• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

orthodoxy1095

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Main Post

sXoFztH.png

6. Creatures Such as We (iOS) - Jan. 12 - Roughly an hour

I've played my fair share of the Choice of Games' text-adventures, and in particular I rather enjoyed the Heroes Rise trilogy when I played through it a few years ago. The Heroes Rise trilogy were a pretty neat little set of games where you got to create your own superhero, pick your powers and even had stats to worry about.

This game though? Uh....not so good. I'm always one of the first to say that VN/text-adventure style games are truly games, but Creatures Such as We stretches the limitations of that label pretty far. What we end up with here is a meta-commentary about choices in games, mixed with themes about game design, artistic expression, corporate control and workplace bias...and none of it really lands. Don't get me wrong, I think those are great topics to approach in games, and gaming would be better for having more writers boldly sharing diverse experiences on those topics. But you cannot really do justice to so many topics in an hour to two hour game. Or maybe you can, but this game certainly doesn't do it. All this ends up feeling like is Baby's First Progressive Game where someone threw the kitchen sink into the ChoiceScript programming language and hoped it stuck.

Meh.

Should I play Creatures Such as We? I mean, it's free on the App Store, so I guess there's really no cost involved other than your time. But I wouldn't bother honestly. Try Heroes Rise if you're going to play a Choice of Games product.

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
Main post

3. Oxenfree (01/19) [PS4]
- Three playthroughs, Platinum trophy. Had decent music, story was OK. The pacing of the game felt a little slow sometimes, like there was too much backtracking. Not a game I would recommend personally as there really wasn't much gameplay, but I didn't dislike it.

Playing Cat Quest next. Bought in the EU PSN sale.

Dernhelm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
My original post

Tales-of-Berseria.01_110716.jpg

4: 'Tales of Berseria' by Bandai Namco Entertainment (PS4) (19/01/18)
This and my number 5 are already two of the many LTTP games I'm sure are gonna litter my backlog for years, such was some of the quality being made recently. Having missed out on the chance to enjoy it last year, I'm surprised by just how fantastic a JRPG this is, and someone who is at times apprehensive of 'Tales' based on the reputation of some games, I found the character development - literally all of them are diamonds to me, overall story, most character designs, and skits one of the funnest RPG games I played in a few years. Arguably my favourite party in a long time, and I'm not even that big a critic of the Phantom Thieves. The soundtrack is kinda lacklustre unfortunately, dungeon design was generic, and whilst I got into the rhythm of the combat, it was a hot mess from minute 1 until the end, with only Eleanor having anywhere near enough going on to keep me from blasting through the whole game with Velvet and that broken R2.

Also, I know that banner isn't the official one, but given it's the first that comes up when I search for one with these size measurements, I couldn't resist - Magilou is fantastic.

Completed: 4/52

To be completed:

The Mummy: Demastered (Switch)
L.A. Noire (Switch)
Mr. Shifty (Switch)
Okami HD(PS4)
The Legend of Zelda (3DS VC)

rahji

Oct 25, 2017
2. Super Mario 64 DS finished at 1/19/2018 Time: I am not sure, maybe 10 or 12 hours?

220px-Super_Mario_64_DS_Coverart.png

I actually wanted to get all 150 stars but I moved on when I had to play Rainbow Frenzy. I really hate that level because it requires precise jumping while fighting the camera because of the moving carpets. I finished one star to show that I was there in the level and then moved straight to Bowser. So I finished the game with 139 stars and I enjoyed it a lot. The 4 characters are nice, some stars are new, it still feels amazing to move freely and combine moves. It was definitly a good decision to refreseh my memory on this classic game. The controls feel a bit clunky at times, but I can forgive that.

Last edited:

Dazraell

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Poland
My 2017 Post
My 2018 Post - Part 1 (#01 - #35)
My 2018 Post - Part 2 (#36 - #57)

Completed in 2018:

header.jpg

1. Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus

Platform: PC (Steam) | Time played: 20 hours | Beaten in January
I was really impressed with the story, character development and the overall direction of the game. The New Colossus felt like a major improvement in a lot of ways. Sadly it also made a few steps back in regards to The New Order, which in my opinion felt a little bit more cohesive and stronger.

header.jpg

2. Doki Doki Literature Club

Platform: PC (Steam) | Time played: 5 hours | Beaten in January
This is one of the weirdest and most disturbing games I've played in years. But in the good way. It really does a good job with presenting a game as something completely different at first sight and then throw all of it to do a massive shift in an unexpected direction. It was so clever, unique and creepy at a same time.

header.jpg

3. Finding Paradise

Platform: PC (Steam) | Time played: 6 hours | Beaten in January
I've played through all prievious entries in 2017 (To The Moon, Sigmund Corporation Minisodes and A Bird Story). Really enjoyed this world, the stories told in each of installments and obviously, the characters. Finding Paradise is a very fun and memorable experience in it's own unique way. The story of a new patient was equally interesting and touching.

header.jpg

4. Call of Duty: World at War
Platform: PC (Steam) | Time played: 5 hours | Beaten in January
With the recent return of CoD to World War II, I thought it would be a good opportunity to see how it holds up after 10 years of its launch. Treyarch really tried to follow Modern Warfare formula and translate it into the WWII setting. The final effect is, no pun intended, hit and miss - WaW feels very uneven. Sometimes it has moments of sheer brilliance, but it also has moments that feels dull and uninspiring. US campaign had a lot of cool ideas (unconventional enemies, flamethrower as a weapon, mission on a plane) but it is suprisingly mediocre. Soviet campaign on the other hand was something else entirely. The scope, atmosphere, that amazing final mission in Reichstag and a fantastic performance of Gary Oldman as Reznov. Shame that the US campaign is not even half that good.

ttwvbtr.jpg

5. flOw
Platform: PS4 | Time played: 1,5 hours | Beaten in January
There is not too much to say. flOw is very short (I finished it twice in a row in about a hour and a half). It's basically a reinvented version of Snake - simple, stylish and very relaxing at the same time.

header.jpg

6. Life is Strange: Before the Storm
Platform: PC (Steam) | Time played: 12 hours | 3 episodes | Beaten in January
I originally thought that this prequel was completely unnecessary. New developers, new voice-actress for Chloe, same setting - everything just screamed that it may be a cash grab. I'm glad to say that I was wrong. Deck Nine did an outstanding job with Before the Storm. They clearly wanted to create something special and they delivered. I really enjoyed how they fleshed out Chloe as a character, made her more relatable and the way they showed her relationship with Rachel. It is truely memorable game that lives up to original Life is Strange in every way.

wfHuBCH.jpg

7. Mortal Kombat XL
Platform: PS4 | Time played: 12 hours | Beaten in January
It was okay, I guess. There is a lot of improvement over MK9, but NetherRealm also went a few steps back at a same time. While I liked most of new gameplay additions (like different fighting styles, interactive environments, variety of Towers, new Krypt etc), but I was never a fan of games using "a next generation of heroes" trope. But to be honest, most of new characters were actually cool addition to the roster. Story mode was dissapointing, though. It felt much more weaker than campaign from MK9. What looked like a good effort, ultimately ended up as a dissapointment. Campaign is also very short, finished it in about 4-5 hours.

header.jpg

8. Corpo Tale

Platform: PC (Steam) | Time played: 4 hours | Beaten in January
I wouldn't be suprised if you never heard about this game before. There is a good reason, it's only available in my native language (Polish). Corpo Tale looks like just another jRPG created in RPGMaker. But it's not. The game is set in modern times... within a Polish company. The story is about an regular QA guy and his not so regular Monday. Really enjoyed this specific type of dark humor that you'll only understand if you worked in corporation, especially in Poland. It wasn't a long experience, but as a fellow "corpo-guy", I had a blast with this wacky tale.

WGPbTSu.jpg

9. Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor
Platform: PS4 | Time played: 20 hours | Beaten in January | Platinum Trophy
When Shadow of War was announced last year, I was so hyped that I bought Shadow of Mordor GOTY to be up to date with the story. Then the lootbox controversy happened and any hype I had was completely gone. Never bought Shadow of War. Ended up with a copy of a first game, so I decided to give it a try. Shadow of Mordor feels just like another modern collectathon open world game, but it is an enjoyable experience. Monolith avoided usual trope with content that never felt too bloated. The main star of this game is the Nemesis System. It's unique and interesting, weirdly enough never really explored beyond Middle-Earth series. I liked the gameplay, variety of side-activities and taking the odds against more powerful captains or warchiefs to the point I even unlocked the Platinum trophy. Everything gets too easy in the second half. Story was dissapointing, a final mission was so weak and uninspired. It's sad to say that "weak" and "uninspired" is also a common trope for both of the DLCs.

EqT620F.jpg

10. Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor - Lord of the Hunt (DLC)
Platform: PS4 | Time played: 3 hours | Beaten in January
There is one word that can describe this - dissapointment. It was supposed to continue Tallion's story, but DLC is basically rehash of the main game with some minor improvements. Lord of the Hunt doesn't include any major story missions with cutscenes, everything is purely gameplay related. There are two types of missions - first are with Torvin where he introduce player to new features and the second type is usual killing warchiefs. I liked the whole concept of replacing Warchiefs for Beastmasters, where every leader has some backstory tied to the local beasts in Mordor. That said, Lord of the Hunt had much more potential that was wasted by the developers.

16xXJRc.jpg

11. Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor - The Bright Lord (DLC)
Platform: PS4 | Time played: 3 hours | Beaten in January
Oh man... Talk about wasted opportunity. When I saw that a second DLC is about Celebrimbor, I thought it will be used as a way to expand his story that was briefly shown in flashbacks. This is NOT a case. The Bright Lord is.... well, exactly the same as Lord of the Hunt. But with spiked difficulty, less responsive character movement and slightly reskinned Udun. There are only two cutscenes. Both were taken directly from the base game. The rest is usual hunt for Warchiefs. Final fight is a little improvement over Shadow of Mordor, but still...

header.jpg

12. Secret Files: Sam Peters
Platform: PC (Steam) | Time played: 1,5 hours | Beaten in February
I don't know why this was released as a standalone game. Looks like the developers had an idea for a spin-off about a character from Secret Files 2, but were completely clueless about a direction they wanted to take. Sam Peters doesn't really feel like a proper Secret Files game, more like a missing levels that stayed on the cutting room floor during development of Puritas Cordis. Puzzles were quite cool (there is something nostalgic about abstract puzzles that requires taking a ladder to your backpack), but production values were clearly at lowest point. It didn't helped that a titular protagonist is not even half as likeable as Nina from a main series.

header.jpg

13. Secret Files 3
Platform: PC (Steam) | Time played: 5 hours | Beaten in February
This game was sitting in my backlog for years, so I decided that maybe it's a good time to finally finish Nina Kalenkov's story. Secret Files: Tunguska is one of my favourite games in the genre, beside classics like Monkey Island, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, Runaway: A Road Adventure or The Longest Journey. Puritas Cordis wasn't that good, but as a sequel it was a quite enjoyable experience. Secret Files 3 is... Well, just ok. I liked the mystery, but a lot of twists felt very rushed and unnecessary. Loved the outtakes in after credits scene. Sadly, the game is not a worthy conclusion to the trilogy. What is worth, it's not as bad as Sam Peters spin-off.

gjrssQo.jpg

14. Battlefield Hardline
Platform: PS4 | Time played: 8 hours | Beaten in February
I've heard a lot of bad stuff about this, but it actually has a very solid campaign. Visceral had a lot of cool ideas for Hardline. Loved the episodic structure, bigger focus on stealth, gameplay and level variety and the whole premise. Hardline really feels like a proper singleplayer campaign, not a stealth tutorial for multiplayer like Motive's Battlefront II. Unfortunately, I had some issues. They actually came not from the gameplay or the story, but from unmemorable characters and awful dialogues. Liked the second half of the campaign, though. Overall, Hardline seems like a genuinely good effort. It's a shame that EA decided to sent the studio on the chopping block.

XBpAYEd.jpg

15. Pokémon Platinum
Platform: 3DS | Time played: 43 hours | Beaten in February
Platinum is the third, so called "definitive" version of Pokémon Diamond and Pearl. I was very impressed with 4th generation, liked it more than Ruby/Sapphire. What is really interesting that 4th gen introduced a lot of gameplay mechanics that stayed in this series up to the most recent games. Enjoyed the journey, gym leaders, encounters and exploring Sinnoh itself. Story was okay, but nothing special. Platinum is not my favourite Pokémon game (that would be X&Y), but as a whole it was very fun entry in the series.

header.jpg

16. Grim Fandango Remastered
Platform: PS4 | Time played: 10 hours | Beaten in February
I've always been a big fan of LucasArts classic adventure games, but weirdly enough never got opportunity to play Grim Fandango. I've finally corrected that, heh, deadly mistake. Grim Fandango is quite unique with it's one of a kind setting and amazing style that combines Mexican folklore, Art Deco and Aztecs beliefs of the underworld. LucasArts created a brilliant game with well-rounded, memorable characters and a really good story with writing that is simply fantastic. The unique artstyle still holds up to this date. What is suprising, the gameplay feels very different from prievious LucasArts games. It's not hard to get used to, though. Needless to say, beside a few really annoying puzzles I had a blast with Manny's four-year journey in the Eighth Underworld.

header.jpg

17. Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare
Platform: PS4 | Time played: 8 hours | Beaten in February
Well, that was suprising. I've heard some positive things about Infinite Warfare, but never expected to play the best Call of Duty campaign up to date. Infinite Warfare really shines with it's worldbuilding, missions and characters. There's even a few cool side-missions that feels very substantial to the main plot and quite a lot variety in gameplay. I really recommend trying this. Infinite Warfare may have the most generic title even for Call of Duty standards, but the campaign is really good.

header.jpg

18. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Remastered
Platform: PS4 | Time played: 7 hours | Beaten in February
Considering how much I liked Infinite Warfare, I decided to play the other critically acclaimed Call of Duty campaign. That game happened to be part of the same package. What really pissed me off just at the start was a prompt that required inserting Infinite Warfare disc. I don't know who at Activision decided about limiting MWR to IW copies, but this requirement is one of the dumbest things I've seen in a while. Let's talk about the game itself. Modern Warfare Remastered is closer to current day standards than ever. Campaign looks prettier, sharper and still retains the same feeling of importance on the shape of the FPS genre. Raven Software done a fine job with remastering the cult classic and stayed faithful to the source material. It's a solid game that had interesting story, characters and highly memorable missions. It was a nice feeling to revisit this after a decade.

vPSuTvL.jpg

19. Layton's Mystery Journey: Katrielle and the Millionaires' Conspiracy
Platform: 3DS | Time played: 21 hours | Beaten in February
Layton's Mystery Journey is a soft reboot of Professor Layton series with a new protagonist, a little bit different structure, but with a familiar gameplay. I only played Professor Layton prequel trilogy so far, but I enjoyed visiting places like Misthallery, Monte Dor or a trip around the world in Azran Legacy. This time the story is set almost entirely in London. I really appreciate Level-5 efforts to reduce backtracking, which was one of the biggest issues I had with prievious entries. Not everything is fine and dandy, though. It's obvious that LMJ was designed for younger audience in mind. Puzzles are very easy. I must admit that some of the cases were really creative, like the one with missing pet. Katrielle is an interesting character, but she lacks her father's charisma and presensce. She's not stealing the show like the Professor tend to do in his games. That said, I really liked new trio of characters and their dynamic, especially constant squabbles between Kat and Sherl.

qFWuID8.jpg

20. Life is Strange: Before the Storm - Farewell (DLC)
Platform: PC (Steam) | Time played: 1 hour | Beaten in March
Life is Strange: Before the Storm was a delightful surprise, Deck Nine crafted an amazing game that is worthy additon to Life is Strange franchise. Farewell is a fourth, bonus episode that provides a nice closure for Max and Chloe. It's a goodbye that wasn't present in the original Life is Strange finale. If you think about it, it's quite fitting. Doing a proper send-off to this characters in a form of a story that essentially was a beginning of Chloe's downfall. Entire game was quite a ride.

3oQrUkG.jpg

21. Golf Story
Platform: Switch | Time played: 20 hours | Beaten in March
It's such a brilliant game. Golf Story is something I never expected could actually work, but here we are. Sidebar Games created a very compelling RPG that has it's own distinctive style. Story picked my interest from the beginning, I genuinely wanted to experience this journey of a Rookie to a Pro. I loved the cast of characters. Devs done a good job with showing growing bond of friendship and rivalry that progressed during the main story. Gameplay is just amazing. There is a quite variety of side-quests to do, some of them are very creative. I've played some golf games in the past, but I never had so much fun like with this game. If you own Switch, Golf Story is a must have.

fPK7XVS.jpg

22. Shadow of the Colossus
Platform: PS4 | Time played: 6 hours | Beaten in March
I remember playing this on PlayStation 2, but I didn't got to the end. Can't remember why. Probably stomped on one of the Colossi, got bored and found something else to play. I wouldn't be suprised if that was the case, because I was terrible at finishing games. Recent remake is a good opportunity to finally correct that mistake. What I loved about Shadow of the Colossus is it's minimalism. There is no bloated dungeons, fights with mobs, busywork related to complete activities in order to progress. Everything is self-explained. Wander has a set of tools and skills that you can use, there is 16 Colossi that you need to defeat. That's really all and it's just perfect this way. Bluepoint done an outstanding job with restoring this game. They've done it in a way that it looks more modern, but is still very faithful and respectful to the original.

header.jpg

23. Assassin's Creed
Platform: PC (Steam) | Time played: 17 hours | Beaten in March
I wanted to revisit few games in Assassin's Creed series before I'll finally dive into Origins. What game is the best if not the one that started it all? It's good, old Assassin's Creed with all of it's pros, cons and some extra issues I didn't expected. AC1 has a native support for X360 controller, but it didn't show prompts related to a controller, which is confusing and really annoying. Buttons didn't matched the original layout, so I was forced to spent some time on fixing an issue that shouldn't be present in a first place... Anyway, Director's Cut added new mission types that were supposed to add more variety on gathering intel about a target. It didn't made a significant difference, this is still very boring and repetitive process that dragged the pace. Sequences with assassinations were a highlight and that still haven't changed. AC1 is a good game, but has a lot of issues. Luckily, the next games improved upon these flaws.

header.jpg

24. Call of Duty: Ghosts
Platform: PC (Steam) | Time played: 5 hours | Beaten in March
I've played a few Call of Duty's this year and out of these games, Ghosts has the weakest campaign. The only thing I liked was level design. Ghosts has a lot of cool set pieces like post-apocalyptic LA, skyscrapers in Caracas, underwater and space levels, etc. It didn't saved the game, though. Campaign itself is really boring. Characters are uninteresting and unmemorable, even a dog could be more developed. Riley appeared only during a few missions. Main villain was dissapointing, just like titular elite group of Ghosts. Story had a lot of stupid twists, final cliffhanger was just ridiculous. Ghosts had a lot of potential, but it is a wasted opportunity.

header.jpg

25. Batman: The Enemy Within

Platform: PC (Steam) | Time played: 9 hours | 5 episodes | Beaten in March | 100% Completion
When I've played a first season of Batman: The Telltale Series, I was very dissapointed with most of "Telltale-ified" incarnations of Batman characters (beside Bruce, Catwoman and Joker). This time they've done much better job with a cast of characters and villains. It's one of the most compelling stories about Batman and Joker we had in years. Entire arc of John Doe and his relationship with both Batman and Bruce Wayne was fantastic. Telltale's Joker has this weirdness and menacing that perfectly encapsulates The Clown Prince of Crime. What I can say without a doubt, The Enemy Within is among the best seasons Telltale Games ever produced. I hope they will continue this series in the future.

header.jpg

26. Emily is Away
Platform: PC (Steam) | Time played: 30 minutes | Beaten in April
It's a really short game. But surprisingly deep, with a very unique way of storytelling. Emily is Away is based around idea of chatting with titular Emily, your friend from high school on instant message communicator we all used in early 2000s. I have so many fond memories of chatting with friends on a similar communicator, in my country it was knowned as Gadu-Gadu. I made choices that ended up in a surprisingly similar experience I got in real life. Seriously... That said, it's one of the best free games on Steam. If you got an hour, just try it. You won't be dissapointed.

header.jpg

27. Emily is Away Too
Platform: PC (Steam) | Time played: 4 hours | Beaten in April
When I finished playing Emily is Away, I immediately bought the sequel. Emily is Away Too is a new story, this time with two different characters. They really done a good job with capturing both Emily and Evelyn personalities, talks with them felt very real. This time I got a good ending. I really liked a lot of new additions to gameplay like visiting fake Facebook profiles, downloading attachments sent by Milly or Evelyn, listening to YouTube clips, etc. It is a really good spiritual successor with a lot of branching in a narrative. I finished it two times on both paths.

header.jpg

28. Assassin's Creed II | The Ezio Collection
Platform: PS4 | Time played: 27 hours | Beaten in April | Platinum Trophy
Assassin's Creed II is one of the best entries in this franchise. The journey of Ezio from a cocky teenager to a seasoned assassin was one of my favorite Assassin's Creed stories, well beside the story of Edward Kenway in AC IV: Black Flag. AC II improved almost every flaw of the original Assassin's Creed and went in a much better, more focused direction. It was a massive leap from the first game. I've played the game with both DLCs. They're nothing special, but I liked how well they were integrated into a base game. I also unlocked a Platinum trophy. Damn you, renaissance feathers...

header.jpg

29. Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood | The Ezio Collection
Platform: PS4 | Time played: 21 hours | Beaten in April
Brotherhood is a nice extension of Assassin's Creed II. Sadly, story isn't that impactful as a previous game. I liked the direction they took in a present storyline. I also loved how Ezio's story picks up literally minutes after the events of AC2. There is a lot of improvement in the formula, but it's not a same leap as we had from AC1 to AC2. Rome is a fantastic place for a setting, though. A one that I wouldn't mind to explore again, but in more earlier times - during rise of Julius Caesar empire.

Copernicus Conspiracy (DLC)
That was dissapointing. Nicolaus Copernicus (or Mikołaj Kopernik) is one of the most famous Poles, so I was intrigued to play missions that were related to his character. Sadly, Copernicus Conspiracy missions are limited and boring. It's basically series of fetch quests where you need to deliver some letters or assassinate targets. That's really all.

The Da Vinci Disappearance (DLC)
It's much better than Copernicus Conspiracy. Heck, it's even better than both AC2 DLCs. The Da Vinci Disappearance had more production values and it's clearly visible. This is an additional adventure that has a lot of fun scenarios, lot of interaction with favorite characters and really good set pieces. Especially loved mission set in Lucretia's mansion and inside the final tomb.

header.jpg

Assassin's Creed: Revelations | The Ezio Collection
Platform: PS4 | Time played: 14 hours | Beaten in June
It's funny. When I've played Revelations all those years ago, I thought it was weaker than Brotherhood. Well, after replaying entire Ezio trilogy back to back I actually may reconsider what I said in the past. Revelations definitely has some weaker parts (especially Desmond's Journey and annyoing tower defence segments), but it also had more interesting story, characters and more memorable missions. What also suprised me, Revelations seems to be more tighter and focused experience. I really liked assassins missions and new tomb missions, especially how well they were integrated into a main storyline. It's a shame that Revelations is much shorter than Brotherhood. Ending was amazing, though.

ySy4HrA.jpg

31. God of War III Remastered
Platform: PS4 | Time played: 8 hours | Beaten in June
I can't fathom why Sony decided to remaster only this one on PS4. God of War III is sadly the weakest game in the entire trilogy. Santa Monica Studio got the scope right, but the game itself feels very lacking, especially in terms of story. They clearly wasted the opportunity that was presented after that cliffhanger at the end of God of War II. It could be done much better than it was. Nevertheless, replaying this game was a good way to remind how angry and full of rage Kratos was in his prime days. I really liked the stuff that was unlocked after beating the campaign, especially the lengthy documentary about God of War III development from it's early beginnings to a game launch. So... I'm finally ready to play the next one. Hopefully I will be dazed and amazed like most of the folks here on Era.

w3HuAwg.jpg

32. Pokémon Go
Platform: Mobile (Android) | Time played: Ongoing
I completely missed the hype when Pokémon Go was originally released. Catched up thanks to my friends who were constantly bugging me to play it. Recently I've went through some major life changes and started being more active, walking included, so I've decided to take a look at this game during my daily walks. It was a good decision, I really liked it. It's a unique experience based on a fantastic idea.

MJVskl9.jpg

33. The Awesome Adventures of Captain Spirit
Platform: PC (Steam) | Time played: 2 hours | Beaten in June
I've said multiple times that I really liked Life is Strange series. Before the Storm was an amazing extension of the first game. Captain Spirit is a smaller adventure in a similar tone to a Farewell DLC. It's basicaly a short story about a young, lonely kid that also touched some very deep and emotional topics that are not that common in video games. Overall, Captain Spirit is a good game. Can't wait for Life is Strange 2.

header.jpg

34. Layers of Fear
Platform: PC (Steam) | Time played: 3 hours | Beaten in June
If I could be honest, I expected something better. It wasn't that bad, though. Layers of Fear is a walking sim that also happens to be a psychological horror. I've had a few jump scares here and there. Devs had a lot of cool ideas for this game. I liked how environments were constantly changing and how trippy the game got in a later chapters. There were few puzzles that really got me, especially the one with a code based on an animal. Solution to this puzzle was very creative.

mNg90Hc.jpg

35. God of War
Platform: PS4 | Time played: 30 hours | Beaten in July
Damn... I've heard so many praises about God of War, but I didn't belived that it's that good. Crazy thing is, it's true. God of War is really that good. Santa Monica Studio reinvigorated the franchise in a new direction without sacrificing it's familiarity. There were so many things that impressed me - interesting story, relationship between Kratos and Atreus, oustanding design, combat, a lot of optional content to do beside a main story, etc. Kratos and Atreus journey was an amazing experience that kept me interested to it's very end. God of War is not only a very strong contender for Game of the Year title, but one of the best exclusives on PS4.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
4. PaRappa the Rapper (PS4) - 01/19/18 - 2.5 hours

jDCBNLP.png

Might be hard to believe given my avatar, but before today I'd never completed PaRappa. I'd watched the game, I'd played demos of it, and I always liked the character design, but I hadn't played the game. Picked it up tonight during the flash sale and had a really good time. Obviously I'd have liked it to be a little longer, or maybe a little more challenging as that time is how long it took me to totally platinum the game, but it's a very charming game nonetheless.

8.0; Really friendly and fun rhythm game. If length is a concern hit up that PSN Flash sale cause it's only $5.

SnowCrow

Oct 25, 2017
Main post

iMegjYZ.jpg

Game #2 - Doki Doki Literature Club ★★★★★
Jan 19th - 4 hours

After spending months seeing people just gush about this game and how good it is, I had to finally try it out.
Even with all those expectations in place, it managed to surpass them.

I've seen some other people's comments about it in this thread and some seemed rather passive about it though. I suppose having played dozens of Visual Novels before, I really appreciated how innovative this one tried to be.

It's best experienced going in knowing nothing. It's also free.

I was a bit worried jumping in to this having seen the warnings, since I am going through depression and all that. I actually ended up relating to one of the characters even. I think it helped me out though, weirdly enough.

Deleted member 15476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
5. (Switch) Super Meat Boy 19/1/2018 | ★★★★★ | 7h
A game that I had left unfinished on PC for long time now, found the mood to finish it on the Switch in one long session. It holds up very well till this day, but lacks the impact it could have if it was played back in 2010. Obviously didn't 100% it, just finished the main story.
Original Post: https://www.resetera.com/threads/52-games-1-year-2018.13773/page-7#post-2980658

LonestarZues

Oct 27, 2017
https://www.resetera.com/posts/3243362

6. Stories: The Path of Destinies - PS4 - 1/20 - 10 hours: Was slowly playing this game this month as not to get tired of the repetitive combat and replaying levels to get all the endings and just couldn't. Got to 12 endings and called it. Not a bad game and I should've stopped after the true ending might've scored it a bit higher at that point. 6/10

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
Belarus
Main Post part 1

-------

8. X-Blades - 5 hours
Devil May Cry clone, made by people who never played DMC. Can't say this for sure, but it feels like developers knew about DMC only by reviews and gameplay videos. So many design fails, everything in this game is so frustrating and not fun, but it managed to stay on that "below average" level and not completely unplayable. It's not worth it anyway, even for big DMC fans, don't waste your time on it, this game have nothing to offer you outside boring gameplay and non-existent story that ends like shit.

Oct 26, 2017
Belarus
Main Post part 1

-------

9. Crysis - 7 hours
Another day, another 2007 game with shity ending, first Kane & Lynch, than X-Blades, now even a goddamn Crysis caught me of the guard and ended abruptly. I mean, this scene on aircraft carrier with huge alien, that was shown on countless gaming expos like E3 and pre-Gamescom events, was the ending all this time? Yeah, it's not ACTUAL ending, there is one more shit before credits roll, but still, it feels like they've spoiled entire game before release except episode in alien ship. This dumb cliffhanger sucks too, now i'm starting to remember that Crysis Warhead was like reading book from last chapters (yeah, i've played Warhead but not Crysis, don't ask me who the hell that happened). Game is also a mixed bag, i can't say it's terrible but at the same time i'm not impressed, even by graphics, even on ultra settings it didn't looked like those bullshots from magazines. Gameplay is meh, both first (partial openworld with koreans) and second (typical linear story driven AAA shooter with aliens) half were kinda undercooked, first hours was boring because there was too much running around empty jungles and overpowered and way too smart koreans, but last hours was boring because it was way too linear and aliens are dumb and easy to kill. So, i really don't know what to do, recommend or not recommend this game to anyone, i'll guess i just uninstall it and forget about it existence.

Tambini

Oct 25, 2017
#4 Killzone 6 PS2 - January 20th - 8.30 hours
This game is not as bad as I thought it might be, which I know isn't a great compliment but I had fun with it. The first impressions are poor but it gets better as it goes on. The story and characters I actually liked, the four characters you can choose each have differences which make the levels play out slightly different depending on who you choose, the graphics and sound are good, and once you realise to adopt a slower pace, the gameplay isn't too bad at all. The frustrations come from the awful frame rate, the PS2 just can't handle this game, and the later levels which end up just throwing wave after wave of bullet sponge enemies with few health packs in sight. I wish I had played the PS3 version as that has a much better frame rate.

Last edited:

laoni

Oct 25, 2017
Main Post

d88e05dd-s.jpg

7. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (1/20/18, 90hrs)

This game... This game is like, the video game equivalent of hate fucking, to me. A lot about this game pisses me off. The designs, the art style clashes, the undercutting of the main game message, the combat system... There's a lot that merely just annoys me, stabiity/performance issues, having to swap blades for skill checks, merc missions not ticking when in Sleep Mode, gatcha blades. But, there's also a lot I really really loved. Chapters 7-10 were really really good. The main lessons the story wanted to teach I feel are really important for everyone to experience, and I loved the characters it used to teach them (Except Tora). I enjoy affinity charts and merc missions, and shop ownership and development levels. I love it and I hate it, all at once, and I think I need a bit of time to sort that all out before I go back and start grinding for blades and doing their unique quests.

Oct 25, 2017
1botw.png

It only took about a year. Brilliant. Read More Here

2pokemon-as.png

The first Pokemon game I have finished since the oringals but, for all the improvements ended up just highlighting how far there is to go. Read More Here

3crash-hd.png

A nice trip down memory lane and one of the few games that is still as hard and infuriating as it was when I was a child

4celeste.png

I have never been so immediately enthralled by a game, and a platformer no less. One of the best looks at depression and anxiety. Top 10 material for sure.

5horizon.png

So, it took a while (had it since launch) but I finally finished and I really loved it. Aloy is a great character, the only reason this isn't 5 stars is because I took so long to complete it.

6cat-quest.png

A surprisingly quick RPG about cats fighting dragons. Unfortunately there is not much to it, lots of side quest to get stronger and then the game just kinda ends. fun in spurts, but not much else.

7gravity-rush.png

The remastered version of this game makes for quite the impression. Fun gravity mechanics and a just ridiculous enough anime style story push thought the simple combat for a hell of a ride.

8-Spider-Man.png

Unbelievable. Quite possibly the best adaptation of comic book character, let alone Spider-Man himself. Great action, fun side quests, easy and rewarding collectibles, plus a great main theme as well. I haven't felt this way about a story driven game in a long time. Bring on the Marvel Games Universe if this is the quality.

9assassins-rev.png

It felt unnecessary at the time and even more so now with the series being rebooted twice since. The PC version is broken in a couple of spots that make this just a forgettable entry in the Assassin's series.

10assassins-free.png

As a stand-alone piece it's shot and sweet but, the finicky controls and constant re-population of side content which is required to move forward, muddle the message and potential of the first Assassin's game to be about something more than Templar vs. Assassin's bullshit.

11assassins-rogue.png

Not much to say. Mostly a retread of Black Flag but with a winter theme and you play as a Templar. Not very interesting nor needed but it plays fine.

12florence.png

A beautiful little story about a romantic relationship, it plays with the phone perfectly showing that when given focus, phone games can impact just as much as big budget console games

13obra-dinn.png

The Papers, Please guy (Lucas Pope) made a game about being and insurance assessor, trying to slove what the hell happened on the good ship Obra Dinn. Don't look anything up just go buy it, I can't wait for Pope's next game in 5 years.

Currently Playing
Gravity Rush 2
Fallout 4
Kingdom Hearts 1 HD

Last edited:

Korranator

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
I'm little late but.........

2/52

Currently Playing:

Mario & Luigi Dream Team (3DS) -my primary focus right now
Thief Gold (PC) - play it once a week sometimes more
Heroes of Might & Magic V (PC) - play it once a week sometimes more
Baldur's Gate 2 (PC) - just messing around right now trying to finish other games before it becomes my main focus. I also, imported my character from BG1.

Recently Finished:

1. Invisible Inc. (PC)

Been wanting to play this one for a long time. I'm a huge fan of TBS, and this has high ratings and great reviews. The setting were a unique and a breath of fresh air compared to others of the same genre. The game play is tight and extremely well balanced, and has randomized elements making each play through unique. However, for my tastes the game is over rated. What I was expecting was a stealth base game that played like Xcom. What I got is a TBS/roguelike hybrid. There is simply too many things that happen in game that's based more on luck than skill. Including spawning of guards that instantly blow your cover and can possibly ruin the mission.

I finished one run, not sure if I will attempt a replay. Maybe.

3 1/2 stars. 7.6hrs

2. Borderlands 2 (PC)

Loved it. Great FPS loot game. I had problems putting this one down. It was always "just one more quest then I will stop", "ok let me just see the new area", etc. Only finished the vanilla game. Will probably, start the DLC soon-ish, and count the DLC as a game by itself.

4 1/2 stars. 58hrs

Last edited:

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
header.jpg

Game #27 - The Blackwell Epiphany
Time: 6 hours

Talk about going out with a bang, as the Blackwell series ends with it's fifth and arguably strongest title. Longer, better (and much darker) story than the previous games, it is a fitting end to this excellent point and click adventure saga, only marred by, while closing out the over-arching story of the series, not continuing the cliffhanger ending from the fourth game (there is a passing mention to those events but not much). Still, fantastic game and fantastic series. Dont miss these if you are a fan.

header.jpg

Game #28 - A Normal Lost Phone
Time: 1 hour

I am left very split on this game, as on one hand, I think it is very important, very sweet and needs to exist. There is some powerful stuff in here (that, while I can't relate to, I think it's great that a game puts it out there) and it's worth playing to experience it. On the other hand, the game itself isn't very good unfortunately. The few puzzles that there are are a bit cryptic and sometimes make little sense (one of the passwords in particular), and the execution is a little flawed. Not to mention that, while its a novel idea, you are basically pretending to be this person on this phone you found, which either nobody would do, or it would be very strange to do. Still, very cool subject and message (I am being vague for a reason), so it's worth it for that (especially since its quite short).

Main Post

Last edited:

Dernhelm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
My original post

mummy-header-420x215.jpg

5: 'The Mummy: Demastered' by WayForward (Switch) (21/01/18)
They impressed me immensely last year when I played Shantae, and they continued to impress me with this. This may be one of the best movie tie-in titles I've played purely because the development team just used a licence as an excuse to get all their pent-up Metroidvania urges out in one game. And that's what this is, a fantastic Metroidvania, with a fantastic little twist in how the player has to cope with the event in which their character dies - won't spoil it if there are any who haven't heard already. Visually a cool, grimy experience, the soundtrack is also overabundantly old-school creepy, though nothing remarkable. Boss fights were fine enough, but nothing that actually adds to the genre, as opposed to just celebrating it - which in truth is the biggest criticism about this game in general. A great couple of days spent beating this!

Completed: 5/52

To be completed:

The Fall (PS4)
L.A. Noire (Switch)
Mr. Shifty (Switch)
Okami HD(PS4)
The Legend of Zelda (3DS VC)[/QUOTE]

PC90

Enlightened
Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Original post

yju0rthpqd.png

2) Yakuza 5 (PS3, 59 hours and 48 minutes)
Far from my favourite Yakuza game, this game feels bloated in a way previous Yakuza games didn't. Having five different playable characters feels a bit much, especially Shinada I thought was maybe not necessary. On the other hand, I enjoyed Haruka's part a whole lot, even though it felt like I was playing an entirely different game at that point.

Currently playing:
Night in the Woods
Luxor HD
Trails Evolution: Gold Edition

Oct 26, 2017
Belarus
Main Post part 1

-------

10. RIP 2: Strike Back - 2 hours
I didn't expected much from this one, but surprisingly, it's much better than the original RIP, a lot more interesting and fun to play. Devs did a great job, and while looks visually identically to RIP 1, it have more variety and overall better balanced. It's not just stationary turret last man standing now, you can move around level and even pilot tank and helicopter, there is also bosses after each 10 levels. Overall, if you want something to play just for simple fun, this Crimsonland clone is the right choice, just skip RIP 1, original is not worth playing.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
GgISYLN.png

Game #29 - The Order 1886

Surprisingly decent third person shooter (at least given the horror stories I had heard) with amazing presentation makes this a enjoyable ride if you can find it cheap (and you can, it goes on sale all the time these days). In fact, I wonder how the game would have done if it had released at a budget price like Hellblade for example. It's completely competent, has some cool weapons, a fantastic setting
steampunk + werewolves + vampires
and like I said, my god does it look good. I couldnt tell if it was CGI at times to be honest. Voice acting is also good, and the story is ok-ish if very predictable, but they were clearly setting up a sequel that will never happen given how the game bombed. I would say its as enjoyable as any Call of Duty campaign for me, and I wish I could find the CoD campaigns as cheap as you can find The Order these days. I liked it, so /shrug on the haters I guess.

Main Post

Bond

Oct 27, 2017
London, UK
Main Post

Witcher_1.jpg

1: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (January 15th)

Xbox One X | Time Played: 104.55 hours | Rating: 9/10
I finally got around to beating one of the most acclaimed RPG's of all time, and it holds up to the hype. Quests are well structured, despite having laughable sword combat and leveling systems. CD Projekt Red knocked the open world elements out the park, with the attention to detail on another level. Geralt's journey delivered on the promises, with meaty dialogue and characters turning into a theatrical experience.

t9lQQdi.png

2: Super Mario Odyssey
Nintendo Switch | Time Played: 15 hours | Rating: 9/10
Started the little charmer at launch last year, but all my work commitments put it on hold, and Nintendo did not disappoint in reinventing the classic gameplay seen in Super Mario 64 with a new hat mechanic. The world design in Super Mario Odyssey is just immense, allowing to Mario interact with varied situations and use all his abilities to solve puzzles. All brilliant round installment in the series, and deserves to be given a sequel.

Deleted member 4852

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
7. Call of Duty WWll - Great set pieces with good gameplay. The story was just OK as it has every WWll movie cliche ever included in it.

watdaeff4

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Going for my 4th year in a row!

1. Crash Bandicoot Remaster (PS4)
Completed: 1/5/18
Time: 8 hours?
Rating: 8/10

This was my first time playing any Crash game. Thought it was a really good game that has held up well for being 20 years old. Some of the levels, esp the Bridge in the Sky levels, were very, very challenging. Can't wait to play the other two games later this year.

2. Hotline Miami (Vita)
Completed 1/6/18
Time: 5 hours?
Rating: 6/10

Heard a lot of good things about this game and thought it was an okay game, but nothing great. I feel a bit too much of the gameplay is trial-and-error in order to advance and that's a minor turn-off for me.

3. Alan Wake: American Nightmare (X360/XB1 BC)
Completed: 1/8/18
Time: 3 hours?

Was a big fan of Alan Wake and I enjoyed this as well. Remedy does a great job with the narrative of their games. Their gameplay mechanics are what holds up their games from receiving higher ratings (from me). Would still play Alan Wake 2 in a hot second if they ever did one.

4. Ultimate Capcom vs. Marvel 3 (PS4)
Completed: 1/10/18
Time: 4 hours

While it's not the deepest fighting game, it's damn fun and I'm still playing it. My biggest beef with the game, is the old-school tactic that the "Boss" in Arcade mode is super-cheap.

5. Battlefront 2 (Xbox1)
Completed: 1/20
Time: 15 hours

I thought the campaign of this game was great and really enjoyed the story along with it. I also enjoy playing the arcade missions as I'm avoiding the P2W aspects of the MP.

6. ARMS (Switch)
Completed: 1/20
TIme: 2 hours

Not a big fan of the game, one of my sons really likes it though so I have played with him off and on. I went through the Grand Prix yesterday and just thought the experience was okay overall, but nothing I'll revisit outside of playing with my kids.

7. Madden 18 (Xbox1)
Completed: 1/24
Time: 15 hours

I enjoy Madden games for the most part. The gameplay is nothing different than '16 (I skipped '17) really. One thing though is that I felt the AI in Franchise mode would be really cheap in games that I felt you were destined to lose. I saw some AI defense that made ridiculous INTs. That part was frustrating enough at times that it dampened my enjoyment of the game.

8. Yakuza 0 (PS4)
Completed: 2/1
Time: ~30 hours

I love organized crime/mafia movies so this was right up my alley. I really enjoyed the story...a lot. The core gameplay though was a bit mediocre in my opinion.

9. Forza Horizon 3: Blizzard Mountain (XBox1)
Completed: 2/4
Time: 4-5 hours
Rating: 9/10

I waited until this got the X update before playing it and holy shit I'm glad I did. This game is absolutely stunning now. I loved this expansion as just like with FH2 Storm Island I love the weather impacted rally races. I enjoyed this more than the Hot Wheels expansion and anyone who enjoyed the base game should absolutely play this.

10. Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment
(Switch)
Completed: 2/4
Time: 4-5 horus

I really enjoyed Shovel Knight, wasn't a big fan of Plague of Shadows (I dropped it), but thoroughly enjoyed this. The movement mechanics are so tight and are very enjoyable.

11. King of Fighters XIV [Replay] (PS4)
Completed: 2/7
Time: 2 hours

I do replays of this every so often using different teams. It's a solid fighter, but as a SF fanboy, I enjoy SFV a lot more.

12. Devil May Cry 4 (PS4)
Time: 8 hours

I'm not the biggest fan of character action games, but I do play a couple every year. This game was decent but IMO, if you played any DMC (or DmC) games they are pretty similar.

13. Crash Bandicoot 2 (PS4)
Time: 5-6 hours

As noted previously, this is my first time playing this series. These are really fun platformers and the remasters are done well. This games doesn't really differ from the first, except for being significantly easier, but that's okay - it's still a great game.

14. Virtua Fighter 5 (XBox1/360)
Completed: 2/16
Time: 1 hour

Played through this short story mode and tried some of the challenges. Not going to spend any extra time with this fighter as I have a lot to play with and it just doesn't stack up against the rest

15. Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare (PS4)
Completed: 2/18
Time: 6-7 hours?

I know this game got shit on a lot, but I thought the campaign was really good. I also enjoyed the air combat and all the side missions. Zombies mode was also fun though no different than the previous CoD Zombies modes I've played. Have not and will not touch the MP tho.

16. Shadow of the Colossus (PS4)
Completed 2/19

This was my first time playing SotC. This game is enjoyable and I would recommend it to anyone with a PS4. My biggest issue is the controls. It's a big issue when the most challenging part of the game is the controls themselves :( . Despite that, it goes to show you how great the game is that I still gave it a 8/10. (It would have been a 10/10 if the controls were better.

17. What Remains of Edith Finch (Xbox 1)
Completed 2/19

"Walking Simulators" aren't my favorite genre, but the story(ies) in this one more than make up for it. They aren't for the light of heart and for parents they can really be a bit somber. But still excellent storytelling.

18. World of Final Fantasy (Vita)
Completed: 2/22
Time: 40 hours

This was a great jRPG and better than some mainline Final Fantasy games. I have never played Pokemon but I'm guess this game is SE attempts to put Pokemon mechanics in a FF setting? Either way it turned out great! The only think I have to say to criticize it is the story and for RPG story is a big factor.

19. Assassin's Creed Origins (XB1)
Completed: 3/2018
Time: 35 hours
Rating: 10/10

I really loved this game. The world and setting constructed is absolutely amazing. Yes, there are still some Ubisoft open-world cookie cutter elements to it, but damn, it was still a blast. My favorite game I've played so far this year.

20. Megaman 10 (XB1)
Completed: 3/2

It's classic Megaman with different robots/powers. Not much else to say

21. Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped (PS4)
Completed: 3/12
Time: 4-5 hours

Completed the third legs of the Crash trilogy. This one was the most fun IMO. Definitely the easiest.

22. Salt and Sanctuary (Vita)
Completed: 3/12
Time: ? No idea I had the Vita in suspend mode a lot and the game has me logged in >200 hours lol

I love Soulsbourne games and this truly is a 2D version. It has it own takes on the "genre" that is a bit hit or miss but still a great experience and any Soulsbourne fan should play

23. Mass Effect (Xb1)
Completed: 3/15
Time: 16 hours

I had barely played this when it first came out. Yet another reason why BC is great; I finallly was able to play through this game and was well worth it. I look forward to trying the other 2 games later on.

24. South Park Stick of Truth (PS4)
Completed: 3/21
Time: 10 hours?

The combat in the game was simple, but damn if this game isn't fun (and funny) as heck though. Unlocking some abilities later in the game kinda broke it though as they were way, way OP.

25. Superhot (XB1)
Completed: 4/4/18
Time: 3 hours?

Heard a lot of good things about this game but never bought it. Was pleased to see it make a GwG and gave it a whirl. Really interesting game and a bit of a chilling story to it. Would highly recommend.

26. Horizon Zero Dawn + Frozen Wilds (PS4)
Completed: 4/17/18
Time: 60 hours

Great game. I wasn't a huge fan at first but as I kept playing I really got drawn into the combat and the story. To put in perspective how much I loved this game, I made the effort to get a platinum trophy for it. As a reference, outside of a TellTale game, the only other game I have a platinum for is Bloodborne. The Frozen Wilds DLC is pretty damn great as well.

27. Oxenfree (XB1)
Completed: 4/18/18
Time: 3-4 hours?
Rating: 7/10

This type of adventure game usually isn't y cup of tea, but after putting in a lot of hours (for me for one game) in HZD it was a great palette cleanser. The story is fairly interesting which is vital in a game such as this.

28. Bug Butcher (XB1)
Completed: 4/28/18

Gave this a try from GamePass. Simple shoot-em-up that is basically fun. The last few levels get pretty intense though and pretty damn tough factoring in the time limit.

29. Darkness II (XB1)
Completed: 5/1/18
Time: ~6 hours
Rating 8/10

I never played the first Darkness. Thought this was a fun game, the powers that you can use really help differentiate it from the countless other FPS that came out last gen. For anyone who has this via GwG, I highly recommend.

30. God of War (PS4)
Completed: 5/4/18; Platinum trophy: 5/11/18
Time: ~40 hours?

Great game. Not much to say that hasn't already been discussed on this forum. One of the gen's must play games IMO.

31. Wolfenstein II (XB1)
Completed: 5/14/18
Time: 14 hours

I wasn't the biggest fan of the New Order and was going to skip this all together until I got it for a really good price with the DLC. Man, am I glad I did. It's an incredible game and one of the best FPS campaign's I've played. I skipped most of the side content, but the game play is so good I'll likely go back.

32. Assassin's Creed Origin's DLC: The Hidden Ones and Curse of the Pharoahs (XB1)
Completed: 5/30/18
Time: 17 hours

I'm going to count both of these DLCs as one game for the list as they have some pretty substantial and engaging content IMO. If you liked AC:O, you will like the DLC. It's more of the same in a good way. Both DLC's had good stories by Ubisoft standards., esp for DLC.

33. Undertale (Vita)

Unfortunately not a game that I enjoyed as much as others.

34. Another World (Vita)
Rating: 5/10
A game I wanted to play back in the SNES days but just now was able to. Glad I did it, but it does not hold up well.

35. State of Decay 2 (XB1)

I loved the first SoD and this was more of that. I don't think it really expanded too much on the game structure, and in fact I actually like the mission/story structure of the first game better. Still a great game though. Either all the reports of how buggy it is (was?) is overblown or I just got lucky

36. Streets of Rage (XB1)

Classic 16-bit side scrolling beat-em-up.

37. Undead Nightmare (XB1)

I'm not the biggest RDR fan, but I still really enjoyed this expansion. Has some fun gameplay mechanics regarding ammunition

38. Shinobi III (XB1)

I never had a chance to play this on the Genesis. Really fun game that holds up well

39. PUBG (XB1)

While there is no ending to this game, I've put enough hours in it to feel I got my money's worth and finally got a chicken dinner. Frankly I think the game is a bit overrated IMO (Fortnite too)

40. Vanquish (XB1)

Not the biggest Platinum games fan, but this game was really fun. The story was LOL, but the core gameplay was fun and a nice romp to play through

41. Hollow Knight (Switch)
Rating: 9.5/10

Amazing game. This board has talked a lot about this game so not much to add. It's the best Metroidvania in a long time (supplanting Ori this gen for me). It's probably my favorite game this year so far edging out God of War

42. Rage (XB1)

Fun FPS, reminded me a lot of a Borderlands vibe tbh. (minus the loot aspect)

43. Batman: The Enemy Within (XB1)
Time: 9 hours

I'm not a big fan of the Telltale games, but loved the first season of Batman as I'm a Batman fanboy. This one I didn't enjoy as much. It was okay, but the story didn't grip me nearly as much as the first one.

44. Gran Turismo Sport (PS4)
TIme: 12 hours

I'm still playing this game, but marking it as done as I saw the credits and got the trophy for the "Finale" It's a good circuit racer IMO. Since I also have Forza 7, I don't mind that there isn't a lot of SP content, but can see why a lot of people do. The online racing is the most fun I've had online. It really shines (and I say this as someone who is much more of a SP guy)

45. Kingdom Hearts 1.5 Final Mix (PS4)
Time: 25 hours

Loved this game. Glad I was finally able to beat it after taking a looong break from it. Look forward to moving onto the next game in the series.

46. Metro Last Light (XB1)
Time: 9 hours

Contiuation of Metro 2033. No big changes in gameplay, but a continuation of the great story. While the gameplay isn't my favorite, these two games have some of the best storytelling for FPS.

47. Streets of Rage 2 (XB1)

Very similar to first Streets of Rage, but much more polished.

48. Battlefield 1 (XB1)
Time: 8 hours

Played through the campaign and tried a couple of online matches. It's okay, but I never would have played this if it wasn't for EA Access.

49. Golf Story (Switch)
TIme: 10 hours

Really enjoyed this golf RPG. It's very easy and simplistic, but still a ton of fun and it's nice that the gameplay is a mix between playing courses and the minigames/challenges. Some fairly amusing moments as well with the writing.

50. Halo Wars 2 (XB1)
Time: 17 hours

Played through the campaign as well as all story DLC and the Flood expansion. Really enjoyed this game, wish I was good enough to mess around online, but I would just get destroyed. Any RTS fan should try this game IMO.

51. Persona 4 Golden (Vita)
Time: 75 hours

My first Persona game and the first JRPG outside of Square Enix RPGs I have played in a long time. Loved, loved this game. One of the few games that I had any emotional attachment to the characters, what happened etc.

52. Metroid Samus Returns (2/3DS)
Rating: 10/10
Time: 12 hours

This my friends is how you do a remake. They took the original Metroid 2 and not only updated it graphically, they completely added new gameplay elements never seen before in this series and it was a-maze-ing. I enjoyed this more than Super Metroid and is likely my favorite Metroid game now

Last edited:

Decarbia

Oct 25, 2017
Second game of the year done.

#2 Xenosaga Episode I, ps2.
34 hours.
As great as ever, but man I'm never gonna hit the target if I play a bunch of jrpgs.

Still, I forgot how weird the first game's style was.

orthodoxy1095

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Main Post

hWWb46U.png

7. Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia (3DS) - Jan. 18 - 38 hours, 29 minutes

I've complained extensively about the direction of Fire Emblem since Awakening came out, and I'm still worried about what FE Switch will end up like. In the midsts of all that change, Shadows of Valentia seemed like it would be a nice return to a more classic Fire Emblem "feeling."

And it...mostly lives up to that...I think? Granted, much like some of the newer FEs, the actual tactics aren't as good as they probably should be. I really don't have the language or expertise in the field of SRPG/TRPG game design to say exactly what's wrong with the game, but there was a real lack of challenge for me for a good chunk of the game. The only time that I ever had any major problem was the final battle, and even so, I only had one casualty in that battle.

But everything other than the "eh" tactics is really quite well done. The dungeon crawling is an interesting twist and honestly a "Gaiden" feature that I wouldn't mind seeing in a proper console Fire Emblem. The story isn't revolutionary, and is frankly pretty trope-y (childhood friends ripped asunder by war, oooooh haven't heard that one!) in its basic building blocks. But even at its stupidest moments, it never made me roll my eyes very hard or want to yell at the protagonists like FE: Fates did. A few of the character designs are dopey, but again, nothing that really annoyed me like Fates or Awakening did.

And I think my favorite thing was there was no dating sim put into the game. Hallelujah. I get why that part is popular with people, but it was a really nice change to have just a few supports to focus on, and to me it generally felt like the writing improved by not having to have so many pairing options diluting the quality.

Echoes probably could have been a bit better, but all told it's a really nice revitalization of Gaiden, and what I hope is the first of many "Echoes" remakes to come. You've got a new captive audience from Fates and Awakening, so start bringing back the old games. Show the new fans what we cherished about those old games!

Should I play Shadows of Valentia? If you're a fan of Fire Emblem, I really don't think you can go too wrong with this. Have some tempered expectations about the actual mechanics, and I think you'll enjoy the ride.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
I had a productive weekend. Main Post here

#01 Deadpool (PS4)
MEDIOCRE - While the game has a lot of good humor and made me "lol" several times the core game simply isn't good. It plays like a (very) poor mans Devil May Cry and you can clearly see that this game was made on a tight budget. Everything feels floaty, button-mashy and unprecise. Both melee and shooting aren't good at all. Doesn't help that the game throws hordes of enemies at you. It gets downright tiring to work through those hordes. And that comes from someone who loves hack'n'slays and everything with shooting. The sad part is that High Moon studio could have done so much better with more resources. I love both their Transformers games, but Activision decided to toss them into their content-creator-machinery without room to grow and make even better games. All in all the game reminded me a lot of Eat Lead: The Return of Matt Hazard which was a similar subpar game with good humor and a similar scenario. And oh yeah, the game is butt ugly. Even for PS3 standards it's not good.

#02 Doom VFR (PSVR)
GOOD - First I was disappointed in the bad move-controls. Fast movement with these is a pain and it wasn't fun at all. But then I switched to Dualshock controls and found it to be very enjoyable. It's basicalle DOOM-Mission-CD but in VR and shows perfectly how great every first-person-shooter could work in VR. It's also the best looking PSVR-game to date, yet there are some problems with (very) late loading textures. Sadly it's very short (~2hours) and there are no new enemies or locations. Everything consists of recycled assets from the original game. I feel that a full VR-port of the original game would have been better IMO because this brings nothing new to the table and lacks content. Still recommended for everyone who doesn't get motion-sick and wants to expierence the full FPS-experience in VR.

#03 One Piece Burning Blood (PS4)
MEDIOCRE - To be honest I never found these 3D-anime-fighting games very good. I just can't find a real access to them. They feel random, unresponsive and confusing to me. But they look so good and that makes them fun in the end. And I like One Piece. But oh boy is the campaign mode an unbalanced mess. Some of the later fights are outright infuriating with enemies doing so much damage that you can die within the first seconds of a fight while their HP is buffed into infinity. There was no way for me to defeat these enemies without cheesing them and even that took many, many tries and a lot of luck. Also the campaign is very short with only four playable characters and only one story-arc from different perspectives. There is a meaty but repetitive "Wanted"-mode and multiplayer-variants though, but I didn't care much for them to be honest.

#04 Fallout 4 (PS4)
GREAT - Not as good as Fallout: New Vegas, but better than Fallout 3. Another great Bethesda open-world with some good quests, nice characters, a good companion-system and rewarding exploration. Nick Valentine has to be some of my favorite companions in recent memory. Great character-creation and skill-system. Also the shooting was improved a lot what makes it fun this time. The base-building stuff seemed interesting at first but it is nearly impossible to build something "good looking" and so I just spammed the necassary buildings around the areas and used the supply lines to easily store all my junk-parts. The system was okay at first but felt like busywork in the end. I don't really want this to return in other Bethesda games. The crafting of weapons and armor was good though. They have to get rid of all the randomly generated fetch-quests. Or at least mark them as those. The main story-arc was okay, but I didn't like the ending (played with Minutemen). Felt like a big waste to be honest. Still a lot of fun just walking around in the wasteland and discovering new quests, locations and characters.

rahji

Oct 25, 2017
3. Luigi's Mansion 2 Finished at 1/22/2018 Time: 14 hours

Luigi%27s_Mansion_Dark_Moon_%28Boxart%29.png

The game is good, but not as good as the first game.
It has certain flaws: Firstly, it is just too long. Who wants to visit 5 mansions and do a lot of backtracking in each mansion? It feels like you have to go through every room several times. It would be nicer to streamline the experience and cut the total game time to 10 hours and 3 to 4 mansions. The second flaw comes straight with the first point: There are too many repetetive elements like chasing the ghost dog or escorting the toads. I mean, doing that once or twice is ok, but not in every mansion. It becomes predictable and boring. I almost gave up during mansion 2 and 3 because they were the worst mansions in the game design wise. Mansion 1,4 and 5 are really great, but all in all it is a mixed bag. Personally, I didn't like the mission structure of the game. You get pulled out and loose any immersion that built up so far. This happens every 20 to 30 minutes. Also the professor is such a hazzle. He constantly contacts you which pulls you out. Again. I think this is a lot of wasted potential. And I really hated balancing with the gyro sensor. I had such a hard time with that.
I really liked the animations, they are really great. Luigi's akwardness and his behaviour when scared is absolutely hilarious. The last boss was really great, it was a challenge, but not too difficult. The level design in general is quite nice, everything fits in this game. And treasure hunting is fun, too!
I wrote so many negative aspects now, I am not sure if I can recommend this game.

Last edited:

Geido

Oct 30, 2017
Okay, I'm joining this year.

Main post:

1: Assassin's Creed Origins (PS4/70h/07-01)
Appararently this was a good Assassin's Creed again, and I totally agree with that. The changes to the controls were for the better, Egypt was very nicely portayed and the quest were of a higher standard than most modern RPGs. Not Witcher quality, but you can see they looked there for some of their inspiration. And walking around in Ancient Egypt was just a delight.

2: What Remains Of Edith Finch (PS4/2h/08-01)
Very short game, but I liked it. It had pretty creative ways to tell their story and the gameplay and narrative were surprisingly interlinked. It felt like playing a pixar movie, although it's a bit more sad in nature than most Pixar movies. It had that sense of childlike wonder.

3: Persona 4: Dancing All Night (PSVITA/13h/19-01)
What I thought would be nothing more than a simple cash grab I bought on a whim during the last PSN Sale, turned our to be a great game. Persona 4 already had a great score, but the remixed songs are even better and it adds a few great ones. It has a nice learning curve and it's just great to spend some more time with these characters. The story isn't that mindblowing, but it serves its purpose. In the end it's addictively replayable and just plain fun. As someone who is usually more into story-driven or strategic games, this was a welcome change and one I might need to do more often.

4: Abzu (PS4/4h/21-01)
A beautiful game, without that much to do. There were times while playing it when I asked myself what the hell I was doing there and why. The story isn't told by words (which is refreshing) but it's also a bit confusing at points. At the end of it all, it comes together quite nicely though. Certain scenes in the game are stunningly beautiful and for that alone it was a worthwhile endeavour.

Lucock

Jan 15, 2018
Brisbane, Australia
Game 1: Hidden Folks - 3:00 hours (03/01/2018)
header.jpg

Game 2: Gears of War: Ultimate Edition - 8:24 hours (05/01/2018)
gears_of_war__ultimate_edition___steam_grid_by_massimomoretti-d9zkpet.png

Game 3: Detention - 3:54 hours (09/01/2018)
header.jpg

Game 4: Antichamber - 7:12 hours (12/01/2018)
header.jpg

Game 5: The Witness - 17:00 hours (14/01/2018)
header.jpg

Game 6: Sanctum 2 - 12:00 hours (14/01/2018)
header.jpg

Game 7: Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine - 8:54 hours (17/01/2018)
header.jpg

Game 8: Rome: Total War - 50:00 hours (19/01/2018)
steam_grid_view__rome___total_war_by_joerockehf-d59ubd0.jpg

Game 9: To the Moon - 4:36 hours (22/01/2018)
header.jpg

Game 10: Tomb Raider - 10:54 hours (24/01/2018)
header_wlCwrGC-460x215.jpg

Game 11: Overlord - 16:00 hours (28/01/2018)
header.jpg

Game 12: Magicka 2 - 5:12 hours (31/01/2018)
header.jpg

Game 13: Beyond Good & Evil - 11:00 hours (11/02/2018)
header.jpg

Game 14: Grand Theft Auto III - 14:54 hours (15/02/2018)
header.jpg

Game 15: Assassin's Creed Unity - 30:00 hours (24/02/2018)
header.jpg

Game 16: Game Dev Tycoon - 17:48 hours (25/02/2018)
header.jpg

Game 17: Darksiders Warmastered Edition - 17:18 hours (10/03/2018)
header.jpg

Game 18: Just Cause - 8:18 hours (12/03/2018)
header.jpg

Game 19: Grand Theft Auto: Vice City - 12:36 hours (16/03/2018)
header.jpg

Game 20: Dead Rising - 12:54 hours (19/03/2018)
header.jpg

Game 21: Trine 2 - 7:06 hours (23/03/2018)
header.jpg

Game 22: Doom - 5:00 hours (25/03/2018)
header.jpg

Game 23: Far Cry 3 - 23:00 hours (29/03/2018)
header.jpg

Game 24: Detective Grimoire - 2:36 hours (31/03/2018)
header.jpg

Game 25: Bully: Scholarship Edition - 12:12 hours (04/04/2018)
header.jpg

Game 26: Endless Space - 26:00 hours (06/04/2018)
header.jpg

Game 27: Fahrenheit: Indigo Prophecy Remastered - 8:18 hours (08/04/2018)
header.jpg

Game 28: Red Faction II - 3:18 hours (13/04/2018)
header.jpg

Game 29: Bioshock 2 - 7:36 hours (21/04/2018)
header.jpg

Game 30: DOOM II: Hell on Earth - 5:12 hours (23/04/2018)
header.jpg

Game 31: DOOM 3: BFG Edition - 8.24 hours (29/04/2018)
header.jpg

Game 32: Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Future Soldier - 10.24 hours (06/07/2018)
header.jpg

Game 33: Tom Clancy's EndWar - 5:54 hours (09/07/2018)
header.jpg

Game 34: Alan Wake's American Nightmare - 3:00 hours (10/07/2018)
header.jpg

Game 35: Amnesia: The Dark Descent - 5:42 hours (11/07/2018)
header.jpg

Game 36: Rome: Total War - Alexander - 8:54 hours (06/08/2019)
header.jpg

Game 37: SHOGUN: Total War - Gold Edition - 6:24 hours (17/08/2018)
header.jpg

Game 38: RAGE - 12:42 hours (26/08/2018)
header.jpg

Game 39: Little Nightmares - 3:48 hours (21/11/2018)
header.jpg

Game 40: RiME - 5:00 hours (22/11/2018)
header.jpg

Game 41: Snake Pass - 3:36 hours (23/11/2018)
header.jpg

Game 42: Brutal Legend - 6:06 hours (24/11/2018)
header.jpg

Game 43: Anno 2070 - 49:00 hours (30/11/2018)
header.jpg

Game 44: Saints Row IV - 9:24 hours (01/12/2018)
header.jpg

Game 45: Batman: Arkham City GOTY - 7:18 hours (03/12/2018)
header.jpg

Game 46: Grim Fandango Remastered - 6:48 hours (05/12/2018)
header.jpg

Game 47: METAL GEAR SOLID 5: GROUND ZEROES - 1:30 hours (06/12/2018)
header.jpg

Game 48: Overlord: Raising Hell - 6:00 hours (07/12/2018)
header.jpg

Game 49: Rayman Legends - 6:30 hours (08/12/2018)
header.jpg

Game 50: Saints Row 2 - 17:30 hours (12/12/2018)
header.jpg

Game 51: Transistor - 3:42 hours (13/12/2018)
header.jpg

Game 52: Tacoma - 1:36 hours (14/12/2018)
header.jpg

Game 53: Assassin's Creed Chronicles: China - 5:30 hours (28/12/2018)
header.jpg

Game 54: Assassin's Creed Chronicles: India - 5:36 hours (30/12/2018)
header.jpg

Game 55: Assassin's Creed Chronicles: Russia - 5:06 hours (31/12/2018)
header.jpg

Last edited:

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Main post: https://www.resetera.com/posts/2784229/

13. Broken Sword 2: The Smoking Mirror - Remastered / 9h - completed 22.01.18

A classic and one of my favorite PnC Adventure games. The animation and background art are great., colorful and evocative. As is the character design. Some of the characters are a bit iffy though, i think this game would probably get a fair bit of criticism nowadays regarding the portrayal of some of them. Stereotyping aside, they are mostly well written. George and Nico are wonderful protagonists. And i do love the writing in this game, especially when it comes to the more comedy driven moments like the film set shenanigans.

On the gameplay side, i have some problems with a couple of instances. The game starts at a brisk pace but completely hits a wall when we get to Quaramonte. I spent a good 2 hours on that part just wishing things moved along. And the jungle bit is just tedious and repetitive. There's no need to make you walk through some 10 screens back and forth several times over to solve a puzzle. That's just bad design.
Apart from those two cases, the game flows flawlessly from scene to scene and most puzzles are very satisfying to figure out, relying more on common sense than lateral thinking, which is always a positive for me.

Broken Sword 2 still remains one of the best and most essential games in the genre and i recommend it to anyone who has an interest in Adventure games but never delved too deep into them. It's very charming and a good entry point.

Shroki

Oct 27, 2017
[1] DONKEY KONG COUNTRY (SNES) - COMPLETED ON JANUARY 15.
Played it quite a bit as a kid but never beat it. Now that I have, I see how well it was designed. There are few mechanics but lots of gimmicks within each level that feel individually crafted for that level. It's a very non-repititious game. The production quality was off the charts for the Super Nintendo. I used to regard the DKC games as Mario Worlds all-flash less-substance cousins on Super Nintendo but I can see a healthier comparison being made now.

[2] WHAT REMAINS OF EDITH FINCH (PC) - COMPLETED ON JANUARY 22
Saw it was highly recommended by the ResetEra GOTY thread and I love the genre, so I gave it a chance. I can see why people who loved it, LOVED it. It's fantastic to look it and the games within the game are beautifully thematic and well designed. The problem here is I'm not a huge fan of this kind of morbid storyline. It doesn't sit with me the way I think they want it to sit with me - I just want to flush it out with something more optimistic.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
CvxERU3.png

Game #30 - Until Dawn
Time: 7 hours

Holy shit, this really blew away my expectations. What a great love letter to slasher, or horror movies in general. Super fun horror game with a lot of emphasis on Heavy Rain style quick time events but also a lot of third person exploration. The story is both very cliche but well told, with a shocking lack of plot holes which made me happy. It's also quite meaty for a game that you can (or even are supposed to) play multiple times, as choices and events in the game can drastically change the story and scenes. I'm not going to play it again anytime soon but I can totally see myself play this again next year or something and go for totally different choices. The only blemish in the game is that performance really takes a hit sometimes, and characetr models' faces have some weird uncanny valley animations going, especially since it's known actors. the game itself actually looks quite good outside of that. And on a personal note, i'm a little bummed at who I let die, especially the last one as I didnt fully understand what the game wanted me to do I guess (the others were either failed quicktimes or bad decisions which I'm fine wtih lol). So yeah, one of my favorite games of the year so far, and huge recomendation for horror fans.

c03nsAx.png

Game #31 - Battlefield 4
Time: 7 hours

If you know me or you read my 52 challenge lists, you will know that I'm a person with very low standards for videogames, I usually at the very least enjoy everything, and very rarely dislike a game, let alone hate it. Well, I guess I was due for one, as I absolutely hated this game. Where to start... completely bland story with no worthwhile character, the worst "monster closet" syndrome I've seen in ages with enemies spawning around you for no reason, horrid companion AI that will just stand enar enemies and not shoot them, and the engage feature didnt work half the time, terrible case of "wait for the npc to get to the spot top proceed", even worse than most CoD campaigns if thats possible, and on top of it all its super buggy with models falling through the ground, shots not registering (lost count of the amount of center mass snper shots that didnt hit) and a few crashes, one of them actually hard locked my PS4 Pro and gave me a scare. I'm not the best at FPS games but I can get through your average CoD campaign on normal without issue, and usually really enjoy them, but here there were two or three times where I was jsut stuck in the same endless enemy spawning battle and dying over and over again that the only reason I didnt drop the game was for this challenge, and also the only reason the game didnt take me 5 hours instead of 7, because it's not very long at all levels wise. In fact, its the first time the 52 game challenge worked against me lol. I feel like I wasted hours of my life with this game, I really do. As for the MP, I dont play MP socan't comment on it. Oh, almost forgot, its SUPER pretty, there's that at least.

Main Post

Last edited:

orthodoxy1095

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Main Post

Ayvch5r.png

8. SteamWorld Dig 2 (PS4) - Jan. 18 - 5 hours, 33 minutes

I think SteamWorld Dig 2 is a really nice bitesized game, and almost everything I wanted from a sequel. The visuals are better, the music is good, the new characters are well done, Dot is a better protagonist than Rusty, etc. That said, I guess I'm a real sucker for context and player investment though, because the game still wasn't quite there for me. I absolutely enjoyed my time, but SteamWorld is such a comfy series that I guess I still wanted something to make me feel a little more at home. I dunno what, maybe a way to interact/build up the town or something like the fun hats of Heist. Anything that makes me feel a little less like a tourist or passing-by 19th century mineral exploiter.

Should I play SteamWorld Dig 2? Yeah, if you're into mining and platforming, this is another excellent marriage of those two things. Especially if you can get it at $15, which I feel like is a sweet spot.

Bosh

Oct 26, 2017
Got #7 done over the weekend. I should hit 52, but my favorite thing out of all of this is just keeping track of what I am playing. I also have made some awesome excel sheets to keep track of the games, rating it (against 11 factors). I think I will do this forever going forward as one day I can look back.

ORIGINAL POST

octodad_mfg_7.jpg

7: Octodad: Deadliest Catch (1-20-2018) | 7/10 | PS4 | ~ 2 Hours
#
Overall - 7 | I got a ton of laughs out of this game. Going back to get all the ties!
Gameplay - 6.75 | Had to exclude a category I normally judge gameplay on. Also controls was a hard one to grade as they are supposed to be tough. Its fun to play though, which matters most.
Sound - 6 | Not a ton, but has some funny tracks.
Story/Online - 7 | An Octopus in disguise as a human. Game is hilarious which is hard to do.
Asking Price- 8.33 | Had a great lasting appeal on me and the content/replay value is high.

7 : Fun, enjoyable experience

How I rate games:
# Overall - | Aggregate of 4 components below. Decimal rounded up or down by personal bias.
Gameplay - | 5 categories
Sound - | 1 category
Story/Online - | 1/2 category(ies)
Asking Price- | 3 categories

Last edited:

Axass

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Original post.

Game 2: Human: Fall Flat [with friend] - 3/5 - 07:54 hours (21/01/2018)

latest

Reached the credits, got more than half the achievements. Physics based puzzles have reached a prominent presence in videogames ever since Half-Life 2 release, so they could risk to be obvious or overplayed, but it goes to the game's merit that I found them fresh and unique instead; of course, there are a few box on switch ones, but the vast majority are fun to tackle and feel new. When the game starts you feel clumsy and lost, due to the sparse environments floating in the sky, the eerie atmosphere permeating the world and the way you control your featureless humanoid blob; soon though, you'll master the movements and you'll be introduced to the most important mechanics: climbing and clinging. Everything is seamlessly built around these two mechanics and your interactions with the environmental props you find in each level: from simple buttons, levers and sticks, passing by swinging lanterns, wooden carts and electric wires, to reach rowing boats, forklifts, catapults and even a cargo ship, all elements operated by hand and adhering to physics. The levels themselves, especially the later ones, are structured in an open way, with different possible routes and plenty of shortcuts and skips, hidden with various degrees of secrecy; this makes the game feel like a sandbox to play in and has you feel rewarded for figuring out the smartest and quickest way to pass an obstacle. The presentation of the game is cubic and polygonal, with simple colours and a flat, cartoon like, shading, the game lacks any kind of narrative, besides a few maxims in the intro, the music rears its head seldom, when you enter new areas, and has a misterious vibe; that coupled with the dreamscape-like levels, give an enigmatic air to the game. A game not very varied in its content, very focused on what it tries to do, which succeeds in presenting it in a compelling way.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
9. Night in the Woods
header.jpg

I honestly don't how to describe this game in a proper way, but I quite enjoyed it.
It's an Adventure game with various light gameplay elements and platforming.
If anything I found the themes and characters quite good and interesting and I really connected with some of them.

Richter1887

Oct 27, 2017
I played over 57 games last year, lets see if I can top it.
1: OutRun 2 SP (1/1/2018) ★★★★★
I wanted to start the year off by replaying one of the best racing games ever made. The physics, the art style, the sense of speed is still awesome and never gets old.
2: Hidden my game by mom (16/1/2018) ★★★
I enjoyed my time with this game and while it had some boring puzzles, the awesome ending made me like this game.

3: Assassins Creed Rogue (22/1/2018) ★★★★

This game is basically Black Flag 2 but the mission design is better, So no more tailing someone while they are talking or anything like that. It fixed my problems from BF but I felt like the setting and the story are worse. Pirates are much more unique and interesting and I liked the Caribbean islands more than NY and the Arctic. Still, gameplay wise it is much better than BF.

Kidou_rex

Oct 27, 2017
Main Post

3. Tokyo Xanadu eX+ - 01/19
It's difficult to describe this game without comparing it to others. In particular it borrows a lot from Falcom's Ys and Trails franchise which ultimately makes it feel like the game doesn't have much of its own identity. Early on the plot progresses very slowly and the movement and hit stun on attacks feels just a little bit off. Later in the game when the story picks up and the boss enemy patterns become more varied, I enjoyed the game a lot more. Although this game was ultimately pretty disappointing to me, there were some aspects of the story and gameplay that I enjoyed a lot and if cleaned up could lead to a great sequel.

4. Cuphead - 01/22
Cuphead has an amazing visual style and animations to back it up to make it look just like a cartoon from the 30s. The boss fights are all well designed with neat gimmicks and phases that make you learn and pay attention to the environments around you. The platforming levels are pretty frustrating and not particularly fun either. Unfortunately you kinda have to do them if you want to get weapon and ability upgrades. Luckily there are not very many of them though so it's a small mark on an overall great experience. I really like how the game does not show you a boss's current health, but will show you their health bar after you died so you can see how close you were to the next phase or the kill without ruining the bosses surprises the first time around. My standout favorite boss was the King Dice encounter, but there wasn't really one that I disliked.

Next up:
Going to try to play through Adventures of Mana on the Vita this week before Monster Hunter World and Dragon Ball Fighterz come out.

Decarbia

Oct 25, 2017
Third game randomly. Didn't realize how close I was to the end of DBVX2.

#3. Dragonbal Xenoverse 2 for Nintendo Switch
A great port, Ran well for me, I played entirely portable though so the lower resolution wasn't super noticeable. I kinda want to try out the motion controls but this was a game I found myself playing away from home exclusively. Lots of fun though.

orthodoxy1095

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Main Post
NnuM55Q.png

9. Persona 5 (PS4) - Jan. 19 - 78 hours, 52 minutes

I could probably write you a dissertation about all the things wrong with Persona 5. Without even bothering to delve into all the possible ways that the game mishandles its various subject matters, there's like a million things wrong with this game's design.

Friendships could still use more main narrative tie-ins, the story could probably be a lot less anime "monster of the week," the translation could be far better, dungeons still drag too long, the final party character felt superfluous once again, and probably most egregiously, Morgana makes me want to rip my goddamn hair out. It's a seemingly subtle difference, but changing the tired prompt from something like "You're tired from visiting the other world. Go to bed?" (which read as if it was my character thinking to himself) to "You must be tired after today. Let's go to sleep." was one of the worst ideas the Persona team ever had. By the time I was halfway through the game, I was fantasizing about ways to strangle this bloody cat that was trying to act like my parent. By the time you've been told to go to bed without even letting you make a lockpick or watch a DVD for the umpteenth time,Morgana actually feels like your real prison warde. I'm not the biggest Breath of the Wild fan, but going from a game where basically no one was tell me what to do, to a game where a cat was trying to tell me what to do all the time, drove me nuts.

And yet…in spite of the multitudinous things wrong with it, I still love this game. I love that the game actually tries to mimic the time constraints of real daily life (particularly what I remember from high school scheduling). I love that there are actually serious imbalances in the benefits that certain relationships give. The people you care about may not be the most "valuable," but you still care about them the most because you like who they are. I even love that unless you anally plan everything out (or follow a guide) there are things that you're going to miss.

Everything else you'd expect from the Persona Team is here. The menu design is just absurdly good, the general visuals of…well…everything are amazing, the character designs are incredible and the OST is nearly perfect.

Perhaps most of all, I love the cast. A friend remarked to me the other day, "Aren't these all the same character types from the last game?" And I suppose in a lot of ways he was right. There's a student council president, an artsy man, a celebrity/model, a loud male best friend, a teacher, a mascot, a grumpy "dad" and so on. Not only are these common Persona character types, but they're just plain anime stereotypes in some ways. But still they somehow felt (mostly at least) unique, and like their own people. It's hard for me to explain why I enjoyed them so much, but I know I'll think of them often.

In some ways, Persona 5 could never have lived up to the hype and expectations that were built up over the course of all that waiting and then all the delays that lengthened that initial wait.

So yeah, the game runs a little long in the tooth. Yeah, there's some bizarre inconsistency in the way certain things are handled. Yeah, it didn't shatter the earth like it was expected to by some. But it was still a journey worth taking, and one worth waiting for.

See you in 2030 Persona 6.

Should I play Persona 5? As long as you're aware of what you're getting into. Expect long sections of tutorializing or exposition dumps. Expect some flawed messages and inconsistent handling of certain issues or characters. Expect something that is incredibly Japanese, in that its message is absolutely geared for a modern Japanese person. But also expect something pretty cool and worth experiencing.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Main post: https://www.resetera.com/posts/2784229/

14. Digital: A Love Story / 2h - completed 23.01.18

full.png

Finally got to play Christina Love's wonderful little gem. The game takes place in a 1988 desktop, where you connect to the internet through a BBS. The story rapidly grows from there and i love the way it all feels so naturalistic while telling a very interesting SF short story. Don't want to go any deeper into it as discovery is a big part of its appeal.

A lot of the interactions with the game really took me back, although i only started using the internet in the early 90's, so i kinda missed that earlier age. The visuals are expectedly simple but effective, and the OST is good, if a little bit limited in variety.

Glad i played it and am definitely gonna look into her other games.

Last edited:

Bosh

Oct 26, 2017
MAIN POST

Steamworld_Dig_GameBanner.jpg

8: SteamWorld Dig (1-22-2018) | 7/10 | PS4 | ~ 4.5 Hours
#
Overall - 7 | Great first game to the series
Gameplay - 8 | I really enjoy the loop of pushing through a mine, upgrading..etc. Game controls well.
Sound - 7 | Only a few tracks, all decent.
Story/Online - 6 | Its a minimal story, but the mine itself is the story and whats lurking beyond.
Asking Price- 8 | With randomized worlds, if you enjoy the mechanics the game welcomes you back for more

Played & 100+% SteamWorld Dig 2 last year. Playing the first one makes me appreciate the second game even more as it builds upon #1 and takes it to another level.

Oct 26, 2017
Belarus
Main Post part 1

-------

11. Darkness Within: In Pursuit of Loath Nolder - 5 hours
Myst-alike first-person adventure game, with story inspired by H. P. Lovecraft's works. You playing as detective and investigating mysterious murder by visiting old mansions and other dark places like abandoned cemetery. Writing is good, there is a lot documents to read and you need to underline clues in them. There is also nightmares, and first one is really crazy one, in a good way. Game starts very promising, but i can't say ending was really satisfying, it was not complete shit, but still last hours not that impressive as they've could be. Overall this is a good adventure game, but only if you into this type of games, puzzles can be confusing and it's easy too stuck without knowing what to do next, so go for it if you don't mind challenge (or using walkthrough).

12. Rise of the Tomb Raider: Blood Ties - 2 hours
Standalone story DLC, it's more adventure style than main game, there is no combat at all. Only thing you do is exploring Croft Manor and solving puzzles by reading clues. Nothing really special, Manor is way too small compared to previous Tomb Raider games, but worth to check it out if you liked main game.

Chas Hodges

Nov 7, 2017
Original Post

For me, I'm actually making decent progress so far. I've finished a few shorter games and am actually sticking with some mid-length titles too. For some reason having a place to say 'I've done it!' has really helped motivate me to give games a fair crack, even if no one is necessarily reading what I have to say.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Original Post

For me, I'm actually making decent progress so far. I've finished a few shorter games and am actually sticking with some mid-length titles too. For some reason having a place to say 'I've done it!' has really helped motivate me to give games a fair crack, even if no one is necessarily reading what I have to say.

Same. I'm using this as a means to stop myself from playing games for 20 minutes before trying another one, again and again. Too much choice :/
This way i sort of feel obligated to at least stick with something until i'm pretty sure i don't wanna play it anymore.
My backlog has been growing for years, this might be the first time it actually decreases.

greenbird

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Never done this before, so let's give it a shot. This will be my main post.

Scoring scale:
★★★★★ Ace. One of the best games I've ever played in that genre or overall.
★★★★ Great. Games I consider must plays, award contenders. Very few negatives.
★★★ Good. Strengths outweigh the weaknesses, and these games were worth my time.
★★ Meh. Heavily flawed or boring game. Mediocre, but with an aspect or two that I liked.
★ Nah. Games that are beyond broken, or offered me absolutely nothing of interest.

TCopqCZ.jpg

1. Horizon: Zero Dawn | Jan. 11 | PS4 | 67 Hours | ★★★★½

I finally finished it up about two weeks ago, and let me say, holy hell what an experience. The combat against the machines might be the best I've played in an open world game. The bow and trap gameplay is just so satisfying, and the enemies feel like a threat for a long time. Human combatants, not so much. Not a huge fan of collecting trinkets either, but the vantage points were cool. The visuals and sound design were phenomenal, and Aloy controlled extremely well. I never found myself struggling with that aspect, which was the only knock I ever had against The Witcher 3 (I even liked the combat in that game, but goddamn was it a chore to control Geralt). At the end of the day, what made me fall in love with Horizon was the main story. It's my kind of jam, but I didn't get there unscathed. About halfway through I was feeling a lull, kinda going through the motions and getting sidetracked with other things. Once the second half kicks in and you really start unfolding the mysteries of Aloy's and the planets past, I was hooked 'til the end. It even motivated me to read/listen to all the log files because I wanted to know as much as I could about that world. For a new IP, Guerilla just nailed it. The strength of the combat and story, along with being a technical masterpiece, overcame the handful of flaws I had with it to earn a really high score.

SVXj8Ze.jpg

2. Iconoclasts | Jan. 27 | PC | 15 Hours | ★★★★

A metroidvania style game with a narrative focus and good characterization. The pixel art and soundtrack were high quality, and the writing was good on the whole. There were a few times the phrasing of dialog threw me off, and I would have to reread it (if I didn't accidentally advance already). It does a lot of things right, with a few things I was iffy on. The boss fights were great, and a number of them stand out for either their mechanics or the drama involved in the showdown. I enjoyed the various areas to explore, but of course backtracking is a thing you'll encounter. The tower level for instance, while it's obvious that a lot of effort was put into the progression aspect, I got tired of juggling the various elevators by the end of it. None of your tools become outdated, which is nice, but the additional tweak system never feels necessary. By the end, most of my crafting materials went unused. The first 75% of the game is good, but the last quarter is amazing, including a few moments that'll stick in my gaming memory for a while.

Last edited: