• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Memory Pak

Aug 29, 2018
OyB1Nttm.jpg

27. KickBeat - Special Edition (2014, Wii U) ★★★☆☆
Fun concept: this is a rhythm game dressed up like a brawler. Play as the lamest guy in the world while he roundhouses fools on the dance floor! I fear this is the closest we'll get to a Romeo Must Die game adaptation. Thank God the cut-scenes were skippable because the story is a unique flavour of cringy awfulness I haven't endured in a long time.
Rhythm games live or die by their music selection, and this one's rather focused on 2 genres: early-to-mid 2000s rock (Rob Zombie, Papa Roach, Marilyn Manson) and a whole lot of EDM (Pendulum, Celldweller and a few others). There's maybe two hip-hop tracks to to add some variety (including one by Styles of Beyond). Bummer there weren't more of those, hip-hop beats work really well for this!
Anyway, the game's decent, and has a lot of replay value if you really wanna get into it. The final boss battle took some getting used to, and I'm not sure why. I don't think there was a sudden spike in input lag, but it took me a dozen tries to nail the song.

8D1fQjem.jpg

28. Koi DX (2016, Wii U) ★★☆☆☆
Short, stylish game in which you play as a fish. Swim in ponds, lakes, and polluted sewers, find other fish and solve minor puzzles with them. Clocking in at maybe an hour of playtime, it's clear this is meant as a short, relaxing experience. The game partially succeeds in this regard, but its meant-to-be-chill music is a bit too twee and saccharine for my tastes. I'm sure many folks will find it relaxing, but it got on my nerves after half an hour.
Overall I kinda liked playing this, and it does succeed in telling a kinda cute story if you bother to pick up the collectables, but ultimately it's just a very slight experience.

SLqmDJEm.jpg

29. Swords & Soldiers HD (2014, Wii U) ★★★☆☆
Had begun playing this earlier in the year but got sidetracked by CastleStorm, amusingly. Having now finished Swords & Soldiers, I can say it's sort of interesting, especially for what once was a WiiWare title, but I'm still not massively enthused by it. The game's played as a side-view strategy game in which you manage 2 separate resources in order to spawn units and use various magic powers respectively. Most levels are doable by a sort of slow-motion Zerg rush, battle-of-attrition style, but a few of them basically have a sequence of unit deployment you need to crack in order to win. Good mechanics but it does get old quick.
Swords & Soldiers is all kinda neat, works well, feels polished... But the style is a real bummer for me. Basically all the factions are just motivated by food ("we must conquer the giant chilli", etc.) and not a single joke landed for me, despite the game fielding its very best 2010 Internet meme references. Sigh. The three campaigns (Vikings, Imperial China, Aztec) also means the writers & artists went for a lot of cheap cultural jokes and caricatures. The Chinese troops sometimes speak in broken English, that sorta stuff. Very dated shit. Since the gameplay is decent I'll go with three stars, but just barely.

LonestarZues

Oct 27, 2017
Master Post

65. Gears 5 - Another great game in the series and reminds me why this is my favorite Microsoft franchise. The combat encounters were really well done and the story was very good overall, although I think it ended to abruptly. Either way I'll be looking forward to the next game or story dlc if they add any.

66. Life is Strange 2 Episode 4 - Best episode of the season by far so far and really looking forward to playing the finale in December. Sean is best bro and loved all the interactions in this episode.

67. Man of Medan - Not as good as Until Dawn, but still enjoyed my 4 hours with it. Had 1 in my group die so I did better then in Until Dawn where only 1 survived. Looking forward to Little Hope and hopefully they can improve on their facial animations as those still look off.

68. Greedfall - A big step up in quality for Spiders. As a whole I enjoyed the game. Really liked the character classes and builds you could come up with and most of the characters were really well done. Hopefully we get a sequel as I feel they're on the right track to making a memorable game down the line.

Last edited:

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
header.jpg

Game #87 - Blasphemous
Time: 25 hours

Sometimes it feels that developers make games specifically for you, like they have some sort of brain scanning machine that checks all the stuff that you like, blends it all together and pop out a game just for you. Blasphemous is that for me. A religious-gothic Metroidvania with amazing pixel art and a ton of Dark Souls-like sidequests, a meaty campaign with a ton of locations and enemies, and while it ticked every box for me and I loved it, I can just as easily see it being divisive and not gel with people. The game is quite grotesque artistically, and it uses a lot of religious themes and imagery, which I love (although I am not religious in the slightest), which can turn people off. Gameplay wise, it plays ok although you don't have much in your arsenal, you only have a sword and you can unlock a few special moves and magic spells, but most of the game you will be using the same moves. It's really the level design, the interconnected zones and the many Souls-style obtuse sidequests that really made me love it and make me want to explore every nook of the game (it took me 25 hours to get 95% completion, but you can just as easily finish the game in abotu 10-12). The music is good but very subdued, there's a nice weightness to the character and combat, hits feel visceral, and like I said before, the art and aniamtions are just amazing, particularly on the smaller Switch screen where I played it. I loved it, and I feel it's at the very least a very good game in it's genre, but I've seen other people be dismissive of its gameplay and platforming, so your mileage may vary.

Main Post

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
41. Creature in the Well - 12/09/2019

The worst thing I can say about this game is that it fails to reach its full potential. There are times when the bullet hell pinball gameplay is a lot of fun but sometimes it's actively painful. The environments are haunting and visually pleasing but nothing sticks out in memory. You want to explore for gear but all the rooms are the exact same.

And the titular Creature is the biggest weenie I've ever seen in a game. It just taunts you over the course of the game and gets involved in pithy boss fights, and when you die it gently carries you out of the mountain.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
78. Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood
final-fantasy-14-stormblood-artwork_2803407.jpg

Wow, beat this in 1 week. I did not enjoy the story as much as Heavensward but the voice acting was great and I didn't mind some of the characters introduced.
There were some nice boss fights in this too and the music was great.

Oct 25, 2017
1. Hidden Folks
2. Horizon: Zero Dawn
3. Horizon: Zero Dawn: The Frozen Wilds
4. What Never Was
5. What Remains of Edith Finch
6. Bladed Fury
7. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
8. 9 Hours 9 Persons 9 Doors
9. The Division
10. Hacknet Labyrinths
11. Hacknet
12. Virtue's Last Reward
13. Resident Evil 2
14. Darksiders III
15. Prey (2006)
16. Donkey Kong Country Returns Tropical Freeze
17. Devil May Cry HD
18. Devil May Cry V
19. Slayaway Camp
20. Sekiro
21. The Room Two
22. Crimsonland
23. Far Cry 5
24. Katana Zero
25. Zombotron
26. Super Mutant Alien Assault
27. Mortal Kombat 11
28. Burning Daylight
29. Far Cry 5: Hours of Darkness
30. Far Cry 5: Lost on Mars
31. Far Cry 5: Dead Living Zombies
32. Tales from Space: About a Blob
33. Far Cry: New Dawn
34. Resogun
35. Guacamelee Super Turbo Championship Edition
36. Guacamelee 2
37. Shovel Knight: Spectre of Torment
38. Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon
39. Gears of War Ultimate Edition
40. Bayonetta 2
41. Timespinner
42. Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night
43. Super Mario Maker 2
44. South Park: The Fractured But Whole
45. South Park: The Fractured But Whole - From Dusk til Casa Bonita
46. South Park: The Fractured But Whole - Bring the Crunch
47. Gears of War 4
48. Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
49. New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe
50. Gato Roboto
51. New Super Luigi U
52. Metagal
53. Super Metroid
54. Hollow Knight

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
header.jpg

Game #88 - Axiom Verge
Time: 10 hours

Keeping the "metroidvania" train going, this time with a replay of one of the best the genre has seen the last few years, and I'm happy to say I enjoyed my playthrough this time around just as much as I did originally on PC, maybe even more so if only for the fact that I played on Switch portable this time around, and the smaller screen does wonders for the game's... peculiar art style (ok, its just ugly alright?). Heavily inspired by Metroid and HR Giger, Axiom Verge tells a neat little sci-fi story of a scientist stuck in a bizarre dimension, meanwhile having great level design and more items and weapons than you can shake a stick at. As mentioned before, the art style is a bit on the ugly side, both because it emulated a 8bit style (instead of most indies that go for 16bit) but also by choice as it's very alien and bizarre, using a lot of garrish colors and weird architecture. The soundtrack, while great, is just as off-putting as the art style, all of which makes for a game that always had me with an unease feeling in the back of my mind. It's not horror per se, but its unconfortable, it's hard to explain. Also hard to explain, how it was made by just 1 guy, which is a ridiculous acomplishment. A must play for any fan of the genre, particularly on a Switch or Vita as the smaller screen really helps the art style in my opinion.

header.jpg

Game #89 - The Office Quest
Time: 3 hours

This was a cool little point and click puzzle game, and while the gameplay is quite simple (it started as a iOS game so most of your interactions are limited to clicking various objects and if you have the correct item, it automaticall uses it), the puzzles are quite good and especially charming, as the art style really brings the game together. It's not very long and some puzzles can be a bit obtuse (I had to check a solution for one of them), but if you can find it cheap it's well worth your time if you are a fan of point and click games (this one more puzzle and less adventure tho).

Main Post

Last edited:

JustTom

May 28, 2018
Germany...
I'm down for another round after I failed last year! 2019, here we go!

1. Celeste (Beaten: January 1st) on XBox One
PbZR53r.jpg

What a great game to kick off 2019! The platforming is top notch and the story really got me. Had a blast playing this. It only took me 729 deaths to beat the game. However, it never felt unfair at any point. Every single time I knew "yea I ducked up"

Rating: 10 out of 10

2. The Messenger (Beaten: January 2nd) on Nintendo Switch
IrXNDdI.jpg

What a great game. Indies are totally clicking with me at the moment. Loved how the game was a sidescroller in its first half and then turned into a metroidvania like game. The gameplay is just pure fun! The time travelling feature is also a great addition, specifically the shifting between the different styles of music & graphics. What I also liked is the shopkeeper. I was laughing so hard a lot of times. This guy is a genius. I highly recommend playing this game if you are into anything of the above mentioned.

Rating: 9 out of 10

3. Assassins Creed Odyssey (Beaten: January 7th) on PlayStation 4 Pro
W4SaoYw.jpg

So, here is the thing about AC:0 for me. I really looked forward to playing this game. I enjoyed AC:O quite a lot and the way AC went after all the other games. When I heard about an AC game taking place in ancient Greek I was like 'OMG I NEED THIS!!' cause I am a sucker for Greek history and mythologie. And I enjoyed the game for like the first 15 to 20 hours. After that the game just felt like a drag. The map is way too big if you ask me and it just gets super annoying travelling 7km just to continue the main quest. Furthermore, I did a lot of sidequests at the beginning of the game, however, I stopped at some point because of the reason that the game is way too big if you ask me. This lead to me no longer matching the levels for the main quests consequently leading to me getting super pissed cause they kind of force me to do sidequests even though I don't want to. I was kind of tormenting myself through the game for like the last 17 hours. Based on that the rating is still pretty high.

Rating: 6 out of 10

4. Kirby Star Allies (Beaten: January 8th) on Nintendo Switch
msKYoy7.jpg

I played the demo way back when it got released and thought 'Hey this game isnt too bad, it actually is fun, I dont see why the reviews arent that good.' Time passed and I bought the game back in December half-price. Unfortunately, the demo already offers everything the game is capable of. The game is way too easy and just repetitive, so I was glad when I finished the story mode. Totally understand the reviews after beating the game.

5. Moss (Beaten: January 8th) on PSVR
qybWWQD_d.jpg

Had a good time playing Moss. It maybe a bit short and it is only chapter 1 yet but I already look forward to Book 2. The last part with the snake was especially nice, I think. It always blows my mind how much depth VR can add to a game like this. Without VR this game wouldn't work the way it does.

Rating: 7 out of 10

6. Splatoon 2 Octo-Expansion (Beaten: January 11th) on Nintendo Switch
0q20NAW.jpg

Really enjoyed playing the expansion, even though I think it was way more difficult than the original game. However, I really enojyed the different types a levels like rebuilding a statue, dodging or trying to beat a level with only a limited amount of ink. This really was a step up from the original game. Wonder what Splatoon 3 will be like. Already looking forward!

Rating: 8 out of 10

7. The World Ends With You Final Remix (Beaten: January 22nd) on Nintendo Switch
d1MN5VW.jpg

Phew, this is a tough one. I totally dig the games style and story. Additionally, I really like the gameplay. The world isnt too big and I like how you have to work with gestures to attack. BUT: The controls in the Nintendo Switch are just the worst. Playing in docked-mode with a pointer sucks because you cannot react as fast as you would on a Nintendo DS with a stylus and playing in handheld-mode is weird as well because there is no proper way of holding the Switch and have a good grip while playing the game.

8. Bayonetta 2 (Beaten: 25th January) on Nintendo Switch
TWIJxc6.jpg

Really enjoyed it. The gameplay is just one of the best of its genre. Combining this with a fun character like Bayonetta and one will have a great time for sure. However, I liked Bayonetta 1 better. Hoping Bayonetta 3 will top both of them :)

Rating: 8.5 out of 10

9. Owlboy (Beaten 4th February) on Nintendo Switch
DramMuh.jpg

Bought this day one because of all the hype surrounding it. Ended up being disappointed and returning after almost a year since its release day. The game succeeds at telling an interesting story but could improve a lot on gameplay. I am not really fond of the controlls tbh. Overall, the game is nice but not a must-play.

10. Resident Evil 2:Remake (Beaten 10th February) on Playstation 4 Pro
PTIE8fn.jpg

What. A. Game. Love every minute with this. Really gives me the feeling of survival horror cause I was low on ammo all the time, struggling. Close to the end I was even struggling with health cause I couldnt find any health items. The level building is superb as you get access to more and more rooms the longer you play. Only things bothering me is Mr. X because I do not know his function or intention yet (only played Leon's campaign so far). I highly recommend playing this game!

11. Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom (Beaten 16th February) on Nintendo Switch
vLPZyn1.jpg

What a marvelous game. Enjoyed every second playing it. Music was awesome, gameplay was awesome, controls were on point, graphics are amazing. Go and buy this game! One of the best Metroidvanias I have played so far. (See my short love letter in the Monster Boy OT in the hangout section)

12. Detroit: Become Human (Beaten 22nd February) on Playstation 4 Pro
Xpkf7q3.jpg

I expected nothing but in the end really liked it, especially Conner's story and Kara's story. What I really disliked was Markus story because it is is just what you expect of an Android-Human Story. Markus being the link between the stories was quite a letdown for me because his story is generic and boring, imho. Nevertheless, Kara and Connor story arcs made up for it! Had a good time playing the game.

Rating 7.5 out of 10

13. Delta Rune (beaten on March 3rd) on Nintendo Switch
ix8vkYo.png

I am a sucker for Toby Fox's games. Loved Undertale, loved Delta Rune. Really love how it is setting things up for Undertale so far. I really do hope there is more to come in the NEAR future. Keep up the good work Toby!

14. The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild: Champion's Ballad (Beaten on 11th March) on Nintendo Switch
Yxsa5Rb.jpg

Returning to Hyrule after a one year break felt awesome! It felt like coming home immediately. The new shrines were great and I specifically liked the last dungeon. If you haven't tried the DLC yet, go ahead, it is totally worth your time and money. Plus: The motorcycle is just fun!

15. Travis Strikes Again: No More Heroes (Beaten on 11th March) on Nintendo Switch
omYNgaN.jpg

Man, I really was into No More Heroes back then. I remember playing it quite a lot. Only played liked 2 or 3 hours of part II, so I barely remember that one but Travis Strikes Back just is a dull game. What the game does pretty well is the metacommunication and knowing that it is a game. It gave me a good laugh from time to time. HOWEVER, the gameplay is just dull, boring and repetitive. The fighting is freakin' boring because all you can change are the abilities and that's it. Consequently, I was rather disappointed...

Rating: 5 out of 10

16. Resident Evil Revelations (Beaten 15th March) on Nintendo Switch
RHSgiXz.jpg

Bought the game when it went on sale because I really enjoyed the Resident Evil 2 remake. Revelations did not disappoint but it is not great either. It was fun but nothing special. If you dig some Resident Evil I think the game is worth your time. Already looking forward to Revelations 2.

17. Resident Evil Revelations 2 (Beaten on 22nd March) on Nintendo Switch
HNQabZ9.png

Overall, RER2 was quite enjoyable. However, I didn't really dig the Coop part. Since I usually play by myself, this was rather annoying then a nice feature. Story was alright but nothing surprising or special.

18. The Division 2 (Beaten at some point in April) on Playstation 4 Pro
PftIgmP.jpg

Had quite a good time back with The Division so I decided to jump into the Division 2. I really is kind of the best loot shooter out there in terms of online games. Gameplay feels great and I had blast playing it with a friend. Might return eventually!

19. Cuphead (Beaten on 19th April) on Nintendo Switch
p2OA2g6.jpg

So, here's the deal with Cuphead: Loved it on PC, loved it on Xbox One, loved it on Switch. I love EVERYTHING about this game: style, gameplay, music, difficulty. It's up there with my favourite games. Hoping for a PS4 release at some point, so I can buy it a fourth time!

20. New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe (Beaten on April 20th) on Nintendo Switch
HRzHFMp.jpg

Had a Jump'n'Run itch I had to scratch, luckily my nephew had the game, so he came over and we beat it in like 2.5hrs by taking all the secret exits and shortcuts. Already played it back on the Wii U but enjoyed it less this time. It just feels outdated, I don't know why. Happy I did not buy the game.

21. Bioshock (Beaten on April 30th) on Playstation 4 Pro
la8GRNz.jpg

Talked to a friend the other day how great the Bioshock games were back then. Decided to buy the Bioshock Trilogy and did not get disappointed. Fell in love with these games all over again. Back in 2007 I finished Bioshock twice (good and bad ending) and it was just as much fun finishing the game as it was back then. Simply put: 'Would you kindly...' is one of the greatest plottwists in videogames history.

22. Bioshock 2 (Beaten on May 6th) on Playstation 4 Pro
34t0nL8.jpg

While Bioshock 2 still is a good shooter it is missing freshness compared to Bioshock. I guess that why it kind of falls flat for me compared to Bioshock. Gameplay is great though. It really is kind of different to play a Big Daddy. Nevertheless, I enjoyed Bioshock way more.

23. Bioshock Infinite (Beaten on May 8th) on Playstation 4 Pro
lpec8Bz.jpg

Simply put: Just freaking amazing. This game is a masterpiece. Elisabeth is such an interesting character and so is the story evolving around her. There is always a lighthouse, there's always a man, there's always a city. Please play this game if you haven't!

24. The Swords of Ditto (Beaten on May 8th) on Playstation 4 Pro
psjZX2e.png

Had this game for a while cause I kind of like the style and ALttP gameplay. In the end the game was kind of a letdown, that is why I beat the final boss once and put the game aside. It is kind of slow and the fighting is too simple.

25. Super Mario Sunshine (Beaten on May 18th) on Nintendo Gamecube
EuJg8fe.jpg

In the past 17 years I have started the game several times, never got beyond collecting 4 shines. Mario Sunshine remained as the one Super Mario game I hadnt played, up to this point. I have to to say: The game is a lot of fun! I had a blast playing this game within the last week. Sometimes it can be frustrating but after beating a difficult passage I felt relieved! I even consinder Super Mario Sunshine as better game than Odyssey since Odyssey falls flat on a lot of things. Plus: I am on a Gamecube streak right now so there is more tome come (just bought Luigi's Mansion and Eternal Darkness!)

26. Katana Zero (beaten on June 1st) on Nintendo Switch
XtUksI8.jpg

Had a great time playing this. Gameplay, music and story were fun. It's basically a sidescrolling Hotline Miami. Highly recommending this if you like this kind of game.

Rating 8.5 out of 10

HALF WAY THERE!

27. Luigi's Mansion (Beaten on June 2nd) on Nintendo Gamecube
odxCMGn.jpg

What a game. Had a blast playing this. Only thing I did not like was being send from the top floor to the bottom floor for several times in the last quarter. The way was pretty long without anything happening. Seemed like lengthening the game. Otherwise, I had a great experience. Can't wait for Luigi's Mansion 3.

28. Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon (Beaten on June 11th) on Nintendo Switch
9AdzHoC.jpg

Don't know how I ended up buying this game but had a blast playing it. Reminds me of why I love Metroidvania so much. Can't wait for Ritual of the Night now!

29. Cadence of Hyrule (Beaten on June 15th) on Nintendo Switch
313vDPm.jpg

What a gem of a game. The remixes are just amazing and so is the gameplay. Already loved CotN, so this is a match made in heaven. Please, please, please go and buy this game.

30. Persona 3 Dancing Moonlight (Beaten on June 16th) on Playstation 4 Pro
8MgkXIM.jpg

Well, dont know what I expected. This was boring and dull. Think I'll just skip P5D. Liked P4D, but this one was not worth my time.

Rating: 4 out of 10

31. Sonic 3 & Knuckles (Beaten on 17th June) on Sega MegaDrive
uDOEydh.jpg

Somehow felt the urge to replay one of my favourite childhood games. Did not get disappointed. It was even better then I remembered. I'm still in love with 2D Sonic, so give me my Sonic Mania 2!

Rating 9.5 out of 10

32. Blood & Truth (Beaten on 20th Junhe) on Playstation 4 Pro
VJZwaYr.jpg

Phew, I am so glad I am done with this game. Based on the reviews and what I saw before the game was released, I felt like this game is going to be amazing. In the end, it was kind of boring. No real surprises gameplaywise. Controlls were kind of janky. Waiting for anither Astro Bot experiecen..

Rating: 4.5 out of 10

33. Super Ghouls'n Ghosts (Beaten on 21st June) on SNES
WoJdx8q.jpg

Once you get the hang of it, this game is amazing. It is challeging and a lot of fun. Do let the game break you because it seems impossible to beat, at first. After 3 levels you got used to the game and it'll get easiert. Loved it!

34. Quackshot - starring Donal Duck (Beaten on 21st June) on Sega MegaDrive
vNzx9Tv.jpg

As a kid, I was never able to beat this game. The tiger defeated me every f***ing time. So I came back as an adult and beat the game. It was okay but not as good as I remembered. Nevertheless, I got closure :)

Rating 6 out of 10

35. Super Mario Maker 2 (Beaten on 30th June) on Nintendo Switch
6tvlJOR.jpg

At first I did not plan on buying this game and I do not even know why I bought the but I LOVE it. It is SO much fun. For now I just rebuilt Peach's Castle, so there are many more hours to come. If you like Mario you should give it a try.

36. Viewtiful Joe (Beaten on 4th July) on Nintendo Gamecube
7WDKy3H.jpg

Closure, after all these years. This game was quite hard back than and it still is. I am glad I was finally able to beat it. I still love Viewtiful Joe and I hope there will be a Remaster or VJ3. Fingers crossed.

Rating: 9.5 out of 10

37. Viewtiful Joe 2 (Beaten 6th July) on Nintendo Gamecube
MDSkr54.jpg

Well, basically it is more of the same which is not bad in this case. However, VJ1 is the better game to me cause it kind of introduced everything and SIlvia is kind of a letdown. In addition, the difficulty in VJ1 is WAY higher which is why the game is more compelling to me. Nevertheless, this is a great game and I am just splitting hairs.

38. Final Fantasy VII (Beaten on 8th July) on Playstation 4 Pro
lJlWGgX.jpg

First time ever I played this game, the FFVIIR hype made me do it. Have to say, while the visuals are outdated (of course they are), the gmeplay and story are still fun. Yet, I am curious how they will change everything to make it suitable for PS4 era. Had fun playing the original one.

39. My Friend Pedro (Beaten on 9th July) on Nintendo Switch
sCMjKLm.jpg

Oh well, it was kind of an impulse purchase. The game was alright but after a few levels just more of the same, nothing special. If you like these kind of games, go for it. Otherwise, wait for a sale, it is rather short and not worth the money..

40. The Wonderful 101 (beaten 12th July) on Nintendo Wii U
YFk1SFr.jpg

Thanks for hyping me up for this ERA. There is so much Bayonetta in it but with a fun turn. Had a blast playing this. Now I do understand why everyone wants a Switch port, I am joining these people. It was an honour to rescue dearth in the end. And now: Team, unite up!

Rating 9.5 out of 10

41. Guacamelee 2 (Beaten on 17th July) on Nintendo Switch
LjtmC1d.jpg

Had a decent time playing this game, it is up there between the better metroidvania games. If you liked Guacamelee and are up for some more, go get it, you won't be disappointed.

42. Wonder Boy and the Dragon's Trap (Beaten on 18th) on Nintendo Switch
N2JNPiv.jpg

This turned out to be rather short. Nevertheless, I had fun playing this, even though it does not even come close to Wonder Boy and the Cursed Kingdom. Anyway, visuals and music are awesome. Gameplay is, because it sticks to the original, rather flat but still enjoyable.

43. Thimbleweed Park (Beaten on 20th July) on Nintendo Switch
RtaPXVT.jpg

Thimbleweed Park was my first adventure game, ever. Besides watching my older brother play Toonstruck and Leisure Suit Larry back in the days, I never had contact with this genre. I know, Thimbleweed Park has a lot of references to older Ron Gilbert games, so I am missing out on these, however, overall I enjoyed the game. While sometimes the steps one has to take or too small, I like the whole idea of this genre and solving a puzzle is redeeming, in a way. I guess I would have enjoyed the game way more on a proper PC since playing these kind of games with a controller feels wrong and not inuitive at all. The touch controlls on the Switch did not make for a proper mouse, unfortunately.

44. Diablo 3 Eternal Collection (Beaten on 25th July) on Nintendo Switch
UEKb7SQ.png

So, this was the third Diablo III version I beat. Started on PS3 back then, moved to PS4 with Reaper of Souls and now I got the Eternal Collection for Switch, as you might guess, I really like this game. There is nothing wrong with the Switch version, it is a great port but I dont think I will put another 100+ hours into this version as I did on my PS4.

45. Doom (Beaten on 1st August) on Nintendo Switch
lIB9LSQ.png

My first Doom back then was Doom 3, I only knew Doom and Doom 2 from watching my brother playing these games. Now, as they got a release, I bought all three of them and I have to say: What kind of beast ist Doom? The game absolutely holds up today, had a lot of fun. Only the music can be a pain in the neck after some time.

46. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (Beatn on 1st August) on Nintendo Wii
nRzZAbN.jpg

After putting the game down twice before I finally pulled through and it feels great. Great game but it surely takes its time before things kick off. However, I did not like the backtracking a lot. Nevertheless, a great game and it sure does have some great dungeons!

47. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (Beaten on 3rd August) on New Nintendo 3DS
Zuml2d4.jpg

The weakest Zelda game I have played so far. I just dig the whole concept with the time travel thing. Makes the game redundant and boring imho.

48. Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 (Beaten on 14th August) on Nintendo Switch
k0XOuqd.jpg

To be honest, I expected the game to be way better. The combat did not feel smooth to me and the story is just not memorable at all since it is pretty close to the cinemtic universe, so there is a missed chance storywise. Nevertheless, had a decent time and got introduced to some new characters I did not know before (only played MUA1 & 2 and watched the movies). Overall I had a decent time.

49. Sekiro Shadows Die Twice (Beaten on 14th August) on Playstation 4 Pro
fYDJjIJ.jpg

Sold the game before since I was not able to defeat Genichiro. 4 month later I bought the game again and started all over again. For some reason I beat the crap out of Genichiro and beat him within 15 minutes. It took me like 4 days to get to Isshin which was like a new difficulty spike but after 4 days, I was finally able to beat him. Just one of the most rewarding gaming expierences, the combat is so smooth, challenging and rewarding. It just feels right. Had a blast playing this and I am more than happy that I returned. This is the best FromSoft game if you ask me. (Yet, Nioh is better)

50. Devil May Cry 5 (Beaten on 22nd August) on Playstation 4 Pro
D43CUni.jpg

This was fun! Hadn't played a Devil May Cry game in a while so I really enjoyed DMCV. It made me realise how much I enjoyed these games in the past since I was there day one when DMC released back then on PS2. Ever since I played every single DMC game. Guess I'm also down for DMCVI if they release it some day. (Plus I'm all set for Astral Chain now!)

51. Hitman 2 (Beaten on 23rd August) on PlayStation 4 Pro
I8fkJR3.jpg

What a great game. Beat this in just one day because I was having such a good time. The levels are just greatly designed and thought through. Unfortunately the Season Pass costs 40€, so I have to wait for a sale to get more mission but I am already looking forward to it. Had a blast playing this. One more game to go!

52. Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled (Beaten on September 14th ) on PlayStation 4 Pro
[Pic will follow]
Originally I wanted to end this with a bang like Earthbound or Metroid Prime 2/3. For time reasons this is not possible right now. So I ended up beating CTR, which is fine, but no Mario Kart 8 Deluxe to me. In comparison it's a decent game but MK8D does everything way better. Maybe I'll dive into the multiplayer at some point, we'll see about that.

xx. Dead Cells (Beaten on ) on Nintendo Switch
FKYjxzG.jpg

xx. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Beaten on ) on Nintendo Switch
kTSKl7v.jpg

xx. Patapon (Beaten on ) on Playstation 4 Pro
0y3w8sQ.jpg

xx. Golf Story (Beaten on ) on Nintendo Switch
nSUegQ4.jpg

xx. Yakuza Kiwami 2 (Beaten on ) on Playstation 4 Pro
tfGGwqz.jpg

xx. The Legend of Zelda: Triforce Heroes (Beaten on ) on Nintendo 3DS
Z1rUG4o.jpg

xx. Castlevania Symphony of the Night (Beaten on ) on Playstation 4 Pro
GbOqUhp.png

xx. Earthbound
pBXGU2p.jpg

xx. The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks (Beaten on ) on Wii U
Rc72OaL.jpg

xx. Metroid Prime 2: Echoes (Beaten on ) on Nintendo Gamecube
l51iYDS.png

xx. Metroid Prime 3: Corruption (Beaten on ) on Wii U
NfqzpT3.jpg

This is it. Can't believe I made it. If I find the time I'll keep adding games, even though time is pretty short right now. Nevertheless, I had blast participating, might participate again next year!
Still have some awesome games in my backlog, even though not listed like Astral Chain or Star Link. Luigis Mansion 3 will follow next month, so the year isn't over.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
79. Brave The Video Game
4f6f71ab-5d4b-40a3-9c13-8dc34f2a5fc1.jpg

Budgeted yes, but it is a decent and short Action game with light platforming and puzzles. The PC port is pretty bare bones sadly and even has 30 FPS cutscenes, being a remnant of being designed for consoles. The gameplay is presented from a fixed camera overhead view and has some nice twin stick shooting going on with the bow weapon.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
header.jpg

Game #90 - The Messenger
Time: 11 hours

After hearing such mixed feelings on this one, I went in half-blind, only knowing that its a 2D platform action game that shifts into a "metroidvania" halfway through (which apparently is the contention point for a lot of people?), but it honestly ended up being one of my favorite games I played this year. I think it's one of those rare cases where I loved pretty much everything about it. Amazing artstyle, both in 8bit and 16bit modes, one of the best soundtracks I've listened to in ages, fantastic tight gameplay with various powers to get (especially when the game becomes proto-metroidvania), funny writing with a bunch of meta-jokes, a lengthy campaign, just overall absolutely fantastic and I will be very curious to see what the developers make next. It's also another banger from Devolver who are quickly becoming one of my favorite publishers.

header.jpg

Game #91 - The Messenger Picnic Panic
Time: 2 hours

Neat little DLC for The Messenger with a new tropical island setting and some cameos from familiar faces from the main game, that unfortunately ends up being a bit too hard for it's own good and is very frustrating at times (which I never thought the base game was). Art and soundtrack are still great, and theres a couple of good bosses, but some really bad sections drag the whole thing down. Still, its only about 2 hours long and more importantly, its free, so it's hard to complain. Still worth playing if you liked the base game.

Main Post

Last edited:

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
42. Demon's Crest - 17/09/2019

The secret best SNES game gets it second wind on SNES Online.

I love Demon's Crest and so should you. A brilliant genre mashup of action platformer and exploration. I desperately wish indie games would stop cribbing off of Dark Souls and Super Metroid and peek at this game's tests instead!

FreddeGredde

Oct 27, 2017
I've got a bit of catching up to do...

Main Post
Games 11-15:
11. Super Mario Bros. 2 | March 14 | 2:06hrs | rating: 3.5/5
xIjmf02.jpg

Another game that's really hard to judge, since I've played it countless times as a child, and also the GBA port.

- GAMEPLAY: Much better and more variation than SMB1 and more "logical" secrets.
- AUDIOVISUALLY: It's simple but clean. One of the better looking NES games for me. Music is killer.
- STORY/PRESENTATION: The plot is barely there, but the world itself tells a story thanks to being more coherent and continuous.
- MULTIPLAYER: None

I hadn't played it in many years, but I enjoyed it a lot once again. It's a great adventure!

12. Baba is You | March 25 | 6:45hrs | rating: 3/5
lNXxZ9W.jpg

A clever puzzle game where you can combine any command with any object to solve the room.

- GAMEPLAY: You really just use the D-pad, so it's all about figuring out what to do. I do think it gets too hard too quickly, as there are many simpler and easier levels later in the game that "beginners" would enjoy, but won't reach.
- AUDIOVISUALLY: Music is nothing special, but the visuals stand out in their wiggling simplicity.
- STORY/PRESENTATION: There is no story, but the world map is pretty cozy.
- MULTIPLAYER: No multiplayer, at least yet.

At first it's wonderful, as you get room to experiment and come up with your own solutions. But when the rooms are huge and the solution is very specific, it's too tiring for me, and it's not a game I will 100%. Luckily the "ending level" comes pretty early so you still can feel good about yourself.

13. Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom | Apr 4 | 13:33hrs | rating: 1.5/5
ez1zDlY.jpg

My first impression was disappointing due to the simplistic gameplay, and although the later monster forms are slightly less boring to play, it never gets good.

- GAMEPLAY: Cheap and simple controls, and just horrible physics and level design if that's something you care for. I had to replay many rooms to "get it right", but it's because they're wonky and clumsy, rather than being a fair challenge.
- AUDIOVISUALLY: Game looks good and has a few tricks up its sleeves. Music is too Eurovision Song Contest for me, but there are some cool tracks in there.
- STORY/PRESENTATION: People are turned into monsters, and you have to fix it. Generic.
- MULTIPLAYER: None.

One of those games that I'm astonished by how people can consider great. I mean, there are certainly things to like (decent graphics, animated cut-scenes, lots of content and many characters with different abilities), but how does any of that matter when the controls are so incredibly mediocre? I had to put it aside and play short sessions for three months until I finally finished it.

14. Duck Game | May 24 | 35:00hrs | rating: 3.5/5
MLnmdK2.jpg

You're ducks and you kill each other in a very fast-paced fashion. Think Smash Bros but simpler and faster.

- GAMEPLAY: It controls like a traditional 2D platformer with a ton of guns to pick up and discard. One hit and you're dead, and we move on to a new level within seconds. It feels snappy and good.
- AUDIOVISUALLY: Very basic pixelart and the music gets tiresome quickly. Really nothing special.
- STORY/PRESENTATION: There's some unimportant background story, but no one cares.
- MULTIPLAYER: There is a short single player mode where you clear challenges (it mostly serves as a tutorial, but is addictive if you go for gold/platinum), but playing with friends is the whole point, and it's a ton of fun! The online mode is alright too, where you can decorate your "room" and choose among your unlocked hats/masks while waiting for players to join, and it makes it more personal and fun. Unfortunately you can only be one player per console, unless you're the one hosting. Still better than Smash...

What I've spent way too much time on is the level editor. It's incredibly robust, and it's a great way to keep the game fresh for each new multiplayer session. The gameplay is simple, but we've kept coming back to it for weeks now, so it's well worth the price.

15. Overcooked | Sep 10 | 11:00hrs | rating: 3.5/5
L1zorE8.jpg

Multi-task to run the restaurant kitchen as efficiently as possible!

- GAMEPLAY: A little wonky and imperfect controls, occasionally buggy, but really original and fun despite that! Collaborating with a friend has insane depth.
- AUDIOVISUALLY: Nicer looking than I expected from a 3D indie game, and the music is catchy.
- STORY/PRESENTATION: It's a silly story, but it works, and there's a nice overworld map to give the game a sense of journey and progression.
- MULTIPLAYER: I only played this in co-op, and I think that's how it's meant to be played. A ton of fun, a must-play if you're the collaborative kind.

There was a lot of talk about this one, and I think it delivered. Can't wait to see the improvements of the second game!

Next up:
Lots of Mario games!

Neil98

May 2, 2018
Madrid, Spain
37. Yakuza Kiwami 2 PS4
38. Bloodborne PS4
39. Bloodborne The Old Hunters PS4
40. The Legend of Zelda Link's Awakening Switch

Last edited:

watdaeff4

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
On the Home Stretch:
44. Guacamelee 2 (Switch)
Recommend? If you like Metroidvania games, then yes. It's one of the better ones out there. Great mechanics
If you played the first Guacamelee you know what you are getting here

45. FFXV A King's Tale (Xbox One)
Recommend? To give backstory to any FFXV playthrough (at least I was told that)
It's a throwback to the 16-bit side-scrolling beat-em-ups. It's fairly short so not a big time investment

46. Assassin's Creed (Xbox One BC)
Recommend? Not really
I powered through this in order to get a sense of the backstory of Assassin's Creed, but honestly it's not worth the time.

47. Ys Origin (Vita)
Recommend? Yes, esp for any Ys fan
My only gripe on this game is that in order to get the complete story, you have to play through the game 3 times. Each playthrough seems to be very, VERY similar. I wound up dropping it halfway through my second playthrough. Still counting it as complete as I played through it with one character and saw credits roll.

48. Gradius (Switch)
Recommend? Not unless you are really bored.
I'm not a big fan of the genre, but this game harkens back to the arcade style games where deaths come quick and easy in order to suck quarters from you

49. Control (Xbox One)
Recommend? Yes, very much so
This is my favorite Remedy game by far and IMO one of the best games I've played this year. The powers are fun to use in conjunction with the various forms of the gun. The storytelling is top-notch also

50. Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep (Playstation 4)
Recommend? One of the best Action RPGs I've played and my favorite KH to date
Ys Origin should take notes, this is how you get me to do three different playthroughs with three different characters.

Currently Playing:
Astral Chain (On File 6)
Devil May Cry V (On Mission 11)
Gears 5 (Near the end of Act 1)

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
header.jpg

Game #92 - Assassin's Creed Odyssey the Fate of Atlantis
Time: 25 hours

Whew, this was massive. After the super disappointing Legacy of the First Blade, this one got back on track similar to the Pharaohs DLC for Origins, with three massive new lands to explore and a heavy focus on the more supernatural aspect of Odyssey. Amazing visuals (probably better than anything in the main game), great zones, the story is ok and more content than you know what to do with, plus new skills to obtain, new gear, pretty much everything you want from a expansion like this. If you liked Odyssey and want more of it, you can't go wrong with this DLC (even tho it doesnt really resolve anything, but hey, its better than pulling some horseshit like Legacy did).

p6p1eJk.png

Game #93 - Severed
Time: 5.5 hours

And now for something completely different, both for myself and for Drinkbox Studios, Severed is a dungeon crawler with touch based combat (think Fruit Ninja) with a really cool art style and great soundtrack. The art style is really striking, managing to both be very colorful but also very creepy. Various dungeon crawler puzzles to solve, some abilities to get to help you both in combat and also to unlock new zones, and various upgrades to get to your character make this short adventure quite enjoyable. The only problem is playing it on the Switch, it gets quite unconfortable after a while since you need to hold it with one hand (so the other swipes the screen) so short sessions are in order, which isnt a bad thing I guess as the game isnt very long.

Main Post

Last edited:

rahji

Oct 25, 2017
15. Assassin's Creed Odyssey - Finished on 9/20/2019 Time: ~130 hours

I played the base game and all DLC. I obtained all trophys except the 'complete all underwater locations' and 'set foot in every subregion'. I am really done with this game and nothing can convince me to go back to get the last two trophys.
Absolutely amazing graphics. The vistas are great and it is a really beatiful landscape whereever you are in the game. Coming from Sekiro I had a hard time getting used to the shallow combat but as soon as I unlocked some fun abilities I had a lot of fun. Can recommend if you are in it for the long run.

Coming up: Currently hooked by Arkham Knight! The batmobil is not so bad as everybody said.

Bing147

Jun 13, 2018
Alright, so starting this on page 25 seems like madness, but what the hell. It seems even more like madness when I'm not even halfway there nearly 75% of the way through the year but my summer was dominated by a battle royale title which I've finally moved mostly on from so that will open up some time. No times, no clue on too many of them, but I'll include the rest of what's being asked for as I've luckily been tracking it on my own. Included ratings but not thoughts for now, may go back and add them later.

Edit: Update 10/5. So Apple Arcade has been a god send on this. I may actually have a shot at completing this.

1. Her Story (PC) | 1st Jan | 4/5
2. Dead Cells (Switch) | 2nd Jan | 4.5/5
3. Gris (Switch) | 5th Jan | 4/5
4. Soul Calibur 6 (Xbox One) | 7th Jan | 4/5
5. Mortal Kombat (Vita) | 13th Jan | 3.5/5
6. Hitman Go (Vita) | 15th Jan | 4/5
7. Dragon Quest XI Echoes of an Elusive Age (PS4) | 18th Jan | 4.5/5
8. Velocity 2X (Vita) | 18th Jan | 4.5/5
9. Persona 5 Dancing in Starlight (PS4) | 21st Jan | 3.5/5
10. Blade Strangers (Switch) | 26th Jan | 3/5
11. Pokemon: Let's Go Pikachu (Switch) | 30th Jan | 3.5/5
12. Halo: Fireteam Raven (Arcade) | 2nd Feb | 3/5
13. 428 Shibuya Scramble (PS4) | 2nd Feb | 4.5/5
14. A Case of Distrust (Switch) | 9th Feb | 3.5/5
15. Katamari Demacy Reroll (Switch) | 10th Feb | 4/5
16. Divekick (Vita) | 11th Feb | 2.5/5
17. Amplitude (PS4) | 22nd Feb | 3/5
18. Ape Out (Switch) | 22nd Jun | 4/5
19. Super Mario Maker 2 (Switch) | 16th Jul | 4/5
20. Pixel Puzzle Collection (Android) | 30th Jul | 4/5
21. Tetris 99 (Switch) | 27th Aug | 4.5/5
22. Apex Legends (PS4) | 30th Aug | 4.5/5
23. Fire Emblem Three Houses (Switch) | 4th Sep | 4.5/5
24. Control (PC) | 17th Sep | 4.5/5
25. What the Golf (iOS) | 18th Sep | 3/5
26. Sayonara Wild Hearts (iOS) | 19th Sep | 3.5/5
27. Gears 5 (Xbox One) | 22nd Sep | 4.5/5
28. Taiko no Tatsujin Drum Session (PS4) | 23rd Sep | 4/5
29. Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons (Xbox One) | 24th Sep | 4.5/5
30. The Legend of Zelda Link's Awakening (Switch) | 25th Sep | 5/5
31. Telling Lies (iOS) | 26th Sep | 4/5
32. Middle Earth Shadow of Mordor (Xbox One) | 30th Sep | 3/5
33. Super Metroid (Switch/SNES) | 2nd Oct | 5/5
34. Cricket Through the Ages (iOS) | 3rd Oct | 3/5
35. Mini Motorways (iOS) | 4th Oct | 4.5/5
36. Assemble With Care (iOS) | 5th Oct | 4/5
37. Untitled Goose Game (Switch) | 7th Oct | 4/5
38. Gunpoint (PC) | 8th Oct | 4.5/5
39. Yakuza Kiwami 2 (PS4) | 13th Oct | 5/5
40. Yakuza Kiwami 2: Majima Saga (PS4) | 14th Oct | 4.5/5
41. Jazzpunk (PS4) | 15th Oct | 4.5/5
42. The Last of Us Remastered (PS4) | 24th Oct | 4.5/5
43. The Outer Worlds (Xbox One) | 29th Oct | 4.5/5
44. AI The Somnium Files (Switch) | 3rd Nov | 4.5/5
45. Batman Arkham City (PS4) | 5th Nov | 4/5
46. Tumblestone (iOS) | 7th Nov | 4/5
47. Manifold Garden (PC) | 12th Nov | 4/5
48. Layton's Mystery Journey: Katrielle and the Millionaires' Conspiracy Deluxe (Switch) | 18th Nov | 3.5/5
49. Slay the Spire (Xbox One) | 26th Nov | 4.5/5
50. Interrogation: You Will Be Deceived (PC) | 3rd Dec | 2/5
51. Arise: A Simple Story (PS4) | 9th Dec | 4/5
52. Disco Elysium (PC) | 17th Dec | 4.5/5
53. Wattam (PS4) | 23rd Dec | TBA
54. Ski Jumping Pro VR (PS4) | 24th Dec | TBA

Currently Playing:

Pokemon Sword/Shield (Switch)
Shenmue 3 (PS4)

Last edited:

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
header.jpg

Game #94 - Untitled Goose Game
Time: 3 hours

Wonderful little gem of a game, this stealth puzzler I guess you can call it has you play the titular goose as you have to do an assortment of mischievous tasks as you harass various people across a neighbourhood. Great art style with some really cool animations, fantastic soundtrack, really clever puzzles and great gameplay make this an all around fantastic game, I only wish it was a bit longer, as the main game is very short (about 2 hours, a bit more if you get stuck on a puzzle), and the new objectives that open up when you finish arent as polished as the ones in the main game.

Main Post

5pectre

Nov 16, 2017
20. Wreckfest (Xbox One)
I was worried that this game would have serious problems after it got postponed time and time again, but it ran butter smooth on my Xbox One X.
Nice to play a racing game for a change where you con't have to race clean.
EFIuSnzX4AAVypZ

21. Metal Slug X (Xbox 360)
Had a pretty good run going but on the last stage it went downhill, FAST!, where I had to continue a couple of times.
EFIuzJKXUAA1KZA

22. Super Puzzle Fighter 2 Turbo HD Remix (Xbox 360)
Great game but it's one of those games where you can just switch your brain off and just drop the blocks real fast. I think anyone can complete this game without continues.
It looks great, with real sharp and colorful graphics. Lot's of fan service stuff too.
EFIvE5rXYAAi3oC

23. SEGA Bass Fishing (Xbox 360)
Fun game that I think I might be able to speedrun at some point. Wish the 360 had a fishing pole like on the Dreamacst.
EFIvU1oWkAELFqq

Main Thread

Memory Pak

Aug 29, 2018
Time to start padding some numbers... So here's 3 short sports games from twenty years ago.

1dq4o4cm.jpg

30. Nice On (1999, WS) ★★★☆☆
1999 Sure was a good year for portable golf games, huh? Between Mario Golf for Game Boy Color, Neo Turf Masters Pocket, and this one, you had quite some options. Nice On is the only one in black and white from this trio, and definitely has the most grating music, but I'd wager it's still worth a look for import gamers. While there's only one course, it does at least have 18 holes, and there's several options to interact with it. You can play by yourself, against the CPU, against ghost recordings of your best plays, and there's 2 ways the link cable could be used with other players... There's even a rather curious mode in which you're playing with a corporate business partner. Doing well in this mode triggers some discussion, of what I presume is a business deal in progress? Kind of a funny stereotype they added in.

i4P8Onmm.jpg

31. Side Pocket (1999, WS) ★★★☆☆
This is a pretty stripped-down version compared to other ports of the 1986 Data East classic billiards game. It doesn't have trickshots, and only the 9-ball versus mode is here. Also not here: more music outside of the main menu, or really much sound at all besides some effects and a very short loop meant to emulate crowd noises. That said, Side Pocket is still decent entertainment, and while I would recommend people to look for any other version instead (SNES and Genesis in particular, Game Boy is fine too), this is still okay.

8wzgWpOm.jpg

32. Wonder Stadium '99 (1999, WS) ★★★☆☆
Fun Namco sports game, spin-off from the Pro Yakyuu series so you might know the drill if you've played RBI Baseball on NES. Real licensed teams, but a slighty arcadey approach otherwise. This one's got a bunch of funny animation for when players get struck out, get tired or hit by the ball, there's like 9 slightly different home-run animations, 3 stadiums, and even in the crowd you can see lil' dots of people moving around (possibly getting up for drinks?). Add to this a bunch of modes, options, and stats stuff to mess with, plus good music and sound effects and it's an allright package.
Gameplay wise, I don't love it though. I can't reliably hit everything a pitcher will throw at me , and playing defence is really slow and imprecise. Wish I could find if there's a difficulty select somewhere, because the A.I. will regularly rout me 3-12 in a 9 inning game before a mercy rule kicks in. But it's fun in short bursts.

Bosh

Oct 26, 2017
MAIN THREAD
COMPLETED 2019 | 49
COMPLETED 2018 | 64

fire-emblem-three-houses.png

#44: Fire Emblem Three Houses (8/28/2019) | 10/10 | Switch | ~ 94.5 Hours | Recommend: Y | BE + GD Routes
# Overall - 10 | Fantastic RPG that elevates the Fire Emblem series to the next level.
Gameplay - 9 | Its FE but elevated in every department.
Sound - 9 | Great soundtrack that supports the huge amount of gameplay
Story/Online - 10 | Well thought out characters all taking place in a grand story lead to great moments
Asking Price- 9.67 | With two full routes completed, saving the last two for next year. Both routes provided unique moments

#45: Judgement (9/6/2019) | 10/10 | PS4 | ~ 64.5 Hours | Recommend: Y
# Overall - 10 | A side series to Yakuza that hits a home run with its first entry
Gameplay - 8.6 | Same action you would expect from Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio with interesting new additions
Sound - 10 | Fantastic voice acting paired with good soundtrack
Story/Online - 10 | Best individual story created by the studio, it is complex and well thought out
Asking Price- 9.33 | While some of the side quest and mini games are hit or miss, the overall package is huge and well worth picking up.

#46: Devil May Cry V (9/12/2019) | 8/10 | Xbox One | ~ 9.5 Hours | Recommend: Y
# Overall - 8 | A strong first half that tails off towards the end of the game
Gameplay - 8.6 | Fantastic action that is easy to control. Types of enemies is limited and layout of later mission not as good as initial.
Sound - 8 | Soundtrack is good, voices are hit or miss.
Story/Online - 7 | Its okay, I never find the characters vary likeable which leaves me less engaged with their goals.
Asking Price- 8 | Worthwhile game to play and high level of quality in combat

220px-Picross_3D_Cover.jpg

#47: Picross 3D (9/15/2019) | 8/10 | 3DS XL | ~ 50.5 Hours | Recommend: Y | 100%!
# Overall -8 | A great pick up and go game that has made me purchase countless other Picross titles.
Gameplay - 8.8 | Puzzles are fantastic, controls can be frusting on occasion (Which i hear is fixed in Round 2)
Sound -7 | Not a ton of sounds. None of them are bad but they play for a looooong time if you want to do everything.
Story/Online - NA | Keep block + Break Block
Asking Price- 9.33 | Tons of content, well worth the pickup

5b311ddd00666c5a4a04c85d30efa5890a3bb334_128.jpg

#48: Gears of War 2 ( 9/18/2019 ) | 7/10 | Xbox One | ~ 10 Hours | Recommend: Y
# Overall - 7 | A game with great gameplay that tells a subpar story poorly
Gameplay - 7.6 | Level design is greatly improved from number one while most other things feel snappier/prettier
Sound - 7 | Partially due to the script but voice acting is okay. Gunplay sounds good
Story/Online -6 | #1 story was told poorly, which led to #2 trying to expand elemnts off of it very bad. Play it for gameplay.
Asking Price- 7.67 | Campaign feels about the right length and does not overstay its welcom

Game_8592.jpg

#49: Bloodstained Ritual of the Night (9/23/2019) | 8/10 | System | ~ 11.5 Hours | Recommend: Y
# Overall -8 | Aggregate of 4 components below. Decimal rounded up or down by personal bias.
Gameplay -8.4 | Controls great, Graphics are hit or miss at times. Good amount of enemies. Had slowdown issues with menus
Sound -8 | Overall soundtrack is very good. Voice over work is okay, feels out of place at times
Story/Online -8 | Story is decent, these types of games pull of silent environmental tells as well and this has a few areas that do that.
Asking Price-9 | Great game, easily in my top 10 for MetroidVaina style games (Maybe top 5!) Captures SOTN feel in 2019 form.

chimpsteaks

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 12, 2019
Started in June. Haven't really played games since like 2012 so I bought a PS4 Pro and a huge stack of games and I've been catching up on this generation:

1. The Witcher 3
2. Uncharted 4
3. Bloodborne (and Old Hunters DLC)
4. The Last of Us Remastered
5. Journey
6. Ikaruga
7. Nier: Automata
6. Metal Gear Solid V: Definitive Experience
7. Red Dead Redemption 2
8. Yakuza 0
9. Tearaway Unfolded
10. Gravity Rush Remastered
11. Uncharted: Lost Legacy
12. Limbo
13. Inside
14. Monster Hunter World
15. Shadow of the Colossus
16. The Last Guardian
17. Spider-Man
18. Horizon: Zero Dawn
19. Friday the 13th
20: Ratchet & Clank

Rest of my backlog is God of War, Persona 5, Gravity Rush 2. Then I'll just decide what I feel like playing from there. Not gonna get close to 52.

After playing through all of those in 4 months, my top 3 overall are Nier: Automata, Bloodborne, and Shadow of the Colossus. And the only game I disliked out of the entire list were The Last Guardian and Limbo.

Last edited:

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Main Post

I've been procrastinating a lot with these entries :(

70. Onimusha: Warlords - 6h50 - 05.09

onimusha3.jpg

Still pretty good, but there's a lot less to this game than i remembered. The combat is extremely easy, the game short and the upgrade system a bit broken. I had everything maxed out two thirds in and just abused magic whenever something bigger came my way. The exploration loop is just as good as RE's though, and it's still a very atmospheric game.

I'm really hoping Capcom sees fit to give this treatment to the superior games that came after.

71. Metro: Last Light Redux - 11h50 - 11.09

Screen-Shot-2012-07-17-at-12.22.23-PM.png

I like the shooting bits and the atmosphere in the Metro series, but everything else around it is just so contrived and yet uninteresting. Maybe some things are lost in translation from the books, but why are there literal Nazis on the russian Metro on the 21st century? Why does no one explore outside of Moscow? Why does no one expand the Metro? Since you're already living underground, you don't have to lack space ya know? And please not another Chosen One story.

Last Light is alright, but i can't think of anything it does better than 2033, apart from gamefeel, which is indeed smoother.

72. The Evil Within - 26h - 12.09

the-evil-within.jpg

I truly adored this game. It has faults, and a lot of them. But the great ideas come fast and plenty. And it's the most tense i've felt playing a game in years. I had to take a break every so often because this game creeps me the fuck out at every turn.

It's very uneven though, some of the early chapters are magnificent, but there are a few sequences from chapter 5 or so that could have been cut. There's no need to face the same boss enemies three times. And i could do without the one hit kills.

But despite that, what i loved about it outshines everything. The visual style and the sound design really bring this to life, exploration is always rewarded, encounter design is mostly fantastic. I know i'm really late to the party on this, but it truly feels like a sequel to RE4. It's not as tight, but i think it does a lot of interesting things with its premise that wouldn't fit in the RE series.

And the ending boss is completely ridiculous and wouldn't look out of place in a DMC game.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Main Post
37. Super Mario World (SNES) | 11th September - 3hrs | 4/5
This is a replay. I love the way this game looks and sounds, but admittedly this is the first time I played it when it just seemed way too easy. I used to get stuck on this game for so long back in the day so now I just feel kinda old. It was fun blowing through it though.

38. Dragon Warrior I (Game Boy Color) | 18th September - 4hrs | 4/5
One of the all time greats-- almost. Since this is Dragon Warriors and not Dragon Quest, the names are all kind of lame. I don't think the sprites are as good as the mobile version either, although it's cool that they managed to get the whole game on a Game Boy. It's the perfect Dragon Quest game because of its length and how straight forward it is (and has the best protagonist in the series), but it loses points because it isn't the definitive edition.

39. Kirby Star Allies (Switch) | 21st September - 4hrs | 3/5
I started this game wayyy back when it came out, burned out at the last world, and now picked it up again because it's a perfect Switch Lite game. I looooove the last world! I love the layout, I love how you can select your level, and I love the entire boss fight and ending cinematic. It's basically exactly what I wanted from the entire game, but they made me run through all of those extra BS worlds. I would like a director's cut of this game that's just the first and last world, you gotta cut out the fat.

40. Bubble Ghost (Game Boy) | 22nd September - 20mins | 3/5
I just stumbled upon this and I love it. Perfect little Game Boy game with short cuts that can be easily played and replayed in one sitting. I was actually pretty impressed with the animation technology that gets your ghost always centered around the bubble, and they mix things up enough even if the difficulty is uneven.

41. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (Game Boy) | 23rd September - 10hrs | 5/5
I finally played all the way through this game now that the more expensive version came out, and I love it. I love how weird and sad it is, I love how odd the NPCs are and how weird the things you're expected to do to get to the next dungeon are. There are some great secrets too even though I didn't fully explore all of them. I liked mixing and matching items a lot. And I looooove the black and white graphics, it just gives the game so much charm.

FreddeGredde

Oct 27, 2017
Main Post
Games 16-20:
16. Box Boy + Box Girl | Sep 5 | 12:00hrs | rating: 2.5/5
m4uZvME.jpg

Create rows of boxes to get through the puzzles.

- GAMEPLAY: In many ways the game design is ingenious. Very clever concepts and it feels good just to play and improve your strategy to reach S rank on the levels.
- AUDIOVISUALLY: The black/white style is (was?) unique, but it gets repetitive quickly, and the same goes for the music.
- STORY/PRESENTATION: The whole approach is just too sterile for my tastes, it looks and feels like Brain Age, when these gameplay ideas could have been used for an awesome (metroidvania?) adventure instead.
- MULTIPLAYER: There's an entire 2 player co-op story mode, and although way too easy, it's still fun.

I loved the original for 3DS, but this sequel didn't quite capture me. Felt like I had already played most of it, and although there's a LOT of content, it was just never exciting. Cute/relaxing at most.

17. Mario Maker 2 | Sep 18 | 90:00hrs | rating: 3/5
1NgT43p.jpg

Mario Maker again, this time with slopes!

- GAMEPLAY: It's really great, and it's addicting to work on your level and get everything just the way you like it.
- AUDIOVISUALLY: Each style looks as it should, although I would have liked more game styles, and the possibility to mix them! Music is a bit limited, would have liked to choose from a long list.
- STORY/PRESENTATION: There's a "story mode" this time, but it's quite boring and simple. I finished building the castle, but struggled to get through all the Nintendo-built levels.
- MULTIPLAYER: The big disappointment of the year. Multiplayer was supposed to be the big new addition to the game, but it's nearly worthless. Have to download the levels before playing local co-op, there's no local VS at all, and there's no online VS or co-op with friends. This honestly sucks!

Despite putting so many hours into it, I can't help but being extremely disappointed. Like, how can an indie game like Duck Game have more in-depth multiplayer and a more detailed level editor than a Nintendo flagship game?!

18. Yoshi's Island | Sep 19 | 7:51hrs | rating: 4/5
BRfpzxm.jpg

I super loved this one back in the days, and although my first impression this time wasn't great, it grew on me. Specifically the enemy design is amazing, as you never know what creature will show up next and what they will do. Even goombas have a surprising twist.

- GAMEPLAY: Really tight and snappy, and there's a good amount of challenge too. Bosses are wonderfully creative. The levels are mostly too maze-like for my tastes though, and I often feel like I just want to get done with them. Worst parts are the luck-based minigames that are just annoying.
- AUDIOVISUALLY: The graphics don't look "hand-drawn" the same way it used to, but there are still a lot of effects and detailed animation that are nice to look at. The music gets totally stuck in your brain.
- STORY/PRESENTATION: I would have preferred a proper world map, but it's a very coherent and unique presentation that still holds up.
- MULTIPLAYER: You can play the minigames against a friend, but it's not something that stays fun for more than a couple of minutes.

At first I just ran through the levels, thinking there's no way I'll collect all the red coins and flowers, but as I got deeper into the game, I got more and more invested in clearing the levels 100%. Had an itch to go back and unlock the extra levels in the end, but decided that seeing the end credits was enough this time.

19. Super Mario World | Sep 20 | 3:45hrs | rating: 5/5
r6npGw1.jpg

Although Yoshi's Island certainly beats it in some areas (enemy creativity, length, challenge), I've realized just now that this one still beats it handily when it comes to pure fun!

- GAMEPLAY: Snappier than Mario Maker, and I have to say it feels super good. Mario's got so many moves especially thanks to Yoshi and the cape. Only bad thing I have to say is that it's often too tempting to just fly over entire levels. The game is too easy.
- AUDIOVISUALLY: It's really quite vanilla. Memorable and classic, but not impressive.
- STORY/PRESENTATION: Story is the regular one, but the world building and map is unparalleled! Almost every level has one or two secret exits that take you to new levels and entire new worlds. I can't think of a single other game in existence that rewards exploration like this one.
- MULTIPLAYER: You can take turns to play, which is okay I guess, but I've never gotten into it. The NSMB series beats it in this department.

Maybe it's nostalgia, but this is THE game for me. Perfect controls, tons of secrets and alternate paths, fun every time from the very first moment, and I don't want to put away the controller until I've finished every level.

20. Celeste DLC: Farewell | Sep 24 | 12:01hrs | rating: 4/5
yoOfz9A.jpg

I hate DLC (finish the game before you release it, and put new stuff in a sequel!!), but Celeste is an all-time favorite, so I'm pretending that this is a separate game.

- GAMEPLAY: Tight as always, and the new additions (mostly just the Jellyfish and the wavedash) are fun. My problem is that it's way more puzzle-based than the main game. Rather than simply putting your platforming skills to the test, there's now a ton of trial and error to figure out what to do, where to throw the jellyfish, where to bounce, and it often has to be very specific. I didn't like it as much.
- AUDIOVISUALLY: It probably has more visual flare going on than the main game, but the constant purple gets tiresome after 10 hours. The music didn't grab me, but at least isn't annoying despite having the same loops go on for half an hour each.
- STORY/PRESENTATION: You kind of forget why you're doing all these challenges, but there is a story.
- MULTIPLAYER: None.

The difficulty level continues where the main game ended, and it's tough to get into when it's been a year. It's still fun and satisfying, but more tedious and it felt way too endless without any chapter breaks. Still oh, so satisfying when it's over 9:38hrs later. The destination is nicer than the journey!

And then I had to replay it to see how it held up. Still a few frustrating parts, but much more fun! Finished in 2:23hrs. This game is special.

Next up:
Fire Emblem
Captain Toad
Link's Awakening
A bunch of other things

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
80. Greedfall
eb24173df0f85c47af00187f0296ac07.png

38-39 Hours later and If inally finished this game. Spiders' best output IMO and while it has its issues it offered a neat RPG experience.

KiDdYoNe

Oct 25, 2017
Damn it's been a while since I posted here. Wasn't playing a LOT, but managed to finish some games and started to get into Destiny 2 once again.

header.jpg

12. Spyro 3: Year of the Dragon | July 6th

Good old Spyro. Kinda sad that I now once again completed (and platinumed) all 3 OG Spyro games. Amazing experience, happy that they've done these remakes.

TELEMMGLPICT000164246908_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqNJjoeBT78QIaYdkJdEY4CnGTJFJS74MYhNY6w3GNbO8.jpeg

13. Days Gone | August 6th

I kind of enjoyed Days Gone. The road to platinum trophy took some time and at the end I was wondering how much more will it take, but overall Bend made a nice little IP which I hope will improve in future.

header.jpg

14. Control | September 3rd

Control was always somewhere on my radar. I wasn't sure when I'll buy it but ended up preordering it after the launch trailer. My GOTY so far. Been a while since I enjoyed the game like Control. The style, it's story, all the little bits and pieces... what an amazing game. Huge surprise for me, I knew it will be all right, but it's a lot, A LOT more than that. Can't wait for DLCs.

header.jpg

15. RIME | September 7th

I remember the first trailer a long while and I had the game installed for a while now. Really glad it's a PS+ game, didn't really clicked with me. It has a nice ending, but overall there's not much story in it. The concept of all the feelings is great, but it really only gets you at the end.

32810-56573-patterned-l.jpg

16. Patterned | September 22nd

So, uh, Apple Arcade happened. I was too lazy to keep up with the news and to install iOS 13 Beta, but it was a nice suprise that now I can connect my Dualshock 4 and enjoy the Apple Arcade line up. For now I'm starting with something that is enjoyable on the phone and waiting for Apple Arcade to land on Mac.

Patterned was the first one I cleared (well, kind of? it seems that new patterns will be available later on) and it was a nice little game. Not huge on puzzles nowadays, but this one is beautiful and not really a puzzle? Just a nice little mozaic type of game I guess. Pretty cool thing and I guess you can grab the puzzles as a wallpaper lol.

header.jpg

17. RAGE 2 | September 25th

RAGE 2 is a mess. Even though I enjoyed it, it's probably because I miss good shooters and it is a good shooter. But that's just it. There's no story, no characters, not even good bosses/enemies, it's just a barebones shooter. Thing I realized playing RAGE 2 is that maybe it's time to try DOOM once again.

Playing now: A Plague Tale: Innocence. Also, Apple Arcade will be the thing that gets me to 52 this year!

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
81. Diablo III
82. Diablo III: The Reaper of Souls
5335eb8227bd1ea5efb969223368d796.jpg

Well this was my first time playing a Diablo game. My earliest experience with this playstyle is Deathspank although that one comes off as a more simplified approach to the action rpg loot mechanic.
Non the less, the main game was mostly doable on Hard, and only started becoming threatening by the end of RoS. I am about to start Adventure Mode soon and am counting that as a separate entry for 52 games list.

Back during the PS360 era some games' epilogue missions/chapters were sold separately which did cause quite a stir if those epilogues touted being 'true endings' of a game. RoS being sold separately and with D3's main ending in Act 4 concluding its events lets RoS act as a stand alone expansion/dlc imo.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
you do you but adventure mode is in no way "another entry"

Diablo 3 and Reaper as 2 sure, but why in the blue hell would adventure mode count as a third? its just the game's "main" mode. It has no story, most people don't even play the story, they just go straight to adventure, that's how you play seasons for example.

Last edited:

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
83. Contra Rogue Corps

Ooof this game has some decent ideas but they get buried under all the bad stuff it has plaguing it; an uninspired loot-centric upgrade and equipment system, stages being repeated only harder than the first time you cleared them, enemies becoming too strong for you to kill if you do not have properly upgraded equipment and 30 FPS in 2019 along with a very bad implementation of v-sync.

Tried to rush through it as much as I can, but I would not recommend this even to fans of loot or twin-stick shooter type games.

ApexNorth

Oct 27, 2017
52 games complete! Here's the list:

1. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Remastered
2. 11-11 Memories Retold
3. Never Alone
4. Late Shift
5. Detroit: Become Human
6. The Gardens Between
7. Arizona Sunshine
8. The Witcher 2: Assassin of Kings
9. Resident Evil VII: Biohazard
10. DOOM VFR
11. Final Fantasy XV: Windows Edition
12. The Witcher III: The Wild Hunt
13. The Escapists 2
14. Kingdom Hearts III
15. Far Cry: New Dawn
16. Metro Exodus
17. Resident Evil(1996)
18. Resident Evil 2(1998)
19. Resident Evil: Survival
20. Resident Evil Code Veronica X
21. Resident Evil HD: Remaster
22. Resident Evil 3: Nemesis
23. Resident Evil 0
24. Resident Evil: Dead Aim
25. Resident Evil 4
26. Far Cry
27. Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles
28. The Walking Dead: The Final Season
29. Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines
30. Borderlands: Game of the Year Remastered
31. Borderlands 2: VR
32. Deus Ex
33. Day's Gone
34. RAGE 2
35. BioShock: Remastered
36. Tom Clancy's: The Division
37. Judgment
38. Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel
39. Blood & Truth
40. Metal Gear
41. Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake
42. Metal Gear Solid
43. Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
44. Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
45. de Blob
46. Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of Patriots
47. What Remains of Edith Finich
48. Metal Gear Rising: Revengence
49. Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes
50. The Town of Light
51: Control
52: The Dark Pictures: Man of Medan
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
53. Yakuza 3
54. The Walking Dead: Definitive Edition: Season 1
55. The Walking Dead: Definitive Edition: Season 2
56: The Walking Dead: Definitive Edition: Michonne
57. The Walking Dead: Definitive Edition: The New Frontier
58: The Walking Dead: Definitive Edition: The Final Season

Last edited:

Spyware

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Not-So-Weekly update! (Weeks 29-39)

So, yeah. I've been gone for a while. Have not had the energy to update and stuff.
This will be very brief but at least I have posted something about these games.

Fui4TQU.png

66. Puppeteer (PS3) | 19th Jul - 12hrs | 3/5

I'm sad I didn't like this more, I know it's a very praised game. It felt too easy and very... claustrophobic. I dunno how to explain it better. I felt trapped in the small scenes and such. Lovely aesthetics tho.​

14cYGBe.png

67. Bloodborne (PS4) | 15th Aug - 40hrs | 3/5

I wrote a lot here but decided to remove it. I don't want this to be a negative post and I just have too much negative to say about this one. It wouldn't be fun to read. It's not a bad game but way too many things bother me about it.​

CckOsIL.png

68. Hard West (PC) | 27th Aug - 34hrs | 4/5

This one would have gotten a 5 if it wasn't for the handful of times I had to restart whole scenarios due to a bug where I got stuck and couldn't progress (my pointer on the map wouldn't move). Aside from that issue it was a superb game doing exactly what I wanted it to. Tactical XCOM-like combat and fun choices and such between the missions. A Huge thumbs up.​

OLHSMCS.png

69. Blair Witch (PC) | 6th Sep - 5hrs | 3/5

Was surprised by how nice this was, especially since I didn't like Layers of Fear at all. It has a bunch of issues, mainly the pacing, but it is a good looking little game that was fun to play through twice. Important note: I got it via Game Pass, wouldn't have bought it separately.​

CVo5nLU.png

70. Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask (NDS) | 11th Sep - 30hrs | 4/5

Terrible story, great puzzles. Some pretty unexpected gameplay stuff that I enjoyed.​

eOgnonH.png

71. Professor Layton and the Azran Legacy (NDS) | 20th Sep - 30hrs | 4/5

Same as Miracle Mask, pretty much. Maybe they don't really "deserve" the high scores when the stories are so boring but the puzzles are the main feature and they are great.​

sUXXyz3.png

72. Cat Quest (PC) | 26th Sep - 20hrs | 4/5

Went back and checked what I said about this the first time I played it (when I 100%ed the normal mode). I don't know why I was so very critical of it because now I adored it, puns and all. This time I played "Mew Game" which does remove some of the more annoying parts of the main game (that had lots of walking back and forth for pretty meh side quests). Mew Games are quick and fun playthroughs where you add challenging rules like not being able to level up and such.​

4OGGYip.png

73. Cat Quest II (PC) | 29th Sep - 14hrs | 4/5

A friend sent me this one as a gift. I'm so thankful especially because it's been a superb game for me to play right now. Cute and easy, especially since Mew Game in the previous game trained me well on the hit and dodge combat. It's a sequel that doesn't do much different but it still feels a lot better. Funnier quests and a more interesting story, more abilities and so on. It's basically just bigger and better and has co-op. I did try the co-op for a bit but preferred to play alone. Some small issues that the devs have acknowledged and will patch. A little light in content due to the lack of "Mew Game" but hopefully such things will come in a free update like with the first game.​

Master Post!

Last edited:

KiDdYoNe

Oct 25, 2017
466893_w412.jpg

18.Cricket Through the Ages | September 27th

What an absolute gem! I was playing Clash Royale and saw my gf playing something else which was Cricket through the Ages. She said there's a 2-player mode so we gave it a go and played for like 2 hours just throwing balls at each other. An amazing little experience

header.jpg

19. A Plague Tale: Innocence | September 28th

A Plague Tale: Innocence wasn't really on my radar. We spoke with some people about it and I thought maybe one day. Turned out, the game was available to take from my work so I thought why not. And damn, I wish I played it before. It's a really nice story with all the little details. Loved the relationship between characters and the story.

yMPBb_sBXTsZH0OY0PbiEDAb5cGsn-4z5rYx1yUonb1yB5SsT2Oca59sgk7uc_lgWG8

20. Clash Royale | September 28th

Kinda forgot that I started playing it once again 3 months back. Still playing the damn game even tho sometimes I wanna throw my phone into the trash can.

Oct 27, 2017
Main Post

52 in the bag!!!

51. Sonic Rush Adventure - DS
Completed 9/22/19
Score - 7/10

I definitely appreciated the gameplay more in this game. The graphics looked worse than Sonic Rush but the game played much better. I didn't fall off an edge every few seconds which made for a more satisfying experience. The bosses were more varied which was nice but they were all pretty easy. They were my key to getting all of the supplies and advance through the game. I found the sea map a pain in the ass and didn't like using that feature. It actually made me want to stop playing a few times. Overall, I enjoyed it more than the original rush game but still not that great. I am starting to wonder if I actually like Sonic games outside of the originals...

ds_sonic_rush_adventure-110214.jpg

51. Final Fantasy V - PSTV
Completed 9/22/19
Score - 8/10

Was really loving this game throughout and then my vita card in my PSTV corrupted on the final boss fight. A little piece of me died inside that night and I was really thrown on how to proceed. I ended up finding a save file online and using that on my PS3. The team was definitely more overpowered but I tried to play the way I would have if it was my original save. Not ideal but I feel better having taking down Exdeath. The story was much more simple than IV but the mechanics of the job system were fantastic. I loved this way more than III. Can't wait to jump onto FF VI on my SNES Classic in the near future!

header.jpg

53. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Arcade Game - NES
Completed 9/28/19
Score - 9/10

Blame it on the nostalgia but I really feel like this game holds up. I know the arcade version is flashier and sounds better but I love what they pulled off on the NES. I played this game so often growing up and it felt good to just go back and play it again. I still love the music and the extra stages that were added into this game. Has this version ever been released again? I was shocked that I still remembered the code to allow extra lives throughout the game. Still not sure I could beat this with the measly 2 they give you at the start.

nes_tmnt2-210x300.png

Archduke Kong

Feb 2, 2019
Not too bad this month. Super Nintendo games coming to Switch is going to make a lot of my SNES backlog MUCH easier to deal with. I'm slowly inching my way through Half-Life when I'm on break at school and have my laptop handy, although I think I'm going to need a real mouse and not the MacBook track pad if I want to enjoy it properly. Otherwise, knocked 4 more games off the backlog. A little doubtful I'll actually finish the full 52 but it'll be fun to see how close I get, and at the very least this challenge is helping me actually put in games that I haven't touched in a while, so we'll see!

Master Post

Games beaten in September:
33. Super Metroid (NSO on Switch) | September 14th - 6 hours | 5/5
34. Ratchet & Clank (PS3) | September 15th - 2 hours | 5/5
35. Ratchet & Clank: Going Commando (PS3) | September 22nd - 12 hours | 3/5
36. Resistance: Fall of Man (PS3) | September 29th - 12 hours | 3/5

Progress so far: 32 games
January - 5 games
February - 1 game
March - 2 games
April - 4 games
May - 2 games
June - 5 games
July - 8 games
August - 5 games
September - 4 games

Thoughts on September
33. Super Metroid - I've been waiting for this game to come to Switch since the day I bought it, and yeah, it's great. It's Super Metroid, you all knew that. My first playthrough of the game a few years ago was about 15 hours. This time my playthrough was a little under 6. I remember having a few issues with this game the first time I played it, but I couldn't remember what they were, and I never stopped enjoying it on this playthrough, so I guess I changed my mind? 5/5, a classic.

34. Ratchet & Clank - This was just to finish up a replay that I started in 2017. I got all the way up to the final stage of the Drek fight (where you chase him to the Deplanetizer) and since I've already beaten it, when I kept dying I decided to put it down and move on to a different game (probably Super Metroid, funny enough). The fight still took me a while, but I finally took him down, and that ending is some nice wholesome stuff. I'll be playing this yet again all the way through sometime in the future, but for now we've taken care of some unfinished business. 5/5, good times with the boiz.

35. Ratchet & Clank: Going Commando - I thought I liked this one a lot back when I first played it. I think it was just because it was the first of the Ratchet games to add the QoL improvements (strafing!) so it felt fresh to me, a newcomer. This was my second playthrough and it's just... ok. The first third/haf is at least really great. The story is kind of forgettable for me but it's fun watching the characters interact, like always, so it's at least entertaining. There's a good mix of combat and platforming and it's paced pretty well, plus the combat feels REALLY good. After a while though, the overload of "other" content just kind of became too much for me. It's cool that they made two different puzzle mini games, but only one of them was fun for me (hint: it was the electrolyzer). Clank's platforming sections feel kind of thrown in to fit the quota (I'm surprised there was only two of them, the game introduces it like it's going to be a bigger part of the game, and both are kind of boring). The Giant Clank sections are cool in concept but ended up amounting to button mashing and crossing your fingers that something takes damage. The crystal hunting sections are cool in concept too (I love collectathons, so having some open/exploratory levels are a nice touch) but they're immediately ruined by my least favorite trope in all of gaming: infinitely spawning enemies that home in on you. The one on Grelbin was the worst offender, and it just became tedious because of it. The racing/glider segments were a little more manageable than I remember them being this time, mostly because I remembered you could use the d-pad, but they still feel clunky. I love that there's so much variety, and commend the ambition, but a lot of it just doesn't feel all that polished. It's still Ratchet & Clank, I still enjoyed myself, but for now it's probably my least favorite of the main series. 3/5, an ok time with the boiz

36. Resistance: Fall of Man - This was my fourth(?) attempt at playing this game. I usually play a few missions, get bored/frustrated and move on. This time I turned the difficulty down to Easy and the game became a lot more fun. The enemies feels less bullet spongy and as a result, the gameplay feels really satisfying. Insomniac is really good at weapon design and I don't think there was a weapon in the game that didn't feel satisfying to use. It was still kind of hard too, I found myself dying a lot, but the missions felt more manageable and I never found myself stuck on any particular mission. Really my only problem is this game just... happens. No real story or characters to get attached to (Nathan Hale reminds me too much of Cole from Infamous), not many memorable locations. I loved when the environments got a little more sci-fi, but it's pretty obvious Insomniac wanted to differentiate this stylistically from Ratchet & Clank as much as humanly possible. I'm actually a fan of the "nothing but brown" aesthetic from that generation (I like monochrome color schemes, what can I say), but in a sci-fi game I think a little more color or personality could have helped. As it stands it feels like Call of Duty with aliens, which makes it more appealing than Call of Duty at least. I liked it, maybe I'll play it again sometime. 3/5, not bad.

TOTAL: 36 games, 13 weeks left

Oct 25, 2017
74. Operation C (1 hour)
The controls here can be stiff at times, and a few bosses are a bit too claustrophobic, but this is otherwise a faithful adaptation of the classic Contra gameplay to an early portable system.

Full list to date

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Think i'm gonna change up my posts in here. It's a pain to find pics i can embed on mobile and it's making me just not want to deal with it. Otherwise i'll just procrastinate myself into a 50 title list and then i'll never update it for sure :/

Palomitero

Jan 2, 2018
Barcelona
Main post here

September Update

lVMqd97.jpg

41- Man of Medan -3h- 1/5

Probably the WORST game I've played in years by far. Basically it revolves around a very weak story with cheap jump scares that gets old very fast.

Not much more to say really. AVOID.

42- Goose Game -3h- 4/5

At long last it comes out after months of delay. Super fun game that make you chuckle the few hours the game last. It's a shame the game is so short, because it's very fun to play doing goose things.

I hope they add more missions/maps in DLC form at least, the game looks like it's selling like hot cakes with all the youtubers videos and meme things.

HeavenlyWanIlsamochadegu-size_restricted.gif

43- AI:SOMNIUM -24H- 5/5

The best Kotaro Uchikoshi game IMO, loved it.

True ending done in 24hours, you don't get the full picture of the game until you get it, in fact, it's only the last couple of hours that the story start to make sense and you start puzzling things together, amazingly smart writing.

One of the best thrillers I've had the pleasure to read, truly smart writing with a lot of mindfucks/plot twist though the game. Also, the synergy between the 2 protagonists are something else, delighted with the dialogue and interactions with the detective and his AI.

The game is also full voiced in JP/ENG, with top tier seiyuus on the JP side at least, didn't try ENG voices.

All in all, an amazing adult thriller VN and one of the best games of this year, a must play for everyone that likes Uchikoshi games.

Really enjoyed it.

eq8od6P.jpg

Now playing:

-Astral Chain

Oct 26, 2017
Belarus
Main Post part 1

-------

26. Shadow of the Tomb Raider - The Nightmare - 3 hours
Well, this DLC was better than previous DLCs for this game, but the best part was not the actual tomb, but the trial sequence at the beginning. I wish there were more moments like this in the main game... Tomb itself was kinda confusing and annoying with those perma-death spikes and traps and bad checkpoints.

Deleted member 1265

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
fatyoshi - 72/52 Games (42 first playthroughs, 30 replays)

---

vYgYLdo.png

Game 64 – Silent Hill (PS1) – 2 hours, 36 minutes – 4.5/5

An absolute classic. I'll never be tired of replaying this.

XuMwSAs.png

Game 65 – Zup! X (PC) – 35 minutes – 2/5

I'm almost done Zupping!, sorry.

hPgeC2l.png

Game 66 – Zup! XS (PC) – 32 minutes – 2/5

Get Zupped.

AhrkxPT.png

Game 67 – Zup! Zero (PC) – 28 minutes – 1.5/5

Zup the Beginning

3iQoVs1.png

Game 68 – Zup! Zero 2 (PC) – 26 minutes – 2/5

Zup the Final Chapter (I'm Free.)

jg7r2Tm.png

Game 69 – Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair (PS4) - ~25 hours – 3/5

It's more Danganronpa. The cast and court mini-games are an all around downgrade from the first game. The setting was great though.

Magical Girl Monomi is one of the worst side games I've ever played.

EZFlrth.png

Game 70 – Blair Witch (XB1) – 5 hours, 26 minutes – 2/5

The existence of this game is baffling to me. Blair Witch is an odd license to use for anything at this point let alone a video game. The last film was from a few years back and it didn't exactly excel from a critical or commercial standpoint, before that it's been an even longer period since the second film and the first attempts at a Blair Witch game (a trilogy of PC games). Add in the fact that the license itself feels like a bit of an afterthought here (this feels like it could be any first person horror title with Blair Witch elements thrown in at the last second) and it's an odd experience. Having said that, I was pretty excited for this game as a fan of the first two films and the general concept behind the series.

What we ended up with is pretty standard first person horror fare. My biggest issues came from the disastrous performance and glitchiness of the game. The game was in a choppy state at nearly all times which hurt not only the fun factor but also the general mood and atmosphere. Add in glitches like Bullet (our trusty canine companion) flat out disappearing to not be found again, getting softlocked by picking up an item until quitting and reloading, and wonky enemy behavior among other things for a pretty rough experience.

It wasn't all bad, thankfully. The atmosphere at times is pretty great. I'm a pretty seasoned horror veteran but walking through the woods in the dark was definitely spooky at times and it captured the feeling of what doing the same in real life would be like. I'd also like to praise the last chapter or so which is where the Blair Witch feeling was well and truly nailed. If the whole game was on that level this could've been a favorite of mine even with the performance troubles.

Overall this was a bit disappointing for sure. I'd recommend it for big fans of the license or fans of first person horror under the condition of them going in with well adjusted expectations. I played through this over a few days on Game Pass and that's how I'd suggest those who are curious do as well.

bWSDEG0.png

Game 71 – Yoku's Island Express (XB1) - ~11 hours – 3.5/5

Much better than the combination of genres would have one believe.

I was definitely more into the exploration than the pinball but everything felt mostly solid. The (at times useless) map and some of the physics tied to using the exploding slugs or the leash to swing put a damper on things but not to a severe extent.
One of the cutest and most charming games I've played in a long time.

tOF8qnP.png

Game 72 – Dead Rising 4 (XB1) – 27 hours – 2/5

A bit better than I had remembered. I still think most of the decisions made with this game were misguided at best but if you take it for what it is and can get past some of the clunky bits it's playable.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
76. Castlevania: The Adventure (1 hour)
This game attempts to do what Operation C generally succeeded at, but it's let down massively by poor controls and level design that neglects to account for that.

Full list to date

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
43. Final Fantasy VIII - 01/10/2019

Well, my month long odyssey into one of FF's black sheep titles has ended.

I think the story and cast are wonderful, but the gameplay leaves a lot to be desired.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Main Post

73. The Assignment - 5h10 - 13.09
74. The Consequence - 4h10 - 15.09
75. The Executioner - 2h - 15.09

Three pieces of DLC for The Evil Within.

The first two tell us the story of Juli, the rookie detective from the main story. Without getting into spoilers, this kinda feels like Episode Ada from Resident Evil 4, story and lore wise. I like them a lot in that regard. But when it comes to gameplay, the approach taken was to remove almost all of the action present in the main adventure and give us a somewhat poor attempt at a pure stealth game. I wasn't really a fan tbh. The encounter design is poor and choice is very limited. There are also a few 'stealth around an area waiting for elevator/door/mcguffin' type of situations that i straight up loathed. The character and the story carried me through this.

In the last DLC, we play as one of the main antagonists. The focus is reversed from the other episodes, gameplay is the sole reason to play this, seeing as the story is thin here. And the gameplay is alright, nothing groundbreaking, but solid. The Executioner plays a bit like ZombiU combat wise, but limited to a creepy mansion. We get new weapons and tools very consistently, and everything is upgradeable. There's a challenge room aspect to it that i didn't delve into, so i guess the two hours i spent with it are on the very low end.

I like it when DLC truly expands on ideas and concepts beyond the main game, and TEW delivers on that, even if not everything here is a success.

76. Dear Esther - 1h40 - 16.09

The walking sim granddaddy :)

Dear Esther feels a bit light nowadays, since the genre has evolved a lot in the following years. But at the same time it also feels like it is exactly what it needs to be to tell its story. A story of loss and grief, Dear Esther soars to its emotional ending. It has a slow start, but it pays off in the end. I really like the visuals, there is something to the art style that really sticks with me. The writing is not so sharp though. It could use a bit of toning down on the grandeur at times. Enjoyable little gem nonetheless.