52 Games. 1 Year. 2020.

TheOneJat

Oct 1, 2018
I'm in. 2020 is the year of clearing out the backlog for me and I always love reading this thread so lets go!

1. 10,000,000
2. The Outer Worlds
3. You Must Build A Boat
4. Gone Home
5. Hidden Folks
6. Lego The Hobbit
7. Lego Lord of the Rings
8. Steamworld Dig
8. Lego Star Wars The Original Trilogy
1. 10,000,000 - Addictive RPG match em' up that I've played through a few times in recent years. Really love this type of game. 4/5.

2. The Outer Worlds - I was really into this at first but it never got to the levels of addiction that previous fallout games have given me. Completed all the side quests early on but after a few hours I ended up just pushing through the story - decent game overall but slightly disappointing - 3/5.

3. You Must Build A Boat - Addictive follow up to 10,000,000. Really love this sort of game and the follow up added a lot of nice little bits. 4/5

4. Gone Home - Intriguing 90 minutes of gameplay from this. I was actually really invested in the story.

5. Hidden Folks - Really addictive 'Wheres Wally?' like game. Wish there were more of these around. 4/5.

6. Lego The Hobbit - Love Lego. Love the Tolkien universe. Voice acted. Great humor. Perfect game for me. 5/5

7. Lego Lord of the Rings - Same Lego addictive action in the Tolkien universe. So much content packed into these but I just played through the main storyline. 5/5

8. Steamworld Dig - Only took me just under 4 hours to complete this. Absolute little gem of a game. Addictive currency-collecting and not overly difficult. Recommended. 4/5.

9. Lego Star Wars - The Original Trilogy - After the previous two Lego games I still had an urge to keep on going with the franchise. Unfortunately this games age really shows. Hit boxes are awful at time and the AI companions are terrible. Still not a bad little playthrough none the less. 3/5.
CURRENTLY PLAYING

Steamworld Dig 2
Puzzle Quest: COTW
Yooka Laylee and the Impossible Lair
Fable Anniversary
Aces of the Luftwaffe Squadron

Last edited:

FRANKEINSTEIN

Oct 27, 2017
AZ
Almost made it last year. I'll give it another shot.
★★★★★

JANUARY
1. Hidden Agenda (PS4) Jan 3 2 Hrs ★★★

Decent game. Hated my ending but don't care enough to play through again. Definitely a few steps down from Until Dawn. I think I paid $4 or 5 for it so overall I'm ok with the purchase.
2. Resident Evil: HD Remaster (PS4) Jan 10 15.5 Hrs ★★★
I never played RE on the GameCube but I did play it on PS1. Although never beat it. Really great game. A few puzzles I had to look up and most of the time I shook my head because the answer was obvious.
3. Afterparty (XB1) Jan 12 5 Hrs
Real big fan of Oxenfree. So I was immediately interested in Afterparty when it was announced. Finally got around to it and overall not a fan. Voice acting was good but both protagonists were annoying. Then I really don't like what they did with the ending. Also lot of frame drops and stuttering.
4. Guacamelee 2 (XB1) Jan 15 8.5 Hrs ★★★★★
Well maybe, maybe not as good as the original but if not, pretty damn close. I love this series and hopefully we get another next gen.
5. Untitled Goose Game (XB1) Jan 17 2.5 Hrs ★★★
Kept hearing about this game and being on Gamepass, I figured I'd try it out. It was alright. Definitely perfect length.

Last edited:

Nbz

Oct 26, 2017
UK
I did it last year with 58 games beat! A new record for me. Let's go again!

January

1. Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back - 03/01/19
2. Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped - 08/01/19
3. Dead Cells - 09/08/19

Last edited:

robesgruyere

Jul 14, 2018
1. Hollow Knight (Switch) | 2nd Jan | 27hrs | 5/5
2. Katana Zero (Switch) | 5th Jan | ~6hrs | 4/5
3. Crypt of the Necrodancer (Switch) | 5th Jan | ~20hrs | 4/5
4. Bury Me, My Love (Switch) | 5th Jan | 2hrs | 3/5
5. Monument Valley II (Android) | 9th Jan | 2hrs | 4/5
6. When Ski Lifts Go Wrong (PC) | 9th Jan | 10hrs | 4/5
7. SUPERHOT (PC) | 9th Jan | 3.5hrs | 4/5
8. Ape Out (PC) | 10th Jan | 2hrs | 4/5
9. Sayonara Wild Hearts (PC) | 11th Jan | 1hr | 5/5
10. Pokemon Shield (Switch) | 12th Jan | 19hrs | 2/5
11. Metal Slug 2 (PC) | 13th Jan | 45min | 5/5
12. Fire Emblem: Three Houses (Switch) | 16th Jan | 37hrs | 5/5

CURRENTLY PLAYING
1. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare - Single Player Campaign Completion
2. Chocobo Mystery Dungeon EVERY BUDDY! - Single Player Story Completion
3. Untitled Goose Game - Completion
4. Knights of the Old Republic - Completion
5. Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age: Definitive Edition - Story Completion
6. Disco Elysium - Completion
1. Final Fantasy XIV: Shadowbringers - All Jobs to 80; 10/18 Complete
2. Diablo 3 - Season 20 Completion to GR 100
3. Slay the Spire - Complete Act 3 on All Characters (I've tried for the heart before, I'm not mad enough to keep going)
4. Destiny 2 - Some theoretical condition will rear its head, it'll pull me in again at some point.
If I have the motivation to return and complete it later, I'll move it up, but these are the games I've failed to complete so far for whatever reason.

1. Creature in the Well - ★★☆☆☆ -

Last edited:

MsMuerta

Nov 8, 2017
Will I achieve the goal this year? Seems like it! Just kidding, but let's start!

1. Superhot (Xbox One) - Finished 01/01/2020 - 8/10 - I really liked the experience, shame I didn't play it on VR as it is intended, I guess. In the end it overstays its welcome a bit, but it's short enough to not bother me.
2. Minit (Xbox One) - Finished 01/01/2020 - 7/10 - I found the concept generally interesting, but looking back there were some boring "Guide Dang it" sections which didn't play to the game's strengths.
3. Gris (Switch) - Finished 02/01/2020 - 8/10 - What a beautiful game. The controls were easy to grasp and we got some fine platforming portions, so I feel it balances both its gameplay and narration quite tastefully.
4. The Touryst (Switch) - Finished 04/01/2020 - 8.5/10 - A short but fun experience, can't recommend it enough. I guess Part II is coming and I can't wait to see what new activities will they have us experience!
5. Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts n' Bolts (Xbox 360 - played on One) - 3/10 - Yeah, I tried to argue the "it's a good game but a bad Banjo game" but in the last worlds they make you endure terrible controls just to justify some shallow difficulty that never existed. Furthermore, I don't think the franchise had such burnout that they had to go the "meta" route to be funny - heck, Banjo-Kazooie 1 barely has any cutscenes nor dialogues (plot-relevant I meant) and it was much funnier than this mess. I loathe all the worlds - but having played previous entries recently made me appreciate Banjoland a bit more.
6. Viva Piñata: Trouble in Paradise (Xbox 360 - played on One) - “Finished” (level 33) on 11/01 - 9/10 - It's an ongoing game so I'm "cheating" a bit by including it on the list but I definitely love it and might play it until I grow bored of it which is basically what one would say "finishing" one of these games means.
7. Baba is You (Nintendo Switch) - Finished on 15/01 - 8.5/10 - a nice puzzle game that can get frustrating but doesn’t feel too punishing.
8. Devil May Cry V (Xbox One) - Finished on 16/01 - 9/10 - As a big Bayonetta fan I expected to enjoy this, but this much? Too bad it was my first approach to the saga so I don’t have the emotional attachment to the characters that the game required. Oh well, off to playing the remasters we go! Thank you Miss PS Now :)
9. Marvel vs Capcom Infinite (Xbox One) - Finished on 17/01 - 5/10 - I was a huge UMvC3, so this was very disappointing. The roster wasn’t really great and the gameplay didn’t hit as hard. The fact we get to see some of the DLC characters during Story mode is sickening (in a bad way)

Currently finishing:
Banjo-Tooie
Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair
Wandersong
TWD Season 1
The Wonderful 101
Quantum Break
Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice
FFIX
FFVII

Last edited:

Yahtzee!

Nov 12, 2017

Game 4: A Short Hike (PC) (47 Minutes) (3/5) (January 2nd, 2020)
I love this game, I heard it was good but I could not stop smiling the whole time I was playing. The game was so lovely and alive with animals running back and forth for a marathon or a kid who wants to do a parkour race. The game let me explore this small little island and make me feel lost just like I was a young kid again. The graphics and music are also beautiful and just made me feel lost so when I saw I only took 47 minutes I was in shock. I don't have much more to say. If it was a bit longer maybe I'd give it more? It's A Short Hike for a reason. It doesn't do anything revolutionary but it's a memorable experience. Maybe in my top 10 games from 2019?

Main Post

shaneo632

Oct 29, 2017
Essex, UK
I fell short last year with 43 but I'm really committed to doing 52 this time.

I'm about 75% through Astral Chain so that'll be my #1 this week. A bit of a cheat perhaps but ehh.

Athrum

Oct 18, 2019
Alright, let me jump in on this as well

1. Devil May Cry V - 01/01 (Xbox GamePass) - finally played it on GamePass, the game is pretty solid. Loved the final battle (also started it before 2019, so maybe I'm cheating on this one)
2. Life is Strange 2 - 02/01 (PS4) - Nice story but it's definitely worse than LiS and doesn't hold a candle to Before the Storm.
3. Afterparty - 06/01 - (Xbox GamePass) - Pretty fun experience but it dragged around when you had to hop from one place to another. The humor and voice acting was top notch, even if the ending was a bit meh.
4. Wolfenstein II The New Colossus - (Xbox GamePass) - 16/01 - The game started out really strong, I really liked B.J.'s monologues how he felt like he was dying, and then halfway through the game everything goes tits up. The story goes off the rails, the difficulty spiked so high I had to lower it and the ending was quite weak.
5. Untitled Goose Game - (Xbox GamePass) - 17/01 - Cute and quaint. It's fun for a couple of hours, but I don't understand all the praise the game got. If it wasn't for gamepass I don't think I would've bought it.

Last edited:

toth3max

Apr 17, 2018
Ok, I'll accept the challenge. Finished 19 games 2019 but will put some effort to it this year, have a lot of unfinished games to finally complete.

Completed (4/52)
1. GRIS (Switch) | 2nd Jan - 2.5hrs | 4/5
2. Gato Roboto (Switch) | 6th Jan - 3.5 h | 3/5
3. Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon (Xbox) | 12th Jan - 2 h | 3/5
4. Just Dance 2019 (Switch) | 16th Jan - 10 h | 4/5

Currently playing
. Ori and the Blind Forest (Xbox)
. Dragon’s crown pro (PS4)
. Ace combat 7 (PS4)
. Thumper (PSVR)
1. GRIS (Switch) | 2nd Jan - 2.5 hrs | 4/5
2. Gato Roboto (Switch) | 6th Jan - 3.5 hrs | 3/5
3. Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon (Xbox) | 12th Jan - 2 hrs | 3/5
4. Just Dance 2019 (Switch) | 16th Jan - 10 h | 4/5

Last edited:

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
and here we go again.

Main Post 1

Game #1 - Final Fantasy XIV
Time: Ongoing

Might aswell start with this one as it has consumed my life and it will be on the list anyway. Played through A Realm Reborn last year and liked it well enough, but as you get into Heavensward, the frist expansion, and you start understanding all the systems better, it truly becomes something special. Totally in love with the game, both as a MMO and a Final Fantasy game, and it's one of those rare cases where it just keeps getting better and better. Super excited to start Stormblood next, with Shadowbringers still on the horizon for me which most say is the best expansion yet. Easily one of my favorite games in years.

Game #2 - Fate / EXTELLA The Umbral Star
Time: 40 hours

I'm a little torn on this one, as the first Musou game I've ever finished and I'm left very luke warm on it. I liked a lot of it, mainly the gameplay and the flashy anime skills, but the matrix meets anime harem story was shit and the whole stuff with the waifus is kinda creepy (especially the master / servant stuff). The gameplay is very fun, with fast paced combos and action, cool looking skills and characters, but it also suffers from a problem I'm noticing with Musous (noticed it in One Piece as well), if you like the character you are playing the game is great, but if you don't like a particular character and you are forced to use it, the whole experience drags down significantely. Add to that the fact that the story mode is way too long, and like I said, I'm left luke warm. Apparently the sequel is much shorter and more focused so I'm curious to play it, as I did like the gameplay in this quite a bit.

Last edited:

Rirse

Jun 29, 2019
Might as we move this over from the thread I did that had no replies. I am going to try one game a day at least using games I own physically. Don't expect many of these to be beaten, as it mostly me revisiting games I not played in ages or never before at all. Or games I have old saves I want to try to finish.

I do hope to beat at least 52 of these games in the course of the year. Any I beat will get edited into this post.

1. Pokemon Sword

For day one (January 1st) I picked the original Castlevania.

Honestly I didn't like the original Castlevania. I got up to Death as a kid, but these days I get too annoyed with level 2 instant kill falling spikes and medusa heads. I only really have it for being the original entry in the series.

Last edited:

Ted

Oct 25, 2017
-72.290091, 0.795254
Best thread is back again! 2020 is officially here!

Well done to those who made in 2019 (and to those who didn't but still contributed), thanks to Wozzer for once again looking after the thread and last but not least, good luck to all those participating this year.

2017 - 52
2018 - 10
2019 - 38

01/Jan - 2020 looks to be a challenging year for me and mine but so far so good, I even finished up The Painscreek Killings which I've been playing and loving over the Christmas period on the very first day of the new year so I'm taking that as a good omen.

04/Jan - Unlocked the last level of PAKO - Car Chase Simulator today and tried all of the challenges, completing these in the target times is going to be too hard for me so I'm calling this one done.

08/Jan - Sleeping Dogs completed, fun stuff apart perhaps from the end that forced me to use the guns which just don't feel great!

11/Jan - I unlocked the final level of PAKO 2 earlier in the week and have now bought the "best" car and put in scores I'm happy with on each level. I think in terms of this challenge I'm done but I have no doubt this will be game a revisit frequently when I just want something quick to play for 10 minutes.

11/ Jan - I also played through the Sleeping Dogs DLC Nightmare in North Point. Short and OK. Not much to say here. Annoyed by the pallet swap!
Completed Games (05/52) - 47 to go
#01: The Painscreek Killings - EQ Studios - PC - comments to follow - ★★★★☆
#02: PAKO - Car Chase Simulator - Tree Men Games - PC - comments to follow - ★★★☆☆
#03: Sleeping Dogs - United Front Games - PC - comments to follow - ★★★☆☆
#04: PAKO 2- Tree Men Games - PC - comments to follow - ★★★★☆
#05: Sleeping Dogs - Nightmare in North Point - United Front Games - PC - comments to follow - ★★☆☆☆

★☆☆☆☆ - Bad | ★★☆☆☆ - OK | ★★★☆☆ - Good | ★★★★☆ - Great | ★★★★★ - Exceptional

Currently Playing:

Games with a theoretical end

Destiny 2: Forsaken - Bungie - PC
Destiny 2: Shadowkeep - Bungie - PC
Half-Life 2 - Valve - PC
Sleeping Dogs - Year of the Snake - United Front Games - PC

Games without a built in win condition
BeamNG.Drive - BeamNG - PC
Euro Truck Simulator 2 - SCS Software - PC
Kerbal Space Program - Squad - PC

Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes - Steel Crate Games - PC
PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS - PUBG Corp - PC
Watch_Dogs 2 - Ubisoft - PC (REPLAY)
Totally Accurate Battle Simulator - Landfall - PC
Forza Horizon 3 - Playground Games - PC
The Outer Worlds - Obsidian - PC
Hitman 2 - IO Interactive - PC
GAME #01: The Painscreek Killings
EQ Studios - PC - ★★★★☆

Completion State:
Completed the game both alive and dead (11.7 hours, 90% Steam achievements)

Comments:
Good, layered detective adventure game. Find the clues, solve the puzzles, ascertain who the killer is. Easy to say, harder to do but never so hard as to feel obtuse or unfair.

Looks dated at this point but that's neither here nor there, it kept me gripped for the full 10 hours.

GAME #02: PAKO - Car Chase Simulator
Tree Men Games - PC - ★★★☆☆

Completion State:
Unlocked all levels and tried a few challenges (3.8 hours, 30% Steam achievements)

Comments:
One of the best games i've played 120 seconds *ahem* 30 seconds at a time!

Ridiculously hard but a lot of fun. It occasionally feels unfair mostly due to the view but restarting is so quick who cares!
GAME #03: Sleeping Dogs
United Front Games - PC - ★★★☆☆

Completion State:
Completed the story and some side content (21 hours, 30% Steam achievements)

Comments:
Great game with some fun melee combat marred by some padding in the back third which is exacerbated by the insistence I use guns for the final few missions. With the shooting being so bad it leaves a bad taste in my mouth just as the story is coming to a pretty OK conclusion.
GAME #04: PAKO 2
Tree Men Games - PC - ★★★★☆

Completion State:
Unlocked all levels (9.5 hours, 63% Steam achievements)

Comments:
A perfect sequel the PAKO - Car Chase Simulator, more advance in every way but without losing any of the originals charm of style. Fantastic stuff.
GAME #05: Sleeping Dogs - Nightmare in North Point
United Front Games - PC - ★★☆☆☆

Completion State:
Completed the story and some side content (1.5 hours)

Comments:
Short DLC included with the definitive edition of the game. Fun diversion I suppose but the pallet change takes A LOT away from the uniqueness of the locale.
W_D 2
Love the hacking toys. Leads to lots of creative ways to "solve" rather than complete missions.
Characters are fun and though cliché are nicely written (though with a few glaring moments of PIS). I wonder if a lot of the reasons they get criticised is that a lot of the puns and plays on hacker culture are a little too close to home for folk who love their "memes".
Surprisingly tough on my PC.
KSP
To use an era-ism, this is the GOAT if you are into orbital mechanics and space as an scientific endeavour rather than a science fictional playground.
So many times have a fired this up to "quickly" achieve x objective but end up spending hours on something else!

Completion State:
Blah (n hours n% achievements)

Comments:
Blah
1. The Painscreek Killings (PC) | 01 Jan 2020 - 11.7hrs | 4/5
2. PAKO - Car Chase Simulator (PC) | 04 Jan 2020 - 3.8hrs | 3/5
3. Sleeping Dogs (PC) | 08 Jan 2020 - 21hrs | 3/5
4. PAKO 2 (PC) | 11 Jan 2020 - 9.5hrs | 4/5
5. Sleeping Dogs - Nightmare in North Point (PC) | 11 Jan 2020 - 1.5hrs | 2/5

Last edited:

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
1. Tangle Tower

Nice and light adventure game with great voice acting, lovely animation and a chill soundtrack.
Give it a play if you got a Switch, PC/Mac or Mobile at least.

Rirse

Jun 29, 2019
Here day two of my play a game every day entry (the one posted on this page was yesterday).

Never played Secret of Evermore before and I quite like it. I played up to the big bug on the coverart who killed me just as I figure out the gimmick to hurting him. Want to keep at this game through.

Bosh

Oct 26, 2017
#1: Sonic the Hedgehog (1-2-2020) | 8/10 | Genesis Mini | ~ 2 Hours | Recommend: Y
# Overall -8 | A fun platformer with unique ideas and large areas to explore
Gameplay - 8| Game controls well and when you get into a good flow it feels fantastic. Enemies are okay, boss battles are tad lame
Sound -8 | Some nice background tunes, Starlight Zone was my favorite
Story/Online -7 | Some levels/Acts were much better than others.
Asking Price- 7.67| Has decent replay value to fly through other parts of the levels although I don't see myself personally replaying it.

Last edited:

Spyware

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Update 1!

Five games beaten so I guess it is time to post something. Let's hope I keep liking this layout, I don't like having to go back and change it which I have done during some previous years.

1. Human: Fall Flat (PC) | 1st Jan - 29hrs | 5/5 | 100% Completion

Prior knowledge:
I completed the game before they added the level named Dark (and since then they have also added Steam and Ice), but I knew nothing about these levels added since then.​

The positives:
It's just so darn fun! Especially in co-op but I have hunted some achievements by myself too. Playing alone makes the game a bit of a different thing that also works well. It's quite buggy at times but I am putting it here in the positives on purpose, it makes for some hilarious situations. The community is filled to the brim with people making interesting levels (and some that make very questionable content, as always) and we spent most of the 8h session playing great workshop levels before going to the official stuff and grabbing the missing cheevos.​

The negatives:
I would love some harder levels, but I am still pleased with what we have.​

2. Dark Souls Remastered (PC) | 1st Jan - 58hrs | 5/5 | 100% Completion

Prior knowledge:
I have 100%ed the original PC version and played through it a couple of times since then too. This was my first time playing the remaster.​

The positives:
It's still good old Dark Souls 1. Superb combat, the interconnected world it does so well, some really nice bosses and cool areas. I usually play either a caster or a dex/speedy quality character with very fast weapons in the Souls games, so I challenged myself to grab something slower this time which ended up being really fun. Especially NG++ was a blast. I still prefer my Swag Sword and generally quicker stuff tho. Fighting O&S solo is always a treat and I also love the whole DLC.​

The negatives:
While I do adore the game I think it is overall the weakest of the Souls games. It's superb, just not as superb as the others in my opinion. It's too easy and has some really low lows. I don't really mind Bed of Chaos as much as some but I have a real issue with the arena where you fight the Four Kings. Izalith isn't that bad since it's so short, it's just boring and ugly. Ruins is a slog even tho it's very atmospheric. I simply think Dark Souls suffers a bit when you know the game as well as I do.​

3. Stick Fight: The Game (PC) | 2nd Jan - 4hrs | 4/5 | 100% Completion

Prior knowledge:
Had played it once before with my brother and partner, but we hadn't really looked at the settings, made any custom matches and such.​

The positives:
The chaos! It's also very fast paced and light which makes it easy to pick up and play for just a short session between bigger things. The weapons are really fun, especially when you have not learned them yet. Picking up a new weapon and using it for the first time can kill you very fast and that usually leads to a lot of laughter.​

The negatives:
The levels didn't always show up and it often skipped the most fun ones. The online wasn't perfectly synced and since we were sitting right next to each other we could see that on my brother's screen my character wasn't where it was on my own screen. It lead to some situations where he was aiming straight at me on his screen but still couldn't hit me. Wasn't a big problem tho.​

4. Gang Beasts (PC) | 2nd Jan - 5hrs | 3/5 | 100% Completion

Prior knowledge:
Played most of the levels before in Melee mode.​

The positives:
I had a really fun time trying to grab the achievements together with my little brother. It became more of a co-op "players vs stages" thing were we tried to figure out how to unlock the cheevos without looking anything up. The wonky physics and bugs also creates some very silly situations (flying trucks anyone?). We also enjoyed the pretty challenging Waves mode.​

The negatives:
I'm really not as enamored with this game as most of my friends. They seem to think this is the ultimate multiplayer game but I think it loses its appeal very fast. Stick Fight is better at the chaos thing and it's hard not to compare the looks to Human Fall Flat (which was inspired by this game among others) which looks so much better and feels better to control. I'm not really a versus player tho so that definitely colors my view of games of that type.​

5. Apocalipsis (PC) | 2nd Jan - 3hrs | 3/5 | 100% Completion

Prior knowledge:
Absolutely none. I saw the header image on Game Pass and the short description that said it was a point & click. Figured it was worth trying out.​

The positives:
The art style and design, it's really freaky looking! Some puzzles were fun and the story, while not really anything special, was good enough.​

The negatives:
It's not very clear about what to do and why most of the time. You can easily brute force everything because every screen is its own puzzle, so you can get through a bunch of puzzles without knowing why what you did was the right thing.​

NarcAn

Feb 1, 2019
First update!

1. Dreaming Sarah (Pc) / 02/01/2020 - 2:30h / 3/5. -> A 2D Yume Nikki like game, but this time with an easy to follow story. Quite relaxing to play an explore all the different worlds!

Bastion

Oct 27, 2017
Game 1-Persona 4 Arena(2012)-Xbox 360-Beaten on January 2
-I continue my Persona 3/4 marathon that started in November. I loved the story mode of this game! I do wish it was one cohesive story instead of forcing us to go through all he different characters to get the full story. Looking forward to Ultimax! 9/10

Game 2-Persona 3 FES The Answer-(2008)-PS2-Beaten on January 6
-I once again, am continuing my Persona 3/4 game playthrough. This time is is the epilogue to Persona 3. This was ok and pretty much a dungeon crawl with some story beats throughout. Without Gameshark codes, I would have never beaten it as it’s hard. 7/10

Game 3-Kentucky Route Zero Act I(2013)-PC via GPD Win-Beaten on January 11
-Since Act 5 is coming later this month, I decided to finally start this game I have been meaning to play for years. I really liked the low key graphics and sound effects but, I don’t really understand what was going on and found it boring overall. I will continue the series however. 5/10

Game 4-Persona 4 Arena Ultimax(2013)-Xbox 360-Beaten on January 12
-I loved this game and the story flowed a lot better than the first Arena. Great game if you like Persona 3 and 4. 10/10

Game 5-Kentucky Route Zero Act II(2013)PC via GPD Win-Beaten on January 13
-I still don’t know what to think of this game. It got all these positive reviews for story and I just find it kinda of boring. Love the graphics and sound though. 5/10

Game 6-Kentucky Route Zero Act III(2014)-PC via GPD Win-Beaten on January 13
-I continue to dislike this game. Just don’t see the point. I did like the song that was song in the bar. Otherwise I couldn’t wait for this episode to end. 4/10

Game 7-Kentucky Route Zero Act IV(2016)-PC via GPD Win-Beaten on January 1
-Worst episode yet. I have no idea what is going on and frankly I don’t care. I am playing it because I bought but no longer look forward to episode five. Honestly,, the only game I have ever played that I could wait for it to be over. The game is well made but the story is so boring and goes no where. 3/10

Game 8-Too the Moon(2020)-Switch-Beaten on January 17
-I have been moved by movies and cried many times over the years, but I have never come close to crying by playing a video game. I’m not sure what it is. Same thing with scary movies and games. Games don’t scare me. That all changed today when completing this game. I didn’t cry but I felt emotion welling. Very touching. 10/10

Last edited:

OmegaMori

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
1.LEGO Star Wars 2: The Original Trilogy (360) Via XB1X

Not a bad game but kinda repetitive and sloppy controls finished up in just under 7 hours. Watched all 9 Star Wars movies and finished Jedi Fallen Order over the holidays and was still on a Stars Was kick. I put on some podcasts and played threw the story. Never felt the need to go back and do any of the extras tho

Next Up: Lego Star Wars 3:The Complete Saga

Whimsicalish

Dec 30, 2019
Midwest
My husband, Lobotomaxx, showed me this site. We're going to encourage each other. We are playing some games together (our PCs are side by side), so our lists will have some of the same games. I anticipate this will be a challenge for me, but I have plenty of games in my backlog. Hopefully this will encourage me to keep at it. Thank you for sharing this community.

My images are created for dark theme, oops. Sorry anyone that uses light theme.

COMPLETED: 04/52

Post Review: 01 | Knights of Pen and Paper 2 | PC Steam | Jan 4th | 9hrs | 3/5
Post Review: 02 | Darkness Within: In Pursuit of Loath Nolder | PC Steam | Jan 5th | 9hrs | 3/5
Post Review: 03 | Monster Prom | PC Steam | Jan 8th | 13hrs | 4/5
Post Review: 04 | Glass Masquerade 2: Illusions | PC Steam | Jan 16th | 8hrs | 5/5
Planet Zoo
My Time at Portia
Pokemon Let's Go
Pokemon Sword
Mario + Rabbids

Last edited:

nbnt

Oct 26, 2017
I'm in. 52? I can do double that!
1. Woodle Tree Adventures (PC) | 1st Jan - 1hr | 1/5
2. Suzy Cube (PC) | 2nd Jan - 3hrs | 2/5
3. Metal Slug (PC) | 2nd Jan - 1hr | 2/5
4. Metal Slug 2 (PC) | 2nd Jan - 1hr | 2/5
5. Metal Slug 3 (PC) | 3rd Jan - 1hr | 3/5
6. Double Dragon (PC) | 3rd Jan - 1hr | 1/5
7. Double Dragon II: The Revenge (PC) | 3rd Jan - 1hr | 2/5
8. Double Dragon III: The Sacred Stones (PC) | 3rd Jan - 1hr | 1/5
9. Mother Russia Bleeds (PC) | 4th Jan - 4hrs | 4/5
10. A Way Out (XBO) | 4th Jan - 6hrs | 2/5
11. Painkiller: Black Edition (PC) | 6th Jan - 10hrs | 4/5
12. Spyro the Dragon Remaster (PC) | 7th Jan - 5hrs | 2/5
13. Serious Sam HD: The First Encounter (PC) | 8th Jan - 9hrs | 3/5
14. Ben and Ed (PC) | 11th Jan - 4hrs | 3/5
15. Serious Sam HD: The Second Encounter (PC) | 14th Jan - 11hrs | 3/5
16. Dungeons & Dragons: Shadow over Mystara (PC) | 15th Jan - 1hr | 1/5
17. Final Fight (PC) | 15th Jan - 1hr | 2/5
18. Dungeons & Dragons: Tower of Doom (PC) | 16th Jan - 1hr | 1/5
19. The King of Dragons (PC) | 16th Jan - 1hr | 2/5
20. Captain Commando (PC) | 17th Jan - 1hr | 1/5

Last edited:

wraith2021

Dec 30, 2019
1. Mega Man 4 (PS4) | 2nd Jan - 1.5hrs | 4/5
2. Mega Man (PS4) | 4th Jan - 5hrs | 1/5
3. Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice (Xbox One) | 5th Jan - 9hrs | 4/5
4. Super Mario Bros 2 (Switch Online) | 11th Jan - 1hr | 5/5
5. The Touryst (Switch) | 15th Jan - 6.75hrs | 2/5

Last edited:

Chas Hodges

Nov 7, 2017
2018 - 79
2019 - 80
2020 - ??

Here we go, lads.

1. Ascendance (Switch) - 03/01/20 - ~4 hours (Credits)

Did I enjoy this one?

An artsy, first person platformer. Parkour your way around minimalist stages, tagging orbs that then expand the stage vertically. Climb higher and higher until you unveil a point of literal ascendance, and the Switch struggles to render the world in double digits.

There are three stages, which will take between 30-60 minutes to beat depending on your platforming proficiency. There are also collectibles which I spent a long time tracking down before realising they're not tracked whatsoever, and beating a stage resets your collection and their position anyway, so I gave up bothering on the second and third worlds.

With a bit of polish this would be an easy recommend - indeed, it's available on other platforms and is probably a much more enjoyable experience there. It was worth the eShop sale price though.

And with that, 2020 is underway.

2. Lego: Builder's Journey (Apple Arcade) - 04/01/20 - ~90mins (Credits)

Apple Arcade's line up has now stabilised at around 100+ games, but new titles are still trickling onto the service. Early December saw Lego: Builder's Journey join the platform. A gorgeous, if short, spatial puzzle game that uses the inherent tactility of Lego bricks to create a game that fits the brand better than almost any released to date by Traveller's Tales.

Each isometric stage asks that you help a figure navigate from one side of the map to the other by placing stepping stones. At first, this is as easy as lifting and placing, lifting and placing with an almost walking rhythm, but further into the experience this requires considering the verticality of the stage, and manipulating the available pieces to help ensure safe passage.

This is not a hard game, but it is a touching game about connection in both a tactile sense (has it ever felt this good to place virtual Lego bricks?) and an emotional sense. It also features some of the best graphics I think I've ever seen - think the tilt shift of Link's Awakening, but with the pseudo stop-frame animation style seen in the Lego Movie. So, so good.

3. LOVE (Switch) - 04/01/20 - ~4 hours (A++)

Been playing this on and off for a week. 16 short stages, 100 lives, set your own checkpoints. How hard can it be?

Pretty bloody hard as it turns out. My first completion took 99 of my 100 lives. The end screen rewarded me with a D- grade. My second, was much improved. An A- with around 40 deaths. The game was 'beaten' but I really felt like I could do a bit more with practice. By the time I finally received my coveted A++ today, I had slimmed down my statistics to just 12 deaths, 14 checkpoints.

I loved how tangible progress felt over the runs, even if I got frustrated sometimes when I fucked up bits I knew I could do better at. The game got a remake / sequel called Kuso, but it was expanded from 16 to 40+ levels and I'm a bit concerned that it would have lost some of its learnable purity in the transition. we'll see.

4. The Gardens Between (Switch) - 05/01/20 - ~4 hours (Credits)

We're basically four for four here, as The Gardens Between is another absolute cracker.

Each stage has you guiding two characters around a rotating diorama. The gimmick comes from your analogue stick not controlling the characters directly, but rather the pre-decided path and actions of the characters and world around them - think tracking backwards and forwards over a tape head. At first, this just means you might collect an item high up the level, rewind to deposit it earlier along your path, to then unlock something further up the trek.

However, by the game's end, you're having to consider how elements interact, how to avoid obstacles despite not having direct control, playing with forced perspective, and all sorts. It's genuinely exciting, unique even amongst other 'time manipulation' games like Braid, and wrapped up with a gorgeous art style and sweet story. Great, great stuff.

Last edited:

honorless

Oct 28, 2017
I have a ton of short games on my list this year. why not

1. Title of Game (platform) | 0th Jan - 0hrs | 0/5

ty_hot

Dec 14, 2017
Let's see how this year goes, but I am aiming at 1 game per 2 weeks because I sped way too much time on PES and Apex...

Dec

Oct 26, 2017
Dec - 4/52 Games

1. Demon's Souls ★★★ | 17 hours | Jan 3rd
2. Crosscode ★★★★ | 30 hours | Jan 7th
Bonus replay: Darksiders Genesis | 17 hours | Jan 12th
3. Her Story ★★★★ | 2 hours | Jan 13th
4. Telling Lies ★★ | 3 hours | Jan 13th

Previous years:
54/52 2018
58/52 2019

Last edited:

random gamer

Jan 9, 2018
I need some motivation to get through my backlog, so hopefully this will help!

Currently Playing

- Doom II: Hell on Earth
- RE 7
- Luigi's Mansion 3

My backloggery

1. God of War (PS4) | 6th Jan - 24hrs | 5/5

1. God of War (PS4) - Incredible game, amazing evolution of the god of war series, can't wait for the sequel!

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Did it in 2018, didn't even get halfway in 2019. Let's see how 2020 goes?

1. Luigi's Mansion 3 - [8.8/10] About 13 hours, January 2nd
Guess I lucked out that I only had like two hours left to play in this game, gets me a nice headstart on this year. Extremely charming and fun game, but the last few floors just kinda fly by and the last few fights are a bit ridiculous. I played the entire game co-op, and I cannot even imagine how Hellen Gravely would work as a solo boss. Still, the animations are legitimately some of the best I've ever seen in any video game, so that alone is a huge achievement.

chrominance

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, random question that maybe technically should be in the 2019 thread but will likely be more visible here: did the Spoiler tag scraping work out? Are we able to collect automated stats from people, or nah?

dreams

Oct 25, 2017
You know what, I'll try this out this year. Conveniently started playing Leaf Green on January 1st so that will be my first game for my list.

Games completed: 1/52

1. Grimm's Hollow (PC) | 11th Jan - 2hrs | 4/5
2. Hypnospace Outlaw (PC) | 12 Jan - 3 hrs | 3/5

Grimm's Hollow
Really cute little RPGmaker game about a trainee reaper. Made the Grim Reaper into a cuddly grandpa, which sounds absurd but fit surprisingly well with the atmosphere. Games like this are always quite short, but it was touching at times. The art was also really lovely. I'd definitely be into an expansion based on this concept if they ever did something like that. Absolutely wonderful for it being free, though.

Hypnospace Outlaw
This game is not really my type of game, but I really loved Dropsy, so I kickstarted it back in the day. It's pretty interesting and somewhat nostalgic. The first few cases I did on my own which was the bulk of the time I spent playing this, since I truly thought you had to click through absolutely everything, but after getting a bit sick of it, I followed a guide. I don't really know how to review this since it's just simply not my type of game. If you want to be immersed in a 1999 internet simulator, this is for you. The story is not very existent, but it was fun.

Currently playing
Pokemon: Leaf Green
The Amber Throne
Divinity: Original Sin
Cuphead
Blasphemous

To Play
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Inside
Hyper Light Drifter
Jotun
Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair

Last edited:

Weiss

Oct 25, 2017
2. Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble - 03/01/2019

Not as good as DKC2, still a lot better than a lot of SNES games.

MRYEAH

Oct 28, 2017
The hall across the room
Main Post

Currently Playing
Control
Slay The Spire
Ring Fit Adventure (4 days in ) (w/girlfriend)
Mario/Rabbids Kingdom Adventure
Return of The Obra Dinn (w/girlfriend)
Murdered Soul Suspect (w/girlfriend)
Outer Wilds (w/girlfriend)

Bosh

Oct 26, 2017
#2: MegaMan (1-3-2020) | 8/10 | Genesis Mini | ~ 3 Hours | Recommend: Y
# Overall -8 | Platformer that challenges you in just enough ways and test your knowledge
Gameplay - 8.2| Played Sega Genesis version but game controls well. Willy's castle was a great test
Sound -7 | Game has good chiptunes but they all blend together to much. Nothing distinctive
Story/Online -8 | Level variety is nice. Only thing that could be improved is boss rooms always same.
Asking Price- 8| Felt like the right length. Beacause you can do any boss first could be interesting to go back to do different order.

Rirse

Jun 29, 2019
Day 3 is a game that will probably end up being finish this year, as it a recent purchase that I am really enjoying a lot.

Didn't get this at launch but glad I finally pick it up. I know that I could took a picture using the ingame screenshot tool, but all these pictures will be a picture of the tv playing them.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
First update post! Got games #1-4 finished.

#1 A Hat in Time – Completed 1/1/2020 PC – 8 hours
#2 Katamari Damacy: Reroll – Completed 1/1/2020 PC – 3 hours
#3 Yooka-Laylee and The Impossible Lair – Completed 1/3/2020 PC – 10 hours
#4 Grow Home – Completed 1/4/2020 PS4 – 3 hours

A Hat in Time -- I played this entirely in co-op, and we had a blast. Shorter than I expected, and I would've liked one or two more worlds in the basegame, but it was still a top-notch 3D platformer.

Katamari Damacy: Reroll -- Please help, I have like half of this game's soundtrack stuck on loop in my head. Also - the PC port's performance was super weird. Some animations locked at 30FPS, while others were unlocked, causing quite a big disconnect across the screen. Odd stuff.

Yooka-Laylee and The Impossible Lair -- Essentially a modern DKC-style 2.5D platformer, and I absolutely loved it. The overworld and its gimmicks were well implemented, and the changing levels was a very smart way to re-use ideas and assets between levels while still making things feel fresh. I think my one and only complaint is that the artstyle feels subdued at times. Everything else? Top notch stuff.

Grow Home -- I played through most of this in 2017 and just now remembered that I could finish this up tonight. It's definitely a very intentionally janky game, interesting little concept, but I can't say I was the biggest fan.

Dec 7, 2017
Last time I managed to complete the challenge was back in 2014 on the old site and I managed to do 119~
Every year I've just never had the energy/time to complete it, so here's hoping I can do it this year!

January
1. A Hat in Time (PC) | 4th Jan - 6 Hours | 4/5

A Hat in Time is a fantastic and charming 3D Platformer, with an incredible amount of varied levels and quirky characters to interact with.
It's a culmination of games like Banjo & Kazooie, Super Mario Sunshine, Super Mario 64, Ratchet and Clank and other fantastic 3D platformers from yesteryear and puts the best of them all into one game, mixed with their own originality and fear inducing imagery for one chapter especially!

Controls are some of the best of any 3D platformer, I've ever had the pleasure to experience, being able to influence your momentum continuously, with a wide repertoire of abilities to help you with free-form expression of movement throughout the levels, it is a sublime game, that I can recommend easily for fans of the genre and those just getting into it as well.

shaneo632

Oct 29, 2017
Essex, UK
#1 - Astral Chain (Nintendo Switch). Started this in late December so a bit of a cheat, played probably the final 1/3 of it in 2020. Enjoyed the combat a lot. The plot is total anime nonsense but the combat kept me engaged for all of its 12 hours (played on casual as that was default). 8/10.

Oct 25, 2017
California
I finished a little over 100 games last year, though most of them were quite short. I'm not gonna get anywhere near that this year, and I'm not even confident that I'll reach 52, but let's get started.

1. Yakuza 0 (88 hours)
A ridiculously robust package of a game.

2. Gorogoa (1 hour)
A surreal puzzle game that still has throughlines of logic anchoring it.

3. OutRun (2+ hours)
This game is tricky, but I just completely adore it. Holds up really well for a mid-80s racing game.

Last edited:

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
2. Tron Evolution

Tie-in action game to Tron Legacy. Decent enough game, but the combat got really annoying. best played on Easy which si what I should've done to begin with XD.
Rather enjoyed the Bike sections even if they were a little annoying.

KtotheRoc

Oct 27, 2017
3: Crash Bandicoot. End: 1/4/2020. (No idea). Liked.

I picked up the Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy ages ago, and made my way through the game. Only to put it away once I hit The High Road. The game had been sitting on my metaphorical shelf for years. Until today. When I returned and beat not only The High Road, but the rest of the game. Because of this, I have no idea how many hours I spent on this first game. But I'm marking it as a game I completed in 2020.