• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Iceternal

Oct 28, 2017
I have a love/hate relationship with this thread. I follow it and read most of the posts here because it's very interesting. But everytime I read the title "52 games. 1 year", I think of "2 girls. 1 cup" and it's awful.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
7. Blackwell Deception
header.jpg

The 4th game is much more lengthier than its predecessors, but is a fine ride non the less IMO.
While it does seem like it sets up events for the next title, Rosa hunting down Gavin's orginization is dropped and isn't the focus of the next game. I'd like it if there was a game starring Detective Durkin who investigates and stops this orginization somehow. Kinda like how George dealt with the Templars in BS1 :P

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Main Post part 1

-------

4. Hard to Be a God - 20 hours
Surprisingly good RPG from eastern europe, with 2 things i didn't expected to see in such game - great english voice acting and story. There some interesting ideas, like to change roles by wearing different equipment, for examples you can dress up like bandit and persuade local gang to stop terrorizing nearby village. Unfortunately, gameplay didn't aged well and doesn't allow to avoid combat entirely soon after visiting first big city. Also, story is amazing, but there is no real choice and 95% of the time you just listen dialogues and go to next quest location. I recommend to take a closer look at this game if you don't mind some chunkiness and ready to deal with occasional bugs. I'll say it again, story is best part of this game and it was absolutely worth it to go through all this to see the ending. To make game less frustrating, buy a horse and ignore side quests, they're just unnecessary busy work most of the time and don't affect endings.

Added to wishlist. Though i explore Steam constantly i'd never noticed this one. And looking it up i just found out it's based on a well respected novel and there's also an interesting looking film adaptation. Thanks!

Sch1sm

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
All I've played the last 6 weeks is a whole lot of this:

battlefield-1-2.jpg

And, for the last 2 weeks, it's been a whole lot of this, too:

header.jpg

Picked up PC copies for both since my subs died on console, and to play with some SteamERA folks, and it's literally consumed over 60 hours of my time. Only things I've got for my list at this point - near everything else has taken a backseat outside of Picross e8.

Bond

Oct 27, 2017
London, UK
Main Post

VAb296u.png

1: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (January 15th)

Xbox One X | Time Played: 104.55 hours | Rating: 9/10
I finally got around to beating one of the most acclaimed RPG's of all time, and it holds up to the hype. Quests are well structured, despite having laughable sword combat and leveling systems. CD Projekt Red knocked the open world elements out the park, with the attention to detail on another level. Geralt's journey delivered on the promises, with meaty dialogue and characters turning into a theatrical experience.

1G73n0d.png

2: Super Mario Odyssey
Nintendo Switch | Time Played: 15 hours | Rating: 9/10
Started the little charmer at launch last year, but all my work commitments put it on hold, and Nintendo did not disappoint in reinventing the classic gameplay seen in Super Mario 64 with a new hat mechanic. The world design in Super Mario Odyssey is just immense, allowing to Mario interact with varied situations and use all his abilities to solve puzzles. All brilliant round installment in the series, and deserves to be given a sequel.

qEOfGjD.png

3: Shadow of the Colossus
PS4 Pro | Time Player: 4 Hours | 8/10
Finally experienced arguably one of the most beloved games, with the beautiful PS4 remake and it was a powerful journey to save a loved one. Team Ico created one of the most intriguing video games in recent memory, with the simple gameplay and complex storytelling on another level. Despite some appalling horse controls, I enjoyed the experience of hunting down those Colossi.

Last edited:

Deleted member 13148

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Main Post

9. Hyper Light Drifter - Jan. 15 (5h)
header.jpg

I'm a bit surprised at how short this one was, since HLTB lists the rushed completion at 5 h, 42 minutes, and I didn't feel like I was rushing through it. I'm sure I missed most of the secrets, but most of the upgrades didn't really seem to be that necessary for beating the game. If you struggle with some of the bosses, hunting down extra secrets might give you a slight power boost needed to overcome them. The game wasn't too difficult, but it also wasn't too easy. It took a few attempts on several bosses, and the bosses I beat on the first try, I typically barely scraped by. I enjoyed the exploration in the game, without too much backtracking. The story is told entirely through art, which could be a bit confusing at times, but it was enjoyable without getting in the way of the game. I'd recommend the game if you want simple, refined combat, with a bit of exploration.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Main post: https://www.resetera.com/posts/2784229/

7. Still Life / 9h - completed 16.01.18

Still Life is an Adventure game from the mid 2000's and it shows. Bad PS2 level CGI, blurry backgrounds and terrible voice acting don't make a very good first impression. I found it to be a pretty good game though. The serial killer story line is nothing to write home about but it kept me interested enough due to jumping back and forth between two timelines that we play through. Although the voice acting is bad, the writing and characters are a little better. It does end in sequel bait though.
The gameplay is very streamlined and the environments sparse in interaction. The puzzles are mostly ok but there are a couple of sliding puzzles which i absolutely despised. And a laser beam puzzle near the end almost made me quit.
Remember all those Se7en clones in the 90's? That's what this feels like in tone.

It's far from being an essential game but i had fun with it and since i own the sequel already, i'll play it eventually.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
2. Tales of Symphonia - 15/01/2018

5167a8e5ad482.png

My first JRPG, and it still holds up which is nice. It does all the cliche tropes in just the right way to make them seem warm and familiar rather than boring.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
MASTER POST

Currently Playing:
Everybody's Golf (PS4)

Completed:
1. NBA 2K18 (PS4) - 01/01/18 - 10 hours
kSt0zr1.jpg

While not a particularly bad game, it's hard to look favorably upon the latest in 2K's basketball series. The series has had predatory micro-transactions in the past, but with progression being severely slowed in the myCareer mode, with the option to pay up to become a better player, the motivation to continue has been lost. The core gameplay here is still fantastic. Even beyond the micro-transactions, however, myCareer is a mess. Net code is also still trash

5.6; Skip it unless you wanna play franchise mode

2. Tekken 7 (PS4) - 01/04/18 - 6 hours
SKBiNmh.jpg

So, it's fun. Customization is nice. The story is not great, but it was my first experience with the story of Tekken, so my perception may have been altered.

8.0; Easy purchase for fighting game enthusiasts

3. Batman (PS4) - 01/05/18 - 12 hours
Vwf6JPY.png

Kind of cool game. Feeling very tired of the devs, but this is at least an interesting Batman story. Some of the story decisions are not great, though

6.0; If you like Batman, buy it. If you got it from PS+, maybe give it a shot

4. PaRappa the Rapper (PS4) - 01/19/18 - 2.5 hours

jDCBNLP.png

Might be hard to believe given my avatar, but before today I'd never completed PaRappa. I'd watched the game, I'd played demos of it, and I always liked the character design, but I hadn't played the game. Picked it up tonight during the flash sale and had a really good time. Obviously I'd have liked it to be a little longer, or maybe a little more challenging as that time is how long it took me to totally platinum the game, but it's a very charming game nonetheless.

8.0; Really friendly and fun rhythm game. If length is a concern hit up that PSN Flash sale cause it's only $5.

Last edited:

FRANKEINSTEIN

Oct 27, 2017
AZ
I'm off to a terrible start this year. All my game time so far has been devoted to Wildlands trying to kill the Predator.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

8. The Walking Dead Season 1 Ep. 3 - Long Road Ahead / 2h30 - completed 16.01.18

Another great episode. Some very strong scenes in here. Particularly liked Lilly's and Clem's moments, in a different context. It's also a very sad one that just hit me in the feels. Again. I'm a big fan of Vanaman's work in this series.
Also like how this episode completely changes the dynamics we were becoming accustomed to, in order to set up the final act.
Not much more to say. Two more episodes to go and then on to 400 Days which i haven't played yet.

9. Tick's Tales / 1h40 - completed 16.01.18

A short PnC Adventure game, with pixel art and some funny moments. It tells the epic tale of Tick and his tribulations to win the heart of Georgia McGorgeous, with the help of Gandarf. It's really silly and a little hit or miss. The puzzles are not overly complicated and have a certain logic to them, which i like. Not much else to say really.

Last edited:

KingFrost92

Oct 26, 2017
Oregon
Completed: 5/52

1. Human: Fall Flat - 6 hours. FINISHED.

2. The Evil Within 2 - 14 hours. FINISHED. I enjoyed this game so much more than I was expecting to. It's a great, polished little survival thriller that I had an awesome time blazing through. Not particularly hard compared to the first, but I liked it for that. Makes me want a full open world game like this. Maybe State of Decay would scratch that itch?

3. Super Mario Odyssey - 25 hours. FINISHED. I loved this last year and I loved it even more playing it on stream with my wife. Such an awesome game, and was the first one I completed while streaming, catching a bunch of new followers along the way.

4. Contradiction: Spot the Liar! - 7 hours. FINISHED. This game was a hoot. Tons of awesome overacting and mystery, and it's a game whose Steam page does it no favors sadly. Id recommend it to fans of old FMV games. It's a super fun twist on that style.

5. Little Nightmares - 3 hours. FINISHED. Eh, it was basically Limbo and Inside but done about 3/4 as well, and a bit more creepy. It was a really cool finale, and a solid experience overall, but it definitely wears its influences on its sleeves. It seemed fine to me, but didn't blow me away.

Next up:
Nioh
Hollow Knight
Yakuza Kiwami
Monster Hunter World

Last edited:

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
Reserved. I have 500+ games in my backlog combined on two platforms (Xbox One and Switch) and that's not even including my 3DS, Wii, PS3, Xbox 360, Steam, PS2, GameCube, etc. and I have a habit of playing 30-45 minutes of a game, abandoning it and starting another game. I think Super Mario Odyssey was one of the only games I completed in 2017, that's how bad it is. This thread will help me.

JANUARY
lJmR1IN_d.jpg

1 — Thumper | Switch
5 hours (so far) | Started January 16 | Completed ???
This game is amazing. It's like a traditional rhythm game but it doesn't use popular music like your typical rhythm game, it uses mysterious music and you're fighting bosses that look like demons. It's not just like mash A, mash B either, it uses a variety of combos and every level it introduces a new mechanic that uses a combo. The game progressively gets more and more difficult and frustrating, but so far it's been fun!

Queue
Xenoblade Chronicles 2 - Nintendo Switch
Romancing SaGa 2 - Xbox One
Cuphead - Xbox One (I've gotten through 2 worlds of this, just gotta finish it)
A Hat in Time - Xbox One
Sunset Overdrive - Xbox One (played a bit of this a few years ago, loved it and want to finish)
Monster Hunter: World - Xbox One (really excited for this game!)
Kirby: Star Allies - Xbox One
Bayonetta - Nintendo Switch
Bayonetta 2 - Nintendo Switch
Ōkami HD - Xbox One
RiME - Xbox One

Last edited:

KiDdYoNe

Oct 25, 2017
Main Post

Finaly completed Uncharted 2. Still, a great game. Though that ending is... yuck.
Also completed Superhot. Damn that's an enjoyable game. Kinda sucks that "story" was so short but I guess new challenges are ahead.

Picked up South Park: Fractured But Whole and got 1st game for free. Starting with replaying Stick of Truth.
Oh yeah, and I remembered I have a lot of Steam games I wanted to complete. Started with SteamWorld Dig 2.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
header.jpg

Game #26 - Borderlands The Pre-Sequel + Season Pass
Time: 36 hours

So once in a while you pick up a game, maybe soemthing that you've owned for a long time, and for whatever reason, it just clicks with you. That's exactly what happened after I finally bought the season pass and decided to play Pre-Sequel. I forgot how much I loved the Borderland games, from the art style, the shooting, the different classes. Pre-Sequel adds some neat features that actually improve the gameplay in my opinion, such as the low gravity super jumps which really give the game a whole new vertical aspect to it. Main story (which acts as both a sequel to BL1 and a prequel to BL2) is good and there is a ton of content in here, as usual even sidequests have a lot of dialogue and story. Everytime I thought the game was almost over, it kep going. DLC unfortunately isnt as good as past games. There's only two real expansions (and 2 new classes in the season pass, one of which I played, Jack), and only one of those is worth it, as the other is just a arena mode and its terrible. Thankfull the Claptrap focused expansion is fantastic and also really long, so it adds to the game in a big way and actually bridges Pre-Sequel and BL2 nicely. so yeah, call it time and place, but I loved my time with this and will probably still play more, maybe clean up some sidequests I missed or even start a true vault hunter mode.

Main Post

Last edited:

LonestarZues

Oct 27, 2017
https://www.resetera.com/posts/3243362

4. Batman Arkham VR - PSVR - 1/16 - 2 hours: One of the best PSVR games I've played thus far. I'm afraid of heights so a couple parts were scary for me haha. Would definitely recommend to any Batman fans out there. 8/10

5. Oxenfree - PS4 - 1/18 - 4 hours: Really enjoyed the 1st 2 hours of the game. It felt like it dragged a bit in the middle, but really enjoyed the ending. 8/10

Last edited:

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
https://www.resetera.com/posts/3243362

5. Batman Arkham VR - PSVR - 1/16 - 2 hours: One of the best PSVR games I've played thus far. I'm afraid of heights so a couple parts were scary for me haha. Would definitely recommend to any Batman fans out there. 8/10

Not sure if I'll play another small game before Street Fighter 5: Arcade Edition goes online, but I'll look at my backlog here shortly and decide.
Heads up: Your post link is a redirect to report the post.

SnowCrow

Oct 25, 2017
Main post

4zECoQV.png

Game #1 - Splatoon 2 ★★★½
Jan 17th - 80 hours
Cleared Singleplayer campaign, reached level 30 in Multiplayer and S rank in one of the ranked modes.

I'm going to find it hard to play other console shooters without gyro aiming now, so much better than just dual sticks. The singleplayer campaign is one of the best I've played in a shooter. The game has fantastic musicthat's unlike anything else I've heard before.

Now the multiplayer on the other hand is one of the most frustrating things ever. Only one spawn point so the games just end up being a race to see who can spawn trap the other faster. Matchmaking places you against veterans constantly rather than people around your level.. Which there were plenty of since I jumped in around christmas with a bunch of other noobs. Lots of other random nitpicks.

I'll probably still jump back in for Splatfests and new weapon/map updates.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
Belarus
Main Post part 1

-------

5. Kane and Lynch: Dead Men - 4 hours
NOTE: this is impression about singleplayer mode, have no idea if coop is still functioning and don't really want to know. I can't imagine how IO managed to fuck up so badly, but this game is GARBAGE. I hate literally every aspect of this game, shooting, cover mechanics, story, protagonists, music, enemy AI, save system, i can't believe it so bad for real. Guns feels terrible and bullets spread is ridiculously high, even sniper riffle sometimes don't kill enemy at some angles or if you trying to shoot through bushes. This game also features one of the worst rocket launchers in videogames, this is useless stick that shooting smoke lines, there is no visual impact on vehicles and it's absolutely worthless against humans. Cover mechanics is broken, there is a lot "covers" that enemies shooting through, like walls and statues - at some level i decided to ignore armored vehicle that were shooting and me and run directly to mission point, only to find out that it can shoot through ruins where rebels were hiding. There is a lot levels where there is no covers in sight at all, long corridors and open squares means instadeath but there is nothing you can do in this situation. AI extremely stupid for both your allies and enemies, the only reason why it's hard to play this game is extremely low health of protagonists, which forces you to stay in covers and try to shoot anyone, so incredibly frustrating and boring. Level design is very questionable and it's relatively easy to accidentally broke the game - one time i decided to ignore story dialogue in bank and just run through the door, but halfway through game suddenly retake controls and forced me to go back and see how Lynch run through another door (!). Other example was in exchange hostage episode, near the end of the level i noticed that one of my allies for some reasons stuck in the beginning and ignored my commands, so i had to run back all the way through for him to finish the mission. Story could save the day, but it failed as well, devs tried to create serious tone, but it filled with boring cliche and plot holes. Protagonists should have been brutal gangsters, but instead they look like complete idiots and their actions are illogical and raising a lot "what the hell are you doing" questions. Devs also effectively ruined one of the rare good thing about this game, the atmosphere of criminal drama, by sending heroes to jungles and other low-budget military action movie decorations, turning story into lifeless run and gun. Endings is another shitshow, at one ending Kane's daughter suddenly started to care about situation and people she never saw before, so game forcing you to choose "real" ending that ends as terrible as expected. No matter what you choose, game ends like shit - maybe devs tried to keep "this is serious criminal drama here" line, but it failed because of how unlikable and dumb are characters is, it's incredibly unsatisfying to end game like this. Barebones gameplay, janky shooting and cover mechanics, boring predictable story, unlikable protagonists that can't just stop doing dumb shit, save system that saves your progress only between episodes and forces you to replay entire episode if game crashed after using Alt+Tab... Overall, Kane & Lynch was massive disappointment for me, it's not like they can't do fun action game, Freedom Fighters was fun to play, but this game is just terrible by all accounts.

Deleted member 32615

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Update: January 17th, 2018
header.jpg

Game 5: Portal 2 (PC) (5 Hours, 15 Minutes) (10/10)
Yet again, another game I've finished twice now. This time around, I think I loved it more, I used no walkthroughs like I did in my first playthrough about 5 years ago now and this game makes you feel so smart. The beginning and ending of the game are so action packed and all the tests are really creative and bring in so many more new elements compared to the first game. The game has an actual story this time around, and it's such a good story. Being able to go back to the early days of Aperture is so cool and interesting, and they use so many cool concepts that arrive later in the game in a neat way. Wheatley is a great character, being designed to be a character to start off as liking, but then hating. Glados is such a menacing presence in the game compared to the first where the end boss design just looked, weird? This is one of THE best games out there and a game everyone should play, even people who don't like puzzle games.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
8. Blackwell Epiphany
header.jpg

The final chapter in the game concludes Rosa and Joey's adventures. While it doesn't follow up on a major plot point from the first game, its own story is quite good, although its the darkest entry in the series.

Barring a few issues with some plot stuff the series is overall pretty solid and a must play for fans of (PnC) Adventure games, or ghost stories.

Spyware

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Been slacking with the updates!

3eb0hW1.png

Game #16: Eidolon
Started 5 Jan. 2018 - Completed 13 Jan. 2018
Verdict: A game for people who hate handholding.

When you start this game you are simply plopped down into a huge world with no instructions, no tutorial, nothing. The graphics are super simple but the game still manages to look absolutely gorgeous most of the time. This is good because if it didn't, I don't think I would have played it until some form of completion. I don't actually know if I completed it because that is another thing that isn't clear in this game. Like everything else! The gameplay conists of very light survival mechanics like finding food and sleeping when tired. While doing this you pretty much walk around in this huge map looking for notes and pretty views. It's kinda relaxing and odd. I liked it but it's very niche, to say the least.​

G17aZhI.png

Game #17: Delver
Started 2 Jan. 2018 - Completed 13 Jan. 2018
Verdict: A very good "just one more try" game.

I really, really liked this game. A very simple roguelite, in a good way. I loved the random nature of it. The dungeon is of course random every time. You also start with a couple of random things, which doesn't actually matter much because you quickly find more/better stuff in the dungeon. When you level up you don't get to choose freely what stats to level up! The game presents you with a choice between three of the six possible stats. This might sound annoying but the stats are all useful so it just makes it interesting. The most random thing is the potions. They are all randomized and secret every time you start. The blue potion that healed you in one run might be poison for the next delver. The graphics are okay, but will apparently soon be updated when the game leaves early access (later in January perhaps?). I like the style of it but it was a bit "much" in some areas. As said, it's an early access game but the only thing being changed for the release seems to be updated looks, UI and such. The gameplay and goal of the game has been done for some time now. I have not written anything about the goal on purpose because it's best experienced first hand. I'll just say I loved it.​

htDRlwU.png

Game #18: PokéPark Wii: Pikachu's Adventure
Started 13 Jan. 2018 - Completed 14 Jan. 2018
Verdict: Stellar spin-off.

This was a huge surprise. I absolutely love Pokémon and generally like the spin-offs, but a game where you play minigames with the Wiimote... could that really work? The answer is a resounding yes! The animations of the Pokémon are absolutely perfect and that makes this an absolute joy to play through. The "Attractions" (minigames) are very varied. You shake, swing, point and tilt the Wiimote and it worked perfectly every time. You befriend (catch) other Pokémon by beating them in "skill games" like battles, races and quizzes (among others) and can then use them in the Attractions to get higher scores than Pikachu can manage. The only bad thing I can say about the game is that Pikachu can be a pain to control in the (very few) platforming "skill games" and controlling him in general outside of the attractions hurt my thumb. I do not like the d-pad on the Wiimote. I also might not recommend 100%-ing this in two sittings like I did. Or maybe ever. My arms still hurt!​

PpUzLED.png

Game #19: Secrets of Rætikon
Started 15 Jan. 2018 - Beaten 15 Jan. 2018
Verdict: Style over substance.

I got this in a Humble Weekly Eye Candy Bundle and that sorta says it all really. The game is pretty but that's it. The gameplay is very simple, you fly around collecting glowing bits and try to avoid hazards. It wasn't long and as I said it was pretty to look at, so I didn't feel like I wasted too much of my time beating it. But I quickly decided I would not replay it for the harder achievements. Nothing I would recommend.​

BOoUj8r.png

Game #20: Stacking
Started 16 Jan. 2018 - Completed 17 Jan. 2018
Verdict: Still just as pretty and funny as I remembered it.

I absolutely adored this when I played it on 360. I think I 100%-ed it in one single session back then. I was pretty much glued to the screen. When it came out on PC I bought it to have a "reason" to replay it but then it sorta fell down in the deep pit that is my backlog and was forgotten! But I finally "found it" again and just had to play it. It still looks absolutely amazing. I love that every puzzle has multiple solutions and the whole idea of puzzles based around stacking different matryoshka dollsis just so good. Perfect little game to relax with.​
_

Master Post!

Last edited:

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
so here's a question. If you finish the same game twice in one year, can you list it twice? And would you?

I'm not going to, hell I even listed BL Pre-Sequel and it's season pass as one entry when I could have easily put the dlc content as a seperate game, especially the claptrap one which is huge, but since im playing it over again in true vault hunter mode, I was just curious to what the rules with new game+s are. Let's say a hardcore Dark Souls fan finished that game twice back to back, could that count as two? Again, just curiosity sake.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
so here's a question. If you finish the same game twice in one year, can you list it twice? And would you?

I'm not going to, hell I even listed BL Pre-Sequel and it's season pass as one entry when I could have easily put the dlc content as a seperate game, especially the claptrap one which is huge, but since im playing it over again in true vault hunter mode, I was just curious to what the rules with new game+s are. Let's say a hardcore Dark Souls fan finished that game twice back to back, could that count as two? Again, just curiosity sake.

I personally wouldn't but i guess it's a personal choice. It's not like we're getting sweet sweet prizes for making it :(

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

I think the title "52 games, 1 year" suggests that they shoule be 52 unique games

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
I think the title "52 games, 1 year" suggests that they shoule be 52 unique games

I'd argue NG+ is fairly unique from a regular game, especially when a NG+ can be 20+ hours and some of the DLC or adventure/shorter games listed by people are like 1-3 hours long. Also the OP says replays count.

I'm currently playing Undertale, and I'd personally count the two distinct ways of playing the game as separate items - each requires you to play the game from the very beginning to the end, in essence completing a full game each time.

I mean if I played it one way this year, and another way next year, it'd be listed as two games, and if I played it one way in December and another way in January it'd still be listed as two games. So if I play it one way in March and another in September, why would it only count once?

I think once you start excluding certain things from counting, you get in to a grey area, and why not exclude others? Is it really fair to count 100 iOS games that can be beat in 1-2 hours each as 100x more than a single 150 hour RPG like The Witcher 3? Should a single short DLC really count? It's up to the individual I think.

MrJamesMk-II

Jan 2, 2018
Will join as well.

Game #1: Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap - 06 Jan 2018 (4 hours)

Beautiful game, the hand draw graphics are gorgeous to look at. But the game is really short. Played the Switch versión for portability value.

Game #2: Street Fighter V (Story mode) - 16 Jan 2018 (4 hours)

I played before the AE update for the Fighting Money. The story is horrible. Some fights were really unnecessary (Cammy vs Peter). Finished in normal and extra difficulty.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'd argue NG+ is fairly unique from a regular game, especially when a NG+ can be 20+ hours and some of the DLC or adventure/shorter games listed by people are like 1-3 hours long. Also the OP says replays count.

I'm currently playing Undertale, and I'd personally count the two distinct ways of playing the game as separate items - each requires you to play the game from the very beginning to the end, in essence completing a full game each time.

I mean if I played it one way this year, and another way next year, it'd be listed as two games, and if I played it one way in December and another way in January it'd still be listed as two games. So if I play it one way in March and another in September, why would it only count once?

I think once you start excluding certain things from counting, you get in to a grey area, and why not exclude others? Is it really fair to count 100 iOS games that can be beat in 1-2 hours each as 100x more than a single 150 hour RPG like The Witcher 3? Should a single short DLC really count? It's up to the individual I think.
I think large DLC people in the past have included. Like The Witcher 3 DLC or the Skyrim/Fallout stuff.

orthodoxy1095

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

This has always been a personal challenge, so ultimately it's up to you.

But for me? No, I wouldn't count a clone replay in the same year. An actual expansion pack/DLC a la, Blood and Wine, Dishonored: The Brigmore Witches or even XCOM: Enemy Within I could see counting. But I wouldn't count vanilla run-through #1 and vanilla run-through #2 in the same year.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

10. The Walking Dead Season 1 Ep. 4 - Around Every Corner / 3h - completed 17.01.18

The weakest episode so far. It lacks tension, it plods though most of its running time and the characters it chooses to focus on are just transient and not core to the story, making it feel like a filler episode. I do like what they did with Ben's character, although his faith is pretty much sealed at this point. His arc only has one way to end. The ending sets up the final episode perfectly.
This episode was somehow even more janky than usual, with a lot of slowdown every 20 minutes or so. I'm very tolerant of jank but i really hate the act of playing Telltale games at times.

11. The Walking Dead Season 1 Ep 5 - No Time Left / 1h40 - completed 18.01.17

This is one of the strongest endings in any game i've played. Short and to the gut. Not really gonna say anything that hasn't been said in the last 5 years regarding this series but just that the way these characters stay with me is something i wish more games were able to do. Great writing once again. Glad i replayed these.

Gonna give 400 Days a go next and that will be all new to me. Heard it's good.

Last edited:

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
This has always been a personal challenge, so ultimately it's up to you.

But for me? No, I wouldn't count a clone replay in the same year. An actual expansion pack/DLC a la, Blood and Wine, Dishonored: The Brigmore Witches or even XCOM: Enemy Within I could see counting. But I wouldn't count vanilla run-through #1 and vanilla run-through #2 in the same year.

Ah, fair enough. For me it's a matter of time. I know I have a limited time in a year, and I see no difference in beating a played game or a new one, you're still beating a game. Either replaying counts or it doesn't. Setting an arbitrary amount of time between a reply seems silly to me, especially when replaying the game could provide an very different experience, even though you're playing the same game (like a different class in an RPG, or something similar that changes the way the mechanics interact).

I'm curious how you'd split the following two (seven) games:
- Curse of Monkey Island (1 game, 6 acts, 20 hours)
- Tales of Monkey Island (Contains all 5 chapters, 20 hours) contains:
Tales of Monkey Island Chapter 1 (~4 hours)
Tales of Monkey Island Chapter 2 (~4 hours)
Tales of Monkey Island Chapter 3 (~4 hours)
Tales of Monkey Island Chapter 4 (~4 hours)
Tales of Monkey Island Chapter 5 (~4 hours)

So, would you count Tales as 5 games, since it's sold as 5 standalone parts? But it's all one single story, and also sold as a set, basically episodic gaming, one big game split in to little parts. Also Curse is only sold as 1 game, but takes place in 6 chapters, so if you count Tales as 5 games, why not count Curse as 6 games then? It's a weird line, to decide what's what I guess.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
All episodic games count as 1 for me. And that replay thing was just curiosity, I wouldn't count it either, at most I'll add the time played in my second run to my post, because that will be in fact the amount of time I will have spent with the game, regardless of how I spent it after finishing it.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
3. Azure Striker Gunvolt - 17/01/2018

full.jpg

I used to love this game and completed it on 3DS, but my return trip in preparation for the sequel exposed a lot of flaws in the gameplay.

I hear the sequel is better, though.

Last edited:

orthodoxy1095

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Ah, fair enough. For me it's a matter of time. I know I have a limited time in a year, and I see no difference in beating a played game or a new one, you're still beating a game. Either replaying counts or it doesn't. Setting an arbitrary amount of time between a reply seems silly to me, especially when replaying the game could provide an very different experience, even though you're playing the same game (like a different class in an RPG, or something similar that changes the way the mechanics interact).

I'm curious how you'd split the following two (seven) games:
- Curse of Monkey Island (1 game, 6 acts, 20 hours)
- Tales of Monkey Island (Contains all 5 chapters, 20 hours) contains:
Tales of Monkey Island Chapter 1 (~4 hours)
Tales of Monkey Island Chapter 2 (~4 hours)
Tales of Monkey Island Chapter 3 (~4 hours)
Tales of Monkey Island Chapter 4 (~4 hours)
Tales of Monkey Island Chapter 5 (~4 hours)

So, would you count Tales as 5 games, since it's sold as 5 standalone parts? But it's all one single story, and also sold as a set, basically episodic gaming, one big game split in to little parts. Also Curse is only sold as 1 game, but takes place in 6 chapters, so if you count Tales as 5 games, why not count Curse as 6 games then? It's a weird line, to decide what's what I guess.
Personally, I count the entirety of an episodic game as one. So if there's 5 episodes, that's a total of one game.

The only case where I might not do that is if the episodic game is still coming out and on a particularly delayed schedule. So as some examples, Pillars of the Earth and Kentucky Route Zero still aren't finished. If I started and finished the available episodes before the final episode came out, I would consider counting each episode as a game.

This isn't really a problem for me because I almost always wait for episodic games to be finished before starting them. But I could see why you might want to count them if you're doing playthroughs as they're released.

mrpookles

Oct 29, 2017
Main post.

On the board!

1. Star Wars: Battlefront II (PC) - Completed 18 Jan (17 hrs) - ★★★★

Fun campaign, but the multiplayer is really great. I'll continue to play it, but given I've beaten the campaign, will consider it complete.​

Oct 26, 2017
Belarus
Main Post part 1

-------

6. Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus - 39 hours
Wolfenstein 2 is one of those game that you enjoy a lot, but can't tell anything specific about it. It's a great experience overall, very polished and fun, but it fully depends on your playstyle and what you want from this game. If you don't care about story and game's world, then it possible to complete it in 5 hours (including cutscenes), but if you love reading game's lore and carefully explore every corner of the level, than it can take 20-30 hours of gameplay. Wolfenstein world is incredibly detailed, most levels is pure joy to explore, thought i hoped there was more variety in locations. By the way, graphics are amazing, no screenshots can fully convey how magical this game looks in motion. Main Wolfenstein 2 problem is that New Order exists, we saw most of these before and Wolf2 doesn't add anything really new. It's a very solid game, but unfortunately not a masterpiece, i enjoyed it a lot and not regretting about purchasing it, but it could have been much better. Also, looking forward for DLCs, I'm not done with it yet.

Elynn

Oct 28, 2017
Brittany, France
Main Post

04pyre.png

PC | 9 hours | January 18th
Supergiant's latest is very different from Bastion and Transistor, it's also my favorite. This is a weird mix between a visual novel and a fictional sport game, and it works ! The gameplay is exhilirating and winning or losing is full of consequences for your new friends. The characters are compelling and I cared for all of them in the end, even some that weren't a part of my team, I agonized over
who to send home and when
. The art direction is simply gorgeous and as usual with Supergiant, the soundtrack is amazing. I can't recommend this game enough.

orthodoxy1095

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Main Post

nha2tmA.png

5. Pyre (PS4) - Jan. 10 - Roughly 9.5 hours

You know how in work (or even in school), you can get into a situation where you create really high expectations for yourself? Where you've performed to such a high standard that when you do something that's only pretty cool, you only get an "eh" in response because the bar has just been set so high?

That's how I think that I feel about Supergiant at the moment. Don't get me wrong, I really, really enjoyed Pyre and it'll probably be on my list of Top 10 of 2017. But there was just this feeling when I was playing the game of "Oh yeah, it's another gorgeous Supergiant game with a Darren Korb OST featuring Ashley Barrett." And that kind of bums me out, because I love the setting of Pyre, I love the music and I love the idea of fantasy NBA Jam mixed with a visual novel. But something about it never quite hit me in the way that Bastion or Transistor did. It's hard to step back and think about Pyre without the baggage of who Supergiant is and what they've made. If I do that though, I know that this is a great game, and a really cool world that I'd be happy to return to again in the future.

Should I play Pyre? If you liked Supergiant's other games or have a love for NBA Jam and fantasy, Pyre will be right up your alley.

Tonton

Oct 25, 2017
Main Post

1. Demon Front - 13/01 (PGM Arcade)
One of the main games I used to play in the arcade in my town and I finally got to a chance to play it to completion, the ending is a bit anticlimactic, but the rest of the game is as fun as I remember, a great Metal Slug clone

2. Metal Slug 3 - 18/01 - 1.5h (PC)
My favorite Metal Slug, so a replay is always welcome, beating it with only 45 continues is not for anyone

3. Metal Slug X - 18/01 - 0.9 (PC)

Had some fun in online coop with this one, not as good as 3, but still great

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

12. The Walking Dead - 400 Days / 1h30 - completed 18.01.18

An uneven collection of vignettes. I was expecting something meatier so i'm a bit disappointed with 400 Days. I did like Bonnie's segment but that's about it.There's not really enough time in any of the stories for the characters to breathe.

Deleted member 13148

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Main Post

10. Night in the Woods - Jan. 16 (8h)
header.jpg

I liked this one quite a bit. It dealt with some fairly heavy themes not aimed at teenagers. I think a second playthrough to see some of the other possible choices would help me appreciate everything a bit more, but I really don't want to play through the dream sequences again, so I'll probably just watch some of the sequences I missed on YouTube. The pacing of the story was very odd. The first half-to-two-thirds of the game, you mostly explore the history of the town, and get to know the characters. After that, a new plot pops up, and you start dealing with that at what feels like a breakneck speed.

11. F.E.A.R. - Jan. 18 (7h)
header.jpg

Solid FPS, with repetitive environments, and a passable story. The game is at it's best when fighting squads of soldiers in somewhat open environments. The stronger enemies didn't really feel as interesting to fight against, since it seemed the optimal tactic was to pop out from cover with slow-mo, fire a few shots, then hide behind cover again. They were typically slow enough to not be able to flank you when you did this. I might have enjoyed it more if I bumped up the difficulty a bit, since I rarely felt challenged. Most of my deaths came from glitching through the floors of elevators. I'll probably try out the first expansion, Extraction Point, in the future, but from what I've heard, Perseus Mandate isn't worth my time.

If you want to play this on a modern PC, you'll probably need to grab the low frame rate fix from here. Without it, the game would slow down to a crawl after a few minutes.

remanutd

Oct 29, 2017
New York
The only game that i know i will make the time to play is God of War, the rest i just dont think i will have enough time but if for some weird reason i get time between gym,own business and family then i will try to play Onrush and Spiderman.