• iOS/Safari issues when launching the site from mobile home screens should now be fixed! A2HS button compatibility on Android Firefox has also been fixed! Add some purple to your home screen today.

52 Games. 1 Year. 2019.

Oct 26, 2017
Reserved. I had planned on returning from 2017 last year but I bought too many games that saw me out of the running for this and Backlog Blitz.

2017 - 39
2018 - 17

Hoping to hit 52 this year or close to it at least.

Oct 27, 2017
Last year was the first time in 3 or 4 years that I failed the challenge, and it feels bad. Going to try to get back on the horse, but it's hard as I'm entering my final year of college as well

Oct 25, 2017
Tried a couple of times in the past and never made it.
Reserving and will update when I have a bit more time.

* Started before 2019
BOLD - First time finishing

1: Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep* - 24 Hours (01/01/19)
Enjoyed this more than I thought I would after quitting CoM, I guess that's the odd one out when it comes to non-console games on the Final Mix versions as I'm also enjoying DDD so far. I did find it a bit annoying that there were so many cutscenes that overlapped, and because I was worried there'd be something new at the end I couldn't skip them, having to fight the boss in RG 3 times was also a bit much. Played through on Standard and got the Secret+Extra chapters.

2: Octopath Traveler* - 59 Hours (10/01/19)
Beautiful game with great combat, the shorter more intimate stories were enough at the start but since I hadn't read up on much beforehand I was under the impression that things would start linking together in the later chapters. Party interaction is something I love in RPGs, and it being limited to little cutaway dialog scenes just didn't feel right. Having just the 1 character in cutscenes then getting a + where 2 characters talk about the situation they're in is a bit jarring. REALLY? All 8 of you were clumsy enough to fall down that tiny hole? Loved Haanit but they reallyen overdidden iten with ye olde English text.

3: Uncharted: The Lost Legacy* - 6 Hours (12/01/19)
After playing Uncharted 4 I was happy with them closing the series out, now I really want a new Chloe game. Perfect length, decent puzzles and not flooded by too many shooting gallery segments. While I appreciate the art style and charm, after playing mostly Kingdom Hearts and Octopath Traveler for a while, it was a real treat returning to something as beautiful as a Naughty Dog game.

4: Kingdom Hearts: Dream Drop Distance - 20 hours (14/01/19)
The first game I've started and finished this year. A step down from BBS for me, but still enjoyable up until the last gauntlet, Riku's final stretch sucked, took me a while to be able to reliably avoid the attacks causing me the most grief. I probably should have started the series sooner as I'm getting a bit burned out, but only 1 game and a movie left. Then a couple weeks off before 3. The worlds were all a bit disappointing, and having to do each twice made it worse (Traverse Town 4 damn times..). Controls were great, but I'd put this above CoM and KH1, but a long way short of 2/BBS.

5: Kingdom Hearts 0.2: Fragmentary Passage - 2.5 Hours (15/01/19)
Some performance issues aside, this was short and sweet. Kinda feels like KH2 and BBS had a baby, which is fine by me. Just as I was starting to get burned out on KH, this upped my hype levels for KH3. For Kingdom Hearts as a whole, I didn't find the story confusing, just all over the place and I feel a bit bad for people who either jump in at 3, or only played the PS2 games.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2017
Update: January 2nd, 2019

Game 2: Metro 2033 Redux (PC) (6 Hours) (4/5)
Main Story Beaten

Metro 2033 is a game I've started a few times in the past but never finish, decided to go all the way on this one considering Exodus is on it's way. I wish I'd finished this earlier cause god damn this is such a good game. It has amazing shooting, amazing atmosphere, incredible soundtrack, excellent story and pretty much everything you could ask for. I didn't realise how good this game was til about half way through the game when you first enter the library, which was by far one of the scariest moments in any game I've ever played. There are some nitpicks I have however, the AI isn't amazing and there's a lot of recycling of gameplay ideas. The bad ideas like the driving segments are gone pretty quickly, but you'll see a tunnel of Nosalis pretty often throughout the game.

Amazing game all the way through, going to start Last Light now. I'm getting more and more excited for Exodus

Original Post

Oct 25, 2017
I’ve come to terms with the fact I’ll never actually achieve this, but in the case I can prove myself wrong, I’ll edit this post in the far future

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
1. Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight

A 2D Metroidvanai-style game in which you play as a priestess that journies to the kingdom of Karst to seal an evil that is destroying the land.
The game is rather tough on Normal as enemies can knock off around 1/3 of your health though generally enemies can easily get trapped in hit stun indefinitely when you attack them with your melee weapon. I overall found it a solid 2D action game, and recommend it to anyone who likes 2D Action adventure games or Metroidvania-style games.

Ted

Oct 25, 2017
-72.290091, 0.795254
I hit 52 in our inaugural year are Resetera but 2018 was a busy year so I only got ten completed (final summary). I think this year probably swings more towards 2018 than 2017 in terms of commitments so I suspect I won't make it again but I love this thread so will totally be trying regardless.

Well done to those who made in 2018 (and to those who didn't but still contributed), thanks to Wozzer for once again looking after the thread and last but not least, good luck and god speed to all those participating this year.

Completed Games (1/52) - 51 to go
#01: Not Tonight - Panic Barn - PC - comments - ★★★☆☆

#02: Off Peak - Cosmo D - PC - comments and rating to follow
#03: Passpartout The Starving Artist - Flamebait Games - PC - comments and rating to follow

☆☆☆☆☆ - Unplayable | ★☆☆☆☆ - Bad | ★★☆☆☆ - OK | ★★★☆☆ - Good | ★★★★☆ - Great | ★★★★★ - Exceptional

Currently Playing

Dead Cells - Motion Twin - PC

PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS - PUBG Corp - PC

Euro Truck Simulator 2 - SCS Software - PC

BeamNG.Drive - BeamNG - PC

Hitman 2 - IO Interactive - PC

Katamario Damacy REROLL - MONKEYCRAFT Co. Ltd./BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment - PC

Passpartout The Starving Artist - Flamebait Games - PC

1. Not Tonight (PC) | 15 Jan 2019 - 18hrs | 3/5

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Curated backlog for 2019

Horizon Zero Dawn (PS4)
The Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword (Wii)
Witcher 3: Blood and Wine (PC)
Golf Story (Switch)
Stardew Valley (PC)
Owlboy (PC)
Tokyo Mirage Sessions (WiiU)
Flinthook (PC)
Pokemon Red (3DS)
The Last Guardian (PS4)
Mario Galaxy (Wii)
2064: Read Only Memories (PC)
Super Mario World (Snes Classic)
Final Fantasy 7 (PS4)
Captain Toad Treasure Tracker (WiiU)
The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild: The Champions' Ballad DLC (Switch)
Monster Hunter World (PS4)
Persona 3 Portable (PSP)

1. Persona 3 Portable (PSP) | 7th Jan - 80hrs | 4.5/5
2. Tetris Effect (PS4) | 12th Jan - 4hrs | 4.5/5
3. Spyro the Dragon (PS4) | 17th Jan - 9.5hrs | 4/5

Last edited:

Phendrana

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sydney, Australia
I finished my first game of 2019 this morning. And I've been bummed out all day as a result.

That's because I'll never be able to play Obra Dinn for the first time again. :(

What a genuinely remarkable experience this was. It feels so fresh, and it's incredibly clever in how it turns some obvious indie budget limitations into strengths. I think the game look absolutely stunning for a start, and so many aspects come together to create this extremely unique package.

I don't want to spoil anything, but this game really makes you feel like Spider-Man a detective. There's so many ways that the game provides you with clues, and the 'aha!' moments come fast and often. I have to give major props to the voicework and sound effects - they're absolutely fantastic. I really enjoyed the music, too, and can't stop humming the main themes.

I've never played Papers, Please before, so I bought it today and have chalked that up as my next game to play. If Obra Dinn is anything to by, then Lucas Pope is a genuine auteur developer and I'm super excited for his next project. I also really hope someone just completely and shamelessly copies this formula. I need more games like this.

It took me 10 hours and 42 minutes for 100% completion. 10/10

Nov 7, 2017
Here we go!

Reserving this. Managed 79 last year, can I match / exceed that number this year?

1. Her Story (Mobile) - 16/01/19 - ~4 hours (Credits)

Massively late to the party on this one, but fuck me, what a game. Easily the best use of the FMV format I've played.

The game does so many interesting things with developing narrative, totally eschewing the codes and conventions of linear storytelling. At its core, the game has you search a video database using key words. Using the clips you find, you're asked to attempt to piece together what happened in what is ostensibly a crime story, using half of a two way conversation. The interviewer is never heard or seen, so all narrative comes from the responses of the interviewee.

Despite the game offering the player total agency over how they approach the story, revelations and twists are able to provide genuine shocks and thrills.

It's super cheap on mobile and PC - please go and play it if you haven't already.

CURRENTLY PLAYING
The World Ends with You: FR
Smash Bros Ultimate
Clone Hero (hahaha)

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
Almost certainly going to fail this year but I'll give it a go. Reserved.

1. Celeste (PC) - 1/1/2019
2. Alan Wake (PC) - 3/1/2019
3. Limbo (PC) - 4/1/2019

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Claiming post for 2019.

In 2014 I finished 28 games.
In 2015 I finished 25 games
In 2016 I finished 40 games.
In 2017 I finished 36 games.
In 2018 I finished 31 games.

Completed
Game 01: Assassin's Creed Origins: The Hidden Ones DLC # Actually liked the story better than the main game. (Jan 06, 2019)
Game 02: Assassin's Creed Origins: The Curse of the Pharaohs # Not as good, really spongy bosses. (Jan 08 2019)
Game 01: Game # Thoughts?! (Jan 01, 2019)

In progress from past years
Mad Max
Legend of Kay Anniversary
Mark of the Ninja
Half Minute Hero
Cognition: An Erica Reed Thriller
Deadly Premonition The Director's Cut
Jacob Jones and the Bigfoot Mystery Episode 1
Octodad Dadliest Catch

Games I'll hopefully get around to playing this year
Danganronpa
Subsurface Circular
Okami HD
SteamWorld Heist
Shovel Knight DLC
Read Only Memories
The Legend of Heroes Trails in the Sky
Valkyria Chronicles
Super Win the Game
Experience 112
The Fall
Halo Spartan Assault
Great Permutator

Abandoned
Nothing here yet
# Thoughts?! (Jan 01, 2019)

Unhonorable mentions
Nothing here yet # Thoughts?! (Jan 01, 2019)

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Reserving a spot. Don't think I'll hit 52 games this year but want to keep track anyway.

Game 1: Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
Started: 1/1/19
Finished: 1/9/19

Finished adventure mode 100%

Game 2: ?

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
2014: COMPLETED - 55 games (GAF)
2015: COMPLETED - 62 games (GAF)
2016: COMPLETED - 53 games (GAF)
2017: COMPLETED - 52 games (Era)
2018: COMPLETED - 52 games (Era)

Games finished in 2019: 1

January

1) Final Fantasy XV
Developed by: Square Enix
Platform: PS4
Time to beat: 41 hours 53 minutes
Rating: 6.5/10

2)
Developed by:
Platform:
Time to beat:
Rating: /10

3)
Developed by:
Platform:
Time to beat:

4)
Developed by:
Platform:
Time to beat:

5)
Developed by:
Platform:
Time to beat:

6)
Developed by:
Platform:
Time to beat:

7)
Developed by:
Platform:
Time to beat:

8)
Developed by:
Platform:
Time to beat:

9)
Developed by:
Platform:
Time to beat:

10)
Developed by:
Platform:
Time to beat:

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2018
Not thinking I’m going to be meeting this at all (the most I’ve done is in the 30s I think ugh), but it’s fun to track!

2018: 29 games (super surprising)....
2019: 1 game so far
  1. Red Dead Redemption 2 -- 8/10

Currently playing:
Moonlighter

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
1. Marvel's Spider-Man (PS4) - 9/10
2. Sonic & Knuckles (Genesis) - 9/10

Now Playing:
Life is Strange: Before the Storm (PS4)
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D (3DS)
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (Switch)

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia Beach
This year is going to be a return to form for me. After beating 60 games in 2017 I only beat 10 last year. I still played a ton but it was a lot of the same ones like Rocket League and Overwatch so this year I'll be blasting through my backlog.

1) Spiderman - PS4 - 1/13

Fantastic game with satisfying combat and some of the most fun traversal I've ever played. I'll definitely 100% this before moving on to other games.

Last edited:

Bosh

Oct 26, 2017
MAIN THREAD

COMPLETED [1]
1: Killer Is Dead(1-2-2019) | 8/10 | Xbox one | ~ 7.5 Hours | Recommend: Y

# Overall - 8 | A fun hack and slash game with a Grasshopper story leads to an enjoyable experience
Gameplay - 8.2 | Fast hack and dodging up against a number of cool enemies and interesting bosses
Sound - 7 | Voice acting isn't great and the soundtrack has less hits than previous Grasshopper titles
Story/Online - 8 | The story is more tame but is still entertaining.
Asking Price- 8.33 | Decent number of levels as well as side missions to build a nice non bloated package

First down, only 51 to go!

Oct 27, 2017
Reserving a spot. A link to my Backloggery (where I keep track of every game I've ever played or would want to play, rather than a literal backlog) which I will also be updating. I didn't participate in this thread specifically last year, but I did pretty much the same idea. In there I kept track of every game I beat for the first time in 2018, so I think that's how I will be tracking things for 2019 since I always replay a lot too so that's not much of an accomplishment.

2018 - 60 games beaten
2019 - 5 games beaten

Click on games to be led to the post where I gave a brief review!

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Game 1: Call Of Duty 4 Modern Warfare Remastered - PC - Completed 1/2/19
This should be a really good year of gaming for me, and I think this is a good start. Hopefully one of the games released this year is Modern Warfare 4.

Game 2: Call Of Duty Modern Warfare 2 - PC - Completed 1/5/19
MW2 is a really good game, but it can be a bit of a slog compared to MW1 and MW3. I'm going to hold off on MW3 until we get closer to fall.

Game 3: Bulletstorm - PS4 - Completed 1/6/19
It always surprises me how much fun I have with this game, regardless of what platform I play it on. I had far to much fun trying to think of new ways to kill enemies.

Game 4: Gears of War 3 - XB1 - Completed 1/17/19
Working on this, Onimusha Warlords and Rise of the Tomb Raider all at once. Lucky to have such good games to play. Really enjoying my HD58x's a lot more than I expected.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
This is tempting but so many of my backlog games are old RPGs that I missed.

For instance, from 2011 to 2018, I put maybe 15 hours into Radiant Historia on DS. A few weeks ago it finally grabbed me and I played another 25 hours over the past month to finally finish it.

May 30, 2018
Let's do this!

Completed:

1. Donut County (Switch) - 1/6/19

2. Florence (ios) - 1/10/19

An extremely emotional experience for me. Beautiful.

3. Red Dead Redemption 2 (PS4) - 1/12/19

Currently playing:

1. Red Dead Redemption 2 (PS4)
2. Super Smash Bros Ultimate (Switch)
3. Golf Story (Switch)
4. Dusk (PC)

1. Donut County (Switch) | 6th Jan - 2hrs | 4/5
2. Florence (ios) | 10th Jan - 1hrs | 4/5
3. Red Dead Redemption 2 (Ps4) | 12th Jan - 55hrs | 4/5

Last edited:

Nbz

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Last year was the first year since 2015 that I didn't complete the challenge! Likely won't be able to do it again for a good long while, that's what working life does I guess. Anyway, let's go again shall we?

1. Old Man's Journey - 02/01/19
2. Linelight - 06/01/19
3. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - 11/01/19
4. Elite Beat Agents - 12/01/19

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
California
I finished 26 games last year, though I wasn't particularly focused on playing games. Hopefully, I'll be able to reach 52, but we'll have to see.

1. Sonic Mania (4 hours)
This is an excellent example of Sonic game, just bursting with great gameplay conceits and gorgeous spritework and music.

2. Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back - N. Sane Trilogy (5 hours)
I'm not gonna lie, I don't think I see why people are so in love with this series. Don't get me wrong, this is a good game, but it feels unremarkable in just about every way. Maybe it's just because I'm more used to Nintendo-style 3D platformers of the era like Super Mario 64 and Banjo-Kazooie, but this felt really basic to me. That's not gonna stop me from beating the other two games in the trilogy, though.

3. Warriors of Fate (1 hour)
Another solid Capcom beat 'em up that just doesn't really do it for me thematically. I do like that the one guy bites his opponents' faces, though.

4. Armored Warriors (1 hour)
Okay, this is more like it. A really cool setting, sub-weapons, and the ability to equip parts from fallen enemies make for a highly entertaining experience.

5. Battle Circuit (1 hour)
This might be the highlight of the collection. This game is bursting with character, has a decent selection of special moves to pull from, and I was surprised when I reached the end of the game sooner than I expected.

Last edited:

Bosh

Oct 26, 2017
MAIN THREAD

#2: Noitu Love 2: Devolution (1-2-2018) | 8/10 | PC| ~ 2 Hours | Recommend: Y
# Overall -8 | A great quick action game with fantastic boss fights
Gameplay -8.8 | Controls are simple, graphics are outstanding and the bosses like other Konjak games are superb
Sound - 8 | Some great tracks roll you throughout the game
Story/Online - 8 | Its told quickly through text, but the level design fills you in on other aspects
Asking Price- 7.67 | An enjoyable experience but one that will not have as much lasting power besides the boss fights

FYI - The creator of this game released Iconoclasts last year on all the major devices besides Xbox 1. Its in my top 10 games of all time and I highly recommend for those looking for a 2D platforming adventure with an actual story. Bosses, graphics and animations are also top notch!

Oct 27, 2017
Canada

3.Celeste Play Time 11h15m 9/10
I have to say I loved this game, so many times I wanted to quit but I kept on trucking and I got to the top of the mountain. And a surprisingly good story, I am happy I finished this before Game of The Year has to be put in this will make the list.

Jan 2, 2018
Barcelona
Reserved , gonna give it a try.

2016: 26 games
2017: 68 games

2018: 47 games

Will update at the start of each month with opinions.

January

1. Ys Felghana (PC) | 1th Jan - 7h58m | 4/5
2. A Way Out (PC) | 1th Jan - 8h | 3/5
3. Bladed Fury (PC) | 3th Jan - 3h | 4/5

1. Ys Felghana (PC) | 1th Jan - 7h58m | 4/5
2. A Way Out (PC) | 1th Jan - 8h | 3/5
3. Bladed Fury (PC) | 3th Jan - 3h | 4/5

Oct 26, 2017
Oh man, I almost missed this.

Currently Playing
  • Final Fantasy IV (DS)
  • Red Dead Redemption 2 (PS4)

Updates

Beaten
  1. Tacoma (PS4) - 01/01/19

Previous Entries

Immediate Backlog
  • Dark Souls (PS3)
  • Dragon Age: Inquisition (PS3)
  • Dragon Quest IX (DS)
  • Final Fantasy Dissidia NT (PS4)
  • Iconoclasts (PSV)
  • Infinite Space (DS)
  • The Last of Us Remastered (PS4)
  • Nobunaga's Ambition: Sphere of Influence (PS4)
  • Resident Evil: Revelations (PS3)
  • Resident Evil: Revelations 2 (PS4)
  • Resogun (PS4)
  • Tales of Xillia (PS3)
  • Tales of Xillia 2 (PS3)
  • Yakuza: Dead Souls (PS3)

Oct 29, 2017
Isle of Man
Jan 13th Update

Currently Playing (2):
  • Shadow of the Colossus (PS4)
  • Metro 2033 Redux (Xbox One)
Beaten (+4):
  • Marvel’s Spider-Man (PS4) 5/1/19 (Platinum) - Verdict: 9/10
  • Marvel’s Spider-Man CTNS DLC (PS4) 8/1/19 (100%) - Verdict 7/10
  • Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice (Xbox One) 10/1/19 (100%) - Verdict 7/10
  • The Order: 1886 (PS4) 13/1/19 (Platinum) - Verdict 7/10

Rules:
  • A beaten game is to completion, Platinum Trophy/100% on PS4 Pro and 100% on Xbox One X.
  • Try to complete a variety of games across PS4 & Xbox One.
  • Main Game to count as 1, and all DLC to count as another 1. Same from a purchasing point of view.
  • Try to prioritise games that have sequels on the horizon, or are relatively new releases.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Have no trust in myself to actually get to 52 games, but my backlog stands at 70 games (though most of that is PS+), so I really need to whittle it down. Might as well give this a crack.

Currently Playing:
  • Assassin's Creed Odyssey (PS4)
  • The Order 1886 (PS4)
On Deck:
  • The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Switch)
  • Uncharted 2 (PS4)
  1. Marvel's Spider-Man: The City that Never Sleeps DLC (PS4) | 1/4/19 - 8hrs | 5/10
  2. Burly Men at Sea (PS4) | 1/6/19 - 1hr | 5/10
  3. Bayonetta (Switch) | 1/15/19 - 10hr | 6/10

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
I'd like to do this for the first time. Reserving my spot

Current Playing -

AC Odyssey

Next -

Portal Knights

On the Horizon -
Horizon Zero Dawn as I never got past the first few hours for some reason
KH3

Reserved.

I did pretty well in 2018 with 42 games completed, but I'm anticipating 2019 will be much lower with me trying to focus on longer games that I've been putting off - Witcher 3, Metal Gear Solid V, Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Persona 5, etc. So it may be more like a 12 in 12 for me this year, heh.
I did the same Finished 42 games and when I look at my 2019 goal it's the big open world games that are going to eat up my time too mostly 2016-2017 sunset overdrive/Witcher 3/AC Odyssey/Spiderman/shadow of the tomb raider
So good luck

Aug 21, 2018
I did the same Finished 42 games and when I look at my 2019 goal it's the big open world games that are going to eat up my time too mostly 2016-2017 sunset overdrive/Witcher 3/AC Odyssey/Spiderman/shadow of the tomb raider
So good luck
Thanks! And good luck to you as well.

The only way I can manage to do it is to sprinkle a few shorter games (15 hours or usually less) in between the biggies. So I'm playing SteamWorld: Heist right now and probably a couple more before I tackle...well, I started to say The Witcher 3, but I guess Kingdom Hearts 3 will be the first long-ish game I start up this year.

Oct 25, 2017
Current games completed in 2019: 8

1. Abzu (PS4) | 3rd Jan - 2hr | 3/5
2. Bound (PS4) | 3rd Jan - 1hr | 4/5
3. Burly Men at Sea (PS4) | 4th Jan - 2hr10m | 3/5
4. Roundabout (PS4) | 4th Jan - 2hr30m | 4/5
5. Saints Row: Gat out of Hell (PS4) | 5th Jan - 5hr2m | 4/5
6. LittleBigPlanet 3 (PS4) | 6th Jan 8h | 4/5
7. Rime (PS4) | 8th Jan 6h29m | 4/5
8, Bulletstorm: Full Clip Edition | 10th Jan 7h | 2/5

Last edited: