• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Finished:

0DF5UJJ.png

[3/4/20 - 12/4/20] ~35 hours. Thoughts here. 6/10

QjYy9oJ.png

[20/3/20 - 20/5/20] ~220+ hours. 9/10

XHNHiNV.jpg

[5/5/20 - 16/5/20] ~45 hours. 10/10

ordDrQR.jpg

[9/5/20 - 9/6/20] ~2 hours. 7.5/10

4fTPoaO.jpg

[19/6/20 - 23/6/20] ~32 hours. 7.5/10

g49af6q.png

[17/6/20 - 15/8/20] ~40hrs. 7/10

7. Slay the Spire

8. Fall Guys: Ultimate Knockout (PS4) | Started 5th August. ~30hrs.

9. Astro's Playroom

10. Spider-Man: The City That Never Sleeps

11. Spider-Man: Miles Morales

12. Bugsnax

Last edited:

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Next up, Wolfenstein: Cyberpilot, which is a whole 2 hours long lmao. Should buy me 6 extra days to get through Yakuza Kiwami 2 to keep up with the "1 per week" rule.

LonestarZues

Oct 27, 2017
Master Post

Weekly update 2 - Finished another 2 games this week.

3. Hellblade - Amazing game. Puzzles kept it from being a masterpiece in my eyes. Really loved the environments, story, finding lorestones, voice acting and the music.

4. Devil May Cry - Didn't like this game. Good thing it's not that long. Enjoyed the last 1/3 of the game so I'm hopeful that carries over unto 2. Although I've heard that's the "bad" game of the series.

Currently playing:
Death Stranding - Chapter 3 about 25 hours in.
Baldur's Gate - Chapter 3.

Rirse

Jun 29, 2019
Today game is Mario Tennis for the N64.

mHUGxRf.jpg

4SFBsS0.png

This was a pretty fun game at the time, through I am pretty bad at it, losing to a easy AI. Do note that Mario Tennis game I was playing a few days ago works with this, so I was able to bring in my character from it.

FRANKEINSTEIN

Oct 27, 2017
AZ
3. Afterparty (XB1) Jan 12 5 Hrs
Real big fan of Oxenfree. So I was immediately interested in Afterparty when it was announced. Finally got around to it and overall not a fan. Voice acting was good but both protagonists were annoying. Then I really don't like what they did with the ending. Also lot of frame drops and stuttering.

sku

Feb 11, 2018
1. Disco Elysium | Jan 12 - 20hrs | 4/5
I went into this game knowing very little apart from the immense praise it's gotten. It was more like an adventure title than I'd expected, and I personally don't enjoy those too often. I thought the design and writing of this game were brilliantly done, and overall I enjoyed it for what it is, even though it's not what I typically seek out in games.

2. Halo Reach | Jan 13 - 5hrs | 3.5/5
Reach isn't the best Halo, but all Halo is good with friends. Bloom is a really bad mechanic tho.

3. A Way Out | Jan 18 - 6hrs | 4.5/5
Played this with my boyfriend on our anniversary. We both play lots of games, but not usually together. This was the perfect game to enjoy with each other. I was surprised and impressed by the unique game mechanics that cropped up throughout the game, as well as the means of storytelling. Great for 2 friends or a couple.

4. Jump King | Jan 20 - 10 hours | 4.5/5
Was surprised to find this more challenging than Getting Over It. The two games have totally different mechanics though. The challenge of this game got very addictive for me at points.

5. What Remains of Edith Finch | Feb 2nd - 2hrs | 4/5
I love it when games try their best to use gameplay mechanics to tell a story, rather then just resorting to a cutscene. Also was surprised when I started the game and found it was set in a place I spent a good deal of my childhood. Added some personal connection to the story for me.

6. Monster Hunter World: Iceborne | Feb 11 - 100 hours | 5/5
Played the base game with friends at launch on PC. Having a lot of fun with the same addictive gameplay loop again with those same friends. I think they made some essential additions to the game like the clutch claw. Going to keep playing this throughout the year as they add more monsters.

7. The Outer Worlds (PC) | 15th Feb - 19hrs | 4/5
As in New Vegas, Obsidian excels at allowing the player to play the way they want to. I really enjoyed the characters and setting. The only negative is that loot management got a bit tedious for me with this game.

8. Dreams (PS4) | 28th Feb | 16hrs | 4/5
I spent the vast majority of my time playing games and not creating them myself. I found some real gems for sure. Ball World Adventures was very addictive and well made. There are a lot of beautiful assets and scenes that people have created on the platform as well. I went through some of the tutorials on game creation on the platform, but it is complicated enough that I would prefer to learn more traditional game development. I am a programmer by profession though, so for others who don't want to pick up that skill this might make more sense.

9. NiOh (PC) | 15th Mar | 62hrs | 4.5/5
I am a huge Dark Souls fan, but this "souls-like" took me a while to get around to. First of all, the bosses and combat are excellent. Almost on the same level as FromSoftware games for me, if it weren't for the repetitive enemy types. On the other hand, this game is much colder and more detached than the FromSoft games. Its not so concerned with creating a world/lore/atmosphere. There are characters and a story, but it isn't really featured apart from cut scenes. In Dark Souls I'll stumble upon a unique item that has meaningful consequences for the lore and gameplay. In NiOh, I'll sometimes find myself with 20 copies of the same sword and the game encourages me to grind to get a copy with the best stats. For me, NiOh is a product, albeit a quality one, while Dark Souls (and its brethren) are masterpieces. It's ok that NiOh isn't a work of art, but for me it is a less meaningful experience than other games. Last note: please give players better tools for inventory management.

10. Bleeding Edge (PC) | 24th March | 5hrs | 2/5
Had a little fun with this, but I question the potential for high-level play. Interesting concept, but they should have spent more on marketing because few people seem to know about it.

11. Animal Crossing: New Horizons (Switch) | 10th April | 250hrs | 5/5
I spent countless hours on the original Animal Crossing and City Folk in my childhood. It was generally a solitary experience, as there weren't as many avenues for sharing back then. I'm not sure what it was like for those who played New Leaf and had some sort of an online experience, but for me, online made this an entirely new game. And I've loved it. I know that many are unhappy with the way the New Horizons economy has changed the game, but I've really only had pleasant experiences. I've spent a great deal of time trading with others, visiting islands and going fishing. I don't think I would have played this game nearly as many hours if it were simply the "traditional" Animal Crossing experience from my childhood. One island I visited had set up a pretty entertaining murder mystery puzzle for visitors to solve. This game has become so much more than its original concept.

12. Baba is You (Switch) | 12th April | 8.5hrs | 4.5/5
Some puzzles might click for the player immediately, and others might seem insurmountable. This game is a real challenge because the rules are always changing and it is tough to nail down the core design patterns that you need to learn to improve at solving the puzzles.

13. Valorant (PC) | 14th April | 100hrs | 5/5
I started playing day 1 of the beta and basically spent 90% of my time with Cypher from then on. Lots of creative abilities in this game. Not sure if I will play this consistently from now on, but I hope it ends up having a lively competitive scene because I would love to watch tournaments.

14. VA-11 Hall-A: Cyberpunk Bartender Action (PC) | 21st April | 10.5hrs | 4/5
Fun characters and setting. Lovely artwork.

15. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (PC) | 9th May | 32hrs | 5/5
This was my second play-through of this game. My first was on PS4 at launch. I loved it even more than last time. I definitely see myself 100%-ing this one. The combat is so satisfying. Another god-tier game from FromSoft.

16. King's Field (PS1) | 16th May | 9hrs | 4.5/5
This is the real first King's Field game, which was only released in Japan. When I started this up and played through the first area, I wasn't sure if I could stomach those graphics for the whole game. The FromSoft formula of complex, labyrinthian level design is there, but there are few elements that distinguish one corridor from the next. Supposedly some of the really basic textures on the walls are supposed to emulate trees?? I'm too spoiled by modern graphics to be able to imagine that. Despite all that, I was in awe of the number of design elements that this has in common with the Souls games: the scattered bits of lore, backtracking, methodical combat, locked doors, invisible bridges, illusory walls, the Moonlight (Great)Sword, a homeward-bone-like item. Discovering these commonalities made me feel warm. I never knew that FromSoftware had paid such homages to its original games in Demon's Souls and onward. There is so much history in FromSoftware.

17. Borderlands 3 (PC) | 12th June | 38hrs | 2.5/5
Over the past couple years, I've played all of the past Borderlands games with the same group of 3 friends. We've done multiple playthroughs at that, having gone up to the OP-levels in Borderlands 2. I say this because we might have expected to play this game many times over as well. The gunplay is significantly improved from the previous games. It really feels great. Unfortunately, our first playthrough of the main story was such a drag that none of us want to continue. The biggest problem is the game is too easy. Powerful legendaries are handed out like candy. In any other borderlands game I would regularly swap out weapons as we completed quests and got new loot. In this game, I got one overpowered gun and it carried me through 75% of the game. All of the bosses melted within seconds. This is on "normal" difficulty, which is the highest difficulty that you are allowed to select on a 1st playthrough. The story is also mediocre and the characters are less entertaining than past games. Maybe the game provides a decent challenge and reward later on, but at the moment I'm not sure if I'll return to find out.

18. TLOU2 (PS4) | 21st June | 24hrs | 5/5
Incredible. I purposefully went into this game with zero expectations and came out astonished by the experience. The characters and details in this world are expertly crafted. In my mind, there is no other narrative experience in video games that rivals this one. I love TLOU because it made me fall in love with Joel and Ellie. I love TLOU2 because it made me feel much more than love. A video game has never made me feel pity, conflict, and emptiness as this one has. And this story is not simply relegated to the cut scenes as so many stories are. Letters, journal entries, the environment, and real-time character interactions allow you to experience the story as well. Personally, I also had a lot of fun with the combat and it never got old for me.

19. Desperados 3 (PC) | 26th June | 39hrs | 5/5
A joy to play. You have to keep track of a lot of enemies at one time, and the clean interface and smooth controls do a lot to make that a pleasant experience. Clever level designs and character mechanics.

20. Halo 3 (PC) | 15th July | 30hrs | 4/5
Good old times with friends thanks to the MCC on Steam.

21. Ghost of Tsushima (PS4) | 21st July | 50hrs | 4.5/5
As with most games, I purposefully ignored most of the marketing/reveals for this game. So, when I started playing and found that this game is highly similar to the Assassin's Creed games (which I dislike), I was a bit disheartened. I'm glad I continued playing because it ended up being much more than that. The combat is fun enough to carry this game alone, but the story is also a worthwhile emotional journey. My main criticism is that there isn't much to discover about Tsushima and its inhabitants (apart from the main cast), which I think is an essential part of an open world game. I have lots of beautiful screenshots of the island, but my desire to simply explore the island was squashed early on when I discovered I wouldn't be rewarded with lore or secrets, only collectibles and cosmetics. The reason I rate the game as high as I did is because I found what was fun for me and focused exclusively on those quests/tasks after my initial few hours of the game. There is a lot of unfulfilling busy-work in this game that I chose to ignore, and I wonder if the hours spent on that content could have been spent on something more worthwhile.

22. Dead by Daylight (PC) | 24th July | 400hrs | 5/5
I've been wanting to play this game for a long time and I finally got around to it with my friends. We're having a lot of fun queuing as a group of 4 survivors and learning about the MANY mechanics this game has going on. I also have a soft spot for horror games and movies.

23. SPOOKWARE (PC) | 24th July | .5hrs | 5/5
The concept is a horror-themed Wario-ware clone. I was speechless when I found this on itch.io. Someone made the thing I never knew I needed. I miss playing Wario-ware, and this filled that void. But it scratched the horror itch too? Genius. The game is made by papercookies, and I encourage you to check out this and all of his other great games on itch.io.

24. Fall Guys (PS4) | 10th August | 5hrs | 3/5
Cute but I personally don't get much out of it. Bad netcode and what's the point of pvp if so much is up to chance. Liked the racing modes though.

25. A Hat In Time (PC) | 24th August | 11hrs | 3.5/5
I played the base game and both of the DLCs. Lots of mixed feelings because on one hand it's very charming and has some great moments, but on the other it is lacking a good deal of polish years after release. The controls aren't always great and there are still some frustrating bugs. Also certain visual quirks give away that this is definitely an indie title. Someone on the team needs to learn what kerning is.

26. Spellbreaker (PC) | 6th September | 10hrs | 4/5
Pretty fun and creative combat that is held back by the usual problem with battle royale games: too much downtime in between the action. The synergies between spells, sorceries, and runes are inventive and allow for creative play, which makes the time spent worthwhile. I hear they are considering modes other than battle royale and I would be really interested in those.

27. Spinch (PC) | 6th September | 5.5hrs | 4/5
Challenging gameplay and vibrant visuals. I like the mechanic of collecting "babies" throughout the levels which are used in ammo in the bossfights. Some of the levels/bosses are severely punishing, which is enjoyable in some cases and tedious in others. The levels were pretty creative and the bosses were less so.

28. Among Us (PC) | 10th September | 15 hrs | 3/5
I had fun while playing this, but being with a group of 10 friends in discord is fun no matter what you're doing. I think it's a good party game for a group of friends, but it's not deep enough to interest me past a few hours. One of the primary elements of "gameplay" is convincing your friends of your/another's innocence/guilt, so the quality of your experience is largely determined by factors outside of the game's control.

29. Yakuza 0 | 20th September | 50 hrs | 4/5
I had watched a playthrough of Yakuza 4 at one point, but this was my first time playing a Yakuza game myself. I love minigames in general and all of the side content in this game is so fun. The variety is great, and it's something I wish more games would offer.

30. Pathologic 2 | 5th October | 34 hrs | 5/5
This game didn't really click with me until about the 4th in-game day, but in hindsight even the previous 3 days of the game were a brilliant setup for everything that comes after. I hope to play again at some point with a new perspective. This game is also one of the most brutal games I've ever played in terms of what it requires from the player. It's meant to be stressful, and the hardest difficulty (which the developers tell you is the intended difficulty) certainly achieves that. I love games that seek to meld storytelling and gameplay rather than resort to lazy cutscenes. More games should strive for that goal.

31. Ghost of Tsushima: Legends | 17th October | 15 hrs | 4.5/5
I can't think of another example of DLC that has gone above and beyond players expectations to this degree. Otherwise, I probably wouldn't have included this as a separate entry in this list. The new game modes are a really creative expansion of the base gameplay. I'm also glad they included online matchmaking because it's hard to find friends who've also played the base game.

32. Dread X Collection 3 | 29th October | 2 hrs | 4/5
The Dread X Collection series are collections of horror games made by small developers within the span of 10 days. The games within each collection stand on their own, but there is also a "meta-game" to tie them together. In this version, that consists of walking around a castle to unlock the games. I didn't actually play that mode, opting instead for the free-play mode which would allow me to choose which game I wanted to play at will. And I mainly bought this so I could play the sequel to SPOOKWARE, and that sequel did live up to its predecessor. I tried some of the other games included as well, and appreciated the demonic Blues Clues clone, Chip's Tips. Overall, great pre-Halloween fare, and a great way to support smaller developers.

33. Risk of Rain 2 (PC) | 5th November | 10hrs | 4/5
I played with my friends until we beat the final boss once and then we did some attempts on the harder difficulty with other characters. In total I only played two of the character options and there are probably many items that I have tried out or explored the full depth of yet, so it seems that the game has lots of replayability. Personally I'm not one to play roguelikes many times after I beat it once, but if I wanted to I think there is enough content to make it fun and interesting.

34. Little Hope (PS4) | 8th November | 5hrs | 2.5/5
This is definitely the weakest of the interactive drama games by Supermassive Games, but I still had a good time playing it with my fiancee. The narrative is a bit poor this time around, and the story beats felt very repetitive compared to those of The Man of Medan or Until Dawn. The characters were also less interesting. There is a twist at the end that essentially renders the rest of the story meaningless. (I learned from my teachers back in 6th grade not to write endings like that, so why did they?!) I appreciate the setting, though, since it was clearly a nod to Silent Hill.

35. Ghostrunner (PC) | 11th November | 8hrs | 4.5/5
This game was so much fun and I definitely hope to do more playthroughs sometime soon. There were a couple times where the platforming was finicky/frustrating, so hopefully they can iron that out in a patch. The story was also engaging enough. At times it felt like Furi in 3D, and I think this game took some inspiration there. Exhilarating!

36. Astro's Playroom (PS5) | 12th November | 6hrs | 4.5/5
A great way to show off the DualSense's features and a nice nostalgia trip through playstation history. Loved the idea behind making each level a part of the console. Lots of variety and fun.

37. Demon's Souls (PS5) | 18th November | 120hrs | 5/5
As someone who played the original and was skeptical of the remake, this exceeded my hopes for the game. Everything feels and looks so clean. The load times are an absolute dream. I've already completed 3 playthroughs, with lots of time spent messing around in PvP in each one of them, and I plan to do many more. Bluepoint did a great job of handling this remake delicately and with care, and I think their artistic licenses enhanced the experience more than they detracted. Still a bit disappointed in the visual change to the Fat Officials, as the original designs were much more creepy and interesting, but that's honestly my biggest complaint haha.

38. Bugsnax (PS5) | 20th November | 7hrs | 5/5
The writing in this game really took me by surprise, and I left having really enjoyed my time with all of the characters. I appreciate that the developers were not scared to represent gay/lesbian relationships and that they were in the forefront of the game.

39. Divinity Original Sin 2 (PC) | 22nd November | 110hrs | 4/5
A true RPG experience. The plot and dialogue got a bit repetitive sometimes, but overall it was a great adventure. I did have some frustrations with the experience, though, since only 1 person in a party can hold onto the save file. I can't think of how you'd get around that but it would at least be nice to own my character and it's progression.

40. Hyrule Warriors (Switch) | 24th November | 22hrs | 4/5
Great variety of combat and a nice reminder of all of the fun I had with Breath of the Wild. Really enjoyed playing as the different characters!

41. Halo 3: ODST (PC) | 25th November | 7hrs | 3/5
Doesn't really feel like Halo to me, closer to COD, but I guess that's the intent. Decent enough campaign though.

42. HyperDot (PC) | 26th November | 3hrs | 4/5
Fun little bullet-hell type game. Not the hardest I've played, but it had its challenging moments.

43. Hades (PC) | 6th December | 10hrs | 4/5
Great art and overall polish in this game. My mileage varies with roguelikes, and with this one I enjoyed the core gameplay loop more than most, but it started to feel stale after only 6 or so hours. That's mostly due to the lack of variety in enemies.They should either improve that or tune the game to speed up player progression a bit more. The idea of going into a run with the plan to get just a handful more gems to upgrade in the mirror wasn't so enticing with how repetitive the runs got. I also felt like the runs were too heavily RNG-based (of course they are going to be to at least a degree), as some runs were much easier with certain combinations of Gods' perks. Sometimes if I got a 'bad' perk from the outset I felt like restarting from the outset. With those criticisms in mind, I don't really get the massive hype around this game, but I do think it's a solid title overall.

44. DOOM Eternal (PC) | 7th December | 13hrs | 5/5
Having played DOOM (2016), which was fun enough but grew stale, I didn't expect this game to completely knock the ball out of the park like it did. Now I can't believe I waited as long as I did to play this. Everything is so satisfying, and the game really keeps you on your toes. The different strategies required to take on different enemies is what makes this game for me. Also, the audio design and soundtrack cannot be beat -- I'm disappointed those weren't rewarded at the Game Awards.

45. Cyberpunk 2077 (PC) | 14 December | 37hrs | 2.5/5
Yikes. I wasn't overly hype for this game to begin with, but shame on CDPR for straight-up lying to their fans about what this game would be. This was marketed as a generation-defining RPG, but this doesn't even pass as an RPG at all. What shooter doesn't have a half-baked skill tree these days? The difference is those shooters don't call themselves RPGs. This game is actually better classified as an Action-Adventure. The false marketing about this game aside, the experience that is delivered ranges from poor to mediocre. The open world, while a sight to behold, is hardly interactive, and is littered with meaningless busywork in the same way as every Assassin's Creed or Far Cry game. There are also massive problems with the combat: the AI is dumb as rocks, the cover-system works about 50% of the time, and there is almost no noticeable difference between the guns within each type (ie. all revolvers feel the same). The skill tree is uninspired and provides no meaningful changes to gameplay. The cyberware is also very limited and it takes many boring sidequests to accrue enough money to really interact with that system. The hacking was also a very shallow mechanic that often felt purposeless as you might as well just shoot an enemy in the time that it takes to quickhack them. The only saving graces of this game are the visual style and the story, though the amount of choice the player has in directing that narrative is severly and unfortunately limited. It's a very nice movie, but movies aren't what we're here for.

46. The Call of The Sea (PC) | 19 December | 10hrs | 3.5/5
A nice little puzzle adventure game. With the high praise I'd heard about it I was expecting something a bit more groundbreaking, but there were some very nice puzzles. Some puzzles seemed low-effort, though. Player character's voice actor wasn't very convincing to me either. Gorgeous visuals.

47. Haven (PS5) | 21 December | 10hrs | 5/5
I wouldn't expect this to get such high scores from everyone, but I had such a wonderful time playing this with my significant other. I'm not usually one to enjoy games that are this simple or easy, but I had a great time drifting peacefully around the islands. We also became invested in the characters and their love story. The co-op combat was just interesting enough to not get repetitive, and I appreciate the synergy between players that it requires.

48. Christmas Carol (PC) | 24 December | 1.5hrs | 2.5/5
I was seeking out some quaint Christmas vibes and stumbled upon this wintry hidden-object game. I fondly remember playing through the Eye Spy books as a kid and so I was hoping this would be akin to that. Those books are probably easier than I remember, and this game was also very easy. I was hoping for something a bit more challenging, but at least it delivered some Christmas feelings.

49. Bad North (PC) | 24 December | 5hrs | 4/5
This game can be quite the challenge. I feel like it's a bit too easy to find yourself stuck in this game, though, with no option but to restart. I guess that's ok, but I don't think multiple runs of this game would be very interesting. Instead, when I hit brick walls, I proceeded to simply smash my head against those walls until I was able to perfectly execute a level. In some games that kind of persistence is rewarding, but not as much with this game. This game definitely scratched the tactical strategy itch for me nonetheless.

50. Caverns of the Snow Witch (PC) | 24 December | 1.5hrs | 2.5/5
Another quick winter-themed game that I though would fit the seasonal mood. This is a digital version of one of the Fighting Fantasy books with integrated dice and a few optional modes. I've been interested in the series since I heard Hidetaka Miyazaki of From Software was greatly inspired by the series. Having gone through this game book, I definitely see the inspiration in the world design and hidden lore. As a game, it leans a bit too heavily on RNG for my tastes, though.

51. Outer Wilds (PC) | 27 December | 15hrs | 5/5
I've long heard the innumerable praise this game has received, but without knowing much about it I kept relegating it to the backlog. Now I can't believe I let it lie for this long. This game is a real treasure and delivers on all of its very high ambitions. My mind is blown by all of the systems in this universe working together seemlessly. I'm glad I went into this game completely blind and you should too if you haven't experienced it yet.

52. Pikuniku (PC) | 28 December | 3hrs | 3/5
A cute little puzzle platformer with heavy Paper Mario vibes. The mechanics aren't really good enough for some of the more challenging platforming trials in my opinion, and I think some of the puzzles I encountered were broken. I enjoyed the humor and charm of this game though.

1. Disco Elysium (PC) | 12th Jan - 20hrs | 4/5
2. Halo Reach (PC) | 13th Jan - 5hrs | 3.5/5
3. A Way Out (PS4) | 18th Jan - 6hrs | 4.5/5
4. Jump King | 20th Jan - 10hrs | 4.5/5
5. What Remains of Edith Finch (PC) | 2nd Feb - 2hrs | 4/5
6. Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PC) | 11th Feb - 100hrs | 5/5
7. The Outer Worlds (PC) | 15th Feb - 19hrs | 4/5
8. Dreams (PS4) | 28th Feb - 16hrs | 4/5
9. NiOh (PC) | 15th Mar - 62hrs | 4.5/5
10. Bleeding Edge (PC) | 24th March - 5hrs | 2/5
11. Animal Crossing (Switch) | 10th April - 250hrs | 5/5
12. Baba is You (Switch) | 12th April - 8.5hrs | 4.5/5
13. Valorant (PC) | 14th April - 100hrs | 5/5
14. VA-11 Hall-A: Cyberpunk Bartender Action (PC) | 21st April - 10.5hrs | 4/5
15. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (PC) | 9th May - 32hrs | 5/5
16. King's Field (PS1) | 16th May - 9hrs | 4.5/5
17. Borderlands 3 (PC) | 12th June - 38hrs | 2.5/5
18. TLOU2 (PS4) | 21st June - 24hrs | 5/5
19. Desperados 3 (PC) | 26th June - 39hrs | 5/5
20. Halo 3 (PC) | 15th July - 30hrs | 4/5
21. Ghost of Tsushima (PS4) | 21st July - 50hrs | 4.5/5
22. Dead by Daylight (PC) | 24th July - 150hrs | 5/5
23. Spookware (PC) | 24th July - 0.5hrs | 5/5
24. Fall Guys (PS4) | 10th August - 5hrs | 3/5
25. A Hat In Time (PC) | 24th August - 11hrs | 3.5/5
26. Spellbreaker (PC) | 6th September - 10hrs | 4/5
27. Spinch (PC) | 6th September - 5.5hrs | 4/5
28. Among Us (PC) | 10th September - 15hrs | 3/5
29. Yakuza 0 (PC) | 20th September - 50hrs | 4/5
30. Pathologic 2 (PC) | 5th October - 34hrs | 5/5
31. Ghost of Tsushima: Legends (PS4) | 17th October - 15hrs | 4.5/5
32. Dread X Collection 3 (PC) | 29th October - 2hrs | 4/5
33. Risk of Rain 2 (PC) | 5th November - 10hrs | 4/5
34. Little Hope (PS4) | 8th November - 5hrs | 3/5
35. Ghostrunner (PC) | 11th November - 8hrs | 4.5/5
36. Astro's Playroom (PS5) | 12th November - 6hrs | 4.5/5
37. Demon's Souls (PS5) | 18th November - 120hrs | 5/5
38. Bugsnax (PS5) | 20th November - 7hrs | 5/5
39. Divinity Original Sin 2 (PC) | 22nd November - 110hrs | 4/5
40. Hyrule Warriors (Switch) | 24th November - 22hrs | 4/5
41. Halo 3: ODST (PC) | 25th November - 7hrs | 3/5
42. HyperDot (PC) | 26th November - 3hrs | 4/5
43. Hades (PC) | 6th December - 10hrs | 4/5
44. DOOM Eternal (PC) | 7th December - 13hrs | 5/5
45. Cyberpunk 2077 (PC) | 14 December - 37hrs | 3/5
46. The Call of The Sea (PC) | 19 December - 10hrs | 3.5/5
47. Haven (PS5) | 21 December - 10hrs | 5/5
48. Christmas Carol (PC) | 24 December - 1.5hrs | 2.5/5
49. Bad North (PC) | 24 December - 5hrs | 4/5
50. Caverns of the Snow Witch (PC) | 24 December - 1.5hrs | 2.5/5
51. Outer Wilds (PC) | 27 December - 15hrs | 5/5
52. Pikuniku (PC) | 28 December - 3hrs | 3/5

Last edited:

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
4. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

Decent enough FPS, don't think I'd ever revisit it. Has that cinematic story feel like Uncharted series but gameplay wise...didn't feel it much at least in its campaign mode.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
3. Pistol Whip (Rift S) - 53 minutes to clear all 11 levels according to Steam. Really fun John Wick-on-acid VR shooter. Not too challenging but a solid workout. Could grind this out at higher difficulties but happy to move on for now I think, a nice easy entry into my 52 are two 15-ish hour games to start. 7/10

King Szmaragd

Jan 28, 2019
I don't expect to achieve anything even close to 52 games, since my work routine is very tough. However, I expect, at least, playing more games than I've done in 2018 and in 2019, which must have been about 10 or 12 games in each year. I'm in the 2nd game so far and I will soon edit this post in order to list the games and, maybe, to write brief reviews about it.

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017
..::|[INDEX]|::..

01. Bomb Chicken (PC, 2020/01/13, 7.8 hrs)

The player is a bomb laying chicken, stacks of bombs scale heights, kill baddies, destroy obstacles and if not careful ... also yourself. Its sprite work is really something, totally up there with the best. I had the biggest TAITO grin on my face while playing this puzzle platformer.

02. Steel Empire (PC, 2020/01/15, 2.1 hrs, Easy 1CC, Normal 1CC)

Somehow I completely missed the MegaDrive version back in its day. Played and liked the PC release and now I learned it's the port of a remake from GBA/3DS. This SHMUP is very traditional and classic. Its difficulty level more on the recreational side. The steampunk theme is depicted in 2D pixel and parallax scrolling backgrounds. I had a lot of fun clearing this game, but there are a few minor annoyances with this port. The scrolling isn't as smooth as the GBA/3DS versions and letting the game handle fullscreen introduce weird scaling artifacts. Windowed and the Lossless Scaling util solved that later problem tho. Time to hunt for a GBA or 3DS copy.

03. Snakeybus (PC, 2020/01/24, 1.2 hrs, 100%)

04. Sonic Lost World (PC, 2020/02/15, 8.8 hrs)

05. Dezatopia (PC, 2020/02/15, 1.9 hrs, Route A clear)

06. The Room Three (PC, 2020/03/11, 5.9 hrs)

07. Whip! Whip! (PC, 2020/03/30, 2 hrs)

08. Besiege (PC, 2020/04/03, 19.4 hrs)

09. A Short Hike (PC, 2020/04/07, 1.4 hrs)

10. Steel Vampire (PC, 2020/04/11, 1st clear 1.6 hrs, 1CC 4.1hrs)

11. Yoku's Island Express (PC, 2020/04/14, 7 hrs)

12. RESIDENT EVIL 2 / BIOHAZARD RE:2 (PC, 2020/04/15, 2nd run, Claire, 10 hrs)

13. Under What? (PC, 2020/04/16, 6 mins)

14. You Must Build A Boat (PC, 2020/04/17, 8h24m to flight)

15. Mario Galaxy (Wii/Dolphin, 2020/05/13, 16 hrs)

16. Super Hydorah (PC, 2020/05/17, 3.5 hrs 1st clear, bad ending, 6.7 hrs 1CC)

17. Delores: A Thimbleweed Park Mini-Adventure (PC, 2020/05/21, 2.8 hrs)

18. Stronghold HD (PC, 2020/05/30, 36 hrs)

19. Heat Signature (PC, 2020/06/10, 26 hrs)

[index]

Last edited:

robesgruyere

One Winged Slayer
Jul 14, 2018

Ratings
★ - Trash, or Shovelware; no redeeming factors
★★ - Bad; but has some redeeming factors
★★★ - Good; not bad, but not great
★★★★ - Great; has minor flaws, but is a clear recommendation
★★★★★ - Excellent; a definite recommendation, minor flaws are little enough to look past

Note: An Xbox icon denotes Xbox Game Pass PC.

tddZzXq.png
eI09YqU.png
vsM8yo6.png
LiAzbZy.png
VdGLNVP.png
GFwJT2T.png
ZCbt5Gu.png
hanJrf4.png
mWkaTqN.png
aGO7ASh.png

lEcIv3r.png

Last edited:

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
4. The Curious Tale of the Stolen Pets (Rift S) - A really cute and fun little puzzle game. Only about 75 minutes long but an enjoyable little romp. 7/10

Bosh

Oct 26, 2017

#8: Sniper Elite: Nazi Zombie Army 2 (1/13/2020) | 7/10 | PS4 | ~ 4Hours | Recommend: Y
# Overall - 7 | Fun game to play with friends but no big difference from the first game
Gameplay - 7.4| Shooting still feels great while movement is slugish. Levels are still good, although difficulty seemed toned down
Sound -7 | Its so loud. Screams and yelling.
Story/Online -7 | Single player missions follow same structure of move forward, survive a few waves. Annoying lack of checkpoints still.
Asking Price- 7.33| Some replay value. The strategy can be interesting on how to get through levels.

Rirse

Jun 29, 2019
Today game is Kirby in Nightmare in Dreamland.

Xux7MX9.jpg

k9u2cD1.jpg

Rather excellent remake of the NES Kirby Adventure, I honestly never finish either one. I should try to do this year for one of my proper 52 games this year.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
4. Paper Mario - 14/01/2020

A lovely gem that hasn't aged a day since its release and unarguably the best looking game on the N64 (on top of being one of maybe a dozen games on the system that still holds up).

Last edited:

oggob

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney, Australia
15/01/20 - First Completion for the year!

S351469.png

WRC 5 : World Rally Championship (Vita | ~20hrs | Trophies - 100%) - The Vita version was the last in the series on the device, seeing this against the PS4 version is just horrible, there are very little environmental aspects to the game, just barren geography.

This was also my 120th Platinum!

TheOneJat

Oct 1, 2018
Master Post

Lego Lord of the Rings completed for 7/52. Main post edited.

One of my fav Lego games by far. Again, so much content packed into these that offers hours of fun.

Rirse

Jun 29, 2019
Today game is the original Devil May Cry due to the rumors of the fifth Smash DLC.

IjUfLf9.jpg

lR2vjws.jpg

I never beat it and want to try to beat it finally using the PS4 remaster. I always end up quitting shortly after the above boss in the picture for some reason.

TheOneJat

Oct 1, 2018
Today game is the original Devil May Cry due to the rumors of the fifth Smash DLC.

I never beat it and want to try to beat it finally using the PS4 remaster. I always end up quitting shortly after the above boss in the picture for some reason.

I'd really love to get round to the original trilogy sometime myself. Not touched them for years.

MsMuerta

Nov 8, 2017
7. Baba is you completed! Well, until I said enough is enough. I can get almost too invested in puzzle games so I feel like I had a good run and I finished almost all levels so there's that. 8.5/10

Next stop: the Devil May Cry games! If Dante is coming to Smash I need to have some extensive knowledge on him. Plus, I love Bayonetta so I'm sure I'll love these games.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
5. SaGa Scarlet Grace
saga-scarlet-grace-ambitions-no-logo.jpg

This was a nice RPG, that while budgeted due to being a mobile game, still managed to deliver a nice combat system and a really engaging story.
The game consists of 4 scenarios telling and following the stories of each of the 4 protagonists who their own motivations that eventually lead to them battling against a common enemy.
This isn't a game I would suggest playing each scenario back to back as it can burn one out. Though generally I would recommend Bal as the best go to for a Normal difficulty playthrough.

Oct 27, 2017
Main Post

Off to the races!

1. Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island - SNES
Completed 1/2/20
Score - 8/10

Tried to fit this into last years but couldn't complete it in time. There is a lot I like about this game and some that felt like a chore. It's definitely a lot harder than I remember it being, especially when compared to Yoshi's Wooly World which I played recently. It's definitely a slower game than Super Mario World and it rewards exploration which is nice. I know they dropped the SMW name on re-releases and I guess it makes sense. Hard for me to separate it since I grew up with it. My favorite thing about the game is the bosses. I wish other Mario game would look back at the uniqueness of the boss fights and try to incorporate them into other games. My biggest issue with New 2D Mario games are the same boss fights since back in SMB 3. Super Mario Odyssey, which I loved, had some lame boss fights. Anyway, this is still a great game but it's best to forget that it's a sequel to SMW and just the beginning of Yoshi.

Yoshi%27s_Island_%28Super_Mario_World_2%29_box_art.jpg

2. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IV: Turtles in Time - SNES
Completed 1/3/20
Score - 8/10

Finished the original NES trilogy last year and my 3 year old is really into Turtles. This game holds up really well and the changes made from the arcade version help make it it's own game. I did find it much easier than any of the NES games. Graphics still look great and the music is fantastic. Too bad they couldn't find a way to get that Arcade 'Pizza Power' song into the cart.

Turtles_in_Time_%28SNES_cover%29.jpg

3. Untitled Goose Game - Switch
Completed 1/4/20
Score - 7/10

I enjoyed this but not as much as everyone else. I followed the hype train and purchased this when it was released. It's a really short game and fairly basic. I was stuck a few times early on but eventually got the hang of what I would need to do. I found the ending to be comical but overall felt pretty meh on this.Not bad but maybe just not for me.

190830161429-untitled-goose-game-large-169.jpg

4. Moss - PSVR
Completed 1/10/20
Score - 9/10

I don't know why I stopped touching my VR games...well maybe it's the setup and the no-HDR when it's plugged into my PS. Anyway, I wanted to get back into VR this year and prepare for Alyx. I went back to Moss which I started and just stopped playing. This game is incredible. I love everything about it except for the length. I spent about 3-4 hours in it and even completed the DLC. I want more and I have no idea when I will get more. The graphics, detail and fun of the entire game is great. If you have VR you gotta try this game.

moss-header.jpg

5. Half-Life: Blue Shift - PC
Completed 1/14/20
Score - 8/10

Finally tackled the last expansion to the OG Half-Life. I never touched these on release and I think that was a mistake. While not as amazing as the original, this was a great side story companion piece to the game. This one was much shorter than Opposing Force but it still felt right. I actually got stuck on a puzzle later in the game which is something the original and OF didn't do. Like OF, if you like OG Half-Life, this is worth a play. Soon I will be back in my favorite game Half-Life 2! The road to Alyx continues!

header.jpg

FRANKEINSTEIN

Oct 27, 2017
AZ
SQ_NSwitchDS_Guacamelee2.jpg

4. Guacamelee 2 (XB1) Jan 15 8.5 Hrs ★★★★★
Well maybe, maybe not as good as the original but if not, pretty damn close. I love this series and hopefully we get another next gen.

Deleted member 179

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Alright I guess I'm in. Need to actually finish shit this year, here's to hoping I can make it happen!

2/52

1. Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order (PS4) | 3rd Jan | 4/5
2. Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc (PC) | 13th Jan - 28hrs | 4/5

1. Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order - 2019 (PS4)
35d823b496846c48c1d98c954aeb0964.png

Finished at the beginning of 2020, I also call it my game of the year for 2019. After a long rut of not really enjoying games, this was able to pull me out of it and get me playing again. I'd argue it does Star Wars better than the sequel movies. The gameplay, despite being Dark Souls-lite, is fun and entertaining. I enjoyed the story of Cal and watching him grow as a character, and I'm excited to see where it goes next.
4/5

2. Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc - 2010 (PC)
danganronpa-steam-banner.jpg

A VERY pleasant surprise. After Fallen Order I wanted to play a visual novel on my laptop and came upon this. The story is nuts, the characters are lovable and it really effects you if someone dies that you enjoyed, especially after building your relationship with them. The twists and turns are fantastic and I'm very excited to see where the series goes next. It got me to buy 2 right away! I'll be completing school mode on it and possibly getting all the Steam achievements before my next game, because I want to hang out with these characters a little longer.
4/5

Possibly next:
Resident Evil - 2002 (PS4)
Resident Evil 2 - 2019 (PS4)
Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair - 2012 (PC)
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - 2015 (PC)
Monster Hunter World: Iceborne - 2019 (PS4)

Rirse

Jun 29, 2019
Today game is Driver: San Francisco.

E1n21rm.jpg

xF8EFb7.jpg

Such a bizzare game where you hop bodies to complete your objectives. Need to finish this game sometime.

Also I finished Pokemon Sword today, number 1 of 52 games to actually beat this year.

Last edited:

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Master Post

Update #001

Just finished a couple of shorter games before Kakarot comes out tomorrow:

04. A Short Hike | PC | Completed 14/01/2020 | ★★★

I got about forty five minutes to an hour in poking around at all of the stuff to do before I was like "fuck it, I'm just gonna get to the top of this mountain". This was on a lot of people's best of lists last year and I get it, I just wasn't really in the mood to wring as much out of it as I probably should. I love the art style and it controls really well and is tonally extremely chill, but it didn't really stick with me the way it did with others.

05. Katana ZERO | PC | Completed 16/01/2020 | ★★★★

I
*Ioved* this game. The only thing I really knew about it before I played it was that it was a side-scrolling action game and that it was really good. I didn't know anything about the mechanics, which were really fun, and I definitely had no idea there was such a strong emphasis on story. The way the story was presented was just... it's so good. This game is so good. On it's face it just seems like a cyberpunk ninja game or whatever but I really enjoyed the world building and just the shitty, awful characters that were juxtaposed with the sweetest relationship development with a kid in your apartment building. I can't say enough good things about this game, it's very, very good.

Last edited:

TheOneJat

Oct 1, 2018
Master Post edited.

Steamworld Dig completed for 8/52.

Only took me just under 4 hours to complete this. Absolute little gem of a game. Addictive currency-collecting and not overly difficult. Recommended. 4/5.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
6. Saint's Row: The Third
E55472970C12C402A52318061F608D867BF910E5

Beat it co-op with a friend, was an OK experience I guess, but the fun came from us bickering and shooting each other up. The game has some nice humor and charm though I feel the gameplay could've been more 'tighter'.

Rirse

Jun 29, 2019
Today game is Parasite Eve, which is looking to be the second game completed this year.

QAryfHF.jpg

vDWUQ9Z.jpg

I am actually near the end of this game, only stopping due to dying after killing a boss due to a not clear way to leave the zone before a jet hit you.

bloodgate

Dec 18, 2019
Iowa
I saw the 2019 post and wanted to do this this year. I love this idea!

1. The Messenger (PS4) | 1st Jan | 4/5
  2. blasphemous (PS4) | 1st Jan | 4.5/5
  3. Salt and Sanctuary (PS4) | 8th Jan | 4.5/5
  4. Valfaris (PS4) | 11th Jan | 3.5/5
  5. Detroit: Become Human (PS4) | 15th Jan | 3/5
  6. Monster Hunter World (PS4) | 18th Jan | 4.5/5
  7. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (Switch) | 26th Jan | 5/5
  8. Baba is You (Switch) | 1st Feb | 5/5
  9. The Surge 2 (PS4) | 1st Feb | 3.5/5
  10. The Outer Worlds (PS4) | 8th Feb | 4/5
  11. Dragon Warrior III (NES) | 9th Feb | 4/5
  12. Dragon Warrior IV (NES) | 16th Feb | 5/5
  13. Dragon Quest V (SNES) | 23rd Feb | 5/5
  14. Crystalis (NES) | 1st Mar | 4/5
  15. Shadow of the Colossus (PS4) | 3rd Mar | 5/5
  16. Super Metroid (Switch) | 8th Mar | 5/5
  17. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Switch) | 25th Mar | 5/5
  18. Mario Tennis Aces (Switch) | 26th Mar | 2.5/5
  19. Nioh 2 (PS4) | 31st Mar | 5/5
  20. Axiom Verge (PS4) | 2nd Apr | 4/5
  21. God of War (PS4) | 3rd Apr | 3.5/5
  22. Hollow Knight (PS4) | 10th Apr | 5/5
  23. Metal Slug 2 (PS4) | 11th Apr | 2.5/5
  24. Murdered: Soul Suspect (PS4) | 12th Apr | 2/5
  25. Nier: Automata (PS4) | 16th Apr | 4/5
  26. The Talos Principle (PS4) | 18th Apr | 3.5/5
  27. Days Gone (PS4) | 26th Apr | 3.5/5
  28. Celeste (Switch) | 30th Apr | 5/5
  29. Journey (PS4) | 2nd May | 1.5/5
  30. Telling Lies (PS4) | 7th May | 3.5/5
  31. A Plague Tale: Innocence (PS4) | 4th June | 3.5/5
  32. Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice (PS4) | 29th June | 3.5/5
  33. Wonder Boy in Monster World (Genesis) | 1st July | 4.5/5
  34. Shining in the Darkness (Genesis) | 5th July | 4.5/5
  35. Shining Force II (Genesis) | 21st July | 4/5
  36. Chasm (PS4) | 26th July | 4/5
  37. Tangledeep (PC) | 1st Aug | 3/5
  38. Neon Chrome (PS4) | 4th Aug | 3/5
  39. Remnant: From the Ashes (PS4) | 11th Aug | 4/5
  40. Mortal Shell (PS4) | 22nd Aug | 3/5
  41. Death Stranding (PS4) | 28th Aug | 4/5
  42. Control (PS4) | 30th Aug | 4.5/5
  43. CrossCode (PS4) | 13th Sept | 4/5
  44. Slain! Back From Hell (PS4) | 13th Sept | 2.5/5
  45. Resident Evil HD Remaster (PS4) | 23rd Sept | 4.5/5
  46. Resident Evil 2 (PS4) | 29th Sept | 5/5
  47. Resident Evil 3 (PS4) | 5th Oct | 4.5/5
  48. Resident Evil 0 (PS4) | 16th Oct | 3/5
  49. Resident Evil 4 (PS4) | 24th Oct | 5/5
  50. The Mummy Demastered (PS4) | 28th Oct | 3/5
  51. Resident Evil 5 (PS4) | 30th Oct | 4/5
  52. Resident Evil 6 (PS4) | 8th Nov | 3.5/5
  53. Resident Evil 7 (PS4) | 20th Nov | 4.5/5
  54. Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap (PS4) | 21st Nov | 3.5/5

latest

1. The Messenger - PS4
Completed 1/1/2019
Rating: 4/5

Probably doesn't count since I technically completed it on 12/31, so I'll do 53 games just in case, but I just wanted to write about it. I loved this game. The mechanics were thoroughly enjoyable and I loved the story and game twists. Well worth full price! I started playing it on 12/30 and got the platinum trophy on 12/31. I would say more, but I feel like even talking about it too much would enter spoiler territory.

KeyArt_1080pFINAL-1260x709.png

2. Blasphemous - PS4
Completed 1/1/2020
Rating: 4.5/5

Another game I thoroughly loved. The art, the atmosphere, the music, the mechanics, the love letter to Souls games... all of it just hit me in the right spot. I highly recommend this game to any Metroidvania or Dark Souls fan. This would have been an easy 5/5 if it had more RPG elements to it. I achieved the platinum for this game as well on 1/5/2020.

header.jpg

3. Salt and Sanctuary - PS4

Completed 1/8/2020

After hearing so much about this game, and hearing it mentioned in the same breath as Blasphemous, I had to buy and check out this game. I am glad that I did. As faithful to Dark Souls as you can get in 2D architecture, this game hooked me almost immediately. There's something about cryptic mystery in a difficult game that scratches some deep primal itch within me. Going directly from Blasphemous, the RPG elements in this game are exactly what I was wanting in a game like this. Unfortunately, it had the tough act of Blasphemous to follow, and I found the combat and platforming to be a little lacking in comparison. I still enjoyed every raging second of this!

Valfaris_MainArt_1920x1080.png

4. Valfaris - PS4
Completed 1/11/2020
Rating: 3.5/5

My friend let me know about this game, saying it was like Contra metroidvania, but extremely difficult and full of metal. That's a very apt description! I am not great at side-scrolling shooters, although I did play through the entire contra collection on PS4 and achieve every trophy this past year, and this game kicked my butt. It was almost too difficult in some sections, and nearly made me rage quit multiple times. I would have to put the game down and come back the next day, which turned out to be enough to make it all the way through. The music, humor, and incredible pixel art in this game are sublime. I did think it was going to be less linear than it was, and some of the level design was not my cup of tea, but it is 100% worth playing if you are a fan of Contra, Slain, Metal Slug or other over-the-top side-scrolling action games!

Diesel%2Fproductv2%2Fdetroit-become-human%2Fhome%2FDetroit_PC_Carousel-1920x1080-6e90610a5d314ce0c12860770cc38c1b23213000.jpg

5. Detroit: Become Human - PS4
Completed 1/15/2020
Rating: 3/5

My wife and I started playing this game late last year and slowly plodded our way through. The game itself is very well made, and the voice acting and characters are pretty wonderful. I guffawed a few times near the end, and I don't generally care for this style of game, but overall it was enjoyable. My wife is not into video games in the least bit, but enjoys watching these playthroughs and making the choices that affect the story. I'm hoping we can get through a few more like this one this year, as I really enjoyed the experience, even if I didn't particularly enjoy the gameplay.

capsule_616x353.jpg

6. Monster Hunter World: Iceborne - PS4
Completed 1/18/2020

Most of my gaming time has been reserved for this lately, and even after completing it, it seems like I'm only playing this game. I hope I tire of the grind and post game content relatively quickly, or I will get behind in a hurry! I loved the base game of MHW and I love everything they added with this expansion. The clutch claw mechanics breathed new life, and all of the new monsters are awesome. This is still the only Monster Hunter game I've played, but I can tell I will be a lifelong fan of the series from here out.

SQ_NSwitch_TheLegendOfZeldaLinksAwakening.jpg

7. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening - Switch
Completed: 1/26/2020
Rating: 5/5

I got this game as a holiday gift for my daughter, and knew we would play through it together. She played Breath of the Wild and needed my help for the first half, but ended up finishing the back half on her own. We played this game together and she had me help for nearly every boss and the last few dungeons. It was an absolute blast and a perfect game. The only complaint I have is that it is a bit too easy, but that is likely because I have extensive Link to the Past knowledge and muscle memory. This complaint is easily counteracted by the fact that they are still giving love to 2D Zelda and re-introducing a lost genre of brilliance to a younger generation. I recommend this game to literally everyone.

baba-is-you-cover.cover_large.jpg

8. Baba is You - Switch
Completed: 2/1/2020

I finally picked this game up during the holiday after so much word-of-mouth hype. I knew the general concept but was not prepared for how mind blowing it truly is. This is the best puzzle game I've ever played, and it made me realize that this is a genre I do not play enough of. I LOVED this game to death. I cannot find a single flaw with this masterpiece. There are still some levels that I have no idea how to solve, so I have not 100% completed this yet, but I hope to someday. Everyone should play this game.

220px-The_Surge_2_cover_art.png

9. The Surge 2 - PS4
Completed: 2/1/2020
Rating: 3.5/5

I picked this up on sale over the holiday due to it being souls-like and relatively cheap. I knew the reaction to this series is pretty divisive, but I thought I'd give it a shot. It is a very solid game with some great ideas. The combat gets a little same-y after many hours of game play, which made me start skipping side quests towards the end. I liked the variety of weapons and gear choices as well as the body part targeting combat. The story was better than I thought it was going to be, but I was expecting it to be abysmal. Better than average, but not amazing.

220px-The_Outer_Worlds_cover_art.png

10. The Outer Worlds - PS4
Completed: 2/8/2020

I spent the entire week playing nothing but this, and it was a good week. This game immersed me pretty quickly and I was ready to sing high praises, but much like in most open world RPGs of this nature, I get overwhelmed doing all of the side quests and eventually just want to finish the story by the end. The combat is good, but really easy on the default difficulty. I was never challenged in this game in any regard, and most scenarios can just be avoided if you invested in dialog skills. I played a high intelligence, long gun, smooth talking scientist and feel as though it was a completely broken build. The writing in this is good, but I can only take so much of the "Will you do this for me, great" quest-style. The companion side quests were the best part of the game, and I feel there could have been more. All-in-all, it's a really fun game to play. I will definitely give it a go on the hardest difficulty, as New Vegas was the most fun for me on hardcore mode.

220px-Dragon_Warrior_III.jpg

11. Dragon Warrior III - NES
Completed: 2/9/2020

After achieving the platinum for DQ11 last year, I wanted to play through the entire DQ series as I had only ever played DQ1 as a kid. I got through DQ1, DQ2 and most of DQ3 before shelving the project to play the four job fiesta and Ritual of the Night in June 2019. After finishing the Outer Worlds, I was pining for a retro game and decided to pick the project back up as part of this challenge. I thought I had left off on the last boss, but apparently had an entire section of the game to complete left. I loved DQ1 as a kid and I still have great nostalgia for it. DQ2 was very difficult towards the end, but I enjoyed the advancement of the series by adding party members and making the game more tactical with buffs/debuffs. DQ3 was a major step up from DQ2 and introduced classes and a customizable party. I loved it! It was also very difficult for me to complete, as the last two bosses and their respective dungeons are brutal! Not quite as bad as say FF3 NES, but it was up there for me. I'm looking forward to playing the remaining games of this series, and hope they keep bringing the new ones to the West. I finished it a day before the 32nd anniversary of its release!

220px-Dragon_Quest_IV_cover.jpg

12. Dragon Warrior IV - NES
Completed: 2/16/2020

Dragon Quest/Warrior IV caught me completely off guard. The way the story is told and unfolds is nothing short of remarkable for an NES game. I loved every minute of this game and believe it is a perfect game. It is one of the best NES games I have ever played. I can't believe how much of a leap from the already wonderful DQIII this was. I can't wait to play through the rest of this series!

220px-Dragon_Quest_V_Super_Famicom_front_cover.jpg

13. Dragon Quest V - SNES
Completed 2/23/2020

Apparently I just love every Dragon Quest game. This was even better than DQ4. Not quite as good as DQ11, but it's close. The emotional twists and turns of the story really got me. I wish this was a game I played as a kid. I watched the movie on Netflix afterward and it was solid. It can't compare to the game, though!

------

I'm hoping I can update this once a week or so.

Good luck everyone!

- Addendum: I'm just now realizing how much space this single post is starting to take up, so I will only be updating the meta list from here out and replying to the thread with new additions.

Last edited:

Whimsicalish

Dec 30, 2019
Midwest
04 | Glass Masquerade 2: Illusions
Q9vwVGb.png

PC Steam | Jan 16th | 8hrs | 5/5

I have played the first Glass Masquerade last year, I believe, and I loved it. These are fantastic puzzle games. Classic jigsaw puzzles with beautiful mosaic artwork. Each puzzle feels like a complete treat. Each piece has a theme tied to a quote. The art is wonderfully done and the music eases you into a sense of magic.

I recommend these two games for late nights when you want to chill and relax. Since I'm normally anxious, I didn't want either game to be finished. My favorite jigsaw puzzle games I have found so far.

Main Post

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Main Post

1. The Awesome Adventures of Captain Spirit - 2h - 01.01

A very charming little prequel to Life is Strange 2. Inventive and very chill, though it also touches on a couple of heavy issues. It achieves quite a bit in just a couple of hours.

2. Control - 27h40 - 01.01

Hands down, my favourite Remedy game. It plays great, and the art and sound design really draws you into this very weird place, one which i got to know intimately. The architecture is pitch perfect. The story and world are much meatier than a simple critical path playthrough promises. There is so much interesting stuff unveiled by exploring. I want more of this.

And the Ashtray Maze will probably remain this year's coolest moment.

3. Beyond Good & Evil HD - 11h30 - 09.01

A replay of one of my all time favourites. Jade still kicks ass. The world is still fascinating. The sequel still looks nothing like this in any way.

Lobotomaxx

Dec 30, 2019
Nebraska
3/52.

j2vCDNI.jpg

-Alan Wake, a human disaster

#3: Alan Wake (beaten 1/16/20) | Steam | 3/5 | 16 hours
Not really sure what happened in this game. Some of the sections you could do without weapons were sort of cool and I would frequently go hide in lights so bad guys would leave me alone. If you want to collect hundreds of items to fill a bar up and get an achievement for it, this is your game. If you want to platinum it, you will have to beat it at least twice. I was sort of underwhelmed by the two DLC chapters where nothing really seems to wrap up or happen? I might be too stupid for games like this!

Main Post

Bing-Bong

Banned
Feb 1, 2019
Small update after a long time! Had to study for some college tests and this game gave me LIFE.

hqdefault.jpg

4. Downwell (PsVita) / 17/01/2020 - 10+ h / 4/5. -> It's a fun roguelike endless game, perfect to pick and play anytime. I had to study for some tests and this game was really easy to play during my 15 min. breaks. Pretty addictive too!
Luckily i have a one week break before going back to class, so i prepared some games to play during it.

Bosh

Oct 26, 2017

#9: Ace Attorney Investigations (1/16/2020) | 9/10 | 3DS XL | Recommend: Y
# Overall -9 | Awesome game and one of the best in the series!
Gameplay - 8.2| Game looks good and plays well. Pacing works well.
Sound - 9| Tons of great tunes, for characters and for background
Story/Online -10 | Great cases, the game builds itself up and uses all of them to tell a complete story
Asking Price- 9| Not a game I would replay but a ton of content thats with lasting appeal

Aru

Oct 28, 2017
There is only 1 year that I reached 52+ games beaten. I'm not forcing myself to do so. :)
After having beat more than 600 games in my lifetime, I don't need to beat a lot of games each year. 20-30 seems to be the sweet spot.

FRANKEINSTEIN

Oct 27, 2017
AZ
Untitled_Goose_Game_video_game_cover_art.jpg

5. Untitled Goose Game (XB1) Jan 17 2.5 Hrs ★★★
Kept hearing about this game and being on Gamepass, I figured I'd try it out. It was alright. Definitely perfect length.

TheOneJat

Oct 1, 2018
Master Post edited. 9/52.

Lego Star Wars - The Original Trilogy - After the previous two Lego games I still had an urge to keep on going with the franchise. Unfortunately this games age really shows. Hit boxes are awful at time and the AI companions are terrible. Still not a bad little playthrough none the less. 3/5.

Rirse

Jun 29, 2019
Today game is the newly released on Switch, Tokyo Mirage Session FE Encore.

nFsVQl1.jpg

vuRLOvy.jpg

Never finished it on the WiiU, but happy it got put out on the Switch. The lack of load times is so nice because I almost forgot how slow the game was on the WiiU at times. Wanting to finish this now that Pokemon Sword is done.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
7. Zuma's Revenge
1471514597-904050489.jpg

This was a nice puzzle game, final area was really tough though, but I managed in the end. Will aim to clear its extra modes too.

rahji

Oct 25, 2017
1. Monster Hunter World Iceborne - Finished on 05/01/2020 Time: 75 hours for the campaign I guess but I started in 2019

One of the best expansions I have played. I enjoy the clutch claw and the new monsters very much. The new weapon moves are also a gamechanger. The best monster hunter game for me so far. I finished the campaign but you know that is just the beginning of the real endgame.

2. Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair - Finished on 08/01/2020 Time: ~20 hours

A very good Jump'n'Run with an absurd difficult last level. It has tight controls, a lot of momentum in the levels and some really cool ideas. I especially like the overworld with all the tonics.

3. Professor Layton and the Curious Village - Finished on 010/01/2020 Time: ~15 hours

Due to the lack of new Phoenix Wright games, I started this franchise and I quite enjoyed it. Despite being 10 years old, the puzzles are still as crisp as fresh cornflakes. I finished it on a night where I could fall asleep so I solved some puzzles.

Coming up: Currently going RE2 Remake

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
8. FEAR 2
518540-f-e-a-r-2-project-origin-playstation-3-manual.jpg

An underwhelming sequel mainly due to the shotguns not having the same impact and feel as in the first game. It really feels like a major step down from the first game. Doesn't help that it has some annoying jump scares, but in the end I rushed through it to finish it. Not many positives I could say about it unfortunately.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
10: Secret of Mana. End: 1/18/2019. 14 Hours. Liked-A-Lot.

I really like this flawed but ultimately fun SNES game. I've beaten it many times over the years (I even beat it back in 2018 during that year's 52 game challenge), and I always enjoy coming back to it.

PUNQ

Apr 18, 2018
Norway
Started the year with a bang! Have a massive backlog, so I'll be taking advantage of that this year. Gonna be many short experiences but there will be larger adventures too. Just want to make the backlog smaller first, if that's even possible on the Nintendo Switch (yes, all games will be on the Switch, as it's the only system I play).

January 1, 2020

49404201252_d035159886.jpg

1. Sayonara Wild Hearts
★★★★

3hrs

I've heard a lot of good things about Sayonara Wild Hearts. With it's short playtime and mellow mood, it was a good pick to start 2020. It's basically a Endless Runner with a soul. A lot of soul. And it's not endless. Or just a runner, as it keeps changing things up. In many ways it's a playable a soundtrack album. And it's simply beautiful. So much so, that once I had finished the individual tracks, I did the entire album version as well. Sayonara Wild Hearts is that good!

January 2, 2020

49404201462_8a9478f9bd.jpg

2. Donut County
★★★½

2hrs

Donut County is the type of game everyone can pick-up and play. From my 4 -year-old son to anyone wanting some stupid escapism. All you do is stuff everything into a growing hole! Can hardly be called challenging, but the concept is so incredibly fun! And it's so addictive that the adventure is over in no-time. For that's the big issue. Lack on content. It's over before you feel satisfied and you simply want to putt more stuff in that hole. And not in a perverted way either.

January 3, 2020

49403526843_1398f53d7b.jpg

3. AER Memories of Old
★★½

5hrs

Nice little adventure through islands in the sky. Honestly there wasn't that much to do as far as puzzles go. You search for spots that are lit-up and that's practically it. A very non-stressful experience. Also a slightly missed opportunity as there was a ton of room to add side-quests to make the exploration more exiting. However the flying was mellow and landscapes worth the hours spent on this game.

January 4, 2020

49403526853_59d84afd68.jpg

4. Ape Out
★★★★½

10hrs

What a adrenaline kick! I went in like a mad ape until I completed the entire game! Including HARD MODE! That's not something I often do. Loved the atmosphere, art style and frantic blood spill! I died a thousand times, and loved every kill!

January 5, 2020

49404201297_2d558b3407.jpg

5. OVIVO
★★★

4hrs

A spot bouncing though black and white landscapes. Simple enough idea. And a enjoyable one at that. I did feel my enthusiasm was dwelling after a few levels, but they did change things up enough for the experience not to become stale. And they also didn't go overboard with the difficulty which they easily could have done with these artistic levels they had designed. So it was a well adjusted experience.

January 6, 2020

49403526753_3f96bf570d.jpg

6. GRIS
★★★½

3hrs 40min

The highly acclaimed Gris. Such a beautiful game. Or an experience, rather. Not a passive experience, but there's no denying that it's the visual flow of the story that's the main event in Gris. You do have to do some solid platforming, but it's rarely too challenging. Had a real nice time with this visual treat, but I'm not going to claim I fell madly in love with the game.

January 7, 2020

49404201452_fea9bd97ff.jpg

7. Enigmatis 2: The Mists of Ravenwood
★★★½

6hrs 30min

I've done a few point & click games on the Switch and the general formula has been the same. Finds numerous items within a picture, basic puzzles moving objects around and use the items you've just found to progress in the story. Enigmatis 2: The Mists of Ravenwood is the best I've played in that style so far. The story was engaging, putting enough effort into the presentation to make it feel more than just a throw-away point & click game. Never so difficult that it'll stop you progressing, yet there were enough puzzles to keep one occupied without ever feeling bored through the story (and that little bonus story after the main adventure). Fairly thrilling it was too. So much that the rest of the family became interested in the adventure as I was playing.

49404223602_2467595fd7.jpg

8. Nicky - The Home Alone Golf Ball
★½

1hr

This one popped-up for practically nothing on the eShop, so I picked it put for a laugh. Actually the idea wasn't that bad. A golf platforming game. Execution however was rough. Hardly great physics, and sometimes my ball-character would disappear while I could still hit him (eventually turning up after a few strikes). On top of that the camera didn't always follow so you had to move that one manually a lot of the time. I guess it was a decent time-waster if expecting nothing, but even with its short run-time Nicky - The Home Alone Golf Ball had outstayed its welcome.

January 8, 2020

49404326617_2f1dc9c5fa.jpg

9. Refunct
★★

1hr

Very basic first-person parkour type game, jumping onto platforms to change their color. The flow was nice and I had a good time with it, but the lack of content makes it almost pointless. Had there been 3-to-5 more levels like that, sure, it would have been worth the effort, but seeing as it was only this little world, the challenge falls flat.

49404127146_8094f85bf3.jpg

10. Old Man's Journey
★★½

2hrs

This was more a interactive animation movie, than anything else. We follow a old man as he goes on a trip, resulting in him having flashbacks of his younger days, and it's all sweet and warm. There is not much to the game play. Just shape the surroundings so that the old man can continue on his journey. Something to do while the story unfolds itself. It was fine.

49404326667_7cf9ffcc93.jpg

11. KAMIKO
★★★

1hr 30min

Zelda-lite. A mini one. Short and sweet. I only did one of the characters, though there are three to choose from with different weapons. Didn't feel the need to repeat the experience twice over, but I did really enjoy my time with KAMIKO, and it reminded me it was about time I finished the first Zelda...

January 9, 2020

49403652813_f7b240e882.jpg

12. The Legend of Zelda
★★★★

16hrs

I probable played 2/3rds of this last year, and it took a little time to orientate myself on how far I had reached. Not exactly a linear play-through as the Level-2 dungeon was the last I did before entering Ganon's maze. The Legend of Zelda was my favorite game growing up, and while I got far in it as a kid, I don't think I ever finished it. Now 30 years later, I finally did it!

January 10, 2020

49404326627_880327ac0a.jpg

13. One Eyed Kutkh

45min

The animation was the only positive. The play and puzzle aspect left me wondering what was the point of this tiny adventure.

January 11, 2020

49403652973_3ac617810e.jpg

14. Isoland
★★★

3hrs

Clever puzzle point & click'er. I had to cheat a little to get to the final scenes, but otherwise there was enough clues laying around everywhere to make progress if observant enough.

January 12, 2020

49404326727_c7753ccf2e.jpg

15. Isoland 2 - Ashes of Time
★★★

4hrs 20min

Isoland 2 follows the same pattern as the first one and I found it a little bit easier, or it could just be me getting used to the quirkiness of this world, which I genuinely enjoyed. Relies a little too much on remembering codes found all over the place, but this was a creative puzzle game to pass the time with.

January 13, 2020

49404127266_2ba122471d.jpg

16. Aborigenus
★★

50min

A platforming diversion. If it's a good diversion or not is harder to answer. It runs fine and the 8-bit aesthetics are mildly appetizing, but it's one of those short and simple experiences that becomes a little too short and simple.

January 14, 2020

49403652683_944a1d3c23.jpg

17. Zelda II - The Adventure of Link
★★★

14hrs

Some of those palaces were punishing! No way I could have gotten through those without the quality of life features of the Nintendo Switch Online service and detailed guides. The old school monsters attack in very random ways to go at it in a calculated manner and they were a little too creative with paths to the bosses. Especially the final one! At least I finally got the full experience of Zelda II, even if it was a frustrating experiences. While I haven't played all Zelda games, I can understand Zelda II being among the less impressive ones, but I appreciate what they were trying to do and I have fond memories of it from when I was young.

49404326587_55e574c497.jpg

18. Super Mario Bros.
★★★★

3hrs

While on a old school kick, it's time to polish off those old platforming skills with the original Super Mario Bros. Used to play this to death in my younger days, and while I had timing problems on a few stages, the rust was quickly brushed off. Still as fun as it always was! Love this game!

January 15, 2020

49404217431_b4b945e7f9.jpg

19. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
★★★★★

15hrs

Done the first two Zeldas. So why not continue going through the games of my childhood and do A Link to the Past, the 3rd Zelda. Must be at least 25 years since I touched this one and this is my favorite of the early ones. The difficult level doesn't go super crazy, which makes this flow so well and stay fun from start to finish. Reliving A Link to the Past again was so great that I couldn't putit down except for necessary sleep. A ton of secrets and mysteries to unfold, and it's such a great world to move around. They really did wonders making this one. A masterpiece!

January 16, 2020

49403742833_39156fecb3.jpg

20. Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels
★★★½

5hrs

While I'm finally taking advantage of Nintendo's Online service, I'll do one I haven't played before. Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels, the original Super Mario Bros. 2. They said it was too difficult to release in the western world.... and they were right. This made me feel like a real Super Mario amateur. I'm sure those that specialize in Mario Maker and stuff like that will breeze through this, but I can only imagine how people back in the day would have felt getting through one tough obstacle only to get killed in the next booby trap the developers had lined-up. It was almost trolling. This was the first time I used the rewind function on the app. I'm sorry. There was no way I was getting through this without it. At this point I'm only out to get through the experience of these old games, not conquer them.

49403742863_18b12335d8.jpg

21. Football Game
★★★

2hrs

Now for a different pace. A quiet point & click game with a retro feel, seemingly very naive, but with a darker twist. Or so it leaves you thinking. Not a sports game at all. More a personal drama. Wish the story was longer, revealing completely what happened. But it was a cool experience.

January 17, 2020

49404418102_6abf0a77cc.jpg

22. Access Denied
★½

3hrs

A frustrating puzzle game. The concept was one I thought I'd like, cracking codes of various machines, but the challenge was more what the puzzle were than solving the actual puzzles. And many of the results felt very random. Not the chilled nut I hoped it was going to be.

49404418002_50a2364f61.jpg

23. Super Mario Bros. 2
★★★½

4hrs

Then to the Super Mario Bros. 2 version I grew up with. For some reason I remember it as a mellow experience, but this ended up being a lot more irritating than I had hoped. So much I had to do this one in two sittings. I originally tried right after playing The Lost Levels and lost all my platforming confidence from that nightmare. Recovered enough to complete this the next day, but I'm not sure I'm enjoying these 2D platformers as I did in the old days. Time will tell once I move on to the more modern 2D'ers. That doesn't mean I didn't have fun with SMB2, especially with it's alternative physics and worlds compared to the others in the series.

--PUNQ--

Lobotomaxx

Dec 30, 2019
Nebraska
4/52.

fFugLWt.jpg

#4: Angelica Weaver: Catch Me When You Can - Collector's Edition (beaten 1/18/20) | Steam | 2/5 | 4 hours
Steam says I played this for four hours, but I took a phone call and had to leave my PC a couple of times during play, so it is probably more likely that it was 3 hours. This is a hidden object / puzzle / point and click adventure game about solving murders as a time traveling psychic detective. I have no idea how I got this game other than it may have been in a bundle. It sort of reminded me of one of those games you would find at Walmart and it would have like 6 games on one disc. I don't know, the game was fine but I'm not really into hidden object games.

Main Post

Last edited: