• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rirse

Jun 29, 2019
Two today since I forgot to post it after work.

First is Mario Power Tennis

7YKQsvq.jpg

1EQDyUl.png

After having done the GBC and N64 release, I like this one a lot more. Took until the final match in the Star Tournament for the AI to just cheat through so I didn't get to finish it.

Second game is Civilization for the SNES

fAkyMni.jpg

H714tsj.png

I never had a PC in the day, so games like this and a few other future entries for the SNES were how I was able to play a lot of these big PC releases. I enjoy this version back in the day, playing it a ton with my dad. It still fun but I am so used to VI that it feels so strange having a stack of barbarians kill your entire stack in one hit.

Illusionary

Oct 25, 2017
Manchester, UK
With the end of January, my first update post for the year - it's been a productive month and I'm up to 12 games beaten so far!

Master post here.

header.jpg

1. Agent A: A puzzle in disguise (Switch) | 1 January 2020
Complete playthrough. A short and fairly simple first-person point-and-click puzzle game with a secret agent theme, Agent A generally achieves what it sets out to achieve, with logical solutions to puzzles. Difficulty comes mostly from working out (and remembering) what can be interacted with rather than the interactions themselves, as especially in the later chapters there are numerous areas throughout which the puzzles take place - which can lead to some frustration. Of course, a quick reference to a guide is an easy way to relieve that!

NSMBU-Deluxe.jpg

2. New Super Mario Bros. U (Switch) | 3 January 2019
5-starred save file (100% completion) for story mode, as part of New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe. While I played New Super Mario Bros. U in its original form on Wii U, that was now several years ago so this felt like a fresh experience. Level design is up to Nintendo's usual high standards, with nice variety in environment themes to keep things interesting and some well-hidden secrets. Ultimately most of the game follows a familiar formula, but that doesn't detract from the satisfying gameplay that Nintendo's 2D platformers are always able to deliver.

header.jpg

3. Sayonara Wild Hearts (Switch) | 4 January 2020
Completed with gold ranks on all stages and the majority of 'Zodiac riddles' solved. An absolutely superb, extremely stylish rhythm game, with a stunning electronic pop soundtrack. The level design and variety is excellent throughout, always perfectly complementing the soundtrack for each stage, with an electrifying sense of speed for the faster stages. Behind the gameplay and music is an uplifting story of recovery from heartbreak, which is a nice touch though not at all necessary for enjoyment of the game. While a short experience for a single playthrough (around an hour), chasing high scores ( I gather that there's a higher ranking even than gold) and achievements brings some longevity, quite aside from just enjoying the music.

header.jpg

4. Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice (PS4) | 7 January 2020
Platinum trophy earned. Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice is a superb achievement for Ninja Theory, telling the story of a young female warrior on a quest to restore the soul of her dead lover. The game has a very dark atmosphere throughout and has mental health as a core theme, with Senua suffering from psychosis that manifests itself most obviously through a number of voices that appear to speak to Senua throughout the game, displaying a range of personality traits, often directly opposing each other such as with fear and confidence. Senua's psychosis also allows for a refreshing unusual approach to plot exposition, with certain characters appearing to her to her and providing further background detail, creating a real sense of investment.

Sound direction is particularly outstanding, with a good pair of headphones being near-essential to experience the game at its best, allowing the use of binaural audio to evoke a sense of the voices being 'in your head'; environmental audio is similarly excellent and there's a compelling backing soundtrack. In terms of 'gameplay', some of the puzzle-solving is very interesting, making good use of illusion mechanics justified by Senua's psychosis. Combat mechanics, while not a primary focus of the game, are serviceable enough, and the environments that the game presents are always interesting, evocative and well-designed.

While the dark, at times 'horror'-based, themes that Senua's Sacrifice centres itself upon wouldn't usually to my tastes, this has been a very memorable experience and one that I'd highly recommend.

header.jpg

5. Thirty Flights of Loving (Steam) | 7 January 2020
Complete playthrough. Thirty Flights of Loving is a very short first-person story with limited interactivity. It quite effectively draws the player into its story through the use of jump cuts between scenes that clearly take place in sequence, but with notable gaps between them, inviting you to fill in the details of its plot. While perhaps part of the charm, the very primitive graphical style may be a turn-off for many, but the soundtrack is pretty good. Although very cheap, I'm not sure that I'd recommend buying this on its own (I received it as part of a bundle), but it's an interesting experience to play through while it lasts - overall I'd give the game a qualified recommendation

header.jpg

6. Gravity Bone (Steam) | 9 January 2020
Complete playthrough. An earlier game from Blendo Game, Gravity Bone shares the short length and oddball graphical style of Thirty Flights of Loving, but actually I found that I enjoyed it somewhat more. The game still jumps between scenes, but the events are more clearly defined, alongside having more interesting objectives and an enjoyable sense of humour throughout.

7bd07626c17c91db8681c3b64be7e0656d274368.png

7. Control (PS4) | 16 January 2020
Platinum trophy earned. Control is easily among my highlights of 2019, with well-realised combat that conveys a real sense of power, alongside an excellent control scheme that ensures that a diverse set of supernatural powers are always right at your fingertips. Where the game really excels, though, is in the superbly well-crafted setting - the "Oldest House" that the game tasks you to explore holds some fascinating secrets, while an extensive range of collectibles - including text documents, images, voice recordings and videos - flesh out the background lore that sits behind the engrossing story.

header.jpg

8. Sparklite (Switch) | 21 January 2020
Beaten with all Refuge upgrades purchased.Sparklite is an enjoyable, though fairly shallow, rogue-lite with 2D Zelda-style core gameplay. With five main areas that each unlock after defeating the boss of the previous area, the procedurally-generated game world is nicely varied and enjoyable to explore. Each time that your character is loses all life, they'll be rescued and returned to an airborne 'Refuge', where ability upgrades can be purchased, then applied to a customisable 'patch' board to take effect for your next run. While these upgrades allow for increased life, greater damage output, reduced damage received, etc., ability upgrades and gadgets can be collected from the game world as you progress, some of which are nicely imaginative.

The core combat mechanic works well, while rarely being overly difficult so long as you're careful; the end of area boss fights are definite highlights and very satisfying to beat, especially when you're able to master the attack patterns and emerge unscathed. That said, I found the final boss encounter to be somewhat frustrating (no specifics so as to avoid spoilers), but I suppose as the climax to the game a bit of a difficulty spike is justifiable!

Puzzle-Book.jpg

9. Puzzle Book (Switch) | 23 January 2020
All sizes completed for all puzzles. Puzzle Book is a jigsaw puzzle game, with a total of 34 puzzles to solve within six different themes, from animals through to space and fantasy. Although the gameplay is inherently rather simplistic, the controls are well-implemented in both docked and undocked modes and the puzzle images are brightly-coloured and attractive, alongside an appropriately relaxed soundtrack. With each puzzle being available in six different sizes, from 6 pieces up to 60, there's a good range of complexity, making this a decent package as far as it goes.

header.jpg

10. Outer Wilds (Xbox One) | 30 January 2020
100% complete, aside from the Hotshot achievement. Outer Wilds is a simply stunning exploration game, with a superbly crafted mystery threaded throughout the solar system that allows a completely free-form approach - but to say much more would risk getting into spoilers. While the controls take a little getting used to, it's absolutely worth pushing through that initial friction. Special mention also must go to the incredibly poignant and well-used soundtrack.

header.jpg

11. Tangle Tower (Switch) | 30 January 2020
Complete playthrough. With an enjoyable mix of gameplay styles along the lines of the Ace Attorney and Professor Layton series, Tangle Tower tasks the player with finding clues, solving puzzles and composing deductions with the aim of solving a murder case. While never overly challenging - there's no fail state for any of the puzzles and a handy hint system is available to suggest potential ways forward - the game is enjoyable throughout. It's a little on the short side - the game wraps up surprisingly quickly once the initial investigative stages are completed - but an enjoyable soundtrack, superb writing and voice-acting, alongside animation that imbues the characters with a great deal of personality, ensure that this is an enjoyable package all around.

header.jpg

12. Tametsi (Steam) | 31 January 2020
All puzzles completed without errors; 100% of achievements unlocked. The next step up from the excellent Hexcells, Tametsi is a fiendishly difficult combination of Minesweeper and Picross, with a few other elements thrown in to provide greater variety still. Mechanically, the game is well-implemented, with a free drawing tool available to sketch out possible solutions/thought processes before committing to revealing tiles, but the game's quality really turns on the puzzle design, which really can't be faulted. With 160 puzzles on offer, all of which can be solved entirely without guessing, Tametsi will last you a long time.

Xadra

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2018
54/52

JANUARY 2020
OXtuxCL.png

FEBRUARY 2020

uC9tDoC.png

MARCH 2020
Fww9bmP.png

n30SSg6.png

zki6JkK.png

1. Pokémon Sword (Switch) | 8th Jan - 325hrs | 3/5
2. Resident Evil / biohazard HD REMASTER (PC) | 10th Jan - 16hrs | 4/5
3. Resident Evil 0 / biohazard 0 HD REMASTER (PC) | 13th Jan - 13hrs | 4/5
5. SOMA (PC) | 15th Jan - 11hrs | 5/5
6. The Vanishing of Ethan Carter Redux (PC) | 17th Jan - 4hrs | 3/5
7. Afterparty (PC) |18th Jan - 6hrs | 4/5
8. Layers of Fear: Masterpiece Edition (PC) |19th Jan - 4hrs | 3/5
9. Observer (PC) | 23th Jan - 8hrs | 4/5
10. Singularity (PC) | 27th Jan - 9hrs | 4/5
11. Alien: Isolation (PC) | 3rd Feb - 23hrs | 5/5
12. Journey to the Savage Planet (PC) | 6th Feb - 14hrs | 3/5
13. Vanquish (PC) | 08th Feb - 6hrs | 3/5
14. Dishonored (PC) | 11th Feb - 17hrs | 4/5
15. Bioshock Remastered (PC) | 12th Feb - 12hrs | 4/5
16. Void Bastards (PC) | 15th Feb - 15hrs | 3/5
17. Book of Demons (PC) | 17th Feb - 10hrs | 4/5
18. ABZÛ (PC) | 18th Feb - 2hrs | 4/5
19. Titan Quest: Anniversary Edition (PC) + Titan Quest: Ragnarok + Titan Quest: Atlantis | 27th Feb - 45hrs | 4/5
20. The Suicide of Rachel Foster (PC) | 28th Feb - 4hrs | 3/5
21. What Remains of Edith Finch (PC) | 1st Mar. - 2hrs | 4/5
22. Dead Space (PC) | 6th Mar - 11hrs | 4/5
23. LIMBO (PC) | 7th Mar - 3hrs | 3/5
24. Amnesia: The Dark Descent (PC) | 7th Mar - 8 hrs | 4/5
25. Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs (PC) | 8th Mar - 5 hrs | 3/5
26. Planet Alpha (PC) | 9th Mar - 5hrs | 3/5
27. BioShock 2 Remastered (PC) | 11th Mar - 11hrs | 4/5
28. Halo: Reach (PC) | 13th Mar - 8hrs | 3/5
29. Half-Life: Source (PC) | 14th Mar - 11hrs | 4/5
30. Bioshock Infinite (PCI) | 16th Mar - 17hrs | 5/5
31. Halo: Combat Evolved - Anniversary (PC) | 17th Mar - 10hrs | 3/5
32. Dishonored 2 (PC) | 20th Mar - 15hrs | 4/5
33. Doom (2016) (PC) | 23th Mar - 16hrs | 5/5
34. Wolfenstein: The New Order (PC) | 25th Mar - 13hrs | 3/5
35. Half-Life 2 (PC) | 27th Mar - 12hrs | 4/5
36. Fire Emblem: Awakening (3DS) | July - 78hrs | 4/5
37. Moonlighter (Switch) | July - 37hrs | 4/5
38. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (Switch) | August - 18hrs| 4/5
39. Good Job! (Switch) | August - 7hrs | 3/5
40. Streets of Rage 4 (Switch) | August - 6hrs | 4/5
41. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Switch) | August - 9hrs | 4/5
42. Monster Hunter Stories (3DS) | September - 47hrs | 3/5
43. Yomawari: The Long Night Collection (Switch) | October - 14hrs | 3/5
44. The Coma: Recut (Switch) | October - 6hrs | 4/5
45. The Coma 2: Vicious Sisters (Switch) | November - 11hrs | 4/5
46. The Liar Princess and the Blind Prince (Switch) | November - 6hrs | 3/5
47. Little Misfortune (Switch) | November - 3hrs | 3/5
48. A Short Hike (Switch) | November - 2hrs | 2/5
49. Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight (Switch) | November - 7hrs | 3/5
50. Carto (Switch) | November - 6hrs | 2/5
51. Inmost (Switch) | November - 4hrs | 4/5
52. Zero Escape: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors (nds) | 13th December - 11hrs | 4/5
53. Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward (3DS) | 25th December - 45hrs | 3/5
54. Zero Escape: Zero Time Dilemma (3DS) | 27th December - 23hrs | 3/5

Notes:
  • Pokémon: I want to play the DLC before I consider the game finish.
  • Halo: played on PC as part of the Halo: The Master Chief Collection. I don't know if I'll be able to complete all games of the collection with my current PC, so I'm listing every game as an individual game.
  • I'm not able to play, with good quality, games released after 2016-2017, so I believe Dishonored 2 will be the last modern/new triple A game that I play this year on PC.
  • I played games like: Minecraft, Valorant, or Two Point Hospital, but because I didn't finished them, I don't want to include them in my list. I will complete Minecraft some day (next update?), the other two I doubt it. (well, Valorant is online so being considered completed is subjective, in this case, I consider the game as dropped)
As anyone clearly can see, after the intense firsts months of the year, I haven't been playing as much. My personal life has become better, is still not perfect but it's a huge improvement.

Last edited:

Spyware

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Update 6!

Late update! Got hooked by Horizon Zero Dawn again and didn't wanna spend my free time writing this when I could play that ;)

KYsc4C3.png

26. The Messenger (PC) | 24th Jan - 11hrs | 5/5 | 100% Completion of the first playthrough (no NG+)

Prior knowledge:
More than usual! I knew what the game was about, how it played and such.​

The positives:
It's so much fun! The humor is right up my alley and I enjoyed the story. I don't mind the backtracking or exploration at all. The first part of the game has great pacing and after the upgrades and whatnot I really enjoyed hunting the collectibles. I enjoyed the movement, cloud stepping is fantastic, and how easy the combat was. I can't remember if I ever died to an enemy, but oh boy those pits and spikes! Quarble got some shards from me alright. The different areas were varied and beautiful and the music rocks!​

The negatives:
As usual with my bad eyesight there are some issues with clarity which can lead to some frustration. In a couple of zones I had problems getting my bearings and it wasn't always clear enough what I could stand on and what was just background. Wasn't a huge problem tho, just a small annoyance at times.​

u5w93Dh.png

27. The Messenger: Picnic Panic (PC) | 24th Jan - 3hrs | 4/5 | 100% Completion

Prior knowledge:
Nothing about the DLC specifically.​

The positives:
It's more of the same good stuff. Not much else to say really. It was fun. The returning characters made me happy.​

The negatives:
I didn't like the areas as much and I would have liked it more if it included some new upgrade or something that switched everything up a bit.​

PlJjit3.png

28. Glass Masquerade (PC) | 25th Jan - 5hrs | 5/5 | 100% Completion

Prior knowledge:
I've played all but the latest DLC before and the DLCs only add new puzzles of the same kind.​

The positives:
This is one of my favorite puzzle games because I am a huge fan of jigsaw puzzles in any shape or form. The pictures you assemble with the stained glass looking pieces are absolutely marvelous and in this game they are themed after countries which is neat.​

The negatives:
I was only gonna play the newest DLC but it ended up being less than an hour long for me. I decided to replay the whole game with all DLCs to feel it was meaty enough to count. That still only took me 5 hours because the game is so easy. I wish they would add the hard mode from the sequel.​

2fofchK.png

29. Glass Masquerade 2: Illusions - Temptations DLC (PC) | 25th Jan - 3hrs | 5/5 | 100% Completion

Prior knowledge:
Had played the main game to completion before.​

The positives:
This sort of nightmare themed sequel has some less special pictures than the first game but they are still very interesting to put together. The theme of the DLC worked very well for this art style and I enjoy this game's hard mode so much. Actually having to rotate the pieces myself makes it feel like a true puzzle and the reason this game is slightly better than the first one. The DLC felt meaty enough for the price and I am very satisfied with it all!​

The negatives:
Can't think of a thing to put here. Go play it!​

JhymRcF.png

30. NieR (PS3) | 26th Jan - 30hrs | 4/5 | All Endings

Prior knowledge:
I knew a bit about the themes explored in the game, a little about some of the characters and how the ending system worked. A friend has raved about this game since it released and written many interesting blog posts about it over the years.​

The positives:
This game is pretty bonkers and I greatly enjoyed most of my time with it. The second run was extremely good and really tugged at the ol' heartstrings. The combat is fine and it looks okay for its time, but the music... the music! So good. Really glad I finally played it.​

The negatives:
Alright, rant time. It doesn't matter that Kainé has a "reason" to be (un)dressed like that, it's still one of the worst designs I've ever seen. Especially whatever is supposed to sit on her buttocks. The camera going almost into this barely covered butt during a couple of scenes just makes it even more ridiculous. Someone said her outfit makes her look "more naked than if she had not worn clothes at all" and I get it. Ugh! But enough about Kainé and her in-your-face gluteal cleft, let's also complain about the last playthrough. It feels redundant. The endings are worth it but I don't see the point in forcing the player to do what the game requires for ending C and D. They could have been reached in other ways that would have been more interesting.​

watdaeff4

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I could probably never do this because of time restraints, but I wish everyone good luck!

For people who have finished this challenge before:

Do you feel you gravitate towards shorter games in order to complete this challenge or do you just play whatever? I feel my problem lies in that I choose my games rather sporadically, which mixes in extra lengthy games every now and then.
I've done a mix. Unfortunately I rarely get into more than 1 or 2 really long (i.e. >60 hours) games just because I start to lose interest - I was that way even before I started doing these challenges.

So far this year I platinumed two of the Ezio Triology games which took some time, so now just to change things up, I'm working on some smaller games along with Mass Effect 2.

Bing-Bong

Banned
Feb 1, 2019
February begins with Teslagrad!

9cdrJDj.png

An easy but frustrating game.
Has beautiful visuals, great music and good mechanic ideas, but for a platformer that requires some precision on it's jumps it feels kinda "floaty", some puzzles require more luck that ability to get through.

Do i recommend playing it? If you can get through some frustrating segments, yeah, totally. It's good.

-------------------------------------------------------------
------------------

Main post

Sillen2000

Oct 1, 2019
Main Post

January update: 2/52

Certainly not the efficient start I had hoped for, but with visiting my parents (who live on the complete opposite of the country from where I live atm) after new years and second semester of journalism school really taking up my time, I didn't really have either the energy nor the motivation to finish more than two games. Hopefully it'll get better later on because I really need to cut that backlog down to a more reasonable size!

Two games are still two games, though, so here they are:

cWVGByC.jpg

1. January 14th | Yakuza Kiwami | Playstation 4 | 10h 33m | Replay | ☆☆☆(/5)

Replayed this on Legend to get the platinum trophy, and my feelings are about the same as when I first played it in 2018 - it's okay!
Kiwami starts out pretty strong, but I feel like both the gameplay and story got gradually worse the longer I played. The premise is interesting on paper, but told in a pretty poor (pretty PS2) way, and almost all the revelations during the game's, like, two final chapters are at best "okay" and usually pretty bad. Also a surprising amount of filler for such a relatively short game?

Gameplay is pretty much the same as 0, but for some reason every style feels worse, and there are so many annoying mob fights where you're just bouncing from side to side, trying to avoid getting stunlocked into another overlong combo. It's not really difficult, but really annoying. The healing bosses didn't annoy me that much, but it's not like I'm going to praise it either. Final battle is amazing though, both from a story, gameplay and music perspective.

The Majima Everywhere system should work, but mainly felt tedious during new game+. He appears way too often, the fights are way too long and tedious (except the fist fights where he's extremely easy to counter), and unlike, say, Mr. Shakedown, there's no monetary reward from defeating him. Whenever I heard the Majima alarm, I just went into nearest restaurant to make it to reset his position.

The side stories are okay, but 99% of them went in the exact same "I'm a scammer, give me money. No? Okay, let's fight!" direction, which was a little disappointing. Mini games are all pretty great (never did get good at pool though), which isn't surprising since thy're basically the exact same as 0. I probably put more time in playing Mahjong than the main story! Bug Battle is somehow even more embarrassing to play than 0's catfights though.

I know that I'm probably comparing too much to 0, but when a game uses basically the exact same assets, has the same battle system, the same mini games, reuses some of the music, and even has a variation of that awful drivin' & shootin' chapter, it's hard not to.

So yeah, decent game. Nothing amazing, but if you enjoy the Yakuza series then it's definitely worth a shot. Just don't expect anything as great as, well, basically every other game in the series, but also know that it has Tonight which is probably the second best karaoke song in the entire series.

KLns2hx.jpg

2. January 21th | Pokémon Sword | Nintendo Switch | 26h 56m | ☆☆☆

I mean, it's basically just more Pokémon. That's not a bad thing, but it's been a long time since it's been a great thing either. That's okay though, because it's a great game to just relax with. Just shut your mind off after a long day and catch some Pokémon, battle trainers and travel through a nice and varied region (though graphically poor, I found the art direction really strong in this one). Yeah it's easy, yeah two of the three rivals are underdeveloped, and yeah the pokedex is incomplete, but that never really bothered me during the journey.

The new Pokémon designs are surprisingly great! There are some that I like every generation (there's so many that it's hard to not find at least one to like), but I haven't really been vibing with most Pokémon since maybe gen 4. I blame nostalgia for that, but also because designs like Swoobat's just make me tired of this whole franchise. Boltund though? 5/5, even though I admit it's basically just a white/yellow dog.

I never really liked playing Sun in part because there were cutscenes at the beginning and end of like every route and town, and that coupled with the fact that they just seemed to never end were really poorly written didn't exactly make me keen to keep playing (though I did eventually beat it). Maybe I'm just older and more patient now, but the story here felt a lot better written (though not exactly "good"), and probably a thousand times better paced. A certain character's motivations got a bit strange during the climax, but overall it was a fun romp through Galar that at least never got in the way of my overall enjoyment.

Wild Areas were probably the game's biggest talking point, but I found them to be a bid disappointing. They looked too samey, and made up such a small part of the game that they didn't really add anything to the experience except the amazing sensation of getting to control the camera myself.

Wasn't really a fan of the game's really forced road blocks either. Team Yell are defeated constantly throughout the story, but they still block certain roads until the game says it's okay for you to go there. I guess it was pretty strange that routes would be blocked by tiny tress in previous games, but it still felt a lot more natural to not be able to progress until you got a certain move, instead of the game just deciding that you can't go there yet. This is probably an extreme nitpick, but it annoyed me every time it happened.

The music though? Amazing. Probably the best it's been since gen 2. Just some quick examples:
Gym Leader Battle
Marnie Battle
Stow-On-Side

Maybe you'll like this game and maybe you won't. I don't know. It's nothing spectacular, but at least I had a good time. Others didn't. I guess that's just the way of the world.

That's it! Two games and a lot of words to describe my experiences with them. Played the KH3 DLC as well, but I can't really count that as its own game.

Currently playing
Wargroove
The House in Fata Morgana

Last edited:

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
8. Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow - 01/02/2020

A bite-sized chunk of Metroidvania goodness. I played it to death as a kid and blazed through it all in one go today. My only real complaint is the RNG necessary to progress through the game due to the soul stealing mechanic.

Last edited:

Rirse

Jun 29, 2019
Today game of the day is Civilization VI for the Switch

jmXPbLi.jpg

1yhYZaZ.jpg

Yeah I wanted to do this one after playing the SNES release for the original. I really like this version after the two expansions, which finally got released on the Switch a few months ago. And yeah I am using the same CIV again.

PUNQ

Apr 18, 2018
Norway

49472599286_4b582d553c.jpg

24. FAR: Lone Sails
★★★★
4hrs

This was such a unique journey. You mainly operate this weird steampunk ship, and while the game play is simple, it's such a satisfying mechanic. The main allure is it's look and landscapes, creating a space of wonder as you push your way through to a destination unknown. A well-balanced experience, one that leaves an impression.

49472820752_c1e5f9d768.jpg

25. Ice Climber
★★★
2hrs

Ice Climber was one of the first NES games I had, and was always a favorite to put in. Therefore I was fairly good at it, but I've never cleared all 32 mountains and that was the goal this time now that I have it on the Switch. Early on the mountains offer different kinds of challenges, but I was disappointed in the lack of variety in the latter half. It's more those damn birds that come faster and faster at you that becomes the main challenge. Still a title I enjoy playing.

49472599201_ca6b03f8d3.jpg

26. Lydia
★★½
1hr

Lydia isn't so much a game as a interactive story. One where a person has picked a selection of random scenes from her childhood which symbolizes the unhappiness of her youth. While you're supposed to feel sorry for the child, because it's very clear this couple where not ready to have children, and a typical example that BOTH parents should have a say when a accident does happens, this does feel like a revenge from the storyteller. Or perhaps simply closure. There are valuable points to the story seen from a child perspective and does make a mark.

49472599066_2c5e69b310.jpg

27. Squidlit
★★
40min

Squidlit is little more than a Gameboy tribute with a decent doze of spoof humor. Good fun, but over in no-time. Don't understand why they didn't make just a few more levels once they had the format down to make the length a little more satisfying, because this was a blink and then it's over type experience.

49472111293_e392475ff0.jpg

28. Miniature - The Story Puzzle
★½
40min

Another super short experience. One where you have to put series of 5 pictures in the right order to tell a story. Decent enough stressed-down time-waster that doesn't offer enough challenge or content.

49472111283_d3296b2027.jpg

29. One Person Story
★★½
1hr 30min

One Person Story is a simple button-timing upward platformer. What I liked was that it always changes up it's mechanics, keeping things fresh on a very basic formula. A short one, but considering the game style, the length was just about right.

49472820862_73a2a0e0a6.jpg

30. Bulb Boy
★★★
4hrs

Bulb Boy has a lovely greenish style and fun puzzles in a cartoony horror world. Not the greatest of game plays, but it's a very creative idea and one I appreciated.

49472111503_a6810ac379.jpg

31. Balthazar's Dream
★★½
3hrs

Here is a very random choice. Balthazar's Dream, a story of a dog going into a dream to save his owner from dying. Turned up on the eShop with a hefty discount, and I ended up checking it out. This is basically a pixel dog platformer. And it was good enough for me to keep playing, even if the platforming was a little frustrating. Cute idea with a story keeping things interesting.

49472599106_a64d60e9a2.jpg

32. SEGA AGES Shinobi
★★★½
3hrs

Shinobi was probable the arcade game I put the most coins into as a kid, and now that SEGA AGES has come out with it's version, I HAD to do it all over again. A lovely game. It's difficult level is accessible and game play fluid for it's age. Won't be the last time I play this one.

49472820452_26c1282f0b.jpg

33. Type:Rider
★★★
3hrs

Type:Rider is one of those dot platformers that there are quite a few of out there. What makes this a little bit different is that it's TWO dots attached to each other and it's quite cleverly intertwined with a world based on the history of fonts. Cool variant in this style.

49472599276_a472b5408a.jpg

34. Elli
★★★½
8hrs

Elli is a beautiful puzzle platformer which got kinda lost in the flood of releases on the Switch. While the few that reviewed it claimed it was a little bland, something about it captured my imagination and I've been eager to play it. I wasn't disappointed. To me it came across as fairly ambitious. Not perfect, but the puzzles works and come at a fluid pace and to me the worlds were always interesting. Definitely didn't deserve to be written off as quickly as it was.

49472599031_d0b8b37fe8.jpg

35. Thimbleweed Park
★★★★
23hrs

Thimbleweed Park... the game I spent the most time on so far this year. Loved it as it caters to my point & click heart, but damn did I get stuck a lot! Could't get my head around the logic in this crazy town. But in this bizarre setting I wouldn't have it any other way!

49472820822_939f31f43e.jpg

36. Double Dragon
★★½
2hrs

Finally I mashed my way through the original Double Dragon! Was a little surprised that the second half of the game was more platforming than kicking and punching, but at least it didn't make the game as repetitive as first feared.

49472111463_a4d285816e.jpg

37. Double Dragon II: The Revenge
★★
1hr

Double Dragon II was actually disappointing compared to the first one. Sure, it had a graphic upgrade, but the combat was made frustrating with the reverses punch/kick mechanism. Glad it was over as quick as it was.

49472598946_67b05a45d6.jpg

38. Typoman
★★★★
6hrs

The atmosphere of Typoman was excellent! When incorporated to full effect is this this spelling puzzle pltformer, it more than made up for it's somewhat clunky controls. Dramatic and heart-pumping. Brilliant concept! Really enjoyed my time with this.

49472111173_b723fb2724.jpg

39. Toki Tori
★★½
8hrs

Don't get fooled by Toki Tori's cute presentation. This is a grueling puzzle game! Half of it is fun, but the harder levels are so mathematically precise that it takes the fun out of the puzzling.

49472820597_7119a7252e.jpg

40. Secret Files Sam Peters
★★
4hrs

I did both Secret Files 1 & 2 last year, so I'll continue the franchise with Secret Files Sam Peters, which is more like a smaller spin-off experience of the main series. Same type of point & click puzzle solving and not too difficult. Not the most engaging or well-written stories, but a fine bite-size adventure.

49472669701_632d21f6d2.jpg

41 - Momonga Pinball Adventures
★★½
3hrs

Love me some pinball adventure, but this was no Yuku's Island Express. There is enjoyment to have with the various kinds of small levels, even if it's very uneven in all aspects. Just a cuty pinball diversion.

49476533601_b6595a0113.jpg

42. Assault Android Cactus+
★★★★
5hrs

Me and my 9 year old stepdaughter was trying to find a game to do co-op with, as we haven't done much gaming together in a while, and we ended up trying Assault Android Cactus+ and it ended up being one of the best father/daughter bonding time we've ever had! A intense 5-hour session blasting our way through a bazillion robots and dodging bullets like mad. Never thought a bullet-hell massacre would be such positive fun-time!

--PUNQ--

Rirse

Jun 29, 2019
Since it Groundhog Day, I made today game another time loop based media.

hE8pLCe.jpg

Essx7j7.jpg

I last beat this on the 3DS version (which I liked minus a few changes), but it nice to revisit the N64 version again. Likely beat it since it doesn't take me long to finish the game due to generally remembering a lot of the puzzle solutions.

Deleted member 1265

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
fatyoshi - 5/52 games (3 new, 2 replays)

0di1eON.png

Game 1 – Resident Evil 2 (2019) (PS4) – 5h 23m – 3/5

Slowly starting to click with me more as I gain more familiarity. Using the unlimited knife to permanently down zombies so they don't get up again in problem spots helps a lot.

Still wish there was more to differentiate the scenarios (especially the second ones) and that some of the bosses were less bad but what can you do.

jbKZwp7.png

Game 2 – Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice (XB1) – 6h 33m – 3.5/5

I'm stressed.

An absolute master class of sound design, especially when using solid headphones. In addition to a great narrative that has solid mental health representation.

The actual gameplay itself (and some of the jankiness that came with it) leaves a bit more to be desired but never enough so to take away from the above.

Absolutely worth a look if the themes on display aren't a concern and you aren't averse to hack n slash gameplay.

nE2jILy.png

Game 3 – Resident Evil 0 (PC) – 2h 2m – 2.5/5

It's RE0. Much more tolerable when replaying with prior knowledge of how the game is. Still not a favorite of mine but it isn't a complete drag to revisit when doing a series run through anymore.

xLjSp0c.png

Game 4 – Lost in Blue (DS) – 10h 42m – 3/5

I've owned this since launch or close to and I'm just now beating it fifteen years later. When I originally started up this most recent attempt, I thought my memories of this game being brutal in terms of difficulty were just hyperbolic thoughts remaining from my teens but no it really is ruthless at times.

There's a lot of satisfaction to be found here in various gameplay elements (exploring the island, building furniture for your cave, fishing, improving your cooking, hunting, etc.) if you can get past what feels like the full time job of taking care of your two characters. Dealing with the energy, hunger, and thirst bars is hanging over your head at all times but it gets easier to deal with it all in time. Will most people stick with this long enough to get into the groove for it to make island exploration/progress easier? Probably not but that's okay, it's an acquired taste.

I will say that the whole bit where you have to travel across pretty much the whole island to do a series of ten or so pushing block puzzles is absolutely wack. I made one attempt to do this whole gauntlet of mess and got back to my cave with 1% health, an empty hunger bar, and a low energy and thirst one. If I died at that point I probs would've just dropped the game completely. Not sure what the idea for that whole thing was but it's Bad.

Looking forward to returning to 2 and 3 eventually. Maybe the Wii game as well.

xULyCSE.png

Game 5 – Super Mario Bros. (NES) – ~1h 30m – 2.5/5

Respect is due for what this did for the medium but that's about as far as it goes for me. This isn't all that fun to play and there's all of the Mario games that came after this that you can go with instead.

World 3 has great aesthetics at least.

LonestarZues

Oct 27, 2017
Master Post

Weekly Update 5 - 2 more games this week.

6. Baldur's Gate - Loved going into new unexplored areas and finding new quests, companions, treasure, etc. The combat was ok and the story wasn't bad, but not great either. With that said I can't wait to playthe expansion and sequel.

7. Chrono Trigger - 1st playthrough in over a decade and the game still holds up. The music and combat system are great. The story while simple is really well told and I love when you do something in the past it carries over into the future.

Currently Playing:
Death Stranding - Chapter 8 and about 50 hours in.

TheOneJat

Oct 1, 2018
Master Post edited. 20/52 now. Played Gris and Bit Trip Runner 2 to completion this weekend and really enjoyed both. Also made 2 chapters worth of progression in GoW: Judgement.

19. Gris - Short, sweet and beautiful. Not overly complicated just a really peaceful playthrough. 4/5

20. Bit Trip Runner 2 - Played this through when it first released and enjoyed it just as much this time round. Decent amount of unlockables and secrets to be found. Offers a fair bit of content for anyone looking to 100% it. 3/5

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Never posted a January update, so here we go:

I also managed to finish up the Platinum for Death Stranding this year, which means my current Platinum count for 2020 is a whopping 3. For contrast, most years my average is probably 1 for the whole year. I knew those Persona dancing games would be good for something!

My two picks for January are Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order and River City Girls. Strangely, both are on the hard side for me, and usually I don't like hard games; I often feel drained by them, rather than exhilarated by the challenge. Both games managed to be just difficult enough to make victory feel rewarding and hard-earned, without feeling like I was spending my leisure time punishing myself repeatedly. I'm not sure if I'm ready for a Souls-like yet, but Jedi Fallen Order has at least given me what I think is a taste of what that might be like, and I'm more open to the idea now. As for River City Girls, I've always been down with brawlers (though bad at them), and it's the spiritual successor to the Scott Pilgrim game I've always wanted and more. It oozes with style and charm, and aside from having a really rough time with the first boss, I enjoyed pretty much every minute.

I've already finished two games in February, so I'm in a good spot! The theme for the beginning of the year has been digging up old and unfinished games from the backlog, and February will likely be no exception; I plan to return to Metro Exodus and I haven't spent enough time with the new port of Atelier Ayesha, so those are my two big focuses. I'll also be trying my hand at The Sexy Brutale for the 52 Games monthly game club. In a way, having so many major games abandon the first few months of the year has been a blessing for my backlog, and I'm quite happy for the opportunity to clean house a bit.

FRANKEINSTEIN

Oct 27, 2017
AZ
chaos_logo.png

10. Chaos on Deponia (PS4) Feb 2 5 Hrs ★★
Well I liked it more than Deponia but not much more. I'd buy 3 & 4 but they got to be cheap. Like $5 or less cheap

Everywhere

Banned
Jun 12, 2019
I spend way too much time in games like LOL, Monster Hunter and soon Animal Crossing. They don't really have an ending so I just keep playing them forever. Hard for me to commit to this 52 games challenge hahah, but I'll try.

This weekend I finished Telling Lies and A Plague Tale.

Next weekend I'll resume Vesperia. Who knows when I'm gonna finish it though. ._.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
header.jpg

Game #3 - Doom (2016) Switch Version
Time: 10 hours

One of my favorite First Person Shooters ever, this replay on the Switch this time doesnt change that, and the amazing port is a achievement on to itself. Game wise, it's still the balls to the wall fast frenetic shooter that we got back in 2016, super fun to play, amazing campaign with great level variety, and it's really something to play this portable on Switch, because besides looking a little soft (very soft sometimes), it still manages to look absolutely fantastic and something I never imagined a portable could do. Just an awesome game wherever you play it.

Main Post

Oct 27, 2017
January Update

Main Post

1. Trails of Cold Steel 2 (PS4 - 55 hours) January 2nd : Didn't like as much as the first, which is why I ran through it much quicker
2. Frog Detective 2: The Case of the Invisible Wizard (PC - 1 hour) January 6th : Funny and short, I can't wait for the next one
3. Yakuza 3 (PS4 - 30 hours) January 12th : Slowly getting through the series, I thought this had the weakest story, and it for sure shows it's age
4. Leaving Lyndow (PC - 30 minutes) January 17th : Boring, only played it because I plan to play Eastshade sometime this year
5. Qora (PC - 2 hours) January 18th : Interesting, not sure what the message was at the end, but it looked cool
6. Gato Roboto (PC - 3 hours) January 19th : Really fun, wish it was a bit longer with more upgrades
7. The Hex (PC - 3 hours) January 24th : I thought this was kinda boring. I didn't go for the secret ending, couldn't be bothered
8. Shantae: Half-Genie Hero (PC - 6 hours) January 26th : First Shantae game, so I was surprised at how it was a fun and visually pleasing platformer

Oct 27, 2017
Main Post

6. Super Mario 3D Land- 3DS
Completed 1/16/20
Score - 8/10

Back and forth between a 7 or an 8 on this one. Some levels felt boring and average while others were inventive and a lot of fun. It still oozes the Mario charm but it felt like it was missing something. It was overall pretty easy and most of the bosses were standard and simple. After playing Yoshi's Island earlier this year and currently playing the random game Super Princess Peach on DS I am finding the side games to have much better boss fights. Why can't they break the mold a bit on the main Mario games?

8441bed687b27aae504af85242d6fde5071f18c9.jpg

7. Batman: Arkham VR - PSVR
Completed 1/17/20
Score - 8/10

Completed this when I first got the PSVR and felt ok about it. Cool experience but not much more. As I am getting back into VR I decided to try and get 100% of the trophies and find all the riddler's riddles. This actually made me appreciate the game so much more. I felt like a detective going through the levels trying to find the hidden tricks and solve the riddles. I am glad I went back and gave it another go. Fun VR experience.

b8eda70d1b7f9fffade3fe4feb0f50ba42bee28c.jpg

8. Star Wars: Jedi - Fallen Order - PS4
Completed 2/1/20
Score - 8/10

JANK FEST! This game was all over the place for me. I went in thinking Dark Souls Star Wars and expected it to be a 10/10. The combat felt too janky and difficult to truly control/master and I was left confused. It felt like a chore to play and I found the main character to be super average. I think this might also have one of the worst map systems that I have used. The only worse one I can think of is for that crap game Hollow. About midway through things changed I started coming around and the exploration started to finally excite me. I began to ignore the map and played it more like Uncharted or Tomb Raider. The boss fights were exciting and the story started to grab me a bit more. While the combat never clicked, mostly everything else did. I think it needed more time in development. Glad to see it sold well because I want to see them take it a step further especially with Next Gen power. Outside of that...conflicted on the ending.

header.jpg

9. Super Mario Bros. Lost Levels - Switch
Completed 2/2/20
Score - 7/10

Not as hard as the posts I have been reading recently but still a tricky platformer. The last few worlds feel like they are designed to solely F with the player. I did really enjoy it and beat it only rewinding on a tricky jump later in the game.(I really have trouble with the spring jump on the old Mario games) In the end, my heart goes to the US verision of Mario 2. It felt more advanced and fun. This felt more like a hardcore DLC package to the original. Glad I played it but I'm glad we got SMB 2 in the US.

Mariobros2japanbox.jpg

Last edited:

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
27. Costume Quest
D0-2A53WsAAXpjm.jpg

PC version having 30 FPS lock is disappointing, and while the game's combat system is pretty simple, I still enjoy it for the Double Fine humor and writing.
A short and servicable turn based RPG and the Halloween theme is neatly utilized along with having charming writing IMO.

28. Horizon Chase Turbo: Summer Vibes (DLC)
48350145177_3708d4cb85.jpg

This was a set of increasingly challenging races as you go through them with driving an Outrun Ferrari Testarossa Spider inspired car. Getting first place in certain races unlocks more colours for the car too (pretty sure the car itself is part of this dlc too), although that gets harder in later races due to faster cars whose patterns and the race track you need to properly plan when to use your turbos on to get a strong lead.
Best played AFTER the main campaign due to its difficulty, though unlocking the extra colours for the car (Breeze) might still be worth it early on :P

Last edited:

TheOneJat

Oct 1, 2018
Master post edited. 21/52.

21. Gears of War: Judgment - Love the gears games and this is the start of me playing through the series again. Not a massive fan of the turret/defend sections though. 3/5

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
13: Shadow of the Tomb Raider. End: 2/3/2020. 19 hours. Between a Meh and a Liked.

You ever play the third game in a reboot franchise and hover between it being comfort food and being tired of the same thing again and again? What was once a new and interesting take on the Tomb Raider franchise just felt kind of "meh" by this entry at times. And I missed Lara's friend Sam. I have no idea why they got rid of her. I didn't care about any of Lara's other friends.

I am now 1/4th of the way through this year's 52 game challenge.

Aniki

Oct 25, 2017
Main Post

#3 A Plaque Tale: Innocence (PC Game Pass) | 3rd Feb | 4/5

Through 2019 i heard a lot of praise for this game, so when i started my playthrough i had high expectations for this game. Happy to report it did not disappoint. The game is pretty linear, and you can't much interact with the environment. Two points i usually don't like that much, but just like with the earlier Metro games, the great story and characters helped me get over those flaws very fast. There was not one play session where i was not interested in what was happening. The siblings had a great dynamic and i loved seeing them grow closer to each other.

One thing i really appreciated is how Amicia is portayed in this game. Quite often you will find that the main character is portrayed as someone who hates to hurt people but the gameplay makes you kill lots and lots of people anyway, creating a dissonance between the two. It's not something that would make me quit a game, far from it, but it is still nice to have a game once in a while where the gameplay and story are in harmony with each other.

Gameplay is quite basic. You are stealthily traversing the levels, while making use of an assortment of tools to get around enemies and the rats. The farther you get into the game the more tools you will unlock. You can also upgrade them which gives you an incentive to search the levels for materials. If an enemy sees you it's not instant game over, though in the earlier levels you don't have much to get away once spotted. Later in the game you will have a lot more options. I personally had no problems with the boss fights and though the last one took me a few tries until i figured it out, i see nothing wrong with that. It's the last boss fight after all.

Loved my time with this game and can fully recommend it to anyone who enjoys a nice narrative and can live with gameplay being somewhat basic.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
29. Sky Force Anniversary
AtF8c4T.jpg

A shoot'em-up with some nice visuals but said visuals make discerning enemy shots difficult at times. The game consists of 8 main stages and 1 bonus stage, with each stage able to award the player with up to 4 medals depending on their performance during a stage; one for destroying 70% of enemies, 100% of enemies, saving all prisoners in a stage, and for taking 0 damage. Getting all medals in a stage unlocks a harder difficulty that has another set of 4 medals to unlock as well.

The game actually locks stages behind a gatewall of sorts; a set number of medals must be earned to unlock later stages, and thankfully due to the harder difficulty medals it can make getting the set number required more easier to achieve.

Despite its low number of stages, the game has an upgrade system that strengthens your shots and health as well as extra power ups that can help in making certain sections less tedious. However a large number of star points would be needed to get the most out of these upgrades which could result in the player replaying stages in order to have a good amount to max out these upgrades.

While early stages are quite easy to get 4 medals in, the later stages do up the difficulty and require memorization in order to 100% them. A nice shoot'em-up overall IMO, but the visuals while nice can work against the player @_@

30. Who's That Flying?!
14633.jpg

So this was a shoot'em-up I've been wanting to play since the Vita days. You play as a galactic hero with an arm canon and generally he doesn't take damage, but if 50 aliens get past him, then the city he is defending gets destroyed resulting in a game over for that level.
If the player manages to clear the stage without letting any aliens get past they can earn a higher score, which is a good incentive to test one's skills.

Mind you the game got harder in the later stages as the game also includes enemies that can stun or hinder shooting down the main aliens that need to be shot down, which really require some good focus to be able to clear stages (and boss fights).

While gameplay-wise it is quite good, I didn't like some of the humor in the game
like the prison rape joke @_@

Last edited:

Dyna

Nov 1, 2017
Finland
Finally I have some time to write about the first batch of games I've completed. Five in January, not bad! Let's see if I can keep this pace up throughout the year.

My main post.

uBhezo6.png

1 | Never Alone (Kisima Ingitchuna) | Xbox One
3.5 hours | Completed January 1st

Kicked off the new year with this little puzzle-platformer that I got through Games With Gold at some point. Never Alone tells a story of a little girl and an arctic fox, based on folklore of the Iñupiat people. This game was actually surprisingly educational, you unlock short documentary clips throughout the game that explain the culture, traditions and beliefs of the Iñupiat, told by the Iñupiat themselves. This was definitely the most intriguing part of the game for me and it was a very refreshing and welcome addition to the game.

Unfortunately, the game itself is not really anything to write home about, some easy puzzles here and there and average platforming (with slightly floaty controls) but that's pretty much it. Also, without spoiling anything about the story, I did not like a certain gameplay mechanic introduced in the last hour or so. I'd still recommend giving this one a try if you're interested in puzzle-platformers, the story is nice and the educational aspect of the game was genuinely fascinating.

wA2JZ1G.png

2 | Chasm | Switch
17 hours | Completed January 7th

A procedurally generated metroidvania sounds like an odd idea so I was a bit skeptical of this one, but I decided to give it a try anyway and picked it up during the Christmas eShop sales. Turns out I was right to be skeptical, at least with this game in particular... The levels are randomly generated at the beginning of the game through a randomized seed, but nothing actually changes during your playthrough so I was honestly a bit confused by the whole thing, their main gimmick doesn't really serve the game any proper purpose. I mainly wanted to check this game out because I enjoy metroidvanias and the pixel art looked nice, but the more I played of it the more I started to really dislike it.

The music is very, very plain and mediocre chiptune, the movement and the combat (which are both heavily influenced by Castlevania: Symphony of the Night's gameplay) lack variety even with all the moves and different weapons unlocked, the story is super uninteresting etc. I think the absolute worst thing about the game is how incomplete, poorly fleshed out and/or carelessly crafted every system in the game is. You have basic gold currency that you need way more of than you get from even the late game enemies, the basic items simply cost way too much. You can have enchanted variants of weapons and armour but it seems to be completely random whether you receive those or not, the leveling up is simply a boring HP/MP raise, the invulnerability window after taking damage is ridiculously short, enemies aggro way too hard on you - especially the goddamn small spiders. It's just a ton of different little mechanics that technically are in the game, yes, but it's all just so bare minimum in every way so why even bother exploring any of it.

This was funded on Kickstarter for more than six(!) times the amount of money Hollow Knight's campaign received, but comparing the two - which I think is completely fair in this case - it certainly does not show in the game. Only play this if you're absolutely starving for metroidvanias, otherwise steer clear.

dXE5C3A.png

3 | Dante's Inferno | Xbox 360
7.5 hours | Completed January 14th

Hack and slash games are not my favourite genre but every once in a while I just want to mash buttons, slice up a ton of enemies, and have a good time. I browsed through the hack and slash games in my collection and decided to revisit Dante's Inferno since it had been more than eight years since my last playthrough and it's one of the more underrated/overlooked games from last gen in my opinion. Dante's Inferno was definitely EA's attempt to create their very own God of War and it (perhaps deservedly) received quite a bit of flak for, err, heavily drawing inspiration from said series, but I still thoroughly enjoyed it when I played it.

The source material is interesting and Visceral Games did a great job bringing the different circles of hell to life with their gruesome monster designs and menacing boss fights. The combat is fairly challenging and the relics and skills add some variety to the mix which is nice, no major complaints with Dante's movement either. All in all, Dante's Inferno is still a very solid hack and slash game that is very adult and serious in tone, I would have loved to see a sequel taking place in purgatory but, unfortunately, it seems highly unlikely at this point. Bummer! Give this one a try if you're into hack and slash games.

xsvLcn4.png

4 | Resident Evil 4 | Xbox One
17 hours | Completed January 24th

I think Resident Evil might be one of my favourite video game series of all time. The thought hadn't really crossed my mind before but every main game in the series that I've played - especially this one - has been an entertaining and fun experience. I remember playing Resident Evil 4 a lot on the PS2 but I never actually finished it so when I noticed it was on Xbox Game Pass only until the first of February, I decided to finally play through it. I'm glad I did because the game was every bit as great as I remembered and it felt so damn good to finally get to the third act of the game and finish the campaign! There are a ton of little things that have not aged too gracefully for sure but honestly, I couldn't care less. The complete package is just such a wild ride all the way through filled with memorable characters and scenes, moments of ridiculous joy and terror, and fantastic and crazy levels.

I know RE4 raises some mixed feelings among the fans of the series because of the drastically different gameplay mechanics but I absolutely loved the change of style in this game. Aiming the pistol's laser dot feels satisfying as hell and suplexing parasite-ridden enemies to the ground is just the cherry on top. The movement - as nimble as Leon can be while jumping out of a window or during a QTE - is still quite clunky, but I didn't mind the tank controls in the original games and it does not bother me in RE4 either. I could go on and on about how great even the small things in the game are, like the shady teleporting merchant, organizing your inventory (aka inventory Tetris!), or how you can kick multiple Plagas at once, but then this wall of text would never end so I'll just conclude my thoughts with this: Resident Evil 4 is an absolutely brilliant one of a kind video game that every one who considers themselves a fan of action and/or survival horror games should experience. Five out of five stars, no doubt about it.

ejKibbY.png

5 | Team Sonic Racing | Switch
~8 hours | Completed January 25th

This was such a big disappointment from the moment it was revealed to its launch. Why oh why could Sumo Digital and SEGA not just make a proper sequel to Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed I don't know, but literally nothing about this game was better than its predecessor... They removed the transforming vehicles and levels, the new team mechanic adds fuck all to the game, the non-race challenges (Boost Race, Daredevil, Ring Race etc.) feel oddly inconsistent in their difficulty, the story mode is short and dull, and, like I already said, they removed all the other SEGA characters and levels from this one for fuck's sake!

Argh. Okay, now that the rant part is over I will say that this is still a competent kart racing game. It's just that all the aforementioned things heavily lower the game's final grade in my eyes but for a Sonic the Hedgehog fan and/or someone looking for a decent kart game Team Sonic Racing will do just fine. Also the soundtrack is actually pretty great, I'll give it that. But yeah, rather pick up Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed, an actually awesome kart racing game with an amazing roster of characters and hours of fun races.

- - -

Whew! That's a lot of text. I'm currently playing Super Mario 3D Land, Resident Evil - Code: Veronica X and Felix the Reaper, hopefully you'll be able to read my thoughts on at least one of those within a month!

Last edited:

Spyware

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Making good progress this year I feel! No idea how some are already at 20+, but good job!
Short games as others said, but also less work/family time, maybe no other time-consuming hobbies and such. You can't really compare someone's results to someone else's because no one has the same life as someone else.

So when someone looks at my number, sees that I don't play only short games and wonder how I manage to beat so many games anyway, they have to remember that my life might look drastically different to theirs.

Rirse

Jun 29, 2019
Think from now on I will post these day every two or three days with the games played group together.

For February 3rd, I played Catrap for the Gameboy.

awf6TXf.jpg

c2pzt9V.jpg

I never played this when it came out and only came aware of it from channels like My Life in Gaming and Jeremy Perish featuring it and showing the game to be a charming puzzle game. I rather like it a lot and wish I had it back in the day.

sKCOKwN.jpg

R2CNtfj.jpg

Today game was Jak & Daxter for the PS2, being played on the PS3 remaster. Game is still fun even if I get stump a little at times, as I have no idea how to reach the pillar in the middle of the water there or reach the pad in the middle with the blue echo in time.

Lobotomaxx

Dec 30, 2019
Nebraska
8/52

VBqs8jr.jpg

#8: Anodyne (beaten 2/4/20) | Steam | 3/5 | 6 hours
This game is a Zelda-esque puzzle-like game. While there are dungeons and health upgrades you get by beating bosses, there's only a couple of weapons/upgrades to get. The combat was pretty easy since there weren't multiple weapons and eventually you can get enough health to where you can sort of brute force your way through fights. It wasn't until several hours in I realized the portals in the hub zone had a light above them which would indicate if you got all the collectable cards in that particular zone. The final upgrade lets you swap one piece with another which got me stuck in multiple walls and space where I couldn't get myself out of and I had to respawn. There are a handful of extra cards to collect after you beat the game for an extra achievement.

Main Post

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
header.jpg

Game #4 - Bomb Chicken
Time: 4 hours

What a wonderful little gem this was. Fantastic puzzle platformer with some deceptively simple gameplay (literally a one button game) with great level design, really good 2d art and great sound design, its just a joy to play, a joy to look at, and at 4-5 hours long depending on how much of a completionist you are, it doesnt overstay it's welcome. One of those games you can't really say anything bad about and highly recomended for fans of 2d puzzle platformers.

header.jpg

Game #5 - One Piece Pirate Warriors 3
Time: 15 hours

Another musou down, and much like the Fate Extella game before, I had a lot of fun but it's starting to feel like I'm playing these games wrong. I only care about the story modes, which granted seem quite beefy in these games (this was 15 hours and Fate was like 25) but it always feels like the story modes are just a means to unlock a bunch of characters for side modes that I have no interest in playing. Still,. great performance on Switch portable, looks and sounds good, has a ton of moves to get and if you know One Piece, the story follows it pretty faithfully (except for the last level in Dressrosa for some reason), in fact I would say you won't get nearly as much out of the game if you aren't already a fan of the manga/anime. If you are tho, it's a easy recomendation, especially since good OP games are a rarity.

Main Post

Last edited:

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
9. Metroid Fusion - 05/02/2020

While justifiably criticized for its linearity (personally the bigger problem is the occasional "shoot the right brick to progress" piece the game occasionally foists on you) Metroid Fusion is a tense and really fun adventure through a space station gone awry, and the bio-horror elements really work with the Metroid universe. I lowkey kind of love how much damage you take.

Bosh

Oct 26, 2017
#:14 Dark Souls II: Crown of the Ivory King (1/27/2020) | 8/10 | PS4 | ~ 5 Hours | Recommend: Y
# Overall -8 | Out of the 3 DLC's this had the most normal layout, but also the best content
Gameplay -8.2 | Variety in boss & enemy types lead to it testing your skills from multiple ranges all at once.
Sound -8 | Similar to the main game, good but nothing crazy.
Story/Online -9 | Really enjoyed the bosses as well as how the enviroment changed certain factors.
Asking Price-8.33 |Good amount of content for DLC

15big-1.png
#15: Nioh: Dragon of the North (1/27/2020) | 8/10 | PS4 | ~ 5 Hours | Recommend: Y
# Overall -8 | First round of Nioh DLC, first area presents new challenges and fantastic boss fights
Gameplay -8.6 | Bosses where well made, new areas had great depth to them.
Sound -8 | Similar to main game
Story/Online -8 | Sets off the campaign for DLC's with interesting backstory
Asking Price-7.67 | Good amount of content for DLC, side missions not fantastic

16big.png
#16: Nioh Defiant Honor (1/29/2020) | 7/10 | PS4 | ~ 5 Hours | Recommend: Y
# Overall -8 | A bit of a letdown compared to the first DLC but still fun to play
Gameplay -8.4 | Tight controls and combat still holds up, enemy variety not changed much from main game.
Sound -7 | I am sure its similar to main game but I started to notice background noises less during this dlc
Story/Online -7 | 2 story areas are very cool to go through and deep, but once you have done them that is it.
Asking Price-7.35 | Less contant than first DLC, also side missions subpar

17big.png
#17: Death Stranding (1/31/2020) | 10/10 | PS4 | ~ 75 Hours | Recommend: Y
# Overall -10 | Fantastic experience from start to finish. A game thats main enemy is the terrain and a joy to overcome
Gameplay -9.4 | Tons of great systems working in this game, building out structures for yourself or expanding on others was awesome.
Sound -10 | Sound is seriously good, voice acting, soundtrack & background noises are top notch
Story/Online -10 | I really enjoyed the story and the data/emails you get to provide filler. It was a very interesting world to learn about
Asking Price-9.33 | Ton of great content you can jump back into, if you enjoy the main loop its very addicting.

18big.png
#18: The Last of Us: Left Behind (1/31/2020) | 9/10 | PS4 | ~ 2 Hours | Recommend: Y
# Overall -9 | One of the best DLC's I have ever played, just wish it was longer!
Gameplay -9.2 | The gameplay is tense and does a fantastic job mixing the two narritives it is trying to tell.
Sound -10 | The sound is one of the main elements to the gameplay and is what makes it so tense. Very well done.
Story/Online -10 | Not only was the actual story good, but they expanded on level designs in having human enemies square off with non human ones
Asking Price-8 | DLC is quite short and can be beaten in one playthrough, its worth picking up to play, just wished it was longer!

19big.png
#:19 Nioh: Bloodshed End (2/4/2020) | 8/10 | PS4 | ~ 6 Hours | Recommend: Y
# Overall -8 | Conclusion to Nioh's DLC, great enemies, level design and content added.
Gameplay -8.4 | Expanding on areas from the main game, stages (Especially final one) are very cool to play through
Sound -7 | Seriously the sound in the last 2 DLC's really esccapes me.
Story/Online -7 | The actual story conclusion wasn't fantastic but the levels and areas it gives are great to play through.
Asking Price-8.33 | DLC has good amount of content and the abyss adds a fun endless element to the game.

Memory Pak

Aug 29, 2018
In an attempt to counterbalance the general misery at the start of 2020, I've played mostly comfortable Nintendo stuff so far. May have been a bit generous with these rating, there's a case to made for each one to lower them by a star, so might change them later.
EDIT: Adjusted all three down a star. Feels more appropriate.

Shoutouts to the great post layouts from everyone! Snowfruit Spyware chrominance ThisOneHasNoName Bosh wraith2021 Whimsicalish DoradoWinston Tambini NarcAn spring to mind, and I'm forgetting loads of others. Makes the thread really fun to keep up with. Unbelievable that PUNQ is so close to 52 already haha.

5dlovAWm.jpg

01. Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker (2014/2015, Wii U) ★★★☆☆
A mere thirteen months after delivering their platforming masterpiece Super Mario 3D World, Nintendo's EAD Tokyo studio had this game done & shipped. Yes, the project was obviously aided by the library of assets, sound effects, and engine which had been built for their previous release; and yes, this one was helmed by different key staff, so perhaps development started earlier... But given the circumstances (Wii U's dire straits) it's still impressive how much content they cranked out for Captain Toad.
Said content has you maneuvering through gorgeous, tightly packed, box-like levels full of hidden nooks and crannies. Pick up gems along the way, solve puzzles, and sneak past enemies to reach the goal. Carefully planning your moves and studying the environment is rewarded with more trinkets. Since the Toads are slow, can't jump, and have no easy method of attack, you'll occassionally feel like you're playing baby's first stealth game, haha.
I do have some complaints; the Gamepad usage feels just as gimmicky here as it did in 3D World: blow in the mic, aim on the touch screen, camera controls mapped to gyro sensors, you know the drill. Additionally, the music is rather grating, due to an over-reliance on flutes and recorders. It's not helped either by the sound effects (lots of whistles) and Toad's shrill voice. There's also some simple user interface improvements that could've been made, like a level restart button and more obviously placed options menu. Lastly, I could lose the post-credits attempt to connect it to Mario 3D World.
Overall though, a very pleasant, low-stress game that executes pretty well on most of its ideas.

Cmk1Xzxm.png

02. Kirby and the Rainbow Curse a.k.a. Kirby and the Rainbow Paintbrush (2015, Wii U) ★★☆☆☆
Fairly obvious (spiritual) successor to the 2005 DS highlight Kirby: Canvas Curse/Power Paintbrush. You draw a path, and Kirby rolls wherever you guide him.This one opts for a claymation-inspired art style, and it's a good look. Crisp and cute. Bummer the game is played entirely on the touch screen, which has a lower resolution, but the charm still translates decently.
The game itself isn't as charming, unfortunately. The controls never really feel snappy enough, meaning you're always over-correcting; rarely do your plans execute flawlessly. There's a degree of enjoyment derived from bumbling through the levels, and it's not unmanageable, but you'll often just miss out on some trinket because Kirby follows your guidance at too leisurely a pace.
The levels start out pretty dull, but towards the latter half they start doing interesting things. I particularly liked the gondola and submarine stages, as well as some of the rocketship escape sequences. It's too bad the game doesn't have more of those types of ideas... for a 4-hour campaign there's some dissapointing repetition here. This is most noticeable during the bossfights, which are fun, but since they repeat them all twice, their impact lessens significantly. Luckily the game ends on a high note with a great final level and a fun boss battle, as is series tradition, which at least leaves a strong final impression.

iNbyINYm.png

03. Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones (2005, Wii U) ★★★☆☆
Story-wise this is the least interesting Fire Emblem of the GBA/GC bunch. Everything feels very paint by numbers: 5 mystical stones lay scattered over the land. Together, they hold the return of ancient evils at bay. Now, n unknown force is destroying them one by one, whatever could their purpose be?! Can our two heroes, the siblings Eirika and Ephraim, put an end to this before it's too late...?
Story aside though, Sacred Stones introduces some new elements to the series. Units can now promote in 2 different ways, rather than follow a fixed path. This can lead to fun combinations: wanna put a Knight on a horse instead of becoming a General? Swap out your Pegasus for a Wyvern? Equip your healer with offensive magic? It's all possible. Sacred Stones also introduces the split narrative: Eirika and Ephraim each have a route of their own for about a third of the game. This really became a series staple with Fire Emblem Fates and more recently Three Houses, but I think it originates from this one? Combined with the branching class changes, post-game quests and secret characters, you really start to notice a focus on replayability.
Unfortunately, the maps here weren't as interesting: one route has no ship battles at all, and I really liked the castle defense stages from Fire Emblem 7 which are reduced in amount here. Furthermore, I found very few likable characters to care about, which isn't helped by the bland (and slow!) protagonists. Maybe I lost the wrong people to get more worthwhile interactions (r.i.p. Ross, Garcia, Joshua, Marisa, and the others), but I defaulted to what I always do: stuff the team with all the flying units and round things out with anyone who has blue/purple/green hair. Also very dumb how this game contains a literal young-girl-but-secretly-a-dragon trope, luckily she isn't sexualised. They do try to make the villain somewhat pitiful, but it doesn't really land until the very last mission. Despite these weak characters and story though, the core Fire Emblem gameplay is some real comfort food material. Every turn you're making exciting risk-reward wagers, and pulling off narrow victories feels great.

Last edited:

Whimsicalish

Dec 30, 2019
Midwest
09 | My Time at Portia
JtdDhLg.png

PC Steam | Feb 5 | 93 hrs | 4/5

I had more fun in this game than I thought lol. I figured this was a Stardew Valley clone at first, but it has it's own charm. There is a ton to do and explore; I still don't have every achievement. Many of the residents in Portia have personalities and some have their own quest lines. I didn't bother much with raising animals or crops, because the building kept me more entertained. Toward the end I was waiting around for things to build in my factory. (Also the factory is a godsend.)

I stopped almost as soon as I got the last main story line achievement. It took me so long haha.

I could possibly see myself coming back to get more achievements later. Right now, I feel ready to move on to my next adventure.

Main Post

Whimsicalish

Dec 30, 2019
Midwest
In an attempt to counterbalance the general misery at the start of 2020, I've played mostly comfortable Nintendo stuff so far. May have been a bit generous with these rating, there's a case to made for each one to lower them by a star, so might change them later.

Shoutouts to the great post layouts from everyone! Snowfruit Spyware chrominance ThisOneHasNoName Bosh wraith2021 Whimsicalish DoradoWinston Tambini NarcAn spring to mind, and I'm forgetting loads of others. Makes the thread really fun to keep up with. Unbelievable that PUNQ is so close to 52 already haha.

5dlovAWm.jpg

01. Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker (2014/2015, Wii U) ★★★★☆
A mere thirteen months after delivering their platforming masterpiece Super Mario 3D World, Nintendo's EAD Tokyo studio had this game done & shipped. Yes, the project was obviously aided by the library of assets, sound effects, and engine which had been built for their previous release; and yes, this one was helmed by different key staff, so perhaps development started earlier... But given the circumstances (Wii U's dire straits) it's still impressive how much content they cranked out for Captain Toad.
Said content has you maneuvering through gorgeous, tightly packed, box-like levels full of hidden nooks and crannies. Pick up gems along the way, solve puzzles, and sneak past enemies to reach the goal. Carefully planning your moves and studying the environment is rewarded with more trinkets. Since the Toads are slow, can't jump, and have no easy method of attack, you'll occassionally feel like you're playing baby's first stealth game, haha.
I do have some complaints; the Gamepad usage feels just as gimmicky here as it did in 3D World: blow in the mic, aim on the touch screen, camera controls mapped to gyro sensors, you know the drill. Additionally, the music is rather grating, due to an over-reliance on flutes and recorders. It's not helped either by the sound effects (lots of whistles) and Toad's shrill voice. There's also some simple user interface improvements that could've been made, like a level restart button and more obviously placed options menu. Lastly, I could lose the post-credits attempt to connect it to Mario 3D World.
Overall though, a very pleasant, low-stress game that executes pretty well on most of its ideas.

Cmk1Xzxm.png

02. Kirby and the Rainbow Curse a.k.a. Kirby and the Rainbow Paintbrush (2015, Wii U) ★★★☆☆
Fairly obvious (spiritual) successor to the 2005 DS highlight Kirby: Canvas Curse/Power Paintbrush. You draw a path, and Kirby rolls wherever you guide him.This one opts for a claymation-inspired art style, and it's a good look. Crisp and cute. Bummer the game is played entirely on the touch screen, which has a lower resolution, but the charm still translates decently.
The game itself isn't as charming, unfortunately. The controls never really feel snappy enough, meaning you're always over-correcting; rarely do your plans execute flawlessly. There's a degree of enjoyment derived from bumbling through the levels, and it's not unmanageable, but you'll often just miss out on some trinket because Kirby follows your guidance at too leisurely a pace.
The levels start out pretty dull, but towards the latter half they start doing interesting things. I particularly liked the gondola and submarine stages, as well as some of the rocketship escape sequences. It's too bad the game doesn't have more of those types of ideas... for a 4-hour campaign there's some dissapointing repetition here. This is most noticeable during the bossfights, which are fun, but since they repeat them all twice, their impact lessens significantly. Luckily the game ends on a high note with a great final level and a fun boss battle, as is series tradition, which at least leaves a strong final impression.

iNbyINYm.png

03. Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones (2005, Wii U) ★★★★☆
Story-wise this is the least interesting Fire Emblem of the GBA/GC bunch. Everything feels very paint by numbers: 5 mystical stones lay scattered over the land. Together, they hold the return of ancient evils at bay. Now, n unknown force is destroying them one by one, whatever could their purpose be?! Can our two heroes, the siblings Eirika and Ephraim, put an end to this before it's too late...?
Story aside though, Sacred Stones introduces some new elements to the series. Units can now promote in 2 different ways, rather than follow a fixed path. This can lead to fun combinations: wanna put a Knight on a horse instead of becoming a General? Swap out your Pegasus for a Wyvern? Equip your healer with offensive magic? It's all possible. Sacred Stones also introduces the split narrative: Eirika and Ephraim each have a route of their own for about a third of the game. This really became a series staple with Fire Emblem Fates and more recently Three Houses, but I think it originates from this one? Combined with the branching class changes, post-game quests and secret characters, you really start to notice a focus on replayability.
Unfortunately, the maps here weren't as interesting: one route has no ship battles at all, and I really liked the castle defense stages from Fire Emblem 7 which are reduced in amount here. Furthermore, I found very few likable characters to care about, which isn't helped by the bland (and slow!) protagonists. Maybe I lost the wrong people to get more worthwhile interactions (r.i.p. Ross, Garcia, Joshua, Marisa, and the others), but I defaulted to what I always do: stuff the team with all the flying units and round things out with anyone who has blue/purple/green hair. Also very dumb how this game contains a literal young-girl-but-secretly-a-dragon trope, luckily she isn't sexualised. They do try to make the villain somewhat pitiful, but it doesn't really land until the very last mission. Despite these weak characters and story though, the core Fire Emblem gameplay is some real comfort food material. Every turn you're making exciting risk-reward wagers, and pulling off narrow victories feels great.
Thanks for the shoutout! I'm with you on the creative posts. I love seeing how others get creative to show screenshots too. :)
I'm loving your selection of games. I don't own Captain Toad, but it's one I want to play.

Whimsicalish

Dec 30, 2019
Midwest
Never posted a January update, so here we go:

I also managed to finish up the Platinum for Death Stranding this year, which means my current Platinum count for 2020 is a whopping 3. For contrast, most years my average is probably 1 for the whole year. I knew those Persona dancing games would be good for something!

My two picks for January are Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order and River City Girls. Strangely, both are on the hard side for me, and usually I don't like hard games; I often feel drained by them, rather than exhilarated by the challenge. Both games managed to be just difficult enough to make victory feel rewarding and hard-earned, without feeling like I was spending my leisure time punishing myself repeatedly. I'm not sure if I'm ready for a Souls-like yet, but Jedi Fallen Order has at least given me what I think is a taste of what that might be like, and I'm more open to the idea now. As for River City Girls, I've always been down with brawlers (though bad at them), and it's the spiritual successor to the Scott Pilgrim game I've always wanted and more. It oozes with style and charm, and aside from having a really rough time with the first boss, I enjoyed pretty much every minute.

I've already finished two games in February, so I'm in a good spot! The theme for the beginning of the year has been digging up old and unfinished games from the backlog, and February will likely be no exception; I plan to return to Metro Exodus and I haven't spent enough time with the new port of Atelier Ayesha, so those are my two big focuses. I'll also be trying my hand at The Sexy Brutale for the 52 Games monthly game club. In a way, having so many major games abandon the first few months of the year has been a blessing for my backlog, and I'm quite happy for the opportunity to clean house a bit.
Love the layout for each game. Very clean and sharp!

FRANKEINSTEIN

Oct 27, 2017
AZ
Thimbleweed-Park-Review-1.jpg

11. Thimbleweed Park (PS4) Feb 5 10 Hrs ★★★★
I enjoyed the humor, the puzzles, and gameplay. Maybe got a tad bit too long by the end but overall quite enjoyed my time with it.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
14: Castlevania. End: 2/5/2020. 90 minutes. Liked.

Sometimes I have fun going back to the classics. And the original Castlevania is one of those games. I don't think it has aged as well as Super Castlevania IV (which I played last year), but I'm planning on finishing off the Castlevania Collection this year (except for Simon's Quest. I don't want to play that again, lol). That means Dracula's Curse is all that's left.

Whimsicalish

Dec 30, 2019
Midwest
10 | Choice of Robots
TrqCJPs.png

PC Steam | Feb 5 | 16 hrs | 4/5

My first game in 2020 to collect all achievements! Choice of Robots is a text choose-your-own-adventure game. It's really just reading, lots and lots of reading. I enjoyed it much more than I previously thought. There are some hilarious events that made me literally laugh out loud. After I beat it the first few times, I was interested in searching for more of their games.

I don't like the one save point; you can't save in the middle of a choice then reload and go both paths quickly. I get why you wouldn't have that in a choose your own adventure, but it was much more work on my end. Thus why I have 16 hours in a text only game. Toward the end I was barely reading anymore; just clicking on options I haven't tried before and hoping I had the correct, high stats.

Main Post

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
header.jpg

Game #6 - Glass Masquerade
Time: 4 hours

Of all things I did not expect to grab me as much as it did, a jigsaw game was certainly up there. But this was shockingly good, with beautiful art style in the various glass mural style puzzles from various countries, it's a bit short but it's super well made and I pretty much played it in one session. Not much to say really, it's "just" a jigsaw puzzle game with gorgeous art, so you pretty much know what you are going to get. Highly recommended if you are looking for a chill experience.

Main Post

Bosh

Oct 26, 2017

#20: STAR WARS KOTOR (2/5/2020) | 8/10 | Xbox One | ~ 24 Hours | Recommend: Y
# Overall -8 | Best Star Wars story I have seen, combined with a fun combat system
Gameplay -8.2 | Good controls, build options slightly limited by Star Wars universe.
Sound 8- | Good sountrack and variety of voice acting. VA can be hit or miss but I appreciate everyone has it!
Story/Online -8 | While the Story has some typical Star Wars cliches and can jump occasionally, its still a great story (With a cool twist!)
Asking Price-8.33 | Lots of content to go through between main story and side missions.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
31. Half Life
fN9g-0R-Gw10aMbdEpwegJmjxhBIFHOAG4j24GYOGFbEz6JpBya43tKGhwaBC0ABAPoKNu9xF9Rkj_C80dto07cF1Uf_W6CGx2i5on8Cf1XfvMT68NYW5casXWY12Ym4CMcmjJSOQaJS8xbeY1zbDlz90mrwXw

Never thought I'd ever ACTUALLY play Half Life, but I can finally see why its gets its deserved praise. Indeed, it has its flaws but the impressiveness, the weapons SFX and the exploration aspects of the game are its strong suits. Also did this game have like 3 or so voice actors only or something?
Doubt I'd ever play it again outside of Black Mesa because holy heck did enemies get annoying by the finale.

Rirse

Jun 29, 2019
Here the games for February 5th and February 6th. First is Gemfire for the SNES

FqF8DUp.jpg

9uT7HHF.jpg

A Koei strategy game that I loved playing back in the day that I still find enjoyment in playing. The actual war segements (not picture) are not too complex, but the actual building of your region is addicting at times. Can easily start it up and notice three years has passed on the top screen.

o5dEybm.jpg

3kq8bQj.png

And today game is Skies of Arcadia: Legends for the Gamecube (do not own the Dreamcast original). I beat it back in the day and wanting to play through it as I grow very close to finishing Pokemon Crystal. Just wonder if I should switch to it first or finish Gradia that I posted about a few weeks ago.

Also I finished Pokemon Crystal, so that the fourth game finished.

Last edited:

laoni

Oct 25, 2017
header.jpg

header.jpg

header.jpg

header.jpg

5-8. Life is Strange 2, Episodes 2-5 (PC) - 17hrs

Overall, I enjoyed LiS2 less than LiS1, but, I don't think this game is bad, by any means (Chapter 4 though was very weak/rough). While it was really nice to be scooting across the states and having such a wide variety in environments, the fact that you also had a cycling cast of characters to go with it meant none of them really got to stay and bond, and you were just told you'd been with these people for months at the start of an episode. I felt like there was more meaningful choice in this game versus LiS, because your actions didn't just affect you but Daniel too, and I think it was perfect timing for the game to come out, and bring a little awareness towards issues that non-white presenting folks in the US can have, especially in Trump's America. So, overall, weaker than LiS too, but, I'm glad that Dontnod tackled the subject.
In the end, I got the Redemption ending, because going to Puerto Lobos was Sean's goal, not Daniel's, and he could have a better life in the US, even though ti would make Sean's life worsen.

Last edited:

TheOneJat

Oct 1, 2018
Master Post edited. 22/52.

22. Love - Short but sweet pixel platformer that has been in my library for almost 5-6 years. 3/5

I think this dev made another game called 'kuso' that I want to check out at some point too.

I love reading through everyones updates, keep it up folks.