• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Bosh

Oct 26, 2017
MAIN THREAD

#36: Forza Horizon 2 (6-28-2018) | 8/10 | Xbox One | ~ 15 Hours | Recommend: Y
#
Overall - 8 | Fun open world arcade racing game with an insane amount of content.
Gameplay - 8 | Plowing through the fields in an expensive sports car could never be more fun
Sound - 8 | Cars sound good as well as the soundtrack
Story/Online - NA | Game has been out 3 years so I didn't judge online. There isn't really a story, go race
Asking Price- 9.33 | Completing the Finale in around 15 hours, it only covers 12% of all the races included

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
Main post

LvKKm4d.png

I started this when it first came out but got distracted (I feel like something else released the same week), so decided it was time to start a new file and give it a proper go. I enjoyed it more this time and saw it through but I think it's a questionable remake that makes some unnecessary changes and dumbs down a bit. But it's still Pokemon and it's comfort gaming to me.

SlS042o.png

Not sure why I had a desire to play this but yeah, the general consensus is pretty spot on. This is a stunningly mediocre game and a lot of the design choices are so baffling I can't understand how they made it into the final product.

uO184Dc.png

I've been eagerly anticipating this port for a long time and it definitely lived up to the hype. Such great value for money (put in over 40 hours), the world is well designed, their is so much enemy variety, a ton of bosses, fantastic art and music and a good level of challenge. It's dethroned Super Metroid as best in genre.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
66. Metal Slug 6
f1e94873291992b45529fad4576c1951.jpg

Beat the game on Easy difficulty with my brother. The fact that it gives you the Heavy Machine Gun as the main weapon with inf. ammo was a neat benefit.
The overall game was OK but I didn't find it to have the same impact as the first 3 or 4 games in the series.

mrpookles

Oct 29, 2017
June update.

Main post.

14. The Witcher 3: Blood and Wine (PC) - Completed 10 June (26 hours) -

Brilliant. Another game I've been sitting on for a long time and now I'm a touch sad that it's over. But man, I've got the urge to do another playthrough of TW3 after this.

15. Titanfall 2 (PC) - Completed 25 June (6 hours) -

Another really good shooter campaign, but built around the bond between a 'pilot' and his Titan. BT is awesome.

Currently playing:

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (PC)

LonestarZues

Oct 27, 2017
Master Post:
https://www.resetera.com/posts/3243362

51. Fallout 3 - Xbox 1 - 6/29 - 55 hours: Started a new playthrough earlier this year with the intention of finally playing all the dlc with the exception of Broken Steel which I'd already played previously. Enjoyed all of them except Mothership Zeta. Wasn't bad, but not my flavor. Love the Fallout universe and excited for Fallout 76.

Fairy Godmother

Backward compatible
Oct 27, 2017
Main post.
I finished 5 this month, that's pretty good.

TtepW1A.jpg

22. Nidhogg (PS4)- 5 hours. ★★★☆ Super fun party game. Easy to learn, hard to master. It's almost like a game of rock, paper & scissor. The more you play, the more reading you have on your opponent and they also do the same to you.

221UfuP.jpg

23. Hand of Fate 2 (PS4)- 20 hours. ★★★★ This is a massive improvements from the first game. RNGs can still get you sometimes, but you can counter it with the right deck build to improve your chance of success. There are more of everything: more weapons, more enemy types, more armours/artifacts. Each challenge has their own distinctive flavours, all of them requiring you to understand how to build a good deck since goblin build isn't very useful. Some cards are way too useful to leave behind though. If only the dealer would shut up whenever I pick my favourite cards. Combat is still very repetitive, but not challenging. It's only getting "harder" because the game would throw more enemies at you in later levels, not because the enemies are particularly well designed. I lost more HP to careless mistakes due to boredom rather than difficulty.

LyycrAu.jpg

24. Overcooked (Switch)- 10 hours. ★★★☆ Another fun party game. We spent as much time yelling at each other as cooking. 4 party is the optimal amount to get the most out of this game. Each map has its own gimmicks, not all of them good, but designed well enough so it's not frustrating, especially for casual gamers.

sYSTCaD.jpg

25. Panzer Dragoon Orta (XBO)- 5 hours. ★★☆☆ I'm split between liking it and feeling indifferent towards it. While enemy/level designs are fun to tackle, control is tight and responsive, and the graphic still holds up very well, there were quite a few things I disliked, for example there's no fast switching between 3 different dragon modes, no in-game tutorials and a few frustrating trial & error battles with no checkpoints.

EsBdPXm.jpg

26. DmC: Devil May Cry Definitive Edition (XBO)- 8 hours. ★★★★ Technically this is a replay. I remember enjoying the vanilla on the older consoles. This was really fun anyhow, beated it in 3 sittings. Story is a bit simplistic, but I enjoyed the gameplay, the tone and characters. Apparently this version improved on the original version, but it has been years I can't tell the differences. :/

Spyware

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Jpyo0RP.png

Game #103: This Strange Realm of Mine
Started 27 Jun 2018 - Completed 28 Jun 2018
Verdict: Varied and odd.

This is hard to say anything about because a huge part of the game seems to be the creator's thoughts on Life, the Universe and Everything, and that part didn't really get through to me. I just skimmed the text. The gameplay in between is really enjoyable tho. I just recently played Wolfenstein 3D so the shooty parts pretty much felt like that but with much better controls. There is some interesting variation in the gameplay too. You get to make binary black or white choices and here is where the biggest annoyance comes in. The game has achievements for five "endings", but they are barely different and depend on how many good or bad points you got. Make all the good choices and you end up with the light ending. Make only bad choices and you end up on the other side. Then you have one for the middle and two for a little more of light/dark without going all the way. I think this is a really bad idea and making achievements for this just hurts the game. You are of course not forced to play the game five times, it's "only" achievements after all. But achievements are a big thing to some people and devs should be very careful about what sort of achievement they put into the game. Since the choices in this game are completely of the option 1 or option 2 kind, the most you can get out of them are two different outcomes. There is also no difference in the later choices depending on what you did before. So the creator asks you to play three more times "just because" and that hurts the game a lot. You have only two ways to play too, either you kill stuff or you don't. It's a fine, quite varied and interesting game for a maximum of two playthroughs, so why hurt it by asking people to play it more times than that?​

k0bqFuU.png

Game #104: Hostil
Started 29 Jun 2018 - Completed 29 Jun 2018
Verdict: Super cute but maybe too simple.

Hostil is a super short story about a person that crashes onto a pretty hostile planet and needs to get away from there fast. You go through scenes doing pretty simple point and click puzzles, uncovering a little story about the planet. The art is very nice and the story is interesting enough. I would have loved a longer game that was a bit more complicated, with an expanded story. But this is still a little treat.​

1YR6rRT.png

Game #105: Gorogoa
Started 28 Jun 2018 - Completed 29 Jun 2018
Verdict: A fine puzzler that failed to hook me.

I dunno what the game did wrong, probably nothing at all. It just never clicked. I usually love puzzle games too so it feels very strange, especially since it's so very loved and recommended. Anyway, it was fine, just nothing special. I have a similar annoyance with the devs of this as I had with This Strange Realm of mine. There is an achievement for finishing the game in under 30 minutes and that feels so out of place for a game like this. Stressing through the game just feels like the total opposite of what you should do. The achievement is even called "But why?". Well, because you asked us? The whole thing just feels like they ran out of ideas and made and achievement "just because". It bothers me.​

_

Master Post!

Oct 26, 2017
Belarus
Main Post part 2

-------

57. The Club - 3 hours
Short, simple "arcade" TPS where you need to kill fast and always run forward to keep combo meter high and get better score than your opponents. Good idea, but it's clearly a game that was designed for gamepads, there's no aim assits at all if you're playing with KBM+Mouse, and you know it's kinda hard to aim when timer is running out and you can't stop even for a second. It's a good concept, but I can't say this game is worth it, yeah fun to play but there's not much singleplayer content and online is pretty much dead thanks to GFWL.

Oct 25, 2017
June Report

https://www.resetera.com/posts/2739063/
Main Post

This month I completed 12 games.

My progress for this challenge is 39/52

1. Bioshock Infinite Burial at Sea Episode 2 - Finished on June 1 - 5 hours

The story arc conclusion of the Bioshock collection serves to tie everything up in a nice little package. At first playing as Elizabeth I thought would stink because at the start stealth and being unnoticed was emphasized but once you get a couple guns you are able to sort of erase any mistakes you may have made and it allows you to play stealth if you want but also go in guns blazing if you have to. I did enjoy the stealth aspect when I normally do not. The story again was pretty well done. It ties Infinite pretty well with the original Bioshock. Since the original is one of my top ten favorite games, I did enjoy this treatment.

2. Uncharted: Drake's Fortune - Finished on June 2 - 9 hours

I gave Nathan Drake another chance. I played this on PS3 past the notorious upriver jet ski segment and gave up on it. I kept with it this time around and was rewarded with a mostly fun experience. The gun play was fun and going from cover to cover and killing enemies was fun but some segments were just dull. The platforming segments were sometimes just a frustration game of "can I make that jump? Do they really intend for me to go this way?" and often times it was a guess and see method. The story was intriguing as well up to a certain point and then it just sort of gets weird. I won't spoil it but it definitely felt like a plot twist like I was in a Professor Layton game and my disbelief had to be suspended for the last 25% or so. The game flowed pretty well from platforming segment to gunfighting segment with a little bit of story cutscene thrown in. I see why these games were so popular. Glad I have all four of them in the can on my PS4 ready to go.

3. Uncharted 2: Among Thieves - Finished on June 9 - 10 hours

This game improves upon the first in a myriad of ways. Much better storytelling through use of cutscenes. Much better gunplay. Bigger and better action scenes. Drake even manages to take down a helicopter and a tank in this one. I found myself cracking up at the dialog between the characters and really taking a liking to them this time around. In Uncharted 1 I felt like they were just there, but by the end of Uncharted 2 I was hoping nothing bad would happen to any of them. I still had a little trouble with the whole platforming and it looks like I can go here but I actually can't thing. There are actually a couple jumps where you have to wait until you are completely off the edge with both feet before hitting the jump button otherwise you won't make it across. Everything felt much smoother here though. The bullet sponge enemies were clearly marked and even the late game super enemies you faced I figured out fairly quickly they go down really easily to a certain weapon. Without much trying I got most of the weapon kill trophies which to me is the hallmark of great weapon design. They were all fun to use and you saw them enough to get some kills.

4. Pokemon Go - Finished on June 13 - ??? hours

I'm putting this down now but still plan to actively play every single day until the weather gets bad. This is my first week off Summer Vacation from work and I've been out every single day walking to hatch eggs, catching pokemon and farming stops to replenish my items. I have even completed a few raid battles solo! I earned my gold Kanto medal last year but now also have a gold Johto medal and am working hard on Hoenn. I will continue to get my daily catch and disc spin done and continue to push toward a new level.

5. Onimusha Warlords - Finished on June 15 - 3 hours

My annual post E3 trilogy playthrough began here. I decided not to do the Dark Realm and just rush to the end. I was tired and played rather poorly during the Kaede segments and used a few herbs that I didn't want to. I really had a hard time this year. Did not max out my wind weapon either. Enjoyed the game but having played it repeatedly you recognize flaws. Getting hit from off screen, getting hit by things you cannot see because the camera angle sucks and things are cluttered, not remembering which attacks are unblockable and which are not, taking damage during an animation that you cannot cancel (the ground stab to finish off enemies is the big offender here), and just old and bad controls. I love the game and the series but this game sorely needs an update.

6. Onimusha 2: Samurai's Destiny - Finished on June 19 - 8 hours

This sequel has you playing as Jubei Yagyu surrounded by a colorful cast of secondary characters. You can give these characters gifts to curry favor and have them show up to aid you and even play as them during certain segments of the game. I like this system. I have played this game no fewer than half a dozen times to completion and I am still only at 86% scenario completion. I really wish there was an ultimate mode where you could get any scene you wanted and play as all four side characters during a single run of the game. Gameplay remains largely the same but a key addition of large orbs allowing you to transform once you get five. It is a little clunky because once you get the fifth you automatically transform. I believe in Onimusha 3 you actually have to click one of the sticks to transform so you can save your powerful ability for when it is absolutely necessary.

7. Super Mario Odyssey - Finished on June 21 - 14 hours

This game is a joy. It is my 2017 game of the year that i mostly played in 2018. I finished the main game with just shy of 250 power moons and then went on and got up to 300 in the ensuing stuff that happens. I'm not done with it yet but I wanted to get it down here so I don't forget. Game was just wonderful. Exploration always felt worthwhile and rewarding, even when many worlds and missions were straightforward go here and take care of this sort of things. The variety was fun, from 3D platforming to capturing enemies and using their unique abilities to do certain things to the odd 2D segment where you actually have a run button! I enjoyed most boss fights as well which is rare for me in a Mario game. Normally it is either too simple or some convoluted and clunky thing. Having many of them require capturing enemies to complete was genius and added a ton of variety to what is basically stomp an enemy three times to beat formula. The worlds themselves were vibrant and full of nooks and crannies to explore. Even something that seems simple like the first world hides many secrets at the beginning of the game. I always tried to stay diligent looking for Power Moons even after I was finished with the main story quest in a particular world. Finishing the game with nearly 250 Power Moons and racking up another 60 in quick succession afterwards illustrates how in love I am with this game. I'm not sure I will 100% it because it seems like a daunting task for someone who is merely average at the game. But man I am going to have some fun trying. Doing the hard mode version of the boss fights you access from the Mushroom Kingdom was a thrill. I was actually interested to see how the fights were made more difficult. Instead of just giving bosses more overpowered attacks or more health, interesting little changes were thrown in. A whole lot of love and effort went into crafting this game. While Breath of the Wild gets all the praise, this game is the true legacy of the first year of the Switch in my opinion. I would not be opposed at all to paid DLC for this game or a sequel that uses the same engine and adds some new gameplay wrinkles and is just bigger ala Galaxy 2 for the Wii. Truly a masterpiece and easily my favorite 3D Mario eve and maybe even favorite Mario game ever by the time I am done.

8. The Walking Dead: Season 2 Episode 1 - Finished on June 21 - 1 hour, 30 minutes

This was played using my imported save from season 1. This is played from Clementine's point of view now. And she is a total badass. I don't think it is ever stated exactly how old she is but I know I'd never be able to do even a fraction of the things she does even at my adult age. Game does a great job of building tension, getting you interested and attached to characters, and then testing those loyalties. You promise a character something and say there is no way you'd ever break that promise and then 15 minutes later you almost have to. TWD is different from the other Telltale games to me because it is more of an emotional experience than the other games. The desperation and downright hopelessness in many of the scenarios presented elicits more of an emotional response from me. This episode was no different, even though much of it centered around meeting a new group of people. Clementine gets attacked by a dog who was just hungry. I did the honorable thing and killed it rather than letting it suffer impaled on spikes.

9. Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception - Finished on June 22 - 10 hours

I really am starting to enjoy the gameplay and the absurdity of some scenarios, but I really wish the story and characters were better. Chloe and Charlie just are gone midway through the story and never return. Elena isn't mentioned at all in the first half and is there for a few chapters playing a prominent role but then is gone for good until the epilogue after a few chapters. Sully is here and there. I also did not enjoy the trippy visuals a few times during the story. I found it disorienting and a little nauseating. But otherwise the same tried and true formula is here. Platforming and shooting and sometimes shooting while platforming. Grand set pieces involving horseback riders chasing down cars and more of a focus on hand to hand combat. I did enjoy it for the most part. A few checkpoints felt rough but I made it through.

10. Mega Man 5 - Finished on June 29 - 2 hours, 30 minutes

My least favorite of the classic series. The weapons are bad. There are many stages that I just flat out do not like. The charge buster is good. There are several bosses that are just complete bullshit even as someone who has played the classic series for years and have beaten this game a few times before. There are several bosses that are really aggressive and try to hang out in your hitbox. Weapons like Power Stone and Charge Kick stink to use. One ups are handed out like candy in terms of drops. I played pretty well because I was on a TV screen instead of my 3DS this time. Switch controller still not the best for this. I would like an actual d-pad to play a game like this.

11. Mega Man - Finished on June 29 - 1 hour, 30 minutes

The original. It is rough around the edges, less polished than future entries in the series, features only six robot masters instead of the usual eight, and has a points system. It is much shorter but also quite a bit more difficult in spots. Fighting four robot masters in a row back to back with no health refills is very tough. There are no E-Tanks like there are in future entries in the series so you basically have to tank four bosses in a row. Despite these things I do enjoy the game. The pause glitch to basically nuke bosses is classic. Most bosses are fair enough including one of the easiest final bosses in the series.

12. Mega Man 6 - Finished on June 29 - 2 hours, 30 minutes

The last of the NES Mega Man games. I like this one more than 5 and 1 thus the order I played it. Charge shot is less OP. You have much better weapons. Bosses feel fair although a few hitboxes are terrible. Every stage has an E-Tank you can get and you can revisit them so you can farm 9 before you head off to the castles. Centaur Man for some reason is a water stage. This game is really easy I feel until the end. Wily is tough but again you can farm E-Tanks pretty easily. Rush becoming the power or jet suits instead of being a dog is a bit of a bummer but being able to wind up and punch something is cool. There are a couple ugly jet segments in the first Wily stage that I just absolutely loathe every time I play.

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
https://www.resetera.com/threads/52-games-1-year-2018.13773/#post-2734861

May

28. Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Wildlands - 50 hrs

Okay podcast game.

*29. God of War - 40 hrs

Definite contender for game of the year. Too bad about RDR2 coming out....

*30. Yoku's Island Express - 10 hrs

Fantastic little unique twist on metroidvania/pinball combo. Loved it

June

31. The Sexy Brutale - 8 hrs

Loved this. Wish I played it earlier.

*32. Cultist Simulator - 4 hrs

I got a few endings but I didn't completely beat it. I want to like it but I don't know that I can. It feels shallow and repetitive.

33. Monument Valley 2 - 2 hrs

Lovely.

*34. The Room: Old Sins - 4 hrs

I love these games, I'm always up for more.

*35. Scalak - 3 hrs

The creator of these games does a good job creating fun little time wasters that a pleasing to play. They're not hard or deep but they are satisfying.

36. Pocket Kingdom - 7 hrs

Exploration/puzzler that was very enjoyable for a bargain price.

*denotes games from this year
36 games / 578 hrs / 2018

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
OP
Backloggery

hlj9EFv.jpg

Game #31 - God of War (PS4) - 10/05/18

Wow. What a game. I was surprised just how much it still felt like God of War. It's still a character action game with light puzzles, spectacular boss fights and brutal finishers, it's just a fresh take on the series that's far more mature. The new combat system is brilliant, almost like a cross between God of War and Souls and it works perfectly. The camera system is a little restrictive but the visual cues of attacks happening behind you works really well. The move to a more hub based game structure works incredibly well, despite everything being centred around the lake, they still designed it in such a way that it really feels like a long, epic journey. And Atreus is a fantastic character and addition to the series. Throughout the story he develops in such a natural way, both in his characterisation and combat abilities, eventually turning into a really useful part of the gameplay. There were a few little problems I had with it, like not being able to climb while in combat (which got me trapped a couple of times) and how grindy Niflheim is on higher difficulties, but they aren't significant issues, more like nitpicks. By far and away my favourite game so far this year and one of my favourites this generation. 5/5

3eAmlU1.jpg

Game #32 - Braid (PS3) - 11/05/18

It's taken me a long time to finally play this but if I'm honest, it wasn't the amazing game I was expecting. The story was decent, if often long-winded, and I loved the twist but the time gimmicks were a mixed bag. Some I found really cool but others were just frustrating, especially if making a mistake forced me to restart the entire level. I still thought it was a good game, I just had higher expectations after all the praise I'd heard over the years. I imagine it would've been a revelation to me if I'd played it way back in 2008 when it came out though. 3/5

lWlYlbd.jpg

Game #33 - Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep (PS4) - 23/05/18

Game #4 in my Kingdom Hearts series playthrough and there's only one major installment left after this (since 0.2 is meant to be really short). First, I really love what they did with the gameplay. Getting rid of the stupid command menu and replacing it with a list of equippable abilities/items is a big positive, though it sadly looks like they're going back to the crappy old command menu for KH3.

As always with Kingdom Hearts, the story is a convoluted mess but I do have to say that at least Birth By Sleep was an enjoyable mess. The transformation of Keyblade wielders into what are essentially Jedi is dumb but pretty fun, though it'd be a bit more convincing if there were more than like 4 or 5 people in their organisation. Of the new characters, Ven and Terra come off like easily manipulated idiots, though likable enough idiots. Aqua, on the other hand, is fantastic. She's competent and gets shit done, making her by far and away my favourite KH protagonist. Pity we're going back to Sora for DDD and KH3.

As far as the worlds go, I really love how they went back and added some classics that've been overlooked so far, like Cinderella, Snow White and Sleeping Beauty, plus the addition of a Lilo and Stitch world. But like KH2, the level design is still far too simple for my liking, making them feel more like short game levels instead of actual worlds.

Finally, I can't avoid mentioning the mini-games, which are worse than ever. The racing and volleyball-like mini-games are bad and really boring to make your way through but holy shit, the Ice Cream Beat rhythm mini-game is outright garbage. It makes the Little Mermaid rhythm mini-game in KH2 look amazing in comparison.

Overall though, Birth By Sleep is a great game and the best in the series so far. 4/5

cU8otdl.jpg

Game #34 - Evoland (PC) - 27/05/18

The recent Steam Cleaning Event motivated me to take a look at my Steam backlog for the first time in a long time and as a short RPG, Evoland immediately stood out to me. I liked the way it played on Zelda and JRPG tropes and the advances those kind of games made going from the NES all the way up to the PS1 but it ran out of them quite quickly and there just wasn't enough to the gameplay to really keep my interest. Decent game but I feel it could've been better. 3/5

rr8qhEJ.jpg

Game #35 - Valkyria Chronicles Remastered (PS4) - 02/06/18

I played and finished Valkyria Chronicles back when it first came out in 2008 but I bought the remaster a while ago with the intention to replay it and with Valkyria Chronicles 4 coming out later this year, this seemed like the perfect time to dig in. I still love it. It has issues I'd like to see sorted out in VC4, like the sometimes absurdly long enemy turns and A ranks relying entirely on speed for some stupid reason (forcing you to sometimes save scum if you want to get them), but the gameplay mechanics are still brilliant a decade later and the art style is wonderful. 4/5

H0Wl1un.jpg

Game #36 - To The Moon (PC) - 03/06/18

I don't remember buying To The Moon but with my recent interest in my PC backlog and news of an anime adaptation, I noticed it sitting there in my backlog and decided to start it up. It's a bit janky, as all RPG Maker games are, and I wish it'd get a remake with an engine more suited to an adventure game but I still absolutely loved it. Its story is really touching and well written and told in such a unique and interesting way. Great game, I'm looking forward to checking out the sequel at some point. 4/5

S3bJuRK.jpg

Game #37 - Divinity: Dragon Commander (PC) - 10/06/18

I bought Divinity: Dragon Commander way back in Late 2013 but after finding that you basically start from scratch at the start of each chapter and banging my head against the RTS battles, I grew tired of it and put it back into my backlog. But now, with all the new interest in the Divinity series, I found myself really wanting to get back in and finally finish Dragon Commander.

Honestly, it's a pretty terrible strategy game. You move units around an overview map in order to defend or attack territories but often times, your units aren't properly represented in the actual battle. There were times where I easily outnumbered the enemy on the map, only to find myself vastly outnumbered in the battle. On top of that, the RTS mechanics are very simple and boring and the AI outright sucks. Its saving grace is that after a short count down, you can turn into a dragon and wreck shit, which is surprisingly fun even though it usually devolves into mashing the left mouse button and often makes battles trivial.

Having said all that, the battles are actually just a distraction from the hearts of the game: The story and RPG elements. As the bastard son of the late Emperor, you're basically tasked with re-uniting his empire, while fighting off your family members and other enemies. What makes it interesting is you have a number of councillors, each representing their own race and stereotype (the undead are religious conservatives, the dwarves are capitalists, etc), and generals, who you can talk to and will often force you to make political decisions that will impact how much each race likes or dislikes you. A lot of the time the choices are very on the nose, like letting women vote, but it's very fun and I liked the way they often played out.

A good but very flawed game. 3/5

DAKciju.jpg

Game #38 - Kingdom Hearts: Dream Drop Distance (PS4) - 21/06/18

The final major game in my Kingdom Hearts playthrough and a disappointment coming after Birth by Sleep. I really like the KH1-like larger levels but they feel so empty and lifeless, it's often a slog to get through them. They bring across a lot of the good ideas from BBS, like the equippable abilities/item menu, but I'm not a fan of the additions. The parkour abilities add some needless complication to the gameplay mechanics, even if they are useful to get around the large levels, while the Pokemon-like Dream Eaters kinda suck. And worst of all is the drop mechanic, which constantly counts down and then switches between Sora and Riku's campaigns once it hits zero. If you happen to have a drop mid-boss battle (which happens an awful lot), you'll find that said boss has now recovered all its health once you eventually switch back. It's fucking terrible. And as far as the story goes, it's your typical incomprehensible KH mess. Fun but they add even more detail to the mess that is KH lore. So yeah, a decent game but a step backwards from Birth by Sleep. 3/5

3OxPhKP.jpg

Game #39 - The Last Express (PC) - 25/06/18

I originally bought The Last Express because I remembered Idle Thumbs talking about it a lot waaay back in the day but it's taken me a few years to finally play it. The Last Express is a point and click adventure game set on a train heading from Paris to Istanbul on the eve of World War 1 in 1914. At first glance, I didn't think it aged well. The animation framerate is atrocious and it took me a little while to figure out that was an intentional artistic choice, while the interface is unintuitive and janky. But once you put some time in, those issues fade away into the background because it has some truly excellent writing and scenario design. The writing, particularly the characters, is fantastic. Each character has their own motives and back story and it makes for a really entertaining story. And the scenario design is something that really stands out to me because I love the idea of a game where time continues to progress and you have to react to the events that play out. This obviously isn't the only game that's done it (Dead Rising an obvious other example) but I think a lot of games make it really frustrating by trying to encourage multiple playthroughs. The Last Express doesn't do this, it instead has a rewind feature that takes you back to previous points, allowing you to replay sections when you make mistakes or just catch all the dialogue you may have missed and get more details on each character. It works really well. Great game. 4/5

I6IgXKj.jpg

Game #40 - The Awesome Adventures of Captain Spirit (PS4) - 28/06/18

A very cool little Life is Strange 2 prologue. I'm trying to stay away from any spoilers but I can't wait to see where they go with this story because I already love this protagonist. 3/5

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
67. The Mummy Demastered

A Metroidvania-style game by Wayforward that is based on the 2017 Mummy movie.
Overall a decent metroidvania with nice pixel art and great music, but various enemies were really irritating like the spiders and rats among others smaller enemies =_=
I didn't 100% the game or map but I enjoyed my time with it at its best. While boss fights were good I felt that one runs out of ammo for the sub weapons too quickly during boss fights that you are left to waste them using your pea shooter of a rifle.

Illusionary

Oct 25, 2017
Manchester, UK
Seven games in June brings me to the three-quarter mark on the challenge, now at a total of 39 games. Here's my full update for June:

header.jpg

33. Hob (PS4) - 8 June 2018
Platinum trophy earned, including two complete playthroughs (100% collection; minimum collection speedrun with minimal deaths). An action-adventure game in which the player controls a hooded figure as they explore a world filled with mysterious ruins, Hob is primarily focused on exploration and puzzle-solving, though it also has a fairly basic combat element. Without going into too much detail so as to avoid spoilers, I'll say that the way that the world opens up as you explore is unusual and engrossing, and while there's no direct explanation of how the world has reached its current state, the world-building is impressive and engrossing, offering just enough by way of clues while allowing the player's imagination to fill in the blanks.

header.jpg

34. Puzzle Agent (Steam) - 10 June 2018
All puzzles completed, no wrong answers, no hints used. It's been very interesting to see this example of Telltale Games' earlier work! Similar in many ways to the 3DS's Professor Layton series, Puzzle Agent is essentially a series of standalone puzzles tied together with a narrative based on investigation of a missing-person investigation by an agent of an imagined 'puzzle division' of the FBI (which despite some 'dark' themes, is told in a generally light-hearted manner). There's a nice variety to the puzzles, and while none are especially difficult, solving each once always brings a sense of satisfaction.

The game does come across as somewhat unpolished, with simplistic 'cartoon' graphics and low-frame animation, though that may be by design - and ultimately, for both the puzzles that are the game's core and the accompanying story, this was an enjoyable experience.

header.jpg

35. Far Cry 5: Hours of Darkness (PS4) - 14 June 2018
100% of trophies earned; completed on Normal, Survivor and Action Hero modes. Somewhat short and limited in scope, and with only minimal story, but the gameplay in what content this first expansion does present is decent enough, especially given its focus on the stealth aspects that are typically among what I enjoy most about recent Far Cry games.

header.jpg

36. Puzzle Agent 2 (Steam) - 15 June 2018
All puzzles completed, including bonus puzzles (34/34), no wrong answers, no hints used. If you enjoyed the original Puzzle Agent, this sequel offers more of the same, but little more. The puzzle count is increased slightly, but it's a bit of a shame that the game doesn't have much ambition to improve or expand on the original version beyond that. Still, despite one notable example of a very US-centric puzzle, the game retains the enjoyable core from the original.

35hi6bb.jpg

37. Wario Land II (3DS VC/GBC) - 17 June 2018
100% of levels completed, 100% of treasures and map pieces collected, "really final chapter" completed. I loved the original Wario Land when I played upon its original release, but despite that I've never previously played any of its sequels - so I'm finally correcting that via the 3DS Virtual Console. The slow, exploration-heavy style of platforming from the original is very much still on display here, though I didn't find it quite as captivating as I did with the original. Of course, that's probably in large part due to how the genre has evolved in the 20 years since then, rather than being a fault of the game, and I still very much enjoyed the experience.

352pzwk.png

38. Golf Story (Switch) - 14 June 2018
Story fully completed, all gear collected. I'm not usually a particular fan of golf games, but Golf Story has had enough positive hype behind it for me to want to give it a chance - and I'm very glad that I did. While neither the golf mechanics nor the RPG framework used to drive forward the game are particularly deep, combined with the desire to see through the story the game comes together very strongly. I played through the game wholly with my Switch in docked mode, but I can definitely also agree with the general consensus that the game is very well-suited to portable play. By the end of the game, I was even finding myself starting to question whether I should give 'real life' golf a proper go at some point, which has to be high praise for the game!

header.jpg

39. Life Is Strange: Before the Storm (PS4) - 30 June 2018
Platinum trophy earned. I think that I actually enjoyed this a little more than the original Life Is Strange! While I found that the first episode felt a little too linear (in terms of limited interactivity beyond those elements driving forward the plot), the later two episodes address that; overall the story and development of the relationship between Rachel and Chloe is very engaging, taking a few somewhat unexpected turns.

Snowfruit

Teyvat Traveler
Jun 8, 2018
United States
June update - Main post

cISeova.png

Game 3. FTL: Faster Than Light - 18 hours - June 12th
This is a tactical masterpiece. I'm glad I stuck with it and gave it a chance because it has a deep learning curve. After that though, it's really addicting and enjoyable. Unlocking new ships adds so much replayability since they all play completely different so I could see myself coming back to it time to time. Beat the flagship with 3 different ships so that's satisfying enough for me now.

i6FgQEq.jpg

Game 4. Stardew Valley - 60 hours - June 14th
Another game with a an addicting gameplay loop. Takes the best from games like Harvest Moon and Rune Factory. Loved it. So many mods available to make your experience better as well.

kSi5AX8.jpg

Game 5. Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon - 6 hours - June 16th
Th
is is my first time being able to finish a game in this genre. Managed to get most of the endings.
I've tried one of the old 2D Metroid games and one of the Castlevania games on DS. It just clicked with this one though, it's really satisfying to play.

If Ritual of the Night is anywhere near as good as this one, I'm all in.

uhqQLBC.jpg

Game 6. A Way Out - 6 hours - June 30th
Innovative stuff like this is always great. Had a ton of fun playing through it co-op with a friend. Interested to see what these devs do next.

Oct 25, 2017
Original Post

So I guess this month for me was basically DLC expansion month, for the most part.

25. Horizon Zero Dawn: The Frozen Wilds
- [9/10] 10 hours, June 8th
Really good DLC expansion. Had a great time with it, though the endgame of "go fight the final boss enemy but in different areas" didn't really excite me, I didn't really like fighting the new robots that much. I did however enjoy finding all the various pointless collectibles and the entire frozen wilds area was fun to explore with a lot of enjoyable quests. More Horizon was a very good thing.

26. Splatoon 2: Octo Expansion - [9.5/10] 8 hours, June 16th
I always found Splatoon's single player stuff incredibly underrated, so I was thrilled when Nintendo announced this. I haven't done everything yet, but I loved this expansion. Lots of great levels, and the entire final stretch of levels up through the final boss battle was incredible stuff. Shockingly hard throughout, too.

27. Overcooked - [8/10] 6 hours, June 25th
This game is an incredibly fun co-op experience. One of my favorite game experiences I've had this year, just had a fantastic time playing it with my girlfriend. This game has a ton of wonky problems but it also has a lot of heart and the core loop and ideas are fun enough to make up for the glitches and flaws.

28. Mario and Rabbids Kingdom Battle: Donkey Kong Adventure - [9.5/10] 10ish hours, June 30th
After having marathoned a ton of Donkey Kong games this year in prep for DKCTF's Switch port, this was a perfect thing for me to play. DK and Rabbid Cranky have a lot of fun abilities that make them very interesting to play with, and even at about half the length of the main campaign this feels very worthwhile and full of content. Plus it helps that I loved this game and I love DKC. I was already considering it earlier in the year when I was marathoning DKC, but at this point it feels like I HAVE to play DK64 soon after having heard all sorts of its music in this expansion.

Last edited:

Bosh

Oct 26, 2017
MAIN THREAD

7628ade1d1cdaa4d305a7bd3a840eefdcc9dd869v2_128.jpg

#37: Mario Tennis Aces (7-2-2018) | 6/10 | Switch | ~ 8 Hours | Recommend: M
#
Overall - 6 | The search for another great Mario Tennis game continues. Most disappointed game I was looking forward to this year.
Gameplay - 6.8 | The concept is great and plays well but every mode only feels 1/2 completed
Sound - 7 | Not much, besides Toad yelling at you every few minutes.
Story/Online - 5.5 | SP is over before it starts , online matchmaking is laughable. Offline modes lacking
Asking Price- 7 | Right now the game is quite restricted. Lets hope Nintendo adds content over time

Bosh

Oct 26, 2017
MAIN THREAD

94b5de8d817a825b35dde167d651386d.png

#38: Donkey Kong Country (7-2-2018) | 8/10 | SNES C | ~ 4.5 Hours | Recommend: Y
#
Overall - 8 | A classic that still holds up today. Replayed the game and finished what I couldn't as a kid
Gameplay - 7.4 | Fun gameplay with cutting edge graphics. Hit detection and # enemies spotty
Sound - 8 | Fantastic soundtrack . Limited number of tracks but all high quality
Story/Online - 7 | Get your bananas back?
Asking Price- 7.67 | Fun game with good amount of levels. Still hate the mine carts

Deleted member 1759

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Europe
Main Post

#44: The Awesome Adventures of Captain Spirit (PC) | 2.2h | June 25 | ★★★★

Great little "teaser" for the next Life is Strange game. Apart from the main story, there are quite a lot of smaller things to do. Enjoyed playing through it and finish all optional stuff. Graphics look really good as well.

#45: Marie's Room (PC) | 0.5h | July 03 | ★★★½

Another short F2P adventure/exploration game. You uncover the story by going through your friend's room and interacting with all the stuff that is in there. The narrator comments on everything and so the story gets put together piece by piece. Quite enjoyed the soundtrack, too.

#46: The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition (PC) | 6.0h | ★★★

About time I finally played this game. I overall liked it but the humor didn't always work for me. And I absolutely would have been lost without a guide. The controls could be a pain in the ass at times and the backtracking... ugh. I don't know why but the more P&C adventures I play, the less I like them.

Spyware

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
I6XiKhX.png

Game #106: System Shock
Started 29 Jun. 2018 - Completed 1 Jul. 2018
Verdict: Good Old Game™.

It's so tempting to write "this was a shock to my system"... so I did that. But yeah, this game was very overwhelming at first. I got into it pretty fast tho thanks to the Enhanced Edition changes. I really don't get how people could play without mouselook. And yes, I tried it. Ack! The story wasn't really as good as I had expected it to be, so to speak, but it was very enjoyable to go through it anyway thanks to all the logs. Especially the voiced stuff! The gameplay was tedious at first but I got into the switching between menus and mouselook pretty fast. Combat was pretty eh but I liked the puzzles. I also loved the difficulty settings menu! It's super cool that you can make the story, combat, puzzles and cyberspace as simple or complicated as you like completely separate from the others by setting each of them between 0 and 3. (I played on 2222).

j9quimI.png

Game #107: Rumu
Started 1 Jul. 2018 - Completed 1 Jul. 2018
Verdict: Absolutely adorable.

Rumu loves everyone and everyone should love Rumu. Somehow Rumu (the character) manages to be a super adorable robot vacuum and it is programmed to love, clean and love some more. While the game starts off with you having to use Rumu to clean up stuff, it soon changes to be a story about love and other emotions. Saying more than that risks diminishing the impact of the story, so I'll just say that the graphics, sounds and controls were superb and I loved the story. If you are the least bit interested in cute short games with stories about any kind of emotions, play this one.​

7likztP.png

Game #108: Jettomero
Started 2 Jul. 2018 - Completed 2 Jul. 2018
Verdict: Charming and repetitive.

The first thing I have to praise about this game is the look. It looks so cool! The different plants, solar systems and everything is just a joy. You can also go into the picture mode to change how the game looks via a huge gallery of filters. So, now to the game in genreal. Jettomero is a clumsy huge robot and controlling it feels a bit like if B.U.D. from Grow Home had become a teenager. Yeah it's awkward! But this game requires very little of you in the walking around part so that doesn't really matter. Sure, you should not crush the humans on these small planets, but honestly that's just impossible. The story starts when Jettomero suddenly wakes up and feel like it's his call to help humanity somehow. So he travels around to different places too see what he can do. Mostly it's nothing, or maybe scare away a little storm (and in the meantime trample about five skyscrapers), but there is something waiting for him on certain planets. When you find those, a QTE battle ensues. After every "boss battle", a part of Jettomero's memory becomes accessible but has to be decrypted in a simple minigame that I really enjoyed. The game is super repetitive and simple but that didn't bother me at all in this case. I had a great time.​

XoZzxHv.png

Game #109: Windstorm
Started 2 Jul. 2018 - Completed 2 Jul. 2018
Verdict: Could have been great if it had a story.

This is so close to being a great game about horses and horse riding, but it does some stuff so bad that it hurts me. The game is based on a series of movies and books about a girl and a stereotypical "wild stallion that only one person can handle". The game has a sort of open world part where you are free to ride around a very nice looking huge map with fields, forests and hills. Here you can find collectibles and some random quests. After each venture out in the big world, or after doing a couple of "main quests", Windstorm will require some care to be at his best. You have to take care of his hooves, groom him and that sort of thing. It's very basic but good enough. The so called main quests are were the game falls completely flat. There is no story to find here what so ever. The quests are separated into different categories like pursuits, races and collection of different kinds. A girl asks you to go find her cow that wandered off, so you go and search a big area for the cow that is standing somewhere in there. Or a horse ran away so go get it, or the clumsy stable boy lost another sack of apples and you have to go collect them, or your grandfather left some collectible statues for you to pick up inside an area. And of course the more standard races like cross- country jumping, just racing between points and so on. One positive thing about those are that you can go back to those and race against your ghosts. Sadly, the animations are another annoyance They are pretty terrible. Windstorm is about as animated as a car in a bad car game. There is no reaction from him in any way if you run into a wall, he just flips around and keeps going. He doesn't have any turning animations so the model just rotates. It's hard to explain but it's just super stiff. That goes for all the other animals you see too. This is not a huge negative, it still feels good running around in the open world parts. Despite all the faults, I would say it's still the best horse focused game I have played. Would definitely recommend it to kids who like horses, but not for full price.​

_

Master Post!

Last edited:

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
68. Detective Gallo

Decent Adventure game, but Gallo's movement was quite slow despite the game having about a dozen screens to travel between. I did get lost a couple of times and wish the game had an 'objectives' tab or a hint tab to tell you what to do next.

Oct 26, 2017
Belarus
Main Post part 2

-------

58. Assassin's Creed™: Director's Cut Edition - 12 hours
Surprisingly, this game is much better than I remember it. Back then I really hated it because of its repetitive nature and overall clunkiness, but now I finished it and even liked after all (ending are still abrupt trash though). Yeah, it still feels like a prototype for a real game, but at least villains and the actual storyline was infinitely better and memorable than everything that came after it.

Bosh

Oct 26, 2017
MAIN THREAD

2133521-Zelda-Gold_256x256.png

#39: The Legend of Zelda (7-5-2018) | 8/10 | NES C | ~ 8 Hours | Recommend: M
#
Overall - 8 | The one that started it all! Still holds up today very well
Gameplay - 8.4 | Satisfying gameplay with a good variety of enemies. Some convoluted puzzles
Sound - 8 | Not a ton of tunes but all of them are good
Story/Online -7 | Not really a focal point
Asking Price- 8.67 | Ton of content, especially for a game made in 1986

Deleted member 1759

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Europe
Main Post

#47: CAYNE (PC) | 2.8h | July 04 | ★★★½

Pretty good considering it's a free game. Pretty good graphics (especially the cutscenes) and the atmosphere was quite tense. The puzzles were well designed as well. I enjoyed the story but it was pretty standard and not really something to highlight.

#48: Mercury Blue: Mini Episode (PC) | 0.7h | July 05 | ★½

Yet another F2P adventure game. Well, it tried a bit too hard to be funny and get some Borderlands vibes going. Your robot companion is saying fuck more often than other words and it can get a bit annoying. The puzzles were way too easy and the plot was pretty meh. Experienced two game breaking bugs as well and had to start a new game twice.

#49: KC:D – From the Ashes (PC) | 5.9h | July 06 | ★★½

I loved the main game and hate to say that I was quite disappointed by the first proper DLC. From the Ashes doesn't really offer anything if you have already completed the main game and don't feel like starting a new game. You have enough money to just build the whole done without paying real attention. You can invite/recruit some NPCs you've met along the way but that's pretty much it. No new quests, no new story, nothing really except a barebone SimCity. But I think you'll enjoy it if you haven't completed the game yet or started a new playthrough because your village will generate some income and you can just check back on your village every now and then between other quests and use the money it has made to continue building.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
69. Super Dangerous Dungeons

I beat the game in 2ish hours and overall I quite enjoyed it. It's a simple 2D platformer, that may not appeal to most 2D platforming aficionados but it is a neat game overall and a good entry level for younger players to get an idea of how 2D platformers play.

rahji

Oct 25, 2017
10. Unravel 2 (PS4) Finished at 7/4/2018 Time: ~6 hours

A really charming platformer which shines when you choose to play it in couch coop mode. So many funny/strange things can happen when you tie knots, jump around furiously or try to coordinate your 2 yarn buddies together to solve a puzzle. The real action happens in front of the TV screen because you and your partner are constantly talking to each other about the best approach of the puzzle. I enjoyed that a lot. Gameplaywise, it was a bit lackluster because I didn't feel the weight of my character when I jumped around. When you jump around with Mario, it just feels right. In this game, there was something missing. Maybe the responsiveness, maybe the "weight". But on the other hand you are made of yarn, so whatever. Another point of criticism is the length of the game. 7 levels which each last for about an hour is not very much content for a 20 € game. You really have to do the bonus levels to get enough playtime for your money.

11. Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 (PS4) Finished at 7/5/2018 Time: ~12 hours

This was the first Call of Duty for me since Modern Warfare. I played through the whole campaign but haven't touched the multiplayer or the zombie mode (yet). The first 2-3 levels I was a little bit overwhelmed by the sheer amount of action that was going on my screen. Having never played any shooters on a console I had trouble recognizing enemies when they were far away. I was overwhelmed by the abilites at first. It is a good shooter with a solid story with a nice background story for the people who really pay attention to details. I didn't see the story behind the story, I just read it up after I beat it. I could imagine that I would play another Call of Duty in the future, but not a multiplayer only title.

Coming up next: Ace Attorney - Trials and Tribulations! Already at the last case. Or it will be Call of Duty: Black Ops 3.

Bosh

Oct 26, 2017
MAIN THREAD

7278343bd5a08d0d346f20a85ed507d857c52cb9_128.jpg

#40: Kirby's Adventure (7-6-2018) | 9/10 | NES C | ~ 3 Hours | Recommend: Y
#
Overall - 9 | A childhood favorite I finally finished as an Adult. It still holds its charm and gameplay.
Gameplay - 9.4 | Beautiful worlds, a good variety of enemies and some great boss fights.
Sound - 9 | This is the soundtrack I associate as one of the best on the NES
Story/Online - 7 | Barebones, similar to a lot of games from this time period.
Asking Price- 9 | This game has had a huge lasting appeal on me. One of the NES best!

Dazraell

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Poland
header.jpg

36. Hitman GO: Definitive Edition
Platform: PC (Steam) | Time played: 4 hours | Beaten in July
Square Enix "Go" games has a lot of positive rep, so I decided to give it a shot. Hitman GO is based on a neat idea. It's basically a board game set in the Hitman universe. Square Enix translated Hitman into this format quite well. There is always one main objective - go to certain point or assasinate a target, but every location has it's own set of optional challenges. If you want to play something in a spare time, Hitman GO is a game worth to consider.

header.jpg

37. The Next BIG Thing
Platform: PC (Steam) | Time played: 5 hours | Beaten in July
I consider myself a fan of adventure games made by Pendulo Studios. Weirdly enough, I never played The Next BIG Thing, despite having it on my backlog for years. Summer is a good opportunity to finally correct that mistake. The Next BIG Thing is a quite different game from Runaway series. It's funnier, more wackier and has a lot of weird characters that are just hilarious. The concept may sound like a recipe for a disaster, but this crazy mix works as intended. The only thing I didn't liked was simplicity of puzzles and this annoying puzzle with tango. That scene when Liz started dancing was worth it, though.

JPZj8sG.jpg

38. Detective Pikachu
Platform: 3DS | Time played: 10 hours | Beaten in July
A bolt of brilliance. Honestly, this is the one of the most bizarre ideas for a game you can have. What's even more weirder, it actually works. Detective Pikachu shows the world of Pokemon in a completely new way, it's a very fresh take on a franchise. Basically, it's a combination of Telltale's adventure games with Professor Layton series - a story-driven adventure game where your main objective are cases to solve and investigations that requires interaction with NPCs and Pokemons. Gameplay is easy and sometimes feels a little too repetitive, but humor overshadows a lot of flaws.

i4hQhQU.jpg

39. Star Wars: Episode I - Racer
Platform: PC (GOG) | Time played: 11 hours | Beaten in August
Episode I: Racer is in my Top 5 of Star Wars games, so when GOG recently added the game to their library, it quickly became a must play in my list for 2018. Completed an entire campaign as Dud Bolt (he's a cool dude, don't judge). Loved it, it still gives thrills even after 19 years. What suprises me is why we never had another podracing game beside Racer sequel. EA has exclusive rights for Star Wars and talented studio like Criterion. Why they didn't gave them green light for a new podracing game is just baffling.

header.jpg

40. Oxenfree
Platform: PC (GOG) | Time played: 4 hours | Beaten in August
I've heard a lot about Oxenfree, so I had this on my radar for a while. It was a long time coming, but I finally played it myself and wow, what an amazing game. I really liked it. Oxenfree is a very unique take on an adventure game genre. If you think about it, this game is kinda hard to explain properly, but believe me - it's totally worth it. I was captivated about how well-written a main cast of characters were. Props for the writers. What I also liked was a spooky atmosphere, that awesome dialogue system and the way they used player choices to shape the narrative. This game is a little gem. If you never played it, just try it.

header.jpg

41. A Story About My Uncle
Platform: PC (Steam) | Time played: 3 hours | Beaten in September
It was suprisingly good. A Story About My Uncle is basically a low-budget Portal where instead of creating portals, puzzles were designed around jumping between platforms. It was short, but very relaxing... well, beside very annyoing and demanding chapter in the Ice Cave.

header.jpg

42. Assassin's Creed: Origins
Platform: PS4 | Time played: 74 hours | Beaten in September | Platinum Trophy
I've played multiple Assassin's Creed games in 2018 and after a while I've felt burned out with the same formula. Origins is a breath of the fresh air that this series really needed... or so I thought. Ancient Egypt is an outstanding setting for a game, I loved what devs did with Bayek and Aya and the overall changes in the franchise. It was clearly inspired by The Witcher 3 and it did really good for Origins. Sadly, it's not a same experience. There is a lot of inspirations from the gameplay perspective, but I think the world is too bloated and had too many pointless points of interests. Clearing the world map was a painful chore and main story wasn't really that interesting. Quests were a big improvement, but most of them ended up as simple fetch-quests that never added anything to characters arcs or lore. So yeah, I liked Origins, but there are some parts of the game that were only okay.

header.jpg

43. Another World: 20th Anniversary Edition
Platform: PS4 | Time played: 3 hours | Beaten in September | 100% Completion
Well, that was fast. I've heard a lot about Another World, it was a frequent guest in my favourite gaming magazine from the 90s, labeled as one of the best games of its time. I never played it until this month when the 20th Anniversary Edition was released for PS Plus owners. It's a unique game that feels very cinematic. It doesn't have any user interface, life bars, or even tutorials. You need to figure everything on your own, which was very refreshing. I've had some problems with few combat encounters with multiple guards, but I managed to beat this and unlocked every trophy.

header.jpg

44. Assassin's Creed: Origins - Discovery Tour (DLC)
Platform: PS4 | Time played: 8 hours | Beaten in September | 100% Completion
Assassin's Creed was always inspired by real historical events, but it was never properly outlined outside of the codex entries. Discovery Tour is a very original idea that brings a completely new way to experience Origins. Ubisoft really nailed it and did something unique, a whole map of vanilla Origins filled with 75 excellent guided tours. Every tour offers a lot interesting facts about history of Ancient Egypt, its rulers, cities, pyramids, landmarks or even daily life of regular citizens. It was an awesome experience and I hope we will have more interactive tours like that in other games based on historical events. Yes, I'm talking about you Kingdom Come: Deliverance.

header.jpg

45. Assassin's Creed: Origins - The Hidden Ones (DLC)
Platform: PS4 | Time played: 8 hours | Beaten in September | 100% Completion
When I heard that Ubisoft was inspired by The Witcher 3 expansions, I was intrigued what they're going to do with Origins post-release content. The Hidden Ones is dissapointing, it can't be compared to the amazing Hearts of Stone. I expected it will be more of the same as the vanilla campaign, but I thought that they'll at least try to do some new things that were builded on the original foundations. Nope. Sinai is filled with the familiar outposts, papyruses, treasures, animal dens, Phylakes, tombs, etc. Same old, same old. Main storyline is even more dissapointing. Ending saves it, though. I hope The Curse of the Pharaohs will be better. The Hidden Ones didn't delivered.

header.jpg

46. Medal of Honor
Platform: PC (Steam) | Time played: 6 hours | Beaten in September
There was a time when Medal of Honor was considered as one of the better known IPs. I still remember the original game on PSX and how much fun I had with playing it. Danger Close Games tried to bring some relevance to this old franchise with a reboot that was released in 2010. While I like the setting, Afghanistan had a lot of potential, but a game itself feels very dry and souless. Medal of Honor is just another military shooter inspired by Modern Warfare. Nothing more. It's obvious that devs tried to focus on authenticity and deal with a danger that these soldiers are exposed to, but this neat idea never really went anywhere beyond some cutscenes. I was lucky I got to the end. Seriously, I got so many game-breaking bugs, which required me to restart missions multiple times in the row that I considered of dropping this title. Which is kinda funny considering we are talking about a 6 hour campaign.

header.jpg

47. Assassin's Creed: Origins - The Curse of the Pharaohs (DLC)
Platform: PS4 | Time played: 15 hours | Beaten in September | 100% Completion
Finally! My playthrough of AC Origins is wrapped up after 105 hours. The Curse of the Pharaohs feels like a proper expansion. It not only builds upon the Origins formula, but adds a lot of new stuff as well. I really liked supernatural events and exploring areas based on Egyptian Afterlife. Aaru, or The Field of Reeds was my favourite. Story felt interesting and new characters were more memorable than the ones from the main campaign. If you didn't played it, I totally recommend to play this expansion. It's much better than The Hidden Ones.

header.jpg

48. Guardians of the Galaxy: The Telltale Series
Platform: PC (Steam) | Time played: 8 hours | Beaten in October | 5 episodes | 100% Completion
It seemed fitting to play this series after a recent turmoil at Telltale Games. Guardians is a weird game - it makes a bad first impression, but quickly grews into something much better than I initially expected. While the second, third and fourth episodes were very strong, a finale was kinda underwhelming. I really liked Telltale's interpretation of Guardians and a dynamic between all members of the team. They felt really familiar to characters we known from the movies, but we still had some cool suprises on the way. Story was interesting, dialogues and situations were funny, action scenes stood out compared to other Telltale's adventures. The only thing I didn't liked was a main villain. Hala was an equally menacing and interesting villain like Malekith from Thor: The Dark World and this really says something...

kfFsL7h.jpg

49. Deltarune
Platform: PC | Time played: 3,5 hours | Beaten in November
If you asked me a week ago what game I will be playing, I wasn't expecting to write about a new game set in the Undertale universe. But here we are! Toby Fox made a great suprise for my birthday with this stealth release. Deltarune is suprisingly good for a free game. I really liked a new set of characters, playing with a party and refined combat. While it lacks emotional punch that an original Undertale had, it is still an oustanding game in its own right. It's also a first chapter in a much larger story. So well, I will patiently wait for whatever comes next.

header.jpg

50. Homefront
Platform: PC (Steam) | Time played: 4 hours | Beaten in November
Homefront's campaign is a bit of a mess. Kaos Studios had an interesting concept for a story, but it's obvious they couldn't properly execute a vision they had for this game. Campaign is decent and has a lot of unique locations, but something is clearly missing here. Characters could be more developed, story could be more impactful, missions could be more varied and memorable, etc. But overall, it's not that bad. Homefront made a better impression on me than Call of Duty: Ghosts and a Medal of Honor reboot.

Rczugwe.jpg

51. Spyro the Dragon | Reignited Trilogy
Platform: PS4 | Time played: 8 hours | Beaten in November | Platinum Trophy
I was really hyped for this. Spyro is my favourite series from the original PlayStation, so Reignited Trilogy was easily one of my most anticipated games for 2018. Spyro the Dragon is a game that started it all, its also the weakest in the series. But I still remember a lot of levels I've played as a kid, nostalgia factor is very strong here. Toys for Bob did a fantastic job with restoring this game - it looks different, but is still faithful to the original designs. So, now it's time for Ripto's Rage!

R90lNMr.jpg

52. Gears of War: Ultimate Edition
Platform: Xbox One | Time played: 6 hours | Beaten in November
Played it in co-op with my friend. Ultimate Edition is a solid remake of Gears 1, I was eager to revisit this series and finally beat the campaign as a second protagonist (Dom Santiago). The Coaltion made some subtle changes in the formula, but core gameplay is the same. It is mostly the same game I played on my dusty 360, but prettier and sharper. What I really liked is the fact that Ultimate Edition included new chapters that were added by People Can Fly in a PC version. They weren't anything special, but thanks to them the game had a better transition between Act IV and Act V.

1yLFIkO.jpg

53. Spyro 2: Ripto's Rage | Reignited Trilogy
Platform: PS4 | Time played: 12 hours | Beaten in December | Platinum trophy
Spyro 2 was the best entry in a whole series. The case is exactly the same with Reignited Trilogy. Ripto's Rage introduced a lot of subtle changes in gameplay formula, which overall made it a better and more cohesive experience. Scenes with squabbles between Spyro and Ripto were genuinely funny. Hunting for orbs never got old. Really liked a bigger variety of locations and challenges that were presented. There were some minigames that felt a little bit janky, but I never felt bored or annoyed to the point that I refused to 100% the game. Enjoyed it to the point I unlocked a Platinum trophy.

Q8Utzj8.jpg

54. Spyro 3: Year of the Dragon | Reignited Trilogy
Platform: PS4 | Time played: 12 hours | Beaten in December | Platinum trophy
Spyro 3 is a weird game. It's clearly more refined than Ripto's Rage, but it also made a few steps back. Year of the Dragon has even bigger variety of locations, they added much more stuff and hefty amount of minigames to complete. But it kinda jumped the shark. I still had a lot of fun with it. While searching for dragon eggs weren't as absorbing as hunt for orbs or dragon statues, Year of the Dragon was a great experience. Similar to every other Spyro game on my 2018 list, I also unlocked a Platinum trophy. Didn't made 100% of challenges, though.

QppcnDx.jpg

55. Dragon's Lair | Dragon's Lair Trilogy
Platform: PC | Time played: 40 minutes | Beaten in December
Dragon's Lair is essentially an cartoon movie with quick-time events, released in times before they were even popular. It's very impressive what they managed to do with this, considering it was released in early 80s. While I really liked a final sequence in titular dragon's lair, the other ones were only okay. There was a lot of repetitive scenes, everything felt very disjointed and lacked a more cohesive story. But we are are talking about times, where usually a first game was more of an experiment than a proper experience.

iithpU4.jpg

56. Dragon's Lair II: Time Warp | Dragon's Lair Trilogy
Platform: PC | Time played: 1 hour | Beaten in December
Time Warp is objectively speaking a best game in Dragon's Lair Trilogy. It felt like a very cohesive tale, that was clearly planned from a beginning to its very end. It has a lot of fun scenarios, substantial amount of diversity, great humor (Dirk escaping from his angry mother-in-law and visit at Beethoven house were the highlight). What was even cooler, was an addition of artifacts to hunt during events. Found them all.

b5THR9z.jpg

57. Space Age | Dragon's Lair Trilogy
Platform: PC | Time played: 35 minutes | Beaten in December
It felt really similar to a first game, but set in space. And with a completely new character. Great idea, but just like original Dragon's Lair it felt very disjointed. Constant jumping between new scenarios were sometimes very confusing. Unlike a first game, this time they tried to tell a story, but it never grew on me. I didn't liked a new characters. Sadly, there was nothing memorable in them.

My 2018 Post - Part 1 (#01 - #35)

Last edited:

Spyware

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
K298a5T.png

Game #110: Yono and the Celestial Elephants
Started 3 Jul. 2018 - Completed 4 Jul. 2018
Verdict: Utterly adorable.

Yono is the most adorable main character I have seen in ages. It's a puffy elephant kid, in a game with an absolutely wonderful graphic style and with superb animations. It's made by a single guy and it's really impressive. The game is very simple, so much that I would say it's more of a kids game perhaps in the gameplay aspect of it, where the main point is to solve puzzles which are often of the push-blocks-type. But it also deals with some heavy topics about freedom, oppression, consumerism, the meaning of life and other stuff like that. In a very nice way I must say. I also need to speak a little about the absolutely outstanding optional Swedish version. This is the first game I have preferred to play in my native language! That's big! It's due to the wonderful dialogue that really feels natural in the different settings and situations. The characters speak in a way that I have never seen in a game before. The English version is probably great too (it was made by a swede, but the original language of the game is English) but I couldn't switch away from this adorable Swedish dialogue.

EyDXiEk.png

Game #111: Belladonna
Started 4 Jul. 2018 - Completed 4 Jul. 2018
Verdict: Eerie point and click with a helpful main character.

This game is made by the same guy that made Yono. They couldn't be more different tho! This is a tiny little point and click about death, reanimation, love, life and morals. As you can probably see from the pic it's a Frankenstein inspired story but it with a really fresh spin, and I really liked it. It's not a horror game, but it's very eerie and dark. I really loved the main character! Her comments were funny and interesting, but also helpful so I would say it's almost impossible to get stuck.​

tYdCQky.png

Game #112: Visual Out
Started 4 Jul. 2018 - Completed 6 Jul. 2018
Verdict: A great accessible "metroidvania".

Another game made by a single developer (not the same one tho). It's a metroidvania style game where you play a rogue program that explores a dying computer. You get some really interesting abilities that help you manipulate data so that you can get further into the computer. The visuals are cool but I actually had a hard time with a section due to how the visual effects. It far far from a major problem tho. I really enjoyed this game, and I have to mention that just recently there was a patch making the game super accessible! In the options you can now "cheat" a bit and give yourself unlimited energy, invincibility and other such things. The patch also added stuff to make speedrunning the game easier. I really must applaud the dev for this!​

gF6VP4L.png

Game #113: STARBO
Started 6 Jul. 2018 - Completed 6 Jul. 2018
Verdict: Absolutely terrifying, in a positive way.

Aaaand another game made by one person. That was apparently the theme for this post! This one is a short horror game that is over in about an hour (or a little longer if you get killed a lot) and it was absolutely terrifying. I have played other horror games lately and while I think I have played better this year, none has made me feel this way specifically. Good horror games are tense and atmospheric, with some scares and some lingering horror. Which this one also has a bunch of. But that's different from the feeling when you're being chased through winding corridors by a terrifying enemy that makes horrible noises that echo in the halls. That's the most fearsome thing for me. I dislike the sudden frantic chases in some other horror games so I might be contradicting myself a little here. But I think the difference is that in this one you can't move very fast. It never feels "frantic". Great experience!​

_

Master Post!

Bastion

Oct 27, 2017
Game 1-Never Stop Sneakin(2017)-Switch-Beaten on January 1
-Overall I enjoyed this game but it really was way to monotonous and way too long. The game is supposed to bring back memories of Metal Gear Solid but it really doesn't, at least for me as MGS is my GOAT. This game has you doing the exact same thing for about 12 hours or so. Same environments, same bosses, same everything, for some reason I kept playing as it was enjoyable but could have been so much better. 7/10

Game 2-Life is Strange Before the Storm Episode 3 Hell is Empty(2017)-PS4-Beaten on January 2
-This was a great conclusion to a great game. Really enjoyed this more than the original. 9/10

Game 3-Call of Duty WWII(2017)-PS4-Beaten on January 12
-Really enjoyed the 5 hour single player campaign. I had been waiting for COD to go back to WWII for a long time and I thought it was great. Hope they keep goin back to WWII e dry couple of years. 9/10

Game 4-Danganronpa V3(2017)-Vita-Beaten on January 15
-I have played and finished the entire series and loved everyone one. This was great but I must say that it is too long in my opinion. 60 hours! About 20 hours too long. 9/10

Game 5-Burly Men at Sea(2017)-Vita-Beaten in January 16
-This was a lovely little point and click adventure game. I played through several endings but after getting the same endings a couple of times, called it quits. 8/10

Game 6-Destiny 2(2017)-PS4-Beaten on January 29
-I really enjoyed the main campaign. While the story was really nothing special, the gunplay is great! I look forward to the Season pass once's it is on sale. 9/10

Game 7-Batman The Enemy Within Episode 4 What Ails You(2018)-Beaten on February 1
-This was my favorite episode of the entire Telltale Batman series. I loved it! Can't wait for the finale! 10/10

Game 8-Planet of the Apes The Last Frontier(2017)-PS4-Beaten on February 10
-I really enjoyed playing this adventure game with my family. It was from Sony's Playlink series that lets you choose decisions using you phone. It wasn't as good as Hidden Agenda but still a good time with a group of people. The animations and transitions were very janky so he graphics weren't great. 7/10

Game 9-Shadow of The Colossus(2018)-PS4-Beaten on February 15
-I played the original on PS2 and the remaster on PS3 but never beat the game until the remake. This game is magical and I just loved it. I do wish it was in 3D like the PS3one. Just a mesmerizing experience and one I will always remember. 10/10

Game 10-Bayonetta(2018)-Switch-Beaten on February 19
-After owning the Xbox 360and WiiU version, I finally played and beat Bayonetta and what a ride it was! Great game in the same vein as DMC. Loved it and look forward to the second game soon. 9/10

Game 11-The Last Guardian(2016)-PS4-Beaten on February 23
-After loving the remake of Shadow of the Colossus recently and loving Ico preciously, I decided to play The Last Guardian and have to say that this game is a masterpiece. It is an awe inspiring game. The environments, the music, the lighting, and Trico. My gosh, Trico. Trico could just as well be a real animal. I have never seem anything like it outside of real animals. Masterclass and one of my favorite games of all time. It is the only game that has ever hit me emotionally. I looked at the Metacrotc scores and can't believe quite a few outlets had given it 6 or 7's. There has never been anything like this game. Between Ico, Shaodow of the Colossus and the Last Guardian, Ueda is a true artist and one of the greatest game designers of all time. I sure hope he makes more games in the future as no one makes anything quite like these games. 10/10

Game 12-The Lost Bear(2017)-PSVR-Beaten on February 26
-I loved this charming little sidescrolling platformer. I am a spectator sitting in a theatre but am also controlling the action onscreen. The environment around me changes as the environment in the game changes. It only lasts an hour or so but I loved it! 9/10

Game 13-Bayonetta 2(2018)-Switch-Beaten on March 1
-While I enjoyed this game, I didn't like it as much as th first game which I beat a couple weeks ago. I didn't like the characters as much in this game, Bayonetta's short hair, or the fact that it seemed like a boss rush game. It seemed like it went from boss to boss to boss. Still fun though, 8/10

Game 14-Old Man's Journey(2018)-Switch-Beaten on March 2
-This was a short and very relaxing puzzle adventure game that was a nice game to play after Bayonetta 2. 8/10

Game 15-A Normal Lost Phone(2018)-Switch-Beaten on March 3
-I really enjoyed this visual novel as it was a very unique experience. I really enjoy these brief, inexpensive adventure games in between the bigger games. 10/10

Game 16-Moss(2018)-PSVR-Beaten on March 5
-I absolutely adored this game and is one of my favorite VR games I have played. I really want more games from this perspective as I get no motion sickness from playing whatsoever. Just a delight to play and can't wait for Book 2.10/10

Game 17-Theseus(2017)-PSVR-Beaten on March 6
-I know this game didn't get good reviews but I really enjoyed it for the $10 I spent on it. It was a third person action game where I am looking down from where the camera would be viewing the acting. After playing this and Moss, I really like perspective in VR because I don't get motion sickness. I wish it was longer and that's the only negative thing to say about it. 8/10

Game 18-Life is Strange Before the Storm-Bonus Episode Farewell(2018)-PS4-Beaten on March 8
-I thought this was a very slow episode even though it was only an hour long. It was just boring. It had a powerful ending though. The ending brings it up a lot. 7/10

Game 19-Florence(2018)-iOS-Beaten on March 8
-This was the first iOS game I have ever finished to completion. It helped that it was only an hour or so. It was a nice little adventure/puzzle game that was very chill and relaxing. 8/10

Game 20-The Inpatient(2018)-PSVR-Beaten on March 10
-I'm not sure how I feel about this one. It was ok. The graphics weren't great and moving was so slow in the game. Maybe it's why I didn't get motion sickness so I shouldn't complain too much. The game also got extremely dark the last third of the game. 6/10

Game 21-Layers of Fear(2018)-Switch-Beaten on March 10
-This game started out very slowly but then picked up and I ended up enjoying this horror game. Nothing too great but it had some jump scares and creepy music to keep me on the edge of my seat. 7/10

Game 22-Layers of Fear Inheritance DLC(2018)-Switch-Beaten on March 11
-This was the DLC for Layers if Fear and it was an interesting look at what happened in the game from the daughters perspective. Plays the same as the original game which is good. 7/10

Game 23-The Lego Movie Videogame(2014)-Vita-Beaten on March 19
-Every so often I like to play a Lego game as they are generally pretty short, easy games and are just fun. There is something about collecting all those legos that just doesn't get old. 7/10

Game 24-Metal Slug 3(2015)-Vita-Beaten on March 22
-This game was originally released for the Neo Geo back in 2000. I enjoyed the game but it was very hard which makes sense for an arcade game. Luckily it has unlimited continues so I eventually beat the game. There is some slowdown but that didn't bother me much and it is only about 90 minutes long. 7/10

Game 25-BioShock 2 from the BioShock Collection(2016)-Xbox One-Beaten on March 29
-I had previously beaten BioShock and BioShock Infinite and enjoyed both of those games. I finally got around to BioShock 2 and I enjoyed it about the same. I have always thought that the gunplay in this series was weak and this game made me think no different. I could tell the graphics were last gen but I still really enjoyed the atmosphere of this game. Now on to Minerva's Den. 8/10

Game 26-Little Red Lie(2018)-Vita-Beaten on March 30
-Half way to 52! To say I enjoyed this visual novel game would not be the right words. It was depressing while I was playing and really the only game to ever make me feel down for quite some time after finishing. I thought it was a though provoking game and one worth experiencing. 9/10

Game 27-BioShock 2-Minerva's Den from the BioShock Collection(2016)-Xbox One-Beaten on March 30
-This was more of BioShock 2. I know it gets great ratings but I didn't like it any more or less that the main game. 8/10

Game 28-Batman the Enemy Within Episode 5 Same Stitch(2018)-PS4-Beaten on March 31
-Good finale to a good series. These Telltale Batman games have been my favorite of all the games Telltale has made. This final episode tied up all the stories but left the door open for more Joker in the future. I look forward to it! 9/10

Game 29-Reverie(2018)-Vita-Beaten on April 3
-I really enjoyed this Zeldaesque game. It was six hours of exploring and puzzle solving with some decent boss fights. Just a good old time and highly recommended. 9/10

Game 30-Garage(2018)-Switch-Beaten on May 14
-Well it has been a while since I finished a game but this one was awesome! I loved the dark atmosphere and music. I liken this game to a slower paced Hotline Miami with horror elements. Loved it! 9/10

Game 31-Subsurface Circular(2018)-Switch-Beaten on May 27
-This was a short little visual novel that I enjoyed. It wasn't my favorite but still had a decent story and is over in two hours. I am playing Detroit Become Human right now and this has some similar themes. They play nothing like each other though. I think more visual novels should be short like this one. 8/10

Game 32-Another Lost Phone: Laura's Story-Switch-Beaten on May 29
-This game is relaxing to play with the music playing in the background but the story gets serious and just makes me want to keep searching the phone and reading more and more about what is going on. It's short but I am good with that and hope more games in this series continue to come out. Love them! 10/10

Game 33-London Heist from PSVR Worlds-PSVR-Beaten on May 29
-I really enjoyed this short game and really look forward to Blood and Truth when it comes out. One of my favorite vr experiences so far. 9/10

Game 34-Quarantine Circular-PC Via GPD Win-Beaten on June 2
-This was Mike Bithell's follow up to Subsurface Circular. I enjoyed Subsurface more but this was pretty good too. 7/10

Game 35-Emily is Away-PC Via GPD Win-Beaten on June 3
-I loved this game as someone that remembers the AOL instant messaging days. Such a cool game but I also think it could have been expanded on a lot more. Looking forward to playing the sequal next. 9/10

Game 36-Emily is Away Too-PC Via GDP Win-Beaten on June 3
-I loved this game even more that the original. It was longer and had you flipping back and forth between conversations on EOL Messenger which made it even more realistic. The only issue is how fast you had to type as there was a timer for some of the conversations. Looking forward to more of these games. 9/10

Game 37-Sara is Missing-PC Via GDP Win-Beaten on June 4
-I keep seeking out games like this that allow you to search phones and communicate with people to solve, in this case, the fact that Sara is missing. I just can't get enough of these games. They are very addictive! 9/10

Game 38-DFD Chapter 1-PC Via GPD Win-Beaten on June 8

Game 39-Detroit: Become Human-PS4-Beaten on June 10
-Such a great game. Just dripping with atmosphere. It's a modern day adventure/point and click game and it is so good. David Cage gets a lot of negative press but I have loved every single one of his games and this one is his best yet. 10/10

Game 40-DFD Chapter 2-PC Via GPD Win-Beaten on June 11

Game 41-Phantom Breaker Battlegrounds-Vita-Beaten on June 19
-A fun, brief beat em up. Nothing special, but good fun for about 2 hours. 7/10

Game 42-The Exorcist: Legion VR-PSVR-Beaten on June 21
-This cost $6.99 and for that it was good and scary. He issue is that it was about half an hour which is a tad brief. Debating whether I should buy episode 2 or wait for a sale on the season pass. 7/10

Game 43-Doodle Date-PC via GPD Win-Besten on June 23
-This was a very brief but unique game where I had to draw my date, among other things, and they were then incorporated into the story. It was only about half an hour long and it was ok at best. 6/10

Game 44-Dark Legion-PSVR-Beaten on June 29
-This was a really enjoyable shooter that was a lot of fun for several hours. For a game that is $10, it comes recommended from me. 7/10

Game 45-No Heroes Allowed VR-PSVR-Beaten on July 2
-One of my favorite vr games. It was so much fun! I loved the cute graphics, the atmosphere, the gameplay and the characters in the game. It was just so engaging and it is a genre I don't normaly play. VR made all the difference. 10/10

Game 46-Appollo 11 VR Experience-PSVR-Beaten on July 2
-Not really a game but it was a great experience for me as I love history. There a few gameplay elements but I preferred to just sit back and enjoy the show. 8/10

Game 47-Digital Domain's The Monkey King-PSVR-Beaten on July 3
-This was another VR experience but one that was very good. It's really wish there were more movies like this made in VR. The weakness was that it was very short and says that more episodes are coming. I will look forward to the next installment. 8/10.

Game 48-Final Fantasy 13-PC via GDP Win-Beaten on July 7
-Being able to play this on a portable really helped me finally finish his game. I really enjoyed the game even though it gets a lot of negativity thrown it's way. Looking forward to 13-2. 9/10

Game 49-The Awesone Adventures of Captain Spirit-PS4-Beaten on July 7
-This is a two hour precursor to Life is Strange 2. It was ok at best. Still looking forward to LoS2 and seeing how his little story fits into it. 6/10

LonestarZues

Oct 27, 2017
Master Post:
https://www.resetera.com/posts/3243362

52. The Last of Us - PS4 - 7/7 - 16 hours: The GOAT. Finished up my yearly playthrough and I thought it would be fitting to make it my 52th game of the year. Really nothing I can say that I haven't said before about this game other then it's a masterpiece.

53. Final Fantasy 12 - PS4 - 7/13 - 60 hours: Tried the game previously for about 5 hours and it didn't grab me. I decided to give it another shot and this time I really enjoyed the game. The gambit system is so well done and I'm surprised they didn't continue using it. Overall I enjoyed it and glad I gave it another chance.

Last edited:

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
70. Astebreed

Replayed it to try out the Arrange mode and while I generally suck at Bullet Hells, I enjoyed replaying it.

Chas Hodges

Nov 7, 2017
Work has been a real slog of late, and the time I've had to actually commit to any one title has been pretty minimal. As a teacher, my summer holiday starts in around a fortnight and I'm already putting together a list of games in my head that I want to play.

In the next couple weeks I plan to wrap up the in-game avatar achievements in Lumines Remastered (as its become my go-to relaxation game), and intend to get back on to The Pinball Arcade to 'beat' another of its tables soon. Then it's go, go, go for my time off to try and make a dent in my thousands strong backlog..!

KiDdYoNe

Oct 25, 2017
Failing miserably here but still going on.

Main Post

14. God of War

Not gonna say anything. Go and play it yourself.

15. Marvel Strike Force

New addiction since the new phone purchase. Been playing Contest of Champions previously but after selling my account and seing all those new things - I don't feel like starting over. Strike Force is another thing tho. Playing this stuff daily now and slowly climbing there. Pretty addictive if you're into +- old Final Fantasy combat and Marvel Universe.

16. Uncharted: Lost Legacy

Yeeeeeah. So Lost Legacy was pretty fucking good. Now the list of the Uncharted games in my head goes like this: U2 > U:LL > U4 > U3 > U1. Liked more stealth focused gameplay. Open world part was good too. Overall - they proved Uncharted can go on without Nathan Drake. Jokes, amazing graphics and views, gameplay and last hour of the game... oh what an hour that was. Still doesn't beat Uncharted 2 but it's really close.

17. inFamous: First Light

Pretty good addition for the Second Son. Nothing special but good overall.

18. Until Dawn

Wanted to play this one since the first glimpse in random PS Move trailer. It's a good game, it's just technical part destroying the vibe. Also, it's pretty slow paced and becoming obvious pretty quick. Still worse than most QD games but if you're into those kind of games, deffo check it out.

19. Deadpool

Yup. Picked it up on last sale when it was like $5 on store because of licence was going away from publisher or smth. Figured I'd pick it up because last time I played it it was pretty funny. Same this time. Average game, good jokes. Was playing on Ultraviolence this time from the begining, last fucking fight almost got to me. Controller took a hit for me, haha. Glad I have a spare old-almost-destroyed gamepad for these games.

Been playing some games in between too, but dropped most of them.
Dishonored 2 was kinda dissapointed but my friend told me you have to be in the mood for it. I was trying to just rush through so I think I'll get back to it in some time. Now I fear that same thing will happen with Prey tho :/
Shadow of the Colossus PS4 was dissapointing too. Bad controls and shitty camera is just too much for me these days. Looks like a great game overall but I just can't play it right now with a huge backlog behind my back.
Marvel Ultimate Alliance which I bought on sale. Not sure why but I guess it's a common thing to buy old games you won't play at all. Played for like 2-3 hrs and dropped it. Maybe will get back to it later.

Coming soon: countless of hours of Destiny 2 because of the Triumphs, Summer Event and Forsaken. Spider-Man 3 days after Forsaken release is no good. Also purchased most of the games of the autumn so will be playing those and Red Dead 2. Still need to buy Fallout 76 and RE2, but those are gonna wait for now.

Just finished Uncharted: Lost Legacy and trying to think what should I play next. Probably gonna play Wolf Among Us and hopefully Prey.

Oct 27, 2017
Main Post

33. Super Mario Bros. - NES
Completed 6/28/18
Score - 8/10

Still an incredibly fun experience with tight gameplay. I have always used the shortcuts since I was a kid and decided I would play through every single level and then count this one as complete. It was pretty fun and it really got challenging from world 6 and up. I remembered how to get through the last castle but it was still difficult. Great game.

4eUf.gif

34. Resident Evil 7 - PS4
Completed 7/4/18
Score - 8/10

Was super excited to finally play this and the beginning did not disappoint. I felt like my nerves were shot for the first couple of hours. I dabbled in the VR a bit but with a 2 year old at home it is tough to play long periods of time in there and not be aware of what's going on. I really enjoyed the gameplay and it felt like a FPS version of RE1. The puzzles were a little too simple and I have some issues at the end that I will cover in spoiler text. Overall I really enjoyed it and I look forward to what is next again!

I feel like from the ship to the end of the game was a major bummer. I hate the little ghost kid was the reason that all of this happened. I liked that the Baker family was good until she came...but why not just say the virus infected them or something. I hate the need to insert something like the kid into the game and then that answers everything. Until I got to the ship I felt that this was possibly the best RE. I don't feel that way after it. The last boss was also a let down. Meh.

FrigidRewardingDogwoodtwigborer-size_restricted.gif

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
71. Blue Sheep

It is VERY difficult for me to recommend this game outside of it feeling like a 'tech demo'. The gameplay works but it is a short and rather experimental kind of game, like if someone started off working on Unreal Engine and produced this game, but didn't get to put much time ironing it out and solidifying the models and how the character's body reacts to actions it does among other things.
Still for $2 I think it's a nice little game, but nothing too remarkable outside of the music.

Tambini

Oct 25, 2017
#35 Crash Bandicoot 7.5 PS4 - July 3rd - 6 hours
A game I'm very nostalgic for but I definitely know it's not perfect though it looks nice with a new coat of paint. Uneven difficulty and the poor hit detection bring down an otherwise good game.

#36 Call of Duty: WWII 7 Xbox One - July 8th - 6 hours
An overall enjoyable campaign with some good voice acting and some challenging missions. The story is watchable but the characters are copy and pasted straight from other WW2 movies and the 30fps in game cutscenes are jarring.

Last edited:

Deleted member 1759

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Europe
Main Post

#50: AER Memories of Old (PC) | 3.1h | July 08 | ★★★★

Lovely exploration/adventure game. Nothing special story-wise but I really enjoyed the music and overall atmosphere/aesthetics of the game.

#51: Dead Horizon (PC) | 0.3h | July 09 | ★★★½

Short but fun western adventure with an emphasis on the text-based story. It's free, so check it out and make sure to read the "lore book" which can be accessed via the menu once you have finished the game.

#52: Star Wars: Republic Commando (PC) | 6.9h | July 11 | ★★½

Pretty mediocre first-person shooter set during the Clone Wars. Your squadmates have some fun lines but are kinda dumb when it comes to engaging the enemy. You can order them around, though. The gameplay gets a bit repetitive and sometimes the enemies just keep spawning which can be somewhat annoying.

Larrikin

Oct 25, 2017
Main Post!

20. Pokemon Platinum Version
AQJYQyM.png

March. 8/10

Not my favourite region but as a game this version stands out above many others. The difficulty curve is top notch and the Pokemon selection is excellent.

22. West of Loathing
header.jpg

March. 7/10

Funny, charming, silly... this game is everything I wanted it to be. Not quite the same level of magic as Kingdom but in a much more approachable package. Gameplay itself is a little on the 'only ok' side but a thoroughly enjoyable experience.

23. Horizon Zero Dawn
C5H-xX0WMAE9izJ.jpg

April. 8/10

It takes a long time to get into its stride but this game was an absolute blast once I had gotten my rhythm. Unfortunate that the first half of the game really doesn't capture the depth of things and left me unimpressed and unwilling to dive deep into the side-quests available, but once I'd finished I was left with a very positive outlook.

24. Game Dev Tycoon
377182-game-dev-tycoon-linux-front-cover.jpg

April. 8/10

What a lovely little tycoon game <3 I love game dev and I thought Game Dev Story would be my one and only but this pretty handily knocked it off that podium. Anyone remotely interested in game design, or more specifically video game history owes themselves a look at this game

25. Florence
31968.jpg

April. 8.5/10

A beautiful experience. Initially a recommendation from a friend of mine who's sister worked on the game but I whole-heartedly forward that recommendation. The way this game uses mechanics as storytelling devices is genius and the narrative itself is worth the 30 minutes it takes to finish.

26. Pokemon Gold Version
111271.jpg

June. 9/10

The perfect pokemon game? Maybe. My personal favourite? Easily. The pokemon selection, the world, the character designs... everything in this game speaks to me. Plus they have a Bug Catching Contest, and I love bugs. Speaking of...

27. Hollow Knight
header.jpg

July. 10/10

Holy moly what the hell. I hate Metroidvania games. I hate them. I cannot stand their backtracking and goalless nonsense. They are stupid. But I fucking love this game. I love it to pieces. Maybe it's a magical combination of aesthetic and gameplay (the dark souls inspired combat design makes the exploration feel rewarding rather than tedious) or maybe I just really really like bugs but this is a goddamn masterpiece. If it can turn me around on Metroidvanias I don't know what else to call it.

28. Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon
header.jpg

July. 6.5/10

Considering it was some extra bonus thing on the side this game is great. Each character is unique and useful, being able to switch between the four at any moment is very fun, and the bosses are memorable. Frustrating though, it plays full into the NEStalgia and has some of the same failings as games of those days.

29. Beyond Good and Evil
knLHaIH.png

July. 6.5/10

Was intrigued by the Beyond Good and Evil 2 trailers from the last couple E3's and decided to give this game a shot. I probably would've adored it in its day, and while it hasn't aged badly it certainly feels lacking. But it's relatively short, and there's a lot stuffed into a small package and I respect what they were going for overall. Puzzles and stealth and combat are all... ok. Sometimes even decent, but at the core not much to write home about. The ending is also very odd.

30. Gunman Clive 2
header.jpg

July. 7/10

Like its predecessor this game is charming as heck. It's all nonsense approach is loveable as ever, and it never prompts the user to "look at how crazy we are!" it just lives its truth. A little frustrating towards the end with unforseeable obstacles and less than amazing level gimmicks but a great game overall.
31. Kamiko
4245_banner.jpg

July. 5.5/10

Don't take the score the wrong way, the game is good. Fun for what it is. Short enough to not overstay its welcome. Just not enough for me to put it on the same pedestal as others. It's great value and a good way to kill some time.

32. Steamworld Heist
header.jpg

July. 8.5/10

A few levels in I was struck by an immense sense of 'Firefly'. This game captures the feel of that show so well I'd be surprised if it wasn't intentional. Couple that with more than a couple of Firefly references and this game is a must play for any browncoat. It's approachable and deep and challenging and I have trouble faulting it beyond a couple of general design choices I wish were different. Love this game, and have now finished the Steamworld series and am eagerly awaiting Image and Form's next title.

SamuelG

Jul 11, 2018
New Jersey
Oh god I get weird about keeping track of these things. I'm going to try and use my trophies/achievements to figure out dates from earlier in the year. Also some of my "dates beaten by" may be before the game comes out 'cause I'm a journalist and get games early.

1) Gorogoa (Nintendo Switch)
Day Finished: 1/1
Score: 8.5/10

I really enjoyed this! Sweet little puzzle game with some fantastic art. I though the way it used the simple mechanics was super creative.

2) Raw Data (PlayStation VR)
Day Finished: 1/15
Score: 7/10

Really neat VR FPS with some clever ideas. That said, the game gets repetitive for a while. Picks up near the end. Really needed co-op.

3) Cold Iron (PlayStation VR)
Day Finished: 1/25
Score: 3.5/10

It's like someone made a game based entirely on Wild West duels. Only also it's bad.

4) The Inpaitent (PlayStation VR)
Day Finished: 1/27
Score: 5/10

Until Dawn's bad prequel. 9/10ths of it is really slowly walking while people dump exposition on you. Has a few clever moments though. I wish the story was better.

5) Assassin's Creed Origins: The Hidden Ones (PlayStation 4)
Day Finished: 1/30

It's 10 more hours of Assassin's Creed Origins. Considering how good the base game is, that's a real good thing.

6) Dissidia Final Fantasy NT (PlayStation 4)
Day Finished: 2/7

I absolutely love this game's combat and don't understand why every other part of it is so bad. The story is bad, the menus are bad, the game lags, I don't get it. I love the combat so much though.

7) The Fall Part 2: Unbound (PlayStation 4)
Day Finished: 2/10

I'm not sure how many people played The Fall, but it was one of my favorites. I was so glad that it both got a sequel and that the sequel was fantastic.

8) Blasters of the Universe (PlayStation VR)
Day Finished: 2/25
Score: 4/10

It was just a generic wave shooter basically. Tried adding in some SHMUP elements, but they were too glitchy to work well.

9) Apex Construct (PlayStation VR)
Day Finished: 2/27
Score: 3/10

I have played a lot of VR games, and Apex Construct is the only one to make me motion sick. I dunno why. Even outside of that, just a lot of really bad design decisions and repeated levels.

10) Moss (PlayStation VR)
Day Finished: 3/2

One of the best VR games I've played. Quill is so cute! I loved nearly every moment of it, even when it sometimes got frustrating.

11) Metal Gear Survive (PlayStation 4)
Day Finished: 3/6
Score: 7.5/10

Controversial opinion time: I really liked Metal Gear Survive. Easily my favorite survival game by far.

12) Assassin's Creed Rogue Remastered (PlayStation 4)
Day Finished: 3/18

Perfectly fine, but a great reminder on why Assassin's Creed Origins needed to rework the whole formula. Also I dunno why I chose to finish this on my birthday. I clearly have a problem.

13) Far Cry 5 (PlayStation 4)
Day Finished: 3/25
Score: 9/10

I really really enjoyed my trip to Hope County. Made me get super back into Far Cry. Even with the dumb bad ending.

14) Assassin's Creed Origins: The Curse of the Pharaohs (PlayStation 4)
Day Finished: 3/27

It's even more Assassin's Creed Origins, but also it adds in neat new enemies and awesome afterlife segments.

15) Bravo Team (PlayStation VR)
Day Finished: 3/28
Score: 2/10

By far the worst VR game I've ever played, besides Rollercoaster Dreams. Barely even functions properly, and full of so many bad ideas.

16) Azkend 2 (PlayStation 4)
Day Finished: ??? (Sometime in April)
Score: 6/10

I got this from Ps+ and figured I'd try it? It's just a match-3 with occasional hidden picture puzzles. I don't hate it. Good calming game.

17) Batman: The Enemy Within (PlayStation 4)
Day Finished: 4/4

By far Telltale's best game since the original Walking Dead. Oh my God it was so good. I hope there's more Telltale Batman so badly.

18) Crisis on the Planet of the Apes (PlayStation VR)
Day Finished: 4/5

I actually really enjoyed this. Super short, but a fun fast paced VR movie tie-in FPS.

19) Metropolis: Lux Obscura (Nintendo Switch)
Day Finished: ??? (Sometime in April around here)

I like match-3 RPGs. This is a really bad match-3 RPG. Also it's openly racist and sexist which is... man. It's not good. It's real bad. So bad.

20) One Eyed Kutkh (PlayStation 4)
Day Finished: 4/13

This is an educational game that intentionally gets its vague subject of "mythology of the northern people" wrong. I can't even tell you who "the northern people" are based on this game, and I feel like that's horrible. I want to see this subject handled as well as Never Alone did. Not this mess.

21) Beast Quest (PlayStation 4)
Day Finished: 4/16

Apparently there was this weird phase in April where I hated myself? Really bad children's book series tie-in RPG. I dunno why I did this.

22) Kamiko (Nintendo Switch)
Day Finished: ??? (Sometime in April around here)

Cute little action RPG, but it's really short. Like I think it only took me an hour to finish? I liked it though. I wanna see a Kamiko 2.

23) God of War (PlayStation 4)
Day Finished: 4/30
Score: 9.5/10

Favorite game of 2018 so far! Oh man. Great combat, beautiful graphics, engaging story... Loved every part of it! Also you could punch werewolves.

24) Omensight (PlayStation 4)
Day Finished: 5/8
Score: 8/10

Got a bit repetitive thanks to time travel, but a really fun action RPG with good ideas. Also Ratika is best.

25) Asemblance: Oversight (PlayStation 4)
Day Finished: 5/16

Quite literally the definition of "I don't get it". I think this is a game for people way more into ARGs and way smarter than me.

26) Red Dead Revolver (PlayStation 4)
Day Finished: 6/1

It's a wonder this series ended up as good as it did. This isn't really a great game, and it's full of the strange design decisions of early/mid Ps2 games.

27) A Way Out (PlayStation 4)
Day Finished: 6/6

I loved the opening and I loved a good chunk of the end. However the middle is boring and the final segment is so bog standard and bad.

28) Far Cry 3 Classic Edition (PlayStation 4)
Day Finished: 6/19

Really fun to revisit this game. Vaas is best.

29) Far Cry 5: Hours of Darkness (PlayStation 4)
Day Finished: 6/21
Score: 5.5/10

More Far Cry 5 should be fun, but this just focused on all the wrong elements. Felt like a weird extended side quest.

30) Anima: Gate of Memories - Nameless Chronicles (PlayStation 4)
Day Finished: 6/28

This was... a video game? I feel like that's the most I have to say about it.

31) LEGO The Incredibles (PlayStation 4)
Day Finished: 6/29

It's weird that even the most average LEGO games are still good games. It's LEGO filler while you wait for for DC Super Villains.

32) Kingdom Hearts II Final Mix (PlayStation 4)
Day Finished: 7/1

This series is exactly as good as I remember it to be, which is amazing.

33) Dark Legion (PlayStation VR)
Day Finished: 7/5

This game literally steals Darth Vader's breathing from Star Wars. Who thought that was a good idea?

34) Far Cry 5: Lost on Mars (PlayStation 4)
Day Finished: 7/20

You know what was a bad idea? Giving an entire expansion to Hurk. Why.

35) Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker (Nintendo Switch)
Day Finished: 7/22

Holy crap this is one of the most genuinely delightful games I've ever played. Also those puzzles are fantastic.

36) The Walker (PlayStation VR)
Day Finished: 7/28

Totally generic wave shooter that doesn't do anything amazing or terrible. Exists.

37) 18 Floors (PlayStation VR)
Day Finished: 7/29

This puzzle game would be fantastic if I was actually convinced at any point that it was finished.

38) Super Mario Odyssey (Nintendo Switch)
Day Finished: 7/31
Score: 10/10

This is easily one of the most delightful games I've ever played. Platforming perfection.

39) State of Mind (Xbox One)
Day Finished: 8/6

A pretty neat adventure game that takes a bit to get going but, once it does, is really interesting.

40) AdVenture Capitalist (PlayStation 4)
Day Finished: 8/8
Score: ?????

Guys I got 100% of the trophies in this dumb idle clicker game. I did it. I'm free. I'M FREE.

41) Gene Rain (PlayStation 4)
Day Finished: 8/24
Score: 1/10

By far the worst game I've played this year. A really bad and generic Chinese third person shooter that is just... holy shit. It's worth playing just because how bad it is truly can't be expressed easily.

42) Donut County (PlayStation 4)
Day Finished: 8/25

For all the things I loved about Donut County, in the back of my mind I wish it was a harder game that pushed puzzles and creative thinking a little more. Still really enjoyable tho.

43) Far Cry 5: Living Dead Zombies (PlayStation 4)
Day Finished: 8/30

Special shout out to Ubisoft here. After Assassin's Creed Origins had some of the absolute best and most impressive DLC of the generation, Far Cry 5 had some of the worst.

44) Shadow of the Tomb Raider (PlayStation 4)
Day Finished: 9/6

The weakest of the reboot trilogy, yet still a very fun game. Love Lara as a character.

45) Radiant One (PC)
Day Finished: 9/16

A really short but neat little narrative game. Wish it went a little deeper into its message though.

46) Stone (PC)
Day Finished: 9/18

I liked the idea of this super Australian hip-hop stoner noire, but it needed a lot more work.

47) Transference (PlayStation 4)
Day Finished: 9/19

Has atmosphere to spare. I really loved a lot about this game. Would love to see more.

48) Creed: Rise to Glory (PlayStation VR)
Day Finished: 9/24

I originally suspected a licensed VR boxing game would be bad. Turns out I was crazy wrong.

49) Call of Cthulhu (PlayStation 4)
Day Finished: 10/23

It tries so hard, and the story is fantastic. But everything around it is super janky at best, and little else.

50) The Quiet Man (PlayStation 4)
Day Finished: 11/2

One of the most disgusting and shitty games I've had the displeasure of playing, and I need everyone else in the world to play it too just because I can't believe it exists.

51) LEGO DC Super-Villains (PlayStation 4)
Day Finished: 11/4

A very fun LEGO game that makes some great use of DC villains. Super enjoyable.

52) Assassin's Creed Odyssey (PlayStation 4)
Day Finished: 11/5
Score: 9.5/10

Genuinely my GOTY. Took me 72 hours to beat and I loved every single one. That's rare for me.

53) The Quiet Man: Answered (PlayStation 4)
Day Finished: 11/8

It's the exact same game as The Quiet Man but with sound now. Somehow doesn't make it any less shitty.

54) Battlefield 1 (PlayStation 4)
Day Finished: 11/15
Score: ???

I convinced myself I needed to finish this game's single player campaign before Battlefield V came out. I don't know why. It's okay, but the multiplayer is where it's at.

55) The World Ends With You: Final Remix (Nintendo Switch)
Day Finished: 11/23

An iffy port of an excellent game. Play the DS version instead unless you can't.

56) Arca's Path (PlayStation VR)
Day Finished: 11/28

A really neat VR version of Marble Madness. Great for VR newbies, but also good enough for vets.

57) Storm Boy: The Game (PlayStation 4)
Day Finished: 11/29

A cute little adaption of the book, but not much fun to play and only too me about 20 minutes to finished with another 10 to get the platinum trophy.

58) Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep (PlayStation 4)
Day Finished: 12/4

I had a ton of trouble with the last boss. Otherwise, a real fun entry into the series.

59) Gungrave VR (PlayStation VR)
Day Finished: 12/9
Score: 2.5/10

In its 30 minute run time it manages to do nearly every VR sin in the book. Plus its super boring.

60) RollerCoaster Tycoon Joyride (PlayStation 4)
Day Finished: 12/15

This game is actual hell, fuck everything.

61) The Council (PlayStation 4)
Day Finished: 12/25

Episodic narrative adventure game with some RPG elements. Started real strong, but each episode seemed to get worse until it limped over the finish line.

Last edited:

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
Been waaaay too long since I posted an update, so let's fix that!

#29 Ni no Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom – Completed 4/30/18
#30 Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin – Completed 6/7/18
#31 Hollow Knight – Completed 6/26/18
#32 Vanquish – Completed 7/12/18

Between finals and preparing for E3/AX, it shouldn't come at any real shock that I slowed down a lot for a while there. But, I did finish 4 games - two of which being long, 50+ hour RPGs.

Ni no Kuni II - I didn't like this one nearly as much as I'd hoped. Still good, still worth playing if you could get it on a discount - but I paid nearly full price! At least I finished it fairly quickly instead of dropping it in my backlog. It has some beautiful locations, at least.

Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin - I played the original Dark Souls on PC a while back, and I enjoyed it quite a bit - I was actually pretty excited for Dark Souls 2 pre-release, but a combination of the delay for PC, the downgraded visuals, and the post-launch disappointment meant I didn't actually play it until last earlier this year. Furthermore, I ended up putting it down for a while once Monster Hunter hit! I'm glad I finally played it, though. I think people are a little too hard on it.

Hollow Knight - I bought this a few months back, but all the excitement surrounding the Switch release got me to play the PC version I'd already bought. Haven't done the True Ending yet, and I don't know when I will, but it's a truly great metroidvania. Play it!

Vanquish - Since I just added a few long VNs/JRPGs to my backlog, I couldn't in good conscience not knock a few smaller games off of my backlog first. This was the first of 'em - not my favorite Platinum Games title, but I enjoyed it. Story is campy as all hell and I love it.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
Belarus
Main Post part 2

-------

59. Sherlock Holmes - Nemesis - 7 hours
Started as a good adventure game, but it went downhill after museum level, too many bullshit puzzles and the story becomes really dumb in a bad way. I'm not sure what devs were thinking with this one, at some point Holmes need to closely inspect food leftovers in the trash bin with a magnifying glass, and this is as disgusting as it sounds. Very frustrating and disappointing experience.

rahji

Oct 25, 2017
12. Ace Attorney - Trials and Tribulations (3DS) Finished at 7/8/2018 Time: ~30 hours

Really good Ace Attorney game. If would have to rate the trilogy, it would be 3>1>2. Especially the last case was written very well. It contains stories and references from all the 3 games and is really exciting to play through.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
72. Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes

Had the itch for a match 3 game and ended up replaying this. It has some annoying battles but it is otherwise an enjoyable and addicting Match 3 and RPG hybrid.
It's a dang shame we never got any form of successor or sequel.

Arcus Felis

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
Master post here.

5: Umineko: When They Cry (Question Arcs)

header.jpg

Platform: PC
Genre: Visual Novel
Playtime: 76 hours
Achievements: 20/22. One achievement remains hidden. Hmmmmmmm...
Rating: ★★★ (Final rating pending the completion of Answers Arcs)

After The House of Fata Morgana, I wasn't expecting much from that Visual Novel, as it seemed to be about the same kind of story.
While there are some similarities, let's just say I was wrong.
First, this game is long - extremely long. And it is just the first part of a whole: there is another game, Answers Arcs, that is the direct sequel, and should answer (duh) all the questions raised during that game.
Second, while The House of Fata Morgana led to a penury of handkerchiefs in my place, that game didn't drive me to tears. But it doesn't need to. The stories aren't the same, and Umineko has its own amazing qualities as a mystery novel (with a twist... you shall see for yourself once you begin playing).
Still, there is a "repetitive" aspect to that game, which may bore some players. I certainly was at times. But it turned out OK in the end.
If you decide to play that game, I highly suggest that you download the PS3 patches, that add voice-acting, gorgeous art and cutscenes from the PS3 version of the game (the original art is............ unique).
A word of warning: you will hear a lot of cackling if you download the voices. Like, really, a lot. The first hours were quite disappointing for me too (mainly because I couldn't stand two characters in particular). Mark my words: it gets tremendously better.

Last edited:

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
39. Splatoon 2 14/07/2018

Completed the single player and have done a ton of multiplayer matches, most of which I've sucked at. Gonna take a break from it so I can play other stuff and come back to it later and do the Octo Expansion.