game. A murderous man targeting prostitutes, have you heard it before? The game also sort of lacks an ending. It was always planned to be the second part of the trilogy, but I don't like when a story is chopped up in two like this. Every part should be able to stand by themselves. The game works a lot better in general than Post Mortem did, but it's still not something I would readily suggest that people play.​

dR9Q0Pq.png

Game #29: Still Life 2
Started 3 Feb. 2018 - Completed 4 Feb. 2018
Verdict: The trilogy ends a little better than it started but is still nothing special.

Ah, the ending! There is not much to say about this game to be honest, it's the second part of Still Life with some small differences like an infuriating inventory system and a fun crime scene investigation part. Which makes it end up in the same "maybe worth playing" category as the first game. There are still two protagonist that you get thrown between, to try to solve the oh so intriguing mystery of who is murdering women. ZZzzz...​

_

Master Post!

Rokal

Oct 25, 2017
First update of the year, January.

January

1: LA Noire - 26 hours
gZnoPEF.png

LA Noire feels decidedly last-gen in a lot of ways, movement, controls, rigidity of the interrogation/missions, etc. The facial scan tech is still incredible though, so while the resolution of the faces (and everything else) looked fairly old, the detail in the faces still feels like it's ahead of current-gen efforts. My biggest problem with the game is that the interrogation sections too often feel like trial and error. I was watching the character's faces closely, looking for tells, and still constantly guessing the wrong option. Often, the option that I did pick ended up with wildly dialogue than I expected too. Since interrogations are the core focus on the game, this dragged the game down a lot. I played the Switch port, and I'll also add that playing a game as big as this on a plane without feeling like I was losing anything in the experience was pretty magical. 26 hours,
7/10

2: 999 – 19 hours
UkyuiRP.png

This game is rife with anime clichés, from the character personalities to the awkwardly sexualized designs for all of the female characters. For me this was very off-putting. Some of the ending(s) redeem the character tropes a little bit, but not enough to warrant sitting through a dozen+ hours of reading or listening to the main character and his anemic love interest interact. Finished all endings, 19 Hours
6/10

3: Assassin's Creed: Origins – 28 hours
vE2yds5.png

This would have ranked pretty high on my 2017 GOTY list if I finished it in time. As someone who had grown to dislike the AC series after AC2, with each new version rehashing the game gameplay and adding more filler content, AC:O was a breath of fresh air. The setting is awesome, the combat is much more skill-based and exciting, and the game looks absolutely gorgeous on a 4K TV with HDR. Side quest content is of higher quality overall, but is also located organically, so I never felt overwhelmed despite the massive amount of content in the game. I'm very excited to see where the AC series is going from here, which is not something I could imagine saying after being disappointed and bored with the last several years of AC releases. On the negative side, the modern-day storyline is still terrible and doesn't feel like it's going anywhere, but it isn't a big emphasis on the game and it wasn't enough to drag down what I think is the best AC game so far
10/10

4: Steamworld Dig 2 – 8.5 hours
GFhfzOA.png

I finished Steamworld Dig 1 last year and though it was pretty mediocre. The hand-crafted levels in the sequel put this leagues ahead of the original though. I never felt like I was just absent-mindedly digging through dozens of rocks, as there was always a lot of stuff to interact with on my way down (enemies, treasure, environmental hazards, etc.). What really surprised me was how much the game embraces mobility compared to the original. It's doesn't take long to unlock room-wide grappling hooks, jetpacks, and other items that all make the game play much more fluidly than I ever would have expected from a sequel to Dig 1.
8/10

Deleted member 13148

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Main Post

19. Mr. Shifty - Feb. 2 (3.1h)
header.jpg

Good, but not great. It starts off well, with a gameplay loop similar to Hotline Miami, but focused almost exclusively on melee, and with the ability to teleport a short distance. It makes you feel a bit like Nightcrawler from the opening of X2. Unfortunately, as the game goes on, the encounter design starts encouraging very careful tactics that simply aren't as much fun as the reckless speed challenges from the early game. Lengthy sections between checkpoints make risky strategies not worth attempting, so I found myself using hit and run tactics against individual enemies, which is not where the game excels. Thankfully, the game ends not too long after it starts becoming more frustrating than fun, but it left a much worse impression than if it had ended a bit sooner.

20. Snake Pass - Feb. 5 (4.5h)
header.jpg

I never fell in love with collectathon games, so once I realized the extra collectibles did absolutely nothing in game, I stopped going out of my way to collect any of them. The controls were interesting. Fun at times, frustrating during the later part of the game when fine control was important, but it never felt quite possible, especially when you also have to fight the camera simultaneously. I had a fun time playing it, but I also felt relieved when I was finished, and I don't have any urge to go back and pick up any of the collectibles I missed.

21. Four Sided Fantasy - Feb. 5 (1h)
header.jpg

Fairly easy and short puzzle game, but it was worth playing. About 95% of the puzzles were trivial, not requiring any thought to figure out. The other 5% was still pretty easy, but required me to think it through for maybe a minute. I wouldn't recommend going out and buying it, but if you got it in a bundle, it's worth the roughly one hour playtime.

Decarbia

Oct 25, 2017
I need to update my main post but 4 and 5 down.

4. Titanfall 2, PS4.
Finished the main campaign, so good. It's criminal that respawn are going to be part of the EA machine and never get to make something so full again.

5. Silent Hill 4 The Room, Xbox
One of the less appreciated but one of my favorite horror games. It's still so foreboding and claustrophobic. And damn the Xbox still looks great.

Oct 26, 2017
Belarus
Main Post part 1

-------

15. Grim Legends: The Forsaken Bride - 6 hours
My first modern HOG, and i actually surprised by amount of gameplay and story in this game. Genre is sure advanced a lot since last time i've played that kind of games, this one have a lot cutscenes and actually interesting story. Also great variety in puzzles and ability to skip classic hidden-objects episodes in favor to domino puzzles (thought is kinda weird that devs allowing to skip HOG in HOG-game). Overall, game is well made and can be considered as great entry point for those who interested in HOG genre but never played them. Personally I'm sure interested in playing more of these in near future.

Last edited:

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
4. Fortnite: Battle Royale
PS4 | February 4th | 66 hours | 9/10 | Main Post

This game is an absolute blast. It took me a while to get everything down such as building and aiming but once I did, wow. It is a great competitive game and what every game should strive to be. It has the perfect balance of skill mixed with RNG. Allows you to be successful based on your skill but allows lesser skilled players feel rewarded. This is how you keep a player base together. In my 66 hours I was able to get 7 wins. 6 solo and 1 duo. Wins feel so satisfying. I highly recommend everybody try this game. I give it a 9/10 on the basis of fun and depth and those two factors alone. The graphics are meh, sound is meh, but the game play is top notch fun. If Nintendo came out with a Battle Royale game, I envision it to be Fortnite.

5. Grim Fandango Remastered
PS4 | February 5th | 10 hours | 7/10 | Main Post

Im on two sides of the fence for this game. Really enjoyed the writing and the characters. Locations were really cool too. The gameplay/puzzles were too much for me. I have no experience in these types of games. It was a big shock for me trying to figure out a lot of these puzzles. At the half way point in Year 1 I started leaning on a guide. It felt disrespectful to my time. So many puzzles seemed based on trial and error more so then logic. Maybe I am to spoiled with modern games. The writing was great though. Something I dont see enough of. Good game but very tough.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

24. Hunted: The Demon's Forge / 14h50 - completed 07.02.18

header.jpg

Written by Brian Fargo, it's the last big game developed by InXile before turning to Kickstarter. It's either a Gears of War clone with a bow instead of guns, or a very basic and unsatisfying God of War clone, depending on which character you're playing with at the time. Although these descriptions can give you a good idea of what to expect from the broad gameplay aspects, they don't really do the game justice as there's a little bit more to it, at least the more shooty bits. The gameplay is nothing particularly inventive, and Caddoc (the melee fighter) is very boring to play as, which meant i spent almost the entirety of my playthrough as the elf E'Lara. She has several types of bows and abilities at her disposal and i found her to be fun to play with.

I really liked the exploration in this game. Although the critical path is extremely linear, there are a lot of secret areas, extra tombs and quests to be found, which have a few puzzles here and there. But nothing too complicated. The game does take a nosedive in level and encounter design in the last third as the last two chapters mainly consist of arenas and endless waves of meat thrown your way. I found the visuals ugly, a combination of the unappealing art style and the typical Unreal Engine 3 glossy look. There are some cool and impressive vistas to be seen at times though. The plot is standard fantasy, with nothing really very interesting going on, but the banter between the characters has its moments.

In the end, i enjoyed it but don't think i'd ever play it again.

25. Roads of Rome 3 / 9h10 - completed 07.02.18

header.jpg

More TM as podcast fodder. Been catching up on Waypoint Radio for the last couple of weeks. Pretty much the same as the last one.

Last edited:

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
2nd update of the year! Figured it was time to push it. As opposed to my last update, what I played was a lot more varied.

#5 Superhot VR – Completed 1/11/18
#6 Farpoint – Completed 1/14/18
#7 Monster Hunter: World – Completed 1/23/18
#8 Celeste – Completed 2/1/18
#9 Spyro the Dragon – Completed 2/7/18

Superhot VR - This was the first game I finished with PSVR. Great fun when the tracking works well, and something I'll probably go back to in the future. Makes you really feel like you're in the Matrix.

Farpoint - Got this with the PSVR Aim Controller, and while it's not a great game on it's own, the controller certainly helps it stand out. Hoo boy were the animations pretty jank though.

Monster Hunter: World - I reviewed this, so I won't say much here. I already have 200+ hours.

Celeste - Fantastic game, and I'm really glad I decided to pick it up to play in-between Monster Hunter sessions. Worked really well to keep me from burning out on MH quickly, and it's probably the best 2D platformer I've played since Dustforce!

Spyro the Dragon - This game was probably really great, once. God it has not aged well. Thankfully it was short... finally wiped this off my backlog. I think I bought this when I first got my PS3 in, what, 2008? Probably was one of the longest games that was stuck in that thing.

nbnt

Oct 26, 2017
What's good?

I don't think I ever participated in these threads back in the old country, but I did finish more than 50 titles last year, so here's to a new start!

JANUARY

1. Thimbleweed Park | Jan. 2nd | 7/10 | PC | 16 hours
2. Dreamfall: The Longest Journey | Jan. 5th | 6/10 | PC | 11 hours
3. Dreamfall Chapters | Jan. 10th | 8/10 | PC | 26 hours
4. The Last Door | Jan. 12th | 5/10 | PC | 10 hours
5. The Last Door: Season 2 | Jan. 14th | 6/10 | PC | 12 hours
6. A Hat in Time | Jan. 21st | 6/10 | PC | 10 hours
7. Iconoclasts | Jan. 28th | 6/10 | PC | 12 hours
8. Celeste | Jan. 31st | 8/10 | PC | 8 hours

FEBRUARY

9. GTAIV: The Lost and Damned | Feb. 7th | 6/10 | PC | 10 hours
10. Sonic Adventure 2 | Feb. 14th | 6/10 | PC | 5 hours
11. Sonic Adventure | Feb. 13th | 6/10 | PC | 10 hours

MARCH

12. Sonic Lost World | Mar. 5th | 7/10 | PC | 6 hours
13. Sin & Punishment | Mar. 13th | 8/10 | N64 | 2 hours
14. Ni No Kuni II | Mar. 29th | 6/10 | PS4 | 49 hours

Last edited:

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
19. Fight'n Rage
header.jpg

Nice and short beat'em-up with fast paced combat, lovely sprite work and rockin' soundtrack.

20. Sam & Max Season 1: Sam & Max Save The World
Simple and humorous PnC adventure game starring those 2 whacky Freelance Police. Puzzles weren't too difficult though one will need to interact with some stuff to find the solution to some puzzles. Each ep. is 2-3 hours long to beat and at 6 episodes that comes to around 12ish hours. Decent length for an episodic game like this IMO

Last edited:

watdaeff4

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Previous post:
https://www.resetera.com/posts/3590985/

7. Madden 18 (Xbox1)
Completed: 1/24
Time: 15 hours
Rating: 8/10

I enjoy Madden games for the most part. The gameplay is nothing different than '16 (I skipped '17) really. One thing though is that I felt the AI in Franchise mode would be really cheap in games that I felt you were destined to lose. I saw some AI defense that made ridiculous INTs. That part was frustrating enough at times that it dampened my enjoyment of the game.

8. Yakuza 0 (PS4)
Completed: 2/1
Time: ~30 hours

I love organized crime/mafia movies so this was right up my alley. I really enjoyed the story...a lot. The core gameplay though was a bit mediocre in my opinion.

9. Forza Horizon 3: Blizzard Mountain (XBox1)
Completed: 2/4
Time: 4-5 hours
Rating: 9/10

I waited until this got the X update before playing it and holy shit I'm glad I did. This game is absolutely stunning now. I loved this expansion as just like with FH2 Storm Island I love the weather impacted rally races. I enjoyed this more than the Hot Wheels expansion and anyone who enjoyed the base game should absolutely play this.

10. Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment
(Switch)
Completed: 2/4
Time: 4-5 horus
Rating: 9/10

I really enjoyed Shovel Knight, wasn't a big fan of Plague of Shadows (I dropped it), but thoroughly enjoyed this. The movement mechanics are so tight and are very enjoyable.

11. King of Fighters XIV [Replay] (PS4)
Completed: 2/7
Time: 2 hours

I do replays of this every so often using different teams. It's a solid fighter, but as a SF fanboy, I enjoy SFV a lot more.

12. Devil May Cry 4 (PS4)
Time: 8 hours
Rating: 6/10

I'm not the biggest fan of character action games, but I do play a couple every year. This game was decent but IMO, if you played any DMC (or DmC) games they are pretty similar.

13. Crash Bandicoot 2 (PS4)
Time: 5-6 hours

As noted previously, this is my first time playing this series. These are really fun platformers and the remasters are done well. This games doesn't really differ from the first, except for being significantly easier, but that's okay - it's still a great game.

Currently Playing:
Monster Hunter World
Infinite Warfare

Last edited:

Decarbia

Oct 25, 2017
6. VS Super Mario Bros, Switch
Fun way to replay the original SMB, sort of. There are level differences, it feels slippier, and fewer power ups, but a lot of fun.

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
Games Completed: 7

1. Resident Evil 5, PS4
OFI6DUX.jpg

Beat this for the first time, I had played almost but not all of it when it had originally came out. I don't like it nearly as much as 4 and the problematic racist stuff is definitely an issue to me, but as a dumb arcade game it's pretty fun. It's still easy to matchmake into Online Co-Op and I was able to play most of the game via Online Co-Op.

2. Tekken 7, PS4
Biqw2uq.jpg

Cleared Story Mode, Arcade Mode, and even got the Platinum trophy! I'm absolute shit at Tekken, but it's a fun fighter. I got the platinum trophy the day before Dragonball FighterZ released, which I thought was appropriate.

3. Kingdom Hearts Final Mix, PS4
paormgl.jpg

I had beaten this before when it originally came out, it's the only Kingdom Hearts game I've ever beaten previously. My goal is to complete all of the Kingdom Heart's games by the time 3 is released. The game is really quaint but I actually enjoyed myself quite a bit.

4. Kingdom Hearts Re: Chain of Memories
ykJqRU0.jpg

I couldn't stand this game. I actually really like almost all of the ideas it had on paper, a Kingdom Hearts card game rogue like sounds fantastic, I love all of those things, but christ the game is just so horrifically dull.

5. Steamworld Dig 2
LiIse9f.jpg

My favorite Metroidvania in awhile. I really loved everything about this game, looking forward to finally trying Heist out.

6. Sonic Mania
ao7i65Cg.jpg

Was awesome! It made my top ten soundtracks for 2017, but I finally got around to finishing this year.

7. Mutant Mudds Deluxe
SGz9Mtn.jpg

Found this game really charming, will play the sequel later in the year when I've had some time to recover.

Currently Playing:
Dragonball FighterZ
Resident Evil 4
Street Fighter V: Arcade Edition
Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle

Last edited:

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

26. Dead Horizon / 20m - completed 08.02.18

header.jpg

A very short game that nonetheless managed to impress me. It's the story of a gunslinger and a duel. The writing is pretty good and i really love the visual style and music. The drawing mechanic is also pretty cool. Make sure to check the lore book in the start menu as it is worth reading through, in my opinion. I would definitely play a longer, expanded version of what's here.

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Main post here

10. Demon's Souls [01/02/18- 08/02/18]
uZTX7bR.png

~33 hours. 9/10

I just finished my first ever Souls game, and I absolutely loved it! Now I'm just kicking myself for taking so damn long to give it a go, because I can only imagine how much better it would be to play these games when the zeitgeist is at its' peak. Oh well - it only makes me even more excited for Dark Souls Remastered!

I was honestly a little unsure if the game was for me for the first few hours, but at a certain point things just clicked, and it was a total blast from then on. I picked a Royal character at the start, but found that using magic generally made a lot of the fights quite dull, and so ended up avoiding using combat spells for the most part. Some of my favourite levels in particular were 3-1, 4-1, 4-2 and pretty much all of Boletaria.

As for the bosses:

I'd say my favourite boss overall was False King Allant, although Selen Vinland and The Penetrator were both really fun as well. I generally found the more humanoid bosses much more enjoyable to fight. Maiden Astraea's death was probably my favourite moment of the entire game. Didn't see it coming. And goddamn the music in that area was incredible!

The most difficult boss for me was definitely Flamelurker. I think he'd have been a pain to fight even if I'd tackled him last, but he was the third boss I fought, and it was a brutal eye-opener at the time lol.

I'm probably going to play through again in NG+ now, because May is too far away.

Last edited:

Deleted member 1759

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Europe
Main Post

Games #5-#8

The best part about this game are probably the Shooting mechanics. Using Bullet Time and Shootdodge or just shooting in general just feels really satisfying. Apart from that and considering that it's a 2012 game the graphics are still on a par with more modern titles. The fact that you could see Max carrying Shotguns/ARs instead of just letting them vanish stands out as well. The story itself was entertaining but nothing more. What I didn't like were the super long cutscenes and that the difficulty level felt somewhat inconsistent.

Good graphics, a setting I usually enjoy but it still managed to disappoint me. The game starts promising but it becomes more mediocre as you progress. It's not a walking simulator since it has some puzzles and even a few platformer-like jump passages. The thing is that the puzzles are too easy, boring and not very innovative and the jump passages suffer from the terrible controls. The story was alright, but I can't even remember the ending.

Tacoma has a similar setting and premise, but it's just better in every aspect. The game is quite calm game since you won't be in danger at any time during the story. So you have a lot of time to just explore the space station and soak up all the little details which tie together the story and the history of the characters. The characters themselves are well written and I caught myself rooting for them since I just wanted them to succeed. Apparently some people didn't like the ending but I quite enjoyed it.

Black The Fall has a very Limbo-/Inside-esque vibe to it and I'm sure the devs got some inspiration from those titles. But it just isn't as good as them. The story is set in an alternative reality where communism survived the Cold War. You play a worker who's trying to escape from this system. During your escape you encounter some puzzles which can be annoying since you don't get any clues. The controls can be frustrating as well, especially the jumping. But it's still an enjoyable game and I'd recommend it to people who enjoyed Limbo/Inside. Just wait for a sale.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
21. BOOR

This is a 2D Puzzle Platformer that has a simplistic presentation as the main colours used are shades of white/grey, red and black. The early half or 2/3s of the game had some good simple puzzles and platforming, but the end game had some irritating platforming. IMO it's a decent indie game and has some decent boss fights too, although having only one hit point can make some things difficult esp. in longer stages.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
22. Goblins 3
Goblins3.jpg

I enjoyed this a lot more than the first 2 mainly because it was more streamlined. There's still a lot of trial and error as you try to use every item you have or interact with every object to figure out what to do to solve the puzzles in the area you are in. The game's areas are now much bigger as you can move your mouse to the edge of the screen to have it scroll to reveal more of the area you are in. I found this to be a little clunky and doesn't work well with the original given screen size of 4:3.

Oct 25, 2017
January Update

Main Post

This month I completed 10 games.

My progress for this challenge is 10/52.

1. Dragon Quest 1 (iOS) - Finished on January 1 - 7 hours

My annual Christmas/New Year's Eve week tradition continues! I find this game very relaxing to just fight monsters and explore and progress the game. Often times the holiday season for me is very stressful with work and family and other obligations. This game allows me to decompress while still enjoying some leisure time. I played this a little bit differently than normal by trying to grind as little as possible during the main game. I even tried unsuccessfully to win the fight to get Erdrick's Armor without having the better heal spell. In the end I was forced to fight my way up to level 17 to get it though. I enjoy the simplicity of the game mechanics, the simplicity of the story and all the tropes it has spawned (but thou must!). I enjoyed playing this so much that I am already playing Dragon Quest II on my phone again as well.

2. Pokemon Ultra Sun (3DS) - Finished on January 1 - 32 hours

I really struggled to get through this game again. I played both Sun in 2016 and Moon again in 2017 and having to play through basically the same story again for the third time in 12 months was awful. I finally just dove right in on the third island a few days ago and pushed on through until where the story changes. I enjoyed the game for the new content and really feel like if they reworked a few character elements from the original Sun/Moon and made them better in Ultra Sun, this could have been the first version we got. As it stands, it does ruin some character dynamics and completely craps all over Lusamine and her character from the original games. Necrozma is cool but the idea of an unstoppable pokemon when you have had the master ball since gen 1 is crazy to me. I feel like it has been preached throughout most of the series that there are no bad pokemon, only trainers who use them for bad things. But here we get this unstoppable pokemon that has to be penned in like an animal. I just don't really buy it. That said I love Alola and the characters for the most part. It's just too bad characters like Hau and Gladion and even Lillie do pretty much the exact same stuff this time around instead of developing at all. A little disappointing end to pokemon on the 3DS as far as I'm concerned.

3. NHL 94 (SNES) - Finished on January 2 - 6 hours

Unfortunately enough this game does not have a season mode. You can only choose between shootout, single game, playoffs, or a best of 7 playoff mode. I always love playing out the best of 7 just to get a lengthy experience with my favorite hockey game of all time. Of course I choose my beloved Pittsburgh Penguins. I turn line changes and penalties off so I get a full dose of Jaromir Jagr, Mario Lemieux, and Kevin Stevens scoring on opposing goalies. The first round was an absolute bloodbath against the hated New Jersey Devils. I won the series in six games but I easily could have lost about five of these games. Every game was close, low scoring, and many of them ended up in overtime. The conference semifinals saw the Penguins face off against the Washington Capitals. I won this series in five games mostly because Washington's goalie was on a cold streak so scoring was much easier in this series than the previous one against New Jersey. It seemed like just about every game Kevin Stevens was having a huge night. The conference finals saw the Quebec Nordiques roll into Pittsburgh for another tough series. I had forgotten how good Quebec was in this game but they still fell in six games to Mario and the boys. Tom Barrasso stood tall in this series with a couple shutouts while on a hot streak. The Stanley Cup Finals saw Pittsburgh traveling to British Columbia to face Pavel Bure and the dreaded Vancouver Canucks. With penalties turned off I was free to bash and trounce Vancouver's star wing as much as I wanted. Taking him out of the game proved to be a winning play as the Penguins went on to sweep Vancouver in four games, winning the franchises third Stanley Cup in four years and winning at home for the first championship clinched in Pittsburgh since Bill Mazeroski walked off the 1960 World Series. I did not actually track stats but Kevin Stevens was my Conn Smythe winner for always playing good two way hockey as well as probably leading my team in points in the playoffs.

4. God of War: Chains of Olympus (PSP) - Finished on January 2 - 3 hours

One of my favorite God of War games. I've beaten it a few times but never on a new game plus romp. The Zeus Gauntlet is really fun so I wanted to use it for the entire game. The PSP games are simpler with less of a focus on puzzles and platforming and fewer boss fights and more of a focus on action. They feel more like fun little side stories as opposed to a main entry in the series. It is often said that Kratos gradually loses his humanity over the course of the series but I feel in this game it shows his more human side as he is forced to leave his daughter in order to stop Persephone and save humanity. It is a noble sacrifice to have to make for someone still so tortured by what happened to his family. The PSP version of this game looks better than I thought it would when I first played it. I know the PS3 version is 60 fps but this still looks fine playing it on my Vita. The game is a little on the shorter side even though it is a handheld game. First time players can expect 6 or 7 hours, depending on how you fare in a few of the game's puzzle segments. The controls are pretty good for the limits of the PSP but it definitely controls better on the PS3. Having to hold both shoulder buttons to dodge roll felt a little clunky even as I'm romping through the game with a maxed out Kratos. God of War games are all linear but the extras and secrets really are not well hidden in this game. Most of them you can see just fine while going through the main sequence of the game. Others are really obvious. It makes maxing yourself out not so much of a chore though. The numerous kill rooms in the game and the focus more on combat in many areas means you will get plenty of red orbs to pump yourself up. Overall for fans of the series this is a must play one way or another. I'd recommend the PS3 version first but the PSP version on either a PSP or Vita is just fine as well.

5. The Walking Dead Season 1: Episode 1 (PS4) - Finished on January 3 - 2 hours, 30 minutes

I do not watch the show and I have never read the comic. All I knew coming in was very vaguely that Glenn and Clementine exist and that Clementine is a child and that is it. I am quite a fan of Telltale games and have been keeping my eyes peeled for sales for games I have not played. I really enjoyed the start of this one. I'm used to the normal Episode 1 fare of introducing character, hinting at relationships, but nothing major happening. This one was almost action and intensity from the word go. It even had me keeping my eyes peeled for jump scares or things in the background. In the opening sequence of the game when Lee sees Clementine for the first time it gave me the creeps how it took me a second to notice that she was there. I feel like for a first episode in a game world that now has three or four seasons going for it, a pretty good job is done of establishing how bleak the game world is without really overwhelming the player with a ton of information. Zombies are everywhere and for the moment no one knows why. They just know they will kill anything they can and that anyone bitten will turn. It also does a great job of making the player feel guilty for the choices made. Twice I had to choose between two people and twice I did what I myself thought was the right thing and later on in the episode I am made to feel guilty. This episode did a great job of getting me invested in the characters who survived and seeing what happens to them in future episodes.

6. Mortal Kombat (SNES) - Finished on January 4 - 1 hour

I had never played this game before so I can't really say much about it. I played the Tournament Mode exclusively as Sub-Zero. The controls felt stiff. The gameplay felt dated even from what I remember about Mortal Kombat 3. I had a lot of difficulty consistently getting my freeze attack off, to the point where I know I lost matches that came down to the wire because instead of executing my freeze, I simply did an uppercut that left me vulnerable to any attack in the game. I used some extremely cheap strategies to beat the likes of Kano, Rayden, and Goro. With Kano and Rayden, they have a dive attack that was really difficult for me to avoid. You can sort of bait the AI a little by doing a couple sweeps in a row and they would almost always respond with the dive attack. They both also have an easily spammable projectile attack that not only damages but also cancels my freeze in the air. Goro on the other hand I basically had to cheap out with jump attacks. Like an idiot he kept walking into them. He hits so hard and is so big that any other strategy I tried simply wouldn't work. Throws seem pretty overpowered as the AI would rely on them often to get distance on me. Overall I enjoyed the game for what it was: a 25 year old SNES port of a game clearly designed to be played on something other than an SNES controller. Looking forward to playing MK2 to see how the series progresses.

7. The Walking Dead Season 1: Episode 2 (PS4) - Finished on January 6 - 2 hours

Once again another fantastic job of creating a bleak and oppressive and hopeless atmosphere and mood. I get the feeling that behind every corner is something ready to kill one of the group or that no human left alive is trustworthy at all. Meeting the dairy farmer brothers I suspected them immediately. Everything was a little too perfect. Before it became obvious what was happening I had a little suspicion that that sort of thing was going on. Meeting the woman at the camp and finding Clementine's hat made me think there was some kind of lawless child pornography ring going on out there. Once one of the brothers told me dinner would be a good one, I knew something was way off. Mark was a character that was introduced with little fanfare other than having food. Even the random football player dudes in the woods got more backstory. This episode also did a great job of building and maintaining tension to the point where after the climax I almost felt a wave of relief wash over me that the creepy backwoods dairy farmers couldn't hurt us anymore. Clementine is going to be all kinds of messed up with the things she has seen though. In a game about human eating zombies I knew people would die. I was not prepared for the choices I had to make in episode one and I definitely was not prepared to deal with the consequences of trusting the wrong people in episode 2. I hated Larry but I almost felt like he deserved a little better than getting brained by a salt lick. Also Kenny moving down in my power rankings. I also find it cool that a seven year old girl is the moral compass of a group of adults in this apocalyptic wasteland.

8. The Walking Dead Season 1: Episode 3 (PS4) - Finished on January 7 - 2 hours, 30 minutes

Duck reminds me of Sid from Toy Story. Something about him reminds me of Sid. I am making choices in this episode and wondering how the game would turn out differently. I start to warm up to characters and they reveal themselves to be terrible or they die. I have found as things go on they tend to escalate quickly. This episode was no different. Things escalated quickly and our group was forced to leave the motel. Things escalated quickly when Lilly decided to shoot Carley. Things escalated quickly when I told Kenny to stop the train. I always felt Kenny was sketchy as hell and twice he has decided to not help me out of a jam. I ended up fighting him and he kicked my ass. I try to play games like this as honest and straightforward as possible but there is very little leeway to call other characters out on their bullcrap. I would have called out Kenny two episodes ago. I really feel for the dynamic between Lee and Clementine. Clementine is sweet and innocent and all around her is just absolute carnage and death. I can already tell that the world and the necessities of self preservation are going to corrupt her. She's going to grow up and get older and turn cold and heartless because of all the stuff she has seen. It is horrible but probably unavoidable. I'm pretty sure she has watched someone get killed at least once in every single episode and sometimes more than once. Now Lee is teaching her how to shoot a gun. I try to do right by people in these games but I feel like I'm failing on so many levels. I feel like I could have saved so many people or stopped so many bad things from happening in this episode. Maybe it is the narrative and world building being so wonderful that does that to me. I'm pretty sure that the way these games work is that you cannot save the people who leave/die/whatever but damn I still get that feeling that if I had only done more things would be better.

9. Injustice 2 (PS4) - Finished on January 21 - 7 hours

I completed all chapters in story mode including all alternate scenes. I've opened up my boxes and messed around with single player fights a little bit. I enjoy the game but I'm not the competitive fighting game playing type. I really enjoyed the story again. I wish there was a Justice League or DC Universe action game in the same universe that Injustice takes place in. I think it is such a fresh take on the characters to have them fight and squabble. Even though I know Superman is a jerk I still have hope he will listen to reason. I still feel for him in the Batman ending of the game. I still want the family to stay together so to speak. I think a dynamic like that where there is an uneasy alliance between former friends and allies could really work in a game with similar style to the Batman Arkham games. I may continue to play offline and see how long it takes to raise characters to the max level just to equip some of this gear that I earned from playing the story. Some characters were fun to play as and I can definitely feel some good combos.

10. Pokemon Leaf Green (GBA) - Finished on January 27 - 23 hours, 30 minutes

I was in the mood for Gen 1 after finishing Ultra Sun and romping through Kanto in a Gen 2 game last year. My team consisted of Blastoise, Nidoking, Ninetales. Hypno, and Raichu. The Hypno was really bad. Low special attack throughout the game and couldn't OHKO Bruno's fighters during the E4. Blastoise and Raichu were the backbone of the team. I opted for only five main party members to challenge myself a little bit and alleviate the grinding that would come with having six. You are overleveled for much of the game but the final two gyms and the Elite Four catches things up fairly quickly. Lorelei is really the worst. Quite a few bulky and annoying pokemon that I can't dispatch quickly. Had my Hypno hurt itself in confusion three times in a row dying to a Lapras that was in critical health. Just super frustrating fight despite having multiple pokemon and moves that have the type advantage. I really like Gen 1 as a whole. I enjoy the region and how well paced things are for the most part. I feel like the EXP curve is bad in the mid game because there are many paths you can take that all lead to the same place. Also feel like in the latter part of the game a major dungeon should have been somewhere. After Silph Co you just have a few routes and that is it. It would have helped the EXP curve out a lot. These remakes are great and improve upon the failings of the original games in many ways. Better move pools, better looking and sounding, fixes for many infamous glitches and bugs, and still managing to keep all the cool and quirky things from the original script that everyone remembers. Still a fun experience almost fourteen years later.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
https://www.resetera.com/posts/2740586/

4: Valiant Heart
Completed 6/2/18 - 8 hours

What a heartbreakingly beautiful tale of people stuck in terrible situations and doing their best to survive and help others. Gameplay is nothing special but the story and dialog are really well done. Legit teared up at the end.

5: ABZU
Completed 9/2/18 - 2 hours

A beautifully crafted 'game' similar to Journey, although a bit too short and not as emotionally involved. The visuals are fantastic and the score is just goosebumpathon throughout the 2 hrs playthrough. Probably not worth full price though.

Currently getting through NFS Payback.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
6. Momodora: Reverie under the Moonlight – 07/02/2018

MOMODORA4-24.jpg

This game rocks hard. The beautifully animated spritework and gorgeous backgrounds are a sight to behold, and the lightning fast gameplay and Metroidvania elements really blend together to create an absolute gem of a game. It's like a 2D Bloodborne, only that's indicative of quality rather than just being a lazy shorthand.

7. Soul Nomad & The World Eaters – 09/02/2018

20-1.jpg

The only NIS game I really fell in love with, though I'm giving Disgaea another shot soon. The gameplay is tons of fun and rides the fine line between accessible and complex, never overwhelming you with numbers and mechanics the way other NIS games do, but there's lots to get out of the game if you look for it.

Last edited:

KiDdYoNe

Oct 25, 2017
5. South Park: The Stick of Truth
Played this one on release. Still good and that "bedroom" fight is amazing. Deffo go for it if you're into South Park

6. Batman: Telltale Series
Not sure about this one. Technically, it's a mess even tho I played on PS4 Pro. But story was okay-ish I guess? Liked Harvey tho, pretty good character. Overall - kinda meh. But hey, it was free!

7. South Park: The Fractured But Whole
This game is weeeeeeeeeird. Or at least playing it right after first one makes it so. First of all, I though battle mechanic was worse than the first one, but then I started digging it. Same for the humor. It starts from burps and farts (well, it's main thing here) and goes to ridiculous nonsense at the end. Classic. Loved last 5 hours of the game. If you for whatever reason started and didn't finish it - finish it. It's really good at the end.

I think I'll finish The Evil Within 2 now and might start Bioshock/Prey/Shadow of War. Or something else, who knows.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

27. Mega Man / 4h - completed 11.02.18

Mega-Man-NES-1.jpg

Mega Man has always been a series i've been interested in but never really dove into. Played 9 and 10 when they came out but not for long and definitely didn't even come close to finishing them. I finally decided to give it a fair shot and bought the Legacy Collection on Steam and have now beat the first game, which apparently is the hardest. If true that is very good news since this game kicked my ass all over the place. The majority of the game is hard but reasonably fair. That yellow asshole up there and Fireman in Dr. Wily's castle though should burn in hell. The latter especially is just a very badly design boss, where is pretty much impossible to avoid taking damage. I couldn't imagine beating this game with no save states either. It was the greatest feeling beating it anyway though.

Two of the main reasons Mega Man always drew me in were the fantastic art and music and this game, although far from the best in the series, is still really good in those departments. I can hardly think of better looking NES games than the ones in this series, with the exception of Super Mario 3.

Even if further entries build on everything present here and do it better, it's still a lovely game and very much worth playing.

Chas Hodges

Nov 7, 2017
Original Post

Up to ten! Just beat Orphen: Scion of Sorcery for the PS2. This is a game I never would have bothered getting through if I didn't feel some weird obligation to this thread. It seems stupid, but this site is actually making me play my games rather than the buying / hoarding loop which I've fallen prey to over the last few years.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Main Post

Game 7. Q.U.B.E Directors Cut ★★★ 2 Hours Hour (Jan 23nd to Jan 24nd) - PC
k0NtYIz.jpg

I got major Portal vibes from the gameplay and it was something I had been looking for in a while. Some of the puzzles were hard but in a way that you could still easily figure out with some thought. Nice and varied and the game ran pretty well for the most part. Some stuttering when it would load a new zone but other than that ran smooth. The story was kind of tacked on but I felt it enough to keep you going and the puzzles themselves was the main attraction anyways. If you liked Portal I would recommend it.

Game 8. Star Wars: Republic Commando ★★★★ 9 Hours (Jan 25th to Jan 30th) - PC
Qxbh2ft.jpg

It was a fun FPS. Definitely a port from a console so the aiming was a bit rough but there was fun moments and the story was pretty good. Loved how if you were downed you weren't immediately dead and your unit could save you, unlike other games where if your guys were down, you could save them but they couldn't save you. Hope we get a sequel for it some day but I won't hold my breath.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Original Post

Up to ten! Just beat Orphen: Scion of Sorcery for the PS2. This is a game I never would have bothered getting through if I didn't feel some weird obligation to this thread. It seems stupid, but this site is actually making me play my games rather than the buying / hoarding loop which I've fallen prey to over the last few years.

lol that's part of why i'm doing it. I spent the last year starting up games and playing them for an hour before installing another and repeating. It's working out so far.

Dead Guy

Oct 25, 2017
Saskatchewan, Canada
Main Post

#2 - Paper Mario Sticker Star | 3DS | ~ 25 hours | 02.09.2018| 5/10

kdjxMZb.jpg

This game has been in my backlog for several years now and I finally managed to finish it. One of the main reasons why, is that the game gets pretty tedious the further on you go. I think many people have already talked about how this game fucked up in several ways but the main one for me, is getting rid of the XP system and replacing it with stickers that are found throughout the various levels. What this does is destroy any motivation for engaging in random battles in order to level up your attacks. By only the second world, I was already finding myself trying to dodge my way through all the enemies in order to get the level done quickly. There's just no point and all you're doing is wasting stickers that could be used on enemies that matter. The other thing that I found annoying were many of the boss battles, due to the fact that most of them required a very specific sticker in order to beat. It just became a game of trial and error as there didn't seem to be any logic behind which sticker to use. The last boss battle against Bowser was particularly shitty because of this.

The game did still have that Paper Mario charm though, and there were some legitimately cool moments but overall it was a disappointing entry in the series for me.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Update, main post is here

#05 Monster Hunter World (PS4)
AMAZING – This is the Monster Hunter game I wanted for a long time. New shiny graphics, streamlined expierence without losing the complexity of the franchise. Drop in-/out-Multiplayer is fantastic and works ver I wasn't hooked to a game that hard since Final Fantasy 14. I put close to 90 hours into it in 12 days and just couldn't stop playing. It was only at the very end that I felt a bit burned out after I had to grind 6 more Anjanath fangs to upgrade my fire weapon and the final boss was kind of a slog. I played the whole game with Shield & Sword and I am pretty sure that this will be my weapon of choice in future installments. It really fits my playstyle and is fast and versatile both in offense and defense.

#06 Tales from the Borderlands (PS4)
GOOD – Another enjoyable interactive movie (it's hardly a game) from Telltale. I didn't think they could make much out of the setting but they really created some fun situations and characters and a compelling story. I especially love the intros to the episodes. But to be perfectly honest these games could be a bit shorter. I usually start losing interest in the episode before the last and it was no difference here. I will play Batman next. It's great that these kind of games get released regularly on PS+.

#07 Thumper (PSVR)
GREAT – Man, what a ride. I usually suck at these kind of games but I pushed through without too many troubles. My scores were bad most of the time but this game is all about the experience for me. And it certainly is one of the VR-games I played yet.

Oct 27, 2017
5. Super Mario Odyssey - Switch
Completed 2/8/18
Score - 10/10

I absolutely loved this game. It was constantly giving me nostalgia vibes while being new and inventive at the same time. By the end I was worried it was over all too soon, but once I arrived at the ending location...I couldn't stop smiling. I never go about collecting things once the game is done, but I really want to go for it with Mario Odyssey. It really is a perfect Mario sandbox game!

super-mario-odyssey-10-30-17-1.jpg

6. Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway - PS3
Completed 2/10/18
Score - 7/10

I have had this game for close to a decade and have wanted it cleared from my backlog forever. This thread pushed me to go for it. While it was a thorn in my side, I actually ended up really enjoying it. It's definitely outdated in the controls but the mechanics are still fun and different from other shooters out there. I still enjoyed the earlier BiA titles but this was a fun romp. After the cliffhanger, I really wish they would return and put out another title.

header.jpg

Main Post

Last edited:

PC90

Enlightened
Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Original post

headergysi6.jpg

5) Subnautica (Steam, 40 hours)
Absolutely loved this game. I usually don't get deep into these type of games, but the story beats and the setting itself were more than enough to keep my interest up. A bit clunky here and there, especially if you play with a controller, but nothing too bad.

headerylse6.jpg

6) Hitman: Patient Zero (Steam, 2 hours, maybe?)
Hitman was my GOTY in 2016, so more of it is always welcome. It's a good bonus thing, especially the last mission is wild. Maybe a little expensive for what you are getting.

headero6spp.jpg

7) Delete (Steam, 3 hours)
Like LineWay by the same developer, a simple and short puzzle game. I liked this one a bit more than LineWay though.

Currently playing:
Night in the Woods
Trails Evolution: Gold Edition
New Super Mario Bros. 2

Deleted member 1759

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Europe
Main Post

Games #9-#12

Gorgeous platformer and the game is free on Steam. I really liked the idea that you control the protagonist and her spirit at the same time. There are parts were the controls are just too inaccurate and you can easily fail at a jump. But since there are a lot of checkpoints it didn't get frustrating.

A classic Point & Click adventure but I was a bit disappointed by it. There was a lot of backtracking, the story was quite boring and the puzzles mediocre at best.

Fun Walking Simulator with an enjoyable story which had me hooked (and confused) until the end. I loved the ice desert setting and the fact that the devs implemented a survival element that fitted the setting. The puzzles were (too) simple.

Another free game and this one is weird. A very artsy-fartsy game in which you explore a surreal train station. Don't think it's a game most will enjoy but it's an interesting experience. The soundtrack is awesome though.

Last edited:

Decarbia

Oct 25, 2017
#7 Xenosaga II, PS2
A much better artstyle and story than the first game but much less game. Lots of weird design decisions. The removal of shops and equipment, the refined battle system, the ES system. And also much of the game feels like short segments between cutscenes. Still a lot of fun.

Oct 27, 2017
7. What Remains of Edith Finch - PS4
Completed 2/12/18
Score - 8/10

This was probably the best walking simulator I have played thus far. I appreciated the story even though it was pretty depressing. The game threw quite a few interesting curve-balls to help you get interested and invested in the story. While it was short, I think the length was perfect for the game. The house design was great and I enjoyed this way more than Gone Home (which was meh).

header.jpg

Main Post

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017
01. Swapper (Steam, 2018/01/02, 4.8 hours)

The atmosphere is only rivaled by the puzzles in this scifi platformer. The gameplay focus is leaning heavily towards the puzzle rooms and I wish they had more metroidvania in between them to space things out (pun intended). You create clones of yourself, switch bodies and solve the puzzles to progress. The difficulty is nicely varied and the challenge manageable. I really like the look of this game. There's this grittiness, which reminded me a lot of the outdoor scenes from Alien.

02. Hollow Knight (Steam, 2018/01/30, 38 hours)

This game gets the joy of getting lost and unlost right. You don't have to discover everything and yet manage to get by. The controls and gameplay are as tight as it get. But wait, there is more: the presentation sports beautiful animation, art direction, distinctive areas and soundtrack. The world of Hollow Knight is bleak, but also adorable at the same time. The best Dark Souls + Metroidvania fusion to date, instant classic!

03. Uncharted: The Lost Legacy (PS4, 2018/02/10, 9 hours)

This spin off is great. It's smaller in "global" scale, but having all events in one region wasn't an issue. I enjoyed the complete package: stunning utilization of the PS4 hardware, gorgeous art direction, cinematic special effects, excellent sound design and music. The gameplay was masterful paced with a good mix of exploration, path finding, puzzles, stealth and gunfights. The story and character chemistry had me worried at the beginning, but this seems almost by design now that I've seen it all. Lost Legacy is definitely a worthy Uncharted game in my book.

04. Soft Body (Steam, 2018/02/13, 2.6 hours)

Action distilled into pure abstraction. Your soft body paints the walls and objects while dodging bullet hell lite patterns. The gameplay calls for controlling two bodies at the same time, which results in "patting your head while rubbing your stomach" moments. Gameplay is highly responsive and a joy. The presentation is as abstract as the rest of it all. The soundtrack and audio design, ties everything together with IDM/Braindance like boundlessness.

[index]

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
8. Resident Evil Remake HD - 13/02/2018

Resident-Evil-Remake.jpg

My favourite Resident Evil title. Its stunning graphics and presentation shine with the HD makeover, and the game is genuinely tense and horrifying, with just the right amount of Capcom cheesiness.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Master Post

d3T0ndK.png

It only took about a year. Nothing has been so consistently easy to play off and on for almost 365 days as this. Tha may seem damning bbut it's actually a compliment. Easy to pick back up I always felt like I could get swept back into the would that Nintendo has built. An amazing accomplisment both was an open world Zelda game and as a portable game. When I saw that Switch Reveal trailer last March I never would have imagined this game would live up to the feelings that left in me. I am happy to have been wrong.

3zkDngl.png

The first Pokemon game I have finished since the oringals but, for all the improvements ended up just highlighting how far there is to go. Quick select items, flying whenever and whereever, and so much more are dragged down by an almost completely identical battle system and frustrating holdevers that make no sense. HM's are bad at this point (I know they fix this in Sun and Moon); why are some Pokemon just impossible to catch even when the health bar is basically empty. Overall, I am hopeful for a better update to this formula wich Pokemon Switch.

Last edited:

PC90

Enlightened
Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Original Post

header4xrxj.jpg

8) Night in the Woods (Steam, 8 hours and 30 minutes)
I'm not quite sure how I feel about this one. On one hand it hits really close to home and there are some genuinely great moments in this game. But on the other hand, the dream sequences are pretty bad and I can't say I like how the game wrapped up either. Overall I'm glad I played it, but I had higher hopes for it.

Oct 27, 2017
2: Hidden my game by mom (16/1/2018) ★★★
I enjoyed my time with this game and while it had some boring puzzles, the awesome ending made me like this game.

3: Assassins Creed Rogue (22/1/2018) ★★★★

This game is basically Black Flag 2 but the mission design is better, So no more tailing someone while they are talking or anything like that. It fixed my problems from BF but I felt like the setting and the story are worse. Pirates are much more unique and interesting and I liked the Caribbean islands more than NY and the Arctic. Still, gameplay wise it is much better than BF.

4: Outrun 2 (8/2/2018) ★★★★
I decided to play Outrun 2 because it has different stages and I loved it. The game was great (off course it was since it is Outrun) and looks great. If I had to choose between this and SP then I choose that as the stages are better though not by much.

5: Monkey Island 2 Revenge of Le Chuck (10/2/2018) ★★★★
Good follow up to the original and with an even better setting. The game's art and the music were great and atmospheric. I was also surprised by the plot twist, I didn't see it coming. The reason I didn't give it the full score was the cliffhanger.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
Mainpost: https://www.resetera.com/posts/4037718/
New entries:

6. Pan-Pan [NSW] - 180210 - ★★★
7. Heroes of Might and Magic 3 - [PC] - 180214 - ★★★
8. Win, Lose, or Draw [NES] - 180214 - ★★
9. Fisher Price: Perfect Fit [NES] - 180214 - ★★
10 Snoopy's Silly Sports Spectacular! [NES] - 180214 - ★★

Had a run today and beat 4 games. Despite having playing Heroes of Might and Magic 3 on and off since launchday back in 99. I had yet to finish the campaign.. I decided I had to fix that and spent the weekend playing the campaign and finished it today. Also, since I had a rule that I had to beat at least 10 games before I bought one this year I took aim for google and searched for quick NES games to beat since I have over 500 sitting on my shelf that I have yet to beat. And the 3 I beat took a combined 35-45 minutes to beat. It aint pretty, but at least I didnt cheat :D

I think I might continue to beat a few easier games from my NES-library while I beat XC2.. and since that's game is a long way from done It's gonna feel better to see the completed games list actually grow, and the backlog of unfinished games get smaller.

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
Main post

Finished playing through the God of War trilogy and... Knack.

6. God of War I (01/28) [PS3]
- Platinum trophy. Game hasn't aged well, in my opinion. I can appreciate how this game would have been amazing at the time though. The UI and menus in particular feels very dated, likewise despite being the HD version of the PS2 game there were instances of some cutscenes that were PS2 quality that felt a little jarring. Regardless, I enjoyed playing the game and it's made me look forward to playing the rest of the trilogy.
7. God of War II (02/03) [PS3] - Platinum trophy. Huge upgrade over the first game. Some of the controls were adjusted a little over the original which took a little getting used too at first, however the game felt like a huge improvement and I can see why some people regard it as the best in the series.
8. God of War III (02/11) [PS4] - Platinum trophy. The first thing that stood out to me with this game is how awesome the soundtrack is. The Cronos boss fight was epic, probably the biggest scale boss fight I've played in a game. Now I'm ready and looking forward to God of War 4.
9. Knack (02/14) [PS4] - Completed the story. Such an average game at best. You can sum the majority of the game as a series of different rooms you walk through with a few spaced out random enemies which you dodge and kill. Rinse and repeat. That's the game. Also pretty much every chapter you start out as little Knack, which is the weak and boring one and then by the end of the chapter you are the big Knack. Again, rinse and repeat.