• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

LonestarZues

Oct 27, 2017
https://www.resetera.com/posts/3243362

Master Post above.

24. Far Cry 5 - PS4 - 3/31 - 31 1/2 hours: What a treat. Gameplay wise it's my favorite Far Cry game to date still and it might just be my favorite in the series. Also had an amazing soundtrack that I'll be listening to throughout the year. 9/10

25. Gears of War 3 - XBOX 1 - 4/3 - 9 hours: After this replay I can safely say Gears 3 is my favorite Gears game and Microsoft exclusive. What a ride with some tears in there mixed with the amazing gameplay and narrative. 10/10

26. Gears of War 4 - XBOX 1 - 4/6 - 9 1/2 hours: I enjoyed the game for the most part. The parts that I could've done without were the build/horde mode chapters. Not sure what they were going for there, but I didn't like them. Aside from that I really enjoyed the dynamic been JD, Kait, and Del. Ending was really good as well and will be there day 1 for Gears of War 5. 8/10

27. Rise of the Tomb Raider - PS4 - 4/10 - 20 hours: Never got around to finishing the game before, it was always one thing or another getting in the way, but now that I have I really enjoyed my time with it. Lara has always been one of my favorite video game characters since she debuted back on PS1 and it's always a treat raiding tombs with her. Hopefully I can play Shadow of the Tomb Raider day 1 without any hitches. 9/10

28. Rise of the Tomb Raider: Baba Yaga - PS4 - 4/10 - 2 hours: It was ok. Didn't like it didn't hate it. The boss fight was a chore though. 6/10

29. Rise of the Tomb Raider: Blood Ties - PSVR - 4/11 - 2 hours: Went in expecting nothing and was pleasantly surprised. Really enjoyed diving into the Croft family lore and VR definetly added to the experience. 8/10

Last edited:

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
I've been a bit lazy, so I've only just got my first ten write-ups done. I think I'll get the next bunch done next weekend.

OP
Backloggery

CshqD4s.jpg

Game #01 - Dragon Quest V: The Hand of the Heavenly Bride (DS) - 13/01/18

Dragon Quest V has been sitting in my backlog for years because it was a bit too grindy for my liking when I first bought it and gave it a try. But with all the travel over the Christmas and New Years period, I started up a new game to help pass the time and really enjoyed it. I absolutely loved the way it's structured, going from the main character's childhood to adulthood to parenthood. There's some really archaic parts of it, like how it lets you literally choose your wife, but the way it all comes together is really cool. Great game. 4/5

10T6p9o.jpg

Game #02 - Kingdom Hearts Re:Chain of Memories (PS4) - 17/01/18

The PS2 version of Re:Chain of Memories never got a PAL release and I never played the original GBA version, so I was interested in playing this even if I'd heard bad things about it. After finishing it, I can understand where those complaints come from. The level design is lifeless, the story is barebones and the combat ranges from incredibly easy (if you're playing as Sora) to incredibly annoying (mainly if playing as Riku and it gives you a bad deck). It can be fun at times but it's mostly just boring. 2/5

S9vBRvS.jpg

Game #03 - Resident Evil 7: biohazard DLC (PS4) - 26/01/18

I loved RE7 last year but held off from buying the DLC until recently because most of Banned Footage Vol 1 didn't seem very interesting to me. After buying the season pass and going through everything, I'm amazed at how much variety they managed to get out of RE7's mechanics. Each mode has its own use of RE7's mechanics, from End of Zoe's focus on melee combat and Not a Hero's focus on shooting to Jack's 55th Birthday's time attack item collection and Bedroom's escape room. Hell, there's even a blackjack-esque mode in there. It wasn't all for me, I bounced off of the Ethan Must Die, Nightmare and the harder blackjack modes, but there's so much variety in there that it doesn't really matter because there was still more than enough that I enjoyed, especially End of Zoe. Easily one of the most worthwhile season passes I've ever bought. 4/5

hkmdHYk.jpg

Game #04 - The Silver Case (PS4) - 27/01/18

I didn't have the best experience playing The Silver Case because I went all the way through the Transmitter scenario, not realising I should've switched between it and the Placebo scenario after each chapter. As a result, it was a lot more confusing than it should've been and I probably didn't enjoy it as much as I otherwise would've. It's still a good game and story, just not quite as good as I was expecting. 3/5

ra7TCGx.jpg

Game #05 - EA Sports UFC (PS4) - 01/02/18

This has been sitting in my backlog for the last three years because the tutorial put me to sleep when I first tried it but I've been meaning to get back to it ever since. EA's attempt at a UFC game is a mixed bag. The stand-up fighting is pretty good but then when you get into the clinch or onto the ground, it suddenly turns into a really shitty mini-game that's more frustrating than fun. I still managed to get some fun out of it but it has way too many flaws for me to consider it any good. I don't think I'll bother looking into the sequels though, because nothing I've seen from them makes it look like EA's addressed its fundamental flaws. 2/5

5BeB46t.jpg

Game #06 - Night in the Woods (PS4) - 02/02/18

I wasn't sure what to expect going into Night in the Woods, other than what I'd heard: A story about that awkward phase between university and the next stage of your life, which intrigued me. What I ended up getting was a very funny, witty and touching game. It's so well done and I ended up loving the entire cast of characters because of it. On top of that, the art style is brilliant and I had a lot of fun exploring the city and finding all the small secrets and new people to talk to. Great game. 4/5

9NcG1j9.jpg

Game #07 - God of War III Remastered (PS4) - 07/02/18

I played through the first two God of War's last year in preparation for the new installment, so now that it has a release date, I decided to finish that refresher off with the God of War 3 remaster. While my memories of God of War 3 weren't quite as good as God of War 2 and I knew the story was a bit of a mess, I have really fond memories of a lot of the sequences in the game and was very happy to find out that they still hold up. The fight against Poseidon is still the best opening in the series and that's a saying a lot, while the Kronos fight is absolutely epic. The combat grapple is a great addition, adding another dimension to combat by allowing you to chain together combos in a really fluid and fun way. And the other big thing I noticed was just how much style the game has, there's some amazing art direction in that game. Sadly, the story is just as bad as I remember, with their very clumsy attempt to retcon Kratos' personality shift from God of War 2 onwards and there's a couple of parts that are pretty fucked up (particularly the part with Poseidon's mistress) but having said all that, I think the good easily outweighs the bad and I still consider God of War 3 a great game. 4/5

XRTIc89.jpg

Game #08 - RIME (PS4) - 09/02/18

I adore ICO, so I was looking forward to RIME the minute it was announced way back at Sony's 2013 Gamescom conference because of the obvious influences ICO has had on both the art and game design. All the talk and rumours about it since then kinda put me off but getting it from PS+ this month was a pretty great surprise and I started it immediately. I didn't quite enjoy it as much as I hoped I would because the story just didn't seem that interesting to me until the very end but I did like its art design and a lot of its puzzle design. 3/5

ouM9z6W.jpg

Game #09 - The Fall Part 2: Unbound (PS4) - 18/02/18

I've been highly anticipating The Fall Part 2 ever since I finished the original The Fall and after a number of delays, it finally came out and I bought it straight away. I found the story, characters, scenarios and most of the puzzles to be fantastic, as good (if not better) than the original. But what stops it from being quite as good is both the combat, melee and shooting, and puzzles near the end of the game. Shooting is actually improved on the original but the amount of it, as well as melee combat, isn't interesting or what I want from it. While it's often very confusing what you need to do next in the end-game puzzles and I often resorted to brute forcing them by looking at or selecting every option possible. I might be focusing on the negatives too much because I still really enjoyed The Fall Part 2, it was just a bit disappointing following the original game. They still did more than enough to bring me back for Part 3, however, and I'm looking forward to it. 3/5

WrrqgeT.png

Game #10 - Kingdom Hearts 2: Final Mix (PS4) - 04/03/18

#3 in my quest to finish every Kingdom Hearts game before 3 comes out and I think I played it too soon after Re:Chain of Memories because I got pretty burnt out halfway through. Kingdom Hearts 2 is two steps forward from the first game and one step backwards. Combat, story telling (aside from the overly long prologue) and game design have taken a huge step forward and make it a much more fun and coherent game but this comes at the expense of the level design. It seemed like KH2's designers took the criticisms of the confusing objectives and layouts from the original and went nuclear on KH2, killing any complexity within the level design. This leads to a lot of extremely simple, linear and, frankly, boring levels that may as well be corridors. It sucks because everything else is such a big step up but the worlds just aren't very interesting. Additionally, I knew this going in so I was expecting it but Kingdom Hearts 2 is also when the KH story starts going nuts (technically Chain of Memories was but that was intended to setup KH2). Add all that to my fatigue from Re:Chain of Memories and that's why it took a lot longer to finish than it otherwise would've. It's annoying but I got there in the end and, despite the flaws and burn out, still ended up enjoying it more than KH1. 3/5

Next up is Birth by Sleep, which I'm really excited to play because I haven't played it before and I've heard a lot of good things, but I think I'll take a break from Kingdom Hearts for at least a couple months now. Assuming Kingdom Hearts 3 doesn't come out till September at the earliest, that still gives me plenty of time to finish the final two games, plus the short Birth by Sleep epilogue in KH2.8.

KiDdYoNe

Oct 25, 2017
Am I the only one lazy to include pics? :P
Main Post

12. inFamous: Second Son

Second Son was weird. I mean, I loved it because of the looks and gameplay, but it kinda felt like a "here's some missions for you to complete" even tho there is a little story for that. But as said before, overall it's a good game with amazing looks. Will gladly play First Light.

13. Diablo 3

Searching for some coop me and my friend saw Diablo 3 on sale. Coming from Destiny 2 I forgot how proper loot game should be (even tho Diablo isn't?). We just finished campaign but looks like the real fun just begins with Reaper of Souls expansion.
86745743 items out of 10 would loot again.

Deleted member 32615

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Update: April 1st, 2018
The-Last-of-Us-Remastered-Review-455974-2.jpg

11. The Last of Us: Remastered (PS4) (Around 15 Hours) (5/5)
What an amazing game. I decided after beating the 4 Uncharteds I wanted to play TLOU for the first time, and I was not disappointed. This game is easily in the top 100 best games of all time. The story, gameplay (at times), soundtrack, characters, visuals, tiny secrets and everything in between is just so amazing. Whether it's in Boston for the first time or the University in the latter half of the game, it never ceases to amaze. The story is the best of all of Naughty Dog's games, and the story of Ellie and Joel is sad, fun and grand. There's so many characters that hide an extra layer to the game, whether it's the craziness of Bill, or someone like Henry trying to survive with his little brother, Sam, they all are memorable and unique. The soundtrack is also great, it's so soft and never over the top and produces some amazing moments between characters, especially the ending. The gameplay is my only gripe. At times it can be slow and a bit tedious, but it never feels too much of an issue. Whether it's the shooting mechanics, riding a horse or solving puzzles, it all handles well most of the time. The infected are some of the more terrifying enemies in games. This all comes off of one area in the game where you and Ellie are split apart and you need to find eachother. You're stuck in a room and there's just that sense of dread.

I was hesitant to rate The Last of Us so highly, but it is so, god damn, amazing.

Original Post

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
header.jpg

Game #42 - Assassin's Creed Origins The Hidden Ones
Time: 7 hours

The first, and smallest (also cheapest) of the two DLC expansions to AC:Origins sees us follow
Bayek's adventures 4 years after the end of Origins, now fully entrenched in the Assassin brotherhood
. If Origins was the, well, Origin of the Brotherhood, this is like it's first steps. This expansion features a new piece of land, Sinai (like I said before, as if the original map wasnt big enough already), new weapons to collect and various quests and activities to do, much like the main game, but unfortunately, that is also it's problem, it feels too much like the main game. It's like they condensed the 50-60 hours of Origins into a 5-8 (depending on how fast and how thorough you are with the content) chunk, where you have all the same types of things to do again, from various roman camps to treasures and viewpoints, it even has it's own seaside for a little water action. Heel, it has a couple of stone circles for example which doesnt even make sense since that quest was finished, naratively in the main game. It's very much a case of "hey did you love Origins and want more of it? here you go", which if fine, but I was hoping for something more substancial, which I'm hoping Curse of the Pharaohs gives. Still, there are some good quests here, the main story is ok with a nice ending, a welcome character returns and you get the msot Assassin-y looking costume yet, and a couple of awesome looking mounts so it's still recomended if you liked the main game, especially since you'll probably get it via the season pass along with Curse.

Main Post

Deleted member 5086

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Main Post

My update for March. Again, didn't finish as much as I'd like last month. Hopefully April will be better.

March
13. Life is Strange: Before the Storm - Bonus Episode; "Farewell" (PS4) - 06/03/2018
lis-bts-farewell4esl3.png

14. Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (PS4) - 10/03/2018
uncharted-drakes-fortxvsbm.png

15. Uncharted 2: Among Thieves (PS4) - 21/03/2018
uncharted-2e9rq8.png

16. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - The Champions' Ballad (Switch) - 31/03/2018
champions-balladrzq41.png

17. Street Fighter V: Arcade Edition (PS4) - 31/03/2018
street-fighter-v-arcajuq4v.png

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
27. Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards - 01/04/2018

Kirby64_box.jpg

Writer's block is a bitch, so I played Kirby instead because I was hungry for more without having to pay $80 CAD for Star Allies.

RampagingSoul

Oct 25, 2017
OP

I forgot to post my thoughts for my February games, so I'll post brief thoughts on those along with my March games. Long post incoming.

5: SoulCalibur II (GCN, PS2, PS3, Xbox, 360) - 4 Hrs 25 Mins (2/2/2018)
#Still a great, fun fighting game to this day. Keep coming back to it every once and a while.
6: Gorogoa (NSW, PC, iOS, Android) - 2 Hrs 5 Mins (2/4/2018)
#A great little puzzle game that was interesting. A short but sweet experience.
7: Fire Emblem Heroes - Book 1 (iOS, Android) - About 8-9 Hrs (2/9/2018)
#Definitely Fire Emblem lite, but it's great in short sessions and I haven't spent a dime on it yet.
8: Trace Memory (DS) - 3 Hrs 57 Mins (2/20/2018)
#I got this for free and I definitely enjoyed the story of this game. Pretty short, but enjoyable.
9: Shadow of the Colossus (PS4 Remake) - 9 Hrs 58 Mins (2/21/2018)
#Finally got to this game and I loved almost everything about it. The atmosphere, the story, most of the Colossi and finding out how to beat them. Going in blind was a great decision.
10: Odin Sphere: Leifthrasir (PS3, PS4, Vita) - 29 Hrs 29 Mins (2/26/2018)
#Enjoyed all the different storylines and how each character had a slightly different playstyle, even if it wasn't an overhaul on each character's moveset. Loved it.
11: Utawarerumono: Mask of Deception (PS4, Vita) - 23 Hrs 23 Mins (3/3/2018)
#A great visual novel with some SRPG battles mixed in. I have a LTTP post on ResetEra that has more of thoughts on Utawarerumono games.
12: Magical Drop III (NeoGeo, PS4, XB1, NSW) - 1 Hr 30 Mins (3/6/2018)
#A nice little puzzle game that I got for free, thanks to the MyNintendo Gold Coins I had.
13: Utawarerumono: Mask of Truth (PS4, Vita) - 51 Hrs 48 Mins (3/12/2018)
#An awesome follow-up that succeeds in improving on its predecessor. This game kept me glued to my Vita until I beat it.
14: Hatsune Miku: Project Mirai DX (3DS) - 5 Hrs 25 Mins (3/17/2018)
#A replay of all the songs and stuff. Not my favorite Miku, but still a great game.
15: Subsurface Circular (NSW, PC, iOS) - 1 Hr 25 Mins (3/22/2018)
#A nice little text adventure that I wish had more to it, but the story kept me engaged.
16: Pocket Card Jockey (3DS) - 19 Hrs 57 Mins (3/24/2018)
#An addicting little game that kept me coming back in chunks until I finally beat it.
17: Deemo (NSW, Vita, iOS, Android) - About 3 Hrs (3/30/2018)
#A nice rhythm game with a charming story that I'll keep coming back to.
18. Superbeat: Xonic (NSW, PS4, XB1, Vita) - About 6-7 Hrs (3/31/2018)
#Another rhythm game that I'll come back to every once and a while and I definitely enjoyed it.

31GhostsIV

Oct 26, 2017
I've managed to play so many games this year that I feel like I might be able to manage the challenge, so here goes:

1) A Night in the Woods
Completed a single playthrough. It was ok, but not interesting enough to warrant a second run. Oxenfree was a much more entertaining version of this kind of game.
2) Batman - A Telltale Series
Single playthrough - platinum trophy. Picked this up on PS Plus - it's a Telltale game, so if you enjoy TT and Batman it's hard not to recommend, despite a few silly narrative and character choices.
3) Tekken 7
Platinum trophy - Great fighter and a much better overall value package than Street Fighter V with roster, modes etc
4) Street Fighter V Arcade Edition
I have a love/hate thing with this game, it's good that the fighting itself is so great. The in-game economy and 'live events', not so much.
5) Shadow of the Colossus
I first attempted to play the HD version on PS3 but shelved it due to the terrible controls - no such issue here. I finally beat the game and now know what the fuss was about - highly recommended.
6) Sky Force Anniversary
I had nothing to play, so dug this little mobile port out of my PS Plus backlog. Glad I did - yes, it's full of mobile FTP mechanics (that you don't need to pay real money for) but i'm a sucker for a classic 2D-style arcade shooter. Worth a look if you need to scratch that itch.
7) Undertale
Played through once, passive apart from the bosses that I murdered. Entertaining for the running time, but fell short of the extremely high praise it received IMO.
8) Hellblade - Senua's Sacrifice
Platinum trophy - I enjoyed this game a lot - sometimes the swordplay could be a little one dimensional, but as the game's runtime is only around 6-8 hours, it didn't outstay its welcome. I thought it was stunning to look at, too. Would definitely like to see more games of this quality/price point.
9) Far Cry 5 (platinum trophy)
I enjoyed this game a lot. Yes, it's yet another instalment of the Ubisoft formula. No, the story isn't as good as it probably should be - but I couldn't put it down since I bought it a week ago until I got the last trophy earlier, so definitely recommended unless you've just been playing another Ubi open world game, in which case I'd play a palate cleanser first lest you go mad chasing seemingly endless icons around the map.
10) Minit (First run)
Fun little game with a really interesting premise. Will likely go back to polish off the trophies.
11) God of War
Played to Platinum Trophy
I'm sure I have nothing to say that hasn't been mentioned already. If you have a PS4 and enjoy single player games, you need this in your life.
12) Arms (Switch)
I just borrowed my son's copy of this and blew through training, grand prix mode and a couple of ranked matches. It's ok, some interesting ideas... but I have no desire to play it again. The kind of came where a sequel could be really good.

--- Currently In Progress ---

Beyond Two Souls (PS4): It's so awful that I need to keep playing to see what hack fraud David Cage is going to do next.
Donkey Kong - Tropical Freeze (Switch): I'm not a huge fan of this - the emphasis is on trial and error, and in a time of Rayman being sent back to the start of the level because you ran out of lives instead of just returning to the part of the level that was challenging you is quite off-putting. The bosses also kill the pacing. Currently slogging through world 5, so hopefully will make it to the end at some point. It's OK but doesn't live up to the hype. I'll eventually beat the final boss and shelve/forget about it.

--- backlog ----

Trials Fusion: Awesome Max Edition
Picked it up in the Easter sale. I'm pretty rough but getting better. Will consider it 'beaten' when I've got medals on all of the vanilla tracks. I love the standard game, but I think the Unicorn levels are awful so far.
Knack
Playing through this with my son. He loved it initially, but we seem to have both forgotten about it. Make of that what you will...
The Sexy Brutale
Recommended by a friend, and I couldn't get into it. Will try again though as I feel like i'm missing something.
Polybius
Really fun classic shooter/epileptic fit waiting to happen. I've only scratched the surface though.
Rez Infinite
Picked this up last year - I love it but i'm stuck on the fourth story mission. Will definitely return to polish it off.
Crash Bandicoot (from the trilogy collection)
I want to finish this, but the level i'm stuck on is driving me nuts. Might go back, we'll see...
Mad Max
I may shelve this, it's painfully MEDIOCRE
Q*bert Rebooted
Trackmania Turbo
Sonic Mania
(Switch) - I pick this up now and again and make progress with it, hopefully I can finish a run at some point this year.
Mario X Rabbids - Even as a fan of bot Mario and XCom, I don't enjoy this much, maybe i'll try to slog through to the end.
Mega Man Legacy Collection - I tend to pick this up between games. Never quite finish anything though.

-----Upcoming Games-----

Dark Souls Remastered, Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Collection, Mega Man X Legacy Collection 1, Sega Mega Drive Collection

Last edited:

Tonton

Oct 25, 2017
Main Post

5.Dark Souls III + Ashes of Ariandel and Ringed City - 02/04 - 64:24 (PC)
Not a complete run but beat all bosses on NG. Had an absolute blast with it, it's exactly what I've wanted out of a sequel of Dark Souls and might actually surpass the original for me

Currently Playing Nier Automata but kinda stuck in route C since the game keeps freezing on the same section, might try a few shorter games for a bit

Tonton

Oct 25, 2017
Do you have your framerate unlocked? This sounds like a bug you get from unlocking the fps.
No I didn't do anything to the FPS (I'm not even sure if I can get 60 constantly)

Mind, it's not at the exact same point, sometimes I manage to progress more sometimes less but so far I couldn't clear this section because it always freezes before I can save

Donsonite

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
No I didn't do anything to the FPS (I'm not even sure if I can get 60 constantly)

Mind, it's not at the exact same point, sometimes I manage to progress more sometimes less but so far I couldn't clear this section because it always freezes before I can save
Oh, dang.

It's filled to the rim with issues. Pretty terrible that Square Enix didn't bother fixing it at all, even after the great PC sales.

Rokal

Oct 25, 2017
Here's my update for this month:

March

10: Darkest Dungeon - 40 hours
OO88VPh.png

This game was such a mixed bag. I loved the presentation of it, the idea of having physical and mental damage for characters, the crazy variety of classes, skills, items, quirks, and on and on. Despite being a slow paced game it's very stressful to play, it only takes a little bad luck from a crit or two or some status effects to turn a quest that is going well into a disaster where you're going to lose one or more characters. The RNG leads to some pretty obnoxious deaths, and the time/grinding cost when you lose characters caused me to put the game down when it originally launched. The new-ish Radiant difficulty feels like a really smart response to this: the challenge of the game is mostly maintained, but it's faster to recover from losses and you get through the whole game in less time. Ultimately, the game still does feel pretty grindy. You need to put a lot of work into characters before they are ready for the end-game, and the game encourages you to do that in the safest ways possible. This means the entire max-rank of dungeon difficulties is a waste: you're just risking your characters if you go there, and the payoff of more resources vs bringing your characters to a mid-range dungeon is almost never worth it. It's a smartly made game but not without flaws. I liked it enough that I'm looking forward to picking up the DLC some day and doing another playthrough, but I hope if they make a sequel some day it's a bit better balanced and less randomized. Also, this review applies to the PC version: I found the ports on iOS and handheld devices to be totally unplayable, and it seemed like they made almost no effort to adapt the UI of the game to the smaller screens.
8/10

11: Night in the Woods - 10 hours
UrZaVpp.png

What impressed me most about Night in the Woods is how authentic the characters and the town feel. Here is a game about a small town that has already seen its best days. Given the way job opportunities and populations have trended more and more towards urban hubs over the last two decades in the US, small towns in decline like the fictional one depicted in the game are all over the place. The game reminded me of my home town and how I feel everytime I go back. Exploring the stories of the characters who were stuck there and felt trapped by lack of opportunity reminded me of the real friends I had that never moved and have really struggled. I didn't like the more fantastical parts of the game, including the ending, as the game was strongest when it felt grounded.
7/10

12: Into the Breach - 10 hours
I6vjy1K.png

Into the Breach is a strategy game halfway between X-Com and Advanced Wars, though I struggled with how to describe it when writing this and it really is its own unique thing. I love how every turn of every battle in feels like a puzzle to solve and how well the game translates what is going to happen in a turn so you can plan based on what you see in front of you. It scratches somewhat of the same itch as Advanced Wars, but the stakes always feel much higher and the game has much more emphasis on tactics. The variety in mechs and how much 1-2 ability changes per chassis can change your entire strategy really speaks to how much depth there is. If I had one change to request, it would have been for a more traditional campaign in addition to the short repeatable rogue-like game mode. That said, the price is more than fair for what you get.
9/10

13: We Were Here - 1 hour
f7edLcx.png

This is a short free "pilot" episode of a would-be series of games on Steam. It's played entirely in co-op, and the goal is to communicate with your partner over voice chat about what you're each seeing in different rooms in order to understand and solve puzzles to escape a dungeon. Basically, like one of those "Escape" group activities that people do in real life, but with neither of you ever being in the same room in-game. It's a cool idea and it's generous as a free no-strings-attached game, but it had a lot of technical issues and bugs that led to some frustrating moments. Still, if you like co-op games and have a friend to play this with, it's a cool experience.
6/10

14: What Remains of Edith Finch - 3.5 hours
dKjyIX7.png

I was prepared to hate this after the first 15 minutes where the premise is revealed: explore the stories of a bunch of unrelatable rich eccentric white people, but this blew me away. So often "walking sims" feel like they have chosen that genre with budget constraints in mind, or because it was the simplest vehicle to tell their story, but What Remains quickly shows that there is nothing simple or low-budget about it. The stories of the family members you explore go some wild places and I loved the gameplay and visual variety in each. Moreover, I loved how creative the whole thing felt. This is definitely one of my favorite games I have played in the last year.
9/10

15: Nioh - 40 hours
Py5Zg7q.png

This is a replay since I finished it last year as well. I picked up the season pass recently and then realized that the save that was left on the PS+ cloud after my PS4 Pro died was not post-game. Instead, it was at the last regular game mission: a long and tough boss gauntlet. I relearned the controls in an early mission and then gave the last mission a shot. It was a disaster of course, I was definitely not good enough at Nioh to finish the final level again after a ~1 year break from playing.

So, I restarted from the beginning and decided to mix up my build and try a DLC weapon (Tonfa). I was surprised that it still felt really really hard. I thought my knowledge of boss patterns, enemy spawn points, and how the game stats worked would make the game a cakewalk but Nioh is never a cakewalk. Whereas Soulsborne games are largely about succeeding through 80% knowledge (where enemies are, how they attack, etc.) and 20% execution, the execution requirement for Nioh is much higher. It's not uncommon to get 1 or 2-shot by an enemy you have been fighting for dozens of missions if you make a small error in gameplay. Some of the bosses actually seemed harder than I remembered in the first half of the game, somehow. My character build was much better this time around though, with light-armor and high damage, so by the second half of the game I did find that I was able to murder bosses that had given me a really hard time the first time I played.

I was also surprised that my original criticisms of the game from last year: too long, too repetitive, not enough enemy variety, didn't seem to bother me in my replay. I think when I no longer had any expectation that the game was going to show me new things, since it was just a replay, I ceased to be disappointed by seeing the same things. The game became less about overcoming new obstacles, and instead was about perfecting my gameplay and getting through enemies and levels efficiently. The game took ~20 hours less for me to finish this time (despite doing more of the side content) and I enjoyed my second playthrough more than my first.
9/10

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
10: Darkest Dungeon - 40 hours
OO88VPh.png

This game was such a mixed bag. I loved the presentation of it, the idea of having physical and mental damage for characters, the crazy variety of classes, skills, items, quirks, and on and on. Despite being a slow paced game it's very stressful to play, it only takes a little bad luck from a crit or two or some status effects to turn a quest that is going well into a disaster where you're going to lose one or more characters. The RNG leads to some pretty obnoxious deaths, and the time/grinding cost when you lose characters caused me to put the game down when it originally launched. The new-ish Radiant difficulty feels like a really smart response to this: the challenge of the game is mostly maintained, but it's faster to recover from losses and you get through the whole game in less time. Ultimately, the game still does feel pretty grindy. You need to put a lot of work into characters before they are ready for the end-game, and the game encourages you to do that in the safest ways possible. This means the entire max-rank of dungeon difficulties is a waste: you're just risking your characters if you go there, and the payoff of more resources vs bringing your characters to a mid-range dungeon is almost never worth it. It's a smartly made game but not without flaws. I liked it enough that I'm looking forward to picking up the DLC some day and doing another playthrough, but I hope if they make a sequel some day it's a bit better balanced and less randomized. Also, this review applies to the PC version: I found the ports on iOS and handheld devices to be totally unplayable, and it seemed like they made almost no effort to adapt the UI of the game to the smaller screens.
8/10

I've been playing this on the Switch, and I figured I'd give a few comments about your take on it. I started my first game on the regular difficulty (not radiant). I've only had 1 death so far, and most of my squad (well 20 recruits) are around rank 4, so I'm not at the end of the game, but I have a feel for some of the comments I'll make. First, I don't find the game to be totally unplayable on the Switch (quite the opposite, I find it perfectly fine, docked and undocked, though undocked you do need to have a steady hand a good eye in some sections), but for me it's not an issue. The tutorial text is the worst at the start, but that goes away soon enough, there's hardly anything at all you need to read in the actual dungeons.

Maybe radiant is different, actually I think it is, but on the normal (middle, not easy) difficulty, you cannot use your higher level characters in the easy dungeons. So your level 0-2 characters can do the easy dungeons, your level 3-4 the medium, and your level 5-6 characters the hardest ones. So it sounds like that addresses some of your balance issues. I find the game very fun, and probably actually would score it similar to what you gave it myself, but just wanted to say I don't think it's totally unplayable on the handheld/iPad, myself anyway - but I've never played the PC version. :)

Rokal

Oct 25, 2017
I've been playing this on the Switch, and I figured I'd give a few comments about your take on it. I started my first game on the regular difficulty (not radiant). I've only had 1 death so far, and most of my squad (well 20 recruits) are around rank 4, so I'm not at the end of the game, but I have a feel for some of the comments I'll make. First, I don't find the game to be totally unplayable on the Switch (quite the opposite, I find it perfectly fine, docked and undocked, though undocked you do need to have a steady hand a good eye in some sections), but for me it's not an issue. The tutorial text is the worst at the start, but that goes away soon enough, there's hardly anything at all you need to read in the actual dungeons.

Maybe radiant is different, actually I think it is, but on the normal (middle, not easy) difficulty, you cannot use your higher level characters in the easy dungeons. So your level 0-2 characters can do the easy dungeons, your level 3-4 the medium, and your level 5-6 characters the hardest ones. So it sounds like that addresses some of your balance issues. I find the game very fun, and probably actually would score it similar to what you gave it myself, but just wanted to say I don't think it's totally unplayable on the handheld/iPad, myself anyway - but I've never played the PC version. :)

The difficulty restrictions for Easy & Medium are eased up a bit in Radiant. Characters level 0-4 may do Easy, and Level 5-6 characters are never locked out of Medium. So, medium does end up being a safer avenue to level and farm Town Upgrade materials, and the game never locks you out of it. I did end up doing some Hard missions for about half of the optional bosses, but it always felt like a huge unnecessary risk on Radiant Mode. The first Hard mission I tried which was simply for gear, with a max Rank team (who hadn't quite hit max gear or ability ranks) and was able to shred through Medium missions without much risk, lost 2 team members within the first few battles. Hard really punishes you for having a non-ideal team comp too, a pack of enemies that shuffles your party when you have moveset restrictions on a few of your chars can rip your group apart.

I should have clarified that I played it on PC, VITA, iOS, and PS4. So, I didn't end up seeing how it played in Switch, but thought it was much too small and clunky on VITA & iOS. I could see the switch version being perfectly fine docked though. The PS4 version is definitely playable, even if the UI is much easier to navigate on a PC.

Thanks for the response & impressions though, that's crazy that you made it so far on regular difficulty with only 1 death!

mrpookles

Oct 29, 2017
Main post.

March update. I'm not good at this...

6. XCOM: Enemy Within (PC) - Completed 14 Mar (5 hours) - ★★

I loved Enemy Unknown, but for whatever reason, EW didn't click with me. I'm sure it's good, but I'm just not feeling it. I'm giving up and putting it away.

Currently playing:

Horizon: Zero Dawn (PS4)
Company of Heroes 2 (PC)

Oct 26, 2017
Belarus
Main Post part 1

-------

31. Hide and Secret Treasure of the Ages - 0.5 hours
One of the shittiest HOGs i've ever played, it's really fascinating how low-effort and crappy this game is. "Gameplay" here is just random background with bunch of trash copypasted all over the screen, there is also nonsensical "story" as well, but it's not connected to HOG part in any way and being told in lazy comic style way. I was going to drop this game without finishing it, but it ended sooner than my patience run out, it took only 30 (!) minutes to reach the ending of this piece of crap. Avoid at all cost

chasingclouds

Jan 5, 2018
England, U.K.
Original Post:
https://www.resetera.com/posts/3027140/

Soooooo Monster Hunter World has ruined all my plans as I spent the last 3 months playing literally nothing else! 500 hours playtime and the platinum, and I still had to force myself to stop playing it! The spring festival starts up soon but hoping just jump in for the new content BRIEFLY!

I cleaned up the last few trophies from the AC Brotherhood remaster for the platinum, and I have the AC Origins Hidden Ones dlc to do, then I'm possibly going to start Far Cry 5.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Main post 1: https://www.resetera.com/posts/2784229/
Main post 2: https://www.resetera.com/posts/5234679/

40. Braveland Pirate / 9h10 - completed 04.04.18

header.jpg

A nifty but not very deep strategy game. You sail around between islands, defeating foes and acquiring treasure with which to upgrade your crew. The combat is a more simplistic King's Bounty but it's fun enough to carry the game through. The art style is alright but i didn't find the character design very appealing. And the main character just looks like any hard rock singer from the mid 2000's. Enjoyable in short doses.

Last edited:

Decarbia

Oct 25, 2017
Dragon-Ball-FighterZ-400x240.jpg

Game 13
Dragon Ball Fighterz, PS4
Completed the campaign. I've never been the biggest ASW fan, I'm really an SNK fangirl, but it is a fun fighter with a serviceable narrative. I like Android 21 a lot. The game is mostly hampered by

header.jpg

Game 14
Prey, PS4
Great, underrated game. It falls apart in the end, but until the last 20 percent of the game it is wonderful.

Game 15
Monster Hunter World, PS4
MonHun. But less so, with more QoL improvements. I didn't enjoy it as much as XX, but it is still a lot of fun.

Oct 26, 2017
Belarus
Main Post part 1

-------

32. Wolfenstein II: The Freedom Chronicles - Episode 2 - 2 hours
Well, second episode is not as abysmal as first one, i even liked it. Focusing on stealth mechanics is a nice change, especially because stealth was completely broken in main game and it was nice to play Wolfenstein, but with ability to sneak through whole level without fights. Variety of levels is also nice, and even story is not terrible and doesn't fall apart after first level, i hope we will see protagonist of this DLC in Wolfenstein 3 (if it will ever be released of course). My only problem with this DLC is length, it feels way too short, i think it's possible to finish it in 30 minutes if you won't care about looking for collectibles. But with good discount, i think this episode is worth getting it if you liked main game.

Loadout

Oct 26, 2017
Israel
★ = Platinum / 100%

Scores are my own. 5 = Mediocre; 6 = Fine; 7 = Good; 8 = Great; 9 = Amazing; 10 = Masterpiece.
Orange highlighted = All-time favorite

Clean List

- - - - - - -

1: Uncharted: Drakes Fortune | 3rd Jan ★
FH1Tc4Q.jpg

At last, after an entire gen of gaming on PC & Nintendo systems exclusively, I picked up a PS4 on December and couldn't be more satisfied with the library. I was (almost)literally swimming in games trying to find the time to play them all. I decided to play Uncharted first because I always wanted to play it since I never owned a PS3, and what a ride, but we'll get to it. As for Uncharted 1, I can't say it's a very good game but I did enjoy it and happy I didn't skip it. 6/10

2: Uncharted 2: Among Thieves | 5th Jan ★
a1JdeCs.jpg

One of the biggest leaps I've experienced in a game series, from a slightly above mediocre entry to one of the best action games of its time. 9/10

3: Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception | 7th Jan ★
Gqjb11J.jpg

This one eventually became my favorite entry (until I played the fourth installment) due to it being the most memorable one, to me at least. Although it isn't much of an improvement over its predecessor, it builds upon its strengths to create an even better experience. 9/10

4: Call of Duty: WWII | 11th Jan
LC1Ek9V.jpg

The campaign started good but lost it's pace not long after. The silly writing killed every opportunity for the story to be taken seriously. The multiplayer is solid enough and the zombies are boring as hell (which is the reason I never platinum'd it). 5/10

5: The Order: 1886 | 26th Jan ★
wI7bWkd.jpg

Very solid experience, good writing, good cinematics. Has a fair share of flaws. I would've probably been pissed if I picked it up at launch for full price due to it's short running time (took me about 6 hours to beat and 2 more to platinum) but I bought it on sale for like $5 so I'm good. 6/10

6: Bloodborne | 1st Feb ★
MF0VlU9.jpg

Probably the game I was mostly looking forward to playing on PS4, and boy did it deliver. The most beautiful and atmospheric out of all of Miyazaki's games. Immediately became my favorite PS4 game. But not for long. 9/10

7: Persona 5 | 8th Feb ★
iklHhfT.jpg

Not for long indeed, as I absolutely fell in love with this one. The only game in recent years (aside from Divinity Original Sin 2, my 2017 GOTY) to which I felt hooked. And I mean it, I just couldn't stop playing. I've seen people complaining about it's pacing and such, and there are issues with it, but I felt like most of the issues are present from the second quarter onward, at a point where the game already sucked you in hard enough and most of the drawbacks, if not all, are entirely forgivable, as long as the game stays thrilling as all hell, and it is. At least until the final act which I despised. An all-time favorite and probably my favorite JRPG of the gen. 9/10

8: Rime | 10th Feb ★
cxx1Rlt.jpg

The first PS Plus game I've beaten. Solid all around. Lovely visual design. Some very mundane sections and poorly designed puzzles, but it's not very long so I pulled through. Nice ending as well. 6/10

9: Uncharted 4: A Thief's End | 15th Feb ★
nLvayK9.jpg

Amazing. Great writing, superb presentation, best-in-series combat, good environmental variety, level design, and visuals. A masterfully crafted experience that just sucks you in through its entire course. The absolute best in the series, and probably one of the best action games of all-time. 9/10

10: Shadow of the Colossus | 19th Feb ★
3ngFP3N.jpg

Wow. Breathtakingly beautiful. Incredibly memorable journey with what's probably the greatest ending in gaming. What a ride. One of the best games I've ever played and I'm so glad Sony gave me the opportunity to experience it for the first time on a modern hardware. This is a one for the books. 10/10

11: Horizon Zero Dawn | 25th Feb ★
V3lXlIM.jpg

Great combat, well-designed world. Didn't really feel the story although I thought it was alright. Good game overall, good expansion as well. 7/10

12: The Last of Us | 27th Feb
Z24AlVs.jpg

Thrilling and captivating, an emotional rollercoaster. Amazing characters and story, great combat. Although I had the ending spoiled due to some overly talkative friends, still was an amazing experience. 9/10

13: Uncharted: The Lost Legacy | 1st Mar ★
0mp8HLq.jpg

Good game, not a lot to say aside from the fact I felt it was nowhere as good as 4, but still good nonetheless. 7/10

14: Ratchet & Clank | 10th Mar ★
FYFhsp0.jpg

Very enjoyable. Great combat, great visual design. Very poor story and characters (worth mentioning that I've never played R&C before), but the gameplay is king in this one. 7/10

15: Celeste | 19th Mar ★
ElbobdH.jpg

Not a fan of platformers but it's hard not to fall in love with this one. With its colorful vibes, amazing music and relatable, charming story and characters, it's hard for me to even call this a platformer at the end of the day, despite it being actually a great platformer in terms of mechanics and level design. 9/10

16: Fe | 23rd Mar ★
rkjmlOR.jpg

A nice attempt but not there. A tiresome game, not very fun. The visuals, while unique, leave a bad taste due to how terrible it is to navigate through the maps with every area looking overly similar. 4/10

17: Journey | March 25th ★
VyDR9fZ.jpg

Amazing emotional experience. Great presentation, puzzles, and visual design. Another one for the books. 9/10

18: Final Fantasy XV | 15th Mar
xFs7YAP.jpg

Not very good overall. I got used to its messy combat, but the poor pacing and mixed bag of a story are had to ignore. It had many good moments and the open world is enjoyable, but overall, I can't even say it surpassed XIII for me. 6/10

19: A Way Out | 29th Mar ★
wzo1Nvb.jpg

Another great experience and a very unique one indeed. Could've easily been a 9/10 if it wasn't for some cringey writing and a few padded, overly cheesy sections. I believe that Josef Fares can make something that will be remembered as an all-time great, but unfortunately this ain't the one. 8/10

20: Batman: The Telltale Series | 2nd April ★
lWaYOdn.jpg

A pretty bad game overall. I only played it due to it being free on PS Plus. Has a few good moments. Very few. 4/10

21: Batman: The Enemy Within | 4th April ★
Z3nzYl6.jpg

Yeah, I fell for it, after I beat the first one I saw this on sale and picked it up. Glad I did though, a major improvement over the first one, much more intuitive choices, better writing and more thrilling overall. 7/10

22: Far Cry 5 | 20th April
Bq4iiYK.jpg

The gunplay is alright but overall the gameplay is pretty bland and repetitive. The forced story sections have diminished my most enjoyable part of the game, which was just clowning around beating random objectives without paying attention to its uninteresting story. In the final third, I was already burned out of its world and forced myself to beat it. 5/10

23: Pokémon Ultra Moon | 27th April
nLDYJQM.jpg

It was fun, but still the weakest gen in my opinion, and this one didn't even try that much to fix anything. I'm still a sucker for Pokemon so I'm having a hard time scoring any one of them with less than a 6, so 6/10

24: Nioh | 4th May ★
3N3t7kb.jpg

So many mixed feelings with this one. I LOVED the combat, so satisfying and engaging, but aside from that, almost every other aspect of the game is either a mixed bag or just plain bad. Left me with a bitter taste overall. It's just shallow, uninspiring, unimaginative (for the most part) and has some very questionable design choices, the worst of which are the ones that encourage tedious grind (most notable in the DLC missions in which the level spike is extreme). I also found most of the side missions an insulting excuse of side content, it's literally telling the player to beat the same mission over and over again under different circumstance. Worth mentioning that I'm still very much looking forward to its sequel, because the foundation is there, and it's a terrific foundation, but they desperately need to improve their overall design. 6/10

25: Gravity Rush Remastered | 15th May ★
fbtGfkA.jpg

Took a few hours to jell but once it did I very much enjoyed it until the very end. 7/10

26: Red Dead Redemption | 22nd May
OYpDI50.jpg

Replayed it on PS Now after all those years to better prepare myself for the much hyped sequel, as it's probably my most anticipated game in years, and yep, can confirm it's still is the greatest Rockstar game to date, with GTA IV right behind it for similar reasons - story, characters, atmosphere, world design and gameplay. One of the bests of its time. 9/10

27: Ico | 25th May
iJrtOLa.jpg

I still had a few weeks left on my PS Now subscription so I thought it would be fitting to play Ico due to my love for SoTC. Although it's not as powerful, it's still a memorable journey. 8/10

28: Infamous | 4th June
czJJjxh.jpg

Another one I played on my PS Now adventures and yeah, my least favorite one. Didn't like the combat very much, feels too much of a random cluster-fuck and didn't have that much needed "super-hero" feel to it. The story is pretty good but the laughable, silly morale system almost ruined it entirely for me. 6/10

29: Salt & Sanctuary | 5th June ★
kBmVbyS.jpg

A fine love letter to Dark Souls and Metroid. A surprisingly good game with a few drawbacks. 7/10

30: Until Dawn | 6th June ★
t9bqHjt.jpg

Great story, probably one of the best interactive dramas I played. Felt like the story could've offered more and didn't explore enough the dark lore which was probably my favorite part of it. 8/10

31: Shaq Fu: A Legend Reborn | 09th June
ItSh7ko.jpg

Yeah, it's bad. But I got it for free on Switch and it's only a few hours long so I went for it. 3/10

32: Resident Evil HD Remaster | 26th June
HznvEKK.jpg

Great game, I don't know why I waited so long to play it but glad I finally got my taste of this acclaimed series. Can't wait for the upcoming remake. 8/10

33: Call of Duty: Black Ops III | 2nd July
sUFZpvI.jpg

The story is pretty bad, the levels are bland, but overall the campaign is enjoyable nonetheless mostly thanks to the co-op. The multiplayer is top 3 in the entire series in my opinion. And now for the platinum grind... This is going to take a while. 6/10

34: Thumper | 7th July ★
ilfkqIb.jpg

As a music lover, this has been quite an awesome experience for me. Very atmospheric, engaging and fun. Going for S ranks on all levels was probably one of my hardest feats in all my years of gaming. 8/10

35: Flower | 10th July ★
P5xUSSd.jpg

A good, relaxing game with a great visual design. An experiment gone right. 8/10

36: Heavy Rain | 18th July
glHFSoQ.jpg

It's pretty good. I liked the detective work the most. I honestly think the story is great but the writing is a mixed bag, has some cheap moments and a few unexplained plot holes that are immediately evident and hard to ignore. 7/10

37: Hitman Go: Definitive Edition | 23rd July ★
fwZ8ZFv.jpg

Pretty fun and creative puzzle game. I wish the entire game was based on actual Hitman missions because those were awesome. Still, it's a smartphone game I played on console environment so I'll give it a fair score. 6/10

38: No Man's Sky | 28th July
znF4mdX.jpg

I was debating whether to include NMS or not since it doesn't really have an ending (well, that depends if you consider reaching the center of the galaxy an ending) but decided to include it due to the amount of time I put into it. I have to say I'm quite impressed, I wanted to play it on launch since I adore exploration-based survival games, but because of the abysmal reception decided to skip it. And now, two years post-launch it seems that the game finally took shape so I gave it a go, and glad I did. Really liked it, very fun and addicting, but still, I felt like it could've used another layer of depth like Starbound did, with stuff like settlements, actual villages \ small cities and a verity of enemies including some boss fights. Also, it could've used a better combat (both ground and space). Still a good game nonetheless. 7/10

39: Lara Croft Go | 29th July ★
co66jpq.jpg

This one had more cool and creative ideas than Hitman Go with a better art direction, however, I feel like I enjoyed Hitman Go more, probably because of the more tactical and open-ended gameplay in comparison to Lara Croft Go, which felt more formulary (like there only one way to solve most stages). Still a fine game. 6/10

40: Octopath Traveler | 29th August
dNVDg7k.jpg

Good game. Extremely charming and well designed. The combat is fun enough to carry through the entire game. While it has a unique structure, I felt like that very structure ended up backfiring the experience as it feels like 8 different story DLCs mashed together into one base game, with none of those stories being exceptionally written nor memorable (well, except for Alphin's IMO). This made the overall experience feel lacking to me, like a missed opportunity to utilize its incredible art direction. It's a cool approach, but I would've preferred one good, memorable story over 8 average ones. 7/10

41: RUINER | 1st September
aMNjkzR.jpg

What a pleasant surprise. A very good game. Great art design, music, atmosphere. The story is odd just enough to remain cool and the combat is pretty much amazing - fluid, engaging and satisfying. 8/10

42: Human: Fall Flat | 11th September ★
Xx6n2YK.jpg

Hilarious, fun and charming game. Some stages are better than others. Should be played with friends. 7/10

43: Watch Dogs 2 | 24th September
BHVtKao.jpg

I actually bought it at launch, dunno why I waited so long but finally got around to play it. Well, it's a Ubisoft game, which means it has a vast, beautiful open world with generally good mechanics but very little good content to back it up. The story is average at most, the characters are uninteresting and the game severely lacks in memorable moments overall. I'd even go as far as saying that the first Watch Dogs was more memorable due to its unique settings and cool atmosphere. Watch Dogs 2 a very fun game, but it has very little to offer in order to push it above average, so for me, it's just that, an average game. 5/10

44: The Division | 6th October
QANhWrh.jpg

Almost everything I've said about Watch Dogs 2 is applicable here as well, only that in this one the gameplay is basically crap, it's just a bullet sponge hell with an overly repetitive mission structure. Good thing this is a multiplayer game because I would've never beat it solo, just so tiresome, but fun enough to keep us busy. It became a tradition for me to pick up Ubisoft games on a major sale, so I guess Assassin's Creed Origins / Odyssey is next. 4/10

45: Divinity: Original Sin 2 - Definitive Edition | 12th October ★
pTGpAd3.jpg

When I first played DOS2 on PC it quickly became one of my favorite games of all time, experiencing it again a year later on PS4 felt just as magical. The Definitive Edition further improves on what had already been a near-perfect game in my eyes, a masterclass of an RPG and masterpiece of video-game design. 10/10

46: Marvel's Spider-Man | 19th October ★
eVkEyz6.jpg

The main story is great overall, the story is okay, the pacing is mostly good and the production value is as high as you'd expect from a big Sony game, and the gameplay is mechanically is superb, fast and fluid and stays addictive for the most part. But, unfortunately, I have some gripes with it. I felt like some of the villains could've been handled better. most of the side content is just bland and repetitive, feels like the usual, overly familiar open-world filler content I usually see in Ubisoft games, it's unfortunate. 7/10

47: Red Dead Redemption 2 | 5th November ★
LhQ1blZ.jpg

There it is, I finally got to put my hands on it, my most anticipated game of the generation, and I'm very proud to say that it's also probably the best game I've played in the entire generation. RDR2 not only managed to overcome the absurd expectation I had of it but also serves as a benchmark for video game design in general, as it challenges the player's expectations over and over again, and redefines the boundaries of video game immersion. It tells a wonderful tale executed with grace, an amazing cast of characters each backed with top-notch voice acting. The world is breathing with life with unmatched detail, everything seems to have a meaning and depth. While it's not all great, as the gameplay is just solid at most, the story might just drag a bit too long and some of the side content is way too time-consuming (such as the challenges), I still feel like it's serviceable enough for you to immerse yourself this twisted, wondrous, lifetime of an experience, just don't try to 100% it like I did, because it will leave you with a bad taste. 9/10

48: Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 | 15th November
TkxKBkY.jpg

While the absence of my beloved annual COD singleplayer campaign is disappointing, it's also a major source of criticism when I look back and rate my experience with the game. The fact that this one skipped the campaign just made the package much more solid all around. Multiplayer and Zombies are just what you would expect from COD with a good amount of polish and some exciting new additions. My highlight is obviously the new Blackout mode, extremely thrilling and satisfying, I didn't enjoy a COD multiplayer that much since MW2, it's so well executed, the battle-royale experience I was waiting for since I quit PUBG due to how lackluster it is. 7/10

49: Diablo III | 22nd November
TYF3WEb.jpg

The gameplay is incredibly addicting but I felt like the writing and atmosphere is quite lacking. I only played Diablo 1 and it was one of the most atmospheric games I played back in the day, it's dark theme was incredible and every piece of lore felt significant. Well, I guess that this wasn't ever the main focus of the series, nor what the fans really expected from their Diablo experience. Still, Diablo 3 is a highly enjoyable game. 7/10

50: Pokémon Let's Go Eevee | 16th December
5PTmOHP.jpg

"One step forward, two steps back", It's probably been said many times but I can't really stress this enough. Disappointing, not that I expected much, but still, it's the first mainline Pokemon to be marketed at $60 and it's heavily lacking in comparison to previous installments. The slick visuals fail to impress me when it seems that Game Freak doesn't even care about fixing the problems that have been haunting the series since its inception, as the pacing is still a slog even on powerful hardware. Both control methods are fundamentally flawed, their choice to make the game playable with 2 buttons and a stick just makes it feel bad, and that's without mentioning the forced motion controls. The game is still fun overall, but not something I would come back to, and I always replay main Pokemon games. Hoping the next one will do the series justice. 5/10

51: God of War | 16th December ★
dXO6ban.jpg

Incredible. Breathtaking. I never liked God of War, but saying that this one is different would be putting it lightly. What an awesome experience. Amazing combat, great pacing, good gameplay diversity, beautiful world that is a joy to explore and insane direction and production. The only shortcomings are the lack of enemy variety and it could've used more meaningful side content instead of some of the grind, but still, superb game. 9/10

52: Gravity Rush 2 | 22nd December ★
vyvFYFh.jpg

Disappointed. I had high expectation as I really liked the first one, but it feels like Gravity Rush 2 is completely disconnected from whatever made the first one so fun and addicting. The game is infested with mind-bogglingly unfun missions and objectives "Do it the game's designated way or don't do it at all". The stealth segments are absolute trash, most of the side missions are bad, and the game desperately needs a better story. The characters are cute and funny but feel hollow due to the lackluster narrative. I really expected Gravity Rush 2 to break the boundaries of its portability and build upon the fantastic fundamentals of the first game and create a more impressive, fun experience, with a properly developed cast of characters and engaging story, but instead, this just feels like a massive step backward in terms of game design. 5/10

53: Overcooked! 2 | 29th December ★
pLqaVnL.jpg

Fun little Co-Op game. Had a blast playing it with friends. 7/10

- - - - - - -

Done! It has been one hell of a year for me. Unfortunately, next year is going to be much more tight for me so I'm probably not going to make it to 53, but I'm still up for the challenge. I would've probably made it to 60+ games if I wasn't trying to platinum almost each one, but I didn't realize how much fun and satisfying trophy hunting actually is haha.

- - - - - - -

Public profiles: PSN | Steam

Last edited:

JarrodL

Oct 27, 2017
Games 1-4
Games 5-9
Games 10-13
Games 14-17

Games 18-22:

Steins;Gate

PC
Completed: March 25, 2018
Playtime: 49h 22m
A great VN which had me thinking about its world and characters for a good while after finishing it. The story has its low points, but is very powerful in how it progresses from light-hearted and cheesy tone to sad and heart-wrenching. The mechanic of interacting with your phone to exchange messages and branch the story was interesting. Japanese voice actors do an excellent job, especially Okabe's - the emotional range of his lines is amazing. I like the art style, and the music is very good. I didn't want my time with this game to end. May revisit this to replay through the true ending path when SG Elite comes around (never watched the anime).

Sunset Overdrive: The Mystery of Mooil Rig
Sunset Overdrive: Dawn of the Rise of the Fallen Machines

XB1
Completed: March 27, 2018
Total playtime: 4h 06m
Two short (around 2 hours each) pieces of DLC. Each adds a new location with a bunch of new enemies and weapons, and a brief mission chain culminating in a cool boss fight. It was entertaining I guess, but nothing essential.

Bayonetta

PC
Completed: April 01, 2018
Playtime: 14h 52m
Awesome action game with very stylish and flashy visuals, and great combo-based challenging combat gameplay. I loved the design and animations in it - they are very impressive for both Bayonetta and most enemies. The secondary characters could stand to be more interesting/memorable and the story less confusing, but it's at least better than Vanquish, the last Platinum Games title I played.

Firewatch

PC
Completed: April 02, 2018
Playtime: 5h 21m
Enjoyed playing through the story. The game's well crafted and apparently has tons of variations in possible dialog lines and conversations topics you have with D via the radio. The plot took some unexpected twists and turns, but I really liked how it wraps up in the end - felt like a retelling of events that could have actually taken place at some point.

Persona 4: Arena

PS3
Completed: April 04, 2018
Playtime: 27h 15m
As a fighting game, it was hard to really get into because for the life of me I couldn't reliably execute most special moves with a PS3 controller's d-pad, and winning matches via button mashing did not feel satisfying. As a visual novel in story mode, it was a bit boring and predictable, and very repetitive when playing multiple character arcs - the whole school/fighting segment follows mostly the same pattern for different characters. I liked Labrys and Elizabeth stories the most.

Currently playing:

Divinity: Original Sin (PC)
Drakengard 2 (PS2)
Wolfenstein: The New Order (PC)
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty (PS3)
Persona 4: Dancing All Night (Vita)

ORENCH

Mar 28, 2018
I wanna join. I knew that I won't be able to complete 52 games this year but I will still give it a shot.

Online Multiplayer Games (that's taking lots of my time :c)
1) Splatoon 2
2) Morphies Law
3) Overcooked 2

JANUARY
(0 games)

FEBRUARY (0 games)

MARCH (4 games)

Game 1: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (26-Nov-2017 to 13-Mar-2018)
Platform: Nintendo Switch
38409.jpg

Game 2: INSIDE (18-Mar-2018 to 18-Mar-2018)
Platform: PC
insidebanner.jpg

Game 3: Gone Home (29-Mar-2018 to 30-Mar-2018)
15_gone-home.jpg

Game 4: Little Nightmares (30-Mar-2018 to 30-Mar-2018)
LNHeader.jpg

APRIL
(2 games)

Game 5: Shank (11-Apr-2018 to 11-Apr-2018)
1402359-169_shank_e32010_trailer_mul_061110_2000_14.jpg

Game 6: Kamiko (15-Apr-2018 to 15-Apr-2018) - 3 playthroughs
H2x1_NSwitchDS_Kamiko_image1600w.jpg

Game 7: BOTW: Trial of the Sword DLC
(31-Mar-2018 to 22-Apr-2018)

MAY (1 game)

Game 8: Splatoon 2 (25-Mar-2018 to 30-May-2018)

JUNE (3 games)

Game 9: BOTW: The Champions' Ballad DLC
Game 10: Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright
Platform: Nintendo 3DS
Game 11: Minesweeper
Platform: iPhone

JULY (4 games)

Game 12: Voez
Platform: iPhone
Game 13: Splatoon 2: Octo Expansion
Game 14: Splatoon
Platform: Nintendo Wii U
Game 15: Rhythm Heaven Megamix
Platform: Nintendo 3DS

AUGUST (0 games)

SEPTEMBER (2 games)

Game 16: Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle
Game 17: Bulb Boy

OCTOBER (1 game)

Game 18: The Last Of Us: Left Behind
Platform: Playstation 4 Pro

2017 (32 games)
2016 (40 games)

Last edited:

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I just want to say that this challenge has done wonders for my backlog. Games I'd left unfinished for a long time are finally getting finished.

Main Post

Another 10 games coming.

11: Danganronpa V3: Killing Harmony

Everybody Loves Monokuma! Now with game breaking bugs that make it difficult to get through the early game!

12: StarTropics II

Still a really good game. Still shouldn't have been on the NES at that point in time.

13: Kirby Star Allies

Short, but still quite fun. The Kirby formula could use some shaking up, though.

14: The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons

'Tis the season to play more Zelda games.

15: Super Mario Bros: The Lost Levels

More of a pain than I remember it being.

16: The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages

Time travel in a Zelda game worked before. So why not?

17: Breath of Fire

Capcom's other Ryu, except this game was handled by Square in the US.

18: Punch-Out!! Featuring Mr. Dream

I don't think I ever actually beat the final boss before.

19: Tiny Toon Adventures: Buster Busts Loose!

Actually a pretty damned good licensed game from back in the early 1990s.

20: Donkey Kong Country

Still a pretty damned good platformer. A little more unforgiving in certain parts than I remember.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
header.jpg

Game #43 - Assassin's Creed Origins The Curse of the Pharaohs
Time: 17 hours

And we close out my AC Origins saga with what was, in my opinion, the best DLC I have ever played (jsut a note, I havent played the Witcher 3 DLCs, arguably considered the best DLCs ever). This is everything that Hidden Ones wasnt, it expands on Origins by giving you a new landmass (much bigger than the one in Hidden Ones) but taking the story in a completely different and new direction, including a supernatural theme which really helps differenciate it from the main game. Story is great and the places it takes you, in particular 4 specific zones which are among the best, if not the best in the entire game including the main game, make this a complete must buy and must play for Origins owners (where Hidden Ones was fine but only if you really wanted more AC, I wouldnt consider it must play). This is what all DLCs should be, and I would gladly pay full price for it (even tho I didnt lol), just fantastic overall.

Main Post

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
33. Ni no Kuni 2
header.jpg

Clocked at around 30 Hours having completed a good chunk of side quests. An overall OK game with various flaws that makes the game seem more Style over Subsistence. Thing is I don't mind Style over Subsistence games and I enjoyed it for the most part.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
Another day, another backlog update.

#24 Uncharted: The Lost Legacy – Completed 3/27/18
#25 Rez: Infinite – Completed 4/2/18
#26 AM2R – Completed 4/6/18
#27 BoxBoxBoy – Completed 4/7/18
#28 Lara Croft GO – Completed 4/7/18

Uncharted: The Lost Legacy - Got this when it was on sale for $20, finally ended up finishing it. It's shorter than the other Uncharted's, but it was good. I was gonna keep it around for the UC4 multiplayer, but honestly I've got too many multiplayer games as it is. I'll probably throw it on the BST.

Rez: Infinite - Played this on PSVR, wow. I tempered my expectations for the first game in VR, since it obviously wasn't originally designed for it, but with how some bosses had me really turning my head around to hit them - even the base game felt great. I cried playing Area X. If you have a VR headset and haven't played this, fix that.

AM2R - I picked up Samus Returns recently (another one for the backlog, heh), and I decided it might be interesting to compare the two Metroid II remakes. I really enjoyed this one, can't wait to check out the official remake!

BoxBoxBoy - This was fun, but a bit of a disappointment coming so close to my playthrough of the first BoxBoy. Besides for the "two boxes" gimmick, it felt like there wasn't anything new. Maybe the 3rd one will resonate better with me?

Lara Croft GO - Got this with the Humble Monthly, still felt like I was in a bit of a puzzle game mood so I tore through it in a single sitting. I think I'm good with puzzlers for a while.

Last edited:

Deleted member 32615

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Update: April 8th, 2018
273eb43b-3f7b-4efd-bff9-a9807ea6a248._SR970,300_.jpg

12. A Way Out (PS4) (Around 9 Hours) (3/5)
As someone who hadn't played Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons, I had some weird interest in this game due to the more grounded nature. A prison escape game sounded right up my alley and when I got one of my friends on board, I was very excited. The game has some amazing moments, and the game knows when it's doing something cool. One big comparison for this game has to be Uncharted, and at times it feels like I am playing a smaller, grounded, co-op version of the Uncharted series. The game has a lot of technical issues, whether it's something small like a floating cigarette or an ending cutscene lagging too much for the PS4 to handle. The story is, interesting? It never accomplishes anything huge until the end, and because the main game story isn't anything crazy it makes the ending work so much better than it should. The voice actors suck, their performances are bad and feel very cheesy, but for Leo, it works and it feels like he is a genuine dumb criminal. The shooting in the second half of the game works wonders, and is the highlight of the second half for me, and it's extremely highlighted in the ending scene of the game.

A Way Out is a weird game to talk about in a small paragraph like this cause there's a lot to say, but I think I've got the main points down. It's not amazing and it's not terrible, it held my interest and was very fun at points. A weird second half where you go to Mexico for about 30 minutes with an amazing ending sums up the game's inconsistency.

Original Post

DontBlink

Oct 25, 2017
Original post

February update - 8/52 games completed

February always seems to be a slog for me and this year was no different. Only two games to add to the total and not much else to show in terms of progress.

q9HKXNq.jpg

7. God of War HD (PS3) - 9:19
I never had much interest in the God of War series, but finally decided to give it a try in anticipation of the new game coming out. Understandably, the first entry does show its age, but I appreciated the cinematic presentation throughout the journey. While that was quite impressive, the camera movement was also the number one enemy - there were multiple times where I could not see the enemies around me, because they were either off-screen or behind some object. The combo system was very robust and surprised me with the amount of different combinations, but fighting the same types and version of monsters got repetitive quickly. Especially bad was the fact that you could not interrupt enemy attacks, but they could easily do that to yours. The couple of boss fights were a nice diversion from the monotony, however. Other low points include the bland story and terrible wall-climbing and rope-crossing segments.

lehZEto.jpg

8. Astebreed (PC) - 1:35
This was definitely a quick filler game. Haven't played too many bullet hell shooters in recent times, but I just sort of blew through this. The chaos on screen was slightly too confusing for me, so at points I wasn't even sure what I'm shooting at or what's actually on screen. The annoying story bits and dialogue between characters made it even worse. I tried to pay attention to them at the beginning, but the story proved so pointless and distracting that I completely blocked it out. The action does vary between sections, with you piloting different types of vehicles, but honestly all I remember was spamming the shoot key and getting end credits.

Last edited:

rahji

Oct 25, 2017
6. Star Fox 64 3D Finished at 4/08/2018 Time: 3 hours

It is still as good as the original with lots of cool shoot em up elements. The first thing I immediately noticed was the massive upgrade in graphics. Everything looks so gorgeous. I beat it 2 times, one time with the easy route, one time with the hard route with 1.2 k kills. Awesome game.

Spyware

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
I have a "problem". A very first world one. English is not my first language and I find myself having problems with these posts due to the fact that my vocabulary not being very extensive. I play so many great games that I have started to sound like a broken record. Every game is amazing, great, terrific and so on. I seem to just write pretty much the same things. Ohwell. I think I mind that more than you do, perhaps, so I'll just keep trying to at least get some thoughts down.

m5dR2b2.png

Game #63: J.U.L.I.A.: Among the Stars
Started 31 Mar. 2018 - Beaten 1 Apr. 2018
Verdict: Impressed with the gameplay, let down by the story.

If this game had a better story I would only have positive things to say about it. I can't really say what I disliked about the story because that would be a bit too spoilery, but it isn't that bad. Maybe I am just nit-picky. A lot of parts still made me very intrigued and I had a good time. The point-and-click gameplay is great, with the game pointing out points of interest and the handy map telling you what you're actually looking at. I wish more games had that! The puzzles were mostly enjoyable too. I have not marked this as completed since I still haver to grab the "standalone" puzzle DLC to get all the achievements and some more backstory or something. The game wasn't exactly what I expected, but I really liked what it was.​

Vok8HqK.png

Game #64: LaserCat
Started 1 Apr. 2018 - Completed 1 Apr. 2018
Verdict: Pure joy.

A terrific little 2D-platformer where you have to explore a maze-like castle with 225 rooms to find the 30 keys needed to set your friend free. I love that you can explore the place freely and also teleport between the many checkpoints. This means no annoying backtracking and that you can hop around between different checkpoint to try to get into rooms from another direction. The game is easy, both the platforming where you have to avoid different hazards and the trivia questions you have to answer when you grab the keys. But that just means that the game is completely free of frustration and just a blast to spend around an hour with. The humorous cat ghosts are a huge plus.​

VeFhOwI.png

Game #65: Kathy Rain
Started 2 Apr. 2018 - Completed 2 Apr. 2018
Verdict: Top-notch hint "system" in a very fine point and click.

I am a huge fan of the Blackwell series and this one reminds me a bit of that. I liked the protagonist and really enjoyed the beginning of the story. I didn't like the second half of the game quite as much and some parts felt a little underused. It's a little annoying that you can't make the character run or double click to jump directly to the scene transition, so sometimes it feels a little slow. But now I sound negative again. It's a cool game! I was intrigued all the way through. I really loved how smoothly Kathy herself gave hints about what to do when you might get a little bit stuck, while not making it too easy to figure stuff out.​

sTDNgFC.png

Game #66: Little Nightmares
Started 2 Apr. 2018 - Completed 3 Apr. 2018
Verdict: Totally lived up to the expectations.

Wow. I very rarely have expectations. I don't think hype is a good thing. I like just going in blind and take stuff for what it is. But I have followed Tarsier Studios since the unveiling of The City of Metronome (being absolutely crushed when the game wasn't released), and Little Nightmares reminded me of that game. I have not played it earlier due to me being scared it wouldn't live up to my unusual expectations. But it did! And in some ways I am very happy that I waited because now I got to play the complete story all at once. The DLC were not as good as the stellar main game but very important to the story. I loved my time with this immensely. The graphics, the sound, the gameplay, the story, everything just resonated perfectly with me.​

tbIhIQe.png

Game #67: The Magic Circle
Started 2 Apr. 2018 - Completed 3 Apr. 2018
Verdict: Funny but a bit of a (intentional) mess.

I guess you have to expect an "unfinished" game to be messy, and it sorta owns it but not all the way. The meta story of the game works fine, even if it's very confusing. Playing and messing with what is supposed to be a game stuck in development hell is a cool idea. Sadly, the collectibles are a pain and as a completionist this ruins the game a bit for me. For example: Instead of asking the player to "hack" one of each creature type, you have to "hack" all the creatures. Finding all of them is just boring. At least the other collectibles, like audio and text logs are fun to gather and listen to/read.​

CztbmEw.png

Game #68: Narcosis
Started 8 Apr. 2018 - Completed 8 Apr. 2018
Verdict: Outstanding horror game.

What is it with all these incredible really dark games I am playing!? Well, add one more to the pile because this is top-notch. This game really go all out on the idea of tasteful jump scares. No loud bangs, screech noises, loud screams or whatever some devs use to really surprise the player (and totally make the jump "scare" startling but not scary), just pure horror. Loved the setting and... pretty much everything about this game. Not gonna say anything for fear of spoiling it even a little. Just play it.​

_

Master Post!

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017
09. Subnautica (Steam, 2018/03/27, 47 hours)

You crash land on an aquatic planet, manage to survive, learn what stranded you there and how to deal with the given situation. I enjoyed pretty much everything about this open world, mystery, survival adventure. The pacing between moments of urgency and slow burning exploration was perfect. The drip feed of information and resulting abilities provided a constant feeling of progression. The whole experience was amazingly satisfying. I've had a few proper The Martian, shit potato, moments and managed to engineer myself out of the deepest (self-dugged) holes. The designs, presentation, ambience, soundtrack and gameplay, everything is top notch. Minor annoyance was the micro stutter when traversing the world. This was especially noticeable when transitioning between biomes, although improved once in a specific ecosystem.

10. Bezier (Steam, 2018/03/31, 1.5 hours)

This twinstick shooter asks you to juggle a fair bit more than just enemy waves. The stages have fixed objectives, which require your attention before a timer runs out, else you'll earn an instant Game Over. It's all very manageable though. There's also a rogue lite element of persistent unlocks. These should help people, who struggle, to beat the game. The action is fun and not too crazy. The menus could use some polish, but the in-game presentation is very cool, full of bézier curves and genre compliant particle effects. Bezier even sports some sort of story, which I wasn't able to fully follow in the heat of the action.

11. Knack (PS4, 2018/04/04, little less than two DS4 charges)

My least favorite PS4 title so far. The game was dull, yet so infuriating. You get funneled through a series of sterile kill rooms, beat up the enemies, get one hit killed, reset back 3-4 kill rooms earlier, rinse&repeat until you'll make the next checkpoint. The cam isn't player controlled and got me killed many times by stuff coming off frame. The combat with its strange pauses had zero flow. I don't mind hard games, but much of Knack was just unfair and punishing for no reason. The presentation was generic, soulless and the soundtrack a constant loop of elevator music. The story and characters as uninteresting as the rest of the experience. My only enjoyment came from brief moments of rampage and the accompanying physics.

12. Pumped BMX + (PS4, 2018/04/08, one DS4 charge)

Tricks, rails, trail and error are the name of the game. You have to clear challenges to unlock more tracks and said tracks come with more challenges and higher difficulty. The player needs to perform certain tricks, combos or top specific scores. It's all gameplay, skills and lots of physics. Building, maintaining the correct level of momentum while still pulling off tricks is very satisfying and fun. "Finishing" all levels is quickly done, but doing all challenges will take ages. Definitely a nice little gem to revisit every now and then.

[index]

Oct 27, 2017
Main Post

19. The Room - iPad
Completed 4/4/18
Score - 8/10

Went on a vacation with my wife and she mentioned playing a game on her iPad. Due to this thread... I immediately thought of The Room series that people talk about. I figured we could both download it and play. I loved it. I have had an iPad for years but never really used it for games (still not big on the touch screen games). I really loved the puzzles and how it gets you to figure out the puzzle slowly over time. I have no idea what happened in regards to the story, but I will definitely get Room 2 in the near future. Fun puzzler!

halloween-games-puzzles.jpg

20. Mega Man 10 - PS4
Completed 4/5/18
Score - 7/10

This was fun and still much better than 7/8 but it was definitely on the simple side. Maybe the creative juices were used up on 9. There were a few frustrating points but overall I found this game really easy. Maybe the easiest out of all 10 Mega Man games. Looking forward to playing the X/Zero and other side games soon. Since Mighty No 9 was free on plus...I might knock that out too.

mm10_ps3_a.gif

21. Resident Evil 6 - PS4
Completed 4/7/18
Score - 6/10

Meh. This was not an easy one to get through. I have read all the opinions on this one over the years but still felt 'how bad could it be', and yeah... this was rough. I played Leon - Sherry - Chris and then Ada. I thought Leon was ok but way too long. Sherry was maybe my favorite (which shocked me). Chris was like a shitty action movie. I HATED the Ada chapter. It was such a pain and I just wanted it to end. I know people say this was the best controlling RE but I never felt that. Once I got into RE 4 and 5 I felt their controls were much better. I found this game to be all over the place. I doubt I would ever replay this one and outside of Operation Raccoon City...easily my least favorite RE. I only have Rev 2, Darkside Chronicles and then 7 left. 7 feels like it will be the icing on the cake for playing all the RE games, I just hope I enjoy it as much as everyone else seems to.

RE6-Playground-N-For-Nerds.gif

hersheyfan

Oct 25, 2017
Manila, Philippines
GAMES 1-25

Link to master post:
52 Games. 1 Year. 2018.

1. Oxenfree - NSW
★★★
Beaten 1/3/18
Over 4 hours
Another Switch double dip, owned this on Steam forever but decided to take the plunge as they were selling it for 5 bucks. It's a fun game... very natural conversations, some branching paths, and some genuinely creepy moments. That ending (the one I got, anyway) was also fantastic. All that said, however, I'd suggest picking up the PC release instead. The NSW version's load times are awful.

2. Shock Troopers 2nd Squad - PC

Beaten 1/5/18
70 minutes
I am so glad I didn't pick up the Switch version of this. I love the hell out of the first Shock Troopers (played it a lot as a kid, enjoy it more than Metal Slug), and this... abomination does not deserve to share the name. Terrible pseudo-3D sprites, cheap quick death gameplay, and a generally loose feeling control scheme all combined for the worst retro game I've played in years. As an added bonus, it has some terrible stuttering. Avoid at all costs.

3. Doki Doki Literature Club - PC

Beaten 1/5/18
3.2 hours, per Steam
You probably already know that DDLC isn't what it appears to be on the surface. I don't think it's quite as great as some people say it is (I've played my share of visual novels, and I've seen more effective twists), but it was definitely a fun time. This game was a hell of a ride, pulls no punches.

Besides, it's free. What have you got to lose? I'm definitely keeping a close watch for Team Salvato's future games.

4. Contradiction - PC

Beaten 1/6/18
6.4 hours, per Steam (100% achievements)
I finally got around to playing this SteamGAF darling... and I have to say, I don't really see what the fuss was about. Some of the acting was enjoyably hammy yes, but the plot wasn't much good, the contradictions weren't particularly satisfying, and there are a shitload of unskippable FMV segues between different rooms/areas that really get on your nerves after a while (especially while you're walking around trying your new conversation item on everyone in the flipping town). I had a decent amount of fun, but I wish I hadn't bought it if I'm being honest.

5. Dodonpachi Resurrection - PC

Beaten 1/7/18
2.2 hours, per Steam
"Beaten" is such a strong word... cleared, passed, got by, those sound more appropriate for Dodonpachi. This was my first time playing it, and it was so much harder than Deathsmiles and (my current favorite) Mushihimesama its not even funny. Some of the areas are so ridiculously hard that they beat you into submission. That said, you can see the craft that went into making this - it's still an excellent game, but way, way above my capacity.

6. Tekken 7 - PC

Beaten 1/7/18
8.3 hours, per Steam
The PC port of Tekken 7 is an excellent game. I admit not having liked the arcade version much when I played it back in the day, but they've added a wealth of content to the home version that makes it well worth playing for lapsed players like myself. Nitpicks: The main story mode's difficulty is extremely uneven, and the way the focus shifts so much between characters basically requires your competence at a variety of different playstyles; there's also some pretty mean difficulty spikes in there. The individual character "stories", on the other hand, are so short they're inconsequential. You also need to fiddle with the visual settings a bit to avoid characters looking "shiny". Still, there's plenty to love here if you haven't played Tekken in a while.

7. They Breathe - PC

Beaten 1/7/18
21 minutes, per Steam
Rock, Paper, Shotgun's description of this game is very apt: it's an entire game based around that section in every Sonic game where you're underwater and you need to breathe in air bubbles to live. Except you're a frog, and you do zero jumping, and it's all very very weird. It's short and inoffensive (is it a student game? I don't know), but the deeper meaning/metaphor they were trying for here, if there was one, was lost on me.

8. Gunbird - NSW

Beaten 1/7/18 (4x)
Over 2 hours
I have a soft spot for Gunbird, having played it back in the day on my cousin's Sega Saturn. It still holds up very well - it doesn't evoke the true bullet hell lunacy of a Cave shmup, but it's well balanced and enjoyable. Nice retro character design, clear sprite work, fun bullet patterns. Solid buy for the Switch!

9. A Normal Lost Phone - PC

Beaten 1/26/18
76 minutes, per Steam
Grabbed this off of its inclusion in Polygon's GotY list. Being a story based game, I can't really say all tha much without spoiling everyhing. It was actually pretty good, if not really up to the standard they had set for it in my mind. The ending is pretty well telegraphed, but it was all about the journey here, not necessarily the destination.

10. Rive - PC

Beaten 1/27/18
5.6 hours, per Steam
Seeing the Switch release (and learning that it was Two Tribes' last game) pushed me to dust this off... I've apparently had it on Steam for a pretty long time. The game is a whimsical mix of platformer and shooter, and contains some really entertaining set pieces, great boss battles too. That said, it was beginning to wear out its welcome near the end. The main character/narrator also has a really grating personality, which didn't help. Lastly, the open ended sequel tease at the end is bittersweet - I think they could have done a lot more with a sequel had they continued making one.

11. Wolfenstein: The New Order - PS4
★★★
Beaten 2/10/18
Around 14 hours
Will wonders never cease? I actually beat a PS4 game, its been so long! Grabbing Shadow of the Colossus and Fighter Z gave me the motivation to clean up some half finished stuff.

I really enjoyed New Order - it held up well graphically despite being a few years old when I returned to it. It also has that guns blazing feel of the old 90's shooters, where you don't solve your problems by solving some goddamn puzzle, but using large guns to fill the opposition with lead. There were some parts where the signposting could have been better, but overall this was wonderful. On to The Old Blood!

12. NBA Playgrounds - NSW
★★
Beaten 2/24/18
Over 4 hours
I bought NBA Playgrounds at launch, jonesing for a portable basketball game. It didnt scratch that itch, a craving that was only satisfied later by NBA 2K18. I finally forced myself to beat all the tournaments today so I could delete the game from my Switch (I'm running out of space). While I appreciate that they patched up the previously nasty AI (it was way too cheap), the dunk mechanics are still broken as hell, and the gacha system for pulling players is annoying. The whole game I just wanted to play as Nowitzki, but they just refused to let him drop.

13. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 - NSW
★★
Beaten 2/25/18
Over 115 hours
Oh my fucking God! This game! Hnnngh!

It has one of the most insipid unlock systems I've ever seen in a JRPG, which is saying something.

There are too many systems for its own good, both in battle and outside of it.

The blade design is incredibly inconsistent, and some of the side quest design is outlandishly tedious.

And despite all of that, its still one of the greatest RPG's I ever played in my life - top 5, easy. That sense of exploration! That music! That incredible world building! I've never been so sad to see a game end since I Platinumed Persona 4 Golden. Amazing work by Monolith Soft.

14. Vostok Inc. - NSW
★★
Beaten 3/9/18
Over 35 hours

Vostok Inc. is a strange hybrid of the twinstick shooter and the clicker genre (like Adventure Capitalist on iOS). And.... it works? I did play it for over 35 hours according to Switch OS. It does run out of Steam towards the end though... i beat the final boss, saw the Congratulations screen, and promptly lost all motivation to continue grinding the empire upwards. It's great fun while it lasts though.

15. Bayonetta - NSW
★★
Beaten 3/11/18
8 hours, 50 minutes (1pt)

Blew through Bayonetta 1 on NSW just to relearn how to play and get back in the swing of things... I platinumed the PS3 version back in the day but its been so long I needed a tuneup.

Performance is great, and its very playable on the joycons. Some parts notably havent held up well (the rail shooter sections are atrocious), but many scenes still hold up as stone cold action genre classics. Now its on to the sequel for me, which I will be playing for the very first time. Hype!

16. Mirror's Edge Catalyst - PC

Beaten 3/11/18
13 hours, per Origin

This game was absolutely atrocious, and a terrible successor to the original Mirror's Edge. It has some exhilarating moments, but the amount of downtime introduced by its boring open world and repetitive side missions. There's also an excessive overuse of combat, which is unfortunately not the game's strong point. I got it on a deep discount off some Origin sale but still feel cheated, to be honest I powered my way through it to clear some space on my hard drive (and to add a game to this list, natch).

17. Little Inferno - NSW
★★
Beaten 3/16/18
4 hours, 59 minutes (1pt)

A game about the simple joy of setting stuff on fire. Really LTTP on this, I know (owned it on Steam forever) but I enjoyed it for what it was. Me and the wife enjoyed figuring out what the combos were together, and the game's milieu is pleasingly dark. Gets old near the end, but still solid overall.

18. Stein's Gate 0 - PSV
★★
Beaten 3/17/18
19 hours, 45 minutes (Platinum)

This is actually my second attempt at SG0, as my first run at it several years ago got hosed by the infamous patch bug that corrupted all your save data. Made it all the way through this time - I gotta say, I didnt enjoy this as much as the first game. However, since its pretty much a direct continuation of SG1's story, this remains required reading for anybody with even a passing appreciation of the first installment.

Also, firing up the Vita after using the Switch for so long felt weird - it sits funny in the hand, which is a really weird thing to say about one of my favorite systems ever.

19. Frederic: Resurrection of Music - NSW

Beaten 3/17/18
36 minutes (1pt)

I bought this game and its sequel off an eShop sale sight unseen. They were cheap, and any game with a sequel surely is at least fairly decent... right?

Wrong, apparently - this is the worst kind of Eurotrash. It's a terrible rhythm game with a weak musical selection, and the only time I ever felt any semblance of flow is when I used the touch screen to "play the piano", Voez style. Avoid at all costs.

Of course, I now have a grudging obligation to take out the second game as well, out of a morbid curiosity to see how bad it gets. The icon is Frederic Chopin wearing wrap around shades and wielding a keytar, smh.

20. Subsurface Circular - NSW

Beaten 3/18/18
Around 1 1/2 hours est. (1pt)

A funky ass adventure game by Mike Bithell, of Thomas Was Alone fame. You're a robot detective who is incapable of getting off from his seat on the subway, and you need to solve a mystery using only information from people who get on the train on its various stops. Since you're physically incapable of getting up, it effectively plays out as a text adventure, with all progress made through conversation.

If that sounds like your cup of tea, give it a shot. It was a little short for my tastes, but I thoroughly enjoyed it while it lasted. It's cheap, too!

21. Aces of the Luftwaffe Squadron - NSW

Beaten 3/18/18
5 hours or more (1pt)

I'm on a roll - I just blew through 5 half finished games in a weekend! That damn Switch backlog is taking a real beating.

Going back: I deeply regret purchasing this game. A vertical scrolling shooter with unlockable ship upgrades, it feels cheaply made, flash game style, and the shooting and movement lacks oomph, as if you're shooting paper planes. The game's unique conceit is that you're playing as a squadron, so youre flying four planes at the same time, in formation. However, the personalities of the four pilots are cringeworthy cardboard cutouts, with the black pilot being a borderline racist depiction. It doesnt help that they're all clearly being voiced by Europeans - while its admittedly hilarious to see a jingoistic, rahrah Uncle Sam type being played by a German, it really takes you out of the moment.

22. Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls - Rise of the Necromancer - PC

Beaten 3/18/18
15 hours and 49 minutes, per ingame timer (1 toon)

I love the ever living shit out of Diablo 3. Bought it on PS3, then Reaper of Souls on PS4, then RoS on PC, and finally RotN on the PC. Rise looked like a good excuse to go boot up D3X again after a long time away from the game. And it's... OK? The Necro is a great class - a little keyboard-centric yes, but very manageable. That said, 15 dollars is absolutely not worth what this expack brings to the table. I actually lost interest after beating Act 4, but re-launched the game today on a whim and rolled straight through Act 5 in an afternoon.

If you like Diablo 3 like me, think of it as a tip jar to commend Blizzard for all the good times you managed to eke out of the game, absolutely free... but if you're short of cash, I absolutely recommend passing on this.

23. Loot Box Quest - PC

Beaten 3/24/18
"10 hours", as per Steam

Note: Artificially inflated play time due to leaving the the game running while I did other things.

It's a nice enough clicker game, and worth the couple of bucks it costs for its commentary on the present state of the industry. However, it's also pretty bare bones, and I wouldn't actively "play" it if not for my curiosity as to what actually lay at the end of all the upgrading.. it has no "hook", unlike Vostok or AdCap. The developer was nice enough to include a refund prompt when you're about to run out of the two hour Steam refund limit... It's hard to imagine a soul dark enough to deny the developer the pittance it costs to play, though.

24. Yakuza 6: The Song of Life - PS4 (Asian R3)

Beaten 4/7/18
25:24:26, as per end game timer

The first PS4 specific installment of the venerable Yakuza series turned out a little disappointing in my opinion. It's still a good game, but the side content is a lot more limited compared to what was on offer before. The combat also starts out feeling a little more wooden than I'm used to, as they gated too many of Kaz's trademark moves behind an upgrade wall. The plot is also all over the place, and after a promising start doesnt really amount to much.

So why three stars? At the end of the day, its still Yakuza, I had fun with it, it gave me 25 mostly good hours... can't really complain. Plus, I added a new location to my travel targets for 2018 (Hiroshima!).

25. Parappa The Rapper Remastered - PS4

Beaten 4/8/18
1.5 hours
Finally got this monkey off my back. The lag on my crappy TV was killing my timing, so I transplanted my entire PS4 rig to my PC monitor and finished off Parappa 1. I still failed a whole damn lot, but finally beating stage 6 was a great feeling!

That said, the three star rating above is purely based on nostalgia... by modern standards, Parappa 1 isnt much of a game.

Last edited:

hamarr

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This is sad, but I do have an update for March:

hamarr 3/52
March 2018
3. Watch Dogs 2 (story)

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Main post 1: https://www.resetera.com/posts/2784229/
Main post 2: https://www.resetera.com/posts/5234679/

42. Remember Me / 9h20 - completed 10.04.18

header.jpg

Despite all the jokes around the title, it's still one of last gen's most interesting action games in my opinion, even if a very flawed one. The characters mostly fall into cliché territory, while the plot is interestingly told but it also falls into well trodden paths by its conclusion. And i still don't get why people whose memory has been erased start mutating into Slender men but i guess videogames. The combat has some interesting ideas and it does get somewhat challenging towards the later chapters due to some fierce encounter design, though it never really shines when compared to stalwarts of the genre. I'd call it serviceable. The memory manipulation sequences are some of the highlights when it comes to the gameplay and it's a shame they're not given enough time to be more fleshed out.

But it's the setting, along with the magnificent art design that truly shines and makes this world come alive. Rarely have i come across a game with such a strong and unique visual identity that just makes me stop and gawk at it. From the white, sterile aesthetic that is punctuated by strong warm colors permeating most of the upper world, to the oppressive and chaotic, but lived in underworld, this game is a beauty still to this day.

I do think that the game loses steam towards the last third as repetition sets in and good ideas seem to run out. I still recommend it to anyone looking for a cyberpunk Uncharted where instead of running and gunning, you make your own combos and kick ass all around Neo-Paris.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
34. Armed & Dangerous
header.jpg

Now this was a lovely little 3rd Person Shooter. I ended up playing it on Easy as enemies got way too overwhemling in later levels.
There isn't any reliance on covers like in most modern TPS, although you will want to hide behind something to catch a breather or to avoid enemies for a short while.
The shooting is pretty solid and as long as an enemy is in your cursor and the cursor is blinking red you can hold the fire button and your bullets or weapon will damage a target. The game has some pretty neat weapons such as a mortar gun that fires mortars or grenades at a distance and a homing rocket launcher.
One cool thing about the game is that you can even fire and damage enemies that are miles away from you, which makes it fun to take down enemies from afar.
The game also has a shark gun which sends a shark to eat up enemies and soldiers within your immediate area, but sadly this one has very limited ammo.
Fortunately enemies drop ammo and health packs as you kill them so you won't be too disadvanted.

The core shooting is quite good, but the missions are kinda repetitive as they mostly involve going througha linear level shooting stuff up. Still each stage is short being 10-15 minutes so it doesn't overstay its welcome too much IMO.

The game's age really shows from its graphics and mission structure, esp. the 'boss battles' that mainly involve you gunning down an invading army before they scale the walls of your fortress, and there are about 3 of these throughout the game.

Among my fav. parts of the game is the voice acting and humor. The game has some well written humor and the voice acting is pretty good, esp. as it features the late Tony Jay as King Forge.
If you can look past its shortcomings, one can still enjoy this shooter and its mindless mayhem of gunning down mooks in the name of righteousness.

OmegaMori

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Only finished like 16 games last year need to up that number.

Games Finished: 9/52
# Of Chicken Dinners: 7

1: Hidden My Game by Mom 2 (iOS) (Jan/1) Play Time: 0h45m 7/10
What a great game series this is, the puzzles are smart the story is not as good and deep as Hidden My Game by mom but still excited for Hidden My Game by Mom 3

2: MARIO RUN (iOS) (Jan/2) Play Time: 1h45m 2/10
Had this game on my phone since day 1 only finished so I can add it to the list this game was rage inducing it a game with no controls just tap just an awful game all around.

3: Assassin's Creed 2 (XB1) (Jan/5) Play Time: 42h52m 8/10
Wanted to play this game again after I was disappointed in Origins, really enjoyed it, I never played the DLC before god that was bad.

4: Resident Evil VII (XB1) (Jan/9) Play Time: 6H56M 9/10
Beat this game in 2 sittings damn it was awesome, lets hope the take future RE games in the same direction this one took
DLC:
End Of Zoe (Jan/10) Pay Time: 1H15M
What a blast this was

6: Shadow of the Colossus (PS4) (Feb/6) Play Time:9H09 9.9/10

A remake of my #2 favourite game of all time beat this game in one setting no breaks I think the marathon added to the greatness of this game.

8: Grand Theft Auto V (PS4) Play Time:N/A (March/14) 9.5/10
This is my 4th time finishing this game it's just as good as the other 3 times

9: The Order 1886 (PS4) Play Time:5H~ (March/15) 5.5/10
Wanted to get a short one in to pad the numbers, I loved the story in this game and I think the world is awesome, Boss fights are dull, I will be pumped when the order 1887 comes out and goes down to 30$ in a year.

10: Mafia 3 (XB1) Play Time:40~Hours (April/10) 5/10
I did enjoy this game but it was a bit to repetitive

11: GAME NAME (DATE)

# INSERT INFO AND COMMENTS HERE

Taneleer

Dec 20, 2017
PNW
Original Post
https://www.resetera.com/posts/5415564/

Game 3: Infamous: Festival of Blood - Platform: PS3
Nice little side story, if not short(wouldn't have bought it ar original price). Now i just have too finish Infamous Last Light to have beaten all of the Infamous games.

Game 4: Steamworld Dig - Platform: Xbox One
Third platform and time I beat the game, the 'Steamworld' series is probably one of my favorite new IP's.

Game 5: The Walking Dead: Michonne - Platform: Xbox One
I felt it was too short, it would have been better if it had a full series of episodes, rather than just 3 episodes. Didn't really flesh out any of the characters.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
header.jpg

Game #44 - Chronicon
Time: 17+ hours

And the biggest surprise this year goes to Chronicon. Two things you should know about me is I rarely buy indie games (blame bundles) and I never buy early access games, not until they are finished (or at least out of early access), and yet I broke those two rules and decided to get Chronicon one night when I was bored at work. I was jonesing for a Diablo-like and decided to take a leap of faith since the steam reviews were good, and oh boy am I glad I did. This is a fantastic dungeon crawler / loot grind Diablo game, don't let the screenshots fool you. At first glance it looks like one of million Nuclear Throne style dual stick shooters, and while the art is deffinately like that, the rest is pure Diablo goodness. Fantastic skill trees that makes the lack of classes be less of a problem (theres only 4 base classes) since each has 4 distinct skill trees an you can mix and match various skills to make them very different (an archer can be a normal archer, a summoner, a mage throwing wind spells, etc), the loot is very good, you are constantly getting items, lots of rare items with special skills and whatnot, gameplay is fast and frantic with tons of mobs on the screen, and while the art isnt the best, some of the spell effects are and theres a bunch of objects blowing up all the time, it ends up looking quite good. Right now there are 4 of 5 planned Chapters, and they are quite varied, lot of different locations and quests to do, including side quests, big maps, and only one of the zones in my opinion was kinda crummy (the forrest, act 2). When you finish the 4th act (or 5th in the future I imagine) which I did in about 15 hours (I also played another class for 2 or 3) you get access to what is basically the Rift system from Diablo 3, random maps where you have to kill a number of mobs to move on, and ocasionally (every 3 levels it seems) you get access to a boss. There is also a gem system, a gamble on random items system, an enchanting system and other various things you usually find in these types of games.The dev (as in, one person, yes its one of those 1 person joints) has lots of plans still for the game as shown in his blog posts and since the game is already very good (and cheap, its only 10€) I am very excited to see how this ends up. Very easy recomendation for fans of the genre, especially if like me you like minions, the minion classes are great and feel like you have your little army (which is something this genre often fails to acomplish for some reason). Will play more in the future but for now since I've seen all there is basically, I felt confident in writing this post. Don't ignore this one peeps, if only if it pops up in some random bundle in the future!

Main Post

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
OP
Backloggery

ruaLQVa.png

Game #11 - SOMA (PS4) - 05/03/18

I've been meaning to play SOMA for a long time, so I finally got around to playing now because I needed a short break game between KH2 and SotC and really liked it. It absolutely nails the crucial parts of any good horror game: The atmosphere, sound design and environmental design. They're all creepy as hell. Same thing goes with the enemy designs and I really like how each one of them has its own gimmick, though there were a couple that were really frustrating. Finally, while I wasn't sure what to expect from the story, I thoroughly enjoyed it. Frictional managed to create a really unique world and the journey through it is fascinating, especially when it touches upon some very dark themes. Both a great horror game and sci-fi story. 4/5

ouulBI6.jpg

Game #12 - Shadow of the Colossus (PS4) - 09/03/18

Shadow of the Colossus is one of my all time favourite games and a masterpiece, so the announcement of the remake last year came as a huge surprise and one I was cautious of at first because I didn't want them changing too much or screwing it up. As the release got closer and I saw more, however, the less cautious and more excited I got. The graphical overhaul, combined with the 60fps framerate on my Pro, is mindblowing. It's easily one of the best looking games of this entire generation, which is saying a lot. I also loved how faithful to the original it was. While it does add content, it's all relatively minor and unobtrusive, which I think was the right decision because the only person who should make major changes to Shadow of the Colossus (like adding new colossi) is Fumito Ueda. And on top of all that, I really like the small quality of life changes they made, particularly the new control scheme and being able to carry over your unlockables between difficulty settings. An amazing remake of an amazing game, I love it. 5/5

C6aCMcv.jpg

Game #13 - Planet of the Apes: Last Frontier (PS4) - 11/03/18

Last Frontier often manages to get the War of the Planet of the Apes vibe right but the writing and animation are very inconsistent, jumping between good and laughable sometimes within the same scene. The horses in particular animate like robots. But the worst part is the design, where none of your choices make any difference at all up until the very end, where suddenly your choices decide what ending you get. This probably wouldn't be as noticeable if they didn't encourage you to try and get all the endings, or at least added a chapter select so you didn't have to replay the entire game for each ending. Disappointing. 2/5

2yVO5wL.jpg

Game #14 - Claire: Extended Cut (PS4) - 13/03/18

One of the few March PS+ games that I didn't already own. I found Claire to be a decent game with an interesting story but the level design is a nightmare. It took me a long time to figure out how to navigate my way through the game and even then, I still took a lot of wrong turns. It's also hurt by an awful bug in the PS4 version that changes the difficulty to the hardest setting whenever a save game is loaded which has only been patched in the US. This basically forcing me to play through the second half of the game on Nightmare and was pretty frustrating. 3/5

Z7P7E1L.jpg

Game #15 - From Dust (PS3) - 16/03/18

I had very fond memories of From Dust last gen but never completely finished it because my PS3 died and I lost my save. Sadly, From Dust didn't quite live up to my fond memories. When everything is going right, it's a lot of fun. It's designed really well for consoles, so it works perfectly on an interface and mechanics level, and manipulating the environment can be really fun. But the AI path tracking and some of the level design can be incredibly frustrating. The path tracking can often glitch, so even if there's an open path available, the AI might stand around doing nothing. Combined with some very time intensive level objectives, it can sometimes lead you to fail even if you've done everything right. And some of the other levels are basically just a race against time and if one thing goes wrong, it's time to restart, which isn't fun. It's still a good game but could be better. Pity they'll never make a sequel. 3/5

Y92mYcE.jpg

Game #16 - Bloodborne: The Old Hunters (PS4) - 21/03/18

I've been meaning to play The Old Hunters for years but never found the time (or courage) to do so because it seemed like I'd have to spend quite a bit of time both getting used to Bloodborne again. But with a bit of a break from new releases until Yakuza 6 and God of War came out, it seemed like a good time to try and I'm glad I did because I had a lot of fun with it. The Old Hunters' new locations are really cool and terrifying in a way that's unique from the original game, as there are other hunters crawling all throughout it. The bosses are, for the most part, amazing, with two of the hardest bosses in the entire game, Ludwig and Orphan of Kos, as well as possibly my favourite one: Lady Maria. And it has some really great new weapons which had me finally ditch my trusty old Saw Cleaver. I'm really happy I finally got around to playing this, it's an amazing expansion. 5/5

d6RT6kU.jpg

Game #17 - The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Blood and Wine (PS4) - 27/03/18

Another expansion I've been meaning to get to for years but just hadn't found the time to play up until now. First impressions were fairly negative because coming straight off Bloodborne, Witcher 3's combat is, frankly, atrocious. Movement is floaty, attacks have some really dumb long winded animations and lack impact, health recovery is weird and the button layout is overly complicated. But after putting some time into it, I eventually got sucked back into that world again. Unlike the chaotic warzone of Velen and the rough uncivilised Skellige, Toussaint is a very civilised and stable region that feels completely different from the others. The addition of a winery you own and upgrade is really cool, especially when it plays a small part in a couple of side missions. Most importantly, the story is fantastic. It's as well written as ever, introducing a really great new cast of characters and setting up some really interesting scenarios. It hooked me right up until the end and even pushed me to get all the different endings. Another amazing expansion. 5/5

iglB3Jx.jpg

Game #18 - Adventures of Mana (PSV) - 31/03/18

This Final Fantasy Adventure remake somehow seemed to slip under my radar when it first came out, probably because it was released 6 months after the iOS/Android release and Japanese Vita version, so I only noticed and bought it recently because of the announcement of the Secret of Mana remake. For what is a very faithful remake of a 1991 Gameboy game, I liked it. Everything is very simple, the story, combat and especially the dungeons, which can make them quite difficult to navigate, so I would've liked it more if those issues had been fleshed out, but I can understand that that wasn't what they were going for. As it is, it's a decent game. 3/5

qrWEoPW.png

Game #19 - Thimbleweed Park (PS4) - 03/04/18

Thimbleweed Park's a good homage to old school point-and-click adventure games but not one without problems. I really enjoyed the puzzles, setting, most of the story and the dynamic with the five characters but the late-game story really goes off the rails and I don't think they did a good job adapting its interface for a controller, in contrast to other new point-and-click adventure games like Broken Age. Overall, it's a good game but kinda disappointing. 3/5

6mdHncp.jpg

Game #20 - Minit (PS4) - 10/04/18

I hadn't heard of Minit up until Easy Allies did a Checkin' Out video featuring it and from that point on I had to buy it. On first look Minit just looks like a 2D Zelda-esque game with an Undertale-esque art style but once you actually get into it, you realise that its core concept makes it stand out completely on its own. Basically, you've got 60 seconds to make some sort of progress, whether that's figuring out what to do next, obtaining an item, changing something in the world or even finding a new home, before dying and then starting a new turn. I know there are a couple of games with similar ideas, like Half-Minute Hero, but for this kind of game, it's really cool, unique and fun, especially since it's relatively short and the gimmick doesn't come close to outliving its welcome. Great game. 4/5

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
34. Castlevania: LoS2 Revelations

header.jpg

Now this was a nice short DLC. Alucard has 3 distinct abilities that he needs to use to solve some light puzzles elements throughout the DLC. The combat was OK, but on Normal various enemies were tankier than they should be, so I assume they were made so in order to make it a little longer.
Story-wise this raises a few questions in regards to LoS2 but is otherwise decent.

Oct 26, 2017
Belarus
Yay, finally reached characters limit in first post!

Main Post part 2

-------

33. Wolfenstein II: The Freedom Chronicles - Episode 3 - 3 hours
This episode is little worse than previous one, but it's not terrible. It plays just as main game, story is good, and overall it's a good DLC if you enjoyed your time with Wolfenstein II and want more. Problems are the same as for other episodes - it's relatively short and doesn't add anything really new to original formula. Episodic idea is not bad, but it suffered because of low budget, whole The Freedom Chronicles feels really cheap and unnecessary. You can easily skip whole season pass, but for good price it may be worth giving it a shoot. Just ignore first episode, and you'll be fine.

laoni

Oct 25, 2017
header.jpg

18. Secret Little Haven (4/3/18 - 3hrs)

I ran into a few glitches while I played, one which necessitated a game restart, but, this was a really enjoyable few hours. I'm not trans myself, but, I have many friends who are, and, this was a really good look at not only some of the struggles they have had to go through, but the struggles of the generation before me (I was 4 in the time this game was set). I grew up always knowing about trans people, so, Alex's confusion was strange at first, but, I took a step back, and realised, the world I grew up in was very different to the world that Alex and Sammy and Laguna all grew up in.

Getting to help each of your friends just before the final showdown face themselves, and look at what help they needed, and the steps they needed to take, was really nice, and for me, Andy listening, was probably the most cathartic. Andy legitimately terrified me, I was waiting for him to shoot up a school, or shoot Alex, or Cassandra, or just...have that toxic masculinity explode in some other direction outwards and people would be hurt.

Well worth the $5 for everyone to experience, I think. Even if you're not trans, I think many of us can relate to the struggles of Alex, of Jenni, of Sammy, and, stepping into the shoes of a young trans girl finding her way will really help people empathise or bring to light struggles people may not be aware of for trans people.

header.jpg

19. Recettear - An Item Shop's Tale (4/11/18 - 15hrs)

It took me two cycles, but, I did manage to beat Recettear! A lot of fun, and the game has a lot of heart, but...so many years on from its release, the localisation is definitely dated. Though it brought me back to the 2000-2010 chat rooms I used to frequent, that's for sure. I never ended up finishing the last dungeon and recruiting Griff, I didn't need to, in the end.

Main Post!

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Original post

35. Sonic Adventure 2
header.jpg

Game started out quite good, but the later levels got more tedious IMO, and one would need to properly know the ins and outs of the game to play it more efficiently. I personally prefer Sonic Adventure 1 more, but I'll still give the game credit for the really cool starting stage with Escape from the City.

Last edited: