• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
48. ICO - 22/10/2019

When you're trawling through your backlog treating games as a job to be shuffled through, ICO is the kind of game that reignites your love for the medium.

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Return of the Obra Dinn is my 39th. Dont think i'll hit 52, but its been a heck of a gaming year so far regardless :)

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
header.jpg

Game #99 - Chasm
Time: 10 hours

Another day, another metroidvania... you would think I would be sick of them by now but nope, still into them. Chasm's "big hook" is that it's procedurally generated, and that seems to scare people away from it, but in reality it's one of those things that if you didnt know was a thing, you wouldnt even notice. It generates a "seed" at the start sure, but for all intents and purposes it still plays and acts like a normal metroidvania, you still get specific skills and items to bypass previously locked zones, you still backtrack for secrets, etc. Good pixel art, good gameplay, music is a little subdued and the story is pretty inexistant, but I think overall its a very well made game that ticks all the boxes that a metroidvania should. It wont blow anyone away but if you are looking for another fix for this genre, it's worth playing.

Main Post

Last edited:

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
49. Sonic Mania - 22/10/2019

Sonic Mania is a good game that is completely antithetical to how I play games and I think it's why I can't get into the classic Sonic titles. They're based heavily on skill, on learning the layout and performing perfect runs after multiple attempts at the game, and I'm just no good at that. I want to take the game at my own pace and get everything I can in one run.

LonestarZues

Oct 27, 2017
Master Post

70. Destiny 2: Shadowkeep - Main story is not as good as Forsaken, but still has the same amazing gameplay that makes me love the series so much. Will keep playing it as my main multi-player game, but I'm already nearing the light cap so I won't be playing it ad much until the next dlc/expansion/sequel.

71. The Witcher 2: Assassin of Kings - Still a great game. I've really never liked the 1st half of Act 1, but when it gets going it's still a great game. Did the Roche path and I'll probably do the Iorveth path early next year before the swarm of new releases.

72. One Night Stand - Was expecting something closer to Bury Me, My Love and this disappointed. Not a bad game/experience, but easily forgettable. Got 3 of the endings within 1 hour and felt like I've seen enough.

Last edited:

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
89. Yooka-Laylee & The Impossible Lair
YLIL_KEYART.jpg

Look I ain't got time to keep repeating that danged Lair to properly beat it, but my entire time with this game has been VERY positive.
Nice visuals, great gameplay, great music and overall wonderful game design.
A GOTY contender for sure for me.
Did I mention it has great music?

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
50. Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask - 24/10/2019

My childhood favourite Zelda gets its 20th playthrough. OG N64 version of course, miss me with that 3DS shit.

Oct 26, 2017
Belarus
Main Post part 1

-------

28. Shadow of the Tomb Raider - The Price of Survival - 2 hours
Okay, what the hell, why this DLC is not the part of the main game? I mean, gameplay-wise it's fine, new tombs are okay, rewards are still useless for those who completed the game already. But the fact that you can play this DLC after completing the main storyline is super weird because you are learning about the main villain past and even interact with him at the end of DLC - problem is, if you completed the main game already, this story piece doesn't make any sense, because
dude is dead.
Seriously, who planned those DLCs, why they are all ignoring the fact that most people finished the main game before they were released, why you can't even wear this DLC costume during playing this DLC tombs, because this stupid-ass outfits restrictions in Paititi are still preventing you from wearing costumes you've paid for?! Fucking hell, this is getting frustrating, it's great those DLCs are expanding the main game so new players will have more content, but for day-one players they just reminding that you should have wait for discounts and all DLCs being released instead of playing this game when it was released. Whoever planned post-launch support for this game done fucked it up.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
90. Police Quest (VGA)
58439-police-quest-in-pursuit-of-the-death-angel-amiga-front-cover.jpg
24733_front.jpg

Been a while since I played a PnC game, and I have always wanted toc heck out more of the classics....or such.
The first Police Quest game is a Point n' Click Adventure game, definitely not in 3D, taking place during the 80s as you play as police officer Sonny who is investigating a cartel led by a man known only by the alias Death Angel.
The game has you travel around the city of Lytton as you investigate various incidents and collecting various evidence that help you find the identity of the Death Angel, while arresting felons along the way as well.

...and boy do you travel A LOT; to be exact, half the game has you in the map screen as you navigate the police car to go from location to location, and while the music playing is ncie, it is a short audio clip that repeats, and the driving in this game is utterly dull. When not driving, you're either going from the Police Station to the Prison and while in those locations must follow protocol; enter the jail requires Sonny to place his gun in a locker before pressing the buzzer to enter, and pick it up when leaving. There is no automation here, the player has to do this manually any time they need to enter the jail to put in felons.

Any good bits in the game are few and far between, and the VGA ver. is even more lenient than the EGA version which was pretty strict on what actions you do; not return or pick up certain items? Game Over, load a save file. Got into a car accident? Game over, load a save file. Didn't check your car before getting into it? Game over, start the game again.

Yeah the game hasn't aged well, yet it remains a part of gaming history being a Sierra game and all that. I'll be playing Police Quest 2 down the line, followed by 3 and 4. I don't expect to end up enjoying much of them but I like PnCs and want to explore its history by myself. Besides, if Police Quest is the weakest of Sierra's adventure games, it can only go up from here~

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
So I don't know if I'll actually end up beating another 10 games between now and the end of the year, so I'll just list games I beat individually from now on. I'll go into a little more detail with this format.

61: Ori and the Blind Forest: Definitive Edition (Start: 9/28/2019. End: 10/26/2019)

I'd always had some interest in this game, but never actually got around to playing it. When I heard a Switch version was in the works, I set out to purchase it, and then got sidetracked, lol. But with those distractions completed, I returned to Ori and the Blind Forest. I thought the gameplay was solid. I thought the presentation was wonderful. And I thought it could get pretty challenging.

Played on Nintendo Switch.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
51. Super Metroid 26/10/2019

Super Metroid is about as technically perfect as games get and only has the fewest wrinkles you'd get from a 25 year old game. It's as playable today as it was back then minus a stray handful of hiccups here and there.

5pectre

Nov 16, 2017
40. Marvel vs Capcom 2: New Age of Heroes (Xbox 360)

5/5

EH4n8LMWoAEzzTa

41. F-Zero X (Wii VC)

I don't know why but I've never played F-Zero X before? I love the series and this entry certainly kicks ass. Not the hardest game on Standard difficulty but the tracks are fun and varied and it has a real nice soundtrack. On some stages it even sounds like Death Metal? Wonder if Nintendo ever commented on their choice of songs?

5/5

EH44TlQX0AE7AQD

Main Thread

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Alright I finally finished
42. Operation C (Game Boy) | 25th September - 1hr | 4/5
This is my first ever Contra game, and I was really impressed by it. Just the right length to get through it without getting bored, and it controls super well despite being on Game Boy hardware. I liked the vertically scrolling sections a lot as well.

43. Rhythm Heaven (Game Boy Advance) | 26th September - 2hrs | 4/5
This is a replay. One of the all time greats, now looking better than ever since I played it on an IPS-modded GameBoy Advance. This still has some of my favorite games in the entire series and even playing it in Japanese, it holds up perfectly.

44. Dragon Quest (Switch) | 28th September - 5hrs | 5/5
This is basically a replay. The GOAT Dragon Quest game comes to the Nintendo Switch. This game gets a lot of flack for the art style, but the more I played the more I got into it, to the point where I think it's the definitive version of the game. The Green Dragon sprite is probably the ugliest thing in the game which makes it kind of sad that Square decided to use it as one of the only marketing screenshots. But at the end of the day, it's still the best Dragon Quest game. Perfect on the Switch Lite.

45. Dragon Quest II: Luminaries of the Legendary Line (Switch) | 30th September - 10hrs | 4/5
I was surprised by this game after giving up on it fairly quickly on mobile, but I liked it a lot here. It's weird because Dragon Quest II seems to want you to suffer as you play it, like how hard it is to find my boy Mr. Green at the beginning and how he gets cursed halfway through. That being said though I thought it was the perfect balance of being more expansive than Dragon Quest I while still not being a disaster like later Dragon Quest games. This is definitely the most likable party the games have ever had. Other things like discovering new areas for warps and getting the jailer's key are super fun, and I love the enemy designs later on once you get to the final areas. The final boss is really challenging but really cool as well. Otherwise the game is better balanced than other versions from what I can tell because I didn't have difficulties near the end, and it looks and sounds amazing on the Switch. Recommended if you want more Dragon Quest after you finish DQ1.

46. Don't Call Me Mama But Yes I Am Your Mama (Game Boy) | 3rd October - 30mins | 3/5
This is a super short Kyle Bosman game. It's limited by the hardware on which is was made, but having not watched his streams as he made it I thought it was really funny and well written despite how short it was. I got Street Knight.

47. Untitled Goose Game (Switch) | 5th October - 2hrs | 4/5
This game is a meme at this point but it really is lovely. Just the right length so that it doesn't get boring, and it feels like there are tons of ways to achieve your objectives. I didn't go back through the secret objectives but it's really cool that they're there for people who want to make the most of Goose Time.

48. Sayonara Wild Hearts (Switch) | 9th October - 1hr | 2/5
This one was really disappointing. I love rhythm games and the screens were giving me Tetris Effect vibes, but the game is pretty mediocre over all. The slow and awkward movement of the character means that none of the big musical bits really land the way they should, and you don't get the sense of accomplishment you do from a good rhythm game. I didn't even come close to crying once. It's a good first effort but there's a ton of room to improve and I don't really recommend it.

49. Contra (NES) | 15th October - 1hr | 3/5
After Operation C, I went back and bought the Contra collection on Switch. This game is pretty fun for the NES, but there's a lot of room for growth. Some of the later levels are pretty BS in a not fun way and the little rooms where you just shoot squares are pretty bad. It's still a really good NES action game though.

50. The Return of the Obra Dinn (Switch) | 18th October - 8hrs | 5/5
I played this entire game in one sitting, I loved it. The music/sound cues, the visuals, the way you discover things. It's all amazing and as a person who prioritizes aesthetics this felt like a game made for me. I love the way it reveals different twists and I was definitely surprised more than once. My only complaint about the game is how it becomes easy later on to just mix and match the names of Seamen and Topmen to luck into getting answers right, but it was still really good. What a fun little game.

51. Super C (NES) | 20th October - 1hr | 3/5
I didn't realize that this is basically the NES counterpart to Operation C until I was pretty far in. My thoughts on it are basically the same as Operation C, but I think it's surprisingly a little less polished and rough around the edges. Stuff like not having automatic fire really wears you down after a while, and the final boss goes on way too long without being very challenging. I liked it better than Contra though.

52. Pop'n TwinBee (Game Boy) | 27th October - 1hr | 4/5
I never got into the TwinBee series, but this was a great one to start with. I was surprised how well the action held up on the Game Boy, especially since it was an earlier Game Boy game, and it was really satisfying to pull off moves at some of the later levels. I think I'll go back and play more games in the series after this, it was a lot of fun.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
header.jpg

Game #100 - Feudal Alloy
Time: 8 hours

Another low-tier metroidvania, this time with a medieval steampunk theme (which is at least original). The art style is actually pretty cool, if very same-y throughout the game, but the gameplay feels quite loose and janky (I havent died this much in one of these in ages, and not because it's particularly hard). Level design is alright and you get the standard powers you get in everyone of these (double jump, air dash, etc), it all feels very been there. done that. Recomended only for metroidvania fanboys like myself who are always looking for the next fix, everyone else has a ton of much better options. It's not bad per se, but it's not exactly good either. It's probably my least favorite of the genre I played this year, and I played a lot.

Main Post

KiDdYoNe

Oct 25, 2017
23. Sneaky Sasquatch | October 28th

643x0w.jpg

Pretty nice little adventure. Loved the style and playing this on a phone is simply amazing. Apple Arcade is great so far with all the games like this one. It takes about 2-3 hours to finish and totally worth playing.

Playing now: Modern Warfare

Main Post

Oct 27, 2017
Main Post

I usually end up playing way more this time of year but my completions have slowed to a crawl.

54. Max and the Curse of Brotherhood - Switch
Completed 10/6/19
Score - 6/10

Not sure what I expected out of this one. It started out and I was excited because it looks like an old school fun platformer. It ended up being a trial and error puzzle game with frustrating platforming. It was fine for what it was but after beating it I have no desire to go back to it. Some of the jumps were annoying and having to repeat small sections grew tiresome. It's not awful but not what I originally thought I signed up for.

220px-Max%2C_The_Curse_of_Brotherhood_box_art.jpg

55. Resident Evil 2 (Remake) - PS4
Completed 10/26/19
Score - 9/10

This was phenomenal! I wondered if I would be more or less spooked with this game after the control change. I actually found it to be a much tenser experience. I think I liked it more than the original as well. I ended up running Leon A and Claire B. I found Claire B pretty difficult, especially at the beginning. Leon had way more ammo and Claire felt more like true survival horror. I was definitely on edge. F those slime creatures in the sewers though. Don't pass this one up, it's perfect for Halloween!

resident-evil-hero-banner-02-ps4-us-03jan19

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
header.jpg

Game #101 - The Outer Worlds
Time: 30 hours

Absolutely fantastic action rpg that more than scratches that Fallout-itch, The Outer World is a tighter, leaner, mroe focused game than Bathesda's outings usually are, with the same great writing that Obsidian has gotten us used to, great combat and just a wodnerful (and colorful) world to explore. Easily one of my favorite games of the year, I have little bad to say about it, it has rgeat quests with fantastic writing as I said, the combat feels good, lots of weapons to use, it never outstays it's welcome (it's shorter than the Bathesda games but to it's credit in my opinion) and is just a joy to play from start to finish. Outstanding work by Obsidian and I can't wait to see what they do next under Microsoft's wing.

Main Post

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
91. Trine 4
trine-4.jpg

Lovely game, and a goty contender for me. Great visuals and music, and the gameplay goes back to Trine 1 and 2's 2.5D presentation but with less wonky physics.
The puzzles were really nice though they were a mix of simple and tricky (the final stage's puzzles weren't that difficult for example), but I played through it at my own pace and that helped me enjoy the game a lot.

Spyware

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Not-So-Weekly update! (Weeks 39-40)

Yes this took me a month to post... don't ask why. All those HO games are just a blur now so won't be writing anything about them. Bad stories, but nice puzzles. For the most part.

3h5J7WU.png

74. FAR: Lone Sails (PC) | 29th Sep - 6hrs | 4/5

Amazing game but also another example of stupid achievements. Putting in one for traveling an absurd distance doesn't do anything good for the game for example. Sure I love your game but no I don't want to play it 8 times or whatever was needed to get it the intended way. Because the intended way can't be to repeatedly travel the same short open distance over and over by reloading a checkpoint, right? Anyway, I played this last year too and I still think the game is really good aside from those achievement issues.​

Bb1VuLL.png

75. Caligo (PC) | 29th Sep - 1hr | 2/5

Pretty (aside from the extreme chromatic aberration at times) but that's it. You walk along a path and listen to bad voice acting while looking at some seriously beautiful stuff at times. Yep, that's that.​

BFwhZ8l.png

76. Dark Heritage: Guardians of Hope (PC) | 29th Sep - 3hrs | 2/5

gcAL616.png

77. Eventide: Slavic Fable (PC) | 30th Sep - 3hrs | 2/5

Cd27iqc.png

78. Crime Secrets: Crimson Lily (PC) | 30th Sep - 3hrs | 2/5

W5chyvW.png

79. Vampire Legends: The True Story of Kisilova (PC) | 30th Sep - 2hrs | 2/5

SEBX2wF.png

80. Mythic Wonders: The Philosopher's Stone (PC) | 30th Sep - 3hrs | 2/5

eFvlyw6.png

81. Grim Legends 3: The Dark City (PC) | 30th Sep - 3hrs | 3/5

Master Post!

Taneleer

Dec 20, 2017
PNW
I finally beat BotW, I bought it day 1 and got burned out 95% through, my initial plan was to do the bare minimum to beat it and 100% on the Switch as I didn't have one at launch. Not sure if I want to now.

Game 11: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Wii U) | 80 | October 3
Game 12 : Dragon Quest XI (PS4) | 68 | October 18
Game 13: Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon (3DS) | 15 | October 30

Oct 25, 2017
86. Super Castlevania IV (4 hours)
This one is noticeably easier than 1 and Dracula's Curse, and I'm all for it. The presentation is also top-notch, taking advantage of the 16-bit hardware to make Dracula's castle feel lived-in.

Full list to date

Palomitero

Jan 2, 2018
Barcelona
Main post here

October update

6QLJpVl.jpg

44- Uncharted -8h- 4/5

As good as uncharted 4 but with badass girls instead of good old Nathan.

Altough you get more freedom in this one(to a certain point)because of the "open world", its shorter than the previous ones, about 8-10 hours duration only and I stopped everywhere to take screenshots.

uncharted-the-lost-legacy-screenshot-59-2100x1200.png

45- Super Robot Wars V -39h52m- 4/5

A series that stays the same since the 90's days. Crossover with your favortite robot franchises(Mazinger Z, Evangelion, Gundam, etc) in a deep tactical srpg with moret han 100 units.

This game has the most over the top attacks animations as you can expect from a robots anime.

I've been playing this series since the ps1 days and still enjoy every game like a kid.

Now playing:

Trails of Cold Steel III

Oct 25, 2017
87. The Lion King (1 hour)
The Lion King video game is a gorgeous translation of the movie's art and animation style to a 16-bit presentation. However, it's wonky to play, with questionable hit detection and some attacks with unclear purposes.

Full list to date

Oct 25, 2017
88. Zoo Tycoon - 2013 (3 hours)
The way I play tycoon games is that the game is "beaten" when I've gotten to a point where I feel like I've done all I want to do with my main park. It speaks volumes about how dull Zoo Tycoon 2013 is that I reached that point after only 3 hours.

Full list to date

Oct 26, 2017
Belarus
Main Post part 1

-------

29. Shadow of the Tomb Raider - The Serpent's Heart - 2 hours
So, I've finished another SotTR DLC, and... Eh? It was fine? Even somewhat decent, I guess? More or less engaging story, good tomb and combat encounters. But again, it's more of the same, again Paititi, again rebels, again those forced "tribal" outfits. I hope that the rest of the DLCs will offer something different because I'm getting tired of playing this game, and again, there's no point in playing those DLCs after you've finished the main game, because all the rewards are useless.

Baybob

Oct 4, 2019
Hello everyone! I just recently joined resetera but have been keeping track of the games I have played this year. I started taking 52 games a year seriously in September and still have a long way to go to get the 52. I hope I make it! 17 games to go!

1. Cosmic Star Heroine (Switch) | 19th Feb - 12.5hrs | 3.5/5
2. SteamWorld Dig 2 (Switch) | 15th Mar - 8.5hrs | 4.5/5
3. Cytus Alpha (Switch) | 6th Jun - 30hrs | 4/5
4. Gris (Switch) | 14th Jun - 3.5hrs | 4.5/5
5. Cadence of Hyrule (Switch) | 17th Jun - 8.5hrs | 5/5
6. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Switch) | 1st Jul - 15hrs | 3.5/5
7. Yoku's Island Express (Switch) | 3rd Jul - 11hrs | 4/5
8. Wild Guns: Reloaded (Switch) | 6th Jul - 1hrs | 2.5/5
9. Bayonetta (Switch) | 13th Jul - 14.5hrs | 4.5/5
10. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (Switch) | 19th Jul - 73.5hrs | 4.5/5
11. Bulb Boy (Switch) | 20th Jul - 2hrs | 3/5
12. Sonic Forces (Switch) | 20th Jul - 4hrs | 2.5/5
13. Cave Story+ (Switch) | 4th Aug - 9.5hrs | 3.5/5
14. Astral Chain (Switch) | 6th Sep - 30hrs | 4.5/5
15. Jettomero: Hero of the Universe (Switch) | 7th Sep - 2hrs | 3.5/5
16. Mr. Shifty (Switch) | 7th Sep - 4hrs | 3/5
17. Darksiders (Switch) | 11th Sep - 16.5hrs | 4/5
18. Xeodrifter (Switch) | 21st Sep - 3hrs | 3.5/5
19. Sayonara Wild Hearts (Switch) | 21st Sep - 1.5hrs | 4.5/5
20. The World Ends with You: Final Remix (Switch) | 26th Sep - 19hrs | 4.5/5
21. Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Torna (Switch) | 28th Sep - 18.5hrs | 4.5/5
22. West of Loathing (Switch) | 3rd Oct - 5.5hrs | 3.5/5
23. Minit (Switch) | 5th Oct - 1.5hrs | 3.5/5
24. Gato Roboto (Switch) | 6th Oct - 4hrs | 4/5
25. Untitled Goose Game (Switch) | 7th Oct - 2hrs | 4/5
26. A Short Hike (PC) | 10th Oct - 1hrs | 5/5
27. Bastion (Switch) | 11th Oct - 4.5hrs | 4/5
28. Valiant Hearts: The Great War (Switch) | 18th Oct - 6hrs | 4/5
29. Golf Peaks (Switch) | 18th Oct - 3.5hrs | 3.5/5
30. One Night Stand (Switch) | 19th Oct - 1hrs | 3.5/5
31. Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch (Switch) | 23rd Oct - 44hrs | 4/5
32. Pokemon: Let's Go (Switch) | 26th Oct - 23hrs | 3/5
33. Night Trap (Switch) | 28th Oct - 2hrs | 3/5
34. Celeste (Switch) | 31st Oct - 9hrs | 5/5
35. Don't Call me Mama But yes I am your Mama (PC) | 31st Oct - 1hrs | 3.5/5
36. Ape Out (Switch) | 3rd Nov - 3hrs | 4.5/5
37. Katana ZERO (Switch) | 9th Nov - 5hrs | 3/5
38. Tangle Tower (Switch) | 10th Nov - 5.5hrs | 4/5
39. Floor Kids (Switch) | 15th Nov - 1.5hrs | 4/5
40. Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons (PC) | 16th Nov - 2.5hrs | 4.5/5
41. Pode (Switch) | 17th Nov - 4.5hrs | 4/5
42. Creature in the Well (Switch) | 22nd Nov - 7hrs | 4/5
43. The Deer God (Switch) | 22nd Nov - 2.5hrs | 2/5
44. Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order (PC) | 25th Nov - 21hrs | 4.5/5
45. FAR: Lone Sails (Switch) | 6th Dec - 2.5hrs | 4/5
46. Pikuniku (Switch) | 6th Dec - 2.5hrs | 3.5/5
47. SteamWorld Quest: Hand of Gilgamech (Switch) | 9th Dec - 16.5hrs | 3.5/5
48. Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight (Switch) | 13th Dec - 4.5hrs | 3.5/5
49. Timespinner (Switch) | 15th Dec - 6.5hrs | 4/5
50. Slay the Spire (Switch) | 20th Dec - 3.2hrs | 4/5
51. Luigis Mansion 3 (Switch) | 21st Dec - 13.5hrs | 3.5/5
52. Feudal Alloy (Switch) | 23rd Dec - 10hrs | 2.5/5
53. The Touryst (Switch) | 27th Dec - 6hrs | 4/5
MARCH
1. Cosmic Star Heroine (Switch)
I this was the first jrpg I ever finished and it was quite fun. It had great music, a fun story and an interesting world. my main gripe with it is that I got stuck at one point and had no other way of progressing unless I dropped the difficulty.

2. SteamWorld Dig 2 (Switch)
I had a ton of fun playing steamworld dig 2, the core loop of mining, returning to town and upgrading was so addicting! No major gripes with the game.

JUNE
3. Cytus Alpha (Switch)
My absolute favorite rhythm game. Before this came out I had been playing cytus 2 on my phone and was loving it. I like the simplicity of cytus alphas gameplay over the complexity of cytus 2. I just cant get over how good it feels to hit all the notes all over the screen at a million miles per hour when playing songs. The songs btw are good but nothing to write home about, my biggest gripe with the game.

4. Gris (Switch)
Gris was fun for its short run time and left me with a smile on my face. Beautiful artwork music etc. not to in depth gameplay but that's not what I am looking for in a game like gris.

5. Cadence of Hyrule (Switch)
This is the year I figured out that I love rhythm games. The core gameplay of zelda combined with a rhythm game makes this a match made in heaven. Oh! and the music is great to!

JULY
6. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Switch)
While slow at times, ace attorney comes together to form a enthralling package of cases to solve.

7. Yoku's Island Express (Switch)
With its unique take on the metroidvania genre and its undeniable charm yoku's Island Express comes through as a great game that anyone who loves pinball should play. While I myself am terrible at pinball, I could work my way thorough the game but not without some frustration.

8. Wild Guns: Reloaded (Switch)
Not a game for everyone I would say. With its beautiful pixel art graphics and great music wild guns reloaded was fun for just one play through. As I did not live during the arcade quarter munching era this style of game doesn't jive with me well. I find the way the action plays out to be annoying and to hard for me to get in to. for anyone who did live through that era and remembers it fondly will likely find this game to be a wonderful look back to the arcade days, but for me I see it as a sign of how gaming has progressed play-ability and ease of access to a broader audience.

9. Bayonetta (Switch)
An excellent game, my first true stylish action game of it's kind and I have to say this game has made me a fan of the genre. the only thing I can think of that brings this game down are some of the qte's and that is about it the rest is almost pure joy.

10. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (Switch)
I absolutely adored this game. I originally picked it up back on its release and played up to the leftherian archipelago and got stuck at a part. Now I came back to finish it and I had the most wonderful time. I cant wait to play xenoblade chronicles definitive edition when it comes out!

11. Bulb Boy (Switch)
Bulb boy is a disgustingly cute point and click game that is an easy afternoon game that will not waste your time. the characters are charming and the gameplay while simple does not have the "moon logic" most point and click games have. Bulb boy is an easy recommend when on sale below 5$.

12. Sonic Forces (Switch)
Controls don't seem that tight and the cut-scenes are very fast paced making the story seem disjointed in some way. the good thing is that its short and doesn't overstay its welcome.

AUGUST
13. Cave Story+ (Switch)
A great look at the beginnings of the indie platformer genre, more of a 78% score from me, but 80% is close enough. The biggest issue I have with the game is some of the design choices like not being able to pick up an item until you talk to someone. And the controls are a bit floaty. Otherwise its an excellent game!

SEPTEMBER
14. Astral Chain (Switch)
Before I played this game I had only played one other platinum game bayonetta! while I liked it a lot I found astral chain a lot easier to get in to and enjoy over bayonetta. They are both great games but I found astral chain to be more enjoyable (partially because of the side content and partially because of the slightly slower action that was easier to get in to). Great game, in the running for my game of the year!

15. Jettomero: Hero of the Universe (Switch)
A beautiful indie game that was fun to play. A bit on the pricey side for its length but as a single dev created it I was willing to support them at the cost. If your interested in unique niche indie games give it a try!

16. Mr. Shifty (Switch)
More of a 67 then a 60. I found this game quite enjoyable but it had some problems like slow load times (switch) low frame rate in some situations and several crashes that booted me back to the start of the level. A very enjoyable game and recommended if you can overlook these faults.

17. Darksiders (Switch)
A great Zelda like with better combat . Although I found most of the puzzles acceptable, some of them were just a bit to convoluted for my tastes with solutions that looked like they should be possible but weren't. Definitely gets a recommendation from me.

18. Xeodrifter (Switch)
A fun short little metroidvania which wears its aspirations on its sleeve. while it does not excite to much and the bosses are repetitive, for the price it is a great little gem of a game.

19. Sayonara Wild Hearts (Switch)
An awesome experience and one I am going to come back to time and time again to experience the music and grind out the gold ratings.

20. The World Ends with You: Final Remix (Switch)
While the controls in combat can feel a bit jank sometimes the story and gameplay are excellent, well worth a playthrough. I personally played on a switch light and had a great time!

21. Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Torna (Switch)
An excellent exspansion to the main game and we'll worth your time if you liked Xenoblade Chronicles 2. I was informed about the sidequests before playing making it less of an issue because I kept up with them thuroughout my playthrough.

OCTOBER
22. West of Loathing (Switch)
The game was enjoyable with great writing, good music and a art style that fit with the game they made. It just didn't click with me as well as I wanted to. Perhaps If I had been in a different head-space it would have worked better for me. If you are looking for a funny short rpg this might just be what you are looking for.

23. Minit (Switch)
This is a great afternoon or night game to play in one sitting. Although the graphics are simple they fit the game well. I just wish the music was a bit more varied. Good game overall get it on a sale though as an account of its short run time. I would buy it at $8 and under. Sometimes the graphics make it hard to see what you are doing making puzzles more difficult then they need to be.

24. Gato Roboto (Switch)
A fun monochromatic metroidvania that has a short run-time and a cute if simple story. the controls are a bit slippery but tight enough to be not to much of a problem.

25. Untitled Goose Game (Switch)
A great game that is unique and fun to play, I only wish I had gone in more blind without watching playthroughs on streams and such. Definitely gets a recommendation from me if it looks interesting to you.

26. A Short Hike (PC)
A short but wonderful relaxing 3d platformer? anyway, if you want a relaxing game play this!

27. Bastion (Switch)
great indie game with great music, story and voice work. I really like the way the story was told with the narrator esq voice telling the story. The combat is good for what it is but nothing to special.

28. Valiant Hearts: The Great War (Switch)
This game was touching, informative and engrossing, I loved the music, the story was good, and the facts and photos were great. I really enjoyed this game.

29. Golf Peaks (Switch)
A pleasant puzzle game with clean graphics, good calming music and puzzles ranging from easy to moderately difficult for me ( in the newly released worlds. If you are looking for a good puzzle game on the switch or mobile you cant go wrong with this one, especially for the price.

30. One Night Stand (Switch)
This game has a lot of heart in it, the animation is nice and story is unique. I found it to be a good time if you enjoy quirky story's and good dialogue.

31. Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch (Switch)
Ni No Kuni is an excellent game with amazing music, some amazing cut scenes and ok gameplay. The battle system is not to complex, but I needed to grind levels more then I would of liked. overall the package came together to be a great play!

32. Pokemon: Let's Go (Switch)
A well made look back at Pokemon yellow, the worst thing I can say about it is that it didn't strive to do to much. But what it does do differently, seeing Pokemon in the wild and the capturing mechanic are good editions for side games.

33. Night Trap (Switch)
Night trap was a fun, campy story game with controls that weren't explained well and a frustrating amount of replaying the same scenes over and over again until you get it right. Overall finish if you can get over the gameplay.

34. Celeste (Switch)
Celeste is a amazing game with great music, amazing gameplay, a touching story and charming visuals. A must play in my opinion "if you are into platformers".

35. Don't Call me Mama But yes I am your Mama (PC)
A fun game by Kyle bossman, I loved the setting and story, I only wish it had music and sound effects.

NOVEMBER
36. Ape Out (Switch)
Absolutely loved the game! Great music, great style, a fun premise and an awesome ending!

37. Katana ZERO (Switch)
Good music, good art, good gameplay it just didn't click so well for me.

38. Tangle Tower (Switch)
A quite fun point and click adventure game that starts out slow and pick up at the end. I found some of the puzzles to be a bit hard to follow in the first half but the second half was quite enjoyable. I recommend it!

39. Floor Kids (Switch)
An excellent unique rhythm game with a fun premise and excellent execution. Worth a play of you are a fan of most rhythm games.

40. Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons (PC)
A wonderful story game that made me tear up. A must play.

41. Pode (Switch)
A very soothing game with an excellent score good artwork, decent puzzles and a satisfying growing mechanic. Some of the puzzles were a bit frustrating but not to bad. Otherwise a great game!

42. Creature in the Well (Switch)
While I found the middle section of the game difficult overall I had a great time with this game. It has a great artstyle, the lore hints at something interesting and the gameplay is difficult but fun.

43. The Deer God (Switch)
The deer God has some elements that are done very well like it's artstyle and graphics, but the readability of it's artstyle is lacking, and the gameplay loop can be confusing, would not recommend unless your looking for a mediocre game. It's relaxing at points but then becomes frustrating at other points.

44. Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order (PC)
Loved it! great music, art, game play and a good story. Would recommend.

Updates: December games

HLTB Profile

Last edited:

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
52. Indivisible - 01/11/2019

My journey ends with kind of a bummer. Indivisible excited me since the Indiegogo campaign and I so wanted it to be an amazing mindblowing title, and in truth it's still pretty good despite its imperfections. Lab Zero is currently doing work to patch the game and I avoided the endgame content, so if Indivisible can become the game it was meant to be, then I'll happily return to it.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
92. Putt Putt joins the Parade
latest

A light graphic adventure game that can be beatne in under an hour. A nice game for younger children to play as it has many animations that occur when you click on some objects like flowers for example. The Windows ver. that Steam sells doesn't output MT-32 Roland music nor can it have any soundfonts applied sadly.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Main Post

Oh boy this is picross month :D

82. Pixel Puzzle Collection - 23h20 - 13.10

A really good free picross game that has tons of content. Really liked the visuals and all the little nods to classic Konami. But it's a real shame the boss puzzles are dependant on such a long timer though. Finished everything else at around 75%. No way i was gonna be coming back to play a single puzzle every 3 hours for weeks on end. I would have gladly forked a few bucks to remove the timer.

83. BlipBlop - 7h30 - 14.10

An incremental game that is too basic to really be any fun. It has a slick UI but that's it. There's really nothing to it.

84. Picross e6 - 18h40 - 16.10

Another entry in this excellent series. It's really just more puzzles, i think there is nothing else new.

85. Picross e7 - 19h - 19.10

The same as the last one. Just more puzzles.

86. Picross 3D: Round 2 - 46h50 - 03.11

It's insane how much content and quality this game has for the picross fan. It's a much more polished game than the first one, with more interesting visuals and more variety. It's very snappy and tactile. As a negative aspect, for me personally, it's entirely composed of dual coloured puzzles, which are not my favourite. I enjoy the simplicity of the original more in that regard. But apart from that, it's a real gem.

Archduke Kong

Feb 2, 2019
Not much to say about this month, it was just a good mix of games. The only one I was lukewarm on was Resident Evil Revelations, but even that was still a fun time. The next two months are going to be nice, gaming in November and December just feels right, probably because of the holidays giving me the warm and fuzzies. Two months left to go, to those who haven't made it to 52 yet, good luck everyone!

Master Post

Games beaten in October:
37. Crash Bandicoot - N.Sane Remake (Switch) | October 7th - 15 hours | 4/5
38. Resident Evil Revelations (Switch) | October 14th - 10 hours | 3/5
39. Bayonetta 2 (Switch) | October 21st - 8 hours | 4/5
40. Celeste (Switch) | October 31st - 10 hours | 4/5

Progress so far: 32 games
January - 5 games
February - 1 game
March - 2 games
April - 4 games
May - 2 games
June - 5 games
July - 8 games
August - 5 games
September - 4 games
October - 4 games

Thoughts on October
37. Crash Bandicoot - N.Sane Remake - This was fun. I've had some on and off experiences with the original Crash games, particularly this one, but I never got far since the save system was annoying and I'd die before I could save any further. The QoL changes really helped make the game more enjoyable. Really my issues were the cheapness of some of the level designs (we all know which ones I'm talking about) and depth perception is a bit hard in some levels that it really needs to not be in order to be fair. I liked it though, it reminded me of the Donkey Kong Country games but with some 3D levels thrown in, and now I just want a 3D Donkey Kong game to follow a similar gameplay style. 4/5, n....sanely pretty good.

38. Resident Evil Revelations - This game is fun, it's just not... great. When I first played it last year I liked the mix of styles, but I think the "exploration" aspect of the ship is a little too surface level to do it for me. There just weren't enough moments where you backtracked to parts of the ship you couldn't otherwise open for it to feel anything like the old school RE style that they clearly wanted it to feel like, and the linear levels are just kind of... ok. It's still a fun time though. The story is dumb as hell, but there's also dialogue that's dumb enough to get me to chuckle, so I enjoyed it. I really just can't bring myself to care about the inner workings of the BSAA enough for me to want an entire story about the inner working of the BSAA, but for what it is, it does its job. I played the game on New Game+ on casual difficulty and as a shooter, it was a pretty satisfying time. I think I'm learning how much I hate bullet sponge enemies this year, because it was more satisfying to shoot them on this playthrough than my initial playthrough. Hell, the Comms Officer fights of all things were less frustrating and actually kind of fun this time. Overall, not the greatest RE game but I like it enough. 3/5, good enough.

39. Bayonetta 2 - I don't have too much to say about this one other than it was really good. I don't know if I liked it more than the first game, but it's at the very least on par with it for me. The combat in this one feels a bit easier to manage, and it has a good feel to it. I miss the more extended downtime sections in the levels from the first game (not quite exploration, but at least a few more moments to soak in the atmosphere and the ambience of the levels), but this game makes up for it with sheer spectacle. There's so many cool visual sequences from the beginning of the game to the end, so many different enemy designs, and it just feels like they went all out with the ideas they had and it shows. My only real complaint is the story didn't do much for me, and discount Yu-Gi-Oh wasn't as fun of a companion as the little girl in the first game. Still, I'm excited for the third game, so 4/5,

40. Celeste - I already beat the main story last year but I never touched the B-Sides and you need to do them to do Chapter 9, so I figured I'd try to knock them all out and then tackle Chapter 9. A week later and I think I need a break. They were fun, but after spending so much time on them, and with how difficult Chapter 9 is supposed to be, I think I can wait before trying to tackle it, so I'll come back to it next year (and maybe I'll do the C-Sides along with it..... I'm never getting to Chapter 9 am I?). 4/5, I'll be back to the mountain.... at some point.

TOTAL: 40 games, 8 weeks left

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
93. Travis Strikes Again
travis-strikes-again-jet-set-radio.jpg

I came in for Suda51 absurdness, and I got what I came for. The overall game really should've been shorter, level length wise, and the combat could've benefited from some of the lements from the Ys series.
This game is much better appreciated if you're a fan of Suda's work and played as many of them as possible, but either way, it has enough crazy shit and themes to their own stages going on that it'll baffle the mind of any player.

94. Fatty Bear's Birthday Surprise
hqdefault.jpg

Another basic and simple Humongous Ent. graphic adventure game. Wanted something light to cool off from TSA, and it was in my backlog and installed. Shame I couldn't apply MT-32 Roland music to this one XO

Last edited:

SamuelG

Jul 11, 2018
New Jersey
Here's my October update! Did quite a bit this month! And here is my big ol' list.

68) Murder Mystery Machine (iOS)

Neat little adventure game about solving murders. Never felt like it was holding my hand and was appropriately difficult. But clunky tho.

69) Monkey King: Hero is Back (Ps4)

Not terrible, but felt like a weird Ps2 throwback title. I kind of liked it though.

70) Pilgrims (iOS)

Another short Apple Arcade adventure game. Fun to experiment in, lots of weird little combinations.

71) Spek (iOS)

Short Apple Arcade puzzle game. All about changing your perspective to avoid enemies and collect items. Cute.

72) Marvel vs Capcom Infinite (PC)

It was on game pass and I wanted to play through the story. It was ok. I felt like it should have been a lot more fun.

73) Anarcute (PC)

Fun little brawler about getting a mass of animals to be cute and punch things while rioting. You get to destroy capitalism.

74) Awkward Dimensions Redux (PC)

Free narrative game. It's pretty cool, some of the scenes near the end were fantastic.

75) Cricket Through the Ages (iOS)

Cute little physics-based multiplayer fighting game. Story is short but pretty funny thanks to the narrator.

76) Adam Wolfe (PC)

Casual point and click puzzle/adventure game set in urban fantasy with occasional boss fights. This was way better than I ever would have expected it to be.

77) stikir (PC)

A cute little two hour meta-game about game creation. Flops through an insane amount of genres and boss fights. Pretty cool.

78) Cradle (PC)

A first person adventure game set in Mongolia about uncovering the past of a robot lady. Awesome setting, sometimes iffy gameplay.

79) Ice Age: Scrat's Nutty Adventure (Ps4)

When a joke review goes too far. So many regrets. Never again.

80) Tales of Memo (iOS)

Cute Apple Arcade game about a fox that casts magic spells by matching numbers. Really short and simple.

Deleted member 1265

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
fatyoshi- 80/52 Games (49 first playthroughs, 31 replays)

cBienpi.png

Game 77 – Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy (PS2) - ~15 hours – 2.5/5

This has fallen in my favor pretty heavily between the first time I played this on PS3 and now.

An interesting 3D platformer with charming aesthetics and world building held down by abysmal camera and vehicle controls. Probably the Naughty Dog game that has aged the worst out of the ones I've played.

QPzpr0l.png

Game 78 – Destroy All Humans (PS2) - ~15 hours – 2.5/5

A solid little sandbox game. Stability in the PS2 on PS4 port left a lot to be desired and the game crashed a ton in the later areas and missions.

Hoping the sequel expands on some of the side content a bit.

9v1ZVqW.png

Game 79 – Resident Evil: Survivor (PS1) – 1 hour, 30 minutes – 2.5/5

A 2.5 isn't that good of a score but for something that can be played through in just over an hour on average and that is otherwise functional I have no complaints. Much better than its reception had me believe. This is no doubt thanks to how little of the combat in this game is actually necessary. Dodging enemies with the first person movement is incredibly easy in comparison to nearly any other kind of Resident Evil game.

Otherwise this kinda plays like any other RE game of this time period transported from fixed camera angles to first person with the puzzles removed or heavily simplified. The messy plot and voice acting is here and probably even stronger than even the original game in terms of how bad things can be at times. If you find charm in the original game's bad acting, I don't see why you can't here.

Worth a visit (or three) since it's so short and it has branching paths. I'm looking forward to giving it at least one more run in the future.

Zk7NZYW.png

Game 80 – Late Shift (PS4) – 4 hours, 58 minutes – 2.5/5

Interesting enough as an FMV based adventure game on the surface. Unfortunately, it doesn't really excel as a gaming or cinematic experience underneath.

The Bunker is another FMV based game released by this publisher that came out within the past couple of years. I recommend that one over this one as it doesn't overstay its welcome as much as this one does and has a bit more interactivity.

I hope an FMV game really nails it for me someday. I'll keep looking/waiting.

5pectre

Nov 16, 2017
43. Darkstalkers 3 (Xbox 360)

Surprisingly hard. Took many tries to complete this one without continues
4/5

EIOgwwaWsAAWSZy

44. Shock Troopers (Neo Geo MVS)

I love this game and have gotten quite good at it. I have problems with the final tiny stretch to the final boss that's just completely bonkers. Soon....

5/5

EIYS6gmWwAYl3k8

45. Daytona USA (Arcade)

Got first place on all 3 tracks on the arcade version of Daytona USA. I hold almost all records on this game on Twin Galaxies and it's always a blast to play. Once you figure out manual transmission and how the drifting mechanics work, it's a completely different game. It almost flows as smooth as Outrun 2 when you figure it out.

5/5

Beginner
EIYrJ7SW4AE6hmu

Advanced
EIYrK2-WoAElEil

Expert
EIYrMLUW4AEf92E

46. Mario Kart 7 (N3DS)

4/5

EIes26lWsAcVmvs

Main Thread

Snowfruit

Teyvat Traveler
Jun 8, 2018
United States
main post
Oof, already November huh. Don't think I'm making it to 52 this year.

EUgtz8B.png

34. Guilty Gear Xrd -Sign- | PC | 10 hours | October 15th | 4/5

Always been interested in this series but that kicked into overdrive when the trailer for the 2020 game released. Luckily, I was able to win a copy of this game from the era giveaway thread. It's a hard game to learn but still pretty fun to play. I made a playlist of all the vocal tracks already and have been listening to it nonstop, can't wait for the 2020 game.

B6eIHEG.png

35. Real Bout Fatal Fury | Nintendo Switch | 3 hours | October 18th | 3/5★

With Terry being announced for Smash, I've been checking out some of the games he's in. I've only ever played Fatal Fury 2 and some KOF games.
This game's alright, the mechanics aren't too deep but it's nice to see Terry's origins in a slightly updated manner.

S5aNZ2q.png

36. Garou: Mark of the Wolves | Nintendo Switch | 3 hours | October 22nd | 4/5★

Now this is what I'm talking about. This game is beautiful, has fun mechanics, and is the best Terry has ever looked. Hope his outfit here makes it into Smash.

RtIAASh.png

37. The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky the 3rd | 40 hours | November 4th | 3/5★

Trails of Cold Steel 3 finally came out so I stopped procrastinating and started catching up maybe a bit too late.. I already have CS3 staring at me on my shelf. This game felt like filler though, like I could've just watched the important parts on youtube. I love the Sky cast but the game's structure is pretty boring. I enjoy going around towns and talking to NPCs in this series but this game doesn't really have any of that. Still has some great character interactions and overall memorable story. Now to wait for the Crossbell fan translation to come out..

Oct 26, 2017
Belarus
Main Post part 1

-------

30. Blair Witch - 7.5 hours
I'm not a big fan of the horror genre, but the Blair Witch E3 2019 reveal trailer instantly caught my attention - that dark atmosphere and woodland walks with your dog looked very intriguing and somewhat reminded me about Alan Wake, a game that I love with passion. Developers were surprisingly quick and released their game just a few months after it was revealed, so I decided to give it a chance. Unfortunately, despite having interesting ideas and making a few things right, Blair Witch ended up being a disappointment for me.

You know, at first, it was not that bad - the protagonist with his dog companion called Bullet is going to the forest in order to find the missing boy. Forest in Blair Witch looks absolutely amazing, I was wandering around some locations just to take screenshots of those trees and rivers. The game slowly introduces its gameplay mechanics, like giving orders to your dog or using videotapes in order to manipulate time and reality. Gameplay core is basically a Walking Simulator, in most cases you just need to walk to a specific point on the level and interact with several important objects in order to progress further. Sometimes you have to fight monsters by highlighting them with your flashlight while they are hiding behind the trees. Those moments are doing their job in adding the tension, but like most of the elements in this game, those encounters don't have much depth and variety.

Puzzles with videotapes is another thing that is done right in Blair Witch. For example, if you need to start a fire in the furnace, you have to find a tape nearby, play it on your camera and then pause it at the moment when the furnace is burning - after that fire will appear in your reality as well and allow to progress further. The main idea is always the same, but those interactions with the videotapes add greatly to the game's atmosphere and they're not getting old during the entire story.

But unfortunately, all those ideas don't save Blair Witch for one simple reason - despite a good premise, the storyline is the weakest part of this game. Protagonist is returned home from the war with PTSD issues, and he also did a lot of mistakes in the past - like, WAY too many mistakes which make the whole premise overly dramatic and unrealistic. Also, developers followed the spirit of the source material and tried to make a forest in this game as confusing as possible. Just like in the movies, at some locations that look open, you can walk in every direction but will constantly end up in the place where you've started, until you do something specific in order to break the cycle. But all those episodes are badly connected - here you walk around night forest, now you race against death on the swaps, and this time you are driving a wagon in order to move between sawmill camps. Because of constant time jumps and abrupt changes of locations, the game quickly losing the plot to the point when developers themselves forgetting about their own rules and ideas.

Blair Witch constantly adding new mechanics, but except videotapes I've mentioned before, none of those ideas are reaching their full potential. In the first chapters game actively suggest you give commands to your dog, and at first Bullet actually finding some useful stuff. But the more you play, the less you are using those commands because in most cases Bullet is not finding anything, even garbage. At the beginning of the game there's an episode where the protagonist having a panic attack because his dog left him alone - but after that, I never had to use commands to call the dog go back because he was always close anyway. And even when the protagonist ends up being alone again a few times later, he suddenly not experiencing any difficulties with that. So, what's the point in all this?

But my frustration with Blair Witch reached its highest point when I've reached the final chapter of this game, when the protagonist is getting locked down in the house from the original movie. Instead of something exciting and interesting, you just mindlessly walk in the dark for an entire hour, occasionally sneaking past the incredibly boring monster. As a reward for your suffering game will show you one of the most anticlimactic and stupid endings I've ever seen. There's also an alternative "good" ending that you can get if you will ignore some collectibles, but it's just as bad as the ending that you'll probably get during your first playthrough. All those talks about how your relations with your dog companion will affect the ending is a lie, in reality, it changes almost nothing.

Disjointed and badly paced compilation of good ideas - that's what it is. Blair Witch is not a terrible game, you can play it for its forest and atmosphere, but sadly, it's not worth the full price. There is not much to look for if you are a horror genre fan, there are a few actually terrifying moments with the witch, but every other attempt to scare the player with cheap jumpscares and creepy noises in the dark probably won't impress you much. Fans of the original movies won't be satisfied either, because, outside a few familiar elements like stick figures and that house in the ending, Blair Witch is not really connected to its source material. So it's really hard to recommend this game to anyone - unless you really like nature and forest scenery?

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
95. Freddi Fish 1
header.jpg

Rather enjoyed this the most out of H. Entertainment's early work so far. I like how it randomizes where some items could be found as well as some screens or scenes.
Game looks really pretty too.

96. Doom (2016)
54a.gif

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
62: Luigi's Mansion 3 (Start: 11/1/2019. End: 11/5/2019)

Another trip with Luigi through haunted tourist spots, lol. I thought the new slam mechanic may have been too powerful and wasn't balanced for early combat sections. But the sense of exploration, the presentation, and everything else was top-notch.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
97. Raptor Call of the Shadows
22664-1.jpg

I remember owning at least a shareware ver. of this game as a kid but I never beat it at the time. Decided to go through it recently and was for the most part quite impressed.
The game is longer than the average arcade shoot'em-up, clocking at around 2-3 hours to complete all 27 levels across its 3 Sectors. As you play through stages you earn cash which you can then utilize to restock on armor and get stronger equipment, which you will really need in the later sectors, esp. The final 9 stages in Outer Regions being annoyingly tough so going in with maxed out equipment is about the only way to survive them.
I had to restart an earlier sector due to how the game handles save slots; instead of overwriting a save file, it creates a new save file and one can only have up to around 10 or so save files =_=

I played the 2015 Steam ver. by Dotemu which sadly seems to lack proper resolution support as well as a mouse acceleration option. The port itself could've been better overall TBH, but it gets the job done.

All in all a really nice Shoot'em-up.

KiDdYoNe

Oct 25, 2017
24. Bleak Sword | November 2nd

Hf4Ywl6w_400x400.jpg

Even though I don't enjoy Souls games (or at least never gave them a fair chance besides Demon's Souls) I completed Bleak Sword. It's a nice little game with somewhat souls mechanics but easier. A lot easier. I guess try it out if you like souls games. My problem with the game was progression. I ended up playing through last 10 levels without getting a single level up. Meanwhile I could easily go to previous bosses, kill them 2-3 times and get a new level. Also, items were not really significant? Other than that, yeah, solid little game.

25. Hot Lava | November 4th

header.jpg

For some reason I thoguht Hot Lava will be multiplayer only and was suprised there were single-player levels. Loved the game and I guess after this, I'll give another try to the Mirror's Edge Catalyst. Sucks that the game is iOS/PC only - my iPhone 8 is old for it and $3000 Macbook throttles like a little bitch trying to run the game. Ended up playing something like 720p but still enjoyed the game. Wish it was available on PS4.

26. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare | November 5th

modern-warfare-captain-price-580x334.jpg

Well. That was something else. Even though PlayStation Russia simply banned the game over here, I ended up just making a US account and it was damn worth it. First the campaign - loved it. It was first CoD since... I dunno, Black Ops 2 maybe that I enjoyed the campaign. With those graphics game ended up being really, really graphic (lol). Shooting enemies never felt so real (sorry if I sound as a maniac lol). Graphics, sounds, some of the missions - it all added up to the point when I can simply say that I loved new Call of Duty. And yeah that story was a little meh and the whole Russia shitstorm might be a bit sketchy but after all it's simply a game. Loved every second of it. Oh and the "after ending" and after credits scenes... oh boy that was great.

Multiplayer is good too. Been a while since I played PvP outside Destiny and even though sitting in a corner like a bitch seems to be the theme of this Call of Duty, I still enjoy running around getting killed every 5 seconds lol.

Main Post

Still some time to end up a winner this year! Playing soon: Death Stranding.

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017
33. Spider-Man: Far From Home Virtual Reality (Steam VR WMR, 2019/08/10, 1 hrs)

How is this only a free promo? They nailed the hardest part, the first person spidey web swinging, but then just add one boss and a few trials?! The traversal is so much fun. Sense of height and movement inertia spot on. What a bummer there isn't more game meat on the bone.

34. Hellsinker (Steam, 2019/08/18, 46 hrs)

There's polish and then there's too much polish resulting in obtuseness. This bullet hell shooter's complexity sports a life of its own. Things are changing and unlocking in mysterious ways. This STG is the reality check for players who think they've seen it all. The amount of systems and characters is insane, like 5-6 games rolled into one. Hellsinker is forever, it became one of my all time favorites.

35. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (Steam, 2019/09/13, 90 hrs)

I'm a big Souls fan and playing Sekiro blind was super refreshing. The japanese folklore setting, skill focus, prosthetics tool kit, progression, level design, difficulty, everything resonated with me. I loved 99% of it all, but Isshin (last boss fight) was some serious bullshito. Amazing overall and a strong GOTY contender.

36. Horizon Chase Turbo (PS4, 2019/09/22, 2/3 of a DS4 charge)

This racer reminded me a lot of Lotus Turbo Challenge on the Amiga. Best enjoyed in short bursts, nice arcade fun for a quick race here and there. They did a great job with the controls, very tight and fun.

[index]

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
98. Putt Putt goes the Moon
latest

Almost skipped out on this during my backlog clearing :V
Another light adventure game from H. Entertainment this time with some more mini games to play in.

99. Putt Putt saves the Zoo
714f5e882e8dd27d2cf288fb9b97c3bee7de8fd2.jpeg

This game gives a comfy Windows 95 feel with its visuals.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
Belarus
Main Post part 1

-------

31. The Emerald Maiden: Symphony of Dreams - 3.5 hours
Not much to say about this one, pretty average HOG with kinda short story. The only thing that makes it stand out is artstyle, which is blatantly copying original BioShock, they copied everything, even a pipe hacking puzzle. The story takes place in an underwater city were some mysterious experiment went wrong, and you occasionally meeting the masked architect of that city who is somehow connected to the protagonist... Really, really average game that will interest only those who love that kind of games. If you want to get into the HOG genre, I suggest you find a better game instead.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
header.jpg

Game #102 - Juicy Realm
Time: 10+ hours

Very cool dual stick shooter roguelike, much in the same vein as Enter the Gungeon or Nuclear Throne, and while it doesn't really do anything new, what it does it does very well, it's super charming and most importantly, very fun to play. Nine characters with various abilities to use, a ton of weapons to unlock and various difficulty modifiers that you unlock as you finish the game on previous difficulties should keep people busy for awhile, but the game isn't very hard (it's certainly easier than the other games I mentioned) and there are only five levels / biomes per run. Still, it looks gorgeous with really cool 2d art and character desing, and the weapons and powers you use are super wacky so it's worth it if you are looking for something to scratch the ETG itch (and you are done with ETG of course).

Main Post