• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tambini

Oct 25, 2017
#54 Legend of Grimrock 8 - 14 hours
Very challenging, great puzzles and level design, a bit obtuse at times but thoroughly enjoyable, definitely will check out the sequel.

#55 Mutant Mudds Deluxe 7 - 7 hours
Pretty good, what you see is what you get, very tight controls, decent challenge and just well crafted overall.

Last edited:

Memory Pak

Aug 29, 2018
Main post.
Finished these three 3DS games a few months back, to retire the system entirely.

15. Retro City Rampage DX (2014, 3DS) ★☆☆☆☆
The first hour of this game was really good! The jokes come quick, the overhead GTA style is fun, and lots of funny visual options set you up for a good time. Unfortunately, many of the game's missions quickly turned sour for me, with several infuriating difficulty spikes quickly devolving the experience into one of trial and error.
I have a lot of respect for the developers, who ported this to just about every system, including very late releases on PS3 and even WiiWare, but the predominant memory I have of this game is one of frustration, sadly.

16. Streetpass Mii Plaza: Puzzle Swap (2011, 3DS) ★★★☆☆
I'm counting this as a game. Sure it's a rather slight piece of software, but Streetpassing someone in 2018 is a rarity already, so finally completing all the puzzles felt like a minor achievement. I like the core idea here a lot, swapping puzzle pieces with people you don't even know but apparantly crossed somewhere on the street.

17. Radiant Historia: Perfect Chronology (2018, 3DS) ★★★☆☆
Retiring the 3DS after one final big game. This game's Friendly Mode deserves major props for introducing many quality-of-life features. Auto-winning battles by hitting enemies before ever entering battle is perfect for a portable system. If you do choose to engage in battles though, you'll find a decent turn-based system centered around affecting the order of turns and the position of enemies on a grid.
Storywise this is decent, though I'll admit I liked it a lot more upon initial completion. Now, several months after the fact, I struggle to remember most of it; the story and characters didn't quite stay with me as they did with Chrono Trigger (a much older game), despite being likable overall.

Last edited:

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Main post 1: https://www.resetera.com/posts/2784229/
Main post 2: https://www.resetera.com/posts/5234679/
Main post 3: https://www.resetera.com/posts/12272007/

69. Hercules II: The Cretan Bull / 4h40 completed 19.09.18

latest

Another one of these. A slight improvement on the first game, with hidden puzzle pieces to find that you can then complete to unlock a few bonus levels. Which are pretty much just more of the same as the main levels. There are a few gimmicks added to the maps but they don't really add much tbh. The boss levels i could do without. So maybe not so much of an improvement after all :/

70. Gears of War 3 / 11h10 completed 20.09.18

178901.jpg

Yep. Baird is definitely the best character in this world. For the first time in the series i actually do really like some of the writing, in particular most of Baird's dialogue. It's actually funny, weirdly endearing and even witty at times, which i was not expecting in Gears. The problem is that everything else in this game seems written by 12 year olds for 12 year olds. And then it has Cole Train, which is probably the reason why the word cringe had to be invented. I did have a good laugh at the big Dom dramatic scene though, so that's something to remember.

When it comes to gameplay, Gears 3 felt very uneven, but with a positive overall ratio. It has amazing moments, some of the best in the series. It's intense and quite imaginative when it works. But it also has Cole dunking a football, and human Lambent, which are annoying little shits that like running at you in close quarters and exploding. Hate both. The gunplay feels better than ever but the new guns didn't really do much for me. I barely used them in the end.

I found this to be a pretty good wrap-up of the series, all things said. I might skip Judgment entirely as it doesn't feel like i'll be missing much, and go straight to 4, which actually looks dope and somewhat of a return to the tone of the first game, which is still my favorite i think.

His Majesty

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
L6cwWKI.png

10 | Shadow of the Tomb Raider | PC
Time: 20 hours
Score: 5/10

+ Beautiful locations and set pieces
+ Less combat encounters
+ A bit of character development
+ Underwater sections
+ Challenge tombs are cool

- Story is still awful
- Writing and side characters range from mediocre to bad
- Progression is the same as in previous games and very unsatisfying
- Side quests are mostly bad
- Piranhas...whose idea was this?

Game didn't do a lot for me. It has refined the formula that has been building up over the rebooted series but none of it feels like a real step forward, we keep retreading the same territory over and over again. Lara, a few scenes aside, remains a mostly uninteresting character and besides Jonah there is actually no one worth mentioning in this story. It's kind of amazing how the developers manage to create such beautiful locations and populate them with the most boring characters imaginable.

Main post.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
104. Steel Empire

This was a pretty decent shoot'em-up. Dodging the red bullets can be difficult at times due to visibility on the screen but I enjoyed my time with this game.

Nov 14, 2017
Haven't updated in a while....

Main Post

Game #4: inFamous: First Light [PS4] - 5 Hours
banner-10.jpg

Completed - 4 March
Score: 7,5/10
+ Protagonist
+ Pacing
+ Gameplay
- Some characters
- Short
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Game #5: Halo 3 Remastered [XB1s] - 9 Hours
halo-3a-finish-the-fight-3.jpg

Completed - 18 March
Score: 8,8/10
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Game #6: Hellblade: Senuas Sacrifice [PS4] - 8 Hours
hellblade-senuas-sacrifice-xbox-one-digital-offline-D_NQ_NP_873702-MLB27092190612_032018-F.jpg

Completed - 29 March
Score: 9/10
+ Solid gameplay
+ Characters and performances
+ Incredible graphics
+ Possibly best audio ever
- Puzzles are on the easy side, and not very satisfying to complete
Game #7: Halo 4 Remastered [XB1s] - 8 Hours
236147_scr1_a.png

Completed - 1 April
Score: 8,8/10
+ Gameplay
+ Pacing
+ Graphics and performance
- A few story missions
Game #8: Uncharted: Lost Legacy [PS4P] - 7 Hours
wwgunchartedthelostlegacy-1003238.jpg

Completed - 18 April
Score: 9,5/10
+ Gameplay (similar to U4)
+ Amazing story
+ The characters and the bond between the protagonists
+ Amazing pacing
+ Cool puzzles
+ Incredible ending
Game #9: God of War (2018) [PS4P] - 51 Hours
god-of-war-20180402115205.jpg

Completed - 18 April
Score: 10/10
+ Gameplay
+ Story
+ Characters (Kratos is incredible)
+ Ending
+ Graphics
Game #10: Batman Arkham Knight [PS4P] - 15 Hours
header.jpg

Completed - 9 June
Score: 7,5/10
+- Gameplay (that becomes repetitive as usual with this franchise)
+ Batmobile (at least in a few missions)
+ Graphics
+ Story
+ Characters
- Becomes very repetative
- "Hidden" ending

Game #11: Late Shift [XB1s] - 2 Hours (via GamePass)
header.jpg

Completed - 23 June
Score: 5/10
Game #12: Allumette [PS4 - Virtual Reality] - 25 minutes
header.jpg

Completed - 14 July
Score: 7/10 (for VR)
Game #13: PSVR Worlds: London Heist [PS4 - Virtual Reality] - 40 minutes
londonheist2.jpg

Completed - 9 August
Score: 8/10 (for VR)
+ Good gameplay
+ Interesting Story
- Extremely short
Game #14: Batman Arkham VR [PS4 - Virtual Reality] - 2 hours

BatmanLogo-580x326.png

Completed - 13 August
Score: 7/10 (for VR)

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Original Post
105. Cardinal Sins

This is a short shoot'em-up that is part of the Judgement Silversword release on Steam. You play through 7 stages in order to get the best score while dodging bullets and completing certain objectives as told by the screen before starting a stage.
Rather decent 8-bit Bullet Hell.

StarPhlox

Oct 25, 2017
Wisconsin
73) Spider-Man - This is easily among my top games of the year and I would argue the best game that Insomniac have made so far. The traversal is a blast, the story is wonderful, and the characters are well developed and believable. Loved the main quests, but could do without a lot of the collectibles.

3393264-spider-man-ps4.jpg

74) Xenoblade Chronicles 2 : Torna ~ The Golden Country - This is among the best DLCs I have ever played. All in all I clocked in around 15 hours to complete it and, aside from problems that plagued the main game as well (field skills, crafting is a chore) I had a wonderful time. The community aspect absolutely could have used a tweak, but it wasn't as egregious as I was lead to believe. The story was fun and well contained, the graphics and performance (minus the final half hour or so) was fantastic, and I loved the faster gameplay with switching between drivers and blades. Torna is a fantastic expansion on one of my favorite RPGs of the last couple years and it's a must for fans of the base game.
xenoblade-chronicles-2-torna-collectibles-1024x576.jpg

Oct 27, 2017
Main Post

49. Metal Gear Solid - PS3

Completed 9/23/18
Score - 9/10

Felt good to go back and play this for the first time since it originally released. My memories made me think of this as a stealth game but playing it now it was almost boss fight after boss fight...which I loved. This game has some of the best boss fights and they are almost all unique (still hate the Rex fight though). Psycho Mantis was a game changer for me and he was still pretty BA after all these years and knowing his tricks. I was worried about the controls but I got used to them fairly quickly. I really think the game holds up, outside of some really cringe dialogue. For some reason I really find the graphics endearing. Still a classic and still deserves to be played. After a bit I am going to give Twin Snakes another play (I liked it).

So CLOSE to the end of 52 games. I didn't think I would make it. Game 52 is going to have to be something special.

mgs1_grayfox_03.gif

Oct 27, 2017
50. MGS 2
51. MGS 3
52. MGS Ac!d

There ya go.

I wish I could play these on my PSTV. I don't have a PSP and don't know how else to play them! I own every other game in the series. Beat 2,4,GZ,TS and half of Portable Ops. Planning on beating them all in some sort of order now. If there is a way for me to play Ac!d I am interested!

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wish I could play these on my PSTV. I don't have a PSP and don't know how else to play them! I own every other game in the series. Beat 2,4,GZ,TS and half of Portable Ops. Planning on beating them all in some sort of order now. If there is a way for me to play Ac!d I am interested!

If you own them, you could always emulate them on PC. Both Ac!d games are fantastic.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
106. Onechanbara Z2 Chaos

Rather decent musou-like action game. The fact that the game's tutorial consists of around 30 pages shows that the team at least had a good combat system idea despite its simplicity.
One of my major issues with the game though is its length as I felt it was 30% longer than it had any right to be.

CrazyAznKT

Nov 8, 2017
Ayyy, it's been a while! Life's still a bit rocky so I've been playing less. Been playing smaller games, been slowly chipping away at some of the bigger games I've been playing but still haven't fully finished them. Let's get into it!

MAIN POST

JULY
42. Mom Hid My Game (3DS) - 2/4 (Completed July 20, 2018)
Completed All Puzzles
U8VmAHm.jpg

Really short game, was hoping this would be more of a puzzle game but it's more like a comedy told through gameplay. It breaks previously established rules often for gags so you're more encouraged to just mess around with every situation to get all the jokes instead of trying to solve the puzzles. Which is fine, I liked Framed for those exact reasons, but that felt like it followed more concrete rules. Here, I don't feel the need to play all the other games in the series because I kind of get the point already. Not badly made or anything, just boring to me but I get the appeal for people who like it.

43. Dandara (Switch) - 4/4 (Completed July 21, 2018)
Completed Main Story | 100% Exploration, Chests, Glossary
dGT2Sm9.jpg

I love this game, it's gorgeous! It's so satisfying to just zip across levels. It's a Metroid-like but defies the format often, doors unlock at checkpoints but you don't gain new abilities for them, the new abilities you get are more like Options from Strider, so mastering the base gameplay is very important in this game. The music is mystifying, the art is fluid, I kind of wish there were more bosses. I want more of this game in general, the world is interesting but there doesn't feel like there's enough.

44. Sonic Mania Plus (Switch) - 4/4 (Completed July 23, 2018)
Completed Encore Mode (Sans Egg Reverie)
qakT8bm.jpg

Encore mode was fascinating. I wasn't well versed in classic Sonic gameplay before, but I was much faster and felt more in control this time around. Levels were changed up enough that I wasn't playing entirely from memory. The gameplay mechanic of having a stockpile of characters instead of lives was really fun since I only played the base game with Sonic with Tails. The bonus levels were even tougher than before so I still haven't gone through and gotten enough Chaos emeralds to do Egg Reverie, but I still love the game nonetheless.

AUGUST
45. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Trials and Tribulations (3DS) - 4/4 (Completed Aug 21, 2018)
Completed Main Story
vXARU70.jpg

So I have a bit of a sour taste from this game because I broke my 3DS and had to buy a new one and restart this game. After sitting on it for a while, I think this is my favorite Ace Attorney game. The way the overarching narrative jumped back and forth between the present and the past was a lot of fun and it just tied together so neatly. The consecutive trials of Ron Delite were a brain twister and a nice change from the usual formula even though I didn't like him that much and it didn't tie into the ending much. I'm a bit hesitant to continue with the series since I hear a lot of the hanging threads from this game aren't revisited and a lot of classic characters never show up again.

46. Wario Ware, Inc.: Mega Microgame$ (3DS - GBA VC) - 4/4 (Completed Aug 27, 2018)
Completed Main Story
gzPQtiH.jpg

I was really felt like playing the new Wario Ware game but money's a bit tight. I played through the demo for the 3DS game a bunch! I have a bit of a weird history with this series in that I've never played through any of the games but I've also made an homage to it for a college class project. Back to the subject at hand, I found out I got the first game in the series free through the 3DS Ambassador program ages ago! I didn't unlock everything but this game is insanely fun and scratched the itch I had for this type of gameplay. I'll come back to this eventually, it's so damn charming.

47. Picross S2 (Switch) - 4/4 (Completed Aug 29, 2018)
Completed All Picross, Mega Picross, And Clip Picross Puzzles
XB2oiGv.jpg

It's more Picross. It's the same game every time with more puzzles. I blaze through these games, it's an addiction. I thought I wouldn't enjoy the new Clip Picross puzzles at first but now I much prefer them over the monotonous Micross puzzles from the e series. The new counting mechanic is very helpful, gotta love quality of life improvements. This just feels like a much more complete game compared to Picross S1.

SEPTEMBER
48. Tekken 7 + Season 1 (PS4) - 4/4 ("Completed" Sept 4, 2018)
Completed Story | 75% Trophies | Completed All Character Stories
dWxQ37R.jpg

Tekken 7 is amazing! The last Tekken game I really liked was Tag Tournament 2, so when all my FGC friends were telling me how into it they were, I had to get in on the action. Season 1 has been insane! I never thought Tekken would transform into the crossover king it now is. I finished the story a while back but I didn't want to include it on this list until I had messed around with all the season 1 characters after they came out. Season 2 just started and while I don't play it enough, I'm excited to see where this game goes in the upcoming year. Oh and my "mains" are Bob, Xiaoyu, and Asuka.

49. Marvel's Spider-Man (2018) (PS4) - 4/4 (Completed Sept 11, 2018)
Completed Story | Amazing Difficulty | 100% Trophies | Collected All Secret Photo Ops
mB41aPI.jpg

I feel like I have to tread carefully for every PS4 exclusive. Upfront, a lot of this game has outdated gameplay and pads its content - but it feels GREAT! I absolutely don't care that this feels like an old game, the swinging smooth and active, the combat while familiar is very engaging, and the costume choices were different from what usually shows up. I love that this takes place in a later point in Peter's career and the world feels modern. There's so much more I can say about how polished this game is but it's all been said. The story beats were fairly predictable but it was a fun ride. My biggest gripe is that the world feels kind of isolated since no other Marvel heroes show up, especially in that last act. It's not exactly innovative but I don't need it to be, I still want to revisit it even though I've done everything. I can't wait for the DLC to drop, I really hope it's substantial.

50. Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix HD (PS4) - 4/4 (Completed Sept 23, 2018)
Completed Story | 100% Trophies | Beat All Secret Bosses | Played 2x (Easy and Critical)
pLUqvgB.jpg

The Kingdom Hearts replay continues! Again, skipping cutscenes. I honestly know the story well enough to not feel the need to watch them all again. I'm not here to get into it though. The gameplay is solid as ever, I love playing this through Critical. I initially attempted a LVL 1 Crit run but I wussed out. This is only my 2nd/3rd time going through the Final Mix version, can't even say how many playthoughs I've done overall. The Data Battles are brilliantly challenging even on Easy. I couldn't even beat Lingering Sentiment on Easy without the 1-hit/jump strat but I'll do it one day. KHIII hype is real, onto the BBS replay now!

I wanted to make KHII my 52 but I couldn't put it off any longer, I gotta figure out something special to fill it, KH BBS and TLoZ Oracle of Ages which I'm near finishing don't feel right.
I'M SO CLOSE, I CAN TASTE THAT 52

Last edited:

LonestarZues

Oct 27, 2017
Master Post:
https://www.resetera.com/posts/3243362

67. Life is Strange 2: Episode 1- PS4 - 9/26 - 4 hours: Amazing start to the new season. As a 1st generation American (parents are from Mexico as well) I can relate to the issues the brothers go thru as far as racism go. A certain scene hit real close to home and now I'll patiently wait for episode 2.

68. Mass Effect 3 - Xbox 1 - 9/27 - 55 hours: Did a full replay with all dlc. Really love how it begins and ends on Earth. Also enjoyed the high stakes throughout the game with the Reapers chasing you while you're scanning planets and all the encounters with them.

69. Resistance: Fall of Man - PS3 - 10/1 - 8 hours: Replaying this has me yearning for a Remastered collection of the trilogy. Never was a fan of the click R3 to zoom in any game, but did like the weapon variety that Insomniac did and does feel like an Insomniac game. Really like the narrative as well as it does just enough to keep you engaged.

70. Astro Bot Rescue Mission - PSVR - 10/4 - 7 hours: Best game I've played on VR and will be in my GotY contender list. Gameplay and OST are top tier.

Last edited:

PC90

Enlightened
Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Original post

h2x1_nswitch_monsterh2fc17.jpg

51) Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate (Switch, 100 hours)
First time I really got into Monster Hunter since 3U, had a blast all over again. Reached credits, obviously I could play a lot more, but I kinda feel like I'm done.

Currently playing:
Dragon Quest XI
Detective Pikachu
Picross S2

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
lc8mGJR.jpg

Game #56 - Marvel's Spider-Man
Time: 30+ hours

Well it's official, Insomniac did for Spider-Man what Rocksteady did for Batman. Fantastic game and a compleet franchise maker (and with the sales to back it up thankfully), this is from top to bottom an amazing representation of Spidey, both from a gameplay standpoint, visually and shockingly, story wise. The story is actually really good, surprisingly mature and emotional, it handles multiple villains and retcons (compared to the comics anyway) well aswell, it creates it's own universe while staying very faithful to the source material. Huge game too (if you want it to be) with the usual open world sidequests and activities, made very toreable because the game is just a joy to play. the only downside is, like most people say, the stealth sections. Everytime you step out of Pete's shoes to play another character it's just a mess and not fun in the slightest. I get what Insomniac was going for, but it's the one thing the game doesnt land. Get some guest stars next time if you must change it up during the campaign so you can still maintain the same gameplay (Daredevil anyone?) but no more inane stealth missions please. Anyway, just an absolute joy and easily recomended to anyone.

Main Post

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
51. Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers - 28/09/2018

A genre mashup that's like a JRPG take on Snow Crash. The delightfully 90s cyberpunk aesthetic and endearingly bad voice acting do a lot to make up for the game's age, and it's done so pretty gracefully by the standards of classic MegaTen.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Main post 1: https://www.resetera.com/posts/2784229/
Main post 2: https://www.resetera.com/posts/5234679/
Main post 3: https://www.resetera.com/posts/12272007/

71. Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare / 9h40 completed 23.09.18

20161211120725.jpg

Infinity Ward has crafted one of the best shooter campaigns i've played in quite a while. The way it keeps jumping between different gameplay styles while being coherent in its approach is remarkable, as are the the writing and world the game delivers. Although the dialogue sometimes veers into military drone talk as usual in CoD, the small, more personal details make all the difference, as every time our MC Reyes and his wingman Salter interact. It's credible and very engaging character work. The antagonist feels disappointing in contrast. He's got his interesting lines, but ends up being pretty one note overall. The world these characters inhabit feels a tad underdeveloped as well, though the visuals make it a sight to behold. IW is a gorgeous game at times. Another thing i really liked is how the game is structured around a Solar System map from where you choose what mission to tackle next. Around half the game being completely optional is kind of a bold move nowadays in the AAA space as well, usually being something only seen in open world games.

All this wrapping is fantastic and makes the game truly shine, but it would matter little in a CoD game without the wonderful gameplay underneath it. From the quality trademark gunplay to the very interesting skills available, from wallrunning while dropping hordes or robots to the space combat, in and out of a ship. It's all good stuff.

I hadn't really enjoyed a Call of Duty campaign quite as much since the original Modern Warfare. Though not a watershed moment like that game was, i feel it's up there in terms of sheer quality and i really hope Infinity Ward does not abandon their single player efforts next time around.

JustinBB7

Nov 16, 2017
Never gamed as much as I have this year. Beat my entire PC backlog, bought a PS3 and after that a PS4 Pro. Playing Beyond Two Souls now (almost done) and starting Last Of Us HD on Monday. Planning to play Red Dead 2, Throne Breaker, Bloodbourne, God Of War all this year as well. If I can make it, Uncharted series and Horizon Zero Dawn too. Guess this is my main post and ill update my list as I go!

1.Getting Over It With Bennett Foddy
2.VRChat – Early Access – No Headset
3.The Legend Of Zelda - Breath Of The Wild
4.Summoners War: Sky Arena
5.They Are Billions – Early Access
6.Doki Doki Literature Club!
7.Payday 2
8.Sakura Fantasy Chapter 1
9.Sakura Beach
10.Sakura Swim Club
11.Town Of Salem
12.Sakura Beach 2
13.Sakura Santa
14.Sakura Shrine Girls
15.Sakura Space
16.Sakura Nova
17.Sakura Agent
18.Sakura Magical Girls
19.Senran Kagura: Peach Beach Splash
20.Assassin's Creed – Unity
21.Telltale Batman – The Enemy Within
22.Gothicc Breaker
23.Golfing Over It with Alva Majo
24.Saints Row IV
25.Saints Row: Gat Out Of Hell
26.Dead Island
27.Castle Crashers
28.Demon's Souls
29.Metal Gear Solid
30.Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons Of Liberty
31.Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
32.Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns Of The Patriots
33.Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker
34:Metal Gear
35:Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake
36:Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes
37:Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
38.Red Dead Redemption
39.God Of War
40.God Of War 2
41.God Of War: Chains Of Olympus
42.God Of War: Ghost Of Sparta
43.Lara Croft And The Guardian Of Light
44.God Of War: Ascension
45.Telltale The Walking Dead: The Final Season - Done Running
46.Nier
47.God Of War 3 Remastered
48.Heavy Rain
49.World Of Warcraft – Starter Edition
50.Spider-Man
51.Shadow Of The Tomb Raider
52.Telltale The Walking Dead: The Final Season – Suffer The Children
53.For Honor
54.Injustice: God Among Us – Ultimate Edition
55.Beyond: Two Souls
56.The Last Of Us Remastered
57.Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
58.Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
59.Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception
60.Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
61.Call Of Duty: Black Ops 4
62.Thronebreaker: The Witcher Tales
63.Red Dead Redemption 2
64.Bloodborne: Game Of The Year Edition
65.God Of War
66.Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
67.Gwent: Homecoming
68.Horizon Zero Dawn: Complete Edition
69.Call Of Duty: Black Ops
70.Call Of Duty Black Ops II
71.Dragon's Crown Pro
72.Artifact
73.Call Of Duty: Black Ops III
74.Spyro The Dragon: Reignited

I beat my 52th game on September 25th.

Last edited:

DontBlink

Oct 25, 2017
Original post

July update - 16/52 games completed

Honestly don't remember much of July. Pretty sure Fortnite was still the priority, which is why there is just one lonely game to add again.

672638a.jpg

16. Star Fox (SNES) - 1:16
Feels weird to say that I never actually beat any of the Star Fox game, even though I did play tiny bits of some of them. Starting off with the original, I came away disappointed and frustrated. Understandably, for a game over 20 years old, there will surely be some jank expected and it definitely shows. The low frame rate is already well known, but the graphics proved to be the biggest obstacle for me - it's just really difficult to see what's happening. You're constantly moving around to avoid lasers and missiles, which often times come from off-screen, there's a bunch of enemies flying in circles, and explosions block half of your view, resulting in a frustrating experience. Ended up not having much fun and just wanted to get it over with.

Spyware

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
...I should update more often.

pKcDX4H.png

Game #127: Spider-Man
Started 8 Sep. 2018 - Completed 13 Sep. 2018
Verdict: Amazing, just like Spider-Man should be.

Oh my. I have nothing negative to say about it game. I have always loved Spidey and this one was an absolute joy in every way. He's funny, he's cool and he's a joy to control. The story is great, the traversal is just perfect and I don't even mind the stealth parts everyone keeps bashing. Had a great time with the side stuff too, even the quite repetitive crimes since I really liked the combat and experimenting with all the different suit mods and powers and that spiced things up a lot. Most likely GotY for me.​

lzAjRe3.png

Game #128: Conan Exiles
Started 22 Jun. 2018 - Beaten 13 Sep. 2018
Verdict: Way more fun than it has the right to be!

I had no idea this game existed before I saw a promo pic for it somewhere right as it released from early access and fell in love with the look of that pic. Had to go check what game it was from and got quite sad when I realized it was a Conan multiplayer survival game. I hate multiplayer and Conan isn't a setting that I would ever think was interesting. But I read about how nice it worked in single player, how many nice mods it had and how easy it was to fix a private server to play co-op with your own settings and such. So I gave it a chance and I am so happy I did! The building is an absolute joy, and I have built so many nice things. The climbing works just like in BotW where you can climb basically anything as long as you have stamina. I am far from done with the game since I wanna build more and they are planning some fun updates that I will be back for. But I explored the whole map and finished all the journey steps that are not bugged so I count it as beaten.​

mF5vnJM.png

Game #129: Rosa Pantern i Resa på Egen Risk (The Pink Panther: Passport to Peril)
Started 15 Sep. 2018 - Completed 15 Sep. 2018
Verdict: Still funny, and the songs are great!

I choose to use the Swedish names for these games since I played them in Swedish, both as a kid an now when I replayed them. I have kept both games since I was little and have been wanting to replay them for ages. I couldn't get them to work on modern systems tho and I had basically given up. But I randomly stumbled upon a really recent thread on a Swedish forum where someone asked for help playing specifically these games on Win10, and got answers that worked! I couldn't believe my luck, I am still a bit baffled. I had so much fun replaying it and now as an adult it was super fun to hear some familiar Swedish voice actors in these pretty crazy roles. I think some things in the game would never have been in there if it was made today, and some things are quite problematic. It's interesting (and nice) how quickly things can change in that regard. Anyway, it's still a pretty fun edutainment point and click that focuses on trading things instead of hoarding objects to combine into absurd solutions. Also, I remembered all the lyrics to the great songs in the game. I will never forget the songs about Taj Mahal and Bhutan!​

47o86FG.png

Game #130: Rosa Pantern i Hokus Pokus Panter (The Pink Panther: Hokus Pokus Pink)
Started 15 Sep. 2018 - Completed 15 Sep. 2018
Verdict: Just as nice as the first game.

Not much has changed in this sequel aside from the themes. I think I like this slightly better but it is close. The songs aren't as good tho!​

Iah2EaJ.png

Game #131: Yoku's Island Express
Started 15 Sep. 2018 - Beaten 1 Sep. 2018
Verdict: Adorable but a bit confusing to navigate at times.

This game was recommended to me when I asked for a fun non-challenging game a while back (and ended up playing other things). I reached Y in my "alphabet challenge" a while back and decided it would be a good time to play this now. It's a very unique game with the metroidvania style combined with pinball and it works very well. I found it a bit hard to navigate at times, and I got really frustrated a couple of times. I ended up feeling done when I reached the credits, but I think I'll be back to complete it some other time. I did have a lot of fun with it.​

F0fcvMn.png

Game #132: Zup!
Started 17 Sep. 2018 - Completed 17 Sep. 2018
Verdict: Too simple.

This is what can be called an "achievement spam game" that basically sell because they provide achievements with letters and numbers so you can spell out stuff on your profile and pad your cheevo numbers. The game is about 20 minutes long and during that time you unlock the 118 (!) cheevos without even trying. The game itself it a simple but actually quite fun puzzle-ish game where you explode blocks with a click to get another block to a specific place. The outcome of a click is always the same so you can just trial and error your way through the game. At the end they introduce a timing element which made the game a lot more fun and due to that I think that I might give the rest of the games a try. They are short, cheap, have trading cards and pad my cheevo numbers after all. ;)​

8sfbY0w.png

Game #133: Another Lost Phone: Laura's Story
Started 21 Sep. 2018 - Completed 21 Sep. 2018
Verdict: Much better than the first one.

I wasn't really a huge fan of A Normal Lost Phone. It felt weird to rummage through a stranger's personal life, especially considering the theme of the game. The theme was good and needs exposure, even tho I think it ends up "preaching to the choir". It did have some nice info and such that maybe help some people understand those things better. Don't wanna say more because of the obvious spoilers. Anyway, the game was good enough to make me interested in the sequel and I liked this a lot more. I understood what the theme was in just seconds after I started reading, and it really spoke to me. The whole "dig into a stranger's phone" things still felt off but this theme works better with it. They also framed it as something that was maybe supposed to happen.​

JqGi6dv.png

Game #134: Blackwood Crossing
Started 21 Sep. 2018 - Completed 22 Sep. 2018
Verdict: Wonky, but spooky and cute.

I knew absolutely nothing about this game aside from it being story focused. It's a pretty creepy "walking sim" with good pacing and lots of charm. The controls felt off at all times tho, both with m/kb and controller, and the FoV is super claustrophobic. In the end it didn't really matter since the game doesn't rely in the controls being snappy or anything, and I had a good time.​

0K4XXhs.png

Game #135: The Coma: Recut
Started 22 Sep. 2018 - Completed 23 Sep. 2018
Verdict: Superb! Hectic and scary in just the way I like it.

I knew this was a horror game with amazing art design. It ended up being surprisingly horrifying in the "good stressful" way while also making me engaged in the story and main character. It's the type of horror game that has an enemy stalking you, appearing at random (and some scripted) times and the only thing you can do is hiding from it until it goes away again. I wasn't a huge fan of this type before but I have grown to like it quite a bit, and this was a really nice game in the genre. The sounds are superb, I am super impressed by it. The end got a tiny bit frustrating but beating it was a good enough reward that I can overlook it.​

oWe5BGg.png

Game #136: Detention
Started 24 Sep. 2018 - Completed 24 Sep. 2018
Verdict: Atmospheric and haunting.

A horror game with an asian school setting... I wonder where I have heard that before? It probably wasn't the best idea to play this and The Coma back to back but aside from the setting they are very different. This is the atmospheric kind of horror and not at all hectic, relying more on unnerving you with a form of ghostly feel. The story is based on actual horrifying events just a couple of decades ago and it was very informative, interesting and sad in the middle of all the spookiness.​

CHLt3XW.png

Game #137: ECHO
Started 26 Sep. 2018 - Beaten 27 Sep. 2018
Verdict: One of the biggest surprises of the year, loved it.

Walking through pretty and unnerving locations, avoiding super creepy enemies in a really unique way while getting to hear a lot of Rose Leslie? Yeah it's as good as it sounds! It takes a while to get going and it takes even longer to get into the gameplay. But when it clicks it's just amazing. The game works in timed cycles depending on what you do and every cycle the enemies will learn and use ("echo") everything you did in the previous cycle and they will also respawn if you killed them. If you walked through water, they will be able to do that next time, but not if you didn't do it. It doesn't really matter what they know if you manage to play stealthy but it is far from easy to do that. It's way quicker, easier and more fun to plan the use of abilities and be tactical around the enemies. The game won't click with most people but it really clicked with me. One of the best surprises of the year.​

nEPjv0T.png

Game #138: The First Tree
Started 27 Sep. 2018 - Completed 28 Sep. 2018
Verdict: Buggy and sluggish.

This is a "walking sim" of the kind where you walk long distances to reach the next area where you get to hear a bit of some story. Not a fan of that, it just feels sluggish. This one has collectibles thrown in but they don't add anything to the game at all. It can look quite good, but isn't really special in that regard either. It's also very easy to get stuck in the environments which means you have to restart the whole level. There is no save system. A disappointing experience.​

_

Master Post!

CrazyAznKT

Nov 8, 2017
Spyware Not gonna lie, very jealous of your banners. So simple and elegant. Been thinking about how to redesign my stuff for next year without seeming like I'm stealing your style haha

Bosh

Oct 26, 2017
MAIN THREAD 1
MAIN THREAD 2

220px-Spider-Man_PS4_cover.jpg

#49: Spider Man (9/16/2018) | 10/10 | PS4 | ~ 35Hours | Recommend: Y
#
Overall - 10 | Insomniacs greatest game to date as well as one of the best exclusives this generation
Gameplay - 9.2 | One of the funnest games I have played this year. The game makes you feel free
Sound - 10 | Fantastic voice acting, as well as soundtrack. City feels alive through sound
Story/Online - 10 | A human story that got me engrossed into the SM universe afterwards
Asking Price- 9.33 | Ton of content, some of the side content is great and some is generic

3d170869ef6b2048d194d0bed2beb7dd69d487bb_128.jpg

#50: Forza Horizon 3 (9/22/2018) | 10/10 | Xbox One | ~ 14Hours | Recommend: Y
#
Overall - 9 | Aggregate of 4 components below. Decimal rounded up or down by personal bias.
Gameplay - 8.4 | Refined experience from FH2. Didn't enjoy shift in events from #2, but still great racer
Sound - 9 | Cars sound good, soundtrack is an absolute banger. VA is way to cheesy

Story/Online - NA | VROOOOOM ... Hey _____ a new race is available.....VROOOOOM
Asking Price- 9 | Big world, lots of cars, lots of content.

Illusionary

Oct 25, 2017
Manchester, UK
Another solid month for me for September, with 12 games beaten taking me to 78 in total. 100 is actually looking like a realistic target for the full year, which I hadn't been expecting!

For my full list, part one can be found here: https://www.resetera.com/posts/2732807/
Parts two and three are here: https://www.resetera.com/posts/8440648/

header.jpg

67. Technobabylon (Steam) - 2 September 2018
Completed with 100% of achievements unlocked. Technobablyon is the last of Wadjet Eye's games for me to play out of those that I currently own, and once again it didn't disappoint. With a 'cyberpunk' setting, it's very different from the Blackwell series that I started out with, but no less enjoyable for that. I did find that a few of the puzzle solutions were a little less intuitive than they might have been due to this futuristic setting, but that wasn't a very common issue, and the setting has the benefit of bringing with it a dual-world mechanic - the 'cyberspace'-style 'trance' - which I always enjoy in games. Another enjoyable, though a little less memorable, plot rounds out another positive experience.

header.jpg

68. Year Walk (Steam) - 9 September 2018
Completed with 100% of achievements unlocked. A rather strange game, Year Walk is a horror-themed first-person adventure game with fairly light puzzles, based around Nordic folklore. The game's excellent when it comes to creating an appropriately creepy atmosphere, through its graphics, sound and the various encounters that you'll proceed through, but I didn't particularly enjoy the gameplay, with the puzzles often not conveyed particularly clearly. I can see how this would appeal quite strongly to some, especially horror fans, but not really a game for me.

header.jpg

69. Guacamelee! 2 (PS4) - 13 September 2018
Platinum trophy earned, including 100% complete playthrough on both normal and hard modes. Guacamelee! 2 is a textbook example of how to do a sequel, taking the positives of the first game and comprehensively building and improving on these. The combination of tight combat in a well-designed 'Metroidvania'-style open-world, with superbly stylistic and colourful graphics comes together fantastically. I'd particularly call out the satisfying platforming mechanics, which make use of fighting moves to aid traversal (e.g., an uppercut can be used to gain height) - the difficulty here is very well-judged and, while there are a few moments of frustration that are inevitable with challenging platforming sequences, the sense of satisfaction that comes as a payoff for eventual success more than makes up for this. Frequent humourous elements and abundant references to other IPs, from LIMBO to God of War and Street Fighter, round out the package - overall, Guacamelee! 2 is superb.

Framed-2.jpg

70. Framed 2 (Switch) - 14 September 2018
Complete playthrough. Very similar in approach to the original Framed, this sequel again tasks the player with manipulation of comic-style scenes to allow various protagonists to proceed unharmed through the sequence. Framed 2 builds on this with some more complex scenarios and a wider range of actions depicted in each scene - this can occasionally lead to frustration and resorting to trial-and-error, but such moments are infrequent and overall the Framed 2 is just as satisfying as the first game, while also retaining a superb sense of style throughout.

header.jpg

71. To The Moon (Steam) - 17 September 2018
Complete playthrough. Created with RPG Maker, To The Moon's gameplay mechanics are fairly limited, primarily requiring the collection of various objects throughout a range of scenarios, but that's not the reason to come to this game. Where To The Moon excels is with its interesting narrative premise, based around exploration and manipulation of memories, and tells a touching and engrossing story; to say too much about the specifics of the plot would be a spoiler, but there are some interesting twists and a satisfying ending - it's easily worth playing on this basis alone.

header.jpg

72. Goetia (Switch) - 18 September 2018
Completed with good ending; 100% of codex entries collected. With an appropriately dark and mysterious setting, Goetia puts the player in control of the spirit of a former inhabitant of a now-abandoned mansion and tasks you with exploring the mansion and its surroundings in an attempt to uncover the events that have led it to this state. Although dark in tone and with death as a common theme, Goetia is more atmospheric and somewhat creepy than it is horror, and the game does a good job of capturing this feeling through its story and soundtrack. What may let the game down in the eyes of some is its difficulty - many puzzles have solutions that, while they may make sense in hindsight, are not at all obvious to work out, especially with key items and interactive elements not necessarily being easy to locate. If you're prepared for this difficulty and find the theme interesting, you'll likely enjoy Goetia, but otherwise itI'd suggest being a little wary.

header.jpg

73. A Normal Lost Phone (Steam) - 21 September 2018
Completed with 100% of achievements unlocked. A Normal Lost Phone, as its name suggests, presents you with an ostensibly normal smartphone that you've found abandoned, tasking you with investigating the story behind the phone's owner through the phone interface and the information stored on it. This comes across as an unusual and well-realised form of story-telling, as you're largely left to uncover the story in a freeform manner, investigating messages and other content in whatever order you choose - albeit some (needed) structure is afforded by gating off certain areas behind access controls/passwords that you'll find from other areas. This open nature results in a satisfying experience and you're drawn into finding out as much as you can about the story... in a way that ultimately feels almost uncomfortably intimate as you discover more. Recommended.

header.jpg

74. Thimbleweed Park (PS4) - 22 September 2018
Platinum trophy earned, including complete playthrough on both casual and hard modes. A delightful throwback to the days of the classic LucasArts-style point-and-click adventure games (which I loved in their time), I thoroughly enjoyed Thimbleweed Park. While the game makes use of an interface very much like the SCUMM system used by those older games, there are intelligent improvements coming from more modern game design - for the most part, puzzle solutions make sense, limiting the extent to which trial-and-error is needed to work out what might have been obscure solutions that older games might expect - and a 'casual mode' and in-game hint system serve to address those situations where you still find yourself stuck.

Of course, LucasArts adventures also typically conveyed a great sense of humour, and Thimbleweed Park doesn't disappoint, with Ron Gilbert back at his best for the game's script. Thimblweed Park's plot starts very much along the lines of the investigation scenario of Twin Peaks, but increasingly diverges with elements of parody as you proceed through the game's nine parts; ultimately, the conclusion isn't an satisfying as it might be, depending on what you might be expecting, but the path that it takes is unusual and interesting as a result.

header.jpg

75. Another Lost Phone: Laura's Story (Steam) - 23 September 2018
Completed with 100% of achievements unlocked. From the same developers as A Normal Lost Phone, this follow-up works in a similar way, again presenting you with a smartphone interface and a story to uncover about the phone's owner. Again, I enjoyed this fairly freeform investigative gameplay, and Another Lost Phone develops nicely on the earlier game in a number of ways. The underlying story is more involved and has more surrounding detail to discover, there's a greater range of functionality and simulated 'apps' to investigate, and overall just a higher level of polish - overall, another well-realised experience.

header.jpg

76. Celeste (PS4) - 27 September 2018
Platinum trophy earned, including all 200 strawberries and 24 crystal hearts (assist mode not used until B-sides and C-sides). Celeste is a fantastic experience as a platformer - at times brutally difficult, but all the more rewarding for that. The levels are well-designed, with a satisfying ramp-up in difficulty as the game progresses. While essentially linear, the game still achieves a sense of exploration with a few optional or alternative paths through levels, each of which also hides a multitude of secrets - most commonly, floating strawberries that are the game's primary collectibles. Celeste makes it very clear that collecting these is entirely optional, but of course, testing yourself against the challenging platforming scenarios that many of the strawberries present brings some of the greatest moments of elation when you succeed.

Unusually for a platformer, Celeste tells a touching and somewhat profound story, of self-discovery as the protagonist Madeleine attempts to climb Celeste mountain. The game's presentation is excellent, with simple yet effective pixel-art graphics, a memorable soundtrack - and, in a commendable gesture towards accessibility, the inclusion of an 'assist mode' that allows a number of 'cheats' to be enabled, such that anyone should be able to experience the game (though of course, overuse is likely to detract from any sense of achievement that might otherwise be felt). Celeste is certainly going to be a strong contender when it comes to game of the year considerations this year!

header.jpg

77. Another World - 20th Anniversary Edition (PS4) - 28 September 2018
100% of trophies earned. Clearly revolutionary in its time (being a remastered version of the 1991 Amiga release), especially with its very impressive polygonal graphics, nowadays Another World shows its age, with rather clunky controls (while still expecting great precision at times) and very obscure requirements to progress through certain encounters. I'd say that it's still worth playing through Another World, especially if you do so with a guide to alleviate some of the frustration that might otherwise come from getting stuck in places, for the insight that it can bring to the history of the action/platformer genre, but do so in the knowledge that it's very old-school in much of its gameplay.

header.jpg

78. Figment (Steam) - 30 September 2018
Completed with 100% of achievements unlocked. Figment is an enjoyable, fairly lightweight action/adventure, with a beautiful graphical style. Set in the unconscious mind of a person recently involved in a car accident, Figment sees you exploring areas themed around creativity (expect to see gardens, music and similar) and logic (where clockwork mechanics are prevalent), with charming hand-drawn graphics, an impressively dynamic musical score and dialog based around rhyming, frequent puns and, as a stand-out, singing boss enemies! With combat encounters being fairly trivial, gameplay is primarily focused on exploration and puzzle solving, which, while again never really getting difficult, is still generally satisfying, especially with the puzzles fitting in very nicely with the world themes - for example, progression might require planting seeds in the garden areas, or setting up mechanics in those based around clockwork. The simplicity of the game might be a detractor for some people and it's fairly short (perhaps 4-6 hours for an unguided playthrough), but I had a good time with Figment.

Last edited:

Bosh

Oct 26, 2017
MAIN THREAD 1
MAIN THREAD 2

4TP4G9CZGARE.jpg

#51: Earth Defense Force 2017 (10-1-2018) | 7/10 | Vita | ~ 9 Hours | Recommend: Y
#
Overall - 7 | Aggregate of 4 components below. Decimal rounded up or down by personal bias.
Gameplay - 8 | Defending Earth from giant insects and robots never gets old
Sound - 7 | Really funny commentary from AI. A majority of the other sounds are adequate
Story/Online - 7 | To Save Our Mother Earth
Asking Price- 8.33 | 60 missions, lots of weapons and the option to play as a Wing Diver

Fairy Godmother

Backward compatible
Oct 27, 2017
Light month, only one game completed. To be fair, I have been busy, and playing through a lot of long games.

September:
MYApkUT.png

41. Starcraft 2: Wings of Liberty (PC) - 30 hours. ★★★★ Finished the campaign + many online co-op and versus matches. Very well balanced game. The campaign missions were super fun and diverse too.

StarPhlox

Oct 25, 2017
Wisconsin
76) Hyper Light Drifter: Special Edition - Such an outstanding game. I had a rocky start trying to find my way in the east, but after that it was all smooth sailing. It offered the right amount of challenge: stiff, but never unfair. The boss fights were great and so too were the environments. Smooth performance, gorgeous soundtrack, and a lovely aesthetic. HLD should absolutely be experienced by anybody who can handle the old-school difficulty. Very highly recommended!
feat-hyper-light-drifter.jpg

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
https://www.resetera.com/threads/52-games-1-year-2018.13773/#post-2734861

September continued:

*48. Hero of the Kingdom III - 10 hrs

These are simple games, but I enjoyed the first two The third pales in comparison IMO.

*49. Spider-Man - 21 hrs

Fantastic game. I'm not really as enamored with it as some, but it was a good time.

*50. Qube 2 - 8 hrs

Good solid puzzler.

*51. Shadow of the Tomb Raider - 26 hrs

I like this more than the second game, more than most people I think. I enjoyed the focus on the tombs and puzzles and the overall lack of shooting.

October

*52. Cross Code - 60 hrs

I loved so so so much of this game, and absolutely despised about 5% of it, due to the extreme difficulty of the timing on a handful of puzzles, and the loooong slog of a final battle. It may still make my top ten though.

52 games / 868 hrs / 2018

StarPhlox

Oct 25, 2017
Wisconsin
77) Mega Man 11 - The 19th and probably final Mega Man game that I will play through this year, Mega Man 11 is the first Classic Mega Man game we've gotten this decade and god does it feel good to have him back. 11 is a major step forward for the series with a fairly simple layout of 8 Robot Masters and 4 quick and dirty Wily stages, but the double gear system and some cool new parts to make it very replayable on various difficulties. I think I'll return to 11 frequently over the years and try to master it (to some extent). Very happy with how this turned out and it will surely rank within my top 10 for the year.
MegaMan11_Art_png_jpgcopy.jpg

Oct 26, 2017
Belarus
Main Post part 3

-------

70. Jack Keane - 9 hours
This game left me with such a crushing disappointment, it had the potential to become at least a decent adventure game, but the execution is really flawed. Previous games from this dev - Ankh 1 & 2 - were not perfect, but I couldn't say they were terrible either, they had nice moments and didn't feel like a complete waste of time. Unfortunately, Jack Keane DOES feel like a giant waste of time, every element of this game is below mediocre. The story quickly stop making any sense and turns to a bunch of badly connected episodes, jokes feel forced and based on stupid cliche about Britain and Indian culture, they simply not funny and didn't manage to make me smile even once. Graphics looks terrible, and it's not because of an outdated engine, but because the game is full of glitches and just lazy mistakes like constant objects clipping through each other or shadows going through the walls and floors. Cutscenes and dialogues direction feels uninspired as well, for some reason game is lacking close-ups and most of the time camera showing boring overall scenes somewhere from the high point. With lack of proper direction game simply falling apart quickly after the first few chapters.
Without a good story, it becomes obvious how badly devs fucked up with gameplay and puzzles design. It's just extremely tedious and frustrating, most of the time you simply don't know what to do next, mostly because you've missed some junk in the dark corner of the background - and no, there's no button to highlight active points on the screen, so you had always trying to figure out, which objects can be interacted with and which are just a static background detail. It's incredibly frustrating, and the game simply forces you to use a walkthrough to understand what exactly are you missing. And another major problem of Jack Keane is the fact it overstays its welcome for too long, I thought it would be a short game but it's just kept going on and on and on, I barely forced myself to finish it. Maybe devs take criticism of their previous games to close to their hearts because Ankh 1-2 were fairly short 3-4 hours games, but it's really wasn't a bad thing because they ended right when they were supposed to end. Jack Keane feels like it was artificially overblown to make it twice longer, and honestly, if I knew that it would be an 8-9 hour game even with the walkthrough, I just dropped it after first chapters and didn't bother finishing it. So I can't recommend this game to anyone, even if you are a huge adventure games fan.

StarPhlox

Oct 25, 2017
Wisconsin
78) Into The Breach - Brilliant game. Not my usual fare, but I appreciate everything that Into The Breach is doing. It can feel so punishing at times, but also so satisfying to finish a map and to complete optional objectives. The game gives you plenty of time to assess the situation you're in but sometimes you don't know you've lost until several turns have passed. Into the Breach is full of content and replayability and I am excited to dip back into it from time to time and always have a new experience.
into-the-breach.png

rahji

Oct 25, 2017
16. Here They Lie (PS4) Finished at 10/1/2018 Time: ~3 hours

Short, obscure, dreamlike walking simulator. Yes, you can die and there are some stealth sections, but all things considered it is a walking simulator. It got some bad reviews around 60 which I don't really understand because I would definitly rate it higher. The game delivered exactly what I wanted: A short scary horror trip.

17. Apollo Justice (3DS) Finished at 9/?/2018 Time: ~30 hours

The introduction of a new attorney was not so easy for me. He didn't have the charme like Phoenix at first but in the end I liked him. I can definitly feel he has a different vibe than Phoenix. The cases were strong and really well written besides the ending of the last case. The ending came so sudden and without a fight I thought it was a joke.

Coming up next: Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies because I can't get enough of the series.

MadMike

Oct 27, 2017
23. WoW: Battle for Azeroth - ★★★★
24. Game Dev Tycoon (iOS) - ★★★
25. (MCC) Halo 1 Anniversary - ★★
26. (MCC) Halo 2 Anniversary - ★★★★★
27. (MCC) Halo 3 - ★★★★
28. (MCC) Halo 4 - ★★
29. Detroit: Become Human - ★★★★
30. Spider-Man - ★★★★
31. Shadow of the Colossus - ★★
32. Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze - ★★★
33. State of Decay 2 - ★★
34. Bloons TD 6 (iOS) - ★★★
35. (VR) Elevator... to the Moon! - ★★★
36. (VR) The Well - ★★
37. (VR) They Suspect Nothing - ★★★
38. (VR) Land's End - ★★★
39. (VR) Virtual Virtual Reality - ★★
40. (VR) Tomb Raider: Lara's Escape -

Main Post

Oct 25, 2017
July, August, and September Report

Main Post

This month I completed 11 games.

My progress for this challenge is 50/52

1. The Walking Dead Season 2: Episode 2 - Finished on July 1 - 2 hours

Clementine's new gang is forced to leave the safety of their house after a man named Carver shows up and menaces the two girls. I've begun to play Clementine as much of a total badass as I can. Apparently she is 11 according to one of the answer choices given in the early episodes. The way she was treated at first by this new group and then the way she proves herself as an asset to the group. She can handle herself in this wasteland when not many people really can. We meet up with an old friend in this chapter. I suspected that we'd see this person again in some capacity but seeing him in the flesh again made me happy even if he was an asshole before. In the end Carver's gang and at least one person from 400 Days shows up and takes all of our group captive.

2. The Walking Dead Season 2: Episode 3: Finished on July 1 - 1 hour, 45 minutes

We arrive at the hardware store which was apparently the destination that Tavia was recruiting people to in 400 Days. I didn't know these people were all going to turn into jerks! I wanted to believe in a better life Tavia! What happened? The gang is forced into hard labor but our no fear girl Clementine is there to save the day. In the end we let a huge group of zombies into the compound and cover ourselves in blood and guts to escape similarly to how Lee and Clementine traverse Savannah in an episode from last season. I'm pretty sure like half the group is dead or maimed, including Kenny who now sports an eye patch. I was tough and watched Carver get beat to death. I probably would have chosen to have Clem do it herself if I was allowed. I'm slowly turning her into a monster.

3. The Walking Dead Season 2: Episode 4 - Finished on July 4 - 2 hours

Rebecca has her baby. Kenny goes ballistic on Clementine but snaps out of it once Alvin Jr. is born. Jane and Luke end up having sex. We get attacked again and again. I chose not to rob a guy but apparently Jane did and in the end it comes back to haunt us. I have no idea what is going to happen with the final episode but I heard a lot of gunshots. Choosing not to rob the guy I wanted to make Clem a better person. We've killed a lot of walkers this season and I'm sorta turning her into a bad person so I wanted to do better. I didn't even see Jane keep the medicine and stuff but apparently she did. She left as well so we are screwed it seems. Also I did my best to save Sarah but she just was a shell after Carlos died at the end of episode 3. It is regrettable because I liked her and having Clem have someone close to her own age but she just never got better.

4. The Walking Dead Season 2: Episode 5 - Finished on July 4 - 1 hour, 45 minutes

This was a doozy. We made it to this episode with almost a full cast of characters! And by the end my decisions left Clementine and Alvin Jr. alone, choosing not to stay with Jane and choosing to shoot Kenny because I feared Jane was going to kill him anyway. I loved Kenny even though he was an asshole. He felt more human this season than last. I was so happy to see him in episode 2 and I almost regret killing him here. I know he would die eventually anyway. The way these games work is that you can only save someone for so long.

5. Mega Man 4 - Finished on July 4 - 2 hours, 20 minutes

I struggled on this game. I'm used to the charge shot being OP like it is in MM6 and MM6. Plus I found it weird at first getting hit on the charge shot and having to release the button to begin charging again while in the other games I don't think I have to do that. Boss contact damage is massive in this game as well. Ring Man's stage is a nightmare with mini bosses. Overall I enjoy this game quite a bit but of my top favorites (2-4) I am by far the worst at this game. There are several stages and segments that are just brutal to me. Some robot master stages I got really unlucky with health drops and went into fights mostly dead. Dust Man lived to troll me as well with his frequent sucking. Ring Man I also find difficult until I get into a rhythm. Bright is tricky because of the contact damage and having specific health values in which he will freeze the room. I did get balloon and wire even though I only used balloon to get an E-tank in the Cossack auto scroller.

6. Mega Man 2 - Finished on July 4 - 1 hour, 15 minutes

I was cooking for this one. Probably the one I've played the most. I find it very easy in most cases. Metal Blade is OP. Boss weaknesses are OP. I played on normal so I was able from slightly less than half health buster Quick Man at the end of his stage. To me this game has the iconic soundtrack of the series. So many memorable themes. Even the boss fight theme is amazing. Overrated Wily 1 and 2 though. Everyone loves it but I'm tired of it. Many better tracks out there. Only part of the game I struggled with was purple hell (Wily 4) and the boss. Stage itself went smoothly. Boss was a chore. Sometimes I can do well enough to still have a single crash bomb left but not this time.

7. Mega Man 3 - Finished on July 4 - 1 hour, 45 minutes

The classic series is finally complete! This was my favorite as a kid growing up. No idea why. Maybe it is the slide. As a kid I had no idea what ot do when you had to slide. I don't think I read the instruction manual so I would only play stages where you didn't have to slide. Eventually someone taught me how to slide so I beat the game. Probably beaten it 30 times by now. This time was on Legacy Collection 1 for the Switch. Honestly I had the most trouble with Quick Man in the Doc stages. Doc Robot is bigger and tends to want to hang out in your hitbox more than anything. Not having an actual d-oad really sucks for shadow blade. Metal blade you could cheese it a little easier but shadow blade on the yellow devil i found myself inching forward as I lob blades diagonally at the eye. The joycon was not a pleasant experience for this. Otherwise the Legacy Collection 1 on Switch is pretty good. I was definitely a bit tired at this point having played through 4 and 2 previously so I definitely played a bit worse in some spots. Again not having an actual d-pad would have helped!

8. Dragon Quest IX - Finished on July 14 - 43 hours
I bought this game pretty close to release and got about halfway through and then just stopped playing. It was my first Dragon Quest game and I was enjoying it but I made the choice to play other games first. Now, many years later, having played every game in the series at least a little bit and having completed the first five, I came back to this title to see what the big deal was all about. I found it a pretty easy game. I rarely struggled. I never had to grind. I rarely went out of my way to do any sidequests. I did explore dungeons and towns to find items and mini medals but never went out of my way. I found most bosses to be very easy since a lot of them only attacked once per round. The tried and true formula of your hero, a healer, a magic user, and a melee weapon user worked fine. I did unlock Gladiator and Paladin classes which I used in my final party. I did have my hero's swords at 100 skill to be able to use them as a Paladin. It probably did make the endgame very easy. The story was decent but without very many other controllable party member characters it felt a little flat in spots. Many of the early game vignettes are sad and depressing but once you get past that and realize you have a mission to get to, the charm of the game opens up. It is a Dragon Quest game after all. Would recommend to RPG fans or DQ fans who have not already played the game. I do wish the DLC was still available somehow without hacking and I do wish the game had more than one safe file. If I ever want to replay I either need to delete my 40+ hour file or buy another copy of the game. I did not dabble in the postgame too much since it seemed like a ton of grinding and I wasn't that in love with battling over and over and over again.

9. Diablo 3 - Finished on August 29 - 35 hours

I flew through the story on hardcore mode, skipping all the cutscenes. I played on a Barbarian and took him all the way to level 70 for trophies. I began to play right around the time the Switch version of the game was announced to sort of "quench my thirst" and to try to avoid buying another $60 switch game this fall. I played around with a couple other classes and getting my softcore Crusader from a previous playthrough from low 60s up to 70 so that is why my playtime for this burst of gaming is higher. Playing on hardcore was fine because even my softcore Crusader I never came close to dying. This time however I encountered a situation where my character was unable to get out of an AoE and was just suck there getting killed. In a cowardly act I quit to menu with I would say less than 3% health left. I was around level 60 just trying to grind my way to 70 for the trophy. It wasn't a waller or jailer either. I just got completely surrounded by enemies and more kept coming so the AoE would have killed me. No regrets though because I survived and got my trophy.

10. Kingdom Hearts 1 Final Mix - Finished on September 9 - 18 hours

I am doing a full series replay in anticipation for Kingdom Hearts 3 coming out in January. I had started this when the PS4 collection had first started but stopped around Halloween Town. I resumed playing in early September in an attempt to get through one major KH game per month in order to be ready for KH3. I like this game and have a lot of nostalgia for this game, but basically every other major Kingdom Hearts game plays much better. The story is good. A kid trying to find his friends. A group of friends wanting more than just to live on their podunk islands. Stopping evil and saving the day. It really tugs on the heartstrings. It does make up a little for how the gameplay is less refined than future titles. You are mashing the same attack button for 20 hours, doing the same combo, against mostly the same enemies sometimes just with boosted HP counts. The Disney worlds are well done here, but quite a few of them keep appearing in future games so it gets old. Having to hear James Woods as Hades made me sad because when I played the game originally I really liked him as Hades and it wasn't obvious (to me) yet what kind of person he was. Many of the Final Fantasy characters are pretty well done and quite a few have a decent storyline reason to exist in the game. The battle system is a little wonky but still enjoyable enough to not ruin the game.

11. Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix - Finished on September 23 - 28 hours

I used Youtube for the cutscenes for Chain of Memories. I tried to play it in the collection and I just couldn't. Kingdom Hearts 2 takes what the original game did and polishes it until it shines. The combat is much better. The story, while retconning certain things from the original game, is still more complex and definitely better. It hasn't quite reached that jump the shark moment that will certainly come later for a lot of people. Heartless were easy enough to understand and strong people leaving behind Nobodies when they lose their heart is also an easy enough concept to understand. The combat though is where the game shines. Your basic combos are much improved. You have a ton more moves and reaction commands to mix things up. Having an attack that mid combo launches your enemy into the air and you can chase and keep mashing your attack button to continue your combo. Everything just seemed more fluid than the first game. The story pacing is much worse. In the original there were quite a few times where you would get important plot information. In this game, it almost feels like the Disney worlds are largely filler. The second half of the game starts with you chasing someone in a black Organization cloak and for a couple worlds that is the goal. But then it becomes "solve Disney problems" with a couple truly dreadful sequences (Agrabah on the flying carpet, Land of Dragons with the infinite aerial heartless AND the black cloaked person). This is something I hope is done better in the next game.

PC90

Enlightened
Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Original post

headertdctx.jpg

52) Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age (Steam, 80 hours)
Had a blast with it from beginning to end. Might just be my new favourite Dragon Quest.

And that's it! Well, obviously I'm gonna play more haha

Currently playing:

Picross S2

Oct 27, 2017
Main Post

50. Alan Wake - Xbox 360
Completed 10/7/18
Score - 7/10

Beat the main game plus the two additional chapters. I really thought I would like this one more. It did remind me of Max Payne every now and then...but less fun. The flashlight mechanic was fine but the gameplay variety barely changed over 10ish hours. By the end I was just running through it to finish it. I have American Nightmare to play at some point, wondering if I will enjoy that more than this. Overall, a much more average game than I was expecting.

EducatedTintedArmednylonshrimp-size_restricted.gif

LonestarZues

Oct 27, 2017
Main Post

50. Alan Wake - Xbox 360
Completed 10/7/18
Score - 7/10

Beat the main game plus the two additional chapters. I really thought I would like this one more. It did remind me of Max Payne every now and then...but less fun. The flashlight mechanic was fine but the gameplay variety barely changed over 10ish hours. By the end I was just running through it to finish it. I have American Nightmare to play at some point, wondering if I will enjoy that more than this. Overall, a much more average game than I was expecting.

EducatedTintedArmednylonshrimp-size_restricted.gif

I loved Alan Wake, but if you didn't I wouldn't recommend playing American Nightmare as it felt like a step below in everything.

Bosh

Oct 26, 2017
MAIN THREAD 1
MAIN THREAD 2

Forza-Horizon-4_26-09-18.jpg.x128.jpg

#52: Forza Horizon 4 (10-8-2018) | 9/10 | Xbox One | ~ 15 Hours | Recommend: Y

#
Overall - 9 | The best Forza game and one of the best racing games ever made
Gameplay - 8.8 | The mechanics of the cars feel even better tuned with a fantastic world to explore
Sound - 9 | Cars sound great, another fantastic soundtrack. Voiceover work is hilariously bad
Story/Online - NA | VROOOOOM ... Hey _____ a new race is available.....VROOOOOM
Asking Price- 10 | Tons of content in so many different ways that will make everyone happy for a long time

52/52 COMPLETE!
latest

Will make a post shortly with some stats/breakdown

watdaeff4

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Updated Main Post:
https://www.resetera.com/posts/3590985/

50. Halo Wars 2 (XB1)
Rating: 8/10
Time: 17 hours

Played through the campaign as well as all story DLC and the Flood expansion. Really enjoyed this game, wish I was good enough to mess around online, but I would just get destroyed. Any RTS fan should try this game IMO.

51. Persona 4 Golden (Vita)
Rating: 9/10
Time: 75 hours

My first Persona game and the first JRPG outside of Square Enix RPGs I have played in a long time. Loved, loved this game. One of the few games that I had any emotional attachment to the characters, what happened etc.

52. Metroid Samus Returns (2/3DS)
Rating: 10/10
Time: 12 hours

This my friends is how you do a remake. They took the original Metroid 2 and not only updated it graphically, they completely added new gameplay elements never seen before in this series and it was a-maze-ing. I enjoyed this more than Super Metroid and is likely my favorite Metroid game now

Challenge Accepted....and completed!

Also as a bonus, just got a platinum on Spider-Man for my 53rd game!

Out of the games I played, I would consider these the top 5 and games that everyone should at least try if they haven't already:
1. Metroid Samus Returns
2. God of War
3. Hollow Knight
4. Assassin's Creed Origins
5. Persona 4 Golden

Tambini

Oct 25, 2017
#57 Resident Evil 4 ★★★★★ PS4 - Oct 7th - 27 hours
Masterpiece. (re)played through normal, the Ada missions then professional difficulty and loved every minute

Deleted member 1759

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Europe
It's been a while since my last update, almost three months actually. And I don't really feel like doing a short write-up for each game I've beat since then tbh. Maybe I'll add something at a later point. Anyway, here we go:

Main Post

#53: Yakuza 0 (PC) | 66.9h | Aug 23 | ★★★★

#54: Life is Strange: Before the Storm (PC) | 9.2h | Aug 27 | ★★★★

#55: Assassin's Creed: Unity (PC) | 15.3h | Sep 02 | ★★½

#56: Dishonored: Death of the Outsider (PC) | 9.3h | Sep 04 | ★★★★

#57: LEGO Star Wars: The Force Awakens (PC) | 15.4h | Sep 12 | ★★★

#58: Life is Strange (PC) | 10.3h | Sep 17 | ★★★★½

#59: Assassin's Creed Syndicate (PC) | 17.0h | Sep 21 | ★★★★

#60: Little Nightmares (PC) | 3.0h | ★★★½

#61: Last Day of June (PC) | 2.2h | Sep 26 | ★★½

#62: Condemned: Criminal Origins (PC) | 6.3h | Sep 27 | ★★★½

#63: For Honor (PC) | 6.4h | Sep 28 | ★★★

#64: Subsurface Circular (PC) | 2.1h | Oct 02 | ★★★½

#65: Until Dawn (PS4) | 7.9h | Oct 04 | ★★★½

#66: The Last of Us (PS4) | 14.5h | Oct 07 | ★★★★½

#67: The Last of Us: Left Behind (PS4) | 14.5h | Oct 08 | ★★★★½
tloulbpzi6t.png

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
Mainpost: https://www.resetera.com/posts/4037718/

New Entries:

33 Little Nightmares [PS4] - 180728 - 8.0/10.0
34 Overcooked: Lost Morsel [PS4] - 180729 - 8.0/10.0
35 Overcooked: Festive Seasoning [PS4] - 180730 - 8.5/10.0
36 Octopath Traveller [NSW] - 180809 - 8.7/10.0
37 Overcooked 2 [NSW] - 180826 - 8.5/10.0
38 Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception [PS4] - 180828 - 7.2/10.0
39 Gears of War: Ultimate Xbox One - 180914 - 8.0/10.0
40 Knights of the Round [NSW] - 180919 - 8.0/10.0
41 Hollow Knight [NSW] - 180923 - 9.3/10.0
42 The King of Dragons [NSW] - 180926 - 6.2/10.0
43 Armored Warriors [NSW] - 181002 - 5.8/10.0
44 Hollow Knight: Hidden Dreams [NSW] - 181003 - 9.3/10.0
45 Pixel Junk Monsters 2 [NSW] - 181007 - 7.2/10.0
46 Double Dragon [NES] - 181009 - 5.6/10.0

Was doubting for a while, but it's looking like I might hit 52 =)

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'M DONE

52. Shin Megami Tensei: Persona - 09/10/2018

My final game in the challenge is another SMT epic, though this one has its share of flaws along with its high points. I'm going to write an LTTP about it later today, so keep an eye out for it.

I'll compile my list in a bit.

Now that I've played a countless amount of games it's time to... go play Spider-Man and Yakuza Kiwami 2.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Here's my list.

1. Kingdom Hearts II Final Mix - 06/01/2018

2. Tales of Symphonia - 15/01/2018

3. Azure Striker Gunvolt - 17/01/2018

4. Tales of Berseria - 28/01/2018

5. Azure Striker Gunvolt 2 - 02/02/2018

6. Momodora: Reverie under the Moonlight – 07/02/2018

7. Soul Nomad & The World Eaters – 09/02/2018

9. Bloodborne - 16/02/2018

10. Night in the Woods - 18/02/2018

11. Demon's Souls - 21/02/2018

12. DOOM - 24/02/2018

13. Rayman Origins - 26/02/2018

14. Majora's Mask 3D - 04/03/2018

15. Infamous 2 - 08/03/2018

16. Dragon Ball FighterZ -09/03/2018

17. Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap - 11/03/2018

18. Super Mario Odyssey - 14/03/2018

19. Detention 17/03/2018

20. Psychonauts - 20/03/2018

21. Bloodborne (again) - 21/03/2018

22. Demon's Souls (again) - 25/03/2018

23. Final Fantasy IX - 26/03/2018

24. Kirby: Planet Robobot - 27/03/2018

25. Panzer Dragoon Orta - 28/03/2018

26. Klonoa 2: Lunatea's Veil - 30/03/2018

27. Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards - 01/04/2018

28. Tales of Vesperia - 18/04/2018

29. Kirby's Return to Dreamland - 28/04/2018

30. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze - 06/05/2018

31. Kirby Star Allies - 19/05/2018

32. Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest - 24/05/2018

33. Ratchet & Clank - 27/05/2018

34. Ratchet & Clank: Going Commando - 29/05/2018

35. Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal - 31/05/2018

36. Shovel Knight: Plague of Shadows - 01/06/2018

37. Banjo-Tooie - 04/06/2018

38. Hollow Knight - 20/06/2018

39. Splatoon 2 14/07/2018

40. Super Mario RPG - 18/07/2018

41. Splatoon 2: Octo Expansion - 21/07/2018

42. Metroid: Samus Returns - 26/06/2018

43. Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright - 07/08/2018

44. Zone of the Enders: The 2nd Runner - 11/08/2018

45. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night - 13/08/2018

46. Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask - 16/08/2018

47. Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island - 18/08/2018

48. Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne (featuring Dante from the Devil May Cry series) - 29/08/2018

49. Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow - 30/08/2018

50. Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey - 21/09/2018

Donsonite

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Here's my list.

1. Kingdom Hearts II Final Mix - 06/01/2018

2. Tales of Symphonia - 15/01/2018

3. Azure Striker Gunvolt - 17/01/2018

4. Tales of Berseria - 28/01/2018

5. Azure Striker Gunvolt 2 - 02/02/2018

6. Momodora: Reverie under the Moonlight – 07/02/2018

7. Soul Nomad & The World Eaters – 09/02/2018

9. Bloodborne - 16/02/2018

10. Night in the Woods - 18/02/2018

11. Demon's Souls - 21/02/2018

12. DOOM - 24/02/2018

13. Rayman Origins - 26/02/2018

14. Majora's Mask 3D - 04/03/2018

15. Infamous 2 - 08/03/2018

16. Dragon Ball FighterZ -09/03/2018

17. Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap - 11/03/2018

18. Super Mario Odyssey - 14/03/2018

19. Detention 17/03/2018

20. Psychonauts - 20/03/2018

21. Bloodborne (again) - 21/03/2018

22. Demon's Souls (again) - 25/03/2018

23. Final Fantasy IX - 26/03/2018

24. Kirby: Planet Robobot - 27/03/2018

25. Panzer Dragoon Orta - 28/03/2018

26. Klonoa 2: Lunatea's Veil - 30/03/2018

27. Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards - 01/04/2018

28. Tales of Vesperia - 18/04/2018

29. Kirby's Return to Dreamland - 28/04/2018

30. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze - 06/05/2018

31. Kirby Star Allies - 19/05/2018

32. Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest - 24/05/2018

33. Ratchet & Clank - 27/05/2018

34. Ratchet & Clank: Going Commando - 29/05/2018

35. Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal - 31/05/2018

36. Shovel Knight: Plague of Shadows - 01/06/2018

37. Banjo-Tooie - 04/06/2018

38. Hollow Knight - 20/06/2018

39. Splatoon 2 14/07/2018

40. Super Mario RPG - 18/07/2018

41. Splatoon 2: Octo Expansion - 21/07/2018

42. Metroid: Samus Returns - 26/06/2018

43. Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright - 07/08/2018

44. Zone of the Enders: The 2nd Runner - 11/08/2018

45. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night - 13/08/2018

46. Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask - 16/08/2018

47. Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island - 18/08/2018

48. Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne (featuring Dante from the Devil May Cry series) - 29/08/2018

49. Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow - 30/08/2018

50. Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey - 21/09/2018

That is a fantastic list of games you've played this year. Any favourites from them?

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That is a fantastic list of games you've played this year. Any favourites from them?

Absolutely Hollow Knight. The new gold standard for Metroidvania and one of the best games I've ever played. Tales of Vesperia PS3 also stood out as an incredible JRPG loaded with meaningful content, a slick, fun, easy to grasp battle system, and a lovable cast of jerks. After that I'd go with Splatoon 2: The Octo Expansion, which was a brilliant set of tough as nails challenges that constantly played with Splatoon 2's gameplay in interesting ways and ended on an amazing final boss. Lastly I'll go with Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight, because I'm a suck for beautiful pixel art, gothic atmospheres, and 2D Souls gameplay.