• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Spyware

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Weekly update 9!

Just one game again, but what a game it was.

Mtwd39v.png

20. Hollow Knight (PC) | 27th Feb - 28hrs | 5/5
Where to begin... I knew I would love this. I even bought shirts with the Knight and Hornet on them before I installed the game. I hadn't watched anything from it and read very little. I had just heard about what it was and I was very sure I would love it based on that. And I do. I so do. It is one of the best experiences I've had in years. The art style, animations and music make for a great atmosphere and the controls are perfect. I loved every single area of the game and how different they all were. I skipped the last of the Grimm Troupe content, all of the Godmaster stuff and Steel Soul because I felt like it was too hard for me. I felt perfectly satisfied with my 105% and the two endings I got.​

Master Post!

Last edited:

Belmont

Oct 27, 2017
Back for the party! I finished in 2017 but got hooked on Fire Emblem Heroes last fall and have been playing that exclusively until just recently which cut last year's efforts short. Now, I'm dropping that and returning to the fray. I'm starting two months late but I hope to pull it off again like 2017. I'll add my list here as I start to complete it. Good luck everybody!

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
header.jpg

Game #33 - Metro 2033 Redux
Time: 9 hours

I was always a big fan of the original Metro 2033 but I think this Redux version is actually my favorite version of the game, I certainly enjoyed it more this time than I did back on 360. Remaster wise, It looks fantastic, even tho the models don't really hold up these days, the new lighting and fog effectgs really make the environments pop, and it helps that the game is very dark to start with so it's easier to hide any old engine flaws. What hasnt changed is the top of the line vibe, mood and world building the game has, it's easily one of my favorite post-apocalypse settings. I played the game with the new "Spartan" option carriedc over from Last Light, which makes the game more of a tradional first person shooter, with a lot more ammo available and replaces the weird bullet currency with just normal currency, and I actually prefer it this way, as I always thought the original was weirdly punishing (I'm sure a lot will disagree tho). Overall, I loved my time with it (again) and it really makes me excited to play Last Light Redux now, because I never actually played the original.

Main Post

Illusionary

Oct 25, 2017
Manchester, UK
February update!

With 8 games completed this month, I'm now at a total of 14 - nicely on-target, at least for the time being...

Master post here

1724463c382120e0974c4d83a325d62d0f685c8f.png

7. Spyro: Year of the Dragon (remaster) (PS4) - 2 February 2019
Platinum trophy earned, 117% (maximum) in-game completion rate, all skill points earned. Rounding out the original trilogy, Year of the Dragon is a fair amount longer then each of the two previous games. There's a bit of a rise in the use of 'minigame' scenarios such as skateboarding sequences (stunt challenges and races) which personally I didn't get on too well with, but these didn't detract from an overall enjoyable experience once again.

header.jpg

8. Orwell: Ignorance is Strength (Steam) - 8 February 2019
100% of achievements unlocked. Although ultimately this sequel plays very similarly to the original Orwell, the investigation-based gameplay remains satisfying and the are are a few worthwhile new mechanics introduced later in the game. There's some great background world-building throughout if you take the time to read through the detail of the various information sources presented, and although ultimately, the plot and investigation is inherently very focused on a small number of individuals, this allows for the investigation to go to an impressive level of depth. The various investigative steps generally follow a fairly accessible logic, though with enough thought required to remain satisfying, and the turn-based advancement of time brings a greater level of tension and urgency than seen in the first game.

header.jpg

9. Fairune (Switch) - 11 February 2019
Completed twice, with 100% of achievements unlocked - includes 100% completion, 1-hour speedrun and zero deaths. Fairune is a somewhat simplistic 2D adventure game, playing out from an overhead perspective, with pixelart graphics. Combat in the game is handled through a 'bump' system, with enemies defeated simply by walking into them, at the cost of an amount of cost determined by the monster's level - and with monsters off too high a level instead killing the player outright. With this simplified approach, combat clearly isn't the core focus of Fairune, with exploration and puzzle-solving instead brought to the fore, to good effect. This creates a generally very relaxing experience, with exploration bringing a nice sense of satisfaction - perfect for its short length

header.jpg

10. Quarantine Circular (Switch) - 11 February 2019
Single complete playthrough. Although sharing its core gameplay approach and part of its name with the earlier Subsurface Circular, the story premise and setting are very different. Quarantine Circular depicts a future world in crisis, gripped by a pandemic plague, within which a first-contact alien encounter offers a potential salvation. The game plays out as a text adventure, with players taking control of a number of different key characters in turn as the scenario develops - ultimately, much of the game seems likely to play out much the same regardless of the minor choices made by players, but there are a few more significant choices that factor into which of a number of different endings will be reached. The perspective shifts are effective in allowing players to explore all aspects of the scenario, though I fond that this brought a few moments of frustration where you take control of characters with directly-opposing aims from those which you may previously have been following. Overall, as a short story, Quarantine Circular is another impressive effort from Mike Bithell and I look forward to seeing what comes next from his studio!

header.jpg

11. Fairune 2 (Switch) - 17 February 2019
Completed twice, with 100% of achievements unlocked - includes 100% completion and 3-hour speedrun. Very similar to the preceding game, this sequel is largely similar, but provides an expanded experience - gameplay is much the same, with the 'bump' combat of the first game retained, but the game is 2-3 times its length, with a greater number of different, themed worlds to explore, each individually larger, and a wider selection of equipment to collect and puzzles to solve. There's a little more plot here, though it's still very light, but overall, the expanded scope and variety of scenarios (in all key ways - location, equipment, puzzle types, etc.) means that the game justifies its longer play time, while retaining the relaxing and satisfying feel from the first Fairune.

header.jpg

12. Fairune Origin (Switch) - 17 February 2019
100% of achievements unlocked; zero-damage, sub-6 minute speedrun. The first of two 'bonus' games that round out the Fairune Collection, Fairune Origins is a very short-form take on the series' approach, retaining the 'bump' combat but now making its outcome based on the direction of attacks, and taking place in a much smaller area. With 100% completion attainable in minutes this is very much not build as a lasting experience (though there's certainly competitive speedrunning potential), but it's an enjoyable if very simplistic 'palette-cleaner' after the lengthier experiences of the two main instalments.

header.jpg

13. Fairune Blast! (Switch) - 18 February 2019
100% of achievements unlocked; cleared with all three characters. Fairune Blast! is the second 'bonus' game in Fairune Collection, only unlocked after beating the three other games. Very different from the main gameplay of the series, Blast! expands on the format of the final boss battles of the two main games, being a vertically-scrolling shooter. The three different playable characters, each with different weaponry that powers up as you play, bring an impressive amount of variety for a bonus game, but with only a single stage, limited by a timer (each run ends at two minutes) rather than progress through battles, this is never going to last all that long. That said, with well-implemented leaderboards, the game does about as much as could be expected of it, and serves as a nice way to round out the Collection.

Reverie.jpg

14. Reverie: Sweet As Edition (Switch) - 24 February 2019
Complete playthrough with all items collected; 100% of 'stamps' (in-game achievements) unlocked. An entertaining, smaller-scale take on A Link to the Past, in a modern setting, Reverie puts players in control of Tai, a child visiting a New Zealand island who finds himself tasked with calming the restless spirits threatening the inhabitants - but despite that premise, the game is brightly-coloured and cheerful in tone throughout. The game is generally fairly easy, but there are some nicely-designed puzzles in the later 'dungeon' areas (and a few with infuriatingly simple solutions that I initially overlooked. The equipment that you'll collect to help with puzzle-solving and exploration fits nicely with the theme, but it would have been nice to see some more imaginative functionality - what's here is ultimately quite common, e.g., a shovel, projectile weapon, swimming equipment. Despite being on Switch, there's a satisfying achievement system available in-game, which is also used to reward and encourage exploration - a few hidden areas/secrets are scattered around in more out-of-the-way areas. Overall I enjoyed my time with the game, but as it's fairly short it doesn't have the chance to extend itself between commonly-seen aspects of this type of game.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Main Post

6. Deadly Creatures - Wii
Completed 2/14/19
Score - 7/10

Clearing the backlog. This was a unique title that I found years ago for cheaper than it should have been. I enjoyed my time with it and found the controls worked pretty well for the majority of the game. You can cheese most of the game with the spider and his pounce move. The scorpion was a little more difficult. Definitely worth a play if you can find it. Only around 6-7 hours though.

deadly-creatures-wii-265.jpg

7. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D - 3DS
Completed 2/21/19
Score - 10/10

Working through the series and wondered if this would hold up. I have so many memories of snow days and weekends trying to work my way through this. I loved every second of replaying this and I didn't want it to end. Will move on to MM soon, I dropped it as a kid because the time mechanic confused me. Sounds like I really missed out back then.

Ocarina-of-Time-3D-Crosses-1-Million-Units-Sold.jpeg

8. Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric - Wii-U
Completed 3/1/19
Score - 5/10

Am I punishing myself by playing all of the Sonic games? I figured this one couldn't be THAT bad... and it started off decent enough. I think it's actually put together alright, but it is just so boring. It is hands down the easiest Sonic game I have played thus far. There is barely a challenge. I fell asleep playing it a few times (2 year old can really wear you out) but it was really boring for the majority of the game. The art style is meh but I can deal with it. Strange game. I already own the other Boom games on 3DS so I might try to knock them off quick.

sonicboomknux.jpg

9. Florence - iPad
Completed 3/2/19
Score - 8/10

Less of a game and more of an experience. You can feel the love coming out of this game. It took me maybe an hour total to get through it. That hour gave me more feelings and things to remember than the 7-8 hours I spend on Sonic Boom.

10. King's Quest: Quest for the Crown - PC
Completed 3/3/19
Score - 7/10

Another series I want to get through. This one took me some time since I avoided a guide for most of the time. I had to look up jumping for the bird and the stupid name of the gnome. I had all of these as a kid but only really got into V,VI and VII. I was happy to play through it and definitely appreciate it for what it is. It's definitely not easy on the eyes, ears or brain. I played the GOG version which is not the updated graphics version. I was fine with this but I am sure others won't be.

kingsquest1-672jpg-88640c_1280w.jpg

Chas Hodges

Nov 7, 2017
Man, I am struggling this year. Not sure why I seem to have so much less free time, but there we go. Progress is pretty slow thus far.

yes06kin

Jun 15, 2018
Been forgetting to post here. But I've been making some progress at least! A lot more than last year for sure.
Gonna edit my main post with my thoughts on these games once I have more time.

KzU6Gx8.jpg

1: Cyberdimension Neptunia: 4 Goddesses Online (PS4)(1/1/2019, ~14 hrs Main Story, ~20 hrs 100%)

6yVq7lE.jpg

2: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1 Classic)(1/8/19, ~13 hrs True Ending)

h5BG5SM.jpg

3: Destiny 2: Forsaken (PS4)( 1/13/19, ~7 Hrs)

lKDauy9.jpg

4: Crash Bandicoot Remastered (Switch)((~5hrs, 1/18/19)

3XesCT4.jpg

5: God Eater 3 (PS4)(~25 hrs, 3/2/19)

FRANKEINSTEIN

Oct 27, 2017
AZ
themissing-thumb-1539835241345_1280w.jpg

19. The Missing: J.J. Macfield and the Island of Lost Memories (Switch) | 5th Mar - 6 hrs | 5/5
What a bold game. It touched me like no other game ever has, even as a straight white (well mostly white) male. I will forever support everything Swery ever does.

chirt

Oct 25, 2017
How do you all feel about arcade games? I'm going to Galloping Ghost this weekend and could theoretically knock out all 52 in one day haha
I'm confident I'll make it to 52 regardless (already at 22 and completed last year), but I'd like to hear other people's thoughts.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How do you all feel about arcade games? I'm going to Galloping Ghost this weekend and could theoretically knock out all 52 in one day haha
I'm confident I'll make it to 52 regardless (already at 22 and completed last year), but I'd like to hear other people's thoughts.

Games are games.

That may sound a bit dismissive but it's not, i just think it's that simple. As long as you finish them, they count. It doesn't matter whether they took you 30 minutes or 100 hours. I think the point of this thread is not to amass playtime for the sake of it, but for us to challenge ourselves to play a lot of different things. At least that's how i see it.

LonestarZues

Oct 27, 2017

Like the previous poster said games are games. If I see credits roll I count it regardless if the game is 30 minutes or 100 hours.

chirt

Oct 25, 2017
Games are games.

That may sound a bit dismissive but it's not, i just think it's that simple. As long as you finish them, they count. It doesn't matter whether they took you 30 minutes or 100 hours. I think the point of this thread is not to amass playtime for the sake of it, but for us to challenge ourselves to play a lot of different things. At least that's how i see it.
Like the previous poster said games are games. If I see credits roll I count it regardless if the game is 30 minutes or 100 hours.

That's how I approach it with console/pc games, but for some reason arcade games seem like a gray area for me.
I'm still going to track the ones I play/complete but I'll probably keep the list separate until the end of the year just for my own peace of mind ha

Spyware

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
I personally only count games that feel "substantial" enough. That isn't really based on time. A 30 min game can feel really substantial. But if I play something that doesn't really make me feel anything and it was over just like that, I wouldn't count it.

No idea how you feel about these games but if you feel like they should count then they should count!

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
header.jpg

Game #34 - Metro Last Light Redux
Time: 10 hours

Fantastic sequel to 2033 which directly continues the story right where the frist game left off (which is quite rare these days I feel). More varied locations, still looks gorgeous, great gameplay with some really impactful shooting, lots of returning characters, and the story goes places I didnt expect, just overall super fun and one of those sequels that really feels like part 2 of a game, and you really cant play one without the other (and vice versa). It's also a longer, meatier game than the first, with more of a focus on the human factions in this post apocalypse and their war and less on the monsters (although there are plenty of those). It also reminded me how the narrative / character focused FPS genre is a bit of a dying breed, not only because we are seeing some FPS games not even have single player modes or drift off in the GaaS direction, but also because even those that do, feel too self contained (like every COD campaign or every Battlefield campaign has nothing to do with the previous on in general), and here it all feels like a cohesive universe, which I really apreciate. I really liked both this and 2033, especially this. Didnt really delve into the DLC tho, as it was a bunch of random side stories and that's not really what Im looking for from the series.

AlCQmvd.png

Game #35 - Crackdown 3
Time: 9 hours

Crackdown 3 is a weird game to analyze, as it's not particularly good, nor is it bad per se, it does a lot of things well, and it's fun until it starts getting repetitive (and even then it's never long enough that its a problem), but at the same time, it doesnt look amazing, it's basically storyless, you can finish it in about 8-10 horus and thats doing everything and it doesnt do anything that a million other games havent done. The "problem" is, we live in the era of game pass and the like, and since this IS on game pass (for both xbox AND pc), it's hard to judge it too harshly I guess. As a stand alone $60 game it would certainly be a hard pass, but as something you get "free" as part of your sub, you certainly could spend a worse afternoon, especially if you like these types of games (as me liking Agents of Mayhem earlier this month clearly proved I do). It's alright on gamepass, but stay away if you dont have the service.

Main Post

Last edited:

Tambini

Oct 25, 2017
#14 Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 - 8.0 PS3 - Mar 3rd - 9 hours
Enjoyed just as much as Sigma 1. It is much easier than the first which makes it slightly less rewarding but also less moments of frustration. It trades the more open level structure for a linear one which could be seen as worse but I didn't mind. Some nice QOL changes too.

#15 Dark Messiah of Might & Magic - 7.5 - Mar 6th - 6:30 hours
Fun just to mess around and kick orcs off buildings and into spikes. There's variety in how you can approach combat though once the difficulty begins to rise, its best to stick to the better tactics over the more fun ones.
Level design is good with lots of secrets to find and it still looks great for its age

lucentcrowe

Banned
Feb 11, 2019
trying my best. 52 games/304 days = 1 game per 5.84(?) days.
I've *completed* like, less than twenty games in my life, so this is something.

CURRENT :

Nioh-08-HD.png

Game 1. Nioh + 3 DLC (2017).
I played this when it released in '17 but never beat it, stopping around what I guess to be the 70ish% mark. Since then the DLC has released which I've heard is (in 'souls-like' fashion) superior to the base game in most respects. Seemed like something good to get in before the Sekiro Hype.

Liked: Core combat system. Humanoid Boss 'Duels'. Low-Stance Dodge Invincibility frames.
Disliked: Storytelling. Level design, especially inconsistent checkpoint placements. Wildly inconsistent boss quality and difficulty. Lack of major enemy variety. Absurd honor point cost to unlock the Girl Skin- what the fuck?

I completed the base game on a fresh save clocking in at 30 hours. What an incredibly inconsistent mess. The level design and storytelling are solidly mediocre throughout but can vary to being actively bad in places. It definitely suffers from 'announced in 2004' syndrome. First and foremost for a game with very little going for it beyond its combat: the bosses. They are, as if taking a cursed cue from similar games built entirely around strong core combat systems, wildly inconsistent in quality. In particular, there are three awfully designed monstrosities that don't really play by the game's rules or leverage its combat. I found these fights much more frustrating than challenging and it was made shockingly worse by the twist final boss being among the 3.
Overall, the core combat system is very fun and rewarding. Ki-pulsing via stance switches and dodges, weapon swaps mid-combo, and the weapon skill tree add up for a super fun experience. I especially appreciated the relatively generous invincibility frames on the low stance dodge, I blocked very little in this game. Since this was a 2+ million seller and we already know that You Can Play As A Girl in the sequel, I'm expecting great things.

Game 2. Final Fantasy XIV. Stormblood (2017).
Goal is to complete Stormblood MSQ before Shadowbringer's early access starts and hopefully get both DRK and PLD to 70.
I played XIV A Realm Reborn on launch week, approaching it like WoW with a group of WoW players. rushed to level cap, burned out, and my friends quit before I even scratched lv50 content. It's been five years and I'm enjoying it a lot more now by actually uhh. watching the cutscenes.

Game 3. Granblue Fantasy (2014).
I've been playing GBF on and off since early 2017. Goal is to catch up on mainstory before the end of the year and stay plugged in for RE:LINK and Versus. I'm about 45 chapters behind currently.

2019 RELEASE PLANS :
Sekiro(!) - March
God Eater 3 - February
Granblue Fantasy Re:Link - TBD
Granblue Fantasy Versus - TBD
Hades - TBD
Pokemon Shield - December(?)
Persona 5 R - TBD
Dragon Quest 11 Switch Ver. - Fall(?)

1. Nioh - Base Game (PS4) | 6th March - 30hrs | 4/5
2. Dissidia Final Fantasy NT. Free Ver. | 16th Match - 2 hours. | 2/5
3. Granblue Fantasy (Browser) | Concurrent? - ?hrs | 4/5
4. Touhou Koumakyou - Embodiment of Scarlet Devil (PC) | 15th March - 8hrs | 3/5

Last edited:

Ted

Oct 25, 2017
-72.290091, 0.795254
Main post

header.jpg

GAME #06: Far Cry 5
Ubisoft - PC - ★★★☆☆

Completion State:
Completed the story and a bunch of side missions (37 hours, some Uplay achievements)

Comments:
A very very video gamey game. Fun, great looking, complete and performant but fails massively to deliver on the narrative expectations set by the marketing.

Ultimately the story is typical video games nonsense that simply exists to set the stage for the player to kill unambiguously shitty people. The closest the game gets to a message is some reflection about how bad people are generally the result of nurture (or lack thereof) rather than nature and how easy it could be to abuse that. It's mostly there to motivate the player to fuck up the bad guys shit, allow us to not feel bad about any collateral damage and to ensure no-one thinks too deeply about precisely how this region came to be like it is or why I as the PC I can simply "kill it all" to make it go away again without any due process or indeed mandate! But in that sense it works pretty well. I want to fuck these religious extremists up, and I'm glad when I do. There's lot's of non-so subtle "we're all in it together", "wouldn't it be so nice if we just got along" stuff but it's delivered in a non-offensive, feel good American blockbuster kind of way and doesn't get in the way of the game-play too significantly, most of the time. My silent unflinching player character is as ever in video games ultimately being rewarded for nothing more than killing and exploding our way through the game. Getting ever stronger as the death count rises. It's ultimately just another familiar power fantasy, well delivered but unable to really speak to much of, well, anything really.

Weirdly probably the only characters whose names I can remember are Hurk Snr. and Hurk Jnr. and that's mostly just because I thoroughly enjoyed punching Hurk Snr. in the face whilst he repeatedly attempts to deliver his Trump-esque speeches railing against the "syrup sucking socialists" as his hapless son revives him.

In most cases mission design is fairly typical open world fodder (go here, get a thing, take it here/go here, defend a thing) but the open nature of the world and the variety of systems in play gave me plenty of different ways to approach and complete missions be it stealthily or with guns blazing. There are plenty of the usual Ubisoft camps of bad guys to be taken down but there also a few nice hand crafted missions. They are broadly action set piece schlock through and through but they are bombastic and fun. As they should be.

Graphics on my PC look great even though I'm running them at a mix of medium and high (with the HD texture pack installed) and performance is pretty good on my mid range Ryzen 5 1600 and GTX 1060 6GB machine. I have had a couple of lock ups that required alt-F4 or a trip to task manager but very few. I also saw a couple of other bugs here and there with my player character clipping through stuff or falling through the world but these were almost without exception related to me pushing the wing suit or parachute in particular and presumably, unintended ways.

As I write this up to this point I feel that I am somewhat damning the game with faint praise but that's certainly not my intention it's just that this is a perfectly good, enjoyable game wrapped in a pointless story but unavoidable story. That wouldn't normally be a problem for me as I'm a gameplay over story kind of person but here the story forced me to engage with it a few too many times for what it is. At points in the game, regardless of what I was doing at the time, or regardless of how much I tried to to avoid it I was dragged into typical Ubisoft drug induced kidnap and dream sequences. Whilst these don't happen often, in each case it made me groan inwardly. Sure, they're telegraphed fairly clearly but even with this I was several times happily trying to achieve a thing when the game suddenly decided, "nope, you're doing this now whether you like it or not".

As I approached the end of the game it started to feel a little long and I think it would perhaps be nice if you only needed to do two of three regions but in doing so you faced a slightly different/stronger final boss as you had not entirely wiped out their regional influence.

It's also in the end where the story begins to implode, I won't mention details but the final boss fight is a mess and the end is annoying, inconclusive and unsatisfying/unrewarding at best. Still, at least you can go back to the world and play any side content you want to.

Overall, a really nice open world first person shooter dressed up in a vacuous and at times annoying story. So a Far Cry game I suppose.

Last edited:

watdaeff4

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Original Post: https://www.resetera.com/threads/52-games-1-year-2019.90649/page-9#post-17179765

10. Cosmic Star Heroine (Vita)
Recommend? Only if you want a short vanilla JRPG or an easy Platinum trophy
I really wanted to like this game. A to the point RPG without a lot of fluff or unnecessary grinding. Unfortunately, due to trying to be that, it was hard to get invested into the story which is crucial for this genre. Just didn't stick wtih me. Easy platinum trophy to get though

11. Bloodstained (Xbox one)
Recommend? Yes; esp if you love NES Castlevanias
This is pretty much a NES Castlevania with some added spice to it. Which I loved as the original trilogy were some of my favorite NES games.

12. Metal Slug XX (Xbox One BC)
Recommend? If you have GamePass and have a couple of hours to kill
early 90's style shoot-em-up. Was mindless fun while playing it, and glad I did, but wouldn't go out of my way to play it again.

13. Sonic CD (Xbox One BC)
Recommend? Yes, if you are a Sonic Fan
This game is pretty much more 16-bit Sonic. Nothing new, but still classic gameplay

14. Resident Evil 2 2019 (PS4)
Recommend? OMG yes
I'm biased as the original was my favorite RE game of all time. But daaaaaaamn this game is amazing. As stated before this game now sets the new bar for remakes. Unless you are against the survival horror genre, I encourage people to try this game once it hits a suitable price point for them.

15. Crackdown 3 (Xbox One)
Recommend? If you have GamePass or once it's 50% off
Not to use the overused term to describe this game, but it is fun. I'm not bashing the reviewers as I don't think this is some great game everyone must try, but it's a fun 8 hour platforming and shooting romp. Nothing more; nothing less

16. Castlevania Lords of Shadow (Xbox One BC)
Recommend? If you really enjoy character action games
As a preface, I will admit that this genre (Character action games) isn't my favorite genre. That said, this game is a bit of a slog. It doesn't bring much new to the table IMO that isn't surpassed by the original God of War trilogy, DMC series or Bayonetta series. Also the controls gave me fits at time during platforming sections, a certain boss fight and a couple of other places. I love the overal Castlevania lore and world, and that is the only reason why I kept working....and I mean working....through this game.

Currently playing:
RDR2
Octopath Traveler
Xenoblade Chronicles
REmake

Last edited:

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
It counts. Dunno why youd think an arcade game.wouldnt.

Some arcade games loop after clearing their final stage, in this case 1 loop counts as clearing the main game if you want.

PC90

Enlightened
Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Original Post

headerezk52.jpg

7) A Date in the Park (Steam - February 23th - 1 hour - 2/5)
Strange game with an even stranger ending. Not the worst way to spend an hour for free, I guess.

horizon_zero_dawn_128scjd7.jpg

8) Horizon Zero Dawn - Complete Edition (PS4 - March 2nd - 43 hours - 4/5)
Includes The Frozen Wilds. Took me a little while to get used to the combat, but once it clicked I loved it. The Frozen Wilds is great, too.

headerfnk0c.jpg

9) Paint it Back (Steam - March 4th - 64 hours - 4/5)
Easily one of the best Picross games there is. Also just bursting with content, I've been plucking away at this game for at least a year.

Currently playing
Yakuza: Dead Souls
God of War
Up Left Out

FRANKEINSTEIN

Oct 27, 2017
AZ
latest

20. Assassin's Creed: Odyssey - Legacy of the First Blade (XB1) | 7th Mar - 12 hrs | 4/5
So... loved Odyssey. Really liked the DLC but that controversy brought it down a point for me. I didn't play Kassandra as gay but I also never would have chosen Natakas as the father to Kassandra's baby. Totally would have chosen Darius though. Besides pushing me with this guy I did not care for, i really liked the rest.

Bosh

Oct 26, 2017
MAIN THREAD

images

#13: Earth Defense Force 5 (3/3/2019 ) | 9/10 | PS4| ~ # 76.5Hours | Recommend: Y
# Overall - | Aggregate of 4 components below. Decimal rounded up or down by personal bias.
Gameplay -8.4 | Tons of new enemies, insurmountable odds against hundreds of creatures is immensely enjoyable
Sound -8 | AI Characters have great banter throughout the story and explosions will surround your ears the entire way through

Story/Online -8.5 | While the story is ridiculous, the online is phenomenal and is the best way to play the game
Asking Price- 10 | 111 Missions, 4 distinct characters leads to a hell of a lot to play and replay on harder difficulties

LonestarZues

Oct 27, 2017
Master Post

18. Mass Effect Andromeda - Finally finished a replay I started last year shortly after replaying the original trilogy. I got to say I loved it more this time then I did originally back at launch. Did all the companion quests along with all the side missions (skipped most of the tasks) and really loved Jaal, Cora, and Drack's quests. The soundtrack and main quest weren't as memorable as the original trilogy, but the combat was much improved.

19. Gris - What a beautiful experience. The soundtrack was exceptional and as someone who normally hates puzzles in games these were easy enough that I didn't have to bang my head on something.

Last edited:

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
header.jpg

Game #36 - The House in Fata Morgana
Time: 34 hours

My trek into the world of visual novels continues, with what is probably the best that I will ever play, as I find it very hard to top this. Amazing writing that feels more like a actual book than any other VN I've seen so far, gorgeous art and a fantastic soundtrack coupled with the most tragic love story this side of Romeo & Juliet make this a near perfect experience. The story goes places I didn't expect, but one constant is the absolute misery and tragedy pretty much every character endures throughout, to the point where it was actually unconfortable to keep playing. And as a pretty negative guy that loves his "bad endings", for once I was praying for a happy ending in a game. It's a bit too long for it's own good and tends to not know when to stop a scene and move on, but that's about all the negative things I have to say about it, and even those are nitpicks in the big picture. Just a fantastic visual novel that while highly recomended, it's definitely not for the faint of heart, it get's very dark and like I said, unconfortable.

header.jpg

Game #37 - Assassin's Creed Odyssey: Legacy of the First Blade
Time: 12 hours

After loving AC Odyssey last year (it was almost my GOTY) I had high hopes for this DLC, especially considering the DLC for AC Origins was quite fantastic, especially the second one. Unfortunately, this was a huge disapointment all around. No new land mass (not that Odyssey's huge map needed more land mass but still), a bad story overall, with a horrible direction midway through in episode 2 that kinda kills Kassandra as a character (and Alexios? I didnt play as him) and a super rushed ending in episode 3 just left a very bad taste in my mouth. Sure it was fun to go back into the game, as Is till love the world and gameplay, but this is very much not worth anyone's time. Hopefully the Atlantis DLC is better but now I'm not so sure. At least the season pass also has the AC3 remaster right?

Main Post

Last edited:

FRANKEINSTEIN

Oct 27, 2017
AZ
H2x1_NSwitchDS_ApeOut_image1600w.jpg

21. Ape Out (Switch) | 9th Mar - 4 hrs | 5/5
Real cool game. Got frustrated quite a few times but I'd manage to get through it eventually. Really enjoyed the music and how I my rampages added to the beats.

Ted

Oct 25, 2017
-72.290091, 0.795254
Hi FRANKEINSTEIN. I'm glad you enjoyed Ape Out regardless of the frustrations but I'm curious as to what the issues were and if you're willing to expand on them? I have it on my wishlist but haven't picked it up yet.

On a semi-related note, given the layered percussion thing going on with the game I hope someone on PC ends up dreaming up a way to play it via some kind of USB drum kit for shits and giggles.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
Oh hell, I reserved a post but haven't posted any actual updates yet - time to fix that!

#1 Titanfall 2 – Completed 1/1/2019 PC – 5 hours
#2 Super Smash Bros. Ultimate – Completed 1/5/2019 Switch – 25 hours
#3 Rayman Legends – Completed 1/8/2019 Vita – 10 hours
#4 What Remains of Edith Finch – Completed 1/10/2019 PC – 2 hours
#5 Bright Memory Episode 1 – Completed 1/11/2019 PC – 1 hour
#6 Kingdom Hearts: Final Mix – Completed 1/28/2019 PS4 – 26 hours
#7 Kingdom Hearts III – Completed 2/6/2019 PS4 – 45 hours
#8 Devil May Cry – Completed 3/5/2019 PC – 5 hours
#9 Devil May Cry 2 – Completed 3/5/2019 PC – 4 hours
#10 Devil May Cry 3: Special Edition – Completed 3/6/2019 PC – 9 hours
#11 Devil May Cry 4: Special Edition – Completed 3/7/2019 PC – 9 hours
#12 Devil May Cry 5 – Completed 3/9/2019 PC – 10 hours

Titanfall 2 - I had the game on PS4 already, but decided to pick it up again with Origin Access since the friends I had played the multiplayer with on console had switched to PC last year. Finally got around to the campaign this time, and it's definitely as good as everyone says!

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - I was a little disappointed in the games lack of series staple modes like Break the Target, but World of Light was very, very good. I think I enjoyed it more than Brawl's Subspace Emissary.

Rayman Legends - Had this on my backlog for years. I platinum trophied Origins on Vita back in the day, but just... never got around to playing Legends. I think Origins is the better game, but I had a blast with this one too. Might go back to play some of the other extra levels eventually.

What Remains of Edith Finch - Thanks, Epic. I had planned on picking this up from a steam sale, but getting to play it for free is nice too. Short, sweet, I loved how each section was very distinct feeling. I LOVED the comic book aesthetic about halfway through.

Bright Memory Episode 1 - This was a random Chinese developed FPS I saw some folks chatting about on Twitter. It was cheap, and I decided to give it a go. It's not the most polished, and the TL definitely needed some work, but I enjoyed it - it'll be interesting to see what the new content offers, later.

Kingdom Hearts: Final Mix - I had originally intended to clear up my Kingdom Hearts backlog before KHIII hit, but I only managed to get through the first game. It starts off *very* slow, but I did enjoy it in the end. Never starting a new game though, fuck that.

Kingdom Hearts III - For a non Final Mix version of the game, it's very good. Obviously has its faults, but as long as you weren't over-hyped going in I'd say it's a solid end to the Xehanort saga. Can't wait to see what the Final Mix DLC brings!

Devil May Cry series - I played all 5 of them back-to-back, so I'm putting all my thoughts here. DMC1 is still great, but obviously very different from the rest of the series. I don't know why I played DMC2 but it's short so whatever. DMC3 is fantastic and everyone should play it at least once. DMC4SE is still only half a game. DMC5 is fantastic but I felt that the level design got a little dull. I think DMC3 is still my favorite, but DMC4/5 have their strong points, too.

FRANKEINSTEIN

Oct 27, 2017
AZ
Hi FRANKEINSTEIN. I'm glad you enjoyed Ape Out regardless of the frustrations but I'm curious as to what the issues were and if you're willing to expand on them? I have it on my wishlist but haven't picked it up yet.

On a semi-related note, given the layered percussion thing going on with the game I hope someone on PC ends up dreaming up a way to play it via some kind of USB drum kit for shits and giggles.
Oh I didn't mean it as an issue. Just a few levels took a ridiculous amount of tries. It would just start to feel like I was never going to pass a few of the levels. But then I'd take a break or try a new tactic or just get a lucky run and do it. I gave the game a 5/5. It's really great.

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Main Post Here. Status: 6/52

f6sGsfs.png

[24/2/19 - 10/3/19] ~40 hours.

I just finished my sixth game for the year...and it was another replay. Oops. I should stop doing that.

There was a rationale behind it at least. I'm a big fan of the Fire Emblem series, but I've never actually finished Radiant Dawn. It's been a white whale sitting in my backlog for far too long, so I decided that this was the year I was finally going to beat it! The problem is that it's a direct sequel, and it's been like a decade since I last played through Path of Radiance. So I had to refresh myself on it first, right? ...It's this line of thinking that keeps my backlog healthy.

Anyway, 40 hours (and a lot of fucking around resetting for ideal level-ups) later, and I'm done. My views on Path of Radiance haven't really changed with this replay. I think it's easily one of the best games in the series. The story is standard fare for the most part, but so many aspects come together to elevate it. The cast is strong, the mechanics solid and the maps varied, but it's the way the base camp works that really sets the Tellius games apart.

Having cutscenes, supports and extra conversations all take place in one location is brilliant. It's just the perfect structure for a Fire Emblem game imo. It feels great to have this place to come home to after every battle, and I love how they streamlined and integrated the support system into it. Not having to screw around placing units next to each other in battle was super refreshing.

The banner above shows my team for this playthrough. Very traditional, but I had a lot of fun with them. Jill and Marcia were powerhouses of course, but Soren and Lethe were standouts in their own right. (My nostalgia for them led to me making sure they leveled up in the right way).

My only real criticisms are that the game is too easy (BEXP doesn't help with this) and that it's incredibly s-l-o-w even with the battle animations turned off. Seriously, enemy turns can take minutes to complete. I'd love a remaster collection or faithful remake of the Tellius games that gave us some QOL improvements like that, without changing much else about them. Hidari art, please!

9/10

Last edited:

rahji

Oct 25, 2017
7. For Honor - Finished on 2/25/2019 Time: 15 hours

Finished the campaign and dabbled a bit into the multiplayer. It is suprisingly fun and quite unique in terms of fighting mechanics. The multiplayer is still quite lively, but as a newcomer you definitly need some help. It is a little bit hard to get into because the mechanics are quite deep. The tutorial is good but it doesn't teach everything. I could imagine that this is my multiplayer go to game because it is so easy to play a round of dominion and then play something else.

Coming up: DMCV, almost beat it. And then the Witness and Modern Warfare Remastered.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Another 10 games down. I didn't mean for this portion to become so Capcom focused, but that's how things worked out. (I ended up buying a Hori PS4 Mini Gamepad for my PS4 problems, which worked like a charm.)

Main Post

11: Kingdom Hearts III (Start: 1/28/2019. End: 2/1/2019)

I got... a little obsessed with this one. Can you blame me?

Played on PS4.

12: Nier Automata (Start: 12/22/2018. End: 2/9/2019)

This game was really damn good. With a god tier sound track.

Played on PS4.

13: Mega Man X4 (Start & End: 2/10/2019)

Probably the highlight of the X series outside of the first one. Although I don't think Zero's story is as tragic as presented because of a variety of reasons. X's route feels tacked on as well.

Played as part of the MMXLC on Switch.

14: Resident Evil Remake (Start: 2/11/2019. End: 2/23/2019)

In anticipation of REmake 2, I decided to go back and play the original REmake. Solid game.

Played on PS4.

15: Final Fantasy IX (Start: 2/16/2019. End: 2/25/2019)

Mostly a very charming game with some noticeable flaws. The "special features" make it easy to get past some of the rough parts of the game, and makes grinding super easy. That card game is still awful, though.

Played on Switch.

16: Mega Man X5 (Start & End: 3/2/2019)

You can tell the X series was running out of steam, and that this was supposed to bring some finality to it. Would have been fine if this were the end, but it never hits the highs of 4.

Played as part of the MMXLC2 on Switch.

17: Mega Man X6 (Start & End: 3/2/2019)

If I thought the X series was running out of steam with 5, they were running on fumes with this one.

18: Mega Man X7 (Start: 3/3/2019. End: 3/4/2019)

I hate this game. I thought X6 was the low point of the franchise, but X6 is merely a below-average Mega Man game. This? This was just awful.

19: Resident Evil 2 Remake (Start: 2/27/2019. End: 3/9/2019)

This was an amazing remake. It took what was an already great game, and made it even better. This is a legitimate contender for GOTY.

Played on PS4.

20: Mega Man X8 (Start & End: 3/10/2019)

After the horrors of X7, I still came back for more. X8 is... okay... I'd probably rank it toward the bottom half of the X series, but it is so much better than X7 that it isn't even funny.

Oct 25, 2017
18. Devil May Cry (12 hours)
Beating this and the original Resident Evil back-to-back, you can really see the influence of the latter in the former. Anyway, the game is great, even if its controls are rather dated compared to more modern games following in its footsteps.

Full list to date

Ted

Oct 25, 2017
-72.290091, 0.795254
Oh I didn't mean it as an issue. Just a few levels took a ridiculous amount of tries. It would just start to feel like I was never going to pass a few of the levels. But then I'd take a break or try a new tactic or just get a lucky run and do it. I gave the game a 5/5. It's really great.

Thanks for the response. That was really what I wondered. I'm a bit impatient and not a particularly skilled game player so I guess I really wondered just how challenging it is. Thanks again FRANKEINSTEIN.

Spyware

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Weekly update 10!

Three games this week. Had no plan to play any of these actually. Was just gonna spend this week with The Sims 4 and Guild Wars 2!
But I stumbled upon a bundle of Glass Masquerade DLC. I loved the base game when I played it a couple of years ago but had absolutely no clue that there was DLC for it. And when I installed it to replay it and play the DLC, I saw "Glass Masquerade 2: Illusions is live, finally!" in the news section in my library. What!? I had no idea a sequel was even in the works. There are just too many good games out there to even keep up with old favs.

Then a dear friend started streaming Grim Fandango. I have heard "omg you should play it, you will loooove it" too many times to even count and while I absolutely felt like that was completely correct, I just never got that feeling of wanting to play. So when he started streaming it I was happy that I could experience the game that way. Try to figure out the puzzles together and whatnot. But... no, it just created this huge urge to play it for myself. Finally! And so I did.

Summary? A fantastic gaming week!

34sjNhP.png

21. Glass Masquerade (PC) | 4th Mar - 4hrs | 4/5

Still just as good as it was the first time I played it! There is definitely a lack of superb jigsaw games out there (if you know any, please tell me). The game is gorgeous, relaxing and I really loved how the DLC was just seamlessly woven into the game. It would have gotten a 5 if it was just a bit more challenging. It's actually not the least bit challenging and it works due to the relaxing experience it gives, but I would have liked a "hard mode".​

b2jkQKv.png

22. Glass Masquerade 2: Illusions (PC) | 6th Mar - 15hrs | 4/5

This one has a hard mode! In both the first game and in this game's normal mode, the pieces of the puzzles rotate themselves. In hard mode you have to do it yourself, and that gets hard! Puzzles don't take just a couple of minutes in that mode. I played through both modes separately so the game isn't actually 15 hours long for one playthrough. It is longer and more intricate than the first game overall, but the boards are all circles which is a bit of a step backwards from the differently shaped ones in the first game. Art-wise this is a nightmare version of the first one. I the first you puzzle together dreamy pictures based on different countries and in this game it's just one twisted picture after another! I loved it. It gets a 4 mostly because of the circle boards and the system behind going into hard mode. You can't choose to just play hard mode overall, and instead you have to press a non-labeled button inside the puzzle. It wasn't just once that I mistakenly started the normal mode puzzle before I remembered that I was supposed to press that button.​

NB3611q.png

23. Grim Fandango (PC) | 9th Mr - 11hrs | 5/5

So yeah, after many years I finally played it. I actually got it long before the remastered version but still never even tried it. I get this sort of anxiety when people claim a game is amazing and that I "should" love it. What if I don't? What if I can't see what's so great about it. Then I'll just feel odd and stupid. So I don't play them and can always just blame me not loving it on that. But yeah, most of the time I do love the games that people tell me I "should" love when I eventually play them. I just still have to fight through that initial resistance. As for the game, I don't think I have to say much. It's a game with great characters, fun humor, a nice story and mostly good puzzles. A couple of the puzzles were a bit on the "but why" level but that's point & click games for you!​

Master Post!

FRANKEINSTEIN

Oct 27, 2017
AZ
Hellblade-Senuas-Sacrifice-Cover-1.jpg

22. Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice (XB1) | 9
10th Mar - 9 hrs | 5/5
I bought this day 1 on PSN and never got around to playing more than a hour or so. Bought it again physically for Xbox and now finally got around to it when I saw it on Game Pass. Outstanding game. I wouldn't call it fun because the whole game was nerve wracking but one hell of an experience.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
13. Rayman Origins - 10/03/2019

Apparently this is the year where I start hating all my favourite games because I found Origins to be kind of boring to play through this time whereas my usual sense of it is of a top tier platformer in the same ballpark as Donkey Kong Country 2 and Yoshi's Island.

Oct 27, 2017
Main Post

11. Mega Man 11 - PS4
Completed 3/8/19
Score - 8/10

Fun throwback to old school Mega Man but with slick graphics. I wasn't sold on the graphic update until I actually started playing the game. I really enjoyed the aesthetic and felt it worked much better than Mighty No. 9. I found it extremely difficult at first. After taking down two of the bosses I found the game to become much easier. The bosses were never too tough but the platforming could be brutal. I died many many times over some tough jumps. More so than in any of the other Mega Man games. Definitely a great Mega Man game but still not at the top. My series ranking goes: 2 - 3 - 4 - 9 - 5 - 11 - 10 - 6 - 1 - 8 - 7

header.jpg

12. King's Quest II: Romancing the Throne - PC
Completed 3/10/19
Score - 7/10

I enjoyed this more than the original but it is still a tough game to get back into. Typing exactly what you need to do can be confusing and tricky. I enjoyed the little plot there was more this go round. Finding the keys to unlock the door was neat and it felt like a legit quest. I was stuck quite a few times near the end but was able to overcome, only using a walkthrough once. Eventually I will move on to III.

pic1.JPG

Ted

Oct 25, 2017
-72.290091, 0.795254
Rhaknar, I see what's happening here, absolving yourself of blame whilst adding one more post towards page 15. Devious, devious, devious. Definitely don't reply to this to tell me I'm wrong. That definitely wouldn't help get us to page 15... just for you.

And as for you saenima....

:)