• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 26, 2017
Belarus
Main Post part 1

-------

15. Shadow of the Tomb Raider - The Forge - 1 hours
As additional sidequest The Forge is okay, but as standalone DLC? It's not worth it, especially for a full price. Just 1 crypt, 1 tomb, 1 outfit, and 1 new skill, all for 1 hour of the gameplay. The storyline is nothing special and focused on the past of the new character no one cares about. The main problem of this DLC is the fact that if you finished the main game on 100% already, there is no point in getting it separately from Season Pass. It's a fine addition if you like the original game and want some more tomb raiding, but you won't return to the game only to play this DLC, there is no value in that. You won't be able to use many rewards that you get for completion of this DLC if you already finished the game, so if you just started playing SotTR and enjoying it, get the season pass as soon as possible.

CrazyAznKT

Nov 8, 2017
-Main Post-

Finally getting off my butt and making my first update! Finally got a design I like too, hope the banners aren't too big but if people find it annoying I can change their size!

JANUARY GAMES
1. Kingdom Hearts HD Dream Drop Distance (PS4) | 3rd Jan - 75hrs | 3/5
WBXtig6.jpg

My Kingdom Hearts marathon continues! I had played this game 2-3 times before, it's pretty low on my list of KH games but I had to continue my crusade of getting all platinum trophies regardless. It's also easily the worst platinum trophy because having to drop constantly hoping to get all the portals you need is much more tedious than say, playing every Command Board in BBS on all three characters. It's also some of the worst combat in the series, bosses are entirely forgettable and they don't have hit stun. This was also my first time beating DDD on Critical. In hindsight, writing this after playing KHIII, the story placated fans for years in anticipation for KHIII but now stands as a pointless entry.

2. Oxenfree (Switch) | 16th Jan - 6hrs | 4/5
BmOGtqm.jpg

I remember being shaken by how characters interrupt each other when they talk, but I came to really like it since it kind of felt more natural. I love everything about the aesthetic, I remember being enamored with it when trailers first dropped and I can't believe it's taken me this long to get to it. I love that there's an ARG associated with this. I love how this game starts out familiar but becomes eerie. The one thing that I don't love about this game is the walking speed, it's the one thing that prevented me from being a completionist with this game and what's prevented me from revisiting it to get different endings.

3. Kuso (Switch) | 17th Jan - 2hrs | 4/5
8a6Q6tU.jpg

Hey shouts out to Fred Wood, this game is awesome! It's just a real solid platformer with no bells and whistles. It also includes remixes of levels from his other game, Love, which I also hadn't played so that was a welcome surprise. It's gone on sale for $2 a few times, but it's totally worth the full price too. Absolutely worth it as a refresher between bigger games.

4. The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages (3DS) | 18th Jan - 21hrs | 4/5
9TV9Svq.jpg

Been playing this on and off for months, I had always been put off by the art style of this game but once I actually dove in, it's become one of my favorite 2D Zelda titles. Jumping between two different versions of the map is pretty fun, it's no Link to the Past but it still does some pretty interesting stuff. I'm already half way through Oracle of Seasons as I'm writing this and it's making me so nostalgic about older handheld games' interactivity with each other.

5. PaRappa the Rapper (PS4) | 26th Jan - 3hrs | 3/5
FnYTlTI.jpg

I really wanted to like this game more, but the timing is just too tight. I had to pivot my mindset from playing this game as a timewaster to something I needed to take seriously before I could actually beat it. The absolutely worst part of the game is the last level where you just cannot beat it without failing it and memorizing the note track. I still like the aesthetic a lot though, I'll get to its related titles at some point.

6. Amplitude (PS4) | 27th Jan - 5hrs | 4/5
Qbaea9d.jpg

I was really surprised by how many songs I recognized in this game! If you enjoy Mega64, there's a few surprises in here. I really miss Harmonix games, this was a thrill to experience and I wish this game had DLC. Similar to the previous game, I'm really annoyed by how the last level is really hard to play because of visual distortions.

7. Strike Vector EX (PS4) | 28th Jan - 4hrs | 3/5
cVy5KBr.jpg

I don't play many dog fighting games but this one was pretty okay. It didn't leave much of a lasting impression but I enjoyed it enough. Hovering and strafing are pretty different. Boy this story is bad, your character switches sides between like 4 factions pretty much every other chapter.

FEBRUARY GAMES
8. Kingdom Hearts III (PS4) | 9th Feb - 64hrs | 4/5
F3OGQTC.jpg

You can really feel that Nomura doesn't like the story he set up and wants to move on to the next chapter of Kingdom Hearts. I am really fanatic about Kingdom Hearts and I'm not really compelled to dive much into KHIII's lore or anything. It's one of the most straightforward games in the series in my opinion - seriously, this might be the only game in the franchise to not introduce new characters. Gameplay was way too easy for me, critical doesn't feel deep enough for me (yet a bit tedious like DDD too), new gummi ship stuff is fun, I wish there were more combat challenges (secret bosses/colosseum). This game was never going to satisfy everyone but I love it nonetheless because almost all my children are here and happy. I need to know what the Re:Memory DLC is! It's so weird being in a post-KHIII world with no concrete upcoming game announced (KHUX content be damned).

9. Titanfall 2 (PS4) | 11th Feb - 10hrs | 5/5
GvJ1xlL.jpg

Oops, I played Titanfall 2 again. How could I not after Apex Legends dropped? This time I played the campaign again on the hardest difficulty, where I tried to run away from as many fights as possible. I also got really close to getting the platinum trophy! I just need to shave 2 more seconds off my gauntlet time.

MARCH GAMES
10. Gang Beasts (PS4) | 2nd Mar - 5hrs | 5/5
qcsKtTL.jpg

Ahhh, I love this game so much! I was laughing the entire time I was playing this with friends, my cheeks were hurting and I have trouble breathing and was told to keep my laughter down several times. I wish I could get together with friends more often to play this but alas being an adult makes it difficult.

11. Surgeon Simulator (PSVR) | 3rd Mar - 5hrs | 5/5
pcl1Odu.jpg

Convinced some inebriated friends to play this previous night but I had to try it for myself after. And then I just kept going, now I'm a master surgeon! I actually didn't know it was just the same five operations in different settings, I'm surprised this game has been around as long as it has with so many versions but hasn't added more content in all this time.

12. Voltron VR Chronicles (PSVR) | 5th Mar - 2hrs | 2/5
Zogt6kH.jpg

Hey Voltron's cool. Need to watch more of the modern show. I've played enough VR games that this really wasn't interesting anymore. It's just really short with a puzzle segment, three rail shooting segments, and a boss fight.

13. Tetris 99 (Switch) | 13th Mar - 15hrs | 5/5
hTf0TTl.jpg

This game has made me a better Tetris player! I had to learn how to do 3-wide setups and simple t-spins and I ended up winning 7 games before putting it down. I even went back to Tetris Effect and improved my high scores! I can't imagine I'd win any games now that the player based has dropped off a bit and only hardcore players are on now but I am very fond of Tetris 99 and hope Nintendo attempts more similar experiences.

14. Hitman 2016 (PS4) | 19th Mar - 40hrs | 5/5
HyFVf1u.jpg

I don't know why I bounced off this game so hard the first time I tried it years ago because I'm totally hooked on these games now. There was no map I truly didn't enjoy but I prefer the more lively stages, the more military centric ones being a bit more of a slog to get all the trophies. This game just scratches my completionist's itch so perfectly. I love doing all the different types of runs, it's almost more of a puzzle game than a stealth game. A bit bummed out I missed out on Elusive Targets but I'm playing Hitman 2 now so it's somewhat fine.

15. Sanrio Characters Picross (3DS) | 21st Mar - 28hrs | 4/5
etFHDYt.jpg

My Picross addiction must be fed! So similar to Kemono Friends Picross, this game has a problem with feeling a bit samey since most of the puzzles are faces. Otherwise, it's good ol' Picross, no complaints. Nothing new either.

16. Burnout Paradise Remastered (PS4) | 29th Mar - 34hrs | 5/5
80GFONu.jpg

I really wish I had played this when multiplayer was more active. I really miss this kind of non-cartoony but arcadey racing game, I haven't played many racing games in recent years because they became so much more obsessed with being realistic. I was really hesitant about the whole open world aspect at first but then I got to bask in the glory of the map's design philosophy of letting you drive non-stop and I was hooked. Now I get the hype, now I want a successor. I don't like the DLC, Big Surf Island, that much but Mega Jumps are fun. Maybe I'll go back and clean up more trophies at some point.

APRIL GAMES
17. Minesweeper Genius (Switch) | 21st Apr - 4hrs | 3/5
8t4hJa4.jpg

I was at a low point, I wanted a puzzle game. I thought the concept of being like Minesweeper and Picross would have been neat but it turns out this game is way too simple. It's not bespoke either, the levels are randomized but you can also brute force your way through the game fairly easily.

18. BoxBoy! (3DS) | 23rd Apr - 11hrs | 5/5
QY14TJ5.jpg

Now this is a puzzle game! It took me a while to get into the mindset this game asked of me but I was up-hooked and ended up getting every BoxBoy game and beating it just in time for the BoxBoy! + BoxGirl! release. Perfecting runs by using as few boxes as possible is such a satisfying experience. I highly recommend this game.

19. BoxBoxBoy! (3DS) | 27th Apr - 9hrs | 5/5
4tZ6N4h.jpg

In the previous game, I really enjoyed the challenge levels and they made the entire sequel based on those abilities! All of the puzzles in this game now involve using two sets of boxes, but if I remember correctly this game also has the least amount of extra challenges in the original trilogy. Also all of your costume unlocks from the first game transfer to this game! Still, fantastic game, still highly recommend.

20. Bye-Bye BoxBoy! (3DS) | 29th Apr - 8hrs | 5/5
dgRISnB.jpg

All the costumes from the last two games get transferred here too! This is the most difficult game in the series, it introduces a bunch of new abilities and I often found myself stuck. Truth be told, my playtime would be much higher if I hadn't cheated and looked up answers because this game is full of headscratchers. I also found out the BoxBoy amiibo is one of the most rare ones out there and I must have it. Recommend recommend recommend.

MAY GAMES
21. BoxBoy! + BoxGirl! (Switch) | 7th May - 15hrs | 5/5
XS8ijqm.jpg

My fascination with this franchise continues, blessed be HAL Laboratories. This game has the most content in the series with three entirely different campaigns. The single player campaign was solid, the co-op campaign was surprisingly doable as a single player, and the tall boy campaign was a great way to mix up the gameplay. I wish this game had more challenge levels after beating each of the campaigns, but that might just be because I just marathoned all the previous games in one week.

22. Picross S3 (Switch) | 17th May - 35 hrs | 5/5
EvwFog7.jpg

My Picross addiction must be fed further! If it's a Picross game by Jupiter, I'm automatically in. The new Color Picross levels are great but there needed to be much more than 30 of them. I remember being a bit disappointed in the first S game but I'm pretty happy with how this has expanded on it.

23. Donut County (Switch) | 18th May - 3hrs | 5/5
qffjgDw.jpg

This game is so cute and relaxing, I want more! Near the end the game added a new mechanic that was a lot of fun for puzzle solving. I was expecting the game to introduce more but it never happened, which is fine. The story didn't overstay its welcome, I just want more locales and levels, I want to see more of this world.

24. Gorogoa (Switch) | 18th May - 3hrs | 5/5
57QB5EJ.jpg

I might be too dumb for this game. It's gorgeous, it's mind boggling, it's... probably deep and entirely going over my head? It's so hard to explain this game, it's reminds me of the way echochrome messes with my brain. It's also like a deeply interactive comic that has no words but speaks many stories. I also got quite stumped a few times because this is still essentially a puzzle game. I gush over a lot of games but I'm having such a hard time finding a comparison to this.

25. Monster Hunter World (PS4) | 22nd May - 224hrs | 5/5
s7ChDxB.jpg

I'm so bad at this game~! I put in 224 hours into this game before getting past HR50, I must be the worst monster hunter of all time haha. Truth be told, I wasted a lot of time doing things I didn't need to. I did a lot of event quests, I made a lot of armor as a completionist in low rank, I also just idle a lot in this game because I love the music and I have windows open doing research. I started out using long sword a lot but I eventually went to charge blade and never looked back - except for when I'm lazy and use Bow. I'm not entirely sure how deep I'll get into decorations and augments and tempered beasts, but I still really enjoy hunting, I still want to collect every piece of armor, and I cannot wait for the Iceborne expansion!

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
Belarus
Main Post part 1

-------

16. Yakuza Kiwami - 32 hours
Yakuza Kiwami - almost literal remake of the very game in this Japanese series, made on the same engine as Yakuza 0. I knew about this beforehand so I started playing it with realistic expectations, yet in the end, Kiwami left me with mixed impressions. Despite improved graphics, it's still the same 2005 game from PS2 at its heart and of course, it's lacking in comparison to the brilliance of released in 2015 prequel that was 6th in the series.

The story of Yakuza Kiwami starts almost after the same moment where you left in Yakuza 0 - Kiryu returned to Tojo Clan and preparing to start his own yakuza family, but everything going to shit after his sworn brother Nishiki kills his boss and Kiryu decides to save him from the prison and take all the blame for murder. After getting a release from his 10-year sentence, Kiryu finds his clan in disarray because of the disappearance of 10 billion yen and murder of their leader, chairman Sera, and also learn that Nishki started his own family and apparently lost his goddamn mind in his pursuit for power. Unlike Yakuza 0, the story in Kiwami is not that exciting and unexpected, everything more or less predictable, cutscenes and fights direction are not as mindblowing, and the main villain is kinda weak and cliche with his "I'll become a ruler of the whole Japan!". Yes, it was like that in the original game, but still, the quality drop is too noticeable and it can't be helped.

Gameplay in Kiwami is pretty typical for this series, it's a mix of 3rd person beat 'em up with RPG parts, compact but detailed open world and a huge amount of side activities like minigames and substories. It's still fun to run around the city and look for adventures on your ass, but because of not very strong storyline it became more clear that some of those activities can be really repetitive and tedious, and even story missions can go into boring "run from point A to point B and talk with someone" scheme. But overall, Yakuza formula still works as intended and you can easily forget about time and play Kiwami through the entire evening without notice. Graphics remained the same compared to Yakuza 0, even TOO same, the game looks quite decent by modern standards, but not without weak moments like some of non-important NPC models. Story cutscenes recreated on the new engine with impressive attention to details, while playing Kiwami I was also watching on Youtube walkthrough of the original Yakuza game from PS2 and I can confirm that cutscenes are almost identical.

But despite the fact that there is not much difference comparing to the original Yakuza, not all additions that were made in Kiwami improved the game. First of all, I didn't like what they've done with the fighting system, they took it from Yakuza 0 and made it more confusing. In the original game, there was 1 fight style and 3 stat bars, you could spend gained experience points and gain new abilities and improve your health after every level up. In Kiwami they tried to take 3 fight styles from Y0 and attach them to that old 3 stat bar references, but instead of making it simple they randomly put abilities from all 3 fight styles and passive effects like health and heat gauge improvements in 3 skill trees. This lead to a confusing mess we have in Kiwami, where if you want to focus only on one fight style or find some specific skill you need to spend a lot of time to go through all 3 skill trees and carefully plan what is important to get as fast as possible and what you'll probably never use. The fact is, most of those skills are way too specific and can be used on really rare occasions, but you'll still have to buy them in order to get access for stuff you really need.

Also, they decided to add another skill tree for the 4th fight style that supposed to be a mix of all 3 fight styles (again, just like in Yakuza 0), but it was decided to tie progression in this skill tree to your relations with Majima, one of the protagonists of the prequel. And here is where developers went too far because those relations can only be improved after you beat Majima ass each time he surprise attacks you at the city - and you have to fight him DOZENS of times. Yes, you can avoid those conflicts most of the time, but there is a catch - in remake there were also added "finishers" for boss fights, at some moment during the battle boss can stop fighting and start to glow with specific color, and if you won't be quick and activate finisher of relevant to color fight style, then boss will recover a lot of health. And while you can quickly unlock those finishers for 3 regular styles, in order to unlock it for the 4th style you need beat Majima for at least 100+ fights, and this is insanely tedious and time-consuming. And you won't even need this finisher except for last 2 boss battles - but developers forgot to warn about this and without having this finisher move unlocked difficulty of those boss battles unexpectedly increases. It's disappointing that instead of simply adding some depth to Majima character (he had a very limited appearance in the original game) they decided to tie him to such dull grind mechanics and turned meetings with him into the annoying obligation.

Of course, there are positives change in Kiwami as well. The best improvement compared to the original game is extended backstory of Nishiki, they added tons of flashbacks about what happened to him after Kiryu arrest and how gone mad, and it really adds depth to his character. Though without playing prequel it's still could have been hard to care about old characters like Reina or Dojima. Another positive change is (finally!) ability to save almost anywhere and the addition of autosaves. I also really like a dedicated button to hide HUD (though still no proper photomode), but it won't be useful for everyone.

Yakuza Kiwami in really unlucky position because there is such outstading prequel nearby - no matter how you try, but it's impossible to review this game without looking at Yakuza 0. Despite being the first game in the franchise, it's really not the best starting point to start learning about Yakuza series - you simply won't understand why there is so much hype around these games and why people love them so much. But even if you played Yakuza 0 already, you also need to be careful and temper your expectations, because you can be disappointed that this remake is not as amazing as a prequel. Yakuza Kiwami feels more like big DLC to Y0, rather than a separate game, and this is how you need to approach it. It's not right to skip it completely either, because while story here is not amazing, but it still has some bright moments and important for understanding next mainline Yakuza games.

In conclusion, I want to recommend everyone who still hasn't played any Yakuza game to just stop loafing and play Yakuza 0 already. Every awesome person who already played Yakuza 0 just need to always remember that this is just a remake of the old game and you probably need to wait for a sale. For the old fans of this series who played all Yakuza games on consoles I only can say that port quality is much better than it was in case of Yakuza 0 PC release, it's not requiring top hardware to get decent performance and I haven't seen any major game-breaking glitches and bugs during my walkthrough.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
37. Warhammer 40K Space Marine
header.jpg

Finally got to reply this game to completion. It's a pretty solid shooting game, though I would've liked for it to be shorter, as the final stretch of the game didn't entertain me as much as the early parts.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
21. Steamworld Dig 2 - 23/05/2019

A month later I return (and still within schedule).

Steamworld is an interesting series but I think it's missing something in the writing component. There's a genuinely cool and interesting mythos to this series that it never really capitalizes on due to the subpar writing, which makes genuinely emotional moments fall flat.

As for the gameplay it's a fun little mix of Dig Dug and Metroid that never gets boring, and the gameplay loop of finding jewels underground and returning to town is slippery sleek and surprisingly addictive.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
38. Bionic Commando ReArmed
75a65fecc341e66104c5022b4c712b827a054c60.jpg

Finally got around to playing another game I've had for years :P
This is a pretty solid 2D Action game, though some of the grappling sections were annoying since I need to hold Up+Forward, and I tend to accidentally have Spencer sling forward instead of wanting to go up to a ledge.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
39. Team Sonic Racing
220px-Team_Sonic_Racing_Cover.jpg

Beat the main Adventure mode, but I've still got a bunch of challenges and the grand prix races to clear. I really njoy playing this game but it shines in utilizing its team mechanics when playing with others.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
Main Post

#19. Observation
A sci-fi thriller with a horror tinge to it, Observation is a short but fun ride. Sadly though, I must confess I didn't really love the story as much as I'd hoped to... it came across as a pale imitation of something like 2001: A Space Odyssey. CohhCarnage positively described it as being like a Netflix show, and that's about right... except I don't view that as a positive. But still, it's entertaining enough that it's an easy recommendation if you like sci-fi. I highly recommend picking it up on sale though, I'd probably be much less satisfied with it if I had paid the full $25 asking price... Epic Mega Sale ends on June 13th, so pick it up ASAP if it looks interesting to you.
4/5 - "Good"

#20. Assassin's Creed Odyssey

I decided a while back that I was finished with Odyssey, but forgot to add it to my list... so here it is. Kassandra is likeable, but the main story wasn't particularly gripping... so once the gameplay loops of combat and exploration got stale, I was no longer compelled to keep playing. Still, I managed to get approximately 45 hours of fun out of it. Some of the gameplay design is highly questionable with regards to monetization, but fortunately that was never too much of an issue during my time with it since I was definitely not focusing on advancing the story.
4/5 - "Good"

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
header.jpg

Game #56 - Shovel Knight
Time: 6 hours

Been putting this off for years even tho I always heard how good it was, after playing a few 2d games on the Switch lately and since this was on sale before it increases in price permantely I decided to double dip on the Switch and finally play it, and it's better than I could ever imagine. Near perfect 2d platformer reminiscent of the classic Megaman games (except, at least in Shovel Knight's case, using melee instead of shooting), this is one of those games where every aspect just oozes quality. Fantastic art style with a ton of awesome little animation touches and ton of variety in the levels, great gameplay with lot's of items to collect and use, awesome soundtrack, good lenghty campaign with new game+ unlocking at the end, great bosses, hard but not super punishing, like I said, just fantastic overall and one of the best platformers I ever played. Bonus points for how crisp it looks on the Switch's screen, really makes me want to get the Megaman games on the it now instead of another platform.

Main Post

Spyware

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Weekly update 21!

Almost another one game week but I managed to squeeze in those last achievements in The Flame in the Flood before midnight!

Kt8wdK0.png

46. Generation Zero (PC) | 20th May - 59hrs | 4/5

Generation Zero is a hard game to love and I really get the mixed reception it has gotten. The world is a bit empty and when you do find something it's just another copy-pasted house complete with another identical garage and the same car you just looted a moment before. The story is drip-fed through notes and recordings and the gameplay loop is just shoot and loot. But I don't really care. The shooting feels just as good in this as it does in theHunter (which the small team who is working on this game also works on and it's the same engine) and every time I survive an encounter with robots I feel so good. It's intense and even a bit scary at times! It is also gorgeous and as a swede it is extra exciting to see the environments from right outside my door finally represented well in a game. When I started I was baffled by how good the rain looked and the atmosphere the thunder gave the game. When I moved further north I was absolutely stunned by the weather system. Not gonna say more about that because it's amazing to just walk into. I loved the story and the way it was told, but I have never had a problem with "audio logs" before either. I can't call the experience perfect, I did run into a couple of bugs and whatnot, but it's going to be high on my GotY list anyway. I am also super excited to see what the devs will do because they are doing good work on patches and being super transparent with everything. I expect to come back to this game a bunch more this year.​

EeWa2NP.png

47. The Flame in the Flood (PC) | 26th May - 45hrs | 5/5

I have been playing this game on and off for about two years, mostly just playing it a little when I didn't want to start anything new. It has been a great game to just pick up and play like that, a sort of relaxing experience even tho the game can be really brutal if you are unlucky. I finally decided to really aim for those achievements and 100% it. It wasn't easy but it was very fun! Surviving on the river for 200 miles wasn't actually the hardest one, instead I had a lot of trouble with not killing any animals for the first 20 days. I thought that would be easy but I have basically always played this game as a hunter, which made the apparently dreaded achievement for not eating plants during the first 40 days a breeze instead. I love games that have achievements for dying in various ways and in this game it led me to a whole bunch of animations I hadn't seen before. Scout being almost too weak to get off the raft at a stop when close to death is a great detail, and it hurts to see her like that. In general the animations, overall art style and the music are just delightful. II will probably still come back and play this a little now and then even tho I'm already "done".​

Master Post!

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I was planning on updating every month....my bad....

Main Post

Game 5 . River City Ransom - Jan 27 to Jan 28 - 1.5 Hours - 3/5 - NES
- First real experience with beat-em-ups and I enjoyed it for the most part. Definitely has some issues and is a little dated but it was quite well made for the time.

Game 6 . Spyro the Dragon - Jan 25 to Feb 10 - 6 Hours - 4/5 - PS4
- Such a well made game, such a well made remaster. Absolutely loved it. Played this with my with my fiance as it is her favorite game and it was a blast re-experiencing it with her.

Game 7 . Kingdom Hearts III - Jan 25 to Feb 28 - 44.5 Hours - 5/5 - PS4
- I know this game has its flaws and it's issues but holy shit this game is a masterpiece to me. The gameplay was incredibly fun, the story was what you came to expect for Kingdom Hearts and god if this game didn't make me feel overwhelming emotion from the first note of music.

Game 8 . Spyro Year of the Dragon - Feb 11 - Mar 10 - 12.5 Hours - 4/5 - PS4
- Second game in the remastered trilogy. There were things in this that I loved that the other games didn't do, like the little skits before and after levels that I really wished the other entries had. Introducing other characters was a nice way to expand the fun.

Game 9 . Mega Man - Mar 1 to Mar 10 - 3 Hours - 3/5 - NES
- My first original Mega Man game. It was honestly alright. Nothing extraordinary about it but you can definitely see how this series build such a long legacy and tons of entries with.

Game 10 . Final Fight - Mar 10 to Mar 12 - 2 Hours - 3/5 - SNES
- Second attempt at a beat-em-up and honestly....didn't like it as much as the first one. Found some of the game was kind of glitchy but I enjoyed it for the most part as I do most games.

Game 11 . Far Cry 5 - Mar 13 to Mar 23 - 24 Hours - 3/5 - XBO
- This game seemed to have such potential but it was hampered by some weird story choices and bloated gameplay loop. It had tons of moments that I quite enjoyed and had a blast at times.

Game 12 . Spyro: Riptos Rage - Mar 11 to Mar 24 - 7.5 Hours - 4/5 - PS4
- The last in the trilogy. Game play was pretty solid outside a lot of the sections with the other characters. Nonetheless, a great conclusion to the series.

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017
17. Observer (Steam, 2019/05/03, 7.5 hrs)

It's like they made a cyberpunk fever dream with a mid 80s mindset and understanding of technology. The retro-future dystopian style of Blade Runner is strong with this phycology horror adventure. You are the law, voiced by Rutger Hauer. Yes, Rutger Hauer is the Blade Runner in this game. You investigate a situation in a locked and run down apartment complex. Needless to say, things go south quickly. Lots of hacking into neurology implants and diving into the corrupted fragments of deceased conciseness in order to make sense of it all. The visuals are a tour de force and borderline demo scene material. The atmosphere as thick as it gets. Observer is a great experience to be had.

18. Downwell (PS4, 2019/05/06, 2 hrs)

Needed some comfort gaming food and revisited this classis. It took me a couple to tries to shake off the rust, but I managed to clear the game again. Going Downwell is always a good time and very satisfying.

19. Sonic Mania (Steam, 2019/05/18, 9.7 hrs)

I'm not a diehard Sonic fan, but this is probably as good as it gets. This is peak Sonic to me. I really enjoyed the level design and music. The later stages had too many cheap instant deaths, which really annoyed me.

20. Slipstream (Steam, 2019/05/18, 1 hrs)

It's not Outrun, but this arcade racer got a similar flow. The focus is a bit more on racing and beating other drivers. The gameplay got supplemented with a drifting mechanic. There are various modes, tracks and cars. The player sees pretty quickly all the game got to offer, but there's definitely some replay value. I really enjoy the flow of the sprite scaling without pop ins and the nice soundtrack. I wouldn't play Slipstream for hours, but it's great for a quick race here and there.

[index]

watdaeff4

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
21. Spyro the Dragon (PS4)
Recommend? Yes, it's a fun 3D platformer, but there are better out there
This is the first time I ever played any Spyro game. It's a solid game for when it came out and holds up pretty well. It's not a top-tier game in the genre but a good game nonetheless

22. MLB the Show '18 (PS4)
Recommend? Absolute must for baseball fans
This series is the best there is for baseball videogames. I stay away from Diamond Dynasty and the F2P aspects of it, but RttS and Franchise are phenomenal

23. Cave Story+ (Switch)
Recommend? If you want a short game to complete
Maybe I had my expectations too high from reading all the positive comments regarding this game. Maybe, despite already knowing that it was made by only one person, I expected more from the game, but the game just was kinda 'meh' for me.

24. Punch-out (Switch)
Recommend? It's an all-time classic
One of the very best NES games, period. Still holds up well to this day.

25. Red Dead Redemption 2 (XB1)
Recommend? The gameplay isn't the best, but everything else about this game is phenomenal.

26. Uncharted Golden Abyss (Vita)
Recommend? If you are an Uncharted fan
I'm a big Uncharted fan so I really enjoyed this game. Some parts of it were annoying (the forced touchscreen bits and forced gyro controls everytime you crossed a beam), but still was a good game

27. Far Cry 5 (XB1)
Recommend? If you like Ubisoft Open-World and Far Cry, then this is a good game (which I do)
I liked the slight tweaks to evolve the concept of story progression in this game and the Guns/Fangs for Hire elements. I enjoyed FC4 a lot more however. Look forward to playing New Dawn despite this.

28. Devil May Cry 2 (XB1)
Recommend? Only if you are like me and trying to play through the series

LonestarZues

Oct 27, 2017
Weekly update 21!

Almost another one game week but I managed to squeeze in those last achievements in The Flame in the Flood before midnight!

Kt8wdK0.png

46. Generation Zero (PC) | 20th May - 59hrs | 4/5

Generation Zero is a hard game to love and I really get the mixed reception it has gotten. The world is a bit empty and when you do find something it's just another copy-pasted house complete with another identical garage and the same car you just looted a moment before. The story is drip-fed through notes and recordings and the gameplay loop is just shoot and loot. But I don't really care. The shooting feels just as good in this as it does in theHunter (which the small team who is working on this game also works on and it's the same engine) and every time I survive an encounter with robots I feel so good. It's intense and even a bit scary at times! It is also gorgeous and as a swede it is extra exciting to see the environments from right outside my door finally represented well in a game. When I started I was baffled by how good the rain looked and the atmosphere the thunder gave the game. When I moved further north I was absolutely stunned by the weather system. Not gonna say more about that because it's amazing to just walk into. I loved the story and the way it was told, but I have never had a problem with "audio logs" before either. I can't call the experience perfect, I did run into a couple of bugs and whatnot, but it's going to be high on my GotY list anyway. I am also super excited to see what the devs will do because they are doing good work on patches and being super transparent with everything. I expect to come back to this game a bunch more this year.​

Master Post!

Did you play in a group or solo? I was interested in it up until I read some impressions that you would need a group.

22. MLB the Show '18 (PS4)
Recommend? Absolute must for baseball fans
This series is the best there is for baseball videogames. I stay away from Diamond Dynasty and the F2P aspects of it, but RttS and Franchise are phenomenal

Did you mistype 18 instead of 19? I'm curious about trying out the new one if the changes from 18 to 19 are substantial enough for RttS and franchise mode.

Spyware

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Did you play in a group or solo? I was interested in it up until I read some impressions that you would need a group.
I had no help at all in my one full playthrough of about 35-40 hours. The rest of the playtime was spent being a co-op-buddy to my brother and my SO (separately). I enjoyed both experiences about the same. It is much harder alone but loot is easy to find and there is no penalty for dying besides having to run back from any unlocked safe house. Playing solo made the game more atmospheric, I really felt isolated and alone.

LonestarZues

Oct 27, 2017
I had no help at all in my one full playthrough of about 35-40 hours. The rest of the playtime was spent being a co-op-buddy to my brother and my SO (separately). I enjoyed both experiences about the same. It is much harder alone but loot is easy to find and there is no penalty for dying besides having to run back from any unlocked safe house. Playing solo made the game more atmospheric, I really felt isolated and alone.

Good to hear. Might pick it up and make it my summer game in between releases.

oggob

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney, Australia
Last night... RAYMAN LEGENDS (PS4)... FUCKING FINALLY!!!!!

The Daily Challenges can go and get fucked!

Finally had the Platinum pop after reaching the final level of Awesomeness... after the passing of weeks and months, it's done and it's now deleted!

*deep breath*

Feels good...

*sees Rayman Legends on Vita still to be completed*

Shit... maybe the second half of the year.

Last edited:

Illusionary

Oct 25, 2017
Manchester, UK
Last night... RAYMAN LEGENDS (PS4)... FUCKING FINALLY!!!!!

The Daily Challenges can go and get fucked!

Finally had the Platinum pop after reaching the final level of Awesomeness... after the passing of weeks and months, it's done and it's not deleted!

*deep breath*

Feels good...

*sees Rayman Legends on Vita still to be completed*

Shit... maybe the second half of the year.
Congrats - that's one that I know from experience takes a lot of time, dedication and persistence. I still don't get some of the insane tricks that those topping the leaderboards frequently seemed to be making use of.

LonestarZues

Oct 27, 2017
Master Post

43. Halo 3: ODST - It was my first time playing thru it and decided to finally dive into during my current playthrough of the Halo series. I don't really like the vehicle sections in Halo games, but this was at least serviceable. It was also fun to play around as all the different people and it really added to the human experience and lore of the series. Music as in all Halo games is top tier.

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
Main Post
Game #32; Overwatch (PC)
47947530961_cda372dbaa_o.jpg

So Overwatch has been out for a while but only these last couple months have I actually owned the damn game.
Overall its still a fun mp game that you can enjoy solo but the real fun imo is playing with some friends as the game chat is toxic (think CSGO level if you have played).

The new characters for the most part are pretty fun to play and Ill keep coming back to it from time to time. The game for sure needs more consistent updates or at least larger updates if they are gonna keep the same pace. It doesnt nearly get enough new content to really keep in the rotation constantly.

Game #33: Monster Hunter World (PC)
47947491577_408f968944_o.jpg

A Whole New World

Monster Hunter is a series I have always enjoyed but have always hated that the only place I could play it was on 3DS for example, so now that the latest instalment is on PC,PS4 and Xbox One
it was waaaay more interesting for me.

After playing this with some buddies and my gf this game took over our lives in the best way. It was fun and engaging with huge monsters and awesome armour to get from them. The game will be receiving an expansion later this year and I hope I am able to take part in it.

The game can be found for pretty cheap so go ahead and buy it and for everyone on Xbox it was more recently added onto Gamepass. With friends this is a must play.

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia

RwDVtlb.png

[18/5/19 - 27/5/19] ~21 hours, 35 minutes. All 120 stars.

The Dunkey video that was posted here a couple of weeks ago had me hankering for a replay of this. It's the first time I've gone back to it in about fifteen years (holy hell it doesn't feel that long since DS version came out), and I didn't even play much that time due to the awful d-pad controls. I probably haven't completed the game fully like this since ~2000.

And wow does it hold up! Or rather - it doesn't just 'hold up'. It still feels better than a lot of modern 3D games imo. Controlling Mario is fun and always felt precise (once you're used to his physics and the momentum of each action). The levels are super fun and varied (although fuck Tiny Huge Island tbh), and everything is just dripping in nostalgia for me. The music is amazing and I love the castle as a hub world so damn much.

The only thing holding the game back at this point is the camera, which can get in the way a lot if you're not constantly babying it. It's not gamebreaking at all, but it did result in some frustration at times when it would directly cause a death. Also playing on a GameCube controller made some of the moves kind of hard to pull off consistently due to its' deep triggers, so I probably should have tracked down a Classic controller to make things easier on myself. Especially given the game kinda kicked my ass at times! I thought I'd roll in and just stomp the game really quickly given I remembered almost everything pretty clearly, but getting 100 coins on some of the levels was pretty damn difficult.

Overall I had an amazing time with this all over again. 9.5/10

watdaeff4

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ok and same here! I typically buy 1 at launch and buy the next at the All-Star break when they put it on sale.
Yeah, thats a good way to do it. I also am assuming '19 is worth buying as unlike EA, San Diego does a good job of adding and refining the game every year.

Truly is the best sports franchise in video gaming without a doubt IMO.

Oct 27, 2017
Main Post

Looks like I forgot my update before I started up Dark Souls.

22. Assassin's Creed: Altair's Chronicles - DS
Completed 4/12/19
Score - 7/10

Another game that has been in the backlog for probably over a decade. Happy to finally knock it out and consider it completed. It's definitely a simple little game but I did find it fun. Not much of a story and it was pretty short overall. Some of the platforming is a mess with the camera angles but overall it was fun to play through it. It did make me want to get back into Assassin's Creed and play some of the many games I own. So many games, so little time.

assassins-creed-altairs-chronicles_en_screenshot_1.jpg

23. Guardians of the Galaxy - PS4
Completed 4/18/19
Score - 8/10

Got this at the library to see if I could play it before it was delisted. I am glad I did. I heard mixed reviews and sometimes the Telltale model can bore me a bit. I ended up really enjoying the story and journey with this one and the music was pretty great. I did run into a few bugs which is standard for their games, but nothing that prevented me from completing it. If you can play it and you are a fan of the material, I would definitely give it a go.

Screenshot_Rocketwithgun_watermarked_1920x1080.0.jpg

24. Final Fantasy: Theatrythym - 3DS
Completed 4/26/19
Score - 8/10

I have been playing this on and off for quite some time. It's simple and fairly basic but I love the music and it was a nice game to just mess around with. I hear Curtain Call is much better and has more meat to it so I will eventually jump on that one. FF has so much great music it really is incredible.

hqdefault.jpg

25. Dark Souls: Remastered -PS4
Completed 5/24/19
Score - 10/10

Praise the Sun! I finally get it. I waited way too long to finally play through this game. I always feared I wouldn't be able to knock it out and would just be frustrated. I should've known better after I beat Bloodborne and the Old Hunters a few years ago. They quickly became one of my favorite games of all time. It didn't beat BB for me, probably due to me playing that first, but it sure is close. I absolutely loved how everything was connected and finding every new shortcut. This game is such a gem and I already feel like I did after BB, I need a break but I also want more! I will eventually jump on DS 2/3 and the other games but I definitely do need to take a little break. Everything about this game was magic, even the parts that were such a pain in the ass (Tomb of the Giants). Blighttown wasn't that bad, but I also heard that is was awful on PS3/360 and not so much now. Tomb of the Giants was rough but I loved that boss fight and the feeling of finally figuring it out. What a game!

hbqiS6U4Jtvc2pVzpFj4ck.jpg

26. Dark Souls: Artorias of the Abyss -PS4
Completed 5/24/19
Score - 10/10

I wasn't originally going to include this separately but then the mfer in the image below showed himself. I absolutely loved this DLC and while not as amazing at The Old Hunters, it was fantastic in it's own right. The bosses were all fantastic and I rank Kalameet as one of the hardest I have faced in my short time with the Soulsborne games. Manus reminded me a lot of the Orphan of Kos but not as difficult and the Sanctuary Guardian was just plain fun. I didn't have as much trouble with Artorias based on what I read from others...but Kalameet was something else. I don't know how many times I died and when I finally took him down I almost didn't believe it. Then I got his ring and it seemed like a cruel joke. Dark Souls...

Black-Dragon-Kalameet.jpg

Last edited:

Spamlynguist

Oct 27, 2017
23. Guardians of the Galaxy - PS4
Completed 4/18/19
Score - 8/10

Got this at the library to see if I could play it before it was delisted. I am glad I did. I heard mixed reviews and sometimes the Telltale model can bore me a bit. I ended up really enjoying the story and journey with this one and the music was pretty great. I did run into a few bugs which is standard for their games, but nothing that prevented me from completing it. If you can play it and you are a fan of the material, I would definitely give it a go.

I completely agree with your thoughts. I also didn't pick it up back when it released because of the mixed reviews. Picked it up when I saw GOG's post about Telltale's games being delisted and quite liked it! It was much better than I was let to believe.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Main Post

28. Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon - 2h - 27.04

bloodstained-curse-of-the-moon-screen-01-ps4-us-24may2018

Short and sweet. A small taste of the next Igarashi, CotM really feels like old school Castlevania. The art is gorgeous and the gameplay really tight. This honestly looks better to me than the main game. There's 4 distinct characters that control slightly differently and that have their own special power that can also be used for traversal. Together with stages that are composed of several paths to the end, this gives the game some extra replayability.

29. Minit - 2h50 - 29.04

IMG_8786.jpg

Minit is a one minute Zelda game. It's really ingeniously designed in the way it is constructed in order to never have to cheat on its premise. It's up to the player to make it possible to explore this whole world in under a minute. And it's not a particularly small world either. Full of quirky characters and little homages, Minit is over the top charming. The art style and sound design are large parts of it. There's a New Game + but i haven't gone through it yet. Saving it for a replay. I loved this.

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia

LbjbR2c.png

[27/5/19 - 28/5/19] ~4 hours.

This was a short, enjoyable experience that I felt ended in a fairly unsatisfying way. After looking into the reception of the game, it seems that's a fairly common opinion? I think I have slightly different reasons, though. I have absolutely no issue with this kind of ending - I just wasn't a big fan of the execution here. There was so much build up, only for everything to unravel and be resolved within a matter of minutes? It just felt kinda rushed. I think I would have been far more onboard with the ending if things had unraveled more slowly, so the final revelations didn't feel quite so underwhelming.

I still had a great time with it overall, though.

7.5/10

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Main Post

30. Gunman Clive - 50m - 12.05

gunman_clive.jpg

A short run and shooter that doesn't really do anything interesting or different apart from the art style, which is admittedly pretty cool. A solid hour or so of mindless fun and little else.

31. Gunman Clive 2 - 2h - 20.05

gunman-clive-2-cover.cover_large.jpg

A more interesting game than the first, this sequel tries to be more varied and challenging, which it does manage. Unfortunately it also has some very obnoxious levels towards the end. It ends up relying too much on pixel perfect jumping without the mechanical tightness to go along with it. It also falls into cheap tricks for challenge, which is a shame, since a lot of the new stuff is actually good. From 3d levels to dinossaurs to panda riding, the devs crammed a lot of welcome surprises into the game. A more fulfilling game than its predecessor without a doubt, despite its flaws.

32. Wolfenstein: The Old Blood - 16h20 - 24.05

oldbloodinsert3.jpg

Though narratively it's far from The New Order, gameplay wise i think this standalone DLC has a lot of new, interesting things going for it. The perk system is pared down but more accessible, though i missed having to stealth kill commanders for intel. Once i got enough to unlock the perk they became just another enemy. Sawed off shotgun is beastly and kinda evoked an old school Doom feeling. There are a lot of new guns and enemies, though the second half of the game is a bit disappointing on the latter. The level design is just as good as on the first game, and the secret retro levels are a joy to find and play through. I did find surprising that this felt like a full fledged game, both in length and in gameplay scope, though it is kinda thin on the narrative side.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
41. Splatterhouse (1 hour)
The combination of stiff controls and so many hazards, especially in later levels, hasn't really aged well. Which is a shame, because this game has a really cool aesthetic and theme going for it.

Full list to date

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We got a quick and easy 4 more

28. Castlevania Chronicles (Playstation) | 23rd May - 3hrs | 4/5

I had no idea this game existed, but I'm glad I got the chance to play it. It definitely more like a direct remake of the original Castlevania than any other Castlevania game, and they add some cool stuff in there. I like red haired Simon even. It only loses points because of the uneven difficulty (bosses are easy mode) and the fact that the vibes are a little off. It doesn't have quite the atmosphere of Super IV and like... there's an area where you fight little clown dolls... it ain't right.

29. Castlevania: the Adventure Rebirth (Wii) | 23rd May - 4hrs | 5/5

This game is amazing dude omg. Basically a 2D Castlevania made with the design sensibilities of the DS games. It's short but unforgiving. It looks super cool. The enemy variety is great and the sprites are great. It has the best looking Dracula sprite of all time. It's such an improvement over what the Game Boy game was, and you can see references to it here and there like with the eyeballs. Just a really great game, maybe my favorite 2D Castlevania.

30. Flappy Bird 3D (Wii U) | 28th May - 1hr | 5/5

This game is a 10, the best high-score based videogame of all time. The port is pretty good too. I kept playing until I got to 200 which took about an hour.

31. Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards | 29th May - 3hrs | 4/5

This was a huge nostalgia trip for me. I love this game looks, I love the copy abilities, I love how long it is. I haven't played it in well over a decade now so it was good to blow through it again, it's definitely much shorter than I remember. I finally got the true ending for the first time. This is probably my favorite Kirby game for nostalgia alone.

FRANKEINSTEIN

Oct 27, 2017
AZ
bulletstorm_full_clip_edition-1.jpg

39. Bulletstorm (PS4) | 27th May - 8hrs | 4/5
Really like this game quite a bit. At first glance looks just like a dudebro game but I think it has actual good characters (maybe not Sarrano) with a decent story. But the gameplay is so good. Maybe a little too linear but the score attack is so much fun. I didn't do any of the mp but me and 3 friends messed with it last gen and had a blast. I don't know anyone else with it this gen so couldn't mess with it this go around. I did try the Duke Nukem mode for about 5 min. It's pretty bad.

Bosh

Oct 26, 2017
MAIN THREAD
COMPLETED | 26 (HALFWAY THERE!)

Game_7436.jpg

#24: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (5/21/2019) | 9/10 | PS4 | ~ 30.5 Hours | Recommend: Y
# Overall -9 | Another gem from the Yakuza series
Gameplay -8.6 | The new engine looks great and plays even better. Extra Majima levels great touch
Sound -9 | Good soundtrack with killer voice acting
Story/Online -9 | Both the main game and extra side content have some fantastic storytelling
Asking Price- 9| There is a lot of content and most of it is really really good

The Yakuza series is fantastic and the remastered version of #2 only shows that the series was built with love from the start. While the main game has you going around familiar stomping grounds it never grows old as the dark main story and fun side content keep you running from street to street. The extra short content added to the game called Majima's Saga story is fantastic, especially if you have played Yakuza 0

48535de3d8e103db9fc432187987bcdae1ad1e34_128.jpg

#25: Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Justice for All (5/27/2019 ) | 8/10 | System | ~ 19 Hours | Recommend: Y
# Overall -8 | Fantastic improvement over the first title, improving the pace of the game
Gameplay -8.4 | Cases are dramatic as ever as Phoenix fights for his clients.
Sound -8 | Only a few tracks but a few are insanely catchy
Story/Online -9 | Cases have fantastic stories to them and move along the general story of the series nicely
Asking Price-8 | Does not overstay its welcome and bring a good amount of content

I enjoyed the first Ace Attorney game but I found myself getting board through
stretches. In the second game to the series they took all the high's from #1 and improved the pace greatly. There where multiple highlight cases but the last one took so many wild hooks and turns, I can't wait to see more in #3.

1559195666_void-bastards.png

#26: Void Bastards (5/29/2019 ) | 7/10 | Xbox One | ~ 8 Hours | Recommend: Y
# Overall -7 | Fun space shooter only hampered by lack of maps leading to repetition.
Gameplay -8.2 | Art style is fantastic, upgrades are well presented as well as fun to use.
Sound -7 | Game has great tension built through sound. Not a ton of sound content to pick from

Story/Online -7 | Serviceable story to keep you moving along.
Asking Price-7.6 | If you like the loop you could keep playing this for a very long time.

Game is enjoyable shooter that takes you scavenging around ships blasting at dangerous enemies as you find upgrades to get better and move the story along. While the loop is very enjoyable the lack of ship layout varieties does creep into your enjoyment
negatively over time. While the first 6 1/2 hours I was looking into every ship I found, the last hour and a half I rushed through ships and pushed my food/gas to the limits so I could skip over as many ships as I could to end the game. The upgrades in the game are fun to use and the game as great tension as you push your oxygen and health to the limits to find that valuable item.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Main Post

33. Halo: ODST - 7h20 - 28.05

halo-3-odst-gallery-006-full-screen-1920x1080-4f23b148f92e4efaa01eb551acccd599.jpg

A step up from Halo 3. I like how the game is structured, a lot. Though i wish that New Mombasa would be a more interesting place to explore. It's all very samey, which is a recurrent problem with Halo games from what i gather. That being said, alternating the jazzy city exploration with the more focused missions focusing on different characters is pretty cool, and it gives everyone in the team their time to shine. The story is simple but engaging, but i had no patience to look for the audio logs to get the rest of it. The gameplay feels really good, and the level and encounter design are of variable quality. I tended to find the contained missions much more playable than the city sections. It's also the easiest one in the series so far. The soundtrack is awesome and the art style works really well with the tone of the game.

34. Gears of War 4 - 10h50 - 28.05

Gears4_Screenshot_Guardian_combat.jpg

Gears 4 starts really strong and then kinda just fizzles out on the second half. There's just not enough good ideas or design here to carry it. It has pretty good shooting but not many lively things to shoot at. The story is anemic and the dialogue atrocious. I'm hard pressed to find a more straight up unfunny game. It's college jock tryhard the show. I really hope The Coalition get some decent writers going forward, for everyone's benefit. This all sound terrible but i genuinely enjoyed it in an extremely mindless kind of way. It's a stunning game to look at and the raw gameplay is satisfying. It's just a shame that everything else falls short.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
header.jpg

Game #57 - Yoku's Island Express

What a wonderful game this was, top to bottom one of those cases where I liked pretty much everything about it (or almost). I should say that I'm biased because the "metroidvania" genre is one of my favorite genres and even tho it seems we have more and more of those each day (to think that just a few years you could barely find any!), I feel like this one is not only one of the best, but it certainly rises above most and even people tired of the genre should not overlook it. A brilliant combination of pinball and platforming, with gorgeous graphics, super cute characters, great level and world design and some actual compelling side content (it's mostly fetch quests but at least you have narrative reasons to be a completionist instead of just collecting more missile containers), I would say this is near perfect, if only for the fact that it can be a little finicky because of it's nature as a pinball game (sometimes the ball will just get away from you and fall down a cliff, or you cant do a precise jump to get a collectible like you would if you had full control of the character like a normal game, which was one of the reasons I didnt explore for more collectibles after I finished the game) but that is a very small nitpick. Just fantastic overall and a must for fans of the genre.

header.jpg

Game #58 - Gato Roboto
Time: 3 hours

And we keep the metroidvania train rolling with this neat new game from Devolver (easily one of the best indie publishers at the moment), where you play as a cat in a mech suit. Do I need to say more? Ok fine. The best way I can describe Gato Roboto is "competent". Or "polished" I guess. It does what it sets out to do very well, but it's very short (my completion was 82% from those 3 hours so its not like I skipped a lot of stuff) and certainly not very original. It plays great (I love how fast your character moves), it has good level design and a cute story, with a 8bit gameboy-esque artstyle (including being in black and white) and soundtrack, and it certainly checks off all the metroidvania marks, it just doesnt do anything else beyond that. I enjoyed it a lot and it's very cheap compared to most indies these days, so I would easily recomend it, just know going in that it will scratch the metroidvania itch for a short while and that's about it.

Main Post

5pectre

Nov 16, 2017
16. Super Mario 3D World (Wii U)
2nd time playing all the way through this one, this time coop with my daughter. It was an absolute blast. So much fun when you can play more than 1 player at a time, that way we can help eachother out in tricky situations.
Definitely a Top 3 Mario platform games in my book.

5/5

D75Ndk7WkAEMV9L.jpg:large

main thread

Oct 26, 2017
Belarus
Main Post part 1

-------

17. Bionic Commando: Rearmed - 3.5 hours
A forgotten remake of original Bionic Commando game from NES, made by people who created Payday series shortly after. This game is good but quite peculiar - gameplay is built around the protagonist's bionic arm, which is working as a hook for attaching to platforms and other surfaces. Problem is, usual for genre instincts are not working here - protagonist can't jump (and that's in a platforming game!), to move around the levels you need to swing with your arm and be very precise with angles and timings. Such unusual mechanics are very disconcerting at first and lead to a lot of dumb falls and deaths. Bionic Commando: Rearmed starting to challenge the player right from the start and prepare him to what to expect next, because it won't become any easier even when you get used to the controls.

Even if you won't give up right away, the game won't cut you any slack anyway. While the length of most of the levels (except the final one) is not very long, you'll be able to quickly run through them only on the easiest difficulty. The number of lives is limited, and if you'll die too often you'll have to start the level from scratch - and there is a lot of things that will help you in loosing as many lives as possible. Bottomless pits, armies of armed soldiers, falling platforms, various traps, and at the end of every stage - mandatory boss fight, each with their own weaknesses. You can learn about those weaknesses when you hack terminals that are hidden everywhere and contain important information that you can use against another boss. As for rewards, you can get new weapons or equipment that will help you in the fight and unlock access to the next zones.

I really like the style and music of this game, and overall I left it with mostly positive impressions. But I must admit, I have finished this game this time on the easy difficulty - I remember too well who much I suffered back in 2008 when I tried to beat it on normal difficulty.
I didn't really want to experience this suffering again even for nostalgia sake, so if you are going to test your might walkthrough of this game can take up to 5-7 hours, unlike mine 3.5 hours. Also, there is almost a hundred challenge rooms and local co-op, so if you are going to aim for 100% completion it can take even twice longer.

In conclusion, I want to say a few things about the quality of the PC port. Despite seeing a lot of criticism on Steam forums about how it's impossible to even run this game on modern rigs, Bionic Commando: Rearmed launched for me without any additional fixes after the first try, on Windows 10 with all latest updates. There is a lot of settings in menu, it supports screen resolutions up to 5K and probably even higher, you can also rebind keyboard keys. The only problem that I encountered was a bug with the hacking minigame - if you set the resolution higher than 1080p you won't see game objects on the screen area and it will break the minigame, so in order to fix this issue I had to manually switch to 1080p before accessing every terminal and then go back to 5K after hacking was complete. But other than that, Bionic Commando: Rearmed is fully playable from start to finish and should work on modern hardware without any problems. So, my final advice - if you are looking for hardcore games, wait for a sale and get this game, it has plenty of that.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
41. Strider 2
7741_front.jpg

Beat the main 5 stages. Game does get a little tougher later on esp. if one is aiming for a higher ranking and score but I rather enjoyed my time with it, despite some bizarre slowdowns

42. Crash Team Racing
2591_front.jpg

Completed Adventure mode with Coco. Still as fun as I remember it as a kid. Funnily enough during Pinstripe boss, I misjumped and almost fell off the track so I drifted, hopped and drifted to the other side and managed to avoid falling off, which was a pretty cool moment for me XP.

43. Duke Dashington Remastered
header.jpg

I like to think of this game as a Puzzle game than a platformer. Dashington must navigate through a screen filled with obstacles and hazards to clear it and later screens in order to find the treasure at the end. He can dash Up, Right or Left only, if he hits something that stops his momentum, he will fall down but can still dash Right or Left.
The trick is to properly time your dashes to navigate through screens in order to clear them and generally if you memorized the stage patterns you can clear each screen really fast.
Dashington must clear a screen in under 10 seconds(?) else he will be crushed by the collapsing temple or mine he is in, and generally he has enough time to clear even with a few mistakes by the player.
It's a simple but fun game IMO and recommend it for fans of puzzle games.

Last edited:

FRANKEINSTEIN

Oct 27, 2017
AZ
shadow-complex-remastered.jpg

40. Shadow Complex (PS4) | 31st May - 4hrs | 4/5
Gameplay still holds up but being a side scrolling metroidvania that was bound to be the case. Kinda ugly to look at now though. And the story... generic as hell. But I love me some metroidvania so all the negatives are forgiven.

SamuelG

Jul 11, 2018
New Jersey
Here's my May update, and here's the master post!

24) Days Gone (Ps4)

Meh. It was an okay zombie game. Don't have much else to say about it.

25) Dollhouse (PC)

A decent enough Slender/Outlast styled horror game. Not really special, but kind of fun.

26) Observation (Ps4)

I really enjoyed this one. Lovely world, fun gameplay, super interesting.

27) Bubsy: Paws on Fire! (PC)

I don't know why I do this to myself. Easily one of the worst games I played this year.

28) Stories Untold (PC)

I've been meaning to get to this for a while now and I'm super glad I did. I enjoyed it a lot.

29) Oxenfree (PC)

Another one I've been meaning to get to for a while. And another one I'm super glad I got to. Loved it.

Palomitero

Jan 2, 2018
Barcelona
Main post here

May update

L0ok6Od.png

22- ISLANDERS -3h- 3/5

Great city Builder with simple but entertaining mechanics, the music is so relaxing you may fall asleep.

Comfy game.

0gSOT80.jpg

23- Lorelai -6h- 3/5

Third game of the series, a lot less dark compared with the other 2 games previous released.

The story is great but gives me more a Life is Strange vibes instead of a cat lady/downfall game, a bit disappointed with the writing but a good game overall.

KYs90f5.jpg

24- Slay the Spire -27h- 4/5

Amazing deck Builder+roguelike game with a lot of options and possible builds, 3 classes each one with their respective deck and skills. I must say the music gets VERY repetitive.

Dangerous time-sink tho, it really hook you up with nearly infinite options.

25- Pokemon USUM -34h14m- 3/5

One of the best Pokémon content wise, despite de HORRIBLE pace the game have at the first hours, with the scenes and unnecessary stops every minute.

Good post-game content and a lot of things to do.

26- A Plague Tale -15h- 4/5

Unique experience, the best in 2019 probably. Great combination of setup, OST, amazing world building and interesting characters, you can't get enough of Amicia & Hugo.

The gameplay may not be for everyone, although it's mostly a walking Simulator with some puzzles, the game have some fighting and stealth mechanics.

Really enjoyed it, probably will end in my TOP 10 games this year.

MMlhdOb.jpg

Now playing

-Fell Seal
-God Eater 3

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
header.jpg

Game #59 - Mana Spark

A clear case of how perception of value changes with what you paid for it, Mana Spark is a neat little rogue like dual stick shooter, that unfortunately doesn't have much going for it in terms of content and especially not against the bigger games in the genre. It ticks all the boxes, it has various items you can collect that will show up in later runs, some characters to unlock, and some upgrades to your character to start later runs stronger, but it never feels like it has enough tools to tackle the crazy difficulty it can get to. There arent many items to collect and most of them end up being useless, you only have your main weapon so each run feels very same-y (it doesnt help the tilesets dont change much), the small dev has said he would like to do dlc with new items and whatnot, which goes to show how little content the game has. The gameplay was neat at first, with more emphasis on slow deliberate shots (your bow is very slow compared to other similar games), but it quickly gets stale and in later levels, 1 missed shot can easily get you killed, and unlike something like Enter the Gungeon where every run feels fresh, here it just felt like a chore to have to do those earlier levels again and again. Still, like I initially said, I paid $2 for it on sale, so I feel like I got my money's worth and I enjoyed my time with it, even if I have no desire to keep grinding to eventually luck out on a run and "finish" it (if you ever finish these games).

Main Post

MRYEAH

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The hall across the room
June Update
I'm on my expected pace to just get 30 with so many large open world games on my list

1. Red Dead Redemption 2 (PS4) Jan 3 90 hours 4.5/5
2. Sunset Overdrive (XB1) Jan 26 48 hours 4.5/5
3. Sunset Overdrive Dawn of the Rise of The Fallen Machines (DLC) (XB1) Jan 28 4 hours 2/5
4. Sunset Overdrive The Mystery of The Mooil Rig (DLC) (XB1) Jan 30 4 hours 3/5
5. Dead Cells (Switch) Jan 30 42 hours 4.5/5
6. Life Is Strange 2 Episode 1 Roads (XB1) Feb 2 3 hours 4/5
7. Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc (PS4) Feb 18 15 hours 2.5/5
8. Uncharted Lost Legacy (PS4) Feb 24 14 hours 4/5
9. Detroit Become Human (PS4) March 3 22 hours 2.5/5
10. The Garden Between (XB1 March 16 3 hours 3/5
11. NBA2K19 (XB1) March 24 104 hours 3.5/5
12. Hellblade Senua's Sacrifice (XB1)March 24 7 hours 4/5
13. A Way Out (XB1) March 31 7 hours 2/5
14. Tales From the Borderlands Episode 1: Zer0 Sum (XB1) April 6 2.5 hours 3.5/5
15 The Council Episode 1 The Mad Ones (XB1) April 13 3.5 hours 3/5
16. The Council Episode 2 Hide/Seek (XB1) April 20 3.5 hours 3.5/5
17. Soma (PS4) May 24 15 hours 4/5
18. The Council Episode 3 Ripples (XB1) May 25 3.5 hours 3/5
19. The Council Episode 4 Burning Bridges (XB1) June 1 3.5 Hours 3.5/5
20. Borderlands GOTY Edition (XB1) June 5 47 hours 4/5
21. Borderlands The Island of Dr. Ned (DLC) (XB1) June 6 3 hours 3/5
22. Tetris Effect (PS4) June 9 27 hours so far 5/5

Last edited:

Skikkiks

Oct 25, 2017
Main Post

Big boy May update!

s-l300.jpg

Game 37: Mario Kart: Double Dash (GC) | 3 Hours | 05/04/2019 | 7/10

I'll be honest I just played this until I got to the credits which is after beating Special Cup at 150cc. I didn't do the All Cup Grand Prix because it's fuckin stupid padding in a game that has no single player content. The fact that Crash Team Racing and Diddy Kong Racing came out after Mario Kart 64 with their robust single player adventure modes and they came out with this game that doesn't give you the option to play a single track outside their cup is baffling. The game itself is fine and fun enough but it's really funny looking back.

header.jpg

Game 38: [Replay] Gunman Clive (Switch) | 1 Hours | 05/04/2019 | 7/10

I played this on 3DS a few years back and decided to get the switch re-release of both games. Since I already played this, I decided to choose the Mrs. Johnson character while playing on the Hard difficulty. Overall, it was as fun as the first time. Just a solid, short, sweet platformer to pass some time away.

header.jpg

Game 39: Gunman Clive 2 (Switch) | 2 Hours | 05/06/2019 | 7/10

I immediately followed up Gunman Clive by playing its sequel blind with the Native spear boy character. While it definitely improves over the original with its variety of both locales and gameplay it ulitmately delivers the same experience you'd get from the first game. No reason to pass over this if you enjoyed the first one.

220px-Kirby_Air_Ride_gameplay.jpg

Game 40: Kirby Air Ride (GC) | 3+ Hours | 05/06/2019 | 5/10

This is basically a Games as a Service game without the whole 'as a Service' part. I cut the game short after unlocking the four alternate Kirby's in the standard racing mode because to unlock the other characters and the final stage is a nonsensically ridiculous grind where I basically finished up with the games content in a few hours. When people tell you how much they played City Trial, it's because there is literally nothing else to do.

bird-game-plus-cover.cover_large.jpg

Game 41: Bird Game+ (Switch) | 2 Hours | 05/13/2019 | 4/10

I wanted to like this one a lot because it's name Bird Game but I found it to be disappointing overall. Just very vapid and nothing-happening, and the bossess can be a chore based on the 'wait for weakpoint' design that can just elongate these things for ages. I won't lie, I had to drop the difficulty down for the final boss because I was just so over the game at that point. The killer is on the easy difficulty your bird character will stretch out their neck when it comes to grabbing things which should have just been on all difficulties because I found myself to either miss things because I'm too high or drown in the water because I flew too low to get it. Just not a great time.

a1703dd5b4d6e580722f38050c6d734482619ade.png

Game 42: after HOURS (PC) | 20 Minutes | 05/14/2019 | 5/10

This was a day I decided to check out random games from the Humble Treasure Trove, starting with After Hours here. It's an interesting little experience that just kind of ends abruptly which confused me a bit and left me rather cold.

header.jpg

Game 43: A Short Hike (PC) | 1 Hour | 05/14/2019 | 8/10

I follow the person that made this on twitter because of another game he was working on and then he decided to make this cool thing. Nice artstyle, rewarding exploration, fun gliding mechanics and a cute story ties it all together for a really nice game.

hqdefault.jpg

Game 44: Cut & Run (PC) | 2 Hours | 05/14/2019 | 5/10

A fun take on Katamari Damacy that has you wield a knife that grows larger as it slices things. It's fun enough but awkward controls and some weird missions with tight timers can make it a chore to play. The addition of upgrading things also feels unneeded but you need to use it because your character walks at a glacial pace and that will play into the tight timers making everything harder than it needs to be.

Auto-Chess-Mobile-Guide-696x364.jpg

Game 45: Auto Chess (Android) | 10+ Hours | 05/31/2019 | 9/10

I watched a dude stream this when it was a Dota mod some months back and thought it looked really fun and addiciting just watching it. Playing it has proven that what I thought of it at that time remained to be true. A really fun and interesting competitive strategy game that balances the luck of the draw with strategic forethought and planning. You can have ideas of what you want to do but you are beholden to what the game gives you and what others are doing; despite that, you can adapt on the fly and try other strategies you might not have thought of doing. There's a lot of depth and variation that keeps games fresh while it's addicting nature gives you the "one more game" feeling even though games can run to 30+ minutes and drain your battery like nobody's business. The microtransaction part of the game isn't the greatest but its a game where cosmetics are so muted they barely register and consistent placements will give you shit. It also now newly features a free battle pass gimmick that's alright.

3434052-gameplay_gatoroboto_20180904_site.jpg

Game 46: Gato Roboto (PC) | 4 Hours | 05/31/2019 | 8/10

A nice fun charming metroidvania title that does what it does really well. The game is pretty solid across the board. It doesn't set the bar or make radical changes to the formula, it's just a damn good game. Playing though it the main thing sticking out in my mind is how the game is a lot like Minit but as a metroidvania in some ways, to the point where Devolver published both of them. Overall, Good Game.

Deleted member 56773

User requested account closure
Banned
May 16, 2019
haha I'm new to ResetEra and just saw this and I'm pretty sure I already beat 50 games if I include the games I've beaten on the Sega Classics collection so....I'll start listing now lol unfortunately since I didn't know about this I don't have all the data written down so I'm just gonna write name and review and the relative month I played most of it.

My faves this year (so far) are:
- Return of the Obra Dinn (one of the best games I've ever played, hands down)
- Axiom Verge
- Smash Ultimate
- Katamari Damacy REROLL (still one of the most purely joyful games ever)
- Northgard (pleasantly surprised at just how well crafted and smooth this game is)
- Baba Is You (one of the best games I've ever played as well)
- Cuphead (replaying it on Switch and it's still as amazing as ever)
- Steamworld games in general (just started them this year and love them)

1. Gris (Switch) | Jan | 3/5
2. Return of the Obra Dinn | Jan | 5/5
3. West of Loathing (Switch) | Jan | 4/5
3. Axiom Verge (Switch) | Jan | 5/5
3. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (Switch) | Jan | 5/5
3. Wargroove (Switch) | Feb | 3/5
3. A Case of Distrust (Switch) | Feb | 3/5
3. Katamari Damacy REROLL (Switch) | Feb | 5/5
3. Cosmic Star Heroine (Switch) | Feb | 4/5
3. The Messenger (Switch) | Feb | 4/5
3. Resident Evil: Revelations 2 | Mar | 4/5
3. Mutant Year Zero (PC) | Mar | 3/5