• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

LonestarZues

Oct 27, 2017
Master Post: https://www.resetera.com/threads/52-games-1-year-2018.13773/post-3243362

77. Dragon Quest 11 - PS4 - 12/11 - 80 hours: I loved so many things about this game, but it was missing something to make it special in my eyes. I enjoyed all the characters except Erik and Sylvano. They had their moments, but a lot of times I was just skipping their dialogue when they spoke. Next up is the post game content. Not sure I'll do it all, but I'll give it a go at least.

78. Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden - Xbox 1 - 2/13 - 20 hours: Really enjoyed my time with this game. It was shorter then I expected, but the lore of the universe was really well done and hopefully it sells well enough for us to get the sequel and see how they build on the wonderful universe and systems.

79. Thronebreaker: The Witcher Tales - PS4 - 12/20 - 50 hours: Amazing game and really amped up my love of the Witcher universe. Here's hoping we get some more entries in the future.

80. Marvel's Spider-Man: Silver Lining - PS4 - 12/21 - 4 hours: Great ending to the dlc trilogy. Can't wait to see where they take the loose threads in the sequel. Lovely little tribute to Stan Lee at the end as well.

Last edited:

Baloota

May 12, 2018
Egypt
12- HITMAN - PS4 - 9/10
That main menu music is god tier. This is my second favourite Hitman. Although i haven't yet finished the last episode. I've been through most of the level more then once trying to complete different challenges. Everything about this game is great and the level design is above anything else. Nothing tops the amount of content in this game in the Hitman series. So many different way to kill your targets. It's just great in many different ways. But i feel like it needs more customization. Earning money and spending it on upgrading or buying weapons was also better in my opinion than straight up getting weapons as rewards. Elusive Target is a good idea, although i've missed all of them (i would love if they do a reset).
I've talked about it in another thread. Amazing game
Previous post

Tambini

Oct 25, 2017
#71 Kingdom Hearts 2.8 7.5 PS4 - Dec 13th - 24 hours
Not bad, DDD is decent, the best handheld KH, but has its problems. Flowmotion is fun but broken and the dream pokemon things are a bit pointless and annoying that you have to use them to unlock commands. Loved the Fantasia world.
0.2 prologue was good too, magic felt really powerful to use. I also watched the back cover movie which was pretty wack

#72 Metroid Prime 3 8 Wii - Dec 18th - 12 hours

Last edited:

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
123. Darksiders III

Quite enjoyed the game though it could go with a few improvements. The latest patches really tidy up the game better and overall if you enjoyed Darksiders 1 you're more likely to enjoy 3. Just make sure to have Camera set to 'Hold' so you can center the camera by holding the lock on button.

124. Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon
B1R%2Bvh2i5HS._SY445_.jpg

While the 80s aesthetic is nice, the game was too dark for my eyes to fire properly. Enemies felt too tough even on easy but shotgunning people was fun at least.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Main Post

62. Red Dead Revolver - PS4
Completed 12/11/18
Score - 7/10

Interesting to go back in time and play this one. It was decent enough but I remember liking the game Gun more...wonder if that holds up at all. I HATED the duel system and it felt more like luck than anything else. Some of the later duels are crappy because if you lose, you have to restart the level. I think I got lucky on the final one and didn't lose once. I have not played Redemption 1/2, are there duels in those games and are they handled better?
All said, I enjoyed most of the game but it definitely wasn't anything like what I see from Rockstars new games. There was barely a story and the game just seems to be random events lead by random characters to get to the end. Fun but not great.

tumblr_lw0e80NjUR1qe9y5po1_500.gif

63. Sonic Rush - DS
Completed 12/13/18
Score - 7/10

Not as good as the old side scrollers but much better than the 3D output I have played thus far. This game is a blast for the most part. My biggest issue is the amount of pits that you can fall into by going too fast. You almost need to have the later levels memorized to avoid falling to your death. The bosses weren't too difficult and it kind of stunk to have to play essentially the same game twice with Blaze. Worth a play, curious how Sonic Rush Adventure is.

i58QBopZEFcNq.gif

Chas Hodges

Nov 7, 2017
My quest to hit a hundred ground to a halt due to my partner of seven years choosing to end our relationship a couple months before our wedding totally without warning or precedent.

Pleased I made it as far as I did (78 at last count) at the end of October, but my impetus to actually finish games has gone out the window since early November when things shifted.

I think its worth noting that a combination of Tetris Effect and Smash Ultimate has kept me sane through the ensuing fallout though.

LonestarZues

Oct 27, 2017
Main Post

62. Red Dead Revolver - PS4
Completed 12/11/18
Score - 7/10

Interesting to go back in time and play this one. It was decent enough but I remember liking the game Gun more...wonder if that holds up at all. I HATED the duel system and it felt more like luck than anything else. Some of the later duels are crappy because if you lose, you have to restart the level. I think I got lucky on the final one and didn't lose once. I have not played Redemption 1/2, are there duels in those games and are they handled better?

They are. You restart only the duel itself and not an entire level/segment.

My quest to hit a hundred ground to a halt due to my partner of seven years choosing to end our relationship a couple months before our wedding totally without warning or precedent.

Pleased I made it as far as I did (78 at last count) at the end of October, but my impetus to actually finish games has gone out the window since early November when things shifted.

I think its worth noting that a combination of Tetris Effect and Smash Ultimate has kept me sane through the ensuing fallout though.

Sucks to hear this and as someone who's had this happen to them in the past, I can totally relate with video games being an amazing escape during those times.

Oct 25, 2017
Main Post

Game #55: Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu (Nintendo Switch)

lEJLGSZ.jpg

Finished on: November 24
Time Played: 35 hours+

This was a trip down memory lane that was quite enjoyable. I am always on board for anything Pokemon but I began to have doubts about how this game would work and how much fun it would be. Those mild doubts were put to rest once I popped it into my switch and began to play. The game is definitely the definitive Kanto experience even if it is uneven in certain areas. All of the old charm of the original region is there, this time coupled with many of the quality of life improvements that future generations have brought. I never knew how great it could be switching up my party on the fly until this game granted you the ability to do that. The self contained pokedex of only the original 151 helped make completing it feel more attainable. I wouldn't mind being able to transfer in and out of Bank to fully complete the 150, but having only those pokemon available helped keep me focused on catching them all, something I wasn't able to do in Gen 1. The team I used to beat the Elite 4 and become champion was: Pikachu, Blastoise, Rhydon, Alakazam, Gengar, and Hitmonchan.

(I am experimenting with a bit of a change in how I post these things. I find that having a monolithic wall of text every month to be not a great way to represent the games that I'm playing. Thinking of moving to individual posts for when I complete a game instead of a monthly or quarterly report and using more images to spice things up a bit instead of so much text. I am not very talented at editing images though so I will probably hunt for adequately sized box art images and upload them to my own imgur)

Oct 25, 2017
  1. :pc: Naruto: Ultimate Ninja Storm*
  2. :pc: Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 2*
  3. :ps4: PaRappa the Rappa*
  4. :vita: Adventure Time: Secret of the Nameless Kingdom*
  5. :vita: Salt and Sanctuary*
  6. :ps4: Salt and Sanctuary*
  7. :pc: Resident Evil 6#
  8. :pc: Dragon Ball FighterZ
  9. :ps4: Mercenary Kings*
  10. :vita: Adventure of Mana*
  11. :pc: Devil May Cry 3 HD
  12. :vita: Need for Speed: Most Wanted*
  13. :pc: Dark Souls 3: Ashes of Ariandel#
  14. :ps4: God of War*
  15. :pc: Dark Souls 3: The Ringed City#
  16. :pc: Dark Souls 3#
  17. :pc: Far Cry 4^
  18. :pc: Far Cry 4: Valley of the Yetis*
  19. :switch: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (All quests & side quests)
  20. :switch: Super Mario Odyssey (All Power Moons, 100%)
  21. :ps4: Firewatch*#
  22. :ps4: Gone Home*#
  23. :ps4: Batman: The Telltale Series*#
  24. :ps4: ABZÛ*#
  25. :ps4: Everybody's Gone to the Rapture*
  26. :pc: EMPORIUM*
  27. :pc: Death's Gambit
  28. :pc: Ultra Street Fighter 4#
  29. :psp: Strider
  30. :psp: Final Fight
  31. :psp: Captain Commando
  32. :pc: The Walking Dead: Michonne*
  33. :psp: Forgotten Worlds
  34. :pc: VALIANT KNIGHTS Typing Battle*
  35. :pc: The Walking Dead: A New Frontier*
  36. :pc: Shadow of the Tomb Raider*
  37. :pc: Rise of the Tomb Raider: Baba Yaga: The Temple of the Witch#
  38. :pc: The Messenger*
  39. :pc: Shenzen Solitaire
  40. :pc: Sundered*
  41. :pc: Hexcells*
  42. :pc: LiEat*
  43. :pc: Rise of the Tomb Raider: Blood Ties*
  44. :pc: Hexcells Plus*
  45. :pc: Hexcells Infinite*
  46. :pc: Friday the 13th: Killer Puzzle
  47. :ps4: Deus Ex: Mankind Divided^
  48. :pc: Montaro*
  49. :pc: Montaro RE*
  50. :ps4: Deus Ex: Mankind Divided: System Rift*
  51. :ps4: Deus Ex: Mankind Divided: A Criminal Past*
  52. :ps4: Spiderman*

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Main post 1: https://www.resetera.com/posts/2784229/
Main post 2: https://www.resetera.com/posts/5234679/
Main post 3: https://www.resetera.com/posts/12272007/

86. The Darkness / 14h20 - completed 10.12

latest

I really started on the wrong foot with this. The gunplay felt wrong, the movement was all over the place and consequently the game was getting on my nerves. The gunplay was an easy fix after all, turned the auto aim all the way down and actually was able to shoot things instead of sadly trying to aim some wild dots swinging all over the place. The movement, i couldn't do anything about. I had the same problem with the Riddick games, so i assume last gen Starbreeze's model is just not for me. Feels like i'm walking on butter all the time, with no precision, always bumping into walls while getting stuck on the tiniest of level geometry.

Glad i dealt with it though, because underneath it The Darkness is a pretty good game. And an unexpected one to be honest. Behind all the edge there's also a lot of heart. And an interesting story, some likeable characters and a few surprises. Not being familiar with the material, i was surprised with where the plot goes at times. The worldbuilding is fantastic here.

Kirk Acevedo does a great job with the protagonist, giving him humanity amidst all the nonsense, and Mike Patton can bring his insane quality to anything really.

87. Picross e5 / 12h30 - completed 12.12

Picross-header.jpg

I have no idea what more can i say about yet another one of these great little picross games, other than it's pretty much unchanged from the last two. Jupiter Corporation found its formula and perfected it. Every new iteration merely brings more content and a tiny tweak here and there. Which is fine by me in this case.

88. 12 Labors of Hercules III: Girl Power / 6h20 - completed 13.12

22.jpg

Another one of these silly games. Been watching some Age of Empires III streams of all things, and this fills in the gaps. It's mostly unchanged from the last title on the gameplay department but this time we play as Megara, Hercules' wife. Everything plays literally in the same way though. Two very welcome changes stand out. The last level in each area is no longer just a gimmick and there's an extra bonus level if you finish every other level, including bonus ones, with a perfect score.

Last edited:

Spyware

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden

Wow, that is... ouch. I am sorry to hear that, and happy to hear that playing games has helped with coping. I hope everything turns out as good as possible for you!

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
125. Jotun
4acd421ca5e6ce08b33bb71c17a9d6f2_original.jpg

OK that final boss was a pain in the ass and too chaotic for me but I enjoyed my time with the game overall.

StarPhlox

Oct 25, 2017
Wisconsin
91) Moss - A terribly charming little game thanks to excellent implementation of VR and an adorable protagonist - Quill. Moss is a fairly light and breezy game that didn't get me stuck on more than one or two occasions, but it did get me a little sick from time to time. It is a beautiful game that is easy to fall into and at about 5 hours it does not waste too much time. An easy game to recommend for somebody open to a cute and relatively straightforward platformer that at times feels heavily inspired by Team ICO.

92) Ninja Gaiden - Played through this on a whim since it was recently added to the Nintendo Switch Online app. It's been so long since I've seen a game repeatedly refuse to end with so many horrific and unfair final bosses. No idea how anybody ever got through this without savepoints. Still, it's a pretty wicked game with really great graphics, sound, and controls for the most part. I don't think I ever want to play through it again, but it was really cool seeing one of the original classics all the way through.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
header.jpg

Game #62 - Book of Demons
Time: 14 hours +

What a fantastic little gem this turned out to be. Part Diablo-style dungeon crawler, deck building game, in a papercraft world and a bunch of great systems make this one of my favorite games of the year, and will certainly be in whatever my GOTY list ends up being. Finished the campaign with the default class (warrior) at which point the game opens a freeplay mode to keep leveling and getting more cards, not unlike a diablo-style game would work in the end game (for loot not cards), but I prefer to start over with a new class to see what kind of cards the others get. Very easy to get into and with it's Flexichrome system where you choose the length of your dungeon runs, you can play it for short bursts and still feel like you achieved something. Great art style, very original take on the genre (the game basically works "on rails" like a board game, but still manages to get as chaotic as any in the genre), and good length to the campaign even if you just one-and-done it, I would highly recomend this to fans of dungeon crawling hack and slash games. I hope they make some dlc, be it new zones (there's only 3 zone / acts in the game) or especially classes with new cards.

header.jpg

Game #63 - Lara Croft GO
Time: 3 hours

Bittersweet feelings about this one, as I was absolutely loving it until I turned hard on the game and ended up just dropping it when it came to the bonus chapters. It's a very cool idea and I love the look and style of the game, and like I said I was loving it and having a lot of fun at the start, but near the end of the campaign it just got too hard for me (granted I'm not a puzzle guy and I get easily frustrated when I get stumped) and it just sucked the fun out of it completely. I tried a few of the bonus levels but I just wasnt having fun at all any more and was just doing it "to finish it" but I decided to just drop it instead. Shame, and it's actually made me weary of getting other GO games.

Main Post

Last edited:

Snowfruit

Teyvat Traveler
Jun 8, 2018
United States
Surprised I made it to 52! Think I can still squeeze out a couple more games from the backlog with half of December still remaining.

main post

hj0ISkG.jpg

Game 50. Super Mario Party
Mario Kart was pretty much the only local multi game I had for a while to play with my family or with guests. Needed something new and Super Mario Party filled that role quite nicely. Haven't played any of the previous games so I can't compare it with any of those but I like it. It's kinda like a simpler version of 100% Orange Juice.

header.jpg

Game 51. Katamari Damacy Reroll
Strangely addicting game. It's mostly the amazing soundtrack that keeps making you want to play and just relax.

vObVzD2.jpg

Game 52. Beat Saber
My first VR game! 2-3 hours went by so quick and I didn't even notice, it was just so much fun.
Can't help but feel sorry for those who have it on PSVR though, the game's base tracklist isn't exactly huge. On PC with mods though there's so much stuff to choose from. Favorite beatmaps so far are Beat it by Michael Jackson and I'll make a man out of you from Mulan.

Deleted member 1759

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Europe
Main Post

#80: NeonCode (PC) | 1.2h | Dec 14 | ★★★

NeonCode is a cyberpunk noir game where you play a private investigator who gets involved in a murder case. The story itself is interesting enough and quite well told even though the English translation could have used a bit more of polish. While it plays well and I didn't experience any bugs there's not a lot where this game really stands out. The puzzles are all quite simple and there aren't a lot of opportunities to actually investigate. But it's a cheap game and the dev's first game released on Steam. And with that in mind I can recommend it.

#81: Uncharted 4: A Thief's End (PS4) | 12.4h | Dec 15 | ★★★½

First I'd like to state that I've never been an Uncharted fan and UC4 is the first Uncharted game that I have actually completed. That's mostly due to the fact that I really disliked the shooting in those games which made me quit UC1-3. And it wasn't really different in UC4 and the shooting is definitely the game's weak point in my opinion. It helped that I played on Explorer difficulty with all aim assistants enabled but I still disliked the shooting passages. With the negative stuff out of the way, here is what I liked about UC4: the climbing/parkour felt good most of the time even though I sometimes had difficulties to go where I wanted to go, mainly due to the camera. I really enjoyed the story and the characters and the way it was told. The puzzles could have been a bit more elaborate but they were fine. All in all it's a great cinematic experience but I'd prefer a UC game that's just about exploring, climbing and solving puzzles.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

89. Destiny / 60h40 - completed 16.12.18

destiny.jpg

Nearly 4 years after playing it for the first time, the journey has ended. I had beat the campaign and did pretty much everything available in the base game back in the day but never played past that. I got the Collection this year and went through it all since the beginning. And the base game really pales in comparison with both The Taken King and Rise of Iron. TTK in particular is a fantastic expansion that really brings a lot of quality to the game.

Destiny has some of the most satisfying gunplay ever put in a game, and that's the main reason why i put so much time into it, as most of the content is still very rote and repetitious. Playing this in 2018 means that a lot of good stuff is really inaccessible as well. Raids are mostly out, unless it's the most recent one. Strikes are very hit and miss, since the playlist is a joke. I literally got the same one six times in a row. I just gave up on it and did them individually, mostly by myself since it's also rare to find people doing them. Online PvE focused games like this would benefit from some AI companion bots for when the masses leave. But then again bots don't buy DLC so heh.

Aesthetically i like this a lot more than i ever liked Halo. There are some similarities but it's much less garish and silly. The gun porn is off the charts here. Loved the music also. Very good stuff. On the downside, the writing is just all-around terrible. It's bad even by videogame standards. At least they dubbed Dinklage out, which was a wise choice. No more sleepy Ghost thingy.

Happy to be done with this so i can get on that sweet Forsaken thing i've been hearing about.

90. 12 Labours of Hercules IV: Mother Nature / 7h30 - 17.12.18

12-Labours-of-Hercules-IV-Mother-Nature-5.7.jpg

The latest introduction to the series is Nega Hercules, which is a right little asshole that prevents workers from getting to where they need to go. I could do without him. Otherwise, it's much of the same, now with some more levels.

The dollar store mobile artstyle is growing on me :/

Last edited:

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
Gonna post this hear, since I've already finished my 52nd game!

#52 .hack//G.U. Rebirth – Completed 12/16/18

I love the worldbuilding, and it has a ton of charm, but I can't recommend this to anyone really. Still gonna finish the Trilogy (Quadrology?), though. Bit anti-climatic for my 52nd game!

Probably going to finish at least one more of these + Muv Luv Alternative before 2019 hits.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
126. Rayman Legends

Defeated the final Teensee Magician, though I need to go back and clean up on collectables :P
Still a great solid 2D platformer.

127. Blue Estate

This is an on-rails shooter that's based on a comic book of the same name. I quite enjoyed my time playing the game but stages being around 20 minutes long was something of a bad idea IMO.

Last edited:

Baloota

May 12, 2018
Egypt
Currently finishing Devil May Cry and Dead Space and i have to say. As someone who've never played any Devil May Cry title. This is shaping up to be one of my favourite series of all time. Devil May Cry 1 is already one of my favourite games despite it's age.
Dead Space on the other hand, started out very strong but became a shooting fiesta and a feel like it overstayed it's welcome. Not sure if i'm gonna give the second and third games a shot.
I will write more once i finish them.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dead Space on the other hand, started out very strong but became a shooting fiesta and a feel like it overstayed it's welcome.

The sequels get more shootier with each game, so if you dislike that part of the first one you might not enjoy them much. That being said, Dead Space 2 is a masterpiece and the best in the series by far, in my opinion. It loses a bit of the cohesive atmosphere of the first game but makes it up in pacing, variety and just overall craziness. They really went all out with it. The third one has its moments but i found it the weaker of the bunch.

Oct 27, 2017
Main Post

64. Yoshi's Woolly World - Wii U
Completed 12/16/18
Score - 8/10

Really creative and charming platformer. Each world I was surprised at how unique and varied the levels could be. The graphics looked really nice too on the little Wii U. It's definitely on the easy side unless you try and go for 100% in each level. I really liked each of the boss fights too. Don't pass this one up. I think the worst part of the game was the music, while not bad, it was just not memorable.

tumblr_n70mwaLQsk1rp3wg0o1_500.gif

65. Sonic the Hedgehog 3 - Genesis
Completed 12/17/18
Score - 7/10

Having never made it past the carnival zone as a kid...it was time to finally tackle this game. I think this is definitely my least favorite of the original trilogy. I don't love the music and it felt like many traps were in places that prevented you from ever getting fast. I will say that the bosses were much improved and the power-ups were a lot of fun. Sonic 2 still has the best soundtrack from any of these games. This one felt like it was trying to hard to be edgy in the 90's. Still a quality game.

tumblr_ndamdisMTW1rcy80ko3_400.gif

Baloota

May 12, 2018
Egypt
The sequels get more shootier with each game, so if you dislike that part of the first one you might not enjoy them much. That being said, Dead Space 2 is a masterpiece and the best in the series by far, in my opinion. It loses a bit of the cohesive atmosphere of the first game but makes it up in pacing, variety and just overall craziness. They really went all out with it. The third one has its moments but i found it the weaker of the bunch.
I'm more of a survival horror guy but i might give Dead Space 2 a shot to see the full potential. I have the third from instant game collection too so why not.

Sovan Jedi

Oct 30, 2017
Southampton, UK
I wasn't planning on doing this again this year, but I ended up beating more than 52 games anyway so why not.

1. Snake Pass
This was a lovely game with a pretty original concept. Quite chilled - I actually started this way earlier in 2017, but I didn't like playing it for extended periods of time. It was perfect to pick up and beat the odd level or two at a time though. I don't think I got all the collectibles but I enjoyed it.
8/10

2. Zelda: Breath of the Wild DLC
I love the main game and I was looking forward to the DLC. I was hoping it'd add more unique enemies and bosses, but alas. The extra Shrines that were added were really fun though, and I enjoyed the DLC's final dungeon and boss too. I think I would've wanted more, but I don't think it was so little content that I felt cheated.
8/10

3. Bot Vice
This game I actually started in 2017 but I was frustrated beyond belief with the game's difficulty. Then when I played it again this year, I actually learned how to dodge properly and it became much more manageable. Was still a tough game though. The recreation of 16-bit Konami-made, SNES-era is flawless, though I think some of its reference to other pop culture was a bit too on the nose. It was a fine game.
7/10

4. Albino Lullaby (Episode 1)
A unique concept; a horror game with no jump scares and containing (sort of) bright neon colours. It was certainly creepy and I liked the world building. Some of the setpieces were annoying though, the solutions felt a bit too random to me. I'm looking forward to episode 2 whenever that decides to come out.
7/10

5. Tiny Barbarian DX
DISCLAIMER: I work for Nicalis so this and other Nicalis-published games in my list were given as gifts.
Tiny Barbarian is a game that surprises in a good way - it starts off at first as a sort of half-arsed, not-very-engaging attempt to recreate "retro" style through its pixel art and it doesn't impress at first (though it does control well and the level designs are varied). Then it does an Okami and keeps going beyond where you think it'll end and it just gets better and better, with even more varied level designs and harder challenges. By the time I managed to beat the hugely challenging final boss my opinion of the game was turned around and I ended up loving it. An underrated gem.
8.5/10

6. UN Squadron (Arcade)
I love the SNES game and played it religiously, but never even knew there was an arcade game it was based on. I was expecting it to be much the same game but with better pixel art and effects. However it turns out that the arcade game is much more linear and lacks a lot of the interesting elements of the home version (no map screen, limited weapon choices per level, and some of the cooler bosses from the SNES version weren't even in the arcade). I had fun, but I think I'd rather stick with the home release.
6/10

7. Prehistoric Isle 2 (Arcade)
There's not a lot to say about this one; it's a sidescrolling shooter where the enemies are fun interpretations of dinosaurs and other prehistoric animals. Pretty manic, looks quite good (the prerendered 3D aged surprisingly good thanks to the style they went with) and controls nicely, but not something that's going to have a lasting impact on me.
6/10

8. Double Dragon (Arcade)
I grew up playing the Master System version of this game, of all versions (I went to replay that version again this year and it is absolute torture). One of the original sidescrolling beat 'em ups and still fun today. Controls nicely. Obviously played it 2 player to get the REAL final boss experience.
7/10

9. What Remains of Edith Finch
[WARNING: PLOT TALK SPOILERS]This game annoyed me. The main story is that the family is cursed to die in unique ways, and every single one of their deaths is stupid. Even though they're all presented in very unique and memorable ways and the storytelling is solid, I just couldn't accept the main premise of the game. Even the main character dying during childbirth pissed me off. I would rate this highly, but the story aspect of this narrative-driven game didn't agree with me.
6/10

10. Crypt of the Necrodancer (Switch)
Awesome, awesome game. Played through it a lot on PC, and now I have it on the go with me. Great music, addictive gameplay and the DLC additions are fun. I'll never ever be able to get the true ending because I am a pansy and will never be able to play through using the final character, but I ran through the game enough times to see enough endings to be satisfied. Very recommended.
9/10

11. Sine Mora EX
Another sidescrolling shooter. This one has more of a narrative focus than others I'm used to. To be honest I had trouble understanding much of the plot, and it ended on a twist that annoyed me too. But taking that out of the picture, I wasn't too enamoured with the gameplay either. It's quite a slow paced game and there wasn't much of a good game feel to it. It has a varied range of bossfights, but some were much better than others (one near the end of the game especially stood out as a bit of a stinker). I don't think I'd come back to this one again.
5/10

12. The End Is Nigh
DISCLAIMER: Freebie from work, also did some promotional art for its release.
I had heard of this game before, but was expecting it to be similar to Super Meat Boy. However, it turned out to be more of a Metroid-like, with multiple branching paths and collectibles. No power-ups; all you need to reach some areas is simple ingenuity and reflexes, and I really liked that. The game starts off challenging and finishes off nightmarish, which seems to fit in well with Ed McMillan's mantra for storytelling, where a character is in a fucked-up situation and the world just gets to inexplicably more fucked up situations to the point where you pine for the "good" levels of fucked up again. It's very amusing, and I enjoyed my time with it.
8/10

13. Ittle Dew 2
DISCLAIMER: Freebie from work.
Ittle Dew 2 presents itself as a parody of games such as Legend of Zelda, and it certainly has the basics of a parody down. However, it seems more interested in telling a joke and lampshading adventure game tropes than making a good game. The bosses are repetitive and don't really offer much of an incentive to get clever fighting them, the overworld isn't very fun to explore and NPCs are extremely forgettable. The game as a whole is also very easy. I did like how the dungeons were presented though, and some had some nice puzzles. Overall the game is fine, and even though I found it a bit forgettable, I would certainly give it to my niece or nephew to play as their first venture into Zelda-likes.
7/10

14. Sky Force Reloaded
Sky Force started off as a free-to-play smartphone game (I think it was f2p; maybe I'm mistaken) and despite this being a full priced game, it certainly carries over some of the grinding, experience point-based traits of smartphone games over. It does make the game repetitive, but there was a lot of stuff to unlock and play through for your money. It's slow, but the game looks fantastic and felt very solid to play, so I had a ton of fun playing through it regardless. One thing they added to this version is dialogue from the main villain, and I'm just going to say it; it's fucking awful and I hate it every time it pops up. But yeah, very solid game, I liked it.
7.5/10

15. Xenodrifter
A cute little Metroid-like game on a budget, this is a solid retro style game with a fun plane-swapping mechanic similar to the developer's other game, Mutant Mudds. Everything feels small, but it's tight and snappy, and I liked that part of it. Even though the boss fights are almost entirely the game aside from some extra attacks for harder variants, I honestly didn't mind. It's a fairly cheap game and an enjoyable one.
7/10

16. The Adventure Pals
DISCLAIMER: I was commissioned for some animations for this game.
This is an adventure platforming game with a lot to explore. It's longer than I expected, and the characters and dialogue are charmingly written and genuinely made me laugh at points. It does start off a little on the easy side, but by the end it does get quite challenging. The levels do vary a lot during the game, but by the end certain setpieces do pop up again and again. I would relate this game to Ittle Dew 2 as a game I would have my niece and nephew play as one of their first ventures into gaming, especially with the character designs.
7.5/10

17. Sega's Golden Gun
Well Sega clearly needed some money quick when they put this title out, because there is a TON of reused and reskinned content from the House of the Dead series. Even though this was a game released much later, it feels surprisingly janky compared to even the first HOTD game. It's also surprisingly easy for an arcade game, and it even has the atrocious voice acting that Sega arcade games are known for. Where the HOTD series is able to churn out classics, though, I'm thinking I'll never touch this game ever again, unless it's a choice between this and Crossy Road as the only two arcade machines available to play.
5/10

18. Earthworm Jim 2
I'm a huge Earthworm Jim fan, and I felt it was worth going back to replay some of the games in the franchise again. And then it hit me; these games, for how well animated, gorgeous and full of fun ideas they may be... they're not actually very fun to play. I think the floaty controls don't help, and because everything has to play through all of their animations it really slows down some of the actioney segments. Earthworm Jim 2 also suffers a bit from how bonkers the variety between levels get, because none of them are super solid levels. Plus, it's just all very disjointed and doesn't feel like a coherent game but rather I'm playing one of those Wii Rabbids minigame compilations. It's also a bit of an easy slog until it gets to the final stage, which is beyond frustrating. A case of the nostalgia goggles hit me hard on this one, methinks.
6/10

19. Isolated Warrior
A completely unknown (to me) NES game that I randomly picked up at a retro market once. Turns out to be a rather surprisingly enjoyable game. It's not very long but the difficulty ramp is huge, so it took a while to beat (and even then I didn't get to reach the secret final stage, but whatever). It's one of those games where if you die once and lose all your powerups the game is nigh impossible to continue with, but that's to be expected of NES games of this era. I enjoyed it, would recommend.
8/10

20. Batman: Return of the Joker
Now this is a game I've been after for a while, a bit more on the costly side for NES games. It's sought after probably because it's visually quite marvellous for an NES game, and I have to agree. The sprite work, animation, little polished touches are gorgeous, and Sunsoft prove that they were awesome at making the NES look (and sound!) awesome. Wish I could say the gameplay was as good though. The large sprites make for some cumbersome navigation and empty levels, yet also manage to throw in some very unforgiving level designs. The difficulty is all over the place, where the game is super hard about 3/4 of the way in but the final boss is an absolute Joke(r).
6/10

21. Rocket: Robot on Wheels
Sucker Punch's first ever game! To think they would go on to make Sly and inFamous after this. You could see a lot of staples of their game design DNA in this one, where the focus is on original spins on tried-and-true genres and pulling lots of fun ideas out of the tools they give themselves. I'm not particular a big fan of the character designs (as I am not in any of Sucker Punch's games) but the gameplay makes up for it, and they get some nice humour in there too. Bit of an underrated gem for the N64.
8/10

22. Fighter's Destiny
A fighting game with a twist; rather than just winning based on depleting the opponent's health bar you can win on points, which can be achieved through things like ring out, grabs, counters and super throws. It makes things quite fresh, but also a bit hairy as even a novice CPU could just randomly pull a counter out of their arse and net enough points to win the match. I wish this had been more popular, because it would be nice to see what other developers could've done with this setup.
7/10

23. Ultraman: To The Future
This game is balls. There's no two ways around it. However, it's the nostalgic kind of awful that I grew up with and still love despite its crappiness. Bandai made a lot of fighting games back in the day, and the only ones to make it out of Japan seem to be either terrible or insanely broken - this falls into the former category, where the fighting feels as wooden as the acting in an Ultraman movie, nothing feels like it connects well, the animation is awful, the music is forgettable, and it's not even 2 player. It's not a good game, and I wouldn't have it any other way.
3/10

24. Mr. Nutz
There are usually a lot of lists on the internet that comment on best-looking 16-bit games, but none of them ever list this game, which is a shame because some of the pixel art here is GORGEOUS. It's not consistent though (some bits are just okayish) but the good bits do shine. Surprisingly solid platformer too, though some bosses and levels are outlandishly difficult spikes in an otherwise quite beatable game. I wouldn't say it's the most amazing platformer, but I think it's overlooked and I can think of worse, for sure.
7/10

25. Pop n' Twinbee
This vertical shooter is adorable and beautiful. It's one of the first instances I could think of where a game took a different and very confident artistic direction and still own it. It just looks happy and fun, and it is! Not a huge amount to say about this one, but it's another solid Konami game and another reminder that Konami did use to be proud of making good games once upon a time.
7.5/10

26. Metroid: Samus Returns (3DS)
[WARNING: FINAL BOSS SPOILERS]I played through AM2R a year before this game came out, and I was very upset that Nintendo took the game down, even though they were well within their rights to do so. Needless to say, I was heading into this Metroid 2 remake with a little bit of bias. I did enjoy my time with it though, I have to admit. The game is solid and they have some fun setpieces (especially with a certain boss you encounter a few times) and it was just nice to play a real Metroid game again. However even without biases, I do think AM2R was a more solid, tightly designed game, with much more variety in enemies and amazing ideas. It also, ironically, feels less fanservicey than the non-fangame version, since they don't throw in a random Ridley encounter in at the end like Samus Returns did.
8/10

27. de Blob
This was a fun platformer. It's pretty chilled and fun to just roll around and paint the entire landscape, with music building up the more each area fills with colour and fun things. Cute little animations for everyone. I felt like the game would have benefited if the setup was lots of smaller levels instead of 10 really big ones, or that maybe this could have varied more as the game progressed, but I think it lends itself quite well to a pick-up-and-play format. Overall, a pleasant experience.
7/10

28. Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon
With worry about the main attraction that is the Kickstarter'd Bloodstained game, I thought I'd give this a try and reassure myself that the game will be in good hands. If Curse of the Moon is anything to go by, I don't think I have much to worry about. This was a very fun Castlevania-like game with great level designs, some amazing bosses and rocking music throughout. Inti Creates absolutely knows how to make good retro inspired games, and this is right up there with their best.
9/10

29. Pokemon Quest
A silly little timewaster that proved to be surprisingly addictive. There's not really a lot to say about how the game played because the gameplay was quite basic, but you have enough choices between types of Pokemon, their moves, their formations and switching to manual dodging during quests to make it more compelling than a lot of other F2P games. I wish the base camp was bigger so I could show off some of my collectibles better, and once again it's more Gen 1 pandering so it runs out of steam once you've finished with Mewtwo, but I did enjoy it enough to beat it.
7/10

30. Pixeljunk Monsters 2
I love Tower Defence games. They're such a satisfying genre of game, and it doesn't take a lot to make me enjoy a new Tower Defence game as long as the core elements of a Tower Defence game is there. I think, however, this might be my new favourite of the genre though, because the artstyle is lovely and the music is so soothing, it's such a chilled game. I might actually have to go back to play this again after writing these posts.
8.5/10

31. Hollow Knight
Wow. That's all I can say about this one. Metroid-like games are a dime a dozen these days so they have to be something special in order to stand out. Same goes for games wanting to be the new Dark Souls. However, this game mixes those two perfectly, with enemies that punish poor players heavily but reward good players with satisfaction, a world with as many questions as it does answers and NPCs that you feel strange attachment to, even though they all just tend to do their own thing most of the time. Throw in some gorgeous music and a striking, wonderful artstyle, and you have one of the best the genre has put out in a long time. Probably one of my GOTYs.
9.5/10

32. Joe n' Mac Caveman Ninja (Arcade)
I love dinosaurs, so I need to play everything to do with them. I liked the Joe n Mac games on SNES and NES but I wouldn't exactly say they are amazing games. Much like UN Squadron though, I couldn't resist checking out the original arcade version. And honestly, it's a bit of a mess. See, the Joe n' Mac games are slllloooooowwwwww action platformers, with a balance of platforming skills and combat. Where most action games are quite speedier but throw harder enemies at you to try and tackle, Joe n' Mac's difficulty relies entirely on throwing so much shit at you every step you take. And that ends up making the game even slowerm, as you have to inch along to make sure you don't end up dying from a caveman ninja flying kicking you within seconds of moving on. It's just a very cheap way of upping the challenge and it gets very old fast. Definitely more to do with eating quarters than providing any meaningful gameplay qualities.
5/10

Last edited:

Sovan Jedi

Oct 30, 2017
Southampton, UK
33. Crash Bandicoot
I never grew up with Crash Bandicoot and as an avid gamer I wanted to check out this franchise that so many people grew up with on the PlayStation. Honestly, it's not bad, but it's not exactly up there with classics in gaming history. I like that they switch the levels up regularly and it looks like a fun time which probably wowed during its original launch. The difficulty ramps up considerably by the end, but it's nothing that can't be conquered. I'm happy I got to play through this, but it's just not something I would rank alongside Mario and Sonic to be honest.
7/10

34. Bomb Chicken
Nitrome pride themselves on making small games with an interesting (and quite original) gimmick, and Bomb Chicken is no exception. Trying to work out how to tackle the levels is very fun when your only way to propel yourself upwards is to lay a tower of bombs under you, and they do so many interesting things with that concept. The pixel art is also really good. I enjoyed this one a ton.
8/10

35. Owlboy
Holy fucking cheeseballs this game looks incredible. As a fan of pixel art, this has to be one of the best-looking games I have ever seen, with the most incredible pixel art ever. It's simply a joy to take it all in. But alongside that is a cute story with interesting mechanics and fun puzzles based around that, and a lovely soundtrack. The only things I would say is that the bosses weren't as fun as they probably could have been, and some of the plot elements are a little weak, but other than that, I loved this one.
8.5/10

36. Enter the Gungeon
Guns guns guns guns. This game really runs the gun theme to the ground doesn't it? It's a fun, challenging roguelike with a lot of unlocks. The thing I enjoyed the most are the different playable characters and how their stories finish; unique end bosses and a look into their motives for entering the Gungeon made it quite satisfying. If I had to say something bad about this, it's that some of the pixel art is pretty amateur in spots, but it's not enough to mar the experience. Caution: As of writing this, the Switch version had a ton of bugs which caused some very frustrating deaths and straight-up crashes. I actually didn't get the true ending because the game crashed during the final form of the final boss, and I was so salty I didn't attempt it ever again.
7.5/10

37. Dead Cells
To begin with, this roguelike platformer is something special. It looks good, has a great soundtrack, and the combat is very snappy and satisfying. It feels very fun to play around with, and the different weapons you can unlock (and the randomised properties of each) gives this a looong shelf life. However, there is a big problem I had with this game; the bosses are just not fun. There are only four, and two are a complete joke, one is a damage sponge, and the final boss is so unbelievably frustrating and challenging unless you have a very specific loadout - a problem so severe that it undermines a lot of Dead Cells' roguelike qualities and saps the fun out of it. I reeally wanted to loves this overall, but that final boss sucks so badly.
6/10

38. Azure Striker Gunvolt
I blazed my way through this one, and I'm struggling to think of much to say about it to be honest. I think I was expecting something more akin to Mega Man X, but it didn't satisfy me in the ways I wanted to. I give them full marks for trying something different with the main character's method of attack, but it really feels like it doesn't make the game satisfying to play, and different for different's sake just doesn't cut it. The plot is also lame and I hated every character; mercifully, you can switch off the in-game dialogue. Overall, I think I won't come back to play this one again.
6/10

39. Azure Striker Gunvolt 2
One thing I admire about Inti Creates is their unyielding ability to improve on their own sequels, and to pinpoint problem areas in the previous game(s) to make the next one a better experience. While I wouldn't say I think this makes Gunvolt 2 a classic, I did like it much more than the first game. Levels are designed a little better, characters aren't as annoying, and the optional character you can play as, who has different fighting mechanics to Gunvolt, feels much more to my liking. I feel like they could have done a MegaMan Zero with the franchise and ended up with something amazing bu the third or fourth games, but I guess this will do for now.
7.5/10

40. Earth Defence Force 4.1
Soldiers killing swarms of insects. It's not clever but it is fun to just mow down streams and streams of insects, robots, flying saucers and the like. The game runs like shit even on PS4 and it's not a glamourous title to say the least, but if you just want some good, no-nonsense cathartic insect slaughtering action, this works. It did the job for me.
7/10

41. Gauntlet Slayer Edition
It's kind of a dumb Diablo-ripoff now, which I guess makes sense since Gauntlet was kind of the forefather to games like Diablo to begin with. There really isn't a lot to say about this one; it's by-the-numbers standard affair. I had fun with it, I might even go back to play it again someday. Just nothing amazing, really.
7/10

42. The Messenger
This was a game full of surprises. It plays like a kind of Ninja Gaiden-like game complete with set levels and retro style art and music, then dramatically switches around halfway through to a completely different genre, throwing in a whole new mechanic that changes everything (I won't spoil it, it's too fun to have it spoiled like that) I liked it, though the game isn't without its problems. The writing isn't great, at points bordering on cringeworthy, and for how fun "the twist" is, it does make the game a little too long for my liking. I think some of the travelling around could also have been streamlined a bit better too. But I did like this one, it was a surprisingly good one.
8/10

43. Mega Man 3
This is an absolute classic, one of the very best Mega Man games out there. I've beaten it countless times, but I felt like giving it another go again. The levels are so fun and they throw in lots of new toys and gimmicks in this one compared to 2. Classic tunes, great visuals, a very well-rounded game. Surprisingly though, I found it much easier than I remember it being and though I'm not exactly a speedrunning master at these games, I finished it much quicker than I expected. I loved it all the way, of course. A great game that still holds up strong to this day.
9/10

44. Taz-Mania
I think I must have had a nostalgia weekend sometime this year, probably the same one I beat Mega Man 3 on, because I desperately wanted to play this again. Full disclaimer; this game is awwwwful, but I knew it was before I played it again, it's just one of those itches you might have to play a game of your childhood again. Miraculously, it's aged even worse than I remember, with some of the worst sound I've ever heard from a Mega Drive game, bland visuals, some REALLY awful bosses you can cheese easily and frequently. Also, aside from two SUPER UNFAIR stages in the middle of the game, the whole thing is a cinch to just blaze through. Hopefully I don't have the idea to play this one again anytime soon, but it's nice to remind yourself that truly bad games are out there so you can be reminded how good games usually are.
3/10

45. Thunder Force 4
This is heralded as an absolute classic on the Mega Drive, and I can see why. It's fast, full of action, looks great, has a cool soundtrack and fun powerups. I wouldn't say it's the best sidescrolling shooter ever (Lords of Thunder takes that for me) but I am very thankful I got to play through this one, it was a treat.
8/10

46. Minit
One of the most unique ideas for a game I've come across in a while - an adventure game where you have to accomplish as much in one minute as you can before you "die" and reset back to the starting point. You can move your starting point to other designated areas around the map, so it's not as limiting as it may at first seem. It has a cute artstyle and it does some very fun things with the timer (like having one NPC tell you important things but r e a l l y slowly so you have to dedicate a lot of time to hear him out) I enjoyed this one a lot. I need to go and work out how to find some of the hidden items in it someday soon.
8/10

47. Gradius (NES)
I came to this one at a very late date, and I feel like I'm reviewing it unfairly just because of that and having played lots of other, more advanced shooters that proceeded it. I liked to check out the origin of the Gradius franchise, so it was good for that, but Gradius has never really been a great franchise to me. It's quite a typical NES shooter now. I thought it was only okay after all that.
6/10

48. Probotector (GB)
Unlike Gradius on the NES above, this is a game I came to much, much later and I still throught it was great. Having accepted the limitations of the Game Boy (and how this bitesized entry in the franchise has only 5 levels) I enjoyed my time with it a ton. It looks great for the system, and it's nice that it has so many different levels compared to the other Contra games, rather than just trying to convert as much of the bigger brother counterparts as it could. It's a shame it's only one player, but I would definitely recommend this one if you're into this sort of thing.
9/10

49. R-Type (GB)
Speaking of trying to convert bigger console versions of games into handheld form, we've got R-Type on the Game Boy, an attempt to make the original R-Type work on this limited hardware. The end result is quite a sluggish, overly finnicky and butchered attempt at the classic original. It's not really a good conversion, and I didn't enjoy my time with it much.
5/10

50. R-Type 2 (GB)
This has all the same problems as R-Type on the Game Boy above, except it's trying to convert parts of the SNES game Super R-Type too. Strangely enough, where the first Game Boy game erred on the challenging side all too much, this game is a joke, even before the infinite continues are taken into account. So many of the bosses can be killed before they even make their full first appearance on the screen or start to fight properly! It's bizarre that they did that with this game.
5/10

51. Blue's Journey
I only picked this game up because the game's antagonist was a meme on an old forum I used to go to - it has absolutely no value to anyone else other than that. It controls like arse with atrocious graphics, some terrible translation issues and the most forgettable level designs imaginable. Attacking things just doesn't feel right at all, and every boss is shit. Avoid this one at all costs.
2/10

52. Mega Man 11
I had my reservations about this one going in, but after finishing through the game a few times now, I think I'm (mostly) satisfied with it. It's a fun throwback to classic Mega Man with some fun level designs and themes and a good variety of silly enemies, bosses and challenging platforming to make it a good time. It doesn't quite hold up to the best of the franchise due to a few problems I have with it; the Double Gear system makes the game all too easy if exploited as intended (so I just ignored it for most of the game) and the Wily Castle stages just give up with the level designs halfway through. I also find the music the most forgettable of the series. Gripes aside, though, I enjoyed it, and I'm happy Capcom are making Mega Man games again.
7/10

53. Gone Home
I heard a lot about this walking simulator back during its release and it became a firm favourite especially among the LGBTQ crowd, so I guess I knew the "twist" well in advance. However, I really enjoyed going through this house and finding the whole story out in such a natural, fun manner. The main girl seemed so nice and relatable and I felt for her plight as well as her friends and family (even through her taste in music was shit) and by the end I was both happy and sad. There's a lot of emotion put into the narrative and it was so well written and presented fun, and they even managed to get some good jokes and mystery in there. This is the gold standard to which all narrative games need to learn by.
9/10

54. Dark Souls: Remastered
I'm definitely a Soulsborne gamer and played through Dark Souls more than a few times already - but having a Switch version on the go was just irresistable. I think the base game is brilliant and I still do, so I'm just going to review it based on how I think the Switch version fares. And honestly, it's pretty impressive. There are some graphical effects missing, and on New Game + I noticed some really odd sound issues, but other than that (and still only being 30fps) it's a very solid port, and having it on the go with me was simply a delight. Recommended.
8/10

55. Ren & Stimpy: Veediots!
Yet another game from my childhood that I wanted to play purely for nostalgic reasons and not for any valuable gameplay. To be honest, though, this Ren and Stimpy game isn't as bad as I remember it being. There's lots of variety to the levels and it controls okayish, plus there's a ton of visuals and audio cues straight from the show which was fun. The developers had a lot of fun with this, even though it could've done with a ton more polish.
5/10

56. Turok 2: Seeds of Evil (Game Boy)
I had a Turok game on Game Boy that was sadly stolen from me years ago, and I thought I had bought it again to finish what I never could back then. Unfortunately I messed up and bought this game instead, something which holds no nostalgia for me. I should be okay with this game because dinosaurs, but other than (snore) raptors and the occasional dinosaur-themed boss, there's not a lot of that to be found in Turok 2. The game also starts off with a really terrible first level akin to finding aliens in Bart Versus the Space Mutants which involves a lot of running around (without a gun yet, just to add!) and backtracking. Past there, it's pretty bog standard affair. The only thing that stood out to me with this game was the music was actually really good; Alberto Gonzalez strikes again.
5/10

57. On The Ball/Cameltry
Someone took that maze rolling bonus game from Sonic 1 and turned it into a whole game. It's pretty simple and over far, far too quickly. If this game had about triple the levels and more unique ideas then it could have been something good, but ah well. Not much else to say about this one to be honest.
5/10

58. Deltarune (Chapter 1)
Toby Fox's newest story being woven came right the hell out of nowhere and it's just as captivating as Undertale was. The guy knows how to tell a story with heart and with a hearty laugh. Even though many of the new characters in this have very similar parallels to Undertale, there's enough differences to make them their own characters whom you go through a lot of emotions and eventually fall for. It's also got an absolutely FANTASTIC soundtrack, something else Toby Fox should be praised for. It's a bit short, but it does set things up for the rest of the Deltarune story. I loved it!
9/10

59. Castlevania: Curse of Darkness
In my plight to consume everything Castlevania-related I seeked out this PS2 entry. I beat Lament of Innocence years prior and thought it was good but not great, so I was hoping this one would be a big improvement. In the end, it's just... fine. There's a bit of Pokemon in there with monsters you can train and have fight alongside you, and some cool music and throwbacks to other Castlevania games. What hurts this game for me though are the level designs; they're so boring it was a chore to make my way anywhere - even the fast travel in place wasn't much of a relief. Also for a game based on a series known for its challenging platforming, having a game with almost no platforming whatsoever was an... interesting choice, to say the least. Definitely not one of my favourites of the franchise.
7/10

60. Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate
I "finished" this game in much the same way you "finish" other games in the series, in that you beat a specific monster and see credits, but you honestly know you're not even close to being done with the game and its content. God this game as a lot of monsters. Some of them I haven't even fought once yet. It's pretty much a Monster Hunter! There's not much to say. If I had played World more I probably would've had trouble going back to this game and lacking the QoL changes World had made, but as of now I'm enjoying how much c o n t e n t this game has compared to the others. It kept me going for a long time, and will do for a long time more.
8/10

61. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (World of Light)
[WARNING: SPOILER TALK] Smash Bros. Ultimate is brilliant and I love it! But for this I'm just going to talk about World of Light, the single player campaign this game has. Comparisons to Subspace don't help, as for all its faults Subspace did have a plot and more varied stage designs and different enemies to fight - World of Light is just a series of several hundred Special Smashes meant to represent non-fighter characters, represented in the game as "Spirits". They do some very fun and cool interpretations of a lot of these, to be sure. But the biggest problem I had with this mode is that there it just goes on for far. far. FARRRRRR too long. I felt exhausted by the time I got to fighting who I thought was the end boss, only to find I wasn't even halfway done. It's absolutely a case of quantity over quality, and it still has some of Subspace's issues like repeated bossfights. I was so done with this by the time I reached the end; I hope the next Smash Bros. gives us something short and sweet, like Melee's Adventure Mode instead.
6/10 (World of Light)
9/10 (Main game)

62. GRIS
What a beautiful, beautiful game. The artstyle is so confident here that you can't ignore it, and it persists from the first cutscene right up to the end credits. Stunning handdrawn animations, and scenery with splashes of colour everywhere, it's just a delight. The game itself is very fun too; with no death scenarios removing stress and puzzle sections which, while not childishly simple, aren't heavy enough to slow down gameplay or frustrate. It's a great experience and I enjoyed every minute of it.
9/10

63. Fatal Frame 5: Maiden of Black Water
Oy, this game has its problems. Fatal Frame has always been a very scary series with some incredible set pieces and a permanent air of misery and woe that guarantees to suck laughter out from everyone playing. This game has a lot of those elements to it, plus introducing us to multiple new things to the series (including modern scenery, multiple characters and the water-based system). The trouble is that a lot of it feels wasted. The water mechanic, where you become weaker and induce more scares the wetter you become, not only seems like just an excuse to see your female protagonists soaking wet and showing undergarments through translucent clothing, but also ruins the scares on hand (since they happen so much more often - especially the "reach out to grab something and a ghostly hand grabs you" sections - they quickly stop being scary and just end up being annoying). The game also makes you go through the same areas of the game way, way, way too many times, and without any good puzzles and a lot of the same ghosts appearing in the same areas each time the game becomes repetitive. It also has one of the worst, most teeth-gnashingly awful chase sequences I've seen yet in a Fatal Frame game. I will probably never return to this game again, unless someone forces me to.
4/10

TOP THREE GAMES I PLAYED OF 2018:
1. Hollow Knight
2. Deltarune
3. GRIS

WORST GAMES I PLAYED IN 2018:
1. Blue's Journey
2. Taz-Mania (Mega Drive)
3. Ultraman: To The Future

Last edited:

Neil98

May 2, 2018
Madrid, Spain
39. Final Fantasy XV Multiplayer Comrades PS4
40. FIFA 18 PS4
41. Kingdom Hearts Union Cross Classic Kingdom Android
42. Pokemon GO Generation 1 Android
43. Red Dead Redemption PS3
44. Red Dead Redemption Undead Nightmare PS3
45. Undertale PS4

Last edited:

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MAIN POST 4

Total games: 100
Total time: 948h50

91. The Room Two / 2h10 - completed 17.12

The-Room-Two.jpg

Didn't enjoy it as much as the first one. I felt the places visited, though tematically more interesting and varied, were less fun to explore, less packed with secrets and smart interactions. There was less storytelling as well. The puzzles were much easier this time around. I don't want to keep bagging on it as it's still very enjoyable though. It's just that i found the first game so perfectly designed and balanced that a sequel would always have a hard time maintaining the same level of brilliance. On the bright side, the creepy atmosphere is a big part of the charm of the series and it's no less present here, and the puzzles have some very interesting ideas, such as the matryoshka-like nature of one of the later rooms. An overall positive experience, even if a little bit disappointing.

92. Late Shift / 2h30 - completed 18.12.18

353c3800d2874f23b1cb24d5ad6df192.jpg

This is a hard one. On a positive note, i very much liked the film aspect of it. It's reasonably well directed and the acting is better than what i expected. It's not a terribly interesting story but it has its moments. All of it is enhanced by the interactivity of course, weaving an extra connection to the material through direct participation. There are some tough choices to be made but here is where Late Shift started to show its two main weaknesses, which are linked. The biggest problem i had with it was the lack of any sort of flow chart or directory from where to manage repeat playthroughs. The game expects me to play through its entirety on each go, with no option whatsoever for skipping or even fast forwarding, which is completely ridiculous in my opinion. Which leads me to my second problem with it. There just isn't much there to justify multiple playthroughs, from what i gathered. On my first go around, i got 12 out of 14 scenes. On my second one, i chose differently every single time but the game still corraled me through a playthrough that was about 90% identical. I finished that one with an extra scene to add to the count. There are 7 endings, all of them being full playthroughs, which means that the game expects me to play all the way through it 7 different times for very minimal changes, and that's assuming i get it right each time and never get repeat endings. Nah. I might do it if the quality was there but this ain't no Fury Road. It really doesn't lend itself to so many viewings. Overall, i enjoyed it well enough but with serious caveats.

93. 12 Labours of Hercules V: Kids of Hellas / 8h20 - completed 20.12.18

19361_en_sc1.jpg

Nega Hercules is gone thankfully. The gimmick for entry number 5 is saving kids from the evil toys that are melting their minds (lol), who in turn can collect presents that boost resources. It's kind of a balancing act at times.

I really don't know what more to write about these games to be honest.

94. Monument Valley 2 / 1h50 - completed 21.12.18

nexus2cee_mv2.jpg

What a lovely and charming game. Despite being on mobile, it's easily among the most beautiful games i've played all year. Which along with the great music and simple yet touching storytelling, makes it a very endearing experience throughout. A few of the levels really stood out due to the sheer inventiveness of the visual design. On the downside, there's really no challenge to speak of and it's shorter than the first game. I found it better overall though.

95. Fairune / 2h30 - completed 21.12.18

1483053334-4108246847.jpg

Since i'm on the subject of lovely games, Fairune is a distillation of the action adventure genre, with its own unique approach to it. The combat reminds me of an even simpler version of the first two Ys games, replacing bumping with literally only touching the enemies. You only gain xp from similar level enemies and you can't even harm enemies two levels higher. You also gain levels extremely fast. But combat is far from being the meat of the game. Puzzles and exploration are the star here, although It's a very linear game. It's a fun world to explore and i finished it in one sitting, which is something i ever rarely do. The last boss does pull an 180 on the game's genre. Not gonna spoil it, but watching the cutscene just prior to the final boss i was thinking 'wouldn't it be cool if the game now did x?'. And, well, the game did just that. Very cool.

96. Mega Man 4 / 4h - completed 22.12.18

175041-mega-man-anniversary-collection-playstation-2-screenshot-mega.jpg

My favorite so far i think. Lots of great levels, enemies and weapons, and i found it to be the easiest as well, which is good. Since i suck at Mega Man. It was definitely the smoothest experience. The music is top notch as well, and there's a lot of good stuff on the visuals. They were really pushing the NES towards the end. Great game all around.

97. Mega Man 5 / 4h20 - completed 23.12.18

mega-man-5-u0001.png

Now MM5 can go die in a fire. I still liked it a lot but damn was this frustrating as hell. Lots of cheap shots and impossible to avoid attacks. The first half was comparatively a breeze, but once i got to Proto Man's fortress, all the bullshit started piling up fast. My least favorite of the sequels. Still better than 1 though.

98. The Room Three / 5h20 - completed 25.12.18

nexus2cee_1.jpg

For the series' third entry, Fireproof Games went all out and crafted a veritable puzzler masterpiece. it's the most complex and rich game of the three by far, and a really great ending to the trilogy. It has four different endings and some of the best puzzles in the series. Instead of the sequential levels of its predecessors, this time around we get an interconnected world, where everything works together. Its eldritch horrors finally come to the fore and things wrap up pretty satisfyingly, depending on what ending you get. Fantastic.

99. Mega Man 6 / 3h30 - completed 27.12.18

latest

Mega Man 6 is a terrific ending to the NES run, with some of my favorite bosses and weapons, although the levels are a bit on the simplistic side after the last two games. It's also much easier than the last one, thankfully. Really glad i finally gave this series its due after years of procrastination. What a joy these games are.

100. Mystery Case Files: Ravenhearst / 7h40 - completed 31.12.18

1511474779-1150836840.jpg

A HO game to round up the year. This is probably fine on the PC but it's nearly unplayable on the 3DS at times. Some of the puzzles are literally unreadable and i had to use a walkthrough to fumble past them. Apart from that, it's a pretty basic example of the genre, with nothing much to recommend it. Meh.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Main Post

66. Voodoo Vince - Xbox One X
Completed 12/20/18
Score - 6/10

Kind of hated this one. Most of the graphics cleaned up pretty nice and I was impressed a few times at how nice it looked for being an old xbox game. It definitely FEELS old though. The controls are pretty awful, especially at the end of the game. Some of the jumps are ridiculous and annoying. Most of the bosses were a complete joke to beat though. Strange game. It really wasn't that fun to play. The voice for Vince was cringeworthy. I love platformers...I did not love this one.

a7d0d7f603db996f67b180795ba8af92.jpg

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Main post 4: https://www.resetera.com/threads/52-games-1-year-2018.13773/post-16105788

I guess i'm going for 100. I can't be this close and not go for it lol

93. 12 Labours of Hercules V: Kids of Hellas / 8h20 - completed 20.12.18

19361_en_sc1.jpg

Nega Hercules is gone thankfully. The gimmick for entry number 5 is saving kids from the evil toys that are melting their minds (lol), who in turn can collect presents that boost resources. It's kind of a balancing act at times.

I really don't know what more to write about these games to be honest.

94. Monument Valley 2 / 1h50 - completed 21.12.18

nexus2cee_mv2.jpg

What a lovely and charming game. Despite being on mobile, it's easily among the most beautiful games i've played all year. Which along with the great music and simple yet touching storytelling, makes it a very endearing experience throughout. A few of the levels really stood out due to the sheer inventiveness of the visual design. On the downside, there's really no challenge to speak of and it's shorter than the first game. I found it better overall though.

95. Fairune / 2h30 - completed 21.12.18

1483053334-4108246847.jpg

Since i'm on the subject of lovely games, Fairune is a distillation of the action adventure genre, with its own unique approach to it. The combat reminds me of an even simpler version of the first two Ys games, replacing bumping with literally only touching the enemies. You only gain xp from similar level enemies and you can't even harm enemies two levels higher. You also gain levels extremely fast. But combat is far from being the meat of the game. Puzzles and exploration are the star here, although It's a very linear game. It's a fun world to explore and i finished it in one sitting, which is something i ever rarely do. The last boss does pull an 180 on the game's genre. Not gonna spoil it, but watching the cutscene just prior to the final boss i was thinking 'wouldn't it be cool if the game now did x?'. And, well, the game did just that. Very cool.

rahji

Oct 25, 2017
21. Hollow Knight (PS4) Finished at 12/18/2018 Time: ~22 hours

I really like it for a metroidvania. I achieved 58 % completion and still search for more secrets. There is still a lot to uncover. It feels a lot like Dark Souls. It tells its story by its enemies, areas, items and contrary to Souls in dialogue. Very cool atmosphere in some areas, especially I like the music in Resting Grounds

22. Red Dead Redemption 2 Finished at 12/21/2018 Time: don't know actually but it took 7 weeks

The new gold standard for me in open world design. There is so much to see and every possibility is accounted for. The attention to detail is astounding. My favorite mission New Jerusalem, a very cool mission with the music.

Maybe I can squeeze another game in before the year ends, but I won't make it to 52. Next year, I guess!

PC90

Enlightened
Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Original post

h2x1_nswitch_pokemonlgnegt.jpg

59) Pokémon Let's Go Eevee! (Switch, 30 hours)
Very much enjoyed my time with this game, I'll will say the catching mechanic gets a bit old by the end.

headerked49.jpg

60) Katamari Damacy REROLL (Steam, 6 hours and 30 minutes)
Some control and camera issues aside, the game holds up well.

headerlyc2h.jpg

61) Hitman 2 (Steam, 80 hours)
A lot like the first (2016) game, which is not a bad thing. I do want to go back and get the remaining achievements, but that probably won't happen until next year.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
128. The Typing of the Dead Overkill

Tried to take my time with this one but man console releases of on-rail shooters should limit their stages to 10 minutes max @_@. Non the less I enjoyed my time with this game but dang if it isn't the most PS2-ass looking game I've played so far. :P

129. Khimera: Destroy All Monster Girls

This was a fun 2D Action Platformer. Khimera attacks mainly using her stone fist which has short range, but she can get additional abilities that help make stages far easier to beat as well as find secrets. Among her offensive skills are a dash punch, a Pizza Sauce Haduken attack and a shoryuken. While the graphics may not be too appealing, they grew on me and I found the platforming and overall level design nice. The game becomes a lot more easier once you have more hit points by finding the Gourmet Gal who is hiding in secret rooms throughout the 4 main stages.

Baloota

May 12, 2018
Egypt
Previous Post
I've finished a lot of game recently.
13- Dead Space - PS3 - 7.5/10
The game started out as very good survival horror but later turned into a shooting fiesta and it didn't help that later levels are somewhat repetitive. The game definintly overstayed it's welcome, by all means it's not a bad a game and if i would rate the first half i would give it a 9.5 or something. Not sure if i will play through 2 and 3.
14- Devil May Cry HD - PC - 7/10
The controls are clunky, the game didn't age well and the story is cheesy as hell but damn i love this game. I'm curently playing through all dmc games becaue i've never played any of them. I hope i can finish them before DMC5. Anyawy, The game was really hard, never thought it will be that hard. Always felt the need to buy items and didn't get to finish all weapons upgrades. a lot of weapons too and Ifrit was pretty cool. Reminds me of Bone Fist from Dark Souls. The boss that you fight more than once (forgot his name) is probably Vergil. The huge bird was annoying as fuck and i should've been the one TO FILL YOUR DARK SOUL WITH LIIIIIGGHHHTT.
15- Devil May Cry 2 HD - PC - 4/10
What the fuck is this?
16- The Swords of Ditto - PC - 8/10
I've had this game since it was released and i never played it because i thought it's gonna be another Dungeon Crawler with Rougelite elements and i play a lot of those but i was surprised. The cartoony art style is really well done. The gimmick of the sword and the 100 years between each time you die is a nice idea. I hoped there would be more varity it monster designs but it's a great game overall.
Next: Devil May Cry 3 HD - Bladed Fury - Moonlighter - Lethal League

Who is this Dante? why is the gameplay so bland and repetitive? and why does the level design suck so much? and more importanlty, why is this game so easy?
i'm disappointed, i never though i would come from DMC1 to this.

Last edited:

Loadout

Oct 26, 2017
Israel
Main post

52: Gravity Rush 2 | 22nd December
vyvFYFh.jpg

Disappointed. I had high expectation as I really liked the first one, but it feels like Gravity Rush 2 is completely disconnected from whatever made the first one so fun and addicting. The game is infested with mind-bogglingly unfun missions and objectives "Do it the game's designated way or don't do it at all". The stealth segments are absolute trash, most of the side missions are bad, and the game desperately needs a better story. The characters are cute and funny but feel hollow due to the lackluster narrative. I really expected Gravity Rush 2 to break the boundaries of its portability and build upon the fantastic fundamentals of the first game and create a more impressive, fun experience, with a properly developed cast of characters and engaging story, but instead, this just feels like a massive step backward in terms of game design. 5/10

Well, that's it for me. See ya'll next year.

Last edited:

Tambini

Oct 25, 2017
#73 Skyrim 8 Switch - 105 hours
Been chipping away at this over the year and enjoyed revisiting it on Switch. Skyrim has it's problems for sure but a nice world to explore and a ton of content and the freedom to do it however you please help alleviate some of the less good parts

#74 Quake 9 PC - 3 hours
Quake is great and I liked it way more than I was expecting. It holds up and then some, the levels are fantastic, even in the largest levels I always somehow felt like I knew exactly where to go just because of the quality of the design. The weapons are pretty standard but feel and sound good to shoot, the enemy variety is good and constantly forces you to adapt depending on what you're up against

Donsonite

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I have never even came close to finishing 52 games in a year before, so I have no idea how this will go but I have a huge backlog I wanna put a dint in so I'll give it a shot.

Some of these I got 100% for, some I played through multiple times, but I'll just keep it simple and list the games I've finished this year and the platform I finished them on.

Games Completed:
  1. Short Games: Proteus (PC), 9.03m (PC), 140 (PC), 8-bit Bayonetta (PC), My Name is Mayo (PC), Bleed (PC), Type:Rider (PS4), Donut County (PC)
  2. Replays: Bayonetta (PC and Switch), Devil May Cry (PC), DOOM (2016) (PC), Devil May Cry 3 (PC)
  3. Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus (PC)
  4. Destroy All Humans! 2 (PS4)
  5. Doki Doki Literature Club (PC)
  6. Bayonetta 2 (Switch)
  7. Ballpoint Universe: Infinite (PC)
  8. Rayman 2: The Great Escape (PC)
  9. LIMBO (PC)
  10. The Typing of the Dead: Overkill (PC)
  11. Far Cry 3 (PC)
  12. Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon (PC)
  13. NieR:Automata (PC)
  14. Brothers - A Tale of Two Sons (PC)
  15. God of War (PS4)
  16. Persona 5 (PS4)
  17. Max Payne (PC)
  18. Dead Space (PC)
  19. Transformers: Devastation (PC)
  20. Deadpool (PS4)
  21. Call of Duty: WWII (PS4)
  22. Max Payne 2 (PC)
  23. Dark Souls (PC)
  24. Vanquish (PC)
  25. Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon (PC)
  26. Castlevania (NES version on PC)
  27. Resident Evil (remake) (PS4)
  28. Thumper (PC)
  29. Metroid: Zero Mission (GBA version on PC)
  30. Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove (PC)
  31. Devil May Cry 2 (PC)
  32. Marvel's Spider-Man (PS4)
  33. Ultimate DOOM (PC)
  34. Ori and the Blind Forest (PC)
  35. Mega Man (PC)
  36. Cuphead (PC)
  37. The Messenger (PC)
  38. Max Payne 3 (PC)
  39. Dark Souls II (PC)
  40. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS Vita)
  41. Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight (PC)
  42. Half-Life (PC)
  43. Mirror's Edge (PC)
  44. SteamWorld Dig (PC)
  45. Bastion (PC)
  46. SteamWorld Dig 2 (PC)
  47. Darksiders III (PC)
  48. Gravity Rush (PS4)
  49. Hollow Knight (PC)
  50. Resident Evil 7 (PC)
  51. The Mummy Demastered (PC)
  52. Alan Wake (PC)
Well, I finally did it. I've been updating this post buried on page 4 all year. Participating in this thread was a great motivator, so I'm glad I did. Thanks for setting it up Wozzer.

Last edited:

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Main post 4: https://www.resetera.com/threads/52-games-1-year-2018.13773/post-16105788

96. Mega Man 4 / 4h - completed 22.12.18

175041-mega-man-anniversary-collection-playstation-2-screenshot-mega.jpg

My favorite so far i think. Lots of great levels, enemies and weapons, and i found it to be the easiest as well, which is good. Since i suck at Mega Man. It was definitely the smoothest experience. The music is top notch as well, and there's a lot of good stuff on the visuals. They were really pushing the NES towards the end. Great game all around.

97. Mega Man 5 / 4h20 - completed 23.12.18

mega-man-5-u0001.png

Now MM5 can go die in a fire. I still liked it a lot but damn was this frustrating as hell. Lots of cheap shots and impossible to avoid attacks. The first half was comparatively a breeze, but once i got to Proto Man's fortress, all the bullshit started piling up fast. My least favorite of the sequels. Still better than 1 though.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Link to Main Post

I got really behind on updating so I am not going to put the pictures or blurbs in anymore, will have to do better next year but.....

Game 22. Contra ★★★ 1.5 Hours (June 8th) - NES

Game 23. Call of Duty Advanced Warfare ★★★ 7 Hours (June 8th - June 9th) - Xbox One

Game 24. Horizon Zero Dawn ★★★★★ 45 Hours (June 13th to July 20th) - PS4

Game 25. Chroma Squad ★★★★ 10 Hours (July 24 to July 25) - PC

Game 26. Limbo ★★★★ 4 Hours (July 26) - PC

Game 27. Battle Chief Brigade ★★★★ 10 Hours (July 26 to July 28) - PC

Game 28. Owlboy ★★★★ 8 Hours (July 29 to August 2) - PC

Game 29. Call of Duty Infinite Warfare ★★★★ 9.5 Hours (August 3 to August 4) - Xbox One

Game 30. Uncharted: Drake's Fortune ★★★★ 6.5 Hours (August 8 to August 10) - PS4

Game 31. Castlevania ★★★ 4 Hours (August 11 to August 14) - NES

Game 32. Kirby's Dream Land ★★★★ 1 Hour (August 16) - Wii

Game 33. Uncharted 2: Among Thieves ★★★★★ 9 Hours (August 11 to August 16) - PS4

Game 34. Kirby's Adventure ★★★★★ 4 Hours (August 17 to August 20) - Wii

Game 35. Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception ★★★★ 6.5 Hours(August 17 to August 23) - PS4

Game 36. Kirby's Dream Land 2 ★★★ 4 Hours (August 21 to August 25) - Wii

Game 37. Kirby: Super Star Ultra ★★★★ 6 Hours (August 26 to August 30) - DS

Game 38. Pokemon Omega Ruby ★★★★ 29 Hours (August 27 to September 14) - 3DS

Game 39. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End ★★★★★ 16 Hours (September 15 to October 1) - PS4
Game 40. Gears of War 4 ★★★★ 12 Hours (October 10 to October 20) - Xbox One

Game 41. Final Fantasy VI ★★★★★ 47 Hours (August 1 to October 22) - SNES

Game 42. Pokemon Leaf Green ★★★★ 30 Hours (October 1 to October 25) - GBA

Game 43. Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time 3D ★★★★ 30 Hours (January 1 to November 20) - 3DS

Game 44. Middle Earth: Shadow of War ★★★ 28 Hours (October 23 to November 22) - PS4

Game 45. NHL 18 ★★★ 50 Hours (March 3 to November 24) - PS4

Game 46. Kirby's Dreamland 3 ★★ 4 Hours (August 30 to November 11) -Wii

Game 47. Pokemon Soul Silver ★★★★ 34.5 Hours (October 26 to December 2)

Game 48. Monument Valley ★★★★ 2 Hours (December 6)

Game 49. Manual Samuel ★★★ 2 Hours (December 9)

Game 50. South Park: The Fractured But Whole ★★★★ 21 Hours (November 26 to December 12) - PS4

Game 51. Tacoma ★★★★ 3 Hours (December 16) - PC

Game 52. Kirby 64 ★★ 5 Hours (December 16 to December 23) - Wii

I did it! Sadly I ended on what was probably the worst game I played all year

Oct 26, 2017
Belarus
Main Post part 3

-------

73. On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness, Episode One - 5 hours
A very repetitive and linear RPG game with turn-based combat. Story and setting are interesting, some jokes were genuinely funny, but this game is so inconsistent I really can't recommend it to anyone. There's a lot of backtracking with constant "what the hell am I suppose to do next" moments, combat is kinda unique but gets boring really fast, and there are even shitty flash minigames that you need to complete few times each to progress the story. It's not worth full price, and since developers seemingly forgot about its existence then you shouldn't bother about it either. I'm still want to complete at least the second episode, but I'm not sure about the whole series.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I heard that people didn't know there is an Era Backlog/Challenge Discord so here I am to invite you all to it! Come talk about your plans for next year, brag about your new template plans and/or just chat with great people about everything and nothing :D

I never really used Discord. I think i have an account but i'm not sure lol

Edit: yep i did. Just joined though i'm not sure how active i'll be anyway

Last edited:

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
header.jpg

Game #64 - Gris
Time: 4 hours

I was a huge fan of both Journey and abzu so naturally I was very excited to play Gris, and not only did it not disapoint, but I feel it's the strongest of its "genre" and just an amazing game overall, one that I could easily see be my GOTY. An absolute visual masterpiece, with fantastic soundtrack and actual good gameplay that isnt just go from point a to b and look at the pretty scenery, Gris is close to a perfect videogame as I can imagine. Gorgeous, emotional, just a wonderful journey (no pun intended) from start to end, it never overstays its welcome nor does it feel too short for its own good (like Abzu did unfortunately). One of my favorite games in years, everyone should play it, just fantastic.

Main Post

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

98. The Room Three / 5h20 - completed 25.12.18

nexus2cee_1.jpg

For the series' third entry, Fireproof Games went all out and crafted a veritable puzzler masterpiece. it's the most complex and rich game of the three by far, and a really great ending to the trilogy. It has four different endings and some of the best puzzles in the series. Instead of the sequential levels of its predecessors, this time around we get an interconnected world, where everything works together. Its eldritch horrors finally come to the fore and things wrap up pretty satisfyingly, depending on what ending you get. Fantastic.

99. Mega Man 6 / 3h30 - completed 27.12.18

latest

Mega Man 6 is a terrific ending to the NES run, with some of my favorite bosses and weapons, although the levels are a bit on the simplistic side after the last two games. It's also much easier than the last one, thankfully. Really glad i finally gave this series its due after years of procrastination. What a joy these games are.

Micro

Oct 28, 2017
Love looking through this thread. I've been keeping track of games and giving them a score out of ten for a couple years now. At 50 games this year, I'm going to rush through some things before the year ends.

I'll just say that Halo 3 is my only 10/10 this year, and Hour of VIctory is a solid 1.5/10 at the bottom of the list.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
Either update my post and finish with 47 games, given I have two games that are almost beaten (Bayonetta) and short (GRIS), or accept my failure standing at 45 games, have a headstart for the 2019 thread and complete those games only in a few days! ;)

Last edited: